[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

I have a feeling that it might be one of those vague endings, where the viewer does not know for sure whether they are together or not. And so there is going to be another round of debates/analysis as to whether whatever was shown means they are together or not. I feel that has been the nature of the show up to now, and it is only fitting that it ends like that.:D At the end we are all going to be in same teams that we were in before namely

A: Father & daughter -brother & sister team (adoption)

B: Friends but soulmates team

C: In a relationship team

D: I don't care about all if that..it is just a healing drama team

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 7

4 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

Maybe there is a parallel between DH and his monk friend. They both locked themselves into a room and try to find within themselves peace, and shut off the people around them.  DH does insulate himself. His mother said he did everything and worked the hardest but never asked her for anything.  DH has never acknowledged his own needs. He works for others.  It is as if the desire for things would taint his heart or purity.   He tries to stay above it, or between it - "the middle way".  But life caused him finally to burst out with emotion and he beat up DY.      Jung Hee on the other hand, lets it all hang out.  She is all unquenchable desire, she never shut herself off from her emotional attachment to the monk.  She cannot break free so to speak. Maybe we are seeing the two extremes here.  But for me, a woman,   I do feel a bond to JH and feel grateful to her. She does show that love is not fickle, that it can last even for years.  I know she is a beautiful woman and could have met men and had children, but she just wound not let the monk go.  Was that cruel to the monk?  Just as cruel as he was to her.      So now DH has tried very hard to live his life in the middle way, not showing his desire or greed for the world, just living righteously.   He is finally opening up to what it is he wants.   Not sure how it will end, but looking forward to the ending and hoping.

So maybe Jung Hee's life will serve as a cautionary tale for Ji An.  What if JA's love for DH is long enduring like Jung Hee's, and instead of settling for another love, she stubbornly longs for her one true love that is never meant to be?  Because like you said, JA also "lets it all hang out."  

• Like 10

I don’t think JA will die becauss what was the point of DH changed her life, bringing it warmth and light so that she could learn what it means to be a good person? I feel like if she dies then everything she has learned would be kind of for nothing. The only thing that could possibly indicate she would die was the Reborn comment and even that she said she’s okay with being reborn. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

But I have enough of them beating around the bush.  This time I want a conventional love confession, damn it!  No more DH beating up bad guys because he can't properly express his feelings to the one he loves.

I believe that DH's thoughts about his feelings for Jian were purposefully omitted by the PD throughout the drama until the big reveal which I assumed will be happening by Episode 15. It is a story telling tactic masterfully crafted by KWS, he likes to put strings by around the ending and will likely reveal more scenes about DH's feelings regarding Jian. The production knows that the audience is getting impatient. They have no choice at this point but to address the big elephant in the room. 

• Like 13

My take on possible ending scenarios....

1) If the script/storyline cannot really bring together DH and JA. fine, what else can we do. But definitely DH has to separate/divorce YH.  If not JA, then later on he can meet someone else, date someone else, cause if he will choose YH still, id rather he'd become a monk instead.

2) Time jump, all issues are settled. DH, YH divorced amicably.  JA has a new job, or studying and she's back in the neighborhood.  DH & JA might not be "together-together" but they're getting there... something like that.

Please, please nobody dies pls !

• Like 12

1 hour ago, justamom said:

Ah okay! It must be so strange for all of you IU fans to see her in My Mister. When I saw that video I was like who is that stranger and what did she do to my Ji An? I want my Ji An back!

(Just imagine Park Dong Hoon seeing IU instead of Ji An...he’d get a heart attack!)

Ikr. It will take me some time to get used again to IU's other persona as the glam up queen soloist of Korea.  I was like where the hell is my Jian? :lol: the scary girl with her gangsta puppy eyes and baby cheeks. Lee Jieun (IU) is really cool as Jian - less make up, recycled clothes, converse shoes, and oversized hoodie. She has become My Oppa damn it! :wub: No offense to our handsome Ajusshi. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 5

Ep 14:

So far this drama has the kind of chemistry that makes me worship phone, slippers and phone booth :D

Missing Jian makes DH desperate as hell that he call his brother out of the blue. 

Jian came after JH ask her to come to the pub. She'll always accept a kindness that was given sincerely.

"My phone broke. In case you try to call me... This is Lee Ji An." She sounded like afraid of getting scolded... Which is what she deserved haha.

"A person i liked." The pain when she cannot come to him again when his breathing become weird again.

She's eyeing the knife! "A person who has kill once surely can kill again. I'll kill all bastards who mess with PDH."

Amidst the congratulations, his eyes are only at Jian's desk. :(

I'm glad SH's wife drunkenness breaks the long silence that torture DH for years. She is even more useful than SH when she's drunk.

SH giving that heart sign is a perfect killer blow for YH's pride. Good job, bro. 

"Oh if i happen to think of them i stay up all night because i have a person i miss. " At this line she stopped as her eyes welled up with tears. She miss him so much.

DH looks so small in his room after everyone leave him alone. Is his happiness is becoming a director only? It doesn't matter. He only wants her around.

That trickle of tears when DH realize Jian's the only reason he can become a director. Poor DH. He looked so lost.

I once said that he might not take this lightly since he's the kind of person that treasures privacy more than anything. Well, calling Jian to give her a piece of his mind on this. You go fondle that phone like you fondle your woman bro.

The preview make me strongly hope that the ending wouldn't be like let's-meet-again-after-time-jump-decided-by-the-script, more like DH will search for Jian and keep doing so until he can see her face. Aww.

• Like 10
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

i mean they can be together.

I mean if they are not around each other would either of them be happy , they are happy around each other . I think they are meant to be together but will they get together i doubt it.

Look at how he reacts when she does not turn up at work for one day , or when she leaves and he tells her to call him etc.. Look at that phone call . They are meant to be together.

I agree with you. 

Unless we (shippers) are (not jonkingly but for real) delusional, it doesn't make sense to me to build up a story of soulmates that are meant to meet as "shooting stars" (p.s.: I'm rewatching Nagareboshi lol). If the writer is telling the story of two people with this kind of deep attachement, feelings, connection, need for each other, this kind of feelings that many say "romance" is too poor, too shallow to describe what is going on between them, then I can't imagine how they aren't meant to be together. As what you said: that doesn't mean that they will be together (which will be felt mostly as a sad ending). 

If the writer is telling a friendship connection (and we are delusional for real), then it is possible to think that they weren't meant to stay together: they will meet, make a profound impression on each others life, they will part healed and we will be satisfied with this ending. Because in real life, despite the quality and depth of a friendship connection, when this friend parts we will be sorry, we will miss him/her, but this event wouldn't be a impediment to our happiness, this wouldn't mean emptyness. On the contrary, the impact of that friend in our life, even without his/her presence, will also be a means to happiness, for his/her absence wouldn't take away the experience of fulfillment that that connection brought to us.

However, what the drama shows through the phone booth conversation, wans't a farewell of friends, but of lovers. They didn't show a bittersweet farewell, but a painful one. 

But the best and powerful moment when they showed the impact of DH's loss, to me, was when he realized that his possibility of connection with JA didn't exist anymore. It was a bit funny, for the phone booth conversation was a so-called definitive farewell: they would meet each other by chance or when her grandma will die. Yet, he sent message to her, was anxious that she didn't answer, as if that so-called farewell didn't happen, or didn't mean anything. And then the powerful moment happened: when calling JA, he recieved the news that it wasn't her number anymore. His world fell apart. 

I can't really describe with words (in english and in my language lol) the impact of that scene on me. LSK acting was just awesome. It expressed loss, surprise, confusion, despair, empytness, sadness, and the more vital: as if his soul would have abandoned his body.

The story tells, to me, that they long to be together, that happiness means to be together, that life fulfilled means to be together. So I think that the drama is describing the story of two souls that are meant to be together. But we don't know if the show wil take the path of happy ending (and make them to be together) or the path of sad ending (and make them to be apart). Let's hope the former.

56 minutes ago, timidjock0819 said:

I believe that DH's thoughts about his feelings for Jian were purposefully omitted by the PD throughout the drama until the big reveal which I assumed will be happening by Episode 15. It is a story telling tactic masterfully crafted by KWS, he likes to put strings by around the ending and will likely reveal more scenes about DH's feelings regarding Jian. The production knows that the audience is getting impatient. They have no choice at this point but to address the big elephant in the room. 

Maybe this is the "Signal reload" drama, where the criminal is DH's feelings, who will be revealed only at the last episode!:D . 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 16

46 minutes ago, Sharine Phinisia said:

I dont know why people keep thinking he really wanted to become a director he was forced and then his family pressured him into it , it was nothing he really wanted or would make him happy. 

42 minutes ago, ninaanin said:

I think they are soul mates because what would have happened if they didnt meet? I think JA would have died and DH would have died. They needed to meet and heal each other. 

When Ji An is not there he is so lost and emotional, i wont by that its friendship at all.  She kissed him, sure it was for a photo but he didnt know that. She told him that she likes him, its more then friendship. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, timidjock0819 said:

DH has been pretty vocal about how he feels - he likes her, is protective about her, has her best interest in his heart and mind and would do anything to make her happy - without crossing any line - that's why he gets angry whenever anyone suggests a hint of impropriety about his relationship with Ji-An. Whenever someone questions him, he defends his actions as those of a good manager, person, adult. Is he feeling guilty for harboring what he may consider 'inappropriate' feelings for an unfortunate, smart, gutsy, pretty girl? Does he think it's romantic love for a woman? His words and actions don't show that. He is grateful for her presence, help, and ability to rock his boat. Of course, he has led her on too without rejecting her outright, probably scared to let the support system go, taking her feelings as a mere crush (though he is getting an idea how serious her admiration is, when she keeps telling EVERYBODY that she really really likes him and would do anything for him and now is in a mess trying to save him yet again!). However, he does the right thing, for the right reasons, at the right time. He has his priorities in order: family, friends, job, co-workers, and then Ji-An. The 'elephant in the room' is 'is that all there is to it?' 

I think that's all there is to it. Others of course see something more. I hope there's more, it seems like there's more, but I'm not hedging any bets over it. The only reason DH seems Mr. Mysterious is because people don't want to see what he is showing: complete, selfless, regard and respect for another human being who touched his soul and made him feel alive and well and made him feel beautiful all over again so that he could assert himself and live a full life without fear or regret or indignity. He would be okay if he knew she was okay, wherever she is and remains in contact with him. There has been no indication that he wants anything more. He's not greedy that way! 

• Like 13

30 minutes ago, noor1 said:

DH has been pretty vocal about how he feels - he likes her, is protective about her, has her best interest in his heart and mind and would do anything to make her happy - without crossing any line - that's why he gets angry whenever anyone suggests a hint of impropriety about his relationship with Ji-An. Whenever someone questions him, he defends his actions as those of a good manager, person, adult. Is he feeling guilty for harboring what he may consider 'inappropriate' feelings for an unfortunate, smart, gutsy, pretty girl? Does he think it's romantic love for a woman? His words and actions don't show that. He is grateful for her presence, help, and ability to rock his boat. Of course, he has led her on too without rejecting her outright, probably scared to let the support system go, taking her feelings as a mere crush (though he is getting an idea how serious her admiration is, when she keeps telling EVERYBODY that she really really likes him and would do anything for him and now is in a mess trying to save him yet again!). However, he does the right thing, for the right reasons, at the right time. He has his priorities in order: family, friends, job, co-workers, and then Ji-An. The 'elephant in the room' is 'is that all there is to it?' 

I think that's all there is to it. Others of course see something more. I hope there's more, it seems like there's more, but I'm not hedging any bets over it. The only reason DH seems Mr. Mysterious is because people don't want to see what he is showing: complete, selfless, regard and respect for another human being who touched his soul and made him feel alive and well and made him feel beautiful all over again so that he could assert himself and live a full life without fear or regret or indignity. He would be okay if he knew she was okay, wherever she is and remains in contact with him. There has been no indication that he wants anything more. He's not greedy that way! 

Way to crush our hopes with logic, @noor1:)  I've always loved what you wrote and am glad you're back.  I have to agree with you even if my heart screams something else.  I guess unlike DH, I am greedy.

• Like 7
  • LOL 8

I legit cheered SO HARD when Dong-Hoon punched the living daylights out of Joon-Young:D Kudos to the actor (I'm sure I've mentioned this before) who plays Joon-Young btw, such a hateful character<_< I swear every time he shows up on screen I just want to scratch his eyeballs out!:angry: 

When Dong-Hoon looked over Ji-An's empty workspace upon his job promotion I just went Awww~ And they say NO ROMANCE. Yeah right!:rolleyes::tongue: LoL at Ji-Seok - his only concern was an increased allowance:tongue::w00t: Jung-Hee looks prettier & younger with straight hair...the curly hair ages her. She wasted 20 of her best years waiting on Sang-Won DEAR GOD:huh: that's insane:blink: And "robbed" Dong-Hoon of his BFF too.... 

Oh my God that last scene of ep. 14 when Dong-Hoon called out her name was soooo sexxayyy eheheheehhehheh:phew::w00t:

I noticed how awkward Yoon-Hee is among Dong-Hoon's family & friends at Jung-Hee's bar. She stuck out like a sore thumb in comparison to Yoo-Ra who seemed at ease.  

• Like 13
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, noor1 said:

But I think we see all that!!!!!

The problem is not that we (the "people" you refer) don't see it. The problem (if it is a problem) is that we not only see it! :D. It is very difficult not to see more when DH's breaths, gazes and restrained self and gestures whisper to us that there is more than "complete, selfless, regard and respect for another human". And, after the song that he did sing, not only do I see more, I hear it very loudly :D.

I do agree that he isn't greedy. I would say that there is few indications that he wants anything more. But I desagree that he would be ok just knowing she is alright and in contact with her. From the scenes after the phone boot until the scenes he realizes recouldn't contact her, he did show what I see like longing and missing, and he had no reason to think she wasn't ok and she couldn't contac her.

Edited by ninaanin
  • Like 12

On 5/8/2018 at 2:20 AM, snowdragon09 said:

Thanks!! Please inform me if there's any fanfict out there that can satisfy my lust.:wub:

Just for you @snowdragon09,

You would probably enjoy this: http://parkdonghoons.tumblr.com/

I haven't been in the right mind or place to check these out, but there are a lot more entries here, some with adult content warning: https://archiveofourown.org/tags/나의 아저씨 | My Mister (TV)/works.  

I just took a quick look and they are quite innocent.  It's safe to proceed.

Edited by sadiesmith
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, noor1 said:

You make some good points but i totally disagree i think there is more to it then what you are suggesting the way he wanted those slippers back is one thing that basically defeats everything you said , he knows she has feeling's for him and got really hurt when those slippers were taken away . He then put those on when she left and was super hurt when she left , him not rejecting her outright already tells me he feels something for her. The fact he didnt reject her right at the start when she kissed him say's he has something for her at least in my view.  Im seeing what he's showing in my view you are clearly not , there has been no Indication he wants more but there has been no Indication he does not . 

Hes mysterious because we dont fully know what he thinks about Ji-An but hopefully we find out.

If i remember correctly he didn't even care or like this job and if he had to pick between Ji-An or the job i think he would drop it. Ji an makes him happy HIS FAMILY , his job , his co workers,friends are the people who made him into that state to begin with. 

There is a reason shes able to help him and everyone else wasn't , they were the cause and shes the cure.  

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

Way to crush our hopes with logic, @noor1:)  I've always loved what you wrote and am glad you're back.  I have to agree with you even if my heart screams something else.  I guess unlike DH, I am greedy.

Nothing that person really said was logic , its probs one of those people who thinks he should adopt her. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ninaanin said:

But I think we see all that!!!!!

The problem is not that we (the "people" you refer) don't see it. The problem (if it is a problem) is that we not only see it! :D. It is very difficult not to see more when DH's breaths, gazes and restrained self and gestures whisper to us that there is more than "complete, selfless, regard and respect for another human". And, after the song that he did sing, not only do I see more, I hear it very loudly :D.

I do agree that he isn't greedy. I would say that there is few indications that he wants anything more. But I desagree that he would be ok just knowing she is alright and in contact with her. From the scenes after the phone boot until the scenes he realizes recouldn't contact her, he did show what I see like longing and missing, and he had no reason to think she wasn't ok and she couldn't contac her.

Thank you, and let me add also that he cried at least three times since she left!  He is a complete mess.  He did not cry when he found out about his wife's affair, at least not until it all came out in the open between them.

13 minutes ago, Wotad said:

Nothing that person really said was logic , its probs one of those people who thinks he should adopt her. 

No, @noor1is not one of them.  She really does see where the drama takes us and reacts accordingly. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Thank you, and let me add also that he cried at least three times since she left!  He is a complete mess.  He did not cry when he found out about his wife's affair, at least not until it all came out in the open between them.

No, @noor1is not one of them.  She really does see where the drama takes us and reacts accordingly. 

In my opinion that person is one of them , some of what she was saying was basically calling people ignorant in some parts. 

The only reason DH seems Mr. Mysterious is because people don't want to see what he is showing: complete, selfless, regard and respect for another human being who touched his soul and made him feel alive and well and made him feel beautiful all over again so that he could assert himself and live a full life without fear or regret or indignity. He would be okay if he knew she was okay, wherever she is and remains in contact with him

You watched 14 episodes and think he would be okay if she was out of sight for him like really?  people think hes mysterious because he is.. we dont know what hes truly thinking. 

Lets wait and see though the people who act like know it all's and think he hasnt show interest in her might look stupid next week or i will , so lets wait and see. 

• Like 2

My_Mister.jpg

Cue dramatic/romantic sounding song.

When i something like this on my screen how am i supposed to process this? I honest to goodness have never seen friends/father and daughter/employer and employee separation portrayed in such a way in a movie or drama before. Maybe i have been just watching the wrong films.

• Like 4
  • LOL 8

2 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

I noticed how awkward Yoon-Hee is among Dong-Hoon's family & friends at Jung-Hee's bar. She stuck out like a sore thumb in comparison to Yoo-Ra who seemed at ease.  

@Latte_Anyday  said I noticed how awkward yoon-hee is among dong-hoon's family and friend at Jung hee's bar.  She stuck out like a sore thumb in comparison to Yoo-ra who seemed at ease.

This reader says:  Move out old daughter in law... move in new daughter in law (or daughters ???)

@Sharine Phinisia said from episode13:...This is not an interview. More like dir. Yoon's screaming session into DH's ears. And when Jian's picture was projected into the screen... Oh no you didn't just... And DH's only blows when he exposed her criminal history.

You can almost hear what engineer Dong Hoon did not say:  Yeah?  Call me stupid, call me incompetent, call me ignorant, but don't you dare touch my.... uh...my....uh...my....my employee!!!

what ever my... my..my.... never mind, she does I would do the same!!!

@MsMinnieFran said:  Cue dramatic/romantic sounding song.

When i something like this on my screen how am i supposed to process this? I honest to goodness have never seen friends/father and daughter/employer and employee separation portrayed in such a way in a movie or drama before. Maybe i have been just watching the wrong films....

This reader says... doesn't matter if you watch the wrong films as long as you get to watch the right ending!!!

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

6 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

Ikr. It will take me some time to get used again to IU's other persona as the glam up queen soloist of Korea.  I was like where the hell is my Jian? :lol: the scary girl with her gangsta puppy eyes and baby cheeks. Lee Jieun (IU) is really cool as Jian - less make up, recycled clothes, converse shoes, and oversized hoodie. She has become My Oppa damn it! :wub: No offense to our handsome Ajusshi. 

@timidjock0819, So not just me,felt Confused while see her in IU costum:lol: lately i watching her MV and consert

Many time i got the hunch" did this girl is Ji an?":anguished: 

I wish she scure her name actress as lee ji eun not IU.

IMG_20180510_093241.jpg

Jian after scouting by talent agency, found her so obsesive with coffe to release her stressed .:lol:

She no need to eat leaf over foods anymoreB)

IMG_20180512_174318.jpg

Jianaa let's be happy.

• Like 8
  • LOL 1