Quantcast

[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Finally got around to watching the last two episodes; oh boy, this has been a ride! There is so, so much for me to talk about (and rave over) but I'm too sapped of energy to consolidate my thoughts right now. Maybe I'll do it sometime later, when these post-drama celebrations are over and everyone is long gone, huh. It already hurts me to see how this thread's tag is now 'Drama 2018' instead of 'Current Drama 2018' :(

I do wonder how much the director's cut will deviate from the sixteen episodes which have been broadcast though. I feel like what we've been presented with is pretty much perfect, save for certain minor gaps which really should not matter that much.

(The 'My Mister' official video playlists have been duly updated; in particular, the official MV for the beautiful OST Part 2 has been added. It's unclear if tvN will upload new material in the long term...)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This scene still makes me tear up whenever I rewatch it. I hope IU, LSK and My Ajushhi team will win many deserving awards for this gem of a drama.          

Detailed analysis - Last scene   If Dong Hoon was still being the old Dong Hoon, he would just say "가 / Go on "   Before the time skip, every time DH and JA had to part ways, he al

The moment he learned that she killed a man...   The moment she turned around because she was sure he would be disgusted and abandon her...   The moment he said he would

@sadiesmith 

Here you go, this is a thanking message for the staff and crew of MA, and IU refers to LSK as her best partner :wub:

On another note, can we talk about how DH was the first to see JA's face after the time skip? and only after him we got to see new JA. II wonder if the director put some kind of idea behind it. Pretty much everything was symbolised in MA, so I wouldn't be surprosed if the camera choice meant something. Any thoughts about it?

Another topic I want to point out is the interrogation scene with JA and JY. We don't talk much about it. I loved how JA instantly got into a defense mode and was repulsed by the idea that someone was looking down on her feelings for DH. She is very sincere and it is yet another declaration of love from her side. This for me, is another proof that JA doesn't actually like DH with hero worship as some of you here pointed out. JA actually sees DH as a man and that's where we can say that it's not a hero worship, because such thing is not about gender. JA gets angry at the thought that her relationship with DH gets compared to JY and YH by JY. "how could you do it to a man  like Ahjussi?" - yes for JA DH is a man, who taught her to love and made her feel loved.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

When and where did IU say this about LSK?

She released a statement after the show  ended. It was posted here cca 10 pages back. I love their offscreen interaction, they seem really close! 

LOL, IU and LSK have more skinship than their onscreen characters :lol:

• Like 3
  • LOL 10

Actor Jo Jin Woong reveals that 'My Ahjussi' is his healing drama too

AKR20170807063600061_01_i.jpg
Screen%2BShot%2B2018-05-18%2Bat%2B11.50.44%2BPM.png
Screen%2BShot%2B2018-05-18%2Bat%2B11.50.38%2BPM.png

Jo Jin Woong revealed in this interview that the two dramas he uniquely kept up with was 'Live' and 'My Ahjussi'. He said, "I cried a lot yesterday too. 'Live' already ended, today is the last episode of 'My Ahjussi'". 

1. [+1073, -41] Me too.. it's a healing drama and it's a really, really good high quality drama..

2. [+332, -4] Jo Jin Woong filmed a movie with Lee Sun Kyun and also filmed one with Park Hae Joon ㅋㅋㅋ He's humble when it comes to his acting but it's awesome how when it comes to his colleague actors he praises them ㅋㅋ his character/personality is the best..

3. [+163, -7] 'My Ahjussi' is the best!!!

4. [+115, -5] 'My Ahjussi' is truly a masterpiece Lee Sun Kyun, IU's acting is the best of the best 

• Like 11

Episode 15:

DH's bruised, trembling hands when he whispered "Lee Ji An" into his phone. His huffing when he went into a panicked state. 

Jian's expression: the transition from hardened to break down in tears as she apologized ten times.

"It's okay. You can be honest. I'll go with whatever you want." Sounds like she kinda expecting DH to divorce her.

"She was trying to get me back to you. My intuition told me she liked you." My. If only I know what kind of like she was talking about.

"She was protecting you with her entire being."

"She'll hear it. I'm sure she was only hanging in there by listening to your voice." ;.;

That backstory about Kwangil make me realize that the meetings are not only about enjoying the silence; she confide a lot of things in him. "He was tormented by the time he liked me and I was tormented by the time he was being nice to me." At least from this sentence I know that Jian can totally tell the difference between like and adoration.

DH keep mumbling to his phone everywhere telling that it's alright. He looked so lost.

That dash when the janitor call him. My sister mumbles that he never looked so handsome before this.

He's totally about to cry when Jian push him away with harsh words. 

That speech...

"I shouldn't want for anything else in this life now. I cant stand seeing you in pain because you pity me, and I can't stand the fact that you're so pitiful."

He never do something about his own happiness his whole life.

"How could someone as young as you feel so sorry for an adult like me. That breaks my heart. If i can't show you that I'm happy you'll continue be in pain. And seeing you in pain pained me so much i wont be able to go on. So watch! Watch how i happily live my life! Humiliated? None of this is a big deal! I will not be broken. I will be happy!"

This is basically a roundabout way of saying that he'll never be happy without her; SHE IS HIS REASON TO STAND UP AND FIGHTING FOR HIS HAPPINESS! that 'none of this is a big deal' touched me on a personal level.

"I liked all the sounds you made mister. All your words, thoughts, footsteps, all of it. It felt as if I saw what a human being should be like for the first time." This is platonic huh? HUH?

Some posts here said that the way Jian being treated like a lost child in episode 15 is kinda distasteful. Well, as a girl who never had a respectable, decent adult who shows her the correct way of adulting, in a way she's still a 'child'.

It's interesting that DH never ask or mention anything about her to stop with that wiretapping until she told him she'll uninstall the program.

The chairman though, when he told DH to ask Jian for a lunch with him. A wise, rich old man is the best thing ever.

"i'm 30,000 years old." This is so funny considering her life so far. All that pain these whole 15 episodes and before that wrinkled her old lol.

"Let's meet again in next life. Just thinking about it makes me so happy." One more person for Jian to defend with her entire being.

(More on 16 next)

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I was inclined to a bittersweet ending the first time I watched the finale... but after reading all your posts it gave me new hope... Hope that they would reconnect and fulfill their fated encounter... 

Ji An and Dong Hoon, please be happy! I truly feel like they’re real people and not some fictional characters... that’s how well written those character were.

Everyone in this drama had its own place, even minor characters were so well written and played. I’ve never watched any cast that was excellent as the whole like the cast of MA. There was no weak performance. The most spectacular thing was that I felt like I watched real people and not actors in their roles like in other dramas. LSK and IU have been praised many times but I’d like to thank the rest of the cast too - especially Kim Young Min aka a sleazy CEO. He was so perfect in his role and I loved to hate him there! 

Thank you for healing a part of me  :bawling: When will I be able to find a drama like this?

A359_CF8_D-_A64_B-43_D3-_AEB3-_D0_B01_D6

A66806_E6-_B0_FB-4_CBE-_BDF7-78166_D5_E3

• Like 18
22 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

Finally subtitles are up in Dramafever. Impressive episode 16. The show left some things subject to interpretation which is fine because some relationships don't even need explaining. 

1) DH's marriage - the show didn't openly address the official demise of it but in my opinion it's clearly over but they remained friends and still do co-parenting. The reason I say that it is not normal for a wife to leave her husband indefinitely unless for desperate financial reasons but this couple is very successful and well off. DH's mother made perfect sense how come YH is staying that long in the US and he came up with an excuse that she is looking for a school. The woman is already a successful lawyer in Korea, so why migrate to the States? Because YH also wants her new beginning. The beer that she was asking him to buy was I assumed their "final talk" before DH dropped her off the airport. And I agree with @chickfactor it is like a way for them to divorce quietly citing as irreconcilable difference with them living apart. 

You're absolutely right. At first I thought reason why YH finally answered DH's question "Do you want me to buy something?" is because she wants to mend their marriage because of what JA said.

But I think looking back at episode 11, that's definitely not the case. Remember when YH tried to come clear about her affair with DH but the second she said "Yeobo.." DH fled to watch the TV? There were 2 beers on the table.

q4T4tN.png

This small detail speaks volumes about what really happened that night. Her asking DH to buy beer is definitely not a coincidence. YH must've tried to talk to DH about her wish to leave the country to take care of their son.. and part ways.

It kinda upsets me the translation for DH and his friend's dialogues at the end is off. Majority of international viewers who watch the drama without looking at the comments will probably misinterpret DH's marriage status. For DH to leave and move on from his marriage is his redemption from his past self, that's why it takes the most priority. The mistranslation could possibly send the wrong message.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

@aisling Lemme give you more reasons to hope. 

If you listen carefully, the way of which he said her name and asked if she's found comfort in her life, is very, very different to the way he'd been talking to her before. 

It was intimate, carefully worded, very respectful, which is why to me, it sounded like he was asking for permission/ getting the greenlight to start something. 

Aiyaiyai my heart! 

• Like 15
2 hours ago, aisling said:

She released a statement after the show  ended. It was posted here cca 10 pages back. I love their offscreen interaction, they seem really close! 

LOL, IU and LSK have more skinship than their onscreen characters :lol:

I know right, hahha.. DH can learn a lot from Lee Sun Kyun :lol:

• LOL 12
25 minutes ago, ccl82 said:

@aisling Lemme give you more reasons to hope. 

If you listen carefully, the way of which he said her name and asked if she's found comfort in her life, is very, very different to the way he'd been talking to her before. 

It was intimate, carefully worded, very respectful, which is why to me, it sounded like he was asking for permission/ getting the greenlight to start something. 

Aiyaiyai my heart! 

In addition, i think the hand holding/handshake seen is very intimate too. I think the reason why people are not getting the full picture, is because they were not showing the full picture. Just imagine, if you were walking past two people on street, holding hands like they were, looking and smiling into each others eyes like they were, what would you think? I would instantly think love connection.

Not father sending his daughter off to work..:tongue:

• Like 8
  • LOL 12
1 hour ago, blueyyy said:

'll ever be able to experience something like this again.

Same here ...The drama has left a void that's unexplainable.I miss it so much.

I was wondering about the ending...I edited it to sate my delulu mind.I replaced the mind conversation that they were having i.e have you found comfort? to..

DH:-Let us meet again Ji an.Let us be happy... together.grinning widely)

Jian:- Let us meet again ahjussi.This time it's forever. (Smiles softy and walks with a strong determination)

:wub:

I bid good bye yesterday, but here Iam posting...I could'nt resist..

• Like 17
6 hours ago, kappy said:

Ah, but remember?  She is 30,000 years old - a good 29,960+ his senior.  Because of him, she has stopped aging at such an alarming rate. 

But seriously, because of her very difficult life, she's been an adult a lot longer than those her age, so it could be said that they're about even.

@kappy  Oh.  So apparently, this is a fantasy drama, and Lee Ji An is much older than Kim Shin, the Goblin.  Hahahaha!!!  :D

2 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

You're absolutely right. At first I thought reason why YH finally answered DH's question "Do you want me to buy something?" is because she wants to mend their marriage because of what JA said.

But I think looking back at episode 11, that's definitely not the case. Remember when YH tried to come clear about her affair with DH but the second she said "Yeobo.." DH fled to watch the TV? There were 2 beers on the table.

This small detail speaks volumes about what really happened that night. Her asking DH to buy beer is definitely not a coincidence. YH must've tried to talk to DH about her wish to leave the country to take care of their son.. and part ways.

It kinda upsets me the translation for DH and his friend's dialogues at the end is off. Majority of international viewers who watch the drama without looking at the comments will probably misinterpret DH's marriage status. For DH to leave and move on from his marriage is his redemption from his past self, that's why it takes the most priority. The mistranslation could possibly send the wrong message.

@mushroomsoupie  I know, right?  Makes me wonder how much we've missed throughout the drama because of some mis-translation.  That's why I used to download several versions of English subtitles for past KDramas I've watched because there are some translations that are better in terms of capturing the nuance of the dialogues.  They also translate whatever text is shown onscreen.    But it seems so hard to find srt files nowadays.  Would anyone know any other site that gives another translation of this drama?

• Like 12
3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

While I don't really disagree with much of your diagnosis (except for the bit about DH's mother and YH because there's not much evidence to support it), I think the point of contention is with how the drama chooses to play out these relationships or not to, as the case may be. It occurs to me while reading your post that while the leads get to move on with their lives, the show chooses not to resolve all relationships in a neat and tidy fashion because there's an underlying ideological thread woven all throughout.

It's clear, I think that the act of DH putting his extended family ahead of his immediate one became a major cause of the marriage break down. The adultery was arguably more a symptom than the direct cause but it exacerbated the gulf that already existed and exposed two contrasting worldviews. DH's personality and character is such that he won't make that necessary break with his siblings that YH wants him to so while the marriage might not be irredeemable in another context, it is "beyond repair" in this precisely because DH is emotionally tethered to his family and unwilling to make that break. Essentially he's a home body for better or for worse.

Ultimately the clash of world views makes the marriage an impossibility. That's shown in not just her expectations of what the marriage should be but how they prioritise immediate and extended family respectively. It is interesting that YH takes off to the US -- western, individualistic society -- to start afresh and regain her freedom. She is the one who chooses to make that break definitively to hold on to her own priorities. He remains largely within the confines of his old haunts. She is now "the child's mum" not the "wife". Since neither of them can compromise on how family should be defined and played out, the marriage cannot be sustained. DH's worldview remains intact, changing only the terms by which he lives out that world view.

I don't agree however that the society in which they live won't accept a reconciliation. I think a conservative society is more inclined to protect the marriage institution at all costs rather than less so. What they are more likely to object to is the reduced contact with the extended family which traditionally had a much greater say over the terms that constituted the marriage of the younger generation. My own view from the little that I saw is that DH's mother is quite unique in these sorts of K family dynamic in that she doesn't really interfere in her children's lives. She nags and scolds but she never really tells them what to do. That's why the other brothers languish at home in the early part of the show aimlessly. She worries about DH but that's because he keeps his emotions to himself in a way she finds disturbing. I think she has an inkling that his marriage is not a happy one which is why she is grateful that YH shows up to the celebratory drinks at Jung Hee's.

At the end of the day, dysfunctional or not, DH makes his choice to embark on a particular trajectory. He stays close to home but that's now his choice on his terms. He is the CEO of his own firm and no longer working for someone else subject to the whims of others. I suppose like Dorothy he would echo that "there's no place like home", yet now not beholden to the demands of everyone but the cry of his own heart. I imagine that's why he cries when he's all alone in his apartment after YH leaves because he can finally grieve freely for the old life before moving on.

@40somethingahjumma  said "At the end of the day, dysfunctional or not, DH makes his choice to embark on a particular trajectory. He stays close to home but that's now his choice on his terms. He is the CEO of his own firm and no longer working for someone else subject to the whims of others. I suppose like Dorothy he would echo that "there's no place like home", yet now not beholden to the demands of everyone but the cry of his own heart. I imagine that's why he cries when he's all alone in his apartment after YH leaves because he can finally grieve freely for the old life before moving on...."

and in his new life, he will ride the train #4 to his apartment, in his same neighborhood, to his same haunt!

• Like 10
5 hours ago, Sharine Phinisia said:

Episode 15:

DH's bruised, trembling hands when he whispered "Lee Ji An" into his phone. His huffing when he went into a panicked state. 

Jian's expression: the transition from hardened to break down in tears as she apologized ten times.

"It's okay. You can be honest. I'll go with whatever you want." Sounds like she kinda expecting DH to divorce her.

"She was trying to get me back to you. My intuition told me she liked you." My. If only I know what kind of like she was talking about.

"She was protecting you with her entire being."

"She'll hear it. I'm sure she was only hanging in there by listening to your voice." ;.;

That backstory about Kwangil make me realize that the meetings are not only about enjoying the silence; she confide a lot of things in him. "He was tormented by the time he liked me and I was tormented by the time he was being nice to me." At least from this sentence I know that Jian can totally tell the difference between like and adoration.

DH keep mumbling to his phone everywhere telling that it's alright. He looked so lost.

That dash when the janitor call him. My sister mumbles that he never looked so handsome before this.

He's totally about to cry when Jian push him away with harsh words. 

That speech...

"I shouldn't want for anything else in this life now. I cant stand seeing you in pain because you pity me, and I can't stand the fact that you're so pitiful."

He never do something about his own happiness his whole life.

"How could someone as young as you feel so sorry for an adult like me. That breaks my heart. If i can't show you that I'm happy you'll continue be in pain. And seeing you in pain pained me so much i wont be able to go on. So watch! Watch how i happily live my life! Humiliated? None of this is a big deal! I will not be broken. I will be happy!"

This is basically a roundabout way of saying that he'll never be happy without her; SHE IS HIS REASON TO STAND UP AND FIGHTING FOR HIS HAPPINESS! that 'none of this is a big deal' touched me on a personal level.

"I liked all the sounds you made mister. All your words, thoughts, footsteps, all of it. It felt as if I saw what a human being should be like for the first time." This is platonic huh? HUH?

Some posts here said that the way Jian being treated like a lost child in episode 15 is kinda distasteful. Well, as a girl who never had a respectable, decent adult who shows her the correct way of adulting, in a way she's still a 'child'.

It's interesting that DH never ask or mention anything about her to stop with that wiretapping until she told him she'll uninstall the program.

The chairman though, when he told DH to ask Jian for a lunch with him. A wise, rich old man is the best thing ever.

"i'm 30,000 years old." This is so funny considering her life so far. All that pain these whole 15 episodes and before that wrinkled her old lol.

"Let's meet again in next life. Just thinking about it makes me so happy." One more person for Jian to defend with her entire being.

(More on 16 next)

@Sharine Phinisia said: 'The chairman though, when he told DH to ask Jian for a lunch with him. A wise, rich old man is the best thing ever. "

The NEXT BEST thing to having the wise, kind, powerful chairman as your grand-father, is to have him as a protector who overlook your life and career!   The chairman is very similar to Ajusshi (which is why he value him)…  Too bad they could not be related!   But then the story would turn into a daytime Makjang soap opera!

Perhaps, when the GANG said, after Engineer Dong-hoon said that Ji-an got him promoted to Directorship,  that Ji-an is the  grand-daughter of the Chairman and got all excited.... that this is the writer's satire on Makjang genre!..... My Mister is not a Makjang!!!!  hahaha

• Like 2
  • LOL 8
19 hours ago, ccl82 said:

-- Subtitle sabotage! GAH. I watched #16 for the third time on tvN with local subs, and that cafe conversation about YH and JS made more sense, in contrast to the subs on Daebak (using Dramafever's). Also, I cannot recall who mentioned it here, but thank you for pointing out the significance of this conversation topic. JA needed to (over)hear where  DH's at with his marriage.

-- Ji-an's lingering 'sadness'...  I think this is just down to Ji-an's personality. Even when she was happy, she didn't exactly turn into Little Ms Sunshine. After all, she's a coffee addict, hehe. 

-- While DH's 'declaration of love' as someone put it, is clear to us shippers (or at least some of us), I think it just wasn't the case for JA. Hence: "Why are you being so nice to me?", hence: "A person who can be happy without me has no appeal at all", etc. As she's a straight-to-the-point kinda woman, she can't read between the lines. Nevermind, we know what will definitely happen a year later (we moved from spring to summer, autumn, winter and back to spring). Ahjussi has proven what he's capable of :wink: 

-- This will come off as shallow, but might I suggest that the next time any writer wanna be this ambiguous, that they NOT pick an ahjussi who looks and sounds delicious? 

-- KH really knows DH best. I think the whole thing about the movie was his way of telling DH: if the person who helps you breathe isn't by your side during this difficult time, don't worry; you yourself will have the will to come out strong and survive (this separation). DH moving from the sink (shed a tear) to the loo (some sniffs) to the living room (full breakdown) also made me think of the time KH said it isn't about where to cry/ don't you have a place to cry.

-- DH asking his mom "do you think of me as pitiful too"... :cry:

-- JA evolving from "Buy me food" to "I'll buy you a meal" is just...  :heart:

-- Also, I love how loyal GI's loan shark friend is. He could easily just sell everything to JY, but he didn't, no matter how frustrating it was for him to let go of so much money! GI's last scene made my heart bleed. 

And you know what they say... third time's the charm! 

-- Can we give a shout-out to this guy for consistently saying what we're all thinking?!!

@ccl82  tVN has english subs?  Could you PM me the link?  :)

18 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I have been refreshing Dramabeans waiting for the last two recaps.  I am sure I won't be "disappointed" by the reactions, IYKWIM. :lol:

@sadiesmith  I'm sure a lot of the folks at DB will say that the ending clearly showed that Dong Hoon only saw Ji An as someone he cared for, very much like a teacher or a mentor.  And now that he's seen her bright and happy, showing signs of having fully recovered from her traumatic past, he feels happy that he's helped her get to where she is now and that he will always be grateful for how she made him realize how much of life he was missing.  And clearly he and Yoon Hee are on the path to reconciliation although she's spending some time in the States with their son.  After all, he still had photos of her with Ji Seok on his desk.  Right?  :D

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • LOL 6
  • Go Seung Ji changed the title to [Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards