[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Wonder what you guys think about this.

I've been thinking about how Ji An and Dong Hoon's friendship would have developed if Ji An hadn't wiretapped Dong Hoon. What events still would have happened, and what wouldn't have? For example...

Things that wouldn’t have happened without the wiretapping:

Ep 4 - Ji An hearing Dong Hoon say to the condo villa owner, "If you do this in front of my family i could kill you." And JA hearing him tell Ki Hoon at Jung Hee’s bar that someone knows him well.
Ep 5 - (Ji An) Running to DH when he’s lying on the train tracks.
Ep 6 - Running to DH when he’s on the river bridge contemplating suicide.
Ep 7 - Hearing DH ask his restaurant owner hyung if that "pretty girl" came in today. Running to meet him and having their smile over beers.
Ep 8 - Walking home together after their impromptu drink in Ep 7 and JA saying, “Fighting,” to encourage DH. The show reveals that in her mind is the confrontation between DH and Do Joon Young on the rooftop at Saman (which she overheard).
Ep 8 - Hearing Kwang Il run into DH, and the next day confronting Kwang Il to get the wallet back.
Ep 9 - Overhearing the fight between DH and Kwang Il.
Ep 10 - Paying back the full amount of her debt to Kwang Il. (Choon Dae called JA to tell her DH was headed to find Kwang Il, but I doubt JA would have paid back the full debt if she didn't overhear the extent to which DH went to bat for her and got hurt.)
Ep 12 - Hearing DH's anguish after Yoon Hee confesses her affair. This leads Ji An to tell him he’s a good person at the end of the episode to comfort him.
Ep 13 - Texting “It’s no big deal,” to DH before DH's interview for the Managing Director position.
Ep 14 - Overhearing him make phone calls in search of her; knowing Dong Hoon was looking for her all day.
Ep 15 - Hearing Dong Hoon say, "Lee Ji An, call me," through the phone. Also hearing him call a taxi to go the phone booth…..which causes Ji An to run away even more.

Things that still would have happened:

Early episodes - Riding the subway together. DH thanking JA for throwing away the bribe.
Ep 5 - Dong Hoon following after Ji An to give her her persimmons, and later that evening carrying halmeoni back up the stairs and telling Ji An she's a nice person.
Ep 5 - Ji An slapping Assistant Manager Kim at the restaurant. I think she still would have done this, as she would've seen that DH was kind by the way he cared for halmeoni in Ep 5.
Ep 6 - Riding the subway together. DH and JA going out for drinks after he rebuked her and thanked her for slapping Asst Manager Kim. This was the encounter where he told her that whatever he heard about her he would feign ignorance.

Ep 7 - Riding the subway together. Going out for dinner together so DH could thank JA. DH opened up and said it was DJY who sent him the bribe, and he thanked JA.

Ep 9 - DH receiving the phone call from the loan shark telling him that JA had tried to pay off her loan using DH's bribe.
Ep 9 - JA knowing DH visited Choon Dae's shack and was on his way to Kwang Il. (Choon Dae called to tell her.)
Ep 10 - JA giving DH slippers to thank him because halmeoni was able to get in to a nursing home. JA and DH together bringing halmeoni to the nursing home.

Ep 10 - JA hearing Chief Song say Asst Manager Kim liked someone and hearing DH say he needed to get hit in the head. Later she ran after DH to get hit in the head.
Ep 11 - JA being embarrassed after getting hit and throwing away the slippers. DH running after her and demanding new slippers.
Ep 12 - JA staying overtime to work. As DH had just told her to be nicer to people, and as she would have known Team Three was in meetings to try to meet a deadline, I think she would've stayed even if she hadn't seen the texts from Director Jung to DH about meeting in the hotel that evening. 

Ep 12 - Walking JA home with the Hugye ahjussis and Jung Hee.

Ep 12 - JA being called to testify at DH's promotion hearing and DH and JA going out for dinner afterward.
Ep 13 - JA running away because of Ki Bum getting caught, and going into hiding for what she did to Park Dong Un. Granted, Ki Bum and JA used the wiretapping information to put PDU in a bad place. But even without the wiretapping, they may have committed some crime against PDU, causing KB to be caught and JA to run away.
Ep 14 - DH looking for JA. JA calling DH from the phone booth and DH telling her to call him when halmeoni passed away. (This latter one is possible in my book, but not a slam-dunk because I'm not sure she would've called him if she hadn't overheard how extensively he was searching for her).

Ep 16 - Halmeoni passing away and DH and his brothers assisting with the funeral. With Ji An back in his orbit, they would've gone out to dinner the final time before she left for Busan.

For me, I like seeing that even without the wiretapping, Dong Hoon and Ji An's friendship would have developed anyway. They would have coincided on the subway and Dong Hoon still would have met halmeoni and seen Ji An's living situation. He would have seen how earnestly she was trying to care for her family. Ji An, through getting to know Dong Hoon at work and going out with him a couple of times, would have found an empathic person. Their friendship would have grown at a slower, more natural pace, but it still would have moved forward.

