[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

6 hours ago, popai5 said:

For those wishing to see 'more' of LSK look for the film 'Paju'. In the early scenes you get to see his bare behind as he makes love. Don't know if it is him or a body double though. I don't remember him from 'Coffee Prince' but I enjoyed him in 'Pasta' and 'Miss Korea'. I watched 'Paju' because he was in it. Good performance. Similar dark, gritty and realistic setting. He has a relationship with his dead wife's younger sister. Strange plot/relationship but an interesting film.

@tiger457_stv Paju is everything but "cheeky" but I won't recommend it except to Indie film lovers.  Watch A Hard Day, Petty Romance, or All About My Wife instead.  These are a little easier to digest.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I can't even speak about episode 14 right now. I don't have the words, much like Dong Hoon during the phone conversation scene. I'm just reading all of your posts and nodding along.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but tomorrow is the last day of filming for My Mister. IU attended a music festival today and happened to mention it. 

So the end is near, my friends. Not to be dramatic but if Ji An and Dong Hoon are not happy and healthy at the end of the show, I'll burn TVN studios to the ground. But no pressure writer!

• Like 10
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mujay said:

I SICK  WITH ALL FATHER-DAUGHTER issue in this drama, why still bring such groundless reason when there is none.

DH-Jian relationship they could name it anything except this one

when some people insisting father-daughter applying to DH-Jian relationship what i felt"common folk you humiliating such great drama"

2 more episode we will see how brave the writer and PDnim stay true in their concept, many people hide behind their prejudice,religious belief and their personal notions of right and wrong just to look fancy not because they mean it.

Let"s stay cool to greet the revolution of DH and Jian love line.

First of all, Happy Saturday everyone!:)

I thought this issue all gone shut to hell.. Paternal? lmao. First of all Dong Hoon already has a kid, so he is not devoid with the feelings of a parent. No doubt DH loves his child,  but do you see him long for Jiseok like a soulmate? Come on now. This is just ridiculous talk from people that have prejudices towards the age gap from the beginning.

Their relationship is strictly platonic -  ok there were some elements of friendship in the beginning but it all ended the minute Jian confessed her feelings numerous times. If this was just platonic, then a confession was not necessary and could have been left out entirely in the show. Jian's confession was the centerpiece of episode 10. The writer/PD could have just fiddle with the non-confession all throughout if they were really angling for a platonic co-worker relationship. Jian's confession was put front and center because the show wanted to make it clear this was not just a platonic relationship but more than that.. The phone booth scene should really be the utmost confirmation of Jian's love for Dong Hoon. She was saying goodbye to the love of her life that it's ok for her to be reborn if it means she can meet him again in another lifetime (effin broke my heart!:bawling:). 

@mujay 2 more episodes chingu. Let's hope PD Kim Won Suk and writer Park Haeyoung  are really brave and end it with Jian and DH happy together with the anticipation of a new beginning and new love blooming. Both of them deserve the happiness and contentment they found in each other. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, mintea18 said:

Just finished watching Ep 13, 14 and I'm sitting in front of my laptop, dumbstruck and blown away by how engaging, emotional and powerful the drama is. The hopeless romantic in me just want to see JiAn throw herself into DH's arms then he hug her as tightly as he can... I'm a bit angry cause the "subtle" romance we have right now is all because of the prejudice about the age gap. If not, I believe DH would have said "JiAn, I like you too!" by now. His acts are so obvious that he is in love!

The scenes between JA and JY/DH and JY make me wonder if JY is secretly the captain of DH-JA Ship hahah.

Can't wait to the final Eps but at the same time I'm so not prepared for it. Sure I will have that weird feeling when my favorite drama ends but this time that feeling seems much harder to cop because of how realistic the drama and the characters are. I'm so not prepared for next week ;_;

I have a different take about that scene. I think DH feels moved because he realized JiAn has always been with him when he feel vulnerable and lonely the most, when he thought he was completely alone fighting his own battle.  He feel moved because she actually know him, "see" him. She has been always there beside him and given him courage. And he realized she said he was a good man not just because she guessed so but because she actually witnessed how good of a man he is. OFC it's just the thought of a hopeless romantic that is me :DWe only know exactly how he feels when we watch Ep 15. 

