[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

8 hours ago, widala said:

This, this is why we'll never get that social media account we all long for :D

He's so sweet :wub:

Aww... Thank you for sharing this.  That is the sweetest thing, his going to the back corner so someone else can have his spot for the photo session.  What a gentleman.

• Like 3

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 Daesang 2nd Seoul Awards
On 10/28/2018 at 3:07 PM, jeijei said:

Never for a second doubted the cinematic quality of this drama. The sincerity of its storytelling, the social discourse it generated, the warmth it provided during its run and the lingering feelings it left us are gifts we'll treasure for a long time. The Daesang was truly deserved. 

Yes! definitely. Best drama for 2018 actually. Technical cinematic visuals of dramas is good in other dramas but in the end it's the story, the brilliant writing and directing and the acting deserved that recognition. Here's hoping more awards.

Speaking of awards...

Off topic:   on going drama TSMTLYE ( SIG JSM) another good  one for 2018 Hope they get recognized too too by December.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, akhenaten said:

Ack. LSK is so shy!  I think the lack of BTS and post-drama photos of him with LJE/IU is primarily his own doing. :P

Hahaha... You think?  Or could it be to avoid even more controversies?  But I also sense his discomfort at being in the spotlight.

@widala, allow me to post this here.  It's so funny. :D

• Like 4

On 10/29/2018 at 6:04 AM, sadiesmith said:

Koala's Playground post on the 2018 Seoul Awards included below.  The comments section provides some interesting reading for sure. :D

Interesting indeed...

I've comeback to the article to read new comments. The arguments are getting hot! :D

I didn't watch Mr. Sunshine so I have no say about LBH's acting. But, it is an epic drama. One's lack of acting performance could be covered by the grandeur of the production.

While My Ahjussi is a more "quite" drama. Good writing and directing is not enough if the actors performance are lacking, especially the leads.

And, I guess everyone knows 

that these awards judgements are not purely objective. That talent, skills and hard work are not always the major values to determine the winners.

At least, MA didn't get totally snubbed. And we still get to see LSK in tuxedo...

And what about Baeksang next year?

Do you guys think it's possible to see LSK and LJE walking hand in hand at the red carpet? 

Or is it still be considered controversial to Korean public?

I saw at the awards ceremonies that LSK seemed to be more relaxed at the Seoul Awards than the KCPA.

Maybe because, like he said in his speech that the prize is a big deal for him and he was nervous...

https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/10/25/lee-seon-kyun-wins-the-prime-ministers-commendation/

While in the Seoul Awards, he was more carefree. He was there just to have fun, meeting friends and supporting My Ahjussi team...

PHIz4Xv_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 5

On 9/12/2018 at 1:03 PM, h2ogirl said:

I've been wondering something... This question goes out to all My Ahjussi fans.

What are some specific instances involving DH-JA that can ONLY be interpreted from a romantic angle? Conversely, what are some DH-JA instances that weaken the romance stance?

@t123han brought up a great example.

For me, I don't know why DH would avoid his regular bar / hangout with his bros and pals for a prolonged period if not to avoid having his feelings / intimacy with JA shown. I mean, why would he maintain a physical distance with his "best friend"?

Your turn. ;)

Hi, hope it's not too late to answer this, since I'm an ahjussi fan I guess it is compulsory :)For me it was every time he did not take the opportunity to deny outright he did not like her.  Second are the times when he stared at his phone for a long time, for example (1) the first time she asked him for a meal, he stared at his phone from "bukchon" to ... their station (I forgot the name! Time flies...) (2) After her confession he sat on the bed and considered the phone for a long time.

On 10/10/2018 at 8:16 AM, popai5 said:

MA will never be replaced or outdone by these new adaptations but it would be interesting to see the results. And if they would give me the relationship between DH and JA that I long for then it would be all the better!

Thanks @popai5for bringing up all the possibilities for a Japanese version. Sorry I'm not familiar with most of the Japanese names, will check them out! How about Satoshi Tsumabuki for ahjussi, is he too baby looking.

8 hours ago, widala said:

And what about Baeksang next year?

Do you guys think it's possible to see LSK and LJE walking hand in hand at the red carpet? 

Or is it still be considered controversial to Korean public?

I'm so happy to see MA winning awards!!! @widala I guess it's ok for LSK and LJE to walk hand in hand right? After all he did that with KSH before, I guess it would be ok??? Though my personal preference is for LSK to walk hand in hand with his wife and to mention Jeon Hye Jin in his acceptance speech.