Whereas the wiretapping allowed Ji An to get to know Dong Hoon intimately and encourage him in very specific ways, it was still an invasion of his privacy and a couple of their interactions were manufactured (instead of developing organically and naturally) because she was listening in. It was as if the wiretapping set their relationship on turbo-speed. Which makes me appreciate the ending even more, as there was no manufacturing necessary - they met up at the coffee shop fair and square and were free to move forward as they wished.

The roles were also reversed at the end - Dong Hoon had been keeping tabs on Ji An through the Chairman.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

On 11/18/2021 at 10:46 PM, the_sweetroad said:

Wonder what you guys think about this.

I've been thinking about how Ji An and Dong Hoon's friendship would have developed if Ji An hadn't wiretapped Dong Hoon. What events still would have happened, and what wouldn't have? For example...

Things that wouldn’t have happened without the wiretapping:

Ep 4 - Ji An hearing Dong Hoon say to the condo villa owner, "If you do this in front of my family i could kill you." And JA hearing him tell Ki Hoon at Jung Hee’s bar that someone knows him well.
Ep 5 - (Ji An) Running to DH when he’s lying on the train tracks.
Ep 6 - Running to DH when he’s on the river bridge contemplating suicide.
Ep 7 - Hearing DH ask his restaurant owner hyung if that "pretty girl" came in today. Running to meet him and having their smile over beers.
Ep 8 - Walking home together after their impromptu drink in Ep 7 and JA saying, “Fighting,” to encourage DH. The show reveals that in her mind is the confrontation between DH and Do Joon Young on the rooftop at Saman (which she overheard).
Ep 8 - Hearing Kwang Il run into DH, and the next day confronting Kwang Il to get the wallet back.
Ep 9 - Overhearing the fight between DH and Kwang Il.
Ep 10 - Paying back the full amount of her debt to Kwang Il. (Choon Dae called JA to tell her DH was headed to find Kwang Il, but I doubt JA would have paid back the full debt if she didn't overhear the extent to which DH went to bat for her and got hurt.)
Ep 12 - Hearing DH's anguish after Yoon Hee confesses her affair. This leads Ji An to tell him he’s a good person at the end of the episode to comfort him.
Ep 13 - Texting “It’s no big deal,” to DH before DH's interview for the Managing Director position.
Ep 14 - Overhearing him make phone calls in search of her; knowing Dong Hoon was looking for her all day.
Ep 15 - Hearing Dong Hoon say, "Lee Ji An, call me," through the phone. Also hearing him call a taxi to go the phone booth…..which causes Ji An to run away even more.

Things that still would have happened:

Early episodes - Riding the subway together. DH thanking JA for throwing away the bribe.
Ep 5 - Dong Hoon following after Ji An to give her her persimmons, and later that evening carrying halmeoni back up the stairs and telling Ji An she's a nice person.
Ep 5 - Ji An slapping Assistant Manager Kim at the restaurant. I think she still would have done this, as she would've seen that DH was kind by the way he cared for halmeoni in Ep 5.
Ep 6 - Riding the subway together. DH and JA going out for drinks after he rebuked her and thanked her for slapping Asst Manager Kim. This was the encounter where he told her that whatever he heard about her he would feign ignorance.

Ep 7 - Riding the subway together. Going out for dinner together so DH could thank JA. DH opened up and said it was DJY who sent him the bribe, and he thanked JA.

Ep 9 - DH receiving the phone call from the loan shark telling him that JA had tried to pay off her loan using DH's bribe.
Ep 9 - JA knowing DH visited Choon Dae's shack and was on his way to Kwang Il. (Choon Dae called to tell her.)
Ep 10 - JA giving DH slippers to thank him because halmeoni was able to get in to a nursing home. JA and DH together bringing halmeoni to the nursing home.

Ep 10 - JA hearing Chief Song say Asst Manager Kim liked someone and hearing DH say he needed to get hit in the head. Later she ran after DH to get hit in the head.
Ep 11 - JA being embarrassed after getting hit and throwing away the slippers. DH running after her and demanding new slippers.
Ep 12 - JA staying overtime to work. As DH had just told her to be nicer to people, and as she would have known Team Three was in meetings to try to meet a deadline, I think she would've stayed even if she hadn't seen the texts from Director Jung to DH about meeting in the hotel that evening. 

Ep 12 - Walking JA home with the Hugye ahjussis and Jung Hee.

Ep 12 - JA being called to testify at DH's promotion hearing and DH and JA going out for dinner afterward.
Ep 13 - JA running away because of Ki Bum getting caught, and going into hiding for what she did to Park Dong Un. Granted, Ki Bum and JA used the wiretapping information to put PDU in a bad place. But even without the wiretapping, they may have committed some crime against PDU, causing KB to be caught and JA to run away.
Ep 14 - DH looking for JA. JA calling DH from the phone booth and DH telling her to call him when halmeoni passed away. (This latter one is possible in my book, but not a slam-dunk because I'm not sure she would've called him if she hadn't overheard how extensively he was searching for her).

