[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Hello all!  @justamom  Nope.  We're still here.  Just doing RL stuff in between rewatching and thinking about the many different angles of MA that we have yet to discover. :)

I saw the latest posts on the age gap thing being discussed again in light of the newly-airing Mr. Sunshine.  I've realized after thinking about my past encounters with KDrama that this age gap thing is a big deal for them, especially if the man is the one that's older.  I've seen YouTube videos and articles dealing primarily with the number of years between the leads of several drama series.  This was true of MA.  It was also true for About Time.  And to think Lee Sang Yoon and Lee Sung Kyung only had 9 years between them.  And the way they talk about it, it's as if the age gap is a handicap.  Makes me wonder if this will prevent any reunion between LSK and LJE in future projects.  I've seen significant clamor for them to do another project, especially a straightforward romance.  But the way things are, I don't know if any director will take a gamble on that, given that any project they do would still be primarily targeted for the Korean audience.  

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Oops I made a mistake in my translation. The Kim Tae Ri/ Lee Byeong Heon age gap is 12, not 22 years. I suppose that is more acceptable than 24 years?? To me that's not really an age gap. Maybe more...generation gap.

2 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

"Not yet of age female"? Lee Ji An? :blink: You're kidding me.

I think in Korea, as in Japan, coming of age is 20/21 years old. So Ji An in the show has only just come of age as an adult.

No offence at all to IU fans, and really I've become a fan of Lee Ji Eun as well after My Ahjussi, but I have to wonder if IU's cutesy image has something to do with it?  I know this has been said before but Kim Go Eun/Kim Tae Ri despite being younger/similar age have a much more mature image. I mean, the princess dress during her birthday party didn't really help ... and it kind of reinforced my impression of IU  targeting a much younger audience than the target audience for My Ahjussi/Lee Seon Gyun's usual shows.

• Like 7

So I was rewatching this scene where DH broke down in tears and came across with a comment that says, there was a line in ep 16 where DH was talking to his friend in the cafe "How's being a "Gu-Ruh-Gi?" Whch means that DH is still together with his wife and son and supports them financially. 

Can someone validate this please. Did his friend really say that?

Edited by myahhussi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, justamom said:

No offence at all to IU fans, and really I've become a fan of Lee Ji Eun as well after My Ahjussi, but I have to wonder if IU's cutesy image has something to do with it?  I know this has been said before but Kim Go Eun/Kim Tae Ri despite being younger/similar age have a much more mature image. I mean, the princess dress during her birthday party didn't really help ... and it kind of reinforced my impression of IU  targeting a much younger audience than the target audience for My Ahjussi/Lee Seon Gyun's usual shows.

I have always liked IU and have in fact watched her other dramas before this, but I 100% believe IU's image had much to do with the initial reaction.  Minutes after her announcement as only the potential lead, Korean social media (instagram, I think) exploded with strong opposition to this news, and I doubt that this would have happened had someone else been the one considered.  I do realize though that many of her antis were part of this, but also many of her younger, immature fans.  I wonder if that instagram post has since been removed, but you can sort of see it here in this alkpop post:

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/11/ius-fans-rage-against-reported-casting-in-tvns-my-mister

What I can't understand is why the news keeps bringing this up as a negative thing when the drama itself has been so well received.  And we are only two months from the conclusion.  Have they forgotten already how deeply they were touched?  This does not bode well at all for their chances at winning awards a year from now.:(

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, akhenaten said:

Hello all!  @justamom  Nope.  We're still here.  Just doing RL stuff in between rewatching and thinking about the many different angles of MA that we have yet to discover. :)

I saw the latest posts on the age gap thing being discussed again in light of the newly-airing Mr. Sunshine.  I've realized after thinking about my past encounters with KDrama that this age gap thing is a big deal for them, especially if the man is the one that's older.  I've seen YouTube videos and articles dealing primarily with the number of years between the leads of several drama series.  This was true of MA.  It was also true for About Time.  And to think Lee Sang Yoon and Lee Sung Kyung only had 9 years between them.  And the way they talk about it, it's as if the age gap is a handicap.  Makes me wonder if this will prevent any reunion between LSK and LJE in future projects.  I've seen significant clamor for them to do another project, especially a straightforward romance.  But the way things are, I don't know if any director will take a gamble on that, given that any project they do would still be primarily targeted for the Korean audience.  

