[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

6 hours ago, rellea said:

The first episode opens to a bustling office scene. A female employee has a phone tucked under her chin while she arranges some documents and gives her lines. "In this case, I don't think that the....(?) Yes, concrete will not be strong enough (the strength of concrete is not sufficient). I think we will have to look for a different method of reinforcement."

<We will have to look for a different method of reinforcement>

While this line is said, the scene changes to Jian watering the plants. Could her act of giving water to the plants have meaning as well?

Lol I am sorry for bringing this up, but if we try to understand what's reinforced concrete I think it would help us better what the writer is trying to imply.  [and of all places we are talking about this for a drama :S]. 

Spoiler

Reinforced concrete (RC) is a composite material in which concrete's relatively low tensile strength is counteracted by the inclusion of reinforcement having higher tensile strength. The reinforcement is usually steel reinforcing bars and is usually embedded in the concrete before the concrete sets. Reinforcing schemes are generally designed to resist tensile stresses in particular regions of the concrete that might cause unacceptable cracking and/or structural failure.

So basically concrete is a composite material which is made of water, aggregate and cement and the steel reinforcements are embedded in the concrete since concrete doesn't have the tensile strength which comes from the reinforcement that is steel bars. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinforced_concrete

So in case of dong hoon if we consider the metaphor lol, dong hoon needs the reinforcement, and the right amount of it, which comes from ji an. Just like how without the proper system or amount of reinforcement, any concrete cast buildings might have a structural failure, or have cracks or might crash, in the same way, dong hoon's system might collapse without the right reinforcement. As they said, '(the strength of concrete is not sufficient)'. Is the writer talking about Yoon Hee here maybe? And by this '' I think we will have to look for a different method of reinforcement." -- giving us the indication that dong hoon needs to change his reinforcement bars and adopt a new one which is Ji An.

I don't know if we are digging too deep lol, but if this was also a parable that the writer wanted to add carefully, I would say this is just brilliant. An amazing metaphor indeed by using the example of Reinforced concrete.

Like how any good building's durability depends a lot on a good structural system, its skeleton, us humans also need to have a good, strong, healthy core without which we might hit the bottom. Which was very much the case with dong hoon. I feel like we keep reaching some philosophical high note while talking about dong hoon and his existential crisis lol. 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, rellea said:

I only included the meat of this post. It's a long one based on the background lines in the offices during the first and last episodes. I noticed that some subtitles for these scenes weren't accurate.

Not everyone might agree with this post, but I thought it was interesting enough to post anyway.

Here goes:

The first episode opens to a bustling office scene. A female employee has a phone tucked under her chin while she arranges some documents and gives her lines. "In this case, I don't think that the....(?) Yes, concrete will not be strong enough (the strength of concrete is not sufficient). I think we will have to look for a different method of reinforcement."

<We will have to look for a different method of reinforcement>

While this line is said, the scene changes to Jian watering the plants. Could her act of giving water to the plants have meaning as well?

Several more scenes showing Jian are shown while male employees speak jargon about concrete and strength and so on in the background. We then see Donghoon working hard at his desk accompanied by this line:

"Well what can we do... We have to reinforce it... It's a new building... We have to reinforce it."

The line <We have to reinforce it> is repeated several times while Donghoon and Jian are shown in one screen and then alternatively.

If we were to analyze this, Donhoon's and Jian's present situations are like buildings with concrete of insufficient strength and thus dangerous. Everything about their lives needs a method of reinforcement. And I believe that the scenes and lines imply that is each other. To give each other the strength for a new life.

And in the last episode, episode 16.

Donghoon has started a new company with his employees when a phone call comes. Donghoon walks over to pick up the phone and says something along the lines of the following: "Yes. Yes. I've checked it. Ah, but when considering emergency situations, in order to evacuate 4,000 people in 20 minutes, you will need one more stairway. Yes. If we go by the current design, there would not be enough time to evacuate in emergencies." And then we see LJA's brightened and sophisticated figure.

Donghoon certainly appears much brighter. However, the lines <need one more stairway>, <if we go by the current design there is not enough time to evacuate>. In the end, Donghoon, in his current, stably designed condition, still needs some kind of emergency exit to escape the tightness/harshness of life. That is LJA.

My conclusion from the above lines is "Donghoon's exit is Jian."

Could I have gone too far? They say that Won Suk PD never puts any fluff in his works (ie everything has meaning!). I'm certain that there is meaning even in the seemingly ordinary scenes and lines.

The poster updated with clarification since people were confused by the wording of "exit":

My thoughts are such: there is an already designed/constructed building, but it needs a stairway for emergency situations. Similarly, when the now comfortable and stable Donghoon comes across emergency situations in the future, he will need his own stairway. That is Jian.

So my conclusion is that in the long life ahead of him, the one passage that will let Donghoon breathe is Jian.

source: http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=53666&page=8

OK so first things first. I need that gif of Omoni and Dong Hoon clapping in the comments below! Like chigum, tanjang!

I thought the preface to his/her comments was really cute so I translated it too:

I stopped watching drama and variety shows for a long time, but My Ahjussi re-opened the Pandora's box.

The reverberations from the drama have left my body so weak that I visited DC Inside for the first time.

I keep thinking of Ji An when daily life gets hard, to the extent that I even regret watching the show!

Reading the essays here, I was shocked for the second time.

First, even though we all watched the same ending, everyone has such different interpretations!

Next, because all your high level, illuminating contents moved me and made me feel so fortunate!

This is the first time I've watched a drama from start to end twice. I'm thinking of buying the Blue Ray because it will gain a different flavour with age.

I was on the side of the "love line team" the first time I watched it, but the second time round I also felt the "no loveline team"'s side.

That's the beauty of this drama.

It's interesting to view it both from the side of the "love line team" and the "non love line team", so please don't fight.

But the one startling thing I found was the stance that "after they meet the two of them continue on their separate paths, with little more to do with each other" -- that is definitely wrong.

Even if they don't date or get married, the two of them will continue to meet and help each other -- it is that kind of relationship, I believe.

There have already been many essays written to prove this point, with many symbols and evidence listed, but I believe no one has pointed out what I discovered, so I have summoned up my courage to write this.

• Like 12

Spoiler
On 5/30/2018 at 4:51 PM, haengbokhaja said:

Okay! So I tried and tried and tried and TRIED!!! But I just couldn't stay away, just couldn't read and not comment...

This is the first time I am EVER commenting on a forum or a show.. seriously people, I am like the KING of silent reading.. I just observe from the sidlelines.

But since this drama has broken soo many cliches, have taken major steps to bring itself and others (us viewers) out of our comfort zone, then why not shatter one more norm and make ME step out of my "comfort observing zone" and actually participate for once?

So I would start of by saying that what initially attracted me to this drama was its discription, and its poster (the one in which IU is bruised), it just looked so different from all the other shows that I decided to give it a shot.

I started this show before the last two episodes came out and finished it about 5 or 4 days ago... I seriously cannot even remember the date when I finished it cause I am still in that phase... still reading forums, reviews, watching clips, and analyzing it in my mind. It feels like I still haven't finished that show, and I am pretty sure you all can relate.

I have NEVER in my life cried like that over a show! Yeah sometimes a tear or two would fall or I would even cry at a whole scene.. But a WHOLE episode? Never! But this time I even did that.. I think I started properly crying from ep 9, and have been crying up until the end of ep 16 (runny nose and all), and still cry if I watch a clip or something. I am surprised at how deeply this show has affected me.

So first of, shout out to the writer, director, actors, and the whole production team that helped make this drama into a masterpiece!

The cinemtography, the use of lighting, color, makeup, and the acting are done to perfection.

A drama is so much more then just acting, its cut scenes and cinematography play as much a role as the actors themselves and this drama displays it perfectly. Cause a setting, mood, environment of the scene is part of the act, it adds to the feel of the moment, and helps convey the emotions that the actors are feeling.

So thank you My Ahjusshi team for bringing this drama to us, I know it wasn't easy.

Now the thing that I observed (it is going to be long, but believe me, by the time you are done reading it, you won't regret it)

First of though shoutout to all the AMAZING people on this forum who have keenly analyzed this show, and kept providing us with all the hidddn hints that the director has put in for us. I appreciate it, and it made me appreciate the dram even more cause of you all.

So now the observation...

I read all your observations and they are marvelous, and since all of you have dig deep to analyze it, I decided to do the opposite. I decided to step back and take in the BIG picture.

This whole drama and all its characters symbolize something, one way or another, and that is the same for our two main leads, JA and DH.

DH symblozies a body/mind whose heart has died, and JA symbolizes that heart.