Ep 16 - Halmeoni passing away and DH and his brothers assisting with the funeral. With Ji An back in his orbit, they would've gone out to dinner the final time before she left for Busan.

For me, I like seeing that even without the wiretapping, Dong Hoon and Ji An's friendship would have developed anyway. They would have coincided on the subway and Dong Hoon still would have met halmeoni and seen Ji An's living situation. He would have seen how earnestly she was trying to care for her family. Ji An, through getting to know Dong Hoon at work and going out with him a couple of times, would have found an empathic person. Their friendship would have grown at a slower, more natural pace, but it still would have moved forward.

Whereas the wiretapping allowed Ji An to get to know Dong Hoon intimately and encourage him in very specific ways, it was still an invasion of his privacy and a couple of their interactions were manufactured (instead of developing organically and naturally) because she was listening in. It was as if the wiretapping set their relationship on turbo-speed. Which makes me appreciate the ending even more, as there was no manufacturing necessary - they met up at the coffee shop fair and square and were free to move forward as they wished.

The roles were also reversed at the end - Dong Hoon had been keeping tabs on Ji An through the Chairman.

Woah! That’s a very detailed list! I agree that the friendship would definitely have developed regardless. But you’re right, it would have taken longer without the wiretap. And within the show’s premise, I’m not sure if Ji An’s assignment in Saman as a temp is limited to 3 months? That was somehow referred to in a couple of conversations.

Of all the things Ji an heard thru the wiretap, I think one of the most important is hearing Dong Hoon being told by Gwang Il that she murdered a person in the past, yet Dong Hoon accepted It without judgment and took her side. That was a turning point in their relationship, a point of no return for Ji An as far as her loyalty to Dong Hoon is concerned. I believe that led to her love confession in ep 10 and also in ep 12 in the train. Knowing that Dong Hoon already knows everything about her past, there’s nothing more to hide for Ji An, and that includes revealing what she really feels.

But again, those events would have happened sooner or later even without the wiretap. That’s how soulmates are – the universe will find a way to get them together.

Edited by actionscript
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

6 hours ago, actionscript said:

Woah! That’s a very detailed list!

:lol: Sometimes I can't help it.

6 hours ago, actionscript said:

Of all the things Ji an heard thru the wiretap, I think one of the most important is hearing Dong Hoon being told by Gwang Il that she murdered a person in the past, yet Dong Hoon accepted It without judgment and took her side. That was a turning point in their relationship, a point of no return for Ji An as far as her loyalty to Dong Hoon is concerned. I believe that led to her love confession in ep 10 and also in ep 12 in the train. Knowing that Dong Hoon already knows everything about her past, there’s nothing more to hide for Ji An, and that includes revealing what she really feels.

Wow - yes! That's a great insight! I hadn't thought of that particular moment specifically but you're absolutely right. DH would have still gone to fight Gwang Il and heard that she had killed someone, but without the wiretap JA wouldn't have known how fully DH empathized with her and the action she was most ashamed of. And linking that moment to her love confessions...wonderful observation.

• Like 2

LSK on receiving the offer to star in Kingmaker while filming My Mister (he called it fate):

"I was filming 'My Mister' when I got the offer. At that time, there was a scene where I was watching a movie, and it was 'Peppermint candy'. I thought it was fate. It was with that in mind that I decided to appear."

https://www.mk.co.kr/star/movies/view/2021/11/1088158/

• Like 3

I’m still back reading the whole thread and is now on page 200+. Indeed, this thread is a gem! Will reserve more of my thoughts once I’ve caught up with everything.

For now I’ll share some funny thoughts that came up after countless re-watches of MM. The following is just for fun and is no way an indication of my interpretation of the movie.

Anyone familiar with the Swedish novel Let the Right One In? It was made into a Swedish film and also into an American remake in 2010 (Let Me In) that starred a young Chloe Grace Moretz. (I’ve read the novel and watched both films.)

MM gave me some Let The Right One In vibes on two facets:

1.       Ji An is a 30,000 year-old immortal, just like the novel’s vampire protagonist. The scene in MM when Dong Hoon visited the janitor to inquire about Ji An’s past, it came to me as a passing-the-baton moment from an old guardian to a new guardian; the same way that Eli, the vampire protagonist, looked to befriend a young boy to replace the old guardian she had.

2.       Eli, though presented as female, is actually a young boy who was castrated centuries ago. Trapped in a pre-pubescent body, she was presented as feminine (voice, dress, etc.) in both the novel and the movies. That made her relationship to her old guardian and the new boy a bit vague, though it was presumed to be a romantic, heterosexual relationship. Or is it? Or did their bond grow out of extreme loneliness and hopelessness on the part of the boy which led him to run away with Eli despite knowing full well what his role will be. (ie, to kill people and take home their blood to feed Eli.) Deep bond but a bit undefined relationship. MM feels anyone? :lol:

For the record, I definitely don't see DH and JA's bond as "undefined." That's for the non-shippers I suppose. 

• Like 3

On 11/26/2021 at 6:39 AM, the_sweetroad said:

@actionscript Never heard of the novel or the films! Your connections above were quite funny (and fun) to read. Almost sounds like you're writing some fantasy fanfic for MM :lol:.

Are you watching Dr Brain at all? Since you don't mind horror and all. :D

I haven’t watched Dr. Brain yet. Any good? I had the impression it’s more sci fi than horror..

On horror films, I’m ok with creatures (ie, vampires, monsters, etc.) but I tend to shy away from those with supernatural elements (ghosts, evil spirits, etc.) Like in-between my re-watches of MM, I snuck in watching Hotel Del Luna (just wanted to watch more of IU), and I was spooked by the ghostly characters in the first few episodes! LOL!

Actually my post above on Let Me In got me thinking deeper about its parallel elements with MM. Both garnered a cult following, and that was the reason I tried them both and was sucked into the rabbit hole.

Both featured a unique relationship between the two leads – drawn into a deep, emotional bond and a lifelong loyalty to each other before anything became romantic. In fact, the romantic parts were just implied and was never explored within the timeline of the story.

I guess the ambiguity was one of the factors that drove people’s curiosity further to dig deeper, peering through every detail the novel/films had to offer, and for people to seek each other’s views and interpretation of events.

Like in the case of My Mister, had the ending been black & white, like they kissed and hugged and confessed their love to each other, it would have pushed rabid fans to move on faster and consequently, perhaps diminish its cult status?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, actionscript said:

I haven’t watched Dr. Brain yet. Any good? I had the impression it’s more sci fi than horror..

It is a wild ride and excellently-produced, with a central mystery that Lee Sun Kyun needs to solve. I love it so far, even though I'm not usually a fan of the suspense/sci fi genre at all. There are some horror elements in it, but they're not too bad...they're more dreamlike but not supernatural. LSK has to carry the show and he's doing a good job through 4 episodes. There are only 2 more episodes to go, and things are getting very interesting.

If you do watch it (I'd recommend it if you're a fan of LSK in general), join us at the Dr Brain thread! :) 

8 hours ago, actionscript said:

I guess the ambiguity was one of the factors that drove people’s curiosity further to dig deeper, peering through every detail the novel/films had to offer, and for people to seek each other’s views and interpretation of events.

Like in the case of My Mister, had the ending been black & white, like they kissed and hugged and confessed their love to each other, it would have pushed rabid fans to move on faster and consequently, perhaps diminish its cult status?

I think others who are still checking in can speak more into this, since they watched the show live...but from what I've observed you might be right. For me, the ending appeared to be one thing, but then when I started reading more analyses I realized I had missed so much of the symbolism/ motifs/ language that showed that DH had most probably split from YH and he really did love JA. And then I just had to feed that conclusion as much as possible!

Like in-between my re-watches of MM, I snuck in watching Hotel Del Luna (just wanted to watch more of IU), and I was spooked by the ghostly characters in the first few episodes! LOL!

Ha! I was intrigued by Hotel del Luna, too, but I saw some clips and was like, Nope! I just watched the ending scene where Kim Soo Hyun made a cameo and that was enough. :lol:

• Like 3

On 11/27/2021 at 1:08 PM, the_sweetroad said:

It is a wild ride and excellently-produced, with a central mystery that Lee Sun Kyun needs to solve. I love it so far, even though I'm not usually a fan of the suspense/sci fi genre at all. There are some horror elements in it, but they're not too bad...they're more dreamlike but not supernatural. LSK has to carry the show and he's doing a good job through 4 episodes. There are only 2 more episodes to go, and things are getting very interesting.

If you do watch it (I'd recommend it if you're a fan of LSK in general), join us at the Dr Brain thread! :) 

Sci fi thrillers are definitely my thing, so Dr. Brain will definitely be on my watchlist. I’ve never watched live though, as I usually scour through reviews before I decide which show to watch, the same way I was led to My Mister.

But I believe I should start doing live, if only to join in the fun in these forums! Instead of just playing catch-up! :sweatingbullets:

I’m almost done with my back reading, probably a couple more days to go. The analysis and insights here are truly excellent and delightful, I’m sure no non-shipper could have come out unscathed. :tongue:

To be honest there is no way I could add anything further. I’ll probably add a few different points-of-view and angles on some scenes based on, I suppose, my relatively uncommon profile on this forum – a guy and a relatively K-drama newbie. (Having watched my first K drama only last year at the start of the pandemic lockdown, and as were the case with most newbies at that time, my first watch was CLOY. :lol:)

There were numerous shots of Dong Hoon’s back while he is walking, but everytime Dong Hoon glances at Ji An’s back, it’s always the nape that is focused, not the entire back:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Nape = erogenous zone = physical attraction/desire

In ep1 after the drinks with his brother, Dong Hoon is shown a bit tipsy on the train ride home where he noticed Ji An. I think it is the only scene in the whole show that DH was shown as tipsy (or perhaps closest would be the last scene in ep 4. Edited to add: ohh also in ep 5 when he fell in the snow), perhaps to show he had less inhibitions? So as he noticed Ji An, his curiosity was aroused to what seemed like an attractive young lady. As what many guys would do, he focused on her body parts that were exposed – the ankles and then the nape. Well, it was the bare ankles that first caught his attention before he moved up to look at the nape and then to her reflection on the glass. Not to sound creepy but I suppose that is why he was shown as tipsy. Though even non-tipsy guys would mostly behave in a similar manner. LOL!

From the get go, there definitely was physical attraction. As people had posted a few times here, the fact that he would ignore Yu Ra when he first met her, but was shown to make an effort to strike a conversation with Ji An during her first few days at work, already shows the pull Ji An had on him from the very start. And those nape stares are inserted there to drive home that point – no way is DH’s growing bond with JA a reflection of paternal love or even just platonic interest.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 2

2 hours ago, actionscript said:

And those nape stares are inserted there to drive home that point – no way is DH’s growing bond with JA a reflection of paternal love or even just platonic interest.

"Nape stares" = :lol:

Appreciate your point-of-view as a guy as you get into Dong Hoon's head.

From the get go, there definitely was physical attraction. As people had posted a few times here, the fact that he would ignore Yu Ra when he first met her, but was shown to make an effort to strike a conversation with Ji An during her first few days at work, already shows the pull Ji An had on him from the very start.

I agree - he found her attractive and intriguing, and I don't think he had any idea of the "danger" he could be in from finding Ji An pretty. He insisted to his brothers that she was just a kid, and they were surprised when DH talked to her when they all passed her in the street. If DH had any thought of pursuing her or doing anything inappropriate with her, he would've been less open with her in front of his brothers. As time went by, he was like Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice - he was "in it" before he realized it.

What do you think about the last clip of him in Ep 16?

spacer.png

spacer.png

I know he's happy to have seen Ji An...but that final little smirk he gives. In my mind it says, "I've still got it." :D

Thoughts?

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 2

8 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

"Nape stares" = :lol:

I just realized I got my anatomy confused. Nape I suppose is the back of the neck. The more accurate part I was referring to are the sides of the neck and the portion below the chin that lovers tend to kiss a lot. I guess the more accurate term to use is just “neck stares?” Anyways.. :D

I agree - he found her attractive and intriguing, and I don't think he had any idea of the "danger" he could be in from finding Ji An pretty. He insisted to his brothers that she was just a kid, and they were surprised when DH talked to her when they all passed her in the street. If DH had any thought of pursuing her or doing anything inappropriate with her, he would've been less open with her in front of his brothers. As time went by, he was like Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice - he was "in it" before he realized it.

I loved the way you put it – he was in it before he realized it.  I have similar thoughts and I’ll spell out the details in a future post. I think many got confused on his discussion with his brothers on how he was never tempted before. Many thought that pertained to the kiss at the end of ep 3 and that’s it. In fact practically the whole second half of the show was about him battling that temptation. The whole restraint he showed on his actions were all over (hug refusal, not replying to JA’s texts, avoiding her at Jung Hee’s place, etc.) Viewers who missed those signs were as much in denial as DH were of his feelings in ep 10 during Ji An’s confession. :rolleyes:

What do you think about the last clip of him in Ep 16?

I know he's happy to have seen Ji An...but that final little smirk he gives. In my mind it says, "I've still got it." :D

Thoughts?

Yes I agree with you! I actually didn’t notice it was a smirk until I saw your posted pics! Yes that smirk certainly had a touch of naughty and mischief! Of DH being proud of himself to have finally initiated physical contact.. which led to a positive response from JA. As many had pointed out, the initial hesitance between DH and JA was both feeling each other out after the long separation if the feelings they shared just before they parted are still there. That smile showed the satisfaction he felt for getting an affirmative answer. No way was that a smile of “I’m so proud of my mentee doing so well in her job and in her life now!” :blink:

Or maybe he's just happy he got a glimpse of that nape again. :lol:

PZmeRnz.png

Edited by ferily
Please don’t quote images. Thanks!
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, actionscript said:

I guess the more accurate term to use is just “neck stares?”

:joy: LOL.

I have similar thoughts and I’ll spell out the details in a future post.

Look forward to reading it.

In fact practically the whole second half of the show was about him battling that temptation. The whole restraint he showed on his actions were all over (hug refusal, not replying to JA’s texts, avoiding her at Jung Hee’s place, etc.) Viewers who missed those signs were as much in denial as DH were of his feelings in ep 10 during Ji An’s confession

Completely agree. He's feeling the draw but he knows he can't do anything about it. Muddying the waters is that Yoon Hee starts spending more time at home in the evenings. She used to be meeting with Do Joon Young but now she's back every night and seems so solicitous of him. I always wondered about that...it seems like she always cared about him, then went off with DJY for a season, and when she came back she still cared about him and looked to him. But he was cold to her (understandably). It seemed like role reversal, though, where she wondered and "waited" more for him, like he had in the beginning of the show.

Anyway, the restraint he has to practice toward JA the entire show (esp the 2nd half), contrasted with the ending scene where he's relaxed and free....there's definitely a difference there. I appreciate this post on GMS: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/06/11/not-just-a-thank-you/ especially the lines: "Therefore, when at the end of episode 16, holding her hand and looking deep down in her eyes, he said “thank you” to her, this was the green sign that JA was waiting for. That “thank you” with everything that came together: smile, eyes expression, holding hands with that intensity (with no sign of repression in his body), doesn’t wanting to let go of her hand – means his confession, his “now, I can go to you” answer."

Yes that smirk certainly had a touch of naughty and mischief! Of DH being proud of himself to have finally initiated physical contact.. which led to a positive response from JA. As many had pointed out, the initial hesitance between DH and JA was both feeling each other out after the long separation if the feelings they shared just before they parted are still there. That smile showed the satisfaction he felt for getting an affirmative answer.

OK, this goes deeper than I'd initially thought. Great insights.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/3/2018 at 12:23 AM, t123han said:

Here is a scene from ep 14 that keeps bothering me . When DH was announced the director - he informed his family , his wife , son and in the end jian. Is there any significance to this in why he choose to inform her last ? 

My theory is at this point jian must have been very important person in his life and he does have some feelings which does not fall under pity/platonic category. He wanted to inform all the people who are his family for 40+ years and wanted to get it out of the way, so that he has ample time/ clear mind to inform jian. 

Its like when you have no romantic feelings towards a person you don’t have any problem talking / calling them. But if you develop crush or become uncertain of your feelings , every word you tell that person becomes important. You might become uncomfortable/ conscious around that person . You think 100 times before saying anything to them. 

Was that how DH was feeling because of which he took his own sweet time to let jian know about his promotion ?

I dont know if it’s already been discussed but I don’t remember seeing it. 

On 7/3/2018 at 5:09 AM, sadiesmith said:

I see it the same way.  He's very excited to tell, but subconsciously he's telling himself not to appear too eager.  So he makes the obligatory calls like @kdramaqueennn said, all the while nervously readying himself for when she hears the good news from him.  Poor guy.

Of all the people he informed of his promotion (brothers, wife, Dir Park, son, JA), it was only JA that he thanked, acknowledging the role she played in the whole thing. 

At the end of every episode, just before the preview for the next ep, they would show faded pics of the key scenes in that episode. And I always took note what these scenes were. One of the pics they showed in this ep is his thank you text to JA, the only one they showed among those he contacted. I think it signified that it was deemed most important among those he informed.

spacer.png

Edited by actionscript
  • Like 3

Regarding the voice-over at the end, I believe it points to a conversation in a future meeting between DH and JA. The show has used this technique in ep 10 -- when DH came home and decided to go back out and go to his fave restaurant, his conversation with the chef/owner started through a voice-over while DH is still walking, a full 35 seconds before he was shown inside the place. 

• Like 3

Of all the people he informed of his promotion (brothers, wife, Dir Park, son, JA), it was only JA that he thanked, acknowledging the role she played in the whole thing. 

I also thought it was interesting he called his brothers before he called Yoon Hee. Ki Hoon and Sang Hoon came into omma's house while it was still light out, announcing to omma that Dong Hoon was a Managing Director now. One of them said, "He called me." When Yoon Hee talked to Dong Hoon, it was dark outside.

So he called his brothers first, and wrote Ji An last. The most important people bookended his announcements.

With his text to Ji An there was the hesitation, the making sure he wanted to take this step, and then finally typing out his message. Especially after he hadn't responded to her previous messages telling him good luck and it's not a big deal. I loved how the camera showed him checking to see if she had read the message as well. Seriously, poor guy....his longing is so palpable in this scene. It's the happiest day of his (work) life and he's unable to connect with her. I think even texting her was a huge deal to him. I don't think he had ever initiated a text to her, right?

Great point that JA was the only one he thanked. I hadn't noticed that before. He didn't even thank his mom! :D And I think his mom, not DH, was the one who very indirectly thanked Yoon Hee.

The show has used this technique in ep 10 -- when DH came home and decided to go back out and go to his fave restaurant, his conversation with the chef/owner started through a voice-over while DH is still walking, a full 35 seconds before he was shown inside the place. 

Oh, nice parallel.