@mintea18 I’d love to think that Dong Hoon has become so totally forgiving of Ji An immediately.  However, the pragmatist and realist in me has chosen to rear its ugly, objectice head in episode 14.  She is currently dissecting the details of such episode in a rational way based on data collated from previous episodes.  She is not helping me at all. :D

• Like 4
  • LOL 4

2 hours ago, akhenaten said:

About the scenes when Dong Hoon was holding on to his phone after he found out that he was being bugged through it, I don't know but I didn't see it as him holding that phone lovingly in any way.  What I felt was betrayal and a deep sadness.  He actually cried while he was thinking about all the times he thought Lee Ji An just seemed to read his thoughts and feelings, not realizing that she was listening to every word he said and reading every message he sent or received.  And then they showed him remembering what he said to Yoon Hee the night she admitted to the affair.  To me, it seemed like the scene was showing how hurt and confused Dong Hoon was when he realized that Ji An (who had become his pillar, much like what Yoon Hee was to him once) also betrayed him, and to Do Joon Young as well. Even at the movie theater when he was holding on to that phone, before he said her name into it, what I saw on his face was confusion and anger and sadness because he had given his trust to Ji An completely.  His eyes were still shining with tears then, which shows how deeply hurt he was by what she did.  (One can also say that the depth of his hurt is evidence of how deeply he feels for Ji An.  We are, after all, most hurt by those whom we love best.)

I don't think he's at the stage yet where he can forgive Ji An for what she did because he's not yet cognizant of the full picture behind it.  He's only been made aware of the truth by Joon Young because slimy, manipulating bastard that he is, Joon Young wouldn't have any qualms about ruining Ji An in Dong Hoon's eyes.  Anyway, regardless of her change of heart, Ji An in the beginning did have every intention of using him to get the money that she needed from Joon Young.  He was just a means to an end for her then and if she hadn't fallen for him, she would have gone through with the blackmail because she didn't really care one way or the other.  She just needed Joon Young's money.  But as Seo Choon Dae the garbage man said to him previously, "what's so important about the truth?...our hearts aren't ruled by reason after all".  Dong Hoon will process the facts rationally, but ultimately he must decide with his heart on this one.  

Well i hope he doesn't find her, if that is the case. Run Ji-AN run!

Edit: My brain is so muddled these days, i don't even have the energy to explain my top comment. Enjoying all the analysis though and the different view points. I don't feel like i'll have much to say till the end of the drama.

Edit 2: Watching the drama while reading the comments here made me appreciate the drama a lot more, primarily  because i would have missed a lot of things watching it through my eyes only. i was literally on my third re-watch of episode 14 that i finally saw DH's tears.

• Like 6

I can’t believe we only have two episodes left.  The momentum is still so high! 

I don’t know how I’ll cope next week livestreaming them and getting to see but not understanding exactly what happened.  And it’s gonna be a work day the day after episode 16 airs.  How the hell will I be able to concentrate at work when all I’ll be thinking about is “are the subs out yet”? :crazy:

• Like 8

Apparently the staff has been working for this drama for 6 months, since December. You've worked hard, PD-nim, writer-nim, and all of the actors and production staffs!

So.. fans on My Mister's DC Inside forum are saying that the other cast's last filming is next Monday, while IU's last day of filming is tomorrow / Sunday. I wonder why?? I hope it doesn't mean that she will appear less on the last episode.. No sad ending please..

IU said that episode 15 will be so interesting, episode 16 is great too but episode 15 is even more  :o:o I don't know if she's just saying that because that day is her birthday or not LOL but OMG I'M EXCITED! HYPE LEVEL = UP! IU will have a special episode 15 viewing event on her birthday with her 516 lucky fans.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, popai5 said:

I think it was @chickfactor who mentioned the gang at JH's bar being so excited about YH showing up. I too thought that all the gang yelling 'Mrs. Park' was telling. That reception and mom looking happy for DH and YH emphasized that it would be especially hard for DH to end his marriage to YH. I too believe that the marriage is over but it would take a big bold move from DH for a divorce to happen.

I don't think that was me. :D

I'm not sure they were saying "Mrs. Park." Is that how Dramafever translated it?

I think they were calling her "sa-mo-nim" which is what you call a wife of an "important" person. It's like calling someone Madam or something.

• Like 4

Can I just say how much I love how perceptive but non-judgmental Dong Hoon’s friends are?  When Jung Hee was talking about Ji An happening to pass by that morning and just standing beside her and she said to Dong Hoon “...she's a decent kid. She didn't leave, and stayed by my side. She said that she liked this neighbourhood quite a lot. But when she said that... it sounded more like she was saying that she liked you”, she was just saying it.  Yet I know deep inside, she could sense her dear friend’s inner turmoil and that it echoed Ji An’s own pain that morning.  But she never asked Dong Hoon why because she knows him well enough not to pry.

But that scene broke my heart a little more again.  Oh Ji An and Dong Hoon. Stop talking in circles and just say it! :crazy:

...I hope the PD and writer don’t go all-out anti-KDrama happy endings trope and let Ji An die. Why am I becoming morbid???

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

I don't think that was me. :D

I'm not sure they were saying "Mrs. Park." Is that how Dramafever translated it?

I think they were calling her "sa-mo-nim" which is what you call a wife of an "important" person. It's like calling someone Madam or something.

They were yelling 제수님 (jae su nim) or younger brother’s wife ie sister in law. Since Dong Hoon is younger than them. Only Ki Hoon calls her 형수님 (older brother’s wife or sister in law).

and yup, it got translated as Mrs Park. Well, that’s much shorter.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, justamom said:

They were yelling 제수님 (jae su nim) or younger brother’s wife ie sister in law. Since Dong Hoon is younger than them. Only Ki Hoon calls her 형수님 (older brother’s wife or sister in law).

and yup, it got translated as Mrs Park. Well, that’s much shorter.

Yeah, I kind of hate it when Dramafever does that. It really fails to convey their relationships properly.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, berny said:

Ok i am so gonna rant....

If YH could have an affair and connect herself with someone like this sleazy JY --- what does that make her ?

That recent carpark confrontation of DH and JY... where JY ( who acts all sinister and menacing towards JiAn and even hitting her ) was reduced to a blabbering mess.. he ends up whining like a loser about losing his money and playing the victim... w-hat??? how did this moron became a CEO ??? And YH was infatuated with this guy??  So if DH is really gonna stay by YH side after all this.... major yuck !! :angry:

A MAIN LEAD DYING in the end is sooo CLICHE already.

How would anyone heal, if they're dead??

So all the journey and struggles here are all going to be worthless.

@bernyJust want to note, that your analysis of that car park scene is right on.  DY sniveling to the  husband of his mistress, that he was the victim and betrayed by JiAn was vomitatious.  In a way, though it dignified DH even more (he always had dignity) - at least in his own feelings of being made worthless by YH,  at least this jerk she had the affair with was also betrayed and used by someone who was fighting for DH!   There was some poetic  justice in it.   

I too cannot understand what YH saw in DY, except that she did think he would marry her and he is a CEO, and she was attracted to power.   He climbed the ladder because his x-wife was from a wealthy family. The first thing DH said to Dy was to leave her because he would never marry her, and he told that to YH too.   She really made a fool of herself and dragged her husband through the mud as well.   

Also, I don't see the point of either of the leads dying at the end, especially not Jian. But as you say, if they have saved each other, it makes it all worthless and pointless.  But,  If anyone dies I think it would be DH. Because although they save each other,  DH wanted her to live out her life with dignity.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

Did my ears hear correctly in the episode 15 preview DH calling Ji An's name NOT Lee Ji An-ssi (formal), NOT Lee Ji An (less formal), but Ji An-ah (intimate)? This is progress, right?  Right?  Can anyone confirm that people only do this only when all formality has been shed? 

