Quantcast

[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

22 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

He touched her arm/sleeve in episode 1 or 2 when he tried to get her to look at him.

There is also that time she kicked him on the train.

Every touch drives us nuts. :tongue:

• Like 2
  • LOL 17
  • Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This scene still makes me tear up whenever I rewatch it. I hope IU, LSK and My Ajushhi team will win many deserving awards for this gem of a drama.          

Detailed analysis - Last scene   If Dong Hoon was still being the old Dong Hoon, he would just say "가 / Go on "   Before the time skip, every time DH and JA had to part ways, he al

The moment he learned that she killed a man...   The moment she turned around because she was sure he would be disgusted and abandon her...   The moment he said he would

4 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Sorry, I am trying to not post so many times, but this post had me LOL'ing soooo hard.  Hahahahaha..... How deprived are we that even a kick to the foot counts as touching?  hahaha...  What has this show turned us into?  

• Like 1
  • LOL 14
54 minutes ago, aisling said:

Quick questions! Have JA and DH ever touched each other except for that forced kiss and head hit? Is it possible that they never even touched?

I'm sure they touched each other – a lot – during the subway ride when Ji An installed the wiretap in Dong Hoon's handphone.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
On 5/14/2018 at 2:05 AM, ninaanin said:

My own ideal ending will be a "Happy Open Ending": they decide to stay together as a couple, but knowing that this decision brings many challenges that they will have to deal with. So their future is a future together, but where happiness and problems to be overcome will walk side by side. 

My Name is Kim Sam Soon ending :heart: 

On 5/14/2018 at 3:15 PM, timidjock0819 said:

About the pics being posted with Jian looking like a grown up woman with heels and sexy long hair in a possible time lapse.

Alright.. I want to put this out there.. Have you guys even thought about what that chemistry is going to be like between LJE and LSG when they will be all dressed up? 

I mean the sexual tension is already hard to ignore with Jian's tomboyish get-up and DH's weary suit. They are already beautiful in those night walks.  I am kind of curious how are they going to look on screen with Jian looking feminine on heels with our handsome Ajusshi. Imagine if they will also hug looking like that? or even a possible kiss?  I am just curious that's all.. :tongue:

I prefer the pairing of suits + corduroy shirt, jeans & worn out kicks. So much sexier. 

On 5/15/2018 at 1:11 AM, anipanch said:

I'm rewatching the episodes and it's really amazing rediscovering so many things which I've failed to notice from the start. Especially beautiful is the character growth, it's a big joy watching DH warming up to JA. Truly astonishing how every little detail is well thought out by the writer, she is truly on another level. Just finished watching ep. 7 and it's where DH doesn't hesitate to buy food for JA. He doesn't look bothered, more than that we can say that he looks happy for the first time after JA asks to buy food for her. And I don't know if anyone has noticed, but JA always poured soju herself and the first time they went to eat food she didn't let DH pour the drink. If some of you don't know, it's actually a bad tone to pour soju yourself, someone has to do it for you. In episode 7 JA let DH pour the drink. And one more thing I noticed was how DH on the first and second time sat there awkwardly, not eating anything. This time he was fully comfortable around JA, eating freely. 

Actually, he ate during their very first dinner. I remember, coz I really wanted to eat kimchi after watching that scene. 

22 hours ago, aisling said:

I saw several LSK’s works before My Ahjussi and while I’ve always found him quite charismatic and talented I was just a casual fan. But MA has really intensified my crush on him. Now not only I respect him immensely as an actor but I find him extremely attractive and handsome. He’s one fine man through and through.

I first saw him in My Mother The Mermaid. I remember thinking WHO DIS FINE LAD? 

I didn't fall in love with MA right off the bat. It was only on my 3rd try (of watching the first episode) that I become obsessed, and that's all because of this shot. Now, I find myself in Soompi-land. 

pdh_zpsixhpzcue.jpg

1 hour ago, aisling said:

Quick questions! Have JA and DH ever touched each other except for that forced kiss and head hit? Is it possible that they never even touched?

Why yes, they touched each other's heart. Heheh. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 11
1 hour ago, aisling said:

Also did JA told DH about the court’s verdict offscreen? Or how did he know so many details about her case?

This is why i think the ending will be a timeskip and Ji an and DH will meet and she will ask for a hug as hes about to hug her or he will just hug her without her saying anything.

• Like 6

I just remembered something.

