[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

9 minutes ago, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

The response in Japan seems positive!

Glad Japan viewers apreciated MA

So cheers MA team, thank you for a life time drama.

IMG_20180517_202647.jpg

• Like 5

I was just realized that Ji An’s house was number 1, I saw it several times on that blue rustic door, so I asked myself why did the director chosen that house, while they were actually filming not inside that house, but they shot the scenes at a knock down room, maybe in some kind of studio, I saw it in one of instagram

pictures shared by the production staff a month ago. So, could it be the director wants to give a hint that Ji An is actually Dong Hoon’s first love after all ? And Dong Hoon is also Ji An’s first love, because all of this time, it was Dong Hoon that crazily searched for her to her house, and opened that number one door. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

33 minutes ago, kdramaqueennn said:

I was just realized that Ji An’s house was number 1, I saw it several times on that blue rustic door, so I asked myself why did the director chosen that house, while they were actually filming not inside that house, but they shot the scenes at a knock down room, maybe in some kind of studio, I saw it in one of instagram

pictures shared by the production staff a month ago. So, could it be the director wants to give a hint that Ji An is actually Dong Hoon’s first love after all ? And Dong Hoon is also Ji An’s first love, because all of this time, it was Dong Hoon that crazily searched for her to her house, and opened that number one door. 

Yes, I believe the #1 is very deliberate.  Someone pointed this out quite a few pages back.  Remember when Yoon Hee asked him in one of the flashback scenes, "Who is number one to you?" or something like that?  This must be the answer to that question.  If I have time later I'll search for that post.

Edited to add: and I firmly believe they did not just choose that house because its house number is 1, I think they put the number there themselves.

• Like 11

Hi everyone I'm new here and I just wanted to share how this song aptly encapsulates how DH felt when JA was on the run.  

You Are The Reason

There goes my heart beating
'Cause you are the reason
I'm losing my sleep
Please come back now
There goes my mind racing
And you are the reason
That I'm still breathing
I'm hopeless now
I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
Oh, 'cause I need you to see
That you are the reason
There goes my hand shaking
And you are the reason
My heart keeps bleeding
I need you now
If I could turn back the clock
I'd make sure the light defeated the dark
I'd spend every hour, of every day
Keeping you safe
And I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
Oh, 'cause I need you to see
That you are the reason, oh
Edited by myahhussi
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’ve rewatched My Ajusshi countless time :lol:

but since the news broke in this forum more than a week ago that My Ajusshi will be broadcasted for the first time in Japan, I have restrained my self from rewatching it, determined (painfully) to wait until today to watch ep 1, as the Japanese viewers dowatching this gem for the first time, and excited to look forward to watch 2 episodes per week :D

nothing from current kdrama offering excited me (but I planned to watch Life on Mars after it ended). My drama watching plate is now only filled with jdramas and wuxia, so to fill kdrama routine I rewatch some of my old favourites like Drinking Solo (romcom with lots of hearts), and On the Way to the Airport (georgeous cinematography, and I need some good cry :P

tidbits on current discussion here:

1. my own observation among my social circle: I found it amusing that tv drama about noona romance can be so well-accepted, while I notice that in real life such romance has actually be seen as critiques-prone, sometimes can even go on to nasty comments from people on the couple’s social circle. On the contrary, ajusshi-young woman romance in tv drama drawn controversies and strong opposition, while in real life that kind of romance is seen normal, common, and could be so encouraged..tsk tsk.. people are hard to be understood,,really :sweatingbullets:

2. I’m part of people who is a bit worried about how drama could affect non-adult viewers’ perception. My country almost has no-filters when it comes to what kind of tv show that can be accessed by everyone (adult and non-adult), so I think tv should stop making trashy show that teenagers could be mislead into. In that sense, yes social control (social critique) can be helpful. It’s good that there are some people who are critical about drama glorifying ajusshi prying on young women. but since that’s not what My Ajusshi is about, it’s still upsetting me that this wonderful tv show got flack on sin they didn’t commit. I just hope that the crew didn’t get too dispirited on having such backlash, even months after the show ended. 