This show is so brilliant.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2021 at 11:19 PM, the_sweetroad said:

I also thought it was interesting he called his brothers before he called Yoon Hee. Ki Hoon and Sang Hoon came into omma's house while it was still light out, announcing to omma that Dong Hoon was a Managing Director now. One of them said, "He called me." When Yoon Hee talked to Dong Hoon, it was dark outside.

Oh nice catch! I didn’t notice that his call with Yoon Hee and the rest were already at night.

On 11/29/2021 at 11:19 PM, the_sweetroad said:

With his text to Ji An there was the hesitation, the making sure he wanted to take this step, and then finally typing out his message. Especially after he hadn't responded to her previous messages telling him good luck and it's not a big deal. I loved how the camera showed him checking to see if she had read the message as well. Seriously, poor guy....his longing is so palpable in this scene. It's the happiest day of his (work) life and he's unable to connect with her. I think even texting her was a huge deal to him. I don't think he had ever initiated a text to her, right?

Yup I think that’s the first time he initiated a text to JA. By showing the earlier texts of Ji An, the show reminded us that he never actually replied to those texts. He still didn’t want to lead her on, but the internal turmoil is killing him. And by showing only two lines of texts from JA, it means DH has already deleted her earlier texts of “Buy me food. This is LJA.” During those times, JA isn’t yet who she is now to him, so he only had those “Good luck on your interview” and “It’s not a big deal” texts kept.

Just my thoughts on DH and YH’s relationship post time skip.. I think they are separated without a shadow of a doubt. Whether legally divorced or not, that will just be a formality. I’m more ok with people interpreting the ending between DH and JA differently, but am annoyed with those thinking even DH and YH’s relationship was left open-ended. I think the message portrayed by the pictures shown on his new desk was clear as day. That’s why they showed three (not one, not two, but three!) pictures of YH and Ji Seok without him, so that people won’t miss it!! LOL! He had pictures of the 3 of them shown twice in his old office, plus a huge pic of them 3 at home shown at least a dozen times, to provide an obvious contrast. It also provided a narrative closure to YH’s arc, that she is now also happy in the US with Ji Seok, and that she and DH has remained in good terms, which is consistent with DH’s character to still consider her as family. But if there’s any platonic love here, it’s between DH and YH. Or it might be a stretch to even call it platonic love at this point. :sweatingbullets:

And another important thing – there’s now a picture of the 3 brothers, which he never had before. It’s the very thing YH faulted DH about – of him spending more time with the brothers, considering them as much a family or even more so than YH was. So the fact that he has that picture means now more than ever, his brothers are back as his main family now that he’s practically single again. If he has reconciled with YH, why antagonize her even more with that pic?

So 4 pictures to show without a doubt of his status now. Again, not one, but four! And to top it all off, at the coffee shop, just before meeting JA again, the show had him say “my kid’s mom.” The timing of that adds more significance because they made sure everyone understood that the key roadblock towards DH's growing affection towards JA has finally been lifted, just right before they meet again. What’s the point of reiterating that point when the show had already established that a few minutes back with the pictures? Again to emphasize that when DH meets JA again, the coast is clear. And why re-emphasize that the coast is clear if all we will get is a goodbye or a resumption of friendly meet-ups between DH and JA? It would totally go against the flow of all the things being shown in the post time skip segment. 

On that final voice over, so to pull together all that has been posted here, that short exchange served to shoot 4 birds with one stone:

1. It points to a conversation in a future meeting, so that means they did meet up for that dinner.

2. DH addressing her as Ji An, means their engagement has moved up to one that is more informal and intimate.

3. The “yes, YES!!” (emphasis on the second yes) which signified that JA has found her comfort because she has found DH back into her life again.

4. It provided a narrative closure to the main protagonist -- Ji An, that she has finally lived up to her name, thanks in large part to her ajusshi.

Edited by actionscript
  • Like 4

Group watch coordinated by thefangirlverdict starts in one week. I won't be able to keep up with the pace, but I will definitely read the discussion threads. 

https://thefangirlverdict.com/2021/11/30/announcement-my-mister-someday-or-one-day-group-watches/

Announcement: My Mister & Someday Or One Day Group Watches!

ngcb78

Time really flies; we are already getting ready to wrap up our group watches of Stranger (Secret Forest) and Secret Love Affair!

Thanks to everyone who’s been following along, and especially to those of you who’ve taken the time to share your thoughts on the various episodes, as we’ve watched them. You’ve made the group watches richer and more meaningful, with your sharing and your presence. I truly appreciate you! ❤️

If you recall, we’d mapped out the group watches which would replace this current cycle, back when I’d first run the poll. Now, it’s time to get into gear, for our group watches of My Mister and Someday or One Day, starting next week!

Geo-restrictions

Remember that you can always use Opera’s free, built-in, unlimited VPN to get around geo-restrictions. A tutorial on that can be found here, and an article on why it’s not illegal to use a VPN to access legal streaming content can be found here. You can also sign up for a free account with ProtonMail. All their users get access to their VPN service for free.

Fair warning that this may not work for all streaming platforms, as some of you have shared that only paid VPN services work with platforms like Viu.

*PEOPLE’S CHOICE 2*

Group Watch 2: My Mister

ngcb78

Schedule: Wednesdays, starting 8 December 2021. Posts will go live at 8:00am, my time (GMT+8)

Commitment: 16 episodes. 2 eps per week = 8 weeks.

In other words: We will discuss E1&2 on Wednesday, 8 December 2021, after we finish our watch of Stranger / Secret Forest.

Availability: Available for free on iQIYI and Viki. Also available on Netflix.

Why you should watch: 

A legit masterpiece that I think all drama fans ought to check out, at least once. It’s thoughtful, gritty, beautiful, dark (yet still warm) and haunting, and celebrates so well, what it means to connect as humans. Lee Sun Gyun and IU are wonderfully restrained yet nuanced in this. Also, the OST is ethereal and hauntingly beautiful.

My Mister review is here

My Mister Open Threads:

I’ll be linking the Open Threads here, for easy reference. You’ll also be able to find the Open Thread links on my Full List page.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, actionscript said:

And by showing only two lines of texts from JA, it means DH has already deleted her earlier texts of “Buy me food. This is LJA.”

I was wondering about this before! I was confused why the text thread on his phone wasn't showing those earlier texts, but it makes sense that he would have deleted them. Makes me wonder if he deleted them before or after the other Managing Directors started becoming suspicious of DH and JA's relationship.

I think they are separated without a shadow of a doubt. Whether legally divorced or not, that will just be a formality. I’m more ok with people interpreting the ending between DH and JA differently, but am annoyed with those thinking even DH and YH’s relationship was left open-ended. I think the message portrayed by the pictures shown on his new desk was clear as day. That’s why they showed three (not one, not two, but three!) pictures of YH and Ji Seok without him, so that people won’t miss it!! LOL! He had pictures of the 3 of them shown twice in his old office, plus a huge pic of them 3 at home shown at least a dozen times, to provide an obvious contrast. It also provided a narrative closure to YH’s arc, that she is now also happy in the US with Ji Seok, and that she and DH has remained in good terms, which is consistent with DH’s character to still consider her as family. But if there’s any platonic love here, it’s between DH and YH. Or it might be a stretch to even call it platonic love at this point.

Completely agree. Showing three pictures of Ji Seok and Yoon Hee in America firmly establishes her presence there. And gone is the pic of the three of them. It's nice to know that they're still on good terms, that she is sending him photos, and that he feels "warm enough" toward her to frame them and put them on his desk. But they are no longer a couple, that's for sure, because of the contrast between the earlier photos on his desk and the ones now.

I read that in Korea, if divorce is mutually agreed upon, the couple can move forward with it. However, if it's a "disputed divorce" then a trial is needed. And - important point - if you are the cheating spouse, you are not allowed to take your spouse to trial. It has to be the scorned spouse that files for a divorce in that case. https://10mag.com/how-to-get-a-divorce-in-south-korea-guide/

"Korea follows the model of guilt-based divorce (Verschuldensprinzip) where, unlike in the countries with a no-fault divorce model, the party that is responsible for the marriage failure, cannot file a suit for divorce or it will be dismissed if it is filed."

So, with the models of divorce DH and YH have available to them, DH would have to mutually agree to a divorce or take YH to court. She could never free herself unless DH agreed. I think this plays into the story, because in the end it would still have to be DH saying "Yes, let's divorce, let's take that step." It was up to him....YH was always ready to do what DH wanted her to do, whether to stay with him for the sake of his family, or break up.

ALL that to say....I think they got a divorce, and I think DH finally spoke up and freed both of them.

I don't think he would have naturally, comfortably called YH "ae omma" at the end if they were still married-but-separated. If they were still married-but-separated, knowing him he would've called her "chib saram" until he died. :) The fact that "ae omma" rolls off his tongue in the coffee shop while talking to an acquaintance means that it's been a while since he started calling YH that. Which, to me, means they're divorced....and have been for a while.

(I'm not a fan of divorce at all....but in this case I think it makes sense. It's not like he could trust her again after he knew she had an affair, knew about the bribe, and was OK having him fired. That's a lot to handle. :lol:)

On that final voice over, so to pull together all that has been posted here, that short exchange served to shoot 4 birds with one stone:

1. It points to a conversation in a future meeting, so that means they did meet up for that dinner.

2. DH addressing her as Ji An, means their engagement has moved up to one that is more informal and intimate.

3. The “yes, YES!!” (emphasis on the second yes) which signified that JA has found her comfort because she has found DH back into her life again.

4. It provided a narrative closure to the main protagonist -- Ji An, that she has finally lived up to her name, thanks in large part to her ajusshi.

YES! :wub:

• Like 4