I remember they asked about this in About Time press conference. I loved how Lee Sang Yoon answered the question jokingly saying that their (LSY and Lee Sung Kyung) similar heights made up for the age difference. :D

1 hour ago, justamom said:

I think so too...

Lee Ji Eun's IU image and the nation's little sister title could be the cause of MA receiving a lot of backlash about the age gap, even before its airing.

And, let's be honest, charming as Lee Sun Kyun is, he doesn't have the visual of for example Gong Yoo, Jo In Sung or Jung Woo Sung. That could also be the cause of the backlash too.

But, that's why LSK is the PERFECT Ahjussi. Because he's "real".

If Park Dong Hoon was played by more traditionally handsome actor, I might be awed by him, but I won't be in love with him.

And about the age gap...

IF Lee Ji An is your usual 21 yo, I might not be sailing this ship. But, like other in this forum have said before, she's only 21 physically, but her soul is 30.000 yo. 

She might not have the knowledge other adults know (like how to enter her grandma to a free nursing home), but she's matured through painful experiences.

And that made her equal to PDH. Or even more so, because PDH has the innocence of a nine year old boy :sweatingbullets:

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, myahhussi said:

So I was rewatching this scene where DH broke down in tears and came across with a comment that says, there was a line in ep 16 where DH was talking to his friend in the cafe "How's being a "Gu-Ruh-Gi?" Whch means that DH is still together with his wife and son and supports them financially. 

Can someone validate this please. Did his friend really say that?

Is this line actually spoken in the last scene?  I don't remember it.  But he could be divorced/separated and still supports his kid and Yoon Hee.  Does the term gu-ruh-gi (goose father) not apply when one is divorced?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think it's a combination of both her idol status and she was still carrying a lot of hate from Moon Lovers. I thought she was great in the Producers, and even though I liked ML I admit it was a mess. She wasn't the problem that everyone makes her out to be though, after seeing her in MA I am sure it was the script and direction. She's a far better actress than other female idols out there ( no hate but Suzy comes to mind). And LSK gets hate because he's not your typical hot older guy. He's attractive and has a voice to die for but yeah he's not Gong Yoo. Shame that people will hold onto that though, they are seriously missing out on a masterpiece of a drama. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

Sorry guys (and ladies) but like @sadiesmith here I think Lee Seon Gyun is hoooootttt

His voice alone turns me on.

[fans self gif here]

like, wayyyy hotter than Gong Yoo whom I find effeminate

so I don’t know what you all are talking about ;)

re: gireogi Appa yes, it means they are still married. But in many cases, being apart for so many years has put a great strain on their marriage and resulted in many couples separating, although less divorce

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, leslieknope said:

Sorry to interject but is the word 기러기 아빠 (Goose father) actually said in the last scene at the cafe? I can't for the life of me seem to be able to hear it.

This is a reply to @myahhussi as well.  I don't think the words for goose father were actually spoken by any character, at least I did not recall seeing the subtitle for it.  Here's dramamilk's recap/translation of that conversation:

https://www.dramamilk.com/my-ajusshi-my-mister-live-recap-episode-16-final/

-----------------------------

DH – My Kid and my Kids mom want to stay there until he goes to college.
Friend/Colleague – (no subject) spoke some English before?
DH – We sent him for English. Recently he is giving me a hard time because I can’t speak English. Pronunciations….ah. It’s different than our times.
Friend/Colleague – In English, if you can convey your meaning….haha
DH – Hey, can we do that? (Or we can’t even do that.)

That is a topic on DC as well because the phrasing they chose (and that is commonly used in Korea) makes it unclear. Unfortunately, I don’t know how to fix the translations on other sites. I hope this helps though

-----------------------------

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

So about that new reverse age-gap drama starring Song Hye Kyo and Park Bo Gum, so many comments on Koala's are saying this is like My Ajusshi.  Has My Ajusshi started a trend or what?

http://koalasplayground.com/2018/07/09/song-hye-kyo-and-park-bo-gum-confirmed-for-romance-k-drama-boyfriend/

You’re seriously expecting writing the level of My Ahjussi from the writer who wrote Entertainer and Pretty Boy?”

