Quantcast
Jump to content
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Recommended Posts

On 5/24/2019 at 3:41 PM, sadiesmith said:

The long awaited director's cut Blu-ray/DVD set is finally here. I wonder if Soompiers who did send in an order would report back. 

 

 

 

 

I'm drooling! No, I haven't gotten mine yet and Yes24 customer service is terrible!

 

Has anyone who ordered from overseas got their order yet?

 

In other news, Parasite just won the Palm d'Or at Cannes!!! (That's the new Lee Seon Kyun film with Song Kang Ho). The first damned Korean film to win the most prestigious film award in the western world!! Damned proud!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, justamom said:

 

I'm drooling! No, I haven't gotten mine yet and Yes24 customer service is terrible!

 

Has anyone who ordered from overseas got their order yet?

 

In other news, Parasite just won the Palm d'Or at Cannes!!! (That's the new Lee Seon Kyun film with Song Kang Ho). The first damned Korean film to win the most prestigious film award in the western world!! Damned proud!

 

Yeah, what an amazing feat. And LSK is damn lucky to be part of two "masterpieces" back to back. I am already making plans to watch it in the theater, but seems like it won't come to the US till November. :(  You, on the other hand, can see it as early as next month. https://www.msn.com/ko-kr/entertainment/movies/story/기생충-측-“192개국-판매-한국영화-해외세일즈-1위”-공식입장/ar-AABR3Bz

 

Please update when you receive your Blu-ray set.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

 

Yeah, what an amazing feat. And LSK is damn lucky to be part of two "masterpieces" back to back. I am already making plans to watch it in the theater, but seems like it won't come to the US till November. :(  You, on the other hand, can see it as early as next month. https://www.msn.com/ko-kr/entertainment/movies/story/기생충-측-“192개국-판매-한국영화-해외세일즈-1위”-공식입장/ar-AABR3Bz

 

Please update when you receive your Blu-ray set.

 

 

Complaining about Yes24 online may have had some use: I just got an alert from DHL that my package is on the way!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's here! My package arrived yesterday. And it contains 2 thick DVD folios: one is episodes 1-16, the second is all special material: BTS, makings of, interviews....I can't wait to start watching but I'm also swamped with work at the moment.

 

I did however dive straight into the script and I couldn't stop reading! I'll try to translate a few key scenes at some point but here's my take so far: the script is really understated! It's as thick as a brick and reads just like a novel. With just a few key sentences--Park Hae Young manages to convey the mood and feeling of the scene. She is such a gifted writer and I'm so in awe.

 

Also--was it in the Japanese interview? I can confirm that I've never seen a script with so many "..." "?" "!" - man it must have been quite a challenge for the directors and actors. Like Park Dong Hoon literally has tons of lines that go like this

 

Dong Hoon: !

Dong Hoon: ...

Dong Hoon: ?

 

I can also confirm that the "expressions of love" scenes are deliberately understated (unlike Her Private Life lol). But as a writer and reader--come on. This is love. It can only be love. In fact it also seems clear to me in many respects that the directing and acting teams added on elements not in the script to show the unspoken love between Dong Hoon and Ji An.

 

More later, when I have more time!

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, justamom said:

It's here! My package arrived yesterday. And it contains 2 thick DVD folios: one is episodes 1-16, the second is all special material: BTS, makings of, interviews....I can't wait to start watching but I'm also swamped with work at the moment.

 

I did however dive straight into the script and I couldn't stop reading! I'll try to translate a few key scenes at some point but here's my take so far: the script is really understated! It's as thick as a brick and reads just like a novel. With just a few key sentences--Park Hae Young manages to convey the mood and feeling of the scene. She is such a gifted writer and I'm so in awe.

 

Also--was it in the Japanese interview? I can confirm that I've never seen a script with so many "..." "?" "!" - man it must have been quite a challenge for the directors and actors. Like Park Dong Hoon literally has tons of lines that go like this

 

Dong Hoon: !

Dong Hoon: ...

Dong Hoon: ?

 

I can also confirm that the "expressions of love" scenes are deliberately understated (unlike Her Private Life lol). But as a writer and reader--come on. This is love. It can only be love. In fact it also seems clear to me in many respects that the directing and acting teams added on elements not in the script to show the unspoken love between Dong Hoon and Ji An.

 

More later, when I have more time!

 

*in Ji An's voice* : I envy you, Ahjumma.

 

I want the script :bawling:

 

Thanks for sharing your observation about the script:thumbsup:

 

May I post them in My Ahjussi IG?

Or may be you could make it a series? :D

I will credit you as the source... Thank you...

 

And, if I'm not mistaken, there's also autograph from the actors in the package.

Whose autograph do you got?

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 6:36 PM, justamom said:

Also--was it in the Japanese interview? I can confirm that I've never seen a script with so many "..." "?" "!" - man it must have been quite a challenge for the directors and actors. Like Park Dong Hoon literally has tons of lines that go like this

 

Dong Hoon: !

Dong Hoon: ...

Dong Hoon: ?

 

Shows again how good an actor LSK must be to be able to flesh out this difficult character so successfully. :bawling:

Can't wait to hear more of your thoughts on the script. Oh, to have the ability to read Korean!

  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone!!!  We're all back!  :D

 

Been looking at the IG clips of LSK at Cannes and he looks so much younger and relaxed.  He's the epitome of a Park Dong Hoon finally comfortable in his own skin. And those clips of him and LJE at the awards ceremony... Ah. Happy Dong Hoon and Ji An.  I couldn't help but see Dong Hoon in the way LSK was being very solicitous towards LJE. :wub:

 

@justamom you bought the DVD box set???  Oh wow. I would love to get that if only for those watercolor renditions of scenes of PDH and LJA walking together. I don't know why but they just evoke this very deep emotion in me. I feel both deeply melancholic yet peaceful and hopeful. This drama still gives me a lot of feels! Do they come with English translations? 

 

I really hope LSK and LJE get to work together again but let it be in a film. And let it be helmed by a director like Bong Joon-hoo. :)

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last time I  was on soompi was when Dokkaebi was airing, safe to say I can no longer login as yukipinkk but here I am back as a noob. It's nice to see this forum still ongoing so long after the drama has finished. I still can't get over it but it's nice to find a place to share the feelings. Tips on how to move on? because everything about this drama is so well thought out and meaningful that I think I will carry it all with me for the rest of my life. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2019 at 10:49 AM, widala said:

May I post them in My Ahjussi IG?

Or may be you could make it a series? :D

I will credit you as the source... Thank you...

 

And, if I'm not mistaken, there's also autograph from the actors in the package.

Whose autograph do you got?

 

Yes of course. Feel free to reshare from my Twitter or Insta. I will post more, just swamped with other writing commitments at the moment. I haven't even had time to watch the making-of DVDs yet. And I don't think there's subtitles :tears: @sadiesmith my Korean's passable but not thaaat good yet. 

 

I didn't even realise there were autographs! I will check later. Honestly I don't really care for the other stuff (my husband saw it and calls it my "altar", haha), all I wanted was the script, the rest is a bonus

  • Like 3
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, justamom said:

I didn't even realise there were autographs! I will check later. Honestly I don't really care for the other stuff (my husband saw it and calls it my "altar", haha), all I wanted was the script, the rest is a bonus

 

Hahaha.... I don't even dare let my husband see half the extent of my obsession. :lol:

  • Like 1
  • LOL 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2018 at 5:55 PM, akhenaten said:

 

@t123han hahaha. I'm definitely sure you're not alone in your obsession. :D

 

Park Dong Hoon is the sort of character that you want to see broken,  meaning,  you want to see him reach his breaking point because he's always so controlled. Yet you know there's this wellspring of violent emotion underneath it all.  If the way he gets angry is any indication, he's probably intensely passionate in love.  It's just that Yoon Hee probably never inspired that level of passion in him.  He loved her but wasn't deeply in love with her. Ji An,  on the other hand,  was everything that he never expected his temptation to be so he never put up any defenses against her in the beginning. So the powerful emotions she awakened in him really caught him offguard. Watching Park Dong Hoon being all stoic while you can sense all that smoldering emotion in his eyes and the way his voice breaks is the stuff of legendary fictional romantic heroes.   So we can only imagine how it would be if he lets himself loose and actually initiates intimate contact with Ji An.  Girl had better be prepared. :) 

 

On 7/4/2018 at 4:48 AM, t123han said:

 

Guess how much of fodder that will provide for passionate scenes in fanfic.( no pressure but nudge... nudge ... amazing writers for fanfic !!! ) 

i am watching earlier episodes and it kind of hurts that PDH does not speak at all to his wife at home. Even when she asks him something basic his replies are one line and generally he ignores her. He looks zoned out half the time he is in same space with her. 

