Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

The same question asked by DJY to JA in EP 11. 

Why do women like Park Dong Hoon? 

He's nothing special from a male's perspective.

Why do you like him? Let me hear your reason. 

I'm asking because I'm curious. 

Edited by noklek
  • Like 7

One of the reasons why i like PDH is because he always asked YH, "Want me to buy something for you?" 

But i just like PDH. It was easy to like him. How can i not like PDH?

9 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

LSK: “WHY DO YOU LIKE ME?” IU: “I JUST DO.”

Read the rest on Give Me Slippers.

Thank you for translating this interview,  @justamom!  This is such a treasure.  We actually get to read their thoughts about the drama,  their characters and each other. It's clear that LSK and LJE really like each other in real life and that came out in their acting. And the way they teased each other about why Lee Ji An liked Park Dong Hoon is just cute and adorable. :wub:  I am once again amazed at their effortless chemistry. These two are just beautiful that I would want to see them together in another project. I totally ship them onscreen!  Coz that's the farthest I can go. :D

And again,  I just want to commend them for such brilliant acting.  They were totally immersed in their characters that their own personalities totally disappeared.

MA has turned me into LJE's fan as an actress. As for LSK, I bow to his greatness.  :)

• Like 10

4 hours ago, noklek said:

The same question asked by DJY to JA in EP 11. 

Why do women like Park Dong Hoon? 

He's nothing special from a male's perspective.

Why do you like him? Let me hear your reason. 

I'm asking because I'm curious. 

I wish someone would do a character analysis on Do Joon Young.  He is a pathetic jerk, but that doesn't mean he is not funny.  He is amusingly pitiful and very entertaining.

Why do I like Park Dong Hoon?  He is a true man.  He doesn't even have to try to appear manly, he just is, in all sense of the word.  

Welcome @noklek!  Glad you finally posted.

• Like 9

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:06 PM, ladyrini said:

Yes, every country has different rules when it comes to on-screen romance, but they shouldn't make it obvious when it comes to IU 'coz she needs to hone her acting skills by pairing with LSK . Btw, thanks for sharing!

Thanks a lot for your greetings. It is better to arrive late to the party than not to arrive at all. LOL. And I still have to watch this drama for the second time!!!!!!! 

• Like 8

I've always wondered about this drama's influence in Korea itself. Do they finally admit LSK & IU are a great pair on-screen and ship them also like us in here?

I think PDH not only likeable for women but also men.

He has a loyal team, other subordinates look up to him (maybe also slightly pity him because he's being bullied by Dir. Yoon), Chairman Jang and Director Park Dong Woon like him, his rival in director's candidate also seems to respect him. Not to mention his buddies and the people in the Hoogye neighborhood.

He's a nice and kind person, who appealed to both men and women (cats and dogs too maybe :D).

And he is genuine. He's not the type who's being nice just because he wants something (even DJY confirmed this).

But, while this trait is his strength, it was also his weakness.

...and he puts up with others to the extent that he’s lonely and suffers...

And Lee Ji An sees him through :

You're struggling through your life sentence of earnestness.

I hope his new self (after the time skip) found the balance of being kind without hurting himself...

And it's just one point (kindness).

There are also how he deals with prejudice, and his internal strength/force...

(I'll talk about it later maybe...)

Personally, I found PDH attractive because of his flaws and how he handled them... But most importantly it's the sharp nose, the hot bod, the cute smile and did I mention the voice? I mean, the VOICE! (Yes, I'm shallow, sorry not sorry B))

May I add something?

This is my take on DJY words

"Why do women like PDH?"

I think the "women" DJY meant was not really women in general, but Kang Yoon Hee.

"Why does KYH like PDH?"

"Why did she chose him? Not me?"

Because even when they were in their lovenest, she kept talking about PDH.

DJY called her out for this. "You must be still love PDH..." (I'm paraphrasing, couldn't remember the exact word or the episode, I'll try to find it later), which she didn't really deny outright.

But, love and affection KYH had for PDH wasn't enough to make her stay in the marriage, because he doesn't have what she wanted in a spouse...