Why coudn’t the nasty commenters stop? Seriously these commenters should just have a life, seems they don’t have any B)

now, on a lighter comment, after some firsts because of this show (buying OST CD, countless times rewatch, reading fanfics), I’m now even following MNet Japan’s twitter account because of My Ajusshi, and struggling with inaccurate translations of every tweets, later I might even nag my only 1 japanese friend to translate it for me, if I ever found a tweet that indicates major update on My Ajusshi, I still couldn’t get enough of it (bonus if it involved DH JA being loveydovey) :D 

So any news update just like the post saying the japanese reception has been good  is much appreciated, you guys are the best! :D

• Like 9

One of the major Kdrama bloggers has just given our show an A+.  Read her massive review and leave her a comment if you're so inclined: https://thefangirlverdict.com/2018/07/13/review-my-mister-my-ahjussi/

Review: My Mister [My Ahjussi]

THE SHORT VERDICT:

This show is like its titular protagonist; both start out quiet, gloomy and unassuming, but over the course of 16 episodes, both reveal themselves to be beautiful, moving heroes who show us the power of kindness, and the grace of humanity.

Assured writing, tender directing, and outstanding performances from the cast all come together to make My Mister an absorbing watch that feels organic, real and raw. The OST, which is delicate, thoughtful, and ethereal in turn, is meticulously crafted and applied, and effectively lifts the watch to another level.

Dark and beautiful. And at the same time, warm and beautiful. A must-see.

THE LONG VERDICT:

If I’d been left to my own devices, it’s quite possible that I wouldn’t have given this show a second glance. Mostly, I wasn’t immediately attracted by the heavy vibe of the posters, and Show’s gloomy-sounding theme. I don’t specifically go looking for heaviness in my dramas, after all, and this seemed like a show that deserved a wide berth.

Thankfully, you guys wouldn’t leave me to my own devices. As this show was airing, and even after it finished its run, there were so many of you who took the time to persuade me that this was a show I would enjoy; that this was a show that was worth my time.

And now, here I am, having loved this one, and given it my heart and my tears. Thank you, y’all. 

I think a good way to put it, is that right off the bat, I felt intrigued by this show, almost against my will. I don’t tend to gravitate towards melodramas (I think, anyway, coz I’ve been liking more melos than I’d expected to, of late), and I thought I would prefer a lighter show than this. And yet, right after episode 1, I felt interested and intrigued, in spite of myself. I was curious to know more about these characters and what they would do, and what would happen if they did do those things.

Just, so absorbing and engaging, all the way through.

The only thing was, I found that I couldn’t watch more than an episode at a time. I just couldn’t do back-to-back episodes of this one. I needed time to recover a little bit, and my heart needed a moment – or ten – every time I finished an episode. This show just had a way of creeping under my skin and pulling my heart in different directions, that I needed time to breathe and recover, after an episode. My heart got too full. 

Read the whole thing here:  https://thefangirlverdict.com/2018/07/13/review-my-mister-my-ahjussi/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

That's such a beautiful, well-written review @sadiesmith. Worth the long read, people!

I do disagree with her on the DH-JA relationship, but I guess the discussion on the nature of their relationship will be alive forevaaa~ :lol:

- I find it very interesting that she interpreted this bit literally.

Later, when Dong Hoon returns home and Yoon Hee asks where he’s coming from, he replies that he had dinner with a friend. That’s significant, in my eyes. He didn’t say colleague; this is the first time he’s referred to Ji An as a friend, and I think this is the moment that Dong Hoon becomes cognizant that he sees Ji An as more than just a colleague.

The way I thought about it - DH obviously can't talk about spending time / walking home / eating out almost every night with JA with his wife openly, so he tells a little white lie. But YH immediately knows something's off, cuz DH doesn't have any friends (except that monk who lives up in the mountain!).

- Another troublesome literal interpretation: all the "hanbon"s / "just once"s.

She did NOT say that she'll buy him a meal "just once". And he did NOT say, "Let's shake hands, just once". Based on what our fellow Soompier @brose_stv said, hanbon is mostly a filler word, in this context. Here's the reference:

They walk away, each looking back at the other’s retreating back, just once.