And it’s not that he is not a man capable of passion , it’s just that he has fallen out of love.

In contrast, whenever he is near jian desk in his office , during his coffee break he always looks at her and wants to speak. You can see him sipping his drink and trying to figure out how to initiate a conversion.He is hesitant but always manages to ask some pretty  random ques - how is your grandma? Are you ok ? .what does your name mean ?...

But oh man the fire in his eyes when it comes to jian is unreal. The fight with Kwang , the lovers quarrel when jian ignores him , the sadness when he came to know that she actually stole money. He gets sad, angry, shy, uncomfortable, hesitant, passionate, warmth, love .. he is seeing plethora of emotions that he might have not know he was capable of showing. It’s heartwarming  for us viewers to watch him navigate through all his and find  zest in his life again !!! 

 

We're way past this but I literally went through the thread to find someone who thinks like this. While in many instances Ji An seems to be dominant and more courageous than him, I am pretty sure in intimate relationships it would be just the exact opposite. Dong Hoon is not a victim in intimacy, Ji An is probably the one who is because of all the violence she has come across. Dong Hoon is not unpassionate because he holds back and struggles in life, he just hasn't had that passion with Yoon Hee, plus he didn't let it show as much to Ji An just because he is a man of strong morals and manners and that I appreciate so much. The fight proved that he has it in him. I think while he loved Yoon Hee at some point they just never had that passion, it was just a basic relationship, and with time it even lost that love, and became just like house mates who got used to the other being there, just existing. Like someone who is smart and has a good job and they do it well, but they don't go out and beyond for it because they're not passionate about it. Things change when they're hit by an instances that push them beyond their comfort zone, and they find something they're so interested in that it constantly reminds them of itself, something they connect with so they start finding purpose and meaning. So they go like 'oh wait, there's better? I thought it was normal to just get used to the routine, that it just happened with time?' 

 

I think even that last bit of respect and 'basic' relationship was destroyed and gone when Yoon Hee cheated on him. So they became as good as strangers, probably not even able to be housemates anymore. 

 

But about Ji An...You know how we just get used to tv shows because you have been watching them for years then get into Kdrama and realize there's a whole world you weren't aware of? or watch kdramas then get hit by something like My Ahjussi and you go like 'oh wait dramas can get better?' lol so yeah... it's obviously not that basic there's a lot more to it but that's one of the many reasons why I think he has that passion in him.

 

 

Can I write another spam about how the past few days have been reviving too many drama feels. LSK obviously deserved a whole lot more and I am still upset he didn't get that award but seeing him in Cannes and all that is great recognition of it's own, apart from the fact that he needs to chill and stop being so charismatic even though he has two kids and is in his 40s like this is not fair. 

Edited by LaRoseme
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LaRoseme said:

Can I write another spam about how the past few days have been reviving too many drama feels. LSK obviously deserved a whole lot more and I am still upset he didn't get that award but seeing him in Cannes and all that is great recognition of it's own, apart from the fact that he needs to chill and stop being so charismatic even though he has two kids and is in his 40s like this is not fair. 

 

Hi @LaRoseme! Welcome to the thread. We're on the same wavelength, sis! In the midst of following LSK and Parasite, I have also been reading the fan fic I skipped earlier and experiencing many of that old feels again. Some of them evoked such wonderful melancholy in me. I don't think anyone would disagree that PDH is capable of very very strong passion. We first saw that in episode 4 with the hammer scene.

 

A LSK bonus:

Spoiler

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LaRoseme said:

@t123han hahaha. I'm definitely sure you're not alone in your obsession. :D

 

Park Dong Hoon is the sort of character that you want to see broken,  meaning,  you want to see him reach his breaking point because he's always so controlled. Yet you know there's this wellspring of violent emotion underneath it all.  If the way he gets angry is any indication, he's probably intensely passionate in love.  It's just that Yoon Hee probably never inspired that level of passion in him.  He loved her but wasn't deeply in love with her. Ji An,  on the other hand,  was everything that he never expected his temptation to be so he never put up any defenses against her in the beginning. So the powerful emotions she awakened in him really caught him offguard. Watching Park Dong Hoon being all stoic while you can sense all that smoldering emotion in his eyes and the way his voice breaks is the stuff of legendary fictional romantic heroes.   So we can only imagine how it would be if he lets himself loose and actually initiates intimate contact with Ji An.  Girl had better be prepared. :) 

 

It's way past my bedtime but I just had to hop on here for a second after reading this. I don't mean to blow my own trumpet but ahem, ahem, have you read my story?

 

https://archiveofourown.org/works/14713524/

 

The script is just awesome and giving me all the feels. I promise to do some translations. Not now because I'm working on a few other things, but soon, I promise.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

:D@sadiesmith I can never get enough of that hammer scene, he's all fine until someone tries to harm his family or the people he cares about and just something in him breaks. I enjoy all these different sides of him and Ji An so much.  Despite the lack of background on Ji An they're very round characters indeed, I really applaud the writers. ALSO, WAY TO END YOUR POST :wub::wub::wub:

 

@justamom I almost screamed when I saw your link, that's the very first fanfic I came across for the drama and is definitely my absolute favorite!!! I kept following your blog at the time too, loved it. Also I will be looking forward to the translations,  I am fighting the urge to buy it for the script, don't know if my korean can handle that level of writing. 

 

edit: actually now I'm confused who the blog belongs to but whoever it is, I keep going back to it, it's wonderful!

 

@sadiesmithOh and I just realized you're the same sadie, so thank you for reading the fanfic it makes the super insecure me really happy when others actually enjoy it lol. when I couldn't login to my old account I honestly contemplated whether I should come on soompi with the same name because I feel like I am exposing my awkward self lol but eitherway it looks like I am taking all the obsessing and fangirling I didn't live with you all last year out now:P

Edited by LaRoseme
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooo in January I was looking to buy a new calendar and couldn't find a single one that I liked so me being the obsessive fan that I am I decided to make a My Ahjussi calendar.  I only made one for the winter semester and now I use the one at work so if any of you would be interested in having one for yourself to print, let me know and I will design new ones for June to December and post them here:)

 

Here's the Jan-April one

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CrWxGOs62rIbior_NOR4mXECI-2NpzGF?usp=sharing

 

I am considering making an IU and a LSK version so if you have pics you like and want them to be in there please reply them to this:D

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 1:44 AM, LaRoseme said:

edit: actually now I'm confused who the blog belongs to but whoever it is, I keep going back to it, it's wonderful!

 

The blog was started by the indefatigable @sadiesmith, @h2ogirl and myself! With lots of help and contributions from several other Soompiers like @africandramalover, @oldschooler, @chickfactor, and many more.

 

On 5/31/2019 at 1:44 AM, LaRoseme said:

@justamom I almost screamed when I saw your link, that's the very first fanfic I came across for the drama and is definitely my absolute favorite!!! I kept following your blog at the time too, loved it. Also I will be looking forward to the translations,  I am fighting the urge to buy it for the script, don't know if my korean can handle that level of writing. 

 

You know something, my Korean really improved after My Ahjussi--even my tutor noticed. Because I spent so much time translating stuff I was forced to learn lots of new words and vocab. So give it a shot! :)

 

I'm having My Ahjussi blues now...ahhh....:wub:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received the Blu-ray set yesterday. I'm from the US.

 

The package is full of fan swaggg! More than worth the money to get it.

 

The script however - I want to read it, but have very little skill in Hangul characters. What's the best way to translate the text to English?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Synosis said:

Received the Blu-ray set yesterday. I'm from the US.

 

The package is full of fan swaggg! More than worth the money to get it.

 

The script however - I want to read it, but have very little skill in Hangul characters. What's the best way to translate the text to English?

 

Woot!! Have you tried something like this? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.translate&hl=en_US

It scans and translates at the same time and is very handy when traveling to a foreign country. 

 

I would love to own a copy of the script. If any member here wants to sell her copy, please let me know. :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Synosis said:

Received the Blu-ray set yesterday. I'm from the US.

 

The package is full of fan swaggg! More than worth the money to get it.

 

The script however - I want to read it, but have very little skill in Hangul characters. What's the best way to translate the text to English?

 

Learn Hangul! Just kidding. Naver has a scanning app where you can use your phone. It's machine translation, but it will get the meaning across.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks! Great minds think alike. Just wasn't sure which app was more accurate. Am seriously considering learning Korean. A friend just got back from Incheon and said everyone was really nice, but spoke only a little English. My thought is that going to a foreign country, I should take the time to learn language and customs so I unintentionally don't offend and can get around reasonably well. I'll look into these apps and my local Korean school.

 

Once again, thanks to the helpful people on this fantastic forum from a long-time lurker and My Ajussi fan  :)

Edited by Synosis
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...