• Like 9

Tollgate polls! if you haven't voted already, please do visit the events section under Home > soompi info > events

based on members nominations, there are 5 polls. look for these threads within the events section here :

tollgate poll 1 - villains

tollgate poll 2 - dramas

tollgate poll 3 - side characters

tollgate poll 4 - OTP, leads

tollgate poll 5 - misc

based on nominations, this drama was suggested for drama category. if you think this drama is like a good meal, then cast your vote!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, widala said:

Personally, I found PDH attractive because of his flaws and how he handled them... But most importantly it's the sharp nose, the hot bod, the cute smile and did I mention the voice? I mean, the VOICE! (Yes, I'm shallow, sorry not sorry B))

Hot bod ?? Did I miss something ? Where did you even get to watch PDH hot bod amongst hundred layers of winter clothes.. 

did you just let your imagination run wild ?? He...he..

On a side note some of the fanfic are so well written that the line between drama and fanfic kind of blurs for me. I have to actually confirm that the loving look , that touch which PDH gives to Jian is just in fanfic world and not in the drama.. lol!!!

And why do I like PDH ? 

Let me too be shallow and just say , because it’s LSK, because it’s the voice.. bc I just like him !! How can you not like him ??? :) 

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, t123han said:

Hot bod ?? Did I miss something ? Where did you even get to watch PDH hot bod amongst hundred layers of winter clothes.. 

9u0Yrexl.jpg

Yep, totally just my imagination :phew:

Now, Park Dong Hoon is silently judging me because of my sleazy mind...

ALzX3FX.jpg

2MoTGR1.jpg

• Like 5
  • LOL 6

Just to say again cos everyone needs to be aware.... 

It's the coming to winter cold days end "ber" months. which means end of the year awards coming up. 'With apologies to Kim Tae Ri and other actresses,  I'm no fan of hers but  IU got to be recognized for her good acting in this drama. I'm jaded or cynic when it comes to awards thing cos it's mostly popular awards,  she's got to be appreciated for doing a good job here. Plus brilliant writing for this drama also has to win an award. I'd say this is one of the best dramas of 2018. The whole drama should be recognized actually. No need to have technical aspects cinematography for a drama to be powerful. It's simple dark look at life and work and helplessness yet showed us what grit and determination  and loneliness and friendship and family means.

• Like 12

18 hours ago, widala said:

Yep, totally just my imagination :phew:

Now, Park Dong Hoon is silently judging me because of my sleazy mind...

@widala my friend, I think it's safe to say you're not the only one.  This poster from the DC inside might be your long lost twin: 

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=leesk&no=120577&page=1  

I lol'ed hard. Make sure to google translate to get the full effect.  :lol:

20 hours ago, t123han said:

This soccer scene is your best bet (where he is most skimpily clothed throughout the whole show):

1JZlZvy.png

• Like 5
  • LOL 5

14 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@widala my friend, I think it's safe to say you're not the only one.  This poster from the DC inside might be your long lost twin: 

http://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=leesk&no=120577&page=1  

I lol'ed hard. Make sure to google translate to get the full effect.  :lol:

This soccer scene is your best bet (where he is most "skimpily" clothed throughout the whole show):

@sadiesmith hahaha!  If that's "skimpily clothed" for PDH,  I wonder how he would look like all wrapped up. :D

But I do love PDH in those soccer scenes. He looks so natural. It's as if he's in his element, where he's supposed to be. 

• Like 8

@noklek on the reasons why I like PDH, others here have said them all, and I agree with them (“manly and hot bod” included!) :lol: in my own words, I like him because he is a very kind person, and I think the world now need more people who are kind to others, willing to help others sincerely, no hidden agenda, the world really could use people like PDH who respect others no matter what their social status is,,so for me it’s like Dong Hoon’s character help to keep my faith in humanity,,:love:

and of course PDH being attractive just add to his positive side (shallow of me, hahaa),,

one last thing, I admire people who can be a good influencer for others, and the way Dong Hoon’s character (especially for being kind and sincere) touch Ji An’s heart so that she grown into someone better, willing to change to be a better person, that’s really get me, I love him for that,,of course Ji An also has influenced Dong Hoon to grow into a better person too, now they’re just perfect for each other :wub:

#foreverashipper :D

I have read the updated interview translation in the fan site, again thank you soo much for the hard work guys,, I really enjoy reading it, many many thanks @justamom !

• Like 7

Why do I like Park Dong Hoon?  Because he's so unassuming and shy and humble that he doesn't seem to be aware of his own attractiveness and charm.  He finds it weird that a young woman like Ji An would be interested,  really interested,  in him. At the same time,  he finds it strange that the Board and the Chairman see his worth and Joon Young sees him as a threat. Makes me wonder if he married Kang Yoon Hee and decided to do his best to love her because he was so grateful that she wanted him at all. This man is like is not aware of his own worth and in a way, therein lies his charm. :)

• Like 8

6 hours ago, akhenaten said:

Why do I like Park Dong Hoon?  Because he's so unassuming and shy and humble that he doesn't seem to be aware of his own attractiveness and charm.  He finds it weird that a young woman like Ji An would be interested,  really interested,  in him. At the same time,  he finds it strange that the Board and the Chairman see his worth and Joon Young sees him as a threat. Makes me wonder if he married Kang Yoon Hee and decided to do his best to love her because he was so grateful that she wanted him at all. This man is like is not aware of his own worth and in a way, therein lies his charm. :)

Makes me remember what Choi Yoo Ra said to Lee Ji An when they first met, that LJA is the type of person who is pretty but doesn't know it.

And LJA was stunned when DJY said that if PDH eats and drinks with someone, it means he likes them ("what kind of crazy man would like a woman like me?")

It's a part of their journey to find their own sense of self worth...

• Like 7

On 8/15/2018 at 1:14 AM, t123han said:

Here is small exercise for you guys. Put your headphone and don’t watch the video just listen. The few words he speaks in the beginning... his voice.. oh god... when you don’t watch the video and just close ur eyes and listen to voice you realise the beauty of it. It’s so deep and kinda of touches deep in your heart. 

This guy should do voiceover to those guided meditation videos. I think I can go into trance just by listening to his voice.

It's just so good, @h2ogirl, I think I can do the whole drama just listening the to sound and not looking at the pictures :)

On 8/14/2018 at 5:33 AM, ann04 said:

Three months on and I still haven’t moved on :wub:  but Ive definitely slowly eased into other dramas now. It’s just that MA will always have that special place 

Thanks, I have not moved on too @ann04. I tried watching non-korean non-drama, like the movie Beirut. Even that reminded me of something familiar (1) despairing ahjusshi who drinks (2) spy who went rogue :sweatingbullets:

On 8/15/2018 at 6:59 PM, emmafaye said:

Since this fabulous show ended, i have been reading almost all the comments in this thread. Yes, the 290 pages!!!!!! :blink:

But is has been a pleasure, so much, I feel like I know some of you guys from how your minds were changing or simply expressing yourself throughout the airing of My Ajusshi. From @sadiesmith  to @justamom, @tiger457_stv the Engineer, @africandramalover, @wotad, @noor1, @arctichare, @snowdragon, @akhenaten, @joseph lim, @mylovelystar, @timidjock0819, @chickfactor, @aisling, @ccl82, @philosophie, and some others i don´t remember right now. Shippers and non-shippers, or less shippers… Those in the Delulu Island... You guys rock! To all of you, Thank you! 

Hi @emmafaye, I felt like I went through the same journey reading through posts in this forum from the beginning, I was luckier because it ended around 260 pages at that time. All the angst, all the insights! All the delulu comments too:wub:! It made me feel the drama viewing was a more complete experience. And yes! they deserve each other so much.

@noklek Why do I like PDH? Because I'm a woman :D

• Like 6
  • LOL 4

Hello everyone. Just saw some people on twitter linking back to the fansite. One called it a “gold mine” and that’s so true. Imagine just stumbling upon analysis after analysis about the drama and soo many more insights, I would have felt so overwhelmed and mind blowned. I feel so lucky for them, everything collated in one organised site to be devoured. Like an extension of the drama. So again, well done to everyone who helped/helping with the fansite and thanks for your work, it looks amazing :wub: 

22 hours ago, oldschooler said:

tried watching non-korean non-drama, like the movie Beirut. Even that reminded me of something familiar (1) despairing ahjusshi who drinks (2) spy who went rogue

Tell me about it:tears: there’s so many scenes I see from other dramas and when they come up, I automatically think of those ones in MA. What is this. 