Sorry this is getting to be a very long post! I was writing something a while ago, needed to express my feelings... thanks for your patience with this long post:

Seeing through a glass, darkly

Glass is hard yet transparent. It blocks entry, but at the same time allows us to peer into the space it shelters. Looking through a glass window or door, we see without touching. We are able to watch and scan every object, action and expression, but we should not be fooled for there is still an invisible barrier that shuts us out. And sometimes, if we look carefully, we see our own reflection. My Mister is a drama about glass. The characters saw others and themselves through a medium—barroom, car and train windows, platform screen doors, mirrors in a restaurant or lift, a pair of shades. It was as though reality was too glaring to bear direct scrutiny, to be acknowledged in person. It was as though our characters, in their shy opacity, chose to see or be seen indirectly, to shield their vunerabilities from too much exposure, to be intimate without touching.

Park Dong Hoon was happy drunk when he caught sight of a girl wearing short socks in the winter. He was intrigued not only because she was underdressed for the weather, but also because she seemed familiar. He tried locate who it was by looking at the face reflected in the train window. This was his first real sight of Lee JiAn – dark and pitiful.

glass1_zpsdvgh960g.png

A few episodes later, through her reflection in a platform screen, he indirectly saw the same face looking at him intensely. He looked back at her in person, and acknowledged her uncomfortably. By then, he had found out that she was not only sharp tongued and guarded, but was also a kind girl who took care of her grandmother. Progressing from knowing her as an undefined shadow, he was now holding real conversations and dining with her.

glass2_zpsatg0muaf.png

DH had thus far looked at JA indirectly and hesitantly, but JA had no qualms about staring at DH directly in his face. When he received a bribe and when he said he had never beaten a woman before, she had stared directly at him through her shades. Just like when she wiretapped him, she was able to scan him thoroughly while remaining inscrutable herself.

Spoiler

glass3_zpsekybac3h.png

Spoiler

glass4_zpszv1qei9q.png

After JA had heard from JY that “if he dines and drinks with you, he likes you,” her reflections on their relationship were likewise modulated by the dark train windows. It was as though JA’s contemplations were unacceptable and had to emerge from an alternate, darker self. Likewise, DH’s reflection in the train window as he thought about the director’s ploy to bring JY down through him was equally dark.

Spoiler

glass5_zpslwryhcw0.png

So much had happened when DH, JA and their colleagues ran for the last train to the tune of the OST, “A Reflection of My Heart”. Their colleagues were a step too late, and had waved vainly at them as the train departed from the station. Alone, DH asked JA why she had stayed back to work overtime, and she replied she had learned well from his admonition, to work well with the others, to be socially acceptable. Then, panning to her reflection in the window, Ji An’s dark self confessed, “I missed you so I waited for you.”

Spoiler

glass6_zpswdc6cicp.png

She frankly described the nature of their relationship of mutual empathy and perhaps, love. He was dumb because he could not deny or agree with it on principle. It was then that JA saw the private investigator who secretly took their pictures. She walked away from DH, through door after door until she felt they had a safe enough distance between them. But DH would not have it. He pursued the PI, through the same layers of doors, until he reached JA again, and there he planted himself next to her. We see the train continuing its journey, DH and JA looking out of the glass door. But were they looking out? I later realised from the angle of their faces and eyes, that they were actually looking at each others’ reflection, JA shyly and DH, frazzled, confused, angrily. DH had come face to face with his own dark reflection next to hers.

Spoiler

glass7_zpsafysaghn.png

Many times we see DH and JA’s eating and drinking sessions alternately from within the restaurant itself and from the outside, through a glass window. When JA broke the news about going to Busan, for example, the separate frames in which JA and DH were captured foreshadowed their imminent separation.

Spoiler

glass8_zpssp9mixw0.png

Their communion was a world so intimate it had to be protected from intruders. Ki Hoon could not figure out what his brother was doing with a girl wearing sunglasses at night. Gwang Il could not believe his eyes that JA was hobnobbing with a crumpled middle-aged man. Team 3 was not privy to the scandalous conversation that DH had with JA when he warned her about taking liberties with him. When DH found JA after she had run away, their charged reunion could only be observed by the dear janitor from a side window to his shed.

Spoiler

glass9_zps8j4vxh3q.png

This was true not only for DH and JA. We are obliged to see not only through the cameraman’s lenses and our tv screen, but with an additional layer of glass windows when DH told the Chairman the whole story about his wife’s infidelity, JY’s schemes, and how JA had saved him. The same privacy was given to Gwang Il when he heard JA’s words about his earlier kindness to her and his dilemma that she killed his father. Like Ki Hoon who would like to break into the TV, we want to be as near as we could get to the world that has stolen our hearts. But then we are reminded that our characters needed shielding and to maintain some face-saving distance, precisely because of the explosive nature of their pent up personalities. But I’d also like to think that this is a VIP world where the only special pass is love given and received. The random couples in Kojubang had licence of entry into the special restaurant where DH and JA met regularly. Unless we know love and are touched by it, we have no business transgressing into their world.

Spoiler

glass10_zpsjoufgklq.png

Seeing through a glass darkly, we see each other imperfectly. Even if we were to understand each other closely, such as the level of knowing that DH and JA had of each other, we still have barriers that prevent complete expression and communion. My Mister is a story about making a moral choice between the rightful and the wrongful way to satisfy our needs, whether it be a transgression of forbidden boundaries that inevitably hurts others, or holding back just enough to be intimate without violating the sanctity of rightful relationships. Therefore, the barriers that shield an unprepared and vulnerable soul, or which separates a rightful from a wrongful relationship, should not be lamented but is to be treated with gentleness and respect. Ironically, because “good fences a good neighbour make”, the barriers that DH erected between himself and JA allowed for the further development of their relationship at the right time. I believe this drama is appealing to so many of us because it fleshes out our thwarted longing for full understanding, expression and communion in our relationships. “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.”

Spoiler

glass11_zpsy2hdebxb.png

JA finds DH through an open café door

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

@oldschooler, so glad you came back with your thoughts. I saw your post when I woke up but had to put it off all day until I had a quiet moment to myself.  I knew I needed to savor every word.  What a fabulous essay; it made me cry again.  I don't know what you do for a living, but I wish someone like you would teach writing to my kids.  That last thing about the open door, I have no words... 

Well, maybe one thing:

glass8_zpssp9mixw0.png

The scene at their meeting place did start out with a bar separating them, but this is how it ended following their "confessions":

NpfUgSfDWP6yiGS04ASvrOdpOPa4rwYHMCIAkVRBehYjbbFn2l5EZLh0nq1dsgIHrl2v_tAnZgNWw6DkZok_QhDM__w0FswDjv6D04Mj6TS0b72BwBz-8iCj7PGH3zve_L-WWmhm

No more separation, only a brightly burning candle right in between them.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Your observations about the glass theme in MA is amazing @oldschooler! And the writing is also great!

Thanks so much for sharing!

@sadiesmith, I've read somewhere in dcinside that the candle could represents marriage? If I'm not mistaken, reading it using Google translate :sweatingbullets:

Off topic:

Spoiler

Lee Sun Kyun and Ha Jung Woo movie PMC trailer, planned to be released in December

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I tried to watch Mr. Sunshine but I felt it was trying too hard to be grandiose and epic. As if it were too conscious of its own consequence.  The thing with a drama like My Mister is that it's so quietly intense. It requires very skilled and nuanced acting because it's so intimate. I don't know but I personally think My Mister is more difficult and challenging acting-wise because the actors need to control their acting so that it doesn't go overboard. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, akhenaten said:

I tried to watch Mr. Sunshine but I felt it was trying too hard to be grandiose and epic. As if it were too conscious of its own consequence.  The thing with a drama like My Mister is that it's so quietly intense. It requires very skilled and nuanced acting because it's so intimate. I don't know but I personally think My Mister is more difficult and challenging acting-wise because the actors need to control their acting so that it doesn't go overboard. 

On 10/30/2018 at 12:20 AM, widala said:

I didn't watch Mr. Sunshine so I have no say about LBH's acting. But, it is an epic drama. One's lack of acting performance could be covered by the grandeur of the production.

I agree so much with what you both said.  Funny how these two dramas turned out to be the two major contenders for best dramas this year when they can't be any more different.  One tried to rouse the emotions by  ways of epic grandiosity and appealing to the Korean sense of patriotism.  The other tried to do the same through a quiet story telling about downtrodden middle-aged men and two young individuals society would rather not bother with.  Comparing them this way, it should be of no surprise if Mr. Sunshine will be the one rewarded the most come Baeksang Awards next year.

Spoiler

Ha Jung Woo seems to have the cool and badass role in PMC, while LSK plays a North Korean doctor who's been abducted.  Hope it performs well at the box office.

XCKUtjE7reA9lH55xR8Ob9o505B2b9Py-INVW_QArNJSqlTTJ4VPJpg_Qbl_i2GQvcDRtRBOsHQ7KXnsETha0LOgxeTiVnUE69vapjMk42nV_dnj0E1ydhVM3RzaIsLmvhdu85ml

ouKdLUsYLe0qD28dMrOCW3jrB2IrgdysUeTlq8_WskA8TNHp47hWLkdnaZGbSP3eWy3F6yQ-VJ-d0zQaKXFYoLiYX637gPnjpoTpQ2VIYetJCwpVyRyiHBV_kDWB63GyRuJdBhe0

jLb7eouAdDeMUqyQgtrRQqlpwPCGcKa3uJA4xT6noDu5qL580sAIqR0rIqL7R2ag-NtDd9SwqXufV_Ww6vYPw0ACaQ-WO6219c2rK7CCCkyOKWGIRicPIHJyu4LQlCI9tIW0aEE2

• Like 4

CONGRATULATIONS to My Ahjussi!!!!!

Wow! To the winners at the APAN, winning Best Drama at the Seoul Award's and to LSK being awarded the Prime Minister Commendation at the Korean Pop Culture and Arts ceremony. These are so well deserved!!!

Before the nominations and the awards I felt like Jian when she first saw Dong hoon at the cafe. Happy inside but a bit hesitant. I knew that this was a drama deserving of recognition and awards but I didn't know if the accolades and nominations would actually come about. The nominations for the Korean Drama Awards brought joy but not winning made me think our show would not be fully recognized. But then the APAN's!!! I felt like Dong hoon when he saw Jian. A big smile came to my face too. I felt like holding on to all of your hands and pulling everyone in for a big group hug.

Thank you all for sharing your joy and excitement. Thank you @sadiesmith and @widala and @t123han for posting photos and videos and translations of what transpired at the awards ceremonies. And to whomever else posted pics and vids but I can't remember by name.

Thank you @Joseph Lim for posting the translations of LJE's thoughts about possibly leaving the drama but staying after having a heart to heart talk with the PD. It shows how hard of a time she had trying to portray JA. But she hung in there and gave us a performance we all loved and respected. It was so worthy of her APAN win!

Like LSK inferred in his acceptance speech. Despite the controversy, good story-telling plus great acting broke through any prejudice and brought this drama to life. I hope many more people discover our gem and enjoy it like we do. It proves that we are not alone in our devotion!

p.s. 300 pages, yea!

• Like 6

@oldschooler your thoughts above about glass were so brilliantly told. Bravo!

I wanted to add the scene where DH looks so defeated sitting in the car after the soccer match but through the window he sees JA looking back at him with eyes filled with concern and heartache and love.

I am going to use your beautiful analysis as proof for the 'shipper' group. I think we can safely say now that the meeting between JA and DH at the end of ep 16 represents a new beginning for their relationship. There is no glass barrier. We are not peering into a private space. They are outdoors in the sunshine with no dark reflections. They are outside holding hands for all to see. Their smiles are big and bright. The trees are green. The traffic signals are green. The birds are chirping and soon everyone will be singing and dancing like in '500 Days of Summer' (sorry, I'm getting carried away here). We are looking at their relationship at a very different time in their lives with new eyes. The glass barriers are moved. Have they been shattered? The official ending may say no but in our hearts it is a resounding yes!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 10/31/2018 at 9:34 AM, akhenaten said:

I agree.

I liked "Mr. Sunshine" a lot. But there was definitely a sense of "Bow down to its majesty!" vibe to it. The beginning of the show was like a faberge egg, beautiful but remote. The last 1/4 is precision-engineered to wring every drop of tears out of you, and it worked. I cried so much.

But it has the weight of history behind it. You cry for the characters, but you're ultimately crying for the Lost Joseon. Koreans celebrate Korea, but the Joseon that was stolen is an open, gaping wound, and "Mr. Sunshine" does a great job poking it.

It is the only K-drama I saw this year that even holds a candle to "My Ahjussi." It was so full of love, warmth, and so funny and so great.

I enjoyed watching Lee Sun-Kyun and Park Ho-San as they won The Seoul Awards. Best K-drama of the year? TRUE DAT. But IU was not even nominated as best actress? Well, that's just wrong. Lee Sun-Kyun was the perfect Ahjussi, but IU as Ji-An was the heart and soul of this show.

Let this be the beginning of many more awards for this show!

• Like 5

Thanks for your encouraging words @t123han @sadiesmith @widala @popai5 and @arctichare! @arctichare the quote and those pictures of really seeing are so beautiful, thanks for posting them. Very clearly indeed! How am I going to move on from MA though, these pictures still bring back a lot of memories :bawling:

On 10/31/2018 at 2:55 PM, sadiesmith said:

I don't know what you do for a living, but I wish someone like you would teach writing to my kids.  That last thing about the open door, I have no words... 

No more separation, only a brightly burning candle right in between them.

I'm so glad that the end of that sad scene is not in separate panes but bright candles! Thanks for pointing that out, the thought of them having a chance with each other in dramaland still makes me so happy. It would be a great privilege to teach your kids, I'm very sure they already have the best teacher by their side :D. My background is in psychology (with interest in suicide prevention/awareness), so I guess that was where MA caught me at first, with the two near-suicide scenes, at a very visceral level.

On 11/1/2018 at 4:29 AM, popai5 said:

I wanted to add the scene where DH looks so defeated sitting in the car after the soccer match but through the window he sees JA looking back at him with eyes filled with concern and heartache and love.

Yes! That scene with so many deep, mixed feelings, thanks for bringing it up! Everyone trapped in their own snug compartment, but LJA in the open makes PDH want to break out of his beta van. If only they would break into song and dance at the end....

• Like 5