[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

3 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

@Wotad chingu just a little bit of history in the backpages. @noor1 and I we respond to each other's post but barely agree on anything:lol:. I'm a shipper delulu and @noor1 is more of an objective poster that's how we typically challenge each other. It's what keeps the discussion interesting and fun in this space. Yah! @noor1 I think I'm going to miss our craziness after Thursday:D next week.

Agree, this tread need sane person to balance the shipper onesB)(in my pov, is not delulu thou, their love is REAL just overshadowing by so many prejudice that's way the writernim/Pdnim, need tell the story in smooth and delicate tade, gezz i so worn out by their patience to blow DH-Jian  love story  by now..pfff)

but, @noor1, is the big Shipper of DH-Jian i guees, she can't stand how DH surprassed his feeling, not take any contra measure to reveal all his inner battle his passive interactive characther is annoying her lol.

In other side we have@timidjock0819, who stay shipper like me(give me five pal:lol:) while some friend post focus changes and drifted to one topic to another judgment @timidjock0819, focus remaind eternal  stand in Jian side  and forever shipper. Thumb up.

(How i love all your post my friend:wub:)

(Ps.Jung hae in is my crush boy since "taek"NL, i can't compare whom is more capture me by now lol..Jian vs JHI could you imagine..-_-)

the rare delight post mostly came from@Sadiesmith, whom in DH pov shipper side of course this team include @tiger457_stv,@berny @MsMinnieFran@wotad and another soompier whom i can't recall since your all post is remarkable .

Many there's charming and qurirky post by@chickfactor@akhenaten@justmom@anipanch@sharinePhinisia@arctichar@nearsea@mushroomsoupie@philosop@ninaanin@maddymappo and manyvothers, your post always bring another energie to fire up this tread. Salute.

Battling back and forth, sharing think of tough, pov and  delulu in post mostly in peace manner is increadible fun thou.

The disccusion is getting better an in sensible way latelly.

Many new drama will show and go, the story will changes to one and another plot, but My Ahjussi  drama even after 6 month passes by still  dominate debate and judgment and will do it so a years later, rather  what the viewers theme favour My Ahjussi deliver unfavourable subject to opend viewers eyes in so many pov un open mindeed topics, most writer / Pd percieved safe issue but  My ahjussi writer/Pd remain intact with their own cord. Congratulation to their great record and achievement.

3 more days to wrap up our journey with hongdae family and Jian new neighborhood.

Thank you for all soompier, happy sunday.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, MsMinnieFran said:

Cue dramatic/romantic sounding song.

When i something like this on my screen how am i supposed to process this? I honest to goodness have never seen friends/father and daughter/employer and employee separation portrayed in such a way in a movie or drama before. Maybe i have been just watching the wrong films.

I know right... the men in our family are not like that... sure they love you, sure they are concerned for you, but definitely not like that hahha. 

I have this Uncle that I am close too, but we kinda don't see each other that often anymore cause he live faraway. there are times when im down i would call him, sometimes i whine, sometimes i cry.  Ofcourse he would definitely not cry with me, or be all emotional, or be shakenly affected by my call.. and him being a true uncle (or they say paternal) would gently and logically advise me what to do... giving me a pep talk, gentle , sometimes stern reminder to get my act together hahha, you will hear a long litany of lectures too sometimes hahha.  But never, never like how Park Dong Hoon reacts to JiAn.

So these people who keep insisting it is plainly paternal... good lord.. that just doesn't sound right at all.

• Like 7
  • LOL 2

Here we go, again...

My Ajusshi: Episode 14 

by LollyPip

Ajusshi14-00322.jpg

Even as one part of his life is on the upswing, another part takes a definite turn for the worse for Dong-hoon. Luckily he’s got a fierce guardian angel on his side, willing to do anything to make sure nobody upsets his good fortune. But the truth is beginning to come to light, and her protectiveness could get them both into a lot more trouble if they aren’t careful.

EPISODE 14 RECAP

• Like 6
  • Confused 2
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, mujay said:

Agree, this tread need sane person to balance the shipper onesB)(in my pov, is not delulu thou, their love is REAL just overshadowing by so many prejudice that's way the writernim/Pdnim, need tell the story in smooth and delicate tade, gezz i so worn out by their patience to blow DH-Jian  love story  by now..pfff)

but, @noor1, is the big Shipper of DH-Jian i guees, she can't stand how DH surprassed his feeling, not take any contra measure to reveal all his inner battle his passive interactive characther is annoying her lol.

In other side we have@timidjock0819, who stay shipper like me(give me five pal:lol:) while some friend post focus changes and drifted to one topic to another judgment @timidjock0819, focus remaind eternal  stand in Jian side  and forever shipper. Thumb up.

(How i love all your post my friend:wub:)

(Ps.Jung hae in is my crush boy since "taek"NL, i can't compare whom is more capture me by now lol..Jian vs JHI could you imagine..-_-)

the rare delight post mostly came from@Sadiesmith, whom in DH pov shipper side of course this team include @tiger457_stv,@berny @MsMinnieFran@wotad and another soompier whom i can't recall since your all post is remarkable .

Many there's charming and qurirky post by@chickfactor@akhenaten@justmom@anipanch@sharinePhinisia@arctichar@nearsea@mushroomsoupie@philosop@ninaanin@maddymappo and manyvothers, your post always bring another energie to fire up this tread. Salute.

Battling back and forth, sharing think of tough, pov and  delulu in post mostly in peace manner is increadible fun thou.

The disccusion is getting better an in sensible way latelly.

Many new drama will show and go, the story will changes to one and another plot, but My Ahjussi  drama even after 6 month passes by still  dominate debate and judgment and will do it so a years later, rather  what the viewers theme favour My Ahjussi deliver unfavourable subject to opend viewers eyes in so many pov un open mindeed topics, most writer / Pd percieved safe issue but  My ahjussi writer/Pd remain intact with their own cord. Congratulation to their great record and achievement.

3 more days to wrap up our journey with hongdae family and Jian new neighborhood.

Thank you for all soompier, happy sunday.

@mujay said after 6 months or even 1 year, My Ajusshi will still dominate discussion, since it brings viewers theme which is  unfavorable, subjects to open viewers eyes, open mind topics, etc....  this reader agrees with you whole heartedly. 

1)  violence against women.  The beatings that Ji-an took was shown in brutal detail.  Literally she got punched in the face, and abdomen until she crumpled to the ground.  This made many delicate audiences cringe hence the frantic warning from the authority about excess violence on screen....

THE PROBLEM IS.... screening violence against women... DOESN'T MAKE THE PROBLEM GOES AWAY.  It didn't lessened the blows these women received, the punches to the face, the body until they crumple to the ground where by they end up in hospital with internal organ damages or bone fractures. 

That scene where Ji-an went to the pharmacy to get pain medication, where the woman pharmacist shows her on a piece of paper "do you need help?" eyeing the game boy (thinking he was her boyfriend and beat her up).... is a message to the abused, that there are people out there who may help them.. that they should seek help... that there are people who care.

Further on,  those brutal scenes further highlight who is Lee Ji-an.   She may be desperately poor, living a miserable down trodden existence where she eats table scraps, much like a dog, literally tortured brutally, YET she remained relatively unbroken, with her dignity and scruples intact.... shirking from those scenes of violence against her would not have lessen her injury and her suffering... showing basically a society that just wants to sweep the ugliness under the rug... out of sight, out of mind!

there is no excuse to assault another human being... unless they have rabies and attack us first!

2) this tiresome age gap matter.  There has been endless discussions on this topic with enough cooking ideas to make a 100 courses meal!  In reality, there won't be consensus on anything.... The audiences could not even agree on whether they are relations of father/daughter, teacher-student, friends, more than friends, lovers etc....  With that, the audiences could in no way agree on how they proceed with their affection toward each other, whether it be platonic, romantic, skin-shippss??  etc...  But, this controversy has create a lot of dialogues, which in some way dilute the prejudice that WE ALL FEEL.....

Some shippers here at Soompi state without hesitation that they think the relations between the main characters are fine and shippss them.  This reader will pose a slightly different scenario where their age gap is 35-40 years, would the shippers still shipppss or look away with unease with such relation?   If they feel uncomfortable,... that is what many nonshipping audience feel.  This is why the nonshippers pretend to see a father/daughter uncle-niece, beautiful friendship relations.. .it makes the audience more comfortable.   In reality, most of us have some prejudices, and it takes time and reasoning for us to change or not change our mind.   but the dialogue was started...by My Mister.

3)  What to do about the poor?  K-drama tends to show the richer poor in society (those who are poor but not desperately poor).... what about the rest who are the poorer-poor.  They get swept under the rug.  Some time a hero may end up being a street bum but he doesn't stay there for long.  In reality, there is very little that society can do for the poor.  By definition if some one has more money than another (one is poorer and one is richer).  There is no societal scale that can make everyone equal.  but at least it shocks us.. seeing Ji-an the heroine of the story eating table scraps that belong in trash or something one may throw to a dog, seeing the startled reaction of the engineer and the computer kid when they see grand-ma being transported in a cart (some thing that would startle all of us if we see that in real life).... and makes us think... for a moment!

4) Work place violence...  Director Yoon should not be director.  he is abusive, tactless, disrespectful to all those working under him... while acting like a lap-dog to those above him, leaking their boots.  engineer Dong Hoon on the other hand show the right trait for a manager.   He even tries to save a lady bug (life is relatively sacred and gratuitous violence is not good).

5)  How to make a successful drama... that sucks the audience in and won't let them breath, that play with their emotions week after week?.  This matter has been discussed in many thoughtful essays here on Soompi... so this reader will simply sum them up as:  Visual, sound and scenery.....

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, MsMinnieFran said:

When the gang started to talk about JA at DH's director celebration at JH's place..It is like she was more there than YH who was actually there.

@MsMinnieFran  You said:   When the gang started to talk about JA at DH's director celebration at JH's place in episode 14..It is like she was more there than YH who was actually there.

Yes... this time there is sounds, sad songs and HER OWN heavy breathing!

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I didn't have time to watch episode 13/14 but just watched them now but the scene at the end of episode 12 when Ji An says hes a good person and he smiles with tears in his eyes really proves how much her words mean to him. 

Episode 13 - The brothers really annoyed me this episode Ki-hoon for getting involved with his brothers business and being nosy ,something is clearly wrong with him i think maybe he has ADHD or something he gets angry really easy. Sang-hoon annoyed me for telling his brother to get back with that cheater . The scene i loved was DH saying when you feel like you want to die.. dont die ,you're a decent person, hang in there . The mere fact that there is someone cheering me on like that helps me breath. Then he says thanks for being by my side. :cold_sweat:

Song Ki-bum was a little dumb for being in such a obvious place when police are looking for him. DH defending Ji an so much at his interview was so damn touching and everything he said was so damn true. These scum bags digging into her past that was supposed to be protected so she wouldn't be judged like these people are doing. Him finding the slippers then remembering what they meant and realized she left was head breaking. 

The monk scene's were so well acted and told also really loving this story-line, she looked so pretty dressed up smart.

Episode 14 - Loving how much DH is worrying about Ji an and im enjoying the monk story line so damn much. her love for the monk reminds me of Ji an's love for DH in some way's. That phone call between Ji an and DH just oozed emotion from both sides and was so well done , i loved the way the camera moved around in that scene. DH was trying so hard not to break down. I loved Ji an threatening Joon-young this guy deserves everything he gets coming to him.

He got promoted as a director and directly looks and need's Ji an's attention :cry: he keeps looking at the text he sent her . The bar scene was so damn good the emotion and tension along with DH singing that song with those lyrics..i feel so bad for him. Then he puts the slippers on.. ahh the feels.  He found out about the wiretapping and had a single tear :( , poor DH is always hurting. 

This scene with Joon-young where hes asking what he did with Ji an and where she is proves to everyone who thinks he would be fine without her near him , she told him where she is but he still needs to see her. He deserved those damn punches though.  When he asked Ji and to call him that was seemed to me like he was begging with the way he held his phone and the last part call me was so emotional sounding. 

These episodes just made me ship them harder .. damn it. So did this http://parkdonghoons.tumblr.com/ .. anyone who does not believe anything between them or its father/adoption look at that tumblr. 

Sorry if this is alot , i have terrible grammar and bad sentence structure please forgive me. 

21 minutes ago, noor1 said:

No, I'm NOT one of those people! 

thats good at least haha ;p

• Like 12

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

Here we go, again...

My Ajusshi: Episode 14 

by LollyPip

Even as one part of his life is on the upswing, another part takes a definite turn for the worse for Dong-hoon. Luckily he’s got a fierce guardian angel on his side, willing to do anything to make sure nobody upsets his good fortune. But the truth is beginning to come to light, and her protectiveness could get them both into a lot more trouble if they aren’t careful.

EPISODE 14 RECAP

Okay. We’re definitely watching a different show.

“The newly-minted “Director Park” is urged to the spotlight, and he obliges with a song about having no regrets for leaving someone behind.”

My Korean is pretty basic but even I can tell that wasn’t what the song was about. Hello??? It’s about longing for a girl that’s in a faraway place that he will never see again.

“But it’s the young monk who answers, saying that Gyeom-duk is meditating. Dong-hoon answers, “Do well.””

uh no that was a pretty sacarstic “great job” and from what @V says really more like a “f- you” for ignoring him...

etc etc

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 9
  • LOL 8

5 hours ago, Wotad said:

i agree with you i noticed it like straight away but maybe the romance people are deluded it will be exciting to see whose right.

I'm never deluded about romance... that's usually other people's problem. 

:tongue::D

I love DH to bits... he's a great fictional character but in all honesty the man doesn't know what he wants. Everyone else around him seems to though but he just plods away in his small corner of the universe just trying to survive life. He's lived his entire life doing the right thing by everyone else. His immediate family, his extended family, his colleagues and his company. He's been used and abused over and over again, yet he bottles it up. He can't articulate how he feels 90% of the time because he's afraid of hurting others to the point where he's pushed his own feelings aside to the point of irrelevance. To me that's been established very clearly from Day 1. 

In walks LJ'A who seems to be an upstart and he's immediately intrigued. She makes no claim to being nice and there's no pretence about her. She doesn't talk much and isn't all that awed by authority. There's an audacity that he's impressed with... something he knows he lacks but she seems to have in spades. What's more, they're kindred spirits and he admires her strong survival instincts. She can tell straightaway that despite all appearances to the contrary, he isn't a happy man who is harbouring a lot of angst.

Even his mother knows this which is why she worries about him most. His brothers have verbal diarrhoea while he's emotionally constipated.

To me the ambiguity that pervades DH is a reflection of his mental state. He has a vague sense that he's not happy with his life but he doesn't know how to make things right without rocking the boat and dragging people down with him. The one thing he really gets a kick out of is being a structural engineer and even that's been rudely snatched from him at the start of the drama. But he could have jumped ship if he wasn't trying to play it safe.  So he soldiers on stoically dreaming of the old days.

DH is the quintessential stoic. He's morally upright and he keeps his feelings under wraps to the point that it's become a defensive mechanism. For him to be expressive about his feelings would be out of character but that doesn't mean he doesn't leak. That's why he's been making threats, beating people up lately and punching walls. The cracks are showing and he's leaking like the radiator of an old bomb.

I think people want him to be clear... and fair enough... but it seems to me that he's saying one thing out loud but his actions say other things. It isn't a conventional romance that's for certain. Whether or not the romance advances, that's definitely up for grabs. For me as long as they're at peace with themselves at the end, an open ending is fine.

4 hours ago, rellea said:

I completely agree with everything you said. I went into this drama not expecting anything because of what the actors said about this not being a romance, but I could tell they were setting up a loveline from the first episode. One scene that sticks out in my mind is right after DH finished drinking with his brothers and is on his way home. They warned him that JA likes him and to stay away from her, but as soon as he gets a message from her he bolts off the train to go see her.

Ah, that's interesting. That's something else I didn't know.

I'm not the kind of person who looks for romance in a show but there's not a lot I can do if it hits me between the eyes. :D

Welcome to Soompi!

4 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

@40somethingahjumma

He actually did better than that.... On the scene in episode 5 where he chased after Ji-an when she got hit by the bicyclist with the shopping cart, he chased her but stopped at the crosswalk when the light flashed (do not cross).  he waited minutes until the signal flashed to walk again, before he chase after her again!  Because of that he lost track of her until he heard her coming down the alley with grandma in the cart!  he would not make a good detective!

He would be a dreadful detective. :tongue: She'd been inadvertently dropping so many hints before that and he didn't pick up on any of it. 

But the man has the weight of the world on his shoulders so I forgive him. :wink:

• Like 17

48 minutes ago, Wotad said:

I didn't have time to watch episode 13/14 but just watched them now but the scene at the end of episode 12 when Ji An says hes a good person and he smiles with tears in his eyes really proves how much her words mean to him. 

Episode 13 - The brothers really annoyed me this episode Ki-hoon for getting involved with his brothers business and being nosy ,something is clearly wrong with him i think maybe he has ADHD or something he gets angry really easy. Sang-hoon annoyed me for telling his brother to get back with that cheater . The scene i loved was DH saying when you feel like you want to die.. dont die ,you're a decent person, hang in there . The mere fact that there is someone cheering me on like that helps me breath. Then he says thanks for being by my side. :cold_sweat:

Song Ki-bum was a little dumb for being in such a obvious place when police are looking for him. DH defending Ji an so much at his interview was so damn touching and everything he said was so damn true. These scum bags digging into her past that was supposed to be protected so she wouldn't be judged like these people are doing. Him finding the slippers then remembering what they meant and realized she left was head breaking. 

The monk scene's were so well acted and told also really loving this story-line, she looked so pretty dressed up smart.

Episode 14 - Loving how much DH is worrying about Ji an and im enjoying the monk story line so damn much. her love for the monk reminds me of Ji an's love for DH in some way's. That phone call between Ji an and DH just oozed emotion from both sides and was so well done , i loved the way the camera moved around in that scene. DH was trying so hard not to break down. I loved Ji an threatening Joon-young this guy deserves everything he gets coming to him.

He got promoted as a director and directly looks and need's Ji an's attention :cry: he keeps looking at the text he sent her . The bar scene was so damn good the emotion and tension along with DH singing that song with those lyrics..i feel so bad for him. Then he puts the slippers on.. ahh the feels.  He found out about the wiretapping and had a single tear :( , poor DH is always hurting. 

This scene with Joon-young where hes asking what he did with Ji an and where she is proves to everyone who thinks he would be fine without her near him , she told him where she is but he still needs to see her. He deserved those damn punches though.  When he asked Ji and to call him that was seemed to me like he was begging with the way he held his phone and the last part call me was so emotional sounding. 

These episodes just made me ship them harder .. damn it.

Sorry if this is alot , i have terrible grammar and bad sentence structure please forgive me. 

@Wotad  there were 6 scenes in episodes 14 that shows the emotional turmoil inside Engineer Dong Hoon.

1) the farewell that turns out not to be farewell in the phone booth  2) the karaoke at Jung Hee's bar where he sang about missing some one far away while she actually was listening to him  3) His unhappiness and loneliness now that he occupies the director chair... one can see that in his face as he stood at the glass screen looking at his old desk and that of the other who is no longer present... It got worse, when some strange woman walked there and sit down at THAT DESK... The disappointment on his face was obvious, as reality set in.  He is literally isolated in the ivory tower, and the one who gives him strength (the steel bar reinforcing his concrete) is not there....

4) the confusion on his face when he found out that his phone was bugged by Ji-an.... he walked into the cine holding the phone, not knowing what to do with it.... 5) his confrontation with the ceo where he now realize that the missing one has once again sacrifice herself for his sake and 6)  when he picked up the cell phone,  caress it and hesitate then said Lee Ji-an Lee Ji-an, call me....  What he left unsaid and could not say was probably... I need you!

• Like 11
  • LOL 1

I want to build on the thought that I had earlier.

So, my first thesis is about Dong-Hoon's character. He's been perceived, especially in the beginning, as a conformist. As someone who just doesn't step out of line, who is a slave to society's rules. However, I never thought that was true.

My analogy was about manners. People observe basic manners because it's a rule they were taught, but its true purpose is to be kind and courteous to others. For some, they need to learn and remember the rules, because it is not in their nature to be considerate. For someone like Dong-Hoon, kindness and courtesy is a basic part of his nature. And at times, kindness and courtesy itself can be radical.

So, the kind of person Dong-Hoon is, a considerate person - and there are ways in which his nature benefits him in this society. He's a nice guy, so he has lots of friends, loyal underlings at work, and was popular with girls. But there are times when his nature conflicts with society - when it comes to cut-throat executive politics where your opponent is willing to be sneaky and shady, that's when he's outmatched. But he still won't play their game, he would rather lose out instead.

Moving onto my next point...

I've been pondering Sang-Won, the monk. Sang-Won was (as we just learned) Dong-Hoon's best friend. Smart, handsome, and popular with the girls. And I think he is kindred spirits with Dong-Hoon. He also said that Dong-Hoon was the biggest reason for him to decide to become a monk. So how repressed does Dong-Hoon have to be at age 18 that your best friend decides he'd rather withdraw from the secular world than live a life like yours?

So Sang-Won is living an ascetic life in the mountains with the goats and the grass. Dong-Hoon is living an ascetic life in the secular world. He's like a monk living in the modern world, basically Sang-Won's counterpart. So he's going through the motions of a regular Korean ahjussi, marrying, having a child, going to work. But he did say that this life was a hell he had to endure for something bad he did in a past life. And he also talks about how he should have never been born, that he just doesn't belong here. People constantly describe him as dour, and his own wife says that something is missing in his life.

The point I made before, and I think it still stands is that Dong-Hoon's nature is to do what he thinks is right, not what society thinks. It was never what society thinks. So that is why when people say that he would never jeopardize his career or reputation for Ji-An, I say no. He absolutely would and he absolute did. And he absolutely will again. That is the selfish thing that he is going to do - not compromise. He will fight for her, protect her, and yes, he is going to have her.

(Or she is going to have him. Because that is the title of this show.)

So anyway, what I think will happen, even though I agree it's a long shot -

The monk will climb down the mountain and be with Jung-Hee again.

Why? Because it's the only narrative that now makes sense. Before these past two episodes, I never would have dreamed it. I really thought that he had a great monologue in him that would explain everything in a way that made sense to both Jung-Hee and the audience, so she (and we) can finally have some closure. So I was looking forward to that scene. But with only two episodes left, I'm no longer sure that's how this story will end.

The monk will see, when he witnesses Ji-An and Dong-Hoon, that a truly happy life in the secular world can be achieved, that sensitive souls like his and Dong-Hoon's can find a way, without compromising who they are. So he's going to take a chance and return.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Uishhh what's with all this hate for the brothers? 

Have faith in them, and in the part they will play for our ahjussi's happiness. 

In fact, MA's constantly shown us that each character, no matter how small, has an important role for DH, whether he/ they know it or not. 

Some examples...

JY: As we all know, essentially set up DH-JA relationship. I can't hate JY; he often speaks the truth about DH, JA, YH, and at least he knows he's a slimeball

SH's friend  (Ji Cheul or something?): By passing his business to SH (and KH), DH no longer need to fund his older brother's business, as per his mum's request
Friend with beard: As JA's neighbour, he watches over JA
AR: In one sweep, made sure DH may once again acknowledge his bestie's existence when he's around JH
Restaurant friend: His place becomes kinda like a sanctuary for DH-JA, where they can eat, drink, talk, smile with no one to disturb them
JA's guardian: I'm still holding on to his quote about our hearts not ruled by reason

GI: Yet to be shown, but I strongly believe there's a story here

As you go about your own day, remember, you too have the power to change/ influence someone else's life :heart:

• Like 12

2 hours ago, justamom said:

Okay. We’re definitely watching a different show.

“The newly-minted “Director Park” is urged to the spotlight, and he obliges with a song about having no regrets for leaving someone behind.”

My Korean is pretty basic but even I can tell that wasn’t what the song was about. Hello??? It’s about longing for a girl that’s in a faraway place that he will never see again.

“But it’s the young monk who answers, saying that Gyeom-duk is meditating. Dong-hoon answers, “Do well.””

uh no that was a pretty sacarstic “great job” and from what @V says really more like a “f- you” for ignoring him...

etc etc

Yeah, I noticed that. :D

I love Dramabeans, but I really do feel like, "are they watching the same show?"

Like this one:

It feels more as though they’re soul mates who just aren’t meant to be together in this life, but that who still recognized each other and were drawn together for a short time.

I just find myself shaking my head and thinking "nope."

We don't need to see the physical stuff. I'm *very* happy with what we are getting. They just lightly tease each other about how fast/slow he is walking and very slightly, almost imperceptibly smirk at each other and we *DIE*. I don't think we can handle more. Please let them just breathe the same air. That is more than enough for me.

We will see a hug, though.

Because she asked for a hug, and he demurred. Just like how he stared at the first pair of slippers for a while but didn't wear them but obviously REALLY wanted to. Yeah, he takes his sweet time with these things. But he DOES demand a new pair, and he DOES wear them. So he WILL hug her. (and then, game over)

These two. They're going to be knocking slippers. At some point in the future, anyway.

I'm sorry. My mind keeps going to the dirty place. But it's... well, I'm going to defend my filthy thoughts because:

(1) The HEAT between them is palpable. Come on.

(2) Why is everyone so repressed? Stop fighting the sexiness. It's making me sad.

• Like 11
  • LOL 7

Spoiler
2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

I want to build on the thought that I had earlier.

So, my first thesis is about Dong-Hoon's character. He's been perceived, especially in the beginning, as a conformist. As someone who just doesn't step out of line, who is a slave to society's rules. However, I never thought that was true.

My analogy was about manners. People observe basic manners because it's a rule they were taught, but its true purpose is to be kind and courteous to others. For some, they need to learn and remember the rules, because it is not in their nature to be considerate. For someone like Dong-Hoon, kindness and courtesy is a basic part of his nature. And at times, kindness and courtesy itself can be radical.

So, the kind of person Dong-Hoon is, a considerate person - and there are ways in which his nature benefits him in this society. He's a nice guy, so he has lots of friends, loyal underlings at work, and was popular with girls. But there are times when his nature conflicts with society - when it comes to cut-throat executive politics where your opponent is willing to be sneaky and shady, that's when he's outmatched. But he still won't play their game, he would rather lose out instead.

Moving onto my next point...

I've been pondering Sang-Won, the monk. Sang-Won was (as we just learned) Dong-Hoon's best friend. Smart, handsome, and popular with the girls. And I think he is kindred spirits with Dong-Hoon. He also said that Dong-Hoon was the biggest reason for him to decide to become a monk. So how repressed does Dong-Hoon have to be at age 18 that your best friend decides he'd rather withdraw from the secular world than live a life like yours?

So Sang-Won is living an ascetic life in the mountains with the goats and the grass. Dong-Hoon is living an ascetic life in the secular world. He's like a monk living in the modern world, basically Sang-Won's counterpart. So he's going through the motions of a regular Korean ahjussi, marrying, having a child, going to work. But he did say that this life was a hell he had to endure for something bad he did in a past life. And he also talks about how he should have never been born, that he just doesn't belong here. People constantly describe him as dour, and his own wife says that something is missing in his life.

The point I made before, and I think it still stands is that Dong-Hoon's nature is to do what he thinks is right, not what society thinks. It was never what society thinks. So that is why when people say that he would never jeopardize his career or reputation for Ji-An, I say no. He absolutely would and he absolute did. And he absolutely will again. That is the selfish thing that he is going to do - not compromise. He will fight for her, protect her, and yes, he is going to have her.

(Or she is going to have him. Because that is the title of this show.)

So anyway, what I think will happen, even though I agree it's a long shot -

The monk will climb down the mountain and be with Jung-Hee again.

Why? Because it's the only narrative that now makes sense. Before these past two episodes, I never would have dreamed it. I really thought that he had a great monologue in him that would explain everything in a way that made sense to both Jung-Hee and the audience, so she (and we) can finally have some closure. So I was looking forward to that scene. But with only two episodes left, I'm no longer sure that's how this story will end.

The monk will see, when he witnesses Ji-An and Dong-Hoon, that a truly happy life in the secular world can be achieved, that sensitive souls like his and Dong-Hoon's can find a way, without compromising who they are. So he's going to take a chance and return.

@chickfactor, how I wish you were the one writing the script for episode 16.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:
  Hide contents

@chickfactor, how I wish you were the one writing the script for episode 16.

Oh, that is so sweet. I'm feeling so chuffed.

But hey, it's going to be awesome. Trust.

Before we head into finale week (bittersweet) it was so awesome for me to have all of you in this group to be able to share and hash out this amazing show that we watched together.

• Like 12

I do not know what KH issues are, but his behaviors isn't ADHD

Even if he does have ADHD that is not what is causing his behavior.

AHDH is a neurological variations that is maladaptive for modern school and office life. It doesn't make people murderous at the drop of a hat.

• Like 4