You guys know that original character relationship chart (which had a red line connecting Ji An and Dong Hoon). I remembered the lines connecting Ji An/Dong Hoon and Yoon Hee/Joon Young. But I forgot about Yura/Ki Hoon. All three lines were removed in the subsequent chart.

Spoiler

My-Mister-character-list.jpg

Interesting.

IMG_20180417_140049.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Sorry, I am trying to not post so many times, but this post had me LOL'ing soooo hard.  Hahahahaha..... How deprived are we that even a kick to the foot counts as touching?  hahaha...  What has this show turned us into?  

Delulu shippers that’s what! :tongue: 

• Like 2
  • LOL 7
5 minutes ago, arctichare said:

I just remembered something.

You guys know that original character relationship chart (which had a red line connecting Ji An and Dong Hoon). I remembered the lines connecting Ji An/Dong Hoon and Yoon Hee/Joon Young. But I forgot about Yura/Ki Hoon. All three lines were removed in the subsequent chart.

Reveal hidden contents

My-Mister-character-list.jpg

Because this is not a romance drama, damn it!  That's why. <_<

I remember seeing all the red lines removed and being extremely pleased about the equal treatment.  I can't explain this better other than to say that to me it felt like the production team was giving the skeptics the middle finger.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, ccl82 said:

I didn't fall in love with MA right off the bat. It was only on my 3rd try (of watching the first episode) that I become obsessed, and that's all because of this shot. Now, I find myself in Soompi-land. 

I was excited about MA since last year when it was announced. I like both LSK and IU and was rooting for them as a romantic couple even before the first episode. I was quite disappointed when the creators decided to address a “controversy” and blow my ship. Even now I have no idea how they’re going to end it. If DH doesn’t confess his feelings and therefore people keep saying there’s no romantic relationship between them, I’ll be really heartbroken.

And this shot of LSK... hmmm... what can I say? Makes my knees weak,

my heart skip a beat... and another body reaction that’s not safe to say aloud :glasses:

• Like 5
  • LOL 10

Okay, I'm going to do a few more of these character description translations, mostly because I don't fully understand them:

ì¥íì¥ (75ì¸) / ì êµ¬

장회장 (75세) / 신구

삼안E&C의 창립자.

말단 직원의 가정사까지 챙기는 친근한 동네 할아버지처럼 보이나 속을 알 수 없는 인물. 삼안을 키우기 위해 왕전무를 끌어들였다. 그랬더니 왕전무가 자기 회사인양 굴기에 도준영을 대표이사로 내세웠다. 5년 동안 이어진 팽팽한 둘의 균형을 이제는 깨야할 때. 한편, 박동훈을 좋은 감정으로 지켜보고 있다.

Chairman Jang (Age 75) / Shin Goo

Founder of SamAn E&C

He seems like a friendly neighborhood grandpa who looks after even the home life of the lowest-level employees, but you cannot know what he is thinking. He recruited Exec. Director Wang in order to help SamAn grow. Then Exec. Director Wang brought forth Do Joon-Young as CEO so that the company's recovery can rise. Time has come for the balance between the two that has been stretched taut for five years to break. On the other hand, he has an eye on Park Dong-Hoon with favorable feelings.

(I'm confused by what the underlined stuff means. I don't think I translated that right. Someone who reads Korean, please help.)

--

ìì ë¬´ (75ì¸) / ì êµ­í

왕전무 (75세) / 전국환

뼛속까지 진골인 남자.

인맥이 넓어 삼안 E&C가 지금의 위치에 이르는데 크게 기여했다. 차후 회사의 주인이 될 수 있을거라 믿었기에 동갑인 장회장에게도 꼬박꼬박 존댓말 해왔는데. 갑작스레 도준영이 대표이사로 등장했다. 괘씸한!

Exec. Director Wang (Age 75) / Jeon Kuk-Hwan

A "jin-gol" down to his bones.

He has a lot of connections, so he made great contributions to bringing SamAn E&C to where it is now. He believed that he will become the company's owner in the future so he always spoke formally to Chairman Jang even though they were the same age. But Do Joon-Young suddenly became the CEO. The insolence!

(I don't know what "jin-gol" means.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
13 hours ago, popai5 said:

When our resident professional screenwriters @africandramalover and @justamom are hopeful for an ending where JA and/or DH don't die then that is +1.

Lol!! Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am a long way from being a full fledged screenwriter, but watching brilliant shows like this gives me the motivation to keep writing!

On 14/05/2018 at 3:14 PM, akhenaten said:

@africandramalover

I think I need that therapy too.  I'm sure I'm gonna go through another massive withdrawal phase when this is done. 

My plan is to avoid Soompi from Wednesday 4pm EAT (10pm Korea time) till Friday. I will watch both episodes back to back because I am not going to torture myself with waiting for episode 16 after watching episode 15. Then I will log on here and find acres of brilliant analyses and comments, catch up as I process my thoughts, and maybe give my verdict.

Depending on how this show is wrapped up, I will either celebrate or blow a gasket. I think that it will be celebration all round tho.

On 14/05/2018 at 4:12 PM, justamom said:

@africandramalover I need a WhatsApp chat group for Wednesday night too! Does anyone want to join?? :wub:

Hmmm. I will restrain myself till Friday morning because I cannot bring myself to watch the last episodes with a break in between. I am so tense right now! The anticipation has formed a very hot lump at the top of my stomach.

On 14/05/2018 at 9:31 PM, justamom said:

@africandramalover u taking notes for your screenplay? I am for mine. I for one am thinking I need to slow my story down, more daily interactions, more eating and drinking...

I intend to rewatch the show in one sitting after we are done, then I watch again just to take notes. Right now I just need everything to wash over me. This script has already opened my mind to a few ideas I should broaden in my script, little things I can use for greater emotional effect.

4 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@africandramalover I have been giving more thoughts to screenwriters because of you.  I also wonder how she was able to create this world populated by characters that really feel like they are the "stars of their own shows."  This drama really "reads" like a novel.

She has done something amazing with this show. Every writer wants to impact the viewer or reader deeply when they write. They want the story to remain in the hearts and minds of those receiving it. The satisfaction that someone was deeply touched by your story is the highest form of payment that you can receive as a writer. That's the whole point of writing.

As we say here, I want what she's smoking!! Writing is not easy. To get to the level where you write such a story takes hard work and a bit of time. Very few are talented enough to hit the right notes on the first try, but for most people, time, a few screenplays and countless rewrites is what it takes to get there.

Writing is not easy. I must reiterate. To take a basic skeleton "poor girl rich man" story and add such flesh to it, mould it and sculpt it and make it into a "living being" like My Mister is really genius level writing. This is where we all aim to be. To get to the core of the characters and tell a story that changes viewers irrevocably. This is my dream as a writer. 

I am in awe of her. Seriously. 

I was trying to find a video of their script reading session, but unfortunately, due to having to replace Oh Dal Su, all clips have been removed completely.  Writer Park Hae Young was in the reading meeting and even said a few words.  She actually looked younger in person than she is in this picture:

Thanks for the pic :D It's good to put a face to the name.

She has hit all the notes in this screenplay. Tension, High stakes, pacing that doesn't fizzle out, compelling characters, compelling secondary characters, dialogue... If this was an exam, she's scored an A* (star), but let's wait for the finale, as a certain show earlier this year taught me.... :D 

I don't know about you guys, but I am seriously tense. As in, stomach in knots tense. There's a mixture of dread and anticipation inside me like you wouldn't believe! Will she pay off what she has written, or will stuff hit the fan? I say she will pay it off. However, the wait is still killing me.

I think the tension that has built up is mostly because I want the catharsis that a well written story should give. That's why tension and high stakes are built into a story, so that the pay off at the end gives an emotional release to the viewer. The resolution and emotional rush at the end of a story is the feeling we go to cinemas or watch television for.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, justamom said:

The song I have on repeat is Ordinary Day. It reminds me of the movie title One Fine Day. Super melancholic but beautiful.

@justamom Was it the Loveholic song? I was so obsessed with that song. They dominated most kdrama OSTs in the beginning.

@arctichare @akhenaten Thank you for watching and liking my FMVs. Depending on the ending, I may consider making an updated FMV for Sondia's song.

@africandramalover I think I will follow suit and avoid Soompi from tonight until Friday.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, aisling said:

Thanks CEO Do Joon Young for being a captain of our ship! :tongue:

OMG, why does he look so cute in these screencaps? :D

I mean, his character is a little poop-head for sure. And I screamed "Burn for this!" when he slapped Ji-An. (ugh, that still makes me mad)

But now that he is on the verge of ruin, he's sort of ... adorable?

Someone clever in here called him "the penguin." Like Penguin in Batman, I'm guessing?

Now I think of him as this penguin:

Image result for pororo avatar

• Like 2
  • LOL 12

Hiiiiiiiiiii! Okay so talk about being late to the party..or to be more exact, to the Soompi MA party. :( I should have come sooner!

I absolutely love love love this drama though. It's near perfection in my eyes.

I don't have time right now to read all the posts in this thread but I've read the past 40ish pages. Soompi always has such a wide range of comments and POVs. It's truly a delight to read.

@40somethingahjumma This comment of yours (in the spoiler) is so on point with what I think. The notion that their relationship is that of a father-daughter/mentor-mentee is one that never crossed my mind as I tried to understand the nature of their relationship. Jian is extremely mature and in many ways seems to have a more clear understanding of the 'real world' than DH. Or at least knows how to maneuver her way through society so she can keep going forward with more ease than DH. He sees the hardships of life but isn't as straightforward as Jian is when it comes to tackling situations/conflicts.

Spoiler
On 5/13/2018 at 7:42 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

I can't speak for others here :D but I never said that their love was transcendent but that the bond between them transcended compartmentalization. :wink: It may sound like hair splitting but to me there's a significant difference. A transcendent love would be related to the metaphysical... like God's love for humanity that can't be categorized as eros, phileo and storge. When I say that their relationship transcends compartmentalization, it means that I perceive elements of all three (as well as agape) at play between DH and J'A as their relationship evolves. 

I've been reading comments here and elsewhere with interest and while I respect the diversity of views expressed, I can't help thinking that if Ji'An weren't 21 but 31, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. There's no doubt that the show is blurring the lines of a  modern taboo. It is a modern taboo because even seventy, a hundred years ago, this would not have been an issue. Men took wives that were much younger than themselves not necessarily because there was a meeting of minds :wink: but because they had to "fulfil their duties to the ancestors" and produce progeny to continue the family line. While the age gap could be quite extensive, marriage was perceived differently and the division of labour between the sexes in a household was clearly defined. These days when people generally "marry for love", it's hard for people to conceive that a couple with a large age gap could have much in common and their relationship would be tainted with "incest-like" connotations or at best, an unequal relationship dynamic because of varying degrees of life experiences.

Looking at My Mister more specifically, I've never once seen any kind of unequal dynamic existing between the leads because Ji'An has so much street smarts. In all my years of watching K dramas, I've seldom seen a young woman who has the kind of intelligence and maturity that she has. She is wise beyond her years. Far more savvy than most of the older adults in this show. She displays a lot more discernment than YH apparently who for some reason couldn't see through JY for what he really is. Her suffering at an early age and the struggle to survive has made her a lot more aware of the darker side of human existence a lot more quickly. She's had to grow up really fast to navigate the world of adults as best as she can. There's nothing naive about her that requires any kind of parenting of the traditional kind. I don't see DH parenting her in any sense. If anything, he respects her independence and individuality in true inclusive fashion. He may act like her supervisor at times but he doesn't even remotely pretend to act like her father. As for her not knowing her own mind or whether she's in love... the nicest thing I can say is... we are watching different shows. J'A is very self-aware, quick-witted and perceptive. I think she hit the nail on the head when she told Gwang Il that she know that he likes her.

Contrast that with Meari from A Gentleman's Dignity who's a petulant, whining woman-child who is in love with her brother's forty-something year old friend. THAT was a mismatch. 

What Dong Hoon's care for her has done is to lift the cloud of cynicism that has followed her everywhere. She's brightening up and feeling in ways she hasn't before.

Of course there's also the matter of DH being a married man. Even if we think that that marriage is irreparably broken, he is technically still married. As far as most of the world is concerned, he is. And that's another taboo area. For me, he is a man in limbo who hasn't really come to grips with his own emotions regarding his wife's adultery. He is avoiding dealing with it in the interim as he deals with the more urgent work-related issues and not wanting to disappoint his mother.

I'm of the opinion that the show is being deliberately coy. The fact that so many of us see an adult romance at work between a man and woman in J'A and DH while others are thinking "platonic", "transcendent", "ships passing in the night" suggests to me that on some level that the drama is trying to circumvent certain social norms without being overt about it. It's like the good old days of Hollywood when the censorship laws were much stricter and when people tended to keep their clothes on, the love scenes were done in such a way as to leave things to the imagination.

I don't know what the ending holds for the leads. But 2 episodes is a long time and a lot can happen. I tend not to agree with the DB analysis that this is a flash in the pan relationship meant to serve a particular purpose in a moment in time.

However, it all depends if those involved in bringing this story to us has the courage of their convictions to take this show to its logical conclusion.  