So let me make it more clear. As some of you pointed out that DH wanted to be selfish, he wanted to recieve in return and didn't want to only keep giving back, and didn't want to feel bad about it as well. All of these were his heart desires yet he suppressed them and his heart became devoid of life, similar to JA who is lifeless.

JA has same family values as DH, she belives in the same things, fight for the same things. She is straightforward though/she speaks her mind, and she is selfish just like how a heart is. Though she is lifeless. Just like DH's heart.

So when she wiretap's his phone and start listening in on him. She literally becomes a part of him. That scene symbolized that she just insterted herself in. The heart that was lost just found its way back, yet neither of them realize it yet. I think the way DH is very uncomfortable in the subway scene trying his hardest not to touch her as she implants the bug also indicates that something has just happened and that made him uncomfortable, albiet unconsciously.

Now what made this symbolism even more profound was the scene when DH goes to confront KI. Again as many of you pointed out, this is the first time he doesn't have a plan, yet his body/mind still compel him forward. This is also the first time that JA breaks down and cries, and later on DH says in JH's bar that it is first time in a long time that he actually felt alive. JA cried, someone fought for her, stood by her, she cried, freed herself in a way. Same way the first time she felt a little free, DH also felt as if he had come alive.

Another scene that added to this was when DH breaks down/confronts his wife. JA is at home, in a completely dark room (also remember that before when she used to listen to the recordings, there would be light in the room, bluish and very gloomy, though it was still light) this represents the darkness inside DH, and you would notice that the room is this dark usually only when DH is confronting a conflict, such as the talk with this brothers. Okay so moving on, the darkness in the room is the darkness in DH and JA is sitting inside that room with a little light illuminating her face (light symbolize slight opening/healing). JA representing the heart is crying and in agony with her Ahjusshi as he cries, and she feels the pain as if it were her's.

She is also in sync with his footsteps, breathing, which also leads to this indication.

Another profound scene was that when DH saw her from the window of the brothers cleaning truck. She looked at him with eyes that reflected the pain in his heart, other then his own heart she is the one other person that knows the true agony and pain that he feels. And he looks at her as if he almost came to that relaization as well.

Also DH, as he becomes more slefish start to adapt the quailities of JA. Confronting her and others, not backing down, telling her to buy him shoes, etc.

Also him saying that she is the reason he is breathing, leads to this indication.

Also the scene where she says that Ahjusshi I really want you to be happy and he says that he will be happy for her. Your heart is the only one that wants you to be happy, and selfish and not feel bad about it, and JA also practically begs him to be that way.

Also the line where he says that I know you and that's why what you do doesn't bother me. He looks so resigned in that moment as if he is done running and would just accept the truth, JA already knows it and accepted it, but he just now came to accept it. He is saying in that line that I know my heart, and I know you are my heart so since whatever my heart does wouldn't bother me, you cannot bother me either.

Also the scene where she starts running to the bus, DH looks at her and only then does he run. As if he was waiting on his heart. Also symbolizes that he is now following his heart.

Lets be happy. One cannot be happy without the other, just as the heart cannot be happy if its owner is not happy and vise versa.

Also in that last scene when he thanks her. He is practically saying thank you for being happy so I could be happy. If my heart wouldn't have been happy, how could I have stayed happy.

This show practically showed us that in healing other person, you heal yourself as well. Helping others you help yourself as well. Through JA we saw how Ahjusshi healed, and how in helping JA, he healed himslef.

That is also why I loved the ending so much. Because it stayed true to its characters. The kiss or anything romantic would've taken away from the pureness of their relationship.

JA and DH are not soulmates. They are actually a vital part of each other that was missing before. In DH, JA found her comfort/true home, and in/through JA, DH found freedom/happiness.

It was as if DH's heart took shape of a human and came into his life.
That is why I don't mind it not being romantic, because you connect with your heart emotionally not physically. It supports you, comforts you and is by your side. Though in the most purset way.

Yet, I would've liked to see how the director would've made them have a romantic relationship while still keeping the show from turning cliche or dissapointing. Or maybe he would've handled it just like he handled the whole show and would've made a romantic relationship so unique to its characters, and so very uncliche, that all the romantic relationships in K drama land would've paled in comparison. I would've liked to see it.. maybe an extra/special episode or something..

What do you guys think?

@haengbokhaja Beautiful analysis. I especially loved the parts bolded above. I think you pretty much defined what "soulmates" are to each other - two people who are such integral parts of each other that they remain incomplete without one another... And so, I think this part works better when we leave out one little word: :wink:

"JA and DH are not soulmates. They are actually a vital part of each other that was missing before. In DH, JA found her comfort/true home, and in/through JA, DH found freedom/happiness. It was as if DH's heart took shape of a human and came into his life."

I encountered this definition of soulmates many years ago when I read Wuthering Heights, and it has stayed with me ever since. I'd say this applies to DH and JA... (just rewatch ep 14, where DH can't breathe without JA by his side!):

“Be with me always - take any form - drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I can not live without my life! I can not live without my soul!

As for Kim Won Suk PD's handling of romance, subtlety is probably his signature style. I don't think he would've gone for a full-blown romance either way (excessive skinship, fan-service, all that fluff and stuff). Thinking back to the couple in Signal, Lee Jae Han and Cha Soo Hyun, we didn't get much beyond intense stares and an intense hug. But somehow, that was enough to make us squeeee. Interestingly, Soo Hyun confessed to her sunbae plenty of times... but I don't remember Lee Jae Han ever spelling out his feelings for Soo Hyun. Yet it was clear that their feelings were mutual. And it was clear in DH and JA's case too, I think.

Also, your analysis about DH missing something (his heart, i.e. JA) in his life is very much in tune with YH's assessment of him in ep 4:

KD0NeZj.jpg

Spoiler

4L8i8g6.jpg

I'm glad that in the end, YH found the middle ground between "This isn't where I should be" and her commitment to her family, by taking care of Ji Seok while also gracefully leaving DH to his "heart", JA.

Some other observations from ep 4:

• Ep 4 is the turning point where DH and JA start feeling for each other - this is marked by traffic lights changing from red to green. Even earlier in this ep, we see JA trying her best to find some dirt on DH to ruin him. But after this point, she starts sympathizing with him, realizing how much alike they are in their loneliness, mindset, and commitment to family. Yes, it started with pity, but their feelings for each other intensify more and more as the series goes on...
    4BkBn9E.jpg

• Another reason to think they are soulmates: instant connection. It doesn't take long for DH to realize that he understands her, and she understands him. Completely. Even though they start on the wrong footing, just with a glance, they always know what their other half is thinking / feeling / going through. I don't think wire-tapping for a day or two could give you that deep of an insight into someone's thoughts and feelings, unless there has been a soul-to-soul connection.
    Spoiler

trnu6p2.jpg

---

More to come on traffic signals~

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

I caved in and started reading DC Inside.

OMG where do I even start? Today alone there have been more than 100 posts, some with 1000s of views.

How does anybody find anything inside here?? There must be some hidden system hierarchy... I need an engineer to decipher this LOL

Soompi is relatively tame by comparison

I think I'm not going to sleep tonight. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • LOL 15

LOLL. So embarrassing~   :ph34r::lol::lol:

Is this what the other side looks like? Haha.

5 minutes ago, rellea said:

"Did you guys know that an American forum Soompi is translating My Ahjusshi Gallery posts? They say there are a lot of good posts here and sharing links."

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=54103&page=1

THE GAME IS UP. EVERYONE, SCATTER!!

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

25 minutes ago, justamom said:

OMG where do I even start? Today alone there have been more than 100 posts, some with 1000s of views.

How does anybody find anything inside here?? There must be some hidden system hierarchy... I need an engineer to decipher this LOL

No way!!  100 posts today alone?  Exactly two weeks after the last episode?  Whoever said the whole S. Korea is shook was right.  Someone ought to visit the Chinese discussion thread and find a meaningful posting or two and get @justamom even deeper into the MA rabbit hole.  LOL!  I totally envy your polyglot clout now.

8 minutes ago, rellea said:

"Did you guys know that an American forum Soompi is translating My Ahjusshi Gallery posts? They say there are a lot of good posts here and sharing links."

HAHAHAHAHA.....  ROTFLOL!!!

• Like 3
  • LOL 6

10 minutes ago, rellea said:

I literally fell off my bed!!!! They asked for the link to this place!!!

@rellea I think it's time to start doing reverse translations

:lol::lol::lol:

• LOL 12

28 minutes ago, justamom said:

Remember your name @justamom  ….please cook for your kids!  hahahah

• LOL 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, justamom said:

I literally fell off my bed!!!! They asked for the link to this place!!!

@rellea I think it's time to start doing reverse translations

:lol::lol::lol:

Uh, uh .... I'll bet they haven't figured out the red, yellow, green lights.  Or @haengbokhaja's analysis of Jian being Dong Hoon's heart.  Oh I know, they should read @noor1's very excellent reply to the lengthy article in English and ask them to translate that into Korean and send it to the writer of the article.

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

I feel like ET... I just went over and said Hi from Soompi! 

"I'm sure they're translating us wrongly"

"Is Do Joon Yeon a legend there as well"

"I want to know what they think of "I like Lee Ji An"

Seriously ROTFL!!!!

And the response to ET was... are you....Korean?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • LOL 11

21 minutes ago, justamom said:

Seriously ROTFL!!!!

나누 나누   Nanu Nanu from Mork and Mindy! Hahaha!

@nearsea said: LOLL. So embarrassing~   Is this what the other side looks like? Haha.

Across an ocean or a continent,  people are riled up by a wonderful show!  that shows you....people are pretty much the same!... they can recognize  and empathize with what is good!  Although.... @justamom  probably has antennas that we don't know about! hahaha!!!

• LOL 8

15 minutes ago, justamom said:

Seriously ROTFL!!!!

I must be slow. Is your identity there ET? They think DJY is a legend? How? 

• LOL 5

5 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

I must be slow. Is your identity there ET? They think DJY is a legend? How? 

No, I meant I feel like ET from another planet. We know of Earth's existence but Earth doesn't know about us. So ET went over to say hi.

• LOL 10

8 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

I don't know if anyone in this forum pointed this out already.. Someone from DCInside caught this moment when DH shed a tear for JA before he arrived at GI's office.. (I didn't even notice, cause the scene is pretty dark) This actually made the fighting scene all the more impactful.. 

source

My Ahjussi's Instrumental Compilation

Wow. I didn’t notice that he cried in outrage. Must really re-watch this in HD. :o

• Like 8

I feel like I'm in a vortex. Bouncing between earth and Soompi planet. @rellea you have been discovered!! 

잠깐 몇개 봤는데 ending gif모음 가져다 영어로 번역해 놓고 했던데... 일부는 한국인 일부는 asian들이 많은 듯 여기 이글 언급하며 들켰다 튀자라고 썼던데? (THE GAME IS UP. EVERYONE, SCATTER!!).. 나갤 링크는 다는 것 같기도 하고.. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 9

9 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

I don't know if anyone in this forum pointed this out already.. Someone from DCInside caught this moment when DH shed a tear for JA before he arrived at GI's office.. (I didn't even notice, cause the scene is pretty dark) This actually made the fighting scene all the more impactful.. 

1527678780.gif

source

My Ahjussi's Instrumental Compilation

To add to this , in ep 14 when dh confronted the ceo and ceo was spewing hate towards jian, dh could not hold his tears.. ( I don’t know how to post image on this forum yet ) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

For real ?? is this how epic the effect of MA now...hahhhaha

literally "out-of-this-world"  hhaha  Extra Terrestrial levels now??? :lol:

What has this drama done to us ?

Our discussion if they want to translate in various languages ?

let google translate troll them hhhaha

• LOL 9

Never have I seen this much dedication in a kdrama forum to analyze a hand shake, main lead's stare and body language, breathing sounds, persimmon, slippers, lady bug, traffic lights, beers, indoor plants, even concrete!!! :D:D:D What's next to dissect... 

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • LOL 11

29 minutes ago, justamom said:

I feel like I'm in a vortex. Bouncing between earth and Soompi planet. @rellea you have been discovered!! 

잠깐 몇개 봤는데 ending gif모음 가져다 영어로 번역해 놓고 했던데... 일부는 한국인 일부는 asian들이 많은 듯 여기 이글 언급하며 들켰다 튀자라고 썼던데? (THE GAME IS UP. EVERYONE, SCATTER!!).. 나갤 링크는 다는 것 같기도 하고.. 

LMAOO Time to change my name, face, and drop off the planet. This is hilarious.

I don't have time the translate these right now, but these are some of the post I was thinking about translating if anyone else has the time. If not, I'll try to get to them once I'm free.

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=53468&page=5

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=54017&page=1

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=53799&page=1&search_pos=&s_type=search_all&s_keyword=5화에서

• LOL 5
  • Thanks 1