• Like 8
  • LOL 3

1 hour ago, arctichare said:

I can't even speak about episode 14 right now. I don't have the words, much like Dong Hoon during the phone conversation scene. I'm just reading all of your posts and nodding along.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but tomorrow is the last day of filming for My Mister. IU attended a music festival today and happened to mention it. 

So the end is near, my friends. Not to be dramatic but if Ji An and Dong Hoon are not happy and healthy at the end of the show, I'll burn TVN studios to the ground. But no pressure writer!

That was me for 24+h since Thursday night. I’m still processing to be honest but writing is my way of getting it out.

45 minutes ago, mushroomsoupie said:

Apparently the staff has been working for this drama for 6 months, since December. You've worked hard, PD-nim, writer-nim, and all of the actors and production staffs!

So.. fans on My Mister's DC Inside forum are saying that the other cast's last filming is next Monday, while IU's last day of filming is tomorrow / Sunday. I wonder why?? I hope it doesn't mean that she will appear less on the last episode.. No sad ending please..

IU said that episode 15 will be so interesting, episode 16 is great too but episode 15 is even more  :o:o I don't know if she's just saying that because that day is her birthday or not LOL but OMG I'M EXCITED! HYPE LEVEL = UP! IU will have a special episode 15 viewing event on her birthday with her 516 lucky fans.

Wait a minute why is her hair so long??? If this is her real hair and maybe those scenes were short earlier....Time jump? Or is she wearing a wig?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, akhenaten said:

About the scenes when Dong Hoon was holding on to his phone after he found out that he was being bugged through it, I don't know but I didn't see it as him holding that phone lovingly in any way.  What I felt was betrayal and a deep sadness.  He actually cried while he was thinking about all the times he thought Lee Ji An just seemed to read his thoughts and feelings, not realizing that she was listening to every word he said and reading every message he sent or received.  And then they showed him remembering what he said to Yoon Hee the night she admitted to the affair.  To me, it seemed like the scene was showing how hurt and confused Dong Hoon was when he realized that Ji An (who had become his pillar, much like what Yoon Hee was to him once) also betrayed him, and to Do Joon Young as well. Even at the movie theater when he was holding on to that phone, before he said her name into it, what I saw on his face was confusion and anger and sadness because he had given his trust to Ji An completely.  His eyes were still shining with tears then, which shows how deeply hurt he was by what she did.  (One can also say that the depth of his hurt is evidence of how deeply he feels for Ji An.  We are, after all, most hurt by those whom we love best.)

Thank you for pointing this out. I agree that the flashbacks of YH scenes from DH's perspective were mirroring the betrayal of Jian. Not the same, but has some similarities. He trusted both women and realizing their betrayal was really confusing for him. The best he can do is confront JYD, otherwise he will go crazy.

Watching episode 14 again. The irony? Jian and YH are guilty of betraying DH. However, both women made different decisions regarding that issue. YH decided to stay in hell or purgatory with DH,  while Jian is determined to leave him and say goodbye.  But guess who DH is desperately searching for? In my opinion, DH already made his choice between YH and Jian.

Again, I would also like to point out the difference in DH's anger when it comes to both women. He only punched JYD once because he broke their deal of revealing his knowledge of the affair. DH didn't punch him because he was sleeping with YH. But when JYD said something like sleazy and Jian on the same sentence, DH beat the crap out of him to the ground and split his lips apart. The level of intensity of DH's feelings with Jian can sadly be expressed in those rare moments of violent tendencies. 