Amen! 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, chickfactor said:

There is an ahjussi

His experience is not admirable, and his abilities are not enviable

He just lives by "going with the flow"

But inside him, there is the innocence of a nine-year-old boy

And a sharpness that has not been dulled by habit

And an instinctual warmth and simple honesty towards humanity

An ahjussi who will show us the "charm of humanity" that we have forgotten

Seeing him will feel as if you have washed your eyes and ears with clear water

A few more random thoughts I want to throw it out there before the big finish:

1. The production was really bold in saying what kind of impact the ajusshi character will have on viewers.  They were lucky that they picked an actor who was able to flesh out the characterizations so perfectly.  Had the character come across a little too smug, a little too weak, or a little too whatever, it would not have worked.  I can imagine it could even turn people off.  LSK is perfectly cast exactly because of his everyday-man-ness.  

2. Much has been said about Dong Hoon's reaction to the wiretapping reveal, but as far as I can recall, we have not had much mention about how Ji An will react when she realized that she had been found out.  She had no idea how he found out and from the way he called her name, she couldn't tell whether he was reaching out to her in anger or in compassion.  Her first instinct might be to think that he was feeling betrayed, so he probably sounded stern to her.  Would she call him like he asked or would she try to hide even more?

3. Big age gap?  What age gap?  Has Dong Hoon gotten younger looking by the episode?  @40somethingahjummawas right, LSK plays him with such boyish charm.

Image result for my mister episode 13 image

• Like 14
50 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

A few more random thoughts I want to throw it out there before the big finish:

1. The production was really bold in saying what kind of impact the ajusshi character will have on viewers.  They were lucky that they picked an actor who was able to flesh out the characterizations so perfectly.  Had the character come across a little too smug, a little too weak, or a little too whatever, it would not have worked.  I can imagine it could even turn people off.  LSK is perfectly cast exactly because of his everyday-man-ness.  

2. Much has been said about Dong Hoon's reaction to the wiretapping reveal, but as far as I can recall, we have not had much mention about how Ji An will react when she realizes that she has been found out.  She has no idea how he found out and from the way he called her name, she can't tell whether he was reaching out to her in anger or in compassion.  Her first instinct might be to think that he is feeling betrayed, so he probably sounded stern to her.  Would she call him like he asked or would she try to hide even more?

3. Big age gap?  What age gap?  Has Dong Hoon gotten younger looking by the episode?  @40somethingahjummawas right, LSK plays him with such boyish charm.

@sadiesmith  on 1 and 3, agree with you wholeheartedly.  A lesser-skilled actor would have turned Dong Hoon into a caricature, a man who walks around like he has chronic constipation instead of a deep-seated loneliness.  And the gap in age, background and experiences would have been very much evident.  Of course, the chemistry of LSK and LJE was really critical in making everything work. Without it, it would have been difficult to make everyone believe and become invested in a love blossoming between them. The director really hit gold when they were cast together.  I wonder if he already saw that chemistry early on.

on no. 2, I think I re-watched that scene countless times and I’m beginning to understand why many found it very romantic and thought he was calling her name with longing while some, like myself, saw betrayal and hurt, and still others saw a determination to get to the truth.  I think what Dong Hoon felt in that moment inside the theater was all of the above.  And LSK brilliantly acted out all those conflicting feelings in that one moment.  So i wouldn’t be surprised if Ji An will be at a loss as to how to react. :)

• Like 12
5 hours ago, chickfactor said:

@chickfactor,:lol: my treasure scene:wub:

How about the promixty swoon touch all Soompier get"drowsy" imagination by  the gentleman action when he protect her in the crowdy passenger, there'er sexsual tension stain by crime :)( the writer idea always ahead by our imagination)

or this ones(warning!)

IMG_20180508_153432.jpg

Have idea what if  this scene might be the ending scene in the different angle??

The start kiss is the long longing moment to get ending sweet kiss.

IMG_20180508_153420.jpg

We allowed to dream right??

Spoiler

wish some kindheart here share live stream link for tonight show.please

Wednesday here" you" are 

#happyJieunday

#myahjussidayonefinal

• Like 14

Happy episode 15 guys! May all you MA dreams come true. :tongue:

Applause to all those holding out to watch both episode 15 and 16 together... I could never do that..you all have some strong will power. I generally read the live recap, watch the un subbed clips, then watch the subbed episode when I get home.

• Like 14
  • Go Seung Ji changed the title to [Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards