[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Still no pictures with IU, but here are a few of Lee Sun Kyun and some cast/crew members:

Shooting sites have become some kind of attraction?

Off Topic: Too bad we did not get to see something sweet like this from LSK's character:

Spoiler

• Like 8

5 hours ago, anipanch said:

1. The article author looks down on DH and JA's relationship and their feelings for each other. To perceive their relationship as an attempt of the drama writer to encourage old men in pursuing young girls is just a shallow way of thinking. DH has never shown interest toward JA in a dishonest way. In fact, he is drawn to JA in a very subconscious way. She is in no way first pitiful or young girl that has crossed paths with DH. What we have here is a classic example of soulmates. Platonic or romantic, DH and JA are soulmates, attracted and drawn together without no conscious reason. I fail to understand how the blog writer can see DH's comment about JA not wearing socks as something sexual. All I see is an innocent surprise at how someone could walk around dressed so coldly in the middle of the winter. It was never DH's intention to fall for JA, it just happened. He is instinctively interested in her, like how he chose JA's CV just by the word running. There are no physical and earthly desires. DH and JA's souls are drawn to each other. 

Annyeong~! Love your post, as always. And I love y'all shippers X 1000000. #shippersunite  

Here's the reference to the "sexy" comment. The article writer wasn't being fair to DH, because it wasn't DH who thought it to be sexy. He was actually concerned about the being cold part.

ZqxIEVz.jpg

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, h2ogirl said:

Annyeong~! Love your post, as always. And I love y'all shippers X 1000000. #shippersunite  

Here's the reference to the "sexy" comment. The article writer wasn't being fair to DH, because it wasn't DH who thought it to sexy. He was actually concerned about the being cold part.

You're right, it was completely misrepresented.  But that is the problem with so many people who found it hard to reconcile issues like this one.  They thought the drama is "glorifying" something when it's exactly the opposite.  The show is subverting tropes and misplaced expectations left and right.  You know those early preconceptions: old man's fantasy, dating violence, idea that DH is a perfect man, etc.  But it is too bad some people are still very conflicted.

A question, was this drama streamed legally in China?  If not, how did the Chinese watch it at the same time?

• Like 6

1 hour ago, justamom said:

I checked with my Korean tutor and "grown man and young woman" is probably a better translation. The word in Hanja is 即成年 for those of you who read Chinese.

I think her point was more there are many things to find pitiful/sympathise with in this show, but Dong Hoon's reactions towards Ji An go way beyond pity (like we all have been saying for pages and pages)

Thanks for the clarification.  Stuff gets lost in translation, yes (though I, in no way, am saying I don't wholeheartedly appreciate and venerate the translator).  For the first comment, I guess my feelings against others' hang-up about the age disparity can't help but resurface every time I see this point brought up.

Re: the second, I understand a bit better her point.  It just seemed almost funny to see it worded as it is:  too much empathy and excessive behavior.  Would he have acted the way he did if it were someone else with the exact same crud going on in her life?  Someone less pretty, perhaps?  Maybe, maybe not.  Probably not?  The bond between DH and JA is undeniable, and as much I'd like to believe that he wouldn't have done the same for anyone else, I can't.  Though flawed, he's more than a decent man, and because of what was going on with her, he couldn't stand idly by.  I know it seems I'm simplifying their relationship and that it was much more than that.  

Hmm, I think I'm digressing.  Am I?  I'm thinking too deeply.  No, not deep enough.  lol!  See what this drama has done to us?

• Like 9
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, kappy said:

Re: the second, I understand a bit better her point.  It just seemed almost funny to see it worded as it is:  too much empathy and excessive behavior.  Would he have acted the way he did if it were someone else with the exact same crud going on in her life?  Someone less pretty, perhaps?  Maybe, maybe not.  Probably not?  The bond between DH and JA is undeniable, and as much I'd like to believe that he wouldn't have done the same for anyone else, I can't.  Though flawed, he's more than a decent man, and because of what was going on with her, he couldn't stand idly by.  I know it seems I'm simplifying their relationship and that it was much more than that

I for one feel like he wouldn't lol. I don't know if you believe in soulmates, telepathy and stuff but there are reasons we get attracted to some people, and then to some we don't. IMO dong hoon felt something when he first saw her, either be it her resume or the first time he saw her on the train while going back home. So it's an otherworldly, predestined connection. Something that was just meant to be. Probably universe was planning to bring them together lol. Either he would have chosen her or the other way around. 

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

You're right, it was completely misrepresented.  But that is the problem with so many people who found it hard to reconcile issues like this one.  They thought the drama is "glorifying" something when it's exactly the opposite.  The show is subverting tropes and misplaced expectations left and right.  You know those early preconceptions: old man's fantasy, dating violence, idea that DH is a perfect man, etc.  But it is too bad some people are still very conflicted.

Sadly these preconceptions are so severe that I think some people never even looked past half of the first episode and made comments like how IU is a beyond average actress, how an idol like her shouldn't be getting these roles and etc. I saw some comments like these on koala's website and the mind boggles. I wonder whether these people are simply hating on the actors or if they're just jealous that their favorites aren't getting these meaty roles. But anyway, I feel like most of the people who are so extreme with their reviews have their very biased observations about how marriages should work. Some on DB were even trying to stress that DH should work on their marriage even if Yoon Hee cheated and how DH is responsible for Yoon Hee cheating, his neglect and all. 

Similarly, this article's writer like some have said above is projecting her own vision of how marriages should be and relationships should be in this write-up and sadly generalizing about every 40 year old men. As if older men shouldn't have any shot at love, even if they are divorced or single lol. Not every 40 yr old man is perverted or has twisted mentality of having a young wife, [perversion doesn't start at a certain age I suppose lol]. so this common prejudice [which came almost on every site after the drama was announced] is quite tiresome. They are regarding these type of relationships already in a negative light, which makes me think that these people have been nurturing some really twisted mentality in their head. Not every age gap relationships have to be like that of Lolita, so it's sad that we tend to imagine the worse picture instead of thinking something beautiful, pure, positive. Anyway sorry for the long rant again haha.

@justamom I would love it if there was some my ahjussi fan page. I would be more comfortable with moving to someplace new since the drama is already over lol. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit your previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 10

43 minutes ago, nearsea said:

Sadly these preconceptions are so severe that I think some people never even looked past half of the first episode and made comments like how IU is a beyond average actress, how an idol like her shouldn't be getting these roles and etc. I saw some comments like these on koala's website and the mind boggles. I wonder whether these people are simply hating on the actors or if they're just jealous that their favorites aren't getting these meaty roles. But anyway, I feel like most of the people who are so extreme with their reviews have their very biased observations about how marriages should work. Some on DB were even trying to stress that DH should work on their marriage even if Yoon Hee cheated and how DH is responsible for Yoon Hee cheating, his neglect and all. 

Similarly, this article's writer like some have said above is projecting her own vision of how marriages should be and relationships should be in this write-up and sadly generalizing about every 40 year old men. As if older men shouldn't have any shot at love, even if they are divorced or single lol. Not every 40 yr old man is perverted or has twisted mentality of having a young wife, [perversion doesn't start at a certain age I suppose lol]. so this common prejudice [which came almost on every site after the drama was announced] is quite tiresome. They are regarding these type of relationships already in a negative light, which makes me think that these people have been nurturing some really twisted mentality in their head. Not every age gap relationships have to be like that of Lolita, so it's sad that we tend to imagine the worse picture instead of thinking something beautiful, pure, positive. Anyway sorry for the long rant again haha.

@justamom I would love it if there was some my ahjussi fan page. I would be more comfortable with moving to someplace new since the drama is already over lol. 

After the initial doubt expressed everywhere this drama was first announced, it pleases me to no end that My Ajusshi ended up topping charts everywhere.  What a way to turn everything upside down.  Not only did the story go in direction nobody predicted, this surprising turn of events is itself a sweet revenge for its actors too: for IU to shut down criticism due to her idol image and "Lolita scandal", and for LSK who was the target of very nasty comments just because he was" old and ugly."  

But please don't move to a different place.  I like this catch-all space for all things My Ajusshi.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, arctichare said:

Doesn't this song remind you of Ji An? I believe IU composed it herself and wrote the lyrics.

The harmonization at 1.45 is so beautiful.

I always imagined little IU when I listened to this song, but now that you mention it, it really is a good fit for JA.

I think Bad Day is the saddest song IU ever made. She said wrote it when she was in middle school, too. On a day when she particularly hated herself... She's said in an interview that no matter how harshly someone criticizes her, she will always criticize herself more harshly. And that she could never enjoy her successes because she was always thinking that she would fail and disappoint everyone next time. For all her fame and accomplishments, IU has an incredibly low self-esteem. She says she prefers to think of it as a good thing because it keeps her from getting full of herself, but I can't imagine that it's done her mental and emotional health any good. :(

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

Here's the reference to the "sexy" comment. The article writer wasn't being fair to DH, because it wasn't DH who thought it to be sexy. He was actually concerned about the being cold part.

Yup. It was his male co-worker who jokingly said that about himself wearing short socks. DH also never said JA was “pretty” to her directly. She overhears it through the wiretap. He never says anything sexual or demeaning to her.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

IMG_20180530_071438.jpg

Meaningful expression...Lee jieun seems have so many depth soft gaze after MA..i wish she mastering her facial gesture/ muscle deeper those could improved and freed her to deliver/picturesque every character she would take and give a  nuance in all her stage consert at another level.

IMG_20180517_222145.jpg

IMG_20180517_212447.jpg

The tears..

Depth expresssion could safe our energie to finding what a reason behind the action.

• Like 9

I'm glad this thread is still moving,  keep it coming everyone, I love reading all your post, I'm in awe with all your analysis, thoughts etc. Keep me thinking you are all awesome posting lengthly your thoughts omg! And please don't move anywhere huhu, this thread will be lonely if you all moved somewhere else :(

Anyway LSK is so quiet, no interviews yet, and no pictures together with IU why oh why? And I noticed in wrap up party they were sitting very far from each other lol!

IU is busy going back to her roots as a Singer, no MA related post in her IG either which I find strange hahaha 

No interviews with Ho San and Sae Byuk, and Nara yet. And the other guy in Dh team.

Wonder when are they going to China hope everyone can make it. 

• Like 11

7 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Off Topic: Too bad we did not get to see something sweet like this from LSK's character:

---eeeee ehhhhh yahhhh--- (the sound of my heart breaking when I first saw these photos years ago)

@nearsea and @sadiesmith the SLA forum got to 600+ pages and things were getting lost and they were doing things like script translations so they needed a more organised place. Just an idea. 

17 minutes ago, reign143 said:

IU is busy going back to her roots as a Singer, no MA related post in her IG either which I find strange hahaha 

I think they are trying to get out of character and back to their real lives. Makes sense. That was some deep, heavy stuff.

I remember how Kim Hee Ae said after Secret Love Affair she was so sad and couldn't get out of her character, but then she went  to climb Mount Halla in Jeju and right after that she felt back to her normal self.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, arctichare said:

Doesn't this song remind you of Ji An? I believe IU composed it herself and wrote the lyrics.

The harmonization at 1.45 is so beautiful.

Oh my, that's a shockingly good song! Those lyrics!

I feel the warmth of someone's body on the park bench....but why does it make me feel even colder?

What a line!!! 

That's like some mad poetic skill there.

It's like one of my favourite scenes in the show, Jeong Hee saying how she woke up in the morning and the sound of people's footsteps was the loneliest things in the world

@rellea while I was watching Ji An (not knowing she was IU) I kept thinking, this actress has soul. She's got soul.

• Like 9

Got to page 227! Almost caught up.

So, wanted to thank @tiger457_stv for padding my suggestion for the ending about IU's photos substituting for Jian and making it funnier and better! Also, I knew you would comment on my 94....% of engineer comment. You fell for my trap!

@sadiesmith I liked the clip of the cast and crew watching the last episode. Too bad there is no clip of them watching the entire episode! I would love to see their reactions. I would watch the entire 1-1/2 hours! Also, I like the photos showing the red, yellow and green lights.

Did you notice that in the final photo with the green light that Jian is completely hidden behind DH? She has been totally absorbed by DH. She now lives within him! Haha.

@kdramafanlsk mentioned that various things can set off memories of MA. For me that happened while watching Tempted/The Great Seducer. There are 2 scenes that brought MA to mind. Actually the actress Joy (I believe is her name) is a singer in a girl group and her acting in crying scenes is good but can't be compared to LJE in MA. But in this show her father says two things that rang true for DH and JA.

1. 'Should continue to meet if you like each other. Do you know how much of a miracle it is for two people to love each other at the same time? Although it doesn't last forever the time and emotions are too beautiful and precious. I believe in my love. Don't underestimate a one-sided love'

2. It's because you can't hide the fact that you love someone. Your feelings are like muscles. When your liking for someone becomes stronger it's hard for it to move in another direction. It's like your body remembers how you felt when  you like someone so it keeps moving towards that direction. I''m just going to leave it until it slowly disappears on its own. If that doesn't disappear then there's nothing I can do.'

• Like 5

21 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@ninaanin and @justamom, I am a Christian and saw no rudeness in your comments. The pastor has replied back and posted a question to you, @justamom. After you read it I dare you to show him the link to your fabulous fanfic. :lol:

@sadiesmith I’m a Christian too so I understand where he’s coming from.  I have my own thoughts about the pastor’s post and will share it with our chinggus once I get my ideas together.  :)

Speaking of fanfics, I just want to give a shoutout to @justamom.  Your fic is just so beautiful and so in tune with the characterization of Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An and overall mood of MA.  Your handle on Dong Hoon in particular is brilliant and you’ve captured his personality perfectly.  I always look forward to your updates. :)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Yay, more interviews, this time with O Nara, AKA the lovely Jung Hee:

http://news.joins.com/article/22668492?cloc=joongang|article|tagnews

http://news.joins.com/article/22668493?cloc=joongang|article|tagnews

http://news.joins.com/article/22668494

Could someone please translate the parts related to My Ajusshi?  Thank  you in advance!

• Like 7

12 hours ago, justamom said:

On 5/28/2018 at 10:05 PM, maddymappo said:

She was protected by them The alpha dog (DH) had introduced her to the pack and so she was accepted, even grandma's funeral.

No to me the alpha dogs are Jae Chul and Sang Hoon! Dong Hoon is definitely a beta....

Except that DH was supporting his family, the others may noise, but DH had the depths and gravitas that they followed.

• Like 7