There is a talk here with the level of violence that DH is exhibiting but I couldn't agree more with some of the opinions here. The show is really not shy in showing an intense level of physical violence. There is no filter and more like being on the streets. I don't mind it quite honestly because it is just part of the realism. Jian also have the same level of violence by staring at the knives every chance she gets when someone annoys her. The show is displaying the animalistic or the id psychology of human nature. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, timidjock0819 said:

Again, I would also like to point out the difference in DH's anger when it comes to both women. He only punched JYD once because he broke their deal of revealing his knowledge of the affair. DH didn't punch him because he was sleeping with YH. But when JYD said something like sleazy and Jian on the same sentence, DH beat the crap out of him to the ground and split his lips apart. The level of intensity of DH's feelings with Jian can sadly be expressed in those rare moments of violent tendencies. 

There is a talk here with the level of violence that DH is exhibiting but I couldn't agree more with some of the opinions here. The show is really not shy in showing an intense level of physical violence. There is no filter and more like being on the streets. I don't mind it quite honestly because it is just part of the realism. Jian also have the same level of violence by staring at the knives every chance she gets when someone annoys her. The show is displaying the animalistic or the id psychology of human nature. 

I love what you wrote about the way DH's violent tendencies got showcased in the last few episodes.  It made me realize that perhaps the production team was telling themselves that fine, if they could not make DH show his love/affection the conventional way (hugs/kisses/tender words), then they will find a "creative" way, just like the director said in the press conference.  So instead of getting openly affectionate scenes between leads, we get to see DH's rage.  The more intense his rage, the deeper he is expressing his feelings.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, mushroomsoupie said:

Nope nope nope I'm so worried now, are they sure? I hope it doesn't have to do anything with JA's wellbeing, I swear I won't survive if she dies :bawling:

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

22 minutes ago, timidjock0819 said:

Thank you for pointing this out. I agree that the flashbacks of YH scenes from DH's perspective were mirroring the betrayal of Jian. Not the same, but has some similarities. He trusted both women and realizing their betrayal was really confusing for him. The best he can do is confront JYD, otherwise he will go crazy.

Watching episode 14 again. The irony? Jian and YH are guilty of betraying DH. However, both women made different decisions regarding that issue. YH decided to stay in hell or purgatory with DH,  while Jian is determined to leave him and say goodbye.  But guess who DH is desperately searching for? In my opinion, DH already made his choice between YH and Jian.

There's another difference to how he reacted to YH & JA's betrayal. 

YH's - Pretend none of this happened. 

JA's - Confront. Confront. Confront. 

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, anipanch said:

Nope nope nope I'm so worried now, are they sure? I hope it doesn't have to do anything with JA's wellbeing, I swear I won't survive if she dies :bawling:

No, not necessarily.  I think they just want to make the best use of everyone's time, so they shoot things out of order.  They probably shoot all of her scenes in one day, and the next day they shoot all of the other cast members' scenes.  I'm thinking LSK's scenes with his brothers, his mom, his wife, his soccer gang, etc.

• Like 6

I was discussing the show with the husband, who like @sadiesmith‘s also tends to have a seer’s eye when predicting endings and he said, he doesn’t think they’ll end up together. They aren’t meant to be together. 

And...I think he’s right. The whole show isn’t set up as how two people meet and fall in love and get married. It’s about two strangers in the night, who bond through their circumstances and change each other’s lives, but ultimately pass each other by. It’s about this period in Park Dong Hoon’s life, when he met the girl who changed his life.

The hubby thinks PDH wants to know Ji An is happy and settled, living life like a human again. That is what he wishes for her. I say, ptooey, ptooey :confused:

I don’t see how the two of them can orbit around each other again without sparks flying. And I think his real emotions will be revealed as he decides to let everything go in order to get her back. His worries about people knowing his dark secrets and gossiping behind his back. When he decides he won’t care anymore because - really, truly, none of it matters. The only thing that matters is for Ji An to be happy. I think when he lets go—that is when the healing starts.

I also mentioned to hubby that this show reminded me of a certain period in my life, and ahaha he knew exactly who I was talking about :ph34r: man, some of the parallels are uncanny, but that is a story for another time.

• Like 7
  • Sad 3