LOL!!!

and that is all.

• Like 2
  • LOL 8

THIS AGE GAP BROU-HAHA

Please do not judge me for saying this.... but I've been wanting to say this for so long already.

I have nothing against ahjummas or middle-aged women, we will all get older/mature eventually anyway.  And there is always that graceful way to get old, and still look just as fabulous, and be a woman of substance.  ;)

But I think all these over-the-top reactions to age gaps, criticizing if the male lead is way older than the female lead, but exalting if it is the female lead who is older --- seems to do just one thing ...TO FEED THE AHJUMMAS FANTASIES.... that whether guys are old or young, all will fall only for them and not for those cutesy, youthful type.  Now that is just delusional. UNREALISTIC. (knowing how the male species operate and behave--- well i'm not generalizing though :sweatingbullets: hahha).

The ahjummas in Korea might be really scary ...for Kdrama storylines to bend-over-backwards for them all the time.

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

7 minutes ago, berny said:

The ahjummas in Korea might be really scary ...for Kdrama storylines to bend-over-backwards for them all the time

Weelll....they just make up 80-90% of the viewing population for K Dramas. Most of the time.

I don't know about you, but most guys just watch news and sports. News and sports. (that's what Dong Hoon and his brothers were always watching too)

My Ahjussi was probably one of the first dramas in recent history to hit 50-50 gender ratio.

• Like 10

@justamom

IU has broad appeal in Korea and this was evident in the yearly Gallup Korea poll "which canvassed 4,200 people aged 13 to 59" released around Christmas 2017 (+6 months ago)

So it cannot be true that she has a cutesy image "targeting a much younger audience than the target audience for My Ahjussi"

Ref https://gallupkorea.blogspot.com/2017/12/2017-11_19.html

She was first in the poll

GYzWJna.jpg

And first in the 30 years and 40 years demographics (not to mention the 19~29)

aYYtwrt.jpg

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/entertainment/iu-is-south-koreas-singer-of-the-year

Excerpt “it was 24-year-old female artist IU, who triumphed in the poll conducted by Gallup Korea, which canvassed 4,200 people aged 13 to 59 across South Korea from July 6 to 26, Sept 1 to 29 and Nov 8 to 28.

....struck a chord among all the age groups.”

M7Fhd91.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, justamom said:

Sorry but when have IU or Fave Ent promote cutesy image for IU recently?

She transition away from the cutesy image her agency make her do in her early career at 2013 with her dramas and music. 2013 is the only year she do 2 drama a year and you can see the sharp contrast in the role of both her characters she play. Bel Ami was hold the cutesy image but You Are the Best! is very much her life story. She follow up this with The Producers which is basically Ji-ah as an idol.

She reinforce this by releasing Modern Times album at 2013 signalling the end of the cutesy image her agency put upon her.

IU-Modern_Times.jpg

She put to death the cutesy image by releasing A Flower Bookmark (Remake of old songs) album the year after.

So I do not think cutesy image is the cause of the controversy here but rather a fraction of the Korean have prejudiced against idols acting and just love to create controversy to discourage them from acting. This add to the fact that IU is the top artist in Korea so media love to sensationalise lies to sell their "news".

The princess dress at her birthday was as she put it in IUTV "3rd tier". This is her real princess dress.

More proof that IU is actually a real life Disney princess disusing as an idol:ph34r:

Spoiler

@widala  The Nation's Little Sister title have pass from IU a long time ago. No one in Korea call her that anymore. I only see other less inform countries that IU tours still using that title on her. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation's_Little_Sister

p.s.

13770495_1081179808603827_15934336647187

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, justamom said:

Oops I made a mistake in my translation. The Kim Tae Ri/ Lee Byeong Heon age gap is 12, not 22 years. I suppose that is more acceptable than 24 years?? To me that's not really an age gap. Maybe more...generation gap.

I think in Korea, as in Japan, coming of age is 20/21 years old. So Ji An in the show has only just come of age as an adult.

13 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I have always liked IU and have in fact watched her other dramas before this, but I 100% believe IU's image had much to do with the initial reaction.  Minutes after her announcement as only the potential lead, Korean social media (instagram, I think) exploded with strong opposition to this news, and I doubt that this would have happened had someone else been the one considered.  I do realize though that many of her antis were part of this, but also many of her younger, immature fans.  I wonder if that instagram post has since been removed, but you can sort of see it here in this alkpop post:

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2017/11/ius-fans-rage-against-reported-casting-in-tvns-my-mister

What I can't understand is why the news keeps bringing this up as a negative thing when the drama itself has been so well received.  And we are only two months from the conclusion.  Have they forgotten already how deeply they were touched?  This does not bode well at all for their chances at winning awards a year from now.:(

The perfect storm of controversy when My Ajusshi production was announced late last year. It started when a fraction of IU's immature Kpop fanbase flooded her IG with hate messages voicing out their  disappointment regarding  her drama role choices. They were expecting another Moon Lovers sequel or she would be paired with another pretty boy actor.  Some even threaten to leave her fandom if she chose My Ajusshi as her next project. The posts are still there in her SNS  so you guys can freely read all the awful messages. The reaction was so intense from her own immature fans that it actually made news as @sadiesmith highlighted above. Then the real IU haters/antis started to jump into the bandwagon and repeating her previous album lyric scandal by spreading false malicious rumors. After that, the korean feminazis started weighing in the issue because you know it's IU so any news about  her was a big deal in South Korea. Moreover,  Lee Sun Gyun is more of an indie actor. He is handsome and charming but he does not have enough fangirls to defend him against all the haters. Poor guy.

Now in Mr Sunshine, there was no big outrage right? The kdrama fans are cringing a bit but the majority are all open to the possible love angle between Kim Taeri and Lee Byung Hyun. Case point that there is always a big difference in maturity level between kdrama viewers and kpop fans. So I agree that IU's idol image has something to do with the controversy but in fairness she also gave Kim Won Suk a heads up early on. However, this PD really believed in her and wanted her for the role of Jian. She had no choice because IU was not crazy to turn down an offer from the great Kim Won Suk. She understood that working with this PD would elevate and challenged her as an actress. This decision was a no-brainer. And IU was right because not only she delivered a great performance but she also garnered so much respect as an actress from her sunbaes in the industry. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

29 minutes ago, timidjock0819 said:

The perfect storm of controversy when My Ajusshi production was announced late last year. It started when a fraction of IU's immature Kpop fanbase flooded her IG with hate messages voicing out their  disappointment regarding  her drama role choices. They were expecting another Moon Lovers sequel or she would be paired with another pretty boy actor.  Some even threaten to leave her fandom if she chose My Ajusshi as her next project. The posts are still there in her SNS  so you guys can freely read all the awful messages. The reaction was so intense from her own immature fans that it actually made news as @sadiesmith highlighted above. Then the real IU haters/antis started to jump into the bandwagon and repeating her previous album lyric scandal by spreading false malicious rumors. After that, the korean feminazis started weighing in the issue because you know it's IU so any news about  her was a big deal in South Korea. Moreover,  Lee Sun Gyun is more of an indie actor. He is handsome and charming but he does not have enough fangirls to defend him against all the haters. Poor guy.

Now in Mr Sunshine, there was no big outrage right? The kdrama fans are cringing a bit but the majority are all open to the possible love angle between Kim Taeri and Lee Byung Hyun. Case point that there is always a big difference in maturity level between kdrama viewers and kpop fans. So I agree that IU's idol image has something to do with the controversy but in fairness she also gave Kim Won Suk a heads up early on. However, this PD really believed in her and wanted her for the role of Jian. She had no choice because IU was not crazy to turn down an offer from the great Kim Won Suk. She understood that working with this PD would elevate and challenged her as an actress. This decision was a no-brainer. And IU was right because not only she delivered a great performance but she also garnered so much respect as an actress from her sunbaes in the industry. 

@timidjock0819, thank you for so clearly explaining what transpired.  Since I followed this drama from the moment LSK was cast, I saw firsthand the nasty messages from her immature fans both from Korea and outside.  But I had no clear idea that it was mostly her kpop fans, followed by her antis, and finally the feminazis.   It got so bad that I thought they would shelve the entire project for good.  This whole thing is so morbidly fascinating.  And yeah, so true that LSK is not an actor with an established fan base that would come out to defend him.  I was very very surprised when both actors and production team went ahead with it.  

• Like 6