On 8/18/2018 at 10:06 PM, sadiesmith said:

wish someone would do a character analysis on Do Joon Young.  He is a pathetic jerk, but that doesn't mean he is not funny.  He is amusingly pitiful and very entertaining.

Yes he is. And also everything that comes out of his mouth, esp. about women liking DH and about DH himself, sounds so matter of fact. Maybe it’s because he doesn’t like him and yet he says these things about DH’s way of showing he likes someone. He’d eat/drink with that person. We saw how many times he had refused the chairman. His confusion about why women likes DH and the way the women in his life acts in regards to him. He knows so much about DH despite not liking him. He’s like the third person in the drama, he’s removed from the attachment of everyone else so he sees it for what it is. Jian liking DH. This was one of the areas of ambiguity. We know she likes him as a person but does it mean she likes him as a man also? After a few meetings with Jian, JY would always stare at her in a knowing, suspicious way. There was one instance where he said Jian was getting talkative. He was staring at her with that knowledge in his head that this woman was there for something other than what they agreed on. 

That makes his statements in that regard reliable. He hits him where it hurts Because he knows where DH will hurt: YH, his senior position despite DH’s seniority over him and ofcourse, through Jian. Throughout the drama, we’ve been given hints at how much JY and DH knew about each other. The writer/pd was so clever to put him not only as the bad one but also someone to fill in more gaps about who DH is. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @sadiesmith for your open invitation to write on our favourite locations. Here is another attempt.

The countryside in My Mister

“In the mountains there you feel free” ~ T. S. Eliot, The Wasteland

@rellea translated a post in DC Inside, which pointed out that PDH’s bag symbolises the weight of life that he carries. I think one place where he consistently does not hold on to his bag is in the countryside.

The countryside in My Mister is a place to which our characters escape to find peace and rest, and the insights they glean during their excursions often constitute a turning point in the characters’ development. In contrast to the city wasteland, with its crammed alleys and the neutral tones of office cubicles and subway stations, the countryside is replete with life and lush colours and wide open spaces. These qualities allow our characters to see clearly the most important facts of their lives for the first time, and to gather strength to act on these insights.

yumyeongsan1_zpsqisxmoeu.png

Yumyeong Mountain (Gyeonggi-do Gapyeong)

yumyeongsan2_zpszkvjw9dh.png

Yumyeongsan first appears as one of Joon Young and Yoon Hee’s getaways. We later realise that this setting is the place where the irrevocable deaths of both Yoon Hee’s marriage and affair would happen. When DH found out that YH has cheated on him with JY at the campsite, he goes there to confront JY, perhaps for the first time, setting clear expectations on what JY must do to end the affair. His visit to the campsite is a death blow to his marriage, because he lands on the very spot where YH and JY could be making love, in the tent. 

Spoiler

yumyeongsan5_zps666bjfrb.png

Spoiler

yumyeongsan4_zpsuvun7gqb.png

He also confirmed with JY that YH has known all along the plan to sack him and yet did nothing. From then on, he will stay with YH, but only as the corpse she has made him. As karma, it is at this campsite also where YH confirms JY has been lying to her.

Jeongsusa Temple

Spoiler

temple3_zpsgbt9jzjj.png

PDH’s mother first visits the temple to calm her fears and heartbreak about her sons. PDH also runs to the temple for respite from too much pain from discovering that YH knows he knows about her affair with JY. Because this means their marriage façade will be too difficult to maintain. @africandramalover wrote beautifully about the significance of the song El Condor Pasa which accompanies him there.

Spoiler

temple0_zpss21zxpr5.png

Spoiler

temple1_zpsordx58vp.png

He bumps into Sang Won stranded by the roadside from a flat tyre, and gladly throws his bag onto the truck before helping SW to change the tyre. Later, at the temple, SW tells DH off about sacrificing his own happiness for others when he would not allow his own son to do the same. DH needs to recognise his needs and be more shameless in fulfilling them (cf. @justamom). Finally, SW comforts DH with a “not a big deal” hug. As a result of this visit, DH feels sufficiently freed to punch JY for the affair, quarrel with JA about taking away his slippers, and break down completely in front of his wife.