Yeah, right. :rolleyes: Try this interpretation.

I admit that I also saw the ending to be bittersweet... until I took the time to rewatch and digest all the dozens of thoughtful ruminations analyzing it frame by frame. I really think you'll get different vibes / messages depending on whether you watch this show once, or a few times over.

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, h2ogirl said:

I do disagree with her on the DH-JA relationship, but I guess the discussion on the nature of their relationship will be alive forevaaa~ :lol:

I know people on the forum have expressed differing views and it’s mostly the “loveline folks” who can’t move on, but I have come to realize our different interpretations of My Ahjussi in many ways stem from the different ways we love and what love means to us.

I’ve come to a stage in life where I have a broad, generous view of love. Love is having someone in your heart, even if you’re not together and can never be together. Love is doing things for someone without thinking, including risking your life. Love doesn’t always have a happy ending. And love’s natural ending is not always marriage. Love is something you feel in your heart.

So I found it rather ridiculous and laughable, really, that this reviewer cited all these examples of Dong Hoon running to Ji An, risking his life for her, fighting for her....and calling them besties. She even said they need to be around each other forever...in what way is that not love??? In what world do you live in that this is not love???

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Here's another little but important detail that shows yet again how much restraint Park Dong Hoon imposes on himself when it comes to Ji An.  Right around minute 2:00, you can see him taketime a deep breath before he finally touches her arms to encourage her towards her grandma.  It's like he really prefers not to have to touch her at all, even though no one would think anything of such gesture at this kind of situation.  

And here's a little off-topic bonus :wub::

Spoiler

• Like 7

2 hours ago, justamom said:

I know people on the forum have expressed differing views and it’s mostly the “loveline folks” who can’t move on, but I have come to realize our different interpretations of My Ahjussi in many ways stem from the different ways we love and what love means to us.

I’ve come to a stage in life where I have a broad, generous view of love. Love is having someone in your heart, even if you’re not together and can never be together. Love is doing things for someone without thinking, including risking your life. Love doesn’t always have a happy ending. And love’s natural ending is not always marriage. Love is something you feel in your heart.

So I found it rather ridiculous and laughable, really, that this reviewer cited all these examples of Dong Hoon running to Ji An, risking his life for her, fighting for her....and calling them besties. She even said they need to be around each other forever...in what way is that not love??? In what world do you live in that this is not love???

Well atleast a lot of people here have the same thoughts about her conclusion of DH and JA’s relationship. I literally saw this review minutes after it was posted and was surprised at how loooong it was. I skimmed through it and was just interested about her thoughts in regards DH and JA’s relationship. 

I felt dissatisfied. I was also a bit hesitant to share the review right away until I could digest it all. I guess what really bothers me about reviews that tend to be on the no loveline side, is the fact that they  seem to refuse to acknowledge the love there. DH and JA’s bond gets toned down to merely just being ‘friends’? who share the same pains with each other. And it really takes away from the feel you get from the drama. I do know she’s acknowledged them being soulmates buttttt thats not it 

• Like 7

Thanks @sadiesmith for sharing the review.

I think it's a very nice and thoroughly review, despite the author's different take on the romance nature between PDH and LJA.

One thing I would like to point out that the author did not mention anything about PDH's suicidal tendencies.

I don't know if the author did not see it or did see it but did not want to acknowledge it.

But, I like the author's take on LJA's strong will to live.

Ji An often looks like she’s the living dead, but when I think about it, she is amazingly tenacious, and in that sense, you could say that her thirst for life might be greater than the average person. It’s just that circumstances have sucked her so dry, that she often looks and sounds like she has barely any strength left, to carry on living. And yet, she does just that. No matter what comes her way, she just keeps on finding a way, and carries on living. There’s just something deeply admirable, about that.

I see it as the balance to PDH, who lack of will to live.

(Although he did have a a lot of internal strength. He was beaten down, falling down even thought about death numerous times, but he always manage to get up, told himself not to die today. One of the traits I admire from him)

========

The intensity with which each of them needs the other, really hit me hard, this episode, and I wanted Dong Hoon and Ji An to just be together, and be around each other, and be besties, forever.

Well, you know what they say

"The best happiness is marrying your best friend" (wink wink)

• Like 7

Another tiny observation in the above attached clip where jian meets her Halmoni .... you can see PDH suppress his cry at 2:00 when he takes a deep breath before touching jian. He is sad .. very very sad. And I don’t think it’s just because Halmoni passed away. He is sad because he can’t stand to see jian in this state .. she is broken and it is literally hurting him and breaking his heart into pieces. And jian is not sad because of him , she is crying bc of halmoni. Remember all those confusing, beating around bush  talks about how I can’t stand you being in pain bc of me, and if you are in pain bc of me then I can’t go on. PDH just dint say it directly  that he cant see jian in pain for whatever the reason might be. His heart breaks to see jian cry and he will( in future ) do everything to see her happy. 

My take on people interpreting PDH and Jian relation as besties , well PDH is not the kind of man to seek out new friends and that too a female. He knows jian is very very special to him and his relation with her is something that he himself doesn’t understand and he knows that in his current situation ( age, shaky marriage)  he cannot talk openly about it to anyone. If he really considered her just a friend he would have openly spoken about her to his brothers, wife. But no , he gets defensive everytime they bring up jian. He knows what society thinks about them and even though it makes him uncomfortable he can’t let her go since she has become such an integral part of his life. 

In the last episode, Ki Hoon asks “how is she doing?”, “ she doesn’t call you?”. PDH says “why will she call me ?” and not a simple “no, she doesn’t call”. DH response felt like he was half expecting her to call him but wondering why she doesn’t call . He is sad that she might have moved on.

And coming to last scene I don’t what to say that’s not been said already.The scene might have been inline with shows theme to show them as fully healed people but it was so out of character for DH.He was way chirpier and acted like a teenage boy. This can only happen if 

1. He has fully moved on  from his marriage

2. He is committed to his marriage and is happy with Yoon Hee now. 

This is where shippers and non shippers are up in arms because both the parties can imagine all possibilities outside the show. 

Being a shipper I think second one is not a possibility. Yoon Hee was hardly staying with him for them to reconcile to the point where they are happy once again. DH is verbally constipated and up till the last moment he never spoke freely to this wife so how can we imagine him to mend his marriage. 

Pweeee that was long !!!

Regarding my own update, I stayed away from rewatching for a week bc everything is so fresh and I remember everything. I might have to give it few months to again rewatch so that when I do rewatch it feels fresh all over again. 

Till then I am relying on fanfic and thinking about taking plunge into Chinese fanfic ( google translation of course) !!!

And no I have not been able to move on and have not been able to start any other serial. Suddenly I feel like I have so much time in my hand now that I don’t have any kdrama to watch.. lol!!!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Ah, finally happy with Dong Hoon's "single tear" GIF.

tVfCz9R.gif

Visit the fan site for more upcoming GIFs (and awesome analyses). ;) 

---

I miss Lee Seon Kyun on my screen. T_T Especially in a lighter role, like in Coffee Prince. Thinking of starting Pasta. LSK and GHJ are individually so gooood at having chemistry with their co-stars. I'm interested to see what magic they made happen together.

No worries, Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An are still my #1 OTP. *prays hard for a reunion project*

• Like 13

11 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

Ah, finally happy with Dong Hoon's "single tear" GIF.

Visit the fan site for more upcoming GIFs (and awesome analyses). ;) 

---

I miss Lee Seon Kyun on my screen. T_T Especially in a lighter role, like in Coffee Prince. Thinking of starting Pasta. LSK and GYJ are individually so gooood at having chemistry with their co-stars. I'm interested to see what magic they made happen together.

No worries, Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An are still my #1 OTP. *prays hard for a reunion project*

Oh my gosh that cinematography!!!! Soo goooodddddd. Ive been lurking at the fansite too, well done to everyone’s work there and thanks:wub:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mylovelystar said:

Just sharing caps of our OTP

cr @.yumi^^

Age diff ??? What age diff ?? 

How can  PDH look so young .. I just can’t take my eyes off !! They just look SO.CUTE.TOGETHER !!!! 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 7