Ironically, the sage-like Sang Won could not find peace in this temple 20 years on after his abrupt flight from Hugye. He is stranded like his truck. He only inhabits this temple physically, because like every good Asian son and boyfriend, his soul is still tied to Hugye in a suffocating cycle of blame and guilt. His left-behind never-to-be bride, Jung Hee, likewise mourns for 20 years and hopes to guilt trip him back to her side. Finally, she follows after Omma and DH’s footsteps to meet SW at the temple. Seeing that she is here, SW delivers a lecture on widening our circle of love instead of holding on bitterly to something we cannot attain. It is a lecture not unlike that of Dag Hammarskjöld’s writings on his singlehood, characterised by “longing, like carnal desire, but directed toward earth, water, sky, and returned by the whispers of the trees, the fragrance of the soil, the caresses of the wind, the embrace of water and light.” But JH misses the message, thinking that baby mountain kids are worth more than she is. Perhaps SW is not very convincing, because he is as bound as JH is to each other. 

Spoiler

temple6_zpsvajuhrt5.png

Rattled by her visit, he meditates in his cell for a few days, during which I believe he finally understands he cannot achieve peace unless he resolves what he has been leaving hanging on his conscience. So, instead of hiding in the monastery, he goes back to Jung Hee on a clear sunny day to find a resolution, bringing yellow flowers that symbolise friendship and happiness (https://www.rd.com/advice/relationships/6-rose-colors-and-their-meanings/

Spoiler

temple7_zpsdjajnrbs.png

I wonder what allows Jung Hee to move on after the visit? I think it’s because she realises that he does love her enough to suffer from this much guilt.The fact that she is loved and does matter reverses Jung Hee’s suspicion that she is not worth much and therefore should not live properly. And her forgiveness frees our monk to finally find the peace that he has been seeking for the past 20 years. His visit symbolically closes the gap between the temple (sacred, solitary, free) and Hugye (down-to-earth, secular, strong kinship ties). Instead of obtaining peace by running away from real life and hiding in some monastery, he embodies the peace that he has been seeking, and may now become a real sage who brings peace to everyone wherever he goes.

Spoiler

temple5_zpsak9xo2be.png

Grandma’s nursing home (somewhere over the rainbow?)

Spoiler

nursinghome2_zpspjftax6d.png

The elderly living facility to which grandma shifts is also in the countryside. After they move in, grandma thanks DH for taking care of JA. Depending on your point of view (and as was pointed out by a fellow poster), this could also be seen as a symbolic gesture of passing the baton of taking care of JA to DH.

Spoiler

nursinghome1_zpszmtvelox.png

JA gains a few insights here. On an unknown road between the facility and the bus stop, DH tells JA that her past is not a big deal if she stops harping on it. In essence, he is telling her that she should let go of her guilt (my own words) and live up to her name, reaching comfort/peace (an/安/안).

Spoiler

nursinghome3_zpsiobkjbnp.png

Before her death, JA and DH visit grandma at the nursing home for the last time. With falling blossoms in the background, Grandma tells JA about the widening circle of love.

Spoiler

nursinghome4_zpshzazdccz.png

Spoiler

nursinghome5_zpsl02dlupu.png

Her relationship with DH is undoubtedly very precious. So is every relationship she develops – with the brothers, the neighbourhood ajusshis, with Jung Hee and Yu Ra. So, please live in gratitude by living well.

Spoiler

nursinghome6_zpsaswi2brn.png

Spoiler

nursinghome8_zpsjrjqilwz.png

Spoiler

nursinghome9_zpsponmfacr.png

The failure to grasp that love can be widely shared in community, as much as it can be deeply felt towards a certain person, is something which causes Yoon Hee a lot of bitterness. But for DH and JA, they are able to live well because they have learned their lessons in the countryside well – (*edit) for DH to love himself more, and for JA, to let her original love ripple out to embrace the rest of the world.

Edited by oldschooler
Sorry, I thought this is a more faithful description of what they learnt in the countryside, rather than disinterested love, because JA and DH's loves were unselfish to begin with.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Kim Young Min new drama :

Lee Ji Ah new drama :

Seems interesting, she'll be playing a mysterious lady...

Park Ho San new drama :

Remake of BBC tv series Luther (Idris Elba)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1