Quantcast
Go Seung Ji

[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

3 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

I find it absolutely heartbreaking seeing JA constantly wish for DH's happiness, when she barely has anything left in her life. That's why I find her love towards him unconditional and selfless. Boundless compassion and infinite empathy.

Let's think about it, in few years to come, what is she going to do and achieve in her life? At least DH still has his job, family, and constant support from his subordinates at work.

JA only has her grandma. Her future looks dim at the moment, struggling to make ends meet by doing any labour work. No education, no career prospect, no financial stability. Nada. :(

I know some of y'all despise time skips, but at least in terms of JA's future, the show gets to address this. Maybe a glimpse of her finding a new purpose in life aside from taking care of her grandma, enroll her in some night school or something.

Unconditional..boundless compassion and infinite empathy....Wow..this is wonderful, im speechless

• Like 11

38 minutes ago, MinAeRin said:

Unconditional..boundless compassion and infinite empathy....Wow..this is wonderful, im speechless

@mushroomsoupie @MinAeRin  Ji-an love for Ahjussi is unconditional.  His "affection" for her is the same.  Both will have no problem dying if that will help the other.  Both are innately kind, reasonable and intelligent.... and their deep perception of each other is ...awesome!  this reader always root for a 5 years time jump so that we can clearly see the PAIR doing well, with their future secured, and that they can be together...even if they are no longer PAIRed in the future.

As long as their welfare are assured, this reader would still call it a happy (relatively) ending.  Anything else would be the strawberry and icing on the cake!

Here are some suggestions:  1) Ji-an took over the bar and CEO Park Dong Hoon comes there every day to get his energy fix....  2) Ji-an go to school and become a lawyer (that would take 7+ years!) and they meet  again, his being struck by her mature appearance, both exchanging cards... he mentioning that the company needs legal advice and if she can help  3)  Ji-an becomes an engineer and he shows up at her graduation after a long time... they go to have a drink and this time she saves a lady bug, and he says Li Ji-an  (without the ssi)... come back with me.  She smiles and say yes.

Note that lady bug are pretty and cute, yet some people find the poor creature repulsive and scream and swap them from the sky.  Metaphorically Ji-an is a lady bug that people swap away.  Yet she was the one who squashed it!  But its life was not sacrificed in vain....

• Like 11

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

This marriage was dead when the show started. Is the specter of *MARRIAGE* so strong and sacred that people need to see this resurrected somehow? I think marriage is a sacred thing and I respect it. I'm even married to another human being. But that doesn't mean every marriage in the world needs to be preserved against all odds.

That's the impression I got while reading some of the comments on db. There were some comments on this line of thought that, marriage is a lifelong project where things happen and they need to preserve it, for the sake of the sacred relationship. So partners are supposed to be forgiving towards each other. They think that forbearance and patience is key to a successful relationship. Although maybe they feel that's the case since they themselves practice it, I fail to understand the logic behind it. Marriage is sacred sure, but it's not that piece of paper, and that certificate for which you vow to take each other's responsibility, people do it since they love their partners. If the marriage becomes a life sentence which is unbearable for both of them I don't see what's the point behind saving the marriage. 

Btw just watched ep 14 and wow dong hoon cried! I don't care anymore if people even say they are like grandpa and granddaughter lol. I am totally seeing it as a full-blown romance. If we just count the number of times dong hoon think of ji an on ep 14, like how he looks at her empty seat, or how he is still thinking of her at Jung Hee's bar, or when he's at the train, it will make us see that ji an has completely occupied his mind. And then he cries when she calls. If that isn't love, I don't know what is. :/

• Like 21

episode 14 was such a beautiful episode, can't wait till Wednesday:bawling:

poor JY his situation is kinda funny for me:lol:and thanks him for telling the truth to Dong Hoon

• Like 6
  • LOL 5

1 hour ago, MinAeRin said:

I dont know if people who support the adopt/father-daughter relationship are doing it on purpose or.....

uhh..like you said this marriage is dead. Like, i mean...not only YH knows and want it to be but PDH also said it..that he just doesnt know how to end it..how can this be more clearer.

i feel like people thinking that are very young and dont know nothing about relationships or are very naive....like how can one not see the love that DH feels for JA and vice versa??? Do we really have to repeat the same things..about how he treat her so much more fondly than the other employees...how he loses his mind much more harder when its about JA more than he does when its about his wife.....

and by making a big age gap betweeen Ji seok and LJA, i think the writer wanted to make it clear: she is not like a daughter to him 

Unfortunally, I don't think it is a case of naivety. Taking the risk to be "accused" of intolerance, I will say that prejudices cloud people's objectivity and direct their "gaze" to only understand what is happening through the prejudices' lenses. So, the age gap prejudicy plays a strong role in directing the way people watch the drama, this prejudice is fed by the pdnim's statements during the press con, when he said "it is a human drama" and so on. These statements are taken dogmaticaly, without any possibility of questioning, changes and relativization. It is really difficult to free oneself from prejudices, convictions and dogmas. This has nothing to do with age or experience. 

The same drama with a smaller age gap or no age gap at all, played and directed the same way, with the same DH's repressed and ambiguious ways, plus the wife and son, will be considered by almost everyone as a romantic drama about DH-JA love. Almost everybody would agree that DH is completely, deeply, hopelessly in love with JA as she is in love with him. 

I just hope that the prejudice wave towards this drama became unimportant in Korea. For, to me, the only reason why the drama won't express clearly the love between JA-DH would be because they gave in to the pression of prejudices.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, ninaanin said:

Unfortunally, I don't think it is a case of naivety. Taking the risk to be "accused" of intolerance, I will say that prejudices cloud people's objectivity and direct their "gaze" to only understand what is happening through the prejudices' lenses. So, the age gap prejudicy plays a strong role in directing the way people watch the drama, this prejudice is fed by the pdnim's statements during the press con, when he said "it is a human drama" and so on. These statements are taken dogmaticaly, without any possibility of questioning, changes and relativization. It is really difficult to free oneself from prejudices, convictions and dogmas. This has nothing to do with age or experience. 

The same drama with a smaller age gap or no age gap at all, played and directed the same way, with the same DH's repressed and ambiguious ways, plus the wife and son, will be considered by almost everyone as a romantic drama about DH-JA love. Almost everybody would agree that DH is completely, deeply, hopelessly in love with JA as she is in love with him. 

I just hope that the prejudice wave towards this drama became unimportant in Korea. For, to me, the only reason why the drama won't express clearly the love between JA-DH would be because they gave in to the pression of prejudices.

I SICK  WITH ALL FATHER-DAUGHTER issue in this drama, why still bring such groundless reason when there is none.

DH-Jian relationship they could name it anything except this one

when some people insisting father-daughter applying to DH-Jian relationship what i felt"common folk you humiliating such great drama"

2 more episode we will see how brave the writer and PDnim stay true in their concept, many people hide behind their prejudice,religious belief and their personal notions of right and wrong just to look fancy not because they mean it.

Let"s stay cool to greet the revolution of DH and Jian love line.

@tiger457_stv, i racked my brain trying to figure out why i still chocked up, sobbing so much watching the phone booth scene.:bawling:  sure i have no need eyes drop but my consent now how to ease my heart when this drama end next week, when will we meet, can we greet each other warmthly??:blink::)

• Like 9

8 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

I find it absolutely heartbreaking seeing JA constantly wish for DH's happiness, when she barely has anything left in her life. That's why I find her love towards him unconditional and selfless. Boundless compassion and infinite empathy.

Let's think about it, in few years to come, what is she going to do and achieve in her life? At least DH still has his job, family, and constant support from his subordinates at work.

JA only has her grandma. Her future looks dim at the moment, struggling to make ends meet by doing any labour work. No education, no career prospect, no financial stability. Nada. :(

I know some of y'all despise time skips, but at least in terms of JA's future, the show gets to address this. Maybe a glimpse of her finding a new purpose in life aside from taking care of her grandma, enroll her in some night school or something.

Jian and Junghee are the same: full of love to give without anyone wanting to receive it.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, mujay said:

I SICK  WITH ALL FATHER-DAUGHTER issue in this drama, why still bring such groundless reason when there is none.

DH-Jian relationship they could name it anything except this one

when some people insisting father-daughter applying to DH-Jian relationship what i felt"common folk you humiliating such great drama"

2 more episode we will see how brave the writer and PDnim stay true in their concept, many people hide behind their prejudice,religious belief and their personal notions of right and wrong just to look fancy not because they mean it.

Let"s stay cool to greet the revolution of DH and Jian love line.

@tiger457_stv, i racked my brain trying to figure out why i still chocked up, sobbing so much watching the phone booth scene.:bawling:  sure i have no need eyes drop but my consent now how to ease my heart when this drama end next week, when will we meet, can we greet each other warmthly??:blink::)

Of course depends on translation, but the way she said, 'i wait for you bcs i miss you' didn't sound like a daughterly affection at all. And DH's clear awkwardness after that sentence confirms this.

Everytime it's about ahjusshi, she always show expressions i never knew i would see from this character. Shocked, hurt, touched (mostly bitterness, cold, and solemn to everyone around her).

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Sharine Phinisia said:

How is this even a discussion she kissed him, sure it was planned for a photo but DH most likely thought it was because she likes him when shes said it over and over yet he still wants her .. its clearly more then father/daughter . 

• Like 7

For sure, everybody in the company has a twisted mind: how could they suspect that JA-DH relationship is anything other than a father-daughter relationship? How could be that the directors, while preparing DH, didn't see that their relationship is a father-daughter one, therefore it wasn't a problem at all! So obvious and so simple, but people there have really a twisted mind, including DH's team members, who were very worried about it. YJ's opinion doesn't have any value, he is a vilain therefore a priori he has the most twisted mind, what applies to KI too. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 8

I agree with @chickfactor that the storyline has been such that a reconciliation between DH and YH seems extremely unlikely. I also agree that before there can be any talk about a reconciliation about those two, it's important to think through the reasons that led to the adultery. It's a bit simplistic and cartoony IMO to believe that DH and YH can just pick up the pieces when they can't even have a protracted conversation about why their marriage broke down in the first place. I'm relatively new to the drama compared to most so the adultery is quite fresh in my mind. It was always clear to me while watching those early episodes when we saw instances of YH and JY having their tryst that the writer was setting up the end of that marriage which was pretty much a sham, already hollowed out from within. Throughout the drama it was apparent that we saw YH spend more time with JY than she did with DH which should tell us everything we need to know about how that marriage should be understood.

With regards to the whole debate about whether DH and YH should stay together as if they are our relatives or friends, I would think that's moot because this is a piece of fiction set in a broken world inhabited by broken people who are groping around trying to work out what they want from life. If we consider the context and other 21st century realities, marriages ending in divorce even in SK aren't beyond the pale. It's sad and tragic, yes... but it is part and parcel of the human condition.

I love it that tvN is exploring different types of stories with all kinds of relationships... even ones that for a large swath of the audience is hard to compartmentalize. I personally believe that DH and J'A's relationship is one of those. I think it's a relationship that transcends the label "romance" or "paternal" because there are elements of both present as the relationship evolves over the course of the drama. J'A undoubtedly arouses DH's protective instincts but then we see that he arouses her protective instincts of him as well. What she does for him goes beyond the "daughter" role... she is completely devoted to him to the point of self-sacrifice. She does all this because she really loves him with a maturity I seldom see in someone her age. Young people that age are usually thinking about themselves, their goals and their own freedom but J'A seems like an old soul. I'd even go so far as to say that she and YH have swapped roles.

I once knew a couple whereby the male was over twenty years younger than the female. She was a mother figure to him as far as others were able to see but somehow they made it work even with all their emotional baggage until she passed on several years ago.

Humanly speaking it will be very hard to DH to go back to YH after this. He's had a taste of unconditional love, freely given. It will like going back to drinking tap water after drinking fresh spring water.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

I dont think this will happen but what do you think would happen to DH if Ji an died. 

I am very worried that this is indeed the ending we will get.  My husband can somehow predict things accurately, things that took us weeks to discuss, and after episode 14 last night he said emphatically that someone will die.  From the preview I heard Ji An saying that she just wants her ajusshi to be happy, and he tearfully replies that he will.  I imagine it is her death scene.  She has fulfilled her life's purpose of giving someone her boundless, selfless love like @mushroomsoupiesaid, and now she can be reincarnated with a better life.  

As much as I don't like it, I think the events leading up to her death will involve DH working together with YH and in the end her death will somehow restore their relationship.  YH will somehow have atoned for her sin by selflessly trying to get JA back from her run.  We will get a hug finally, first between DH and JA, and then between DH and YH.  

I don't know if that is exactly healing, but I can see the show end this way.  :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

2 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I am very worried that this is indeed the ending we will get.  My husband can somehow predict things accurately, things that took us weeks to discuss, and after episode 14 last night he said emphatically that someone will die.  From the preview I heard Ji An saying that she just wants her ajusshi to be happy, and he tearfully replies that he will.  I imagine it is her death scene.  She has fulfilled her life's purpose of giving someone her boundless, selfless love like @mushroomsoupiesaid, and now she can be reincarnated with a better life.  

As much as I don't like it, I think the events leading up to her death will involve DH working together with YH and in the end her death will somehow restore their relationship.  YH will somehow have atoned for her sin by selflessly trying to get JA back from her run.  We will get a hug finally, first between DH and JA, and then between DH and YH.  

I don't know if that is exactly healing, but I can see the show end this way.  :(

if DH stays with YH i will be really mad not because i ship him with JA but because shes really not good for him. 

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

I hope your husband is wrong this time. 

This is episode 15's preview, right? If it is, then that dialogue will happen then. IMO, it means that she won't die. If it was in episode 16, it could be a possibility. But if is not, even if it happens at the end of episode 15, I think she would survive, if that dialogue means that her life is in danger. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, ninaanin said:

Yeah, but the question is  - why did the writer intentionally make this big age gap. He could be 8 years younger and she could be a few years older, and as you say, no one would blink an eyelash.    Why then?   I am wondering if it is the writer or the PD that made the age so profoundly different?  PD said something about wanting to change the image conjured up by the word "ajoessi" older "uncle" man, which is kind of dodgy and dull.  Perhaps the PD is having a midlife crises.   The story works so well without the big age difference, that it had to be placed there self consciously, either to arouse public interest in the show (no news is bad news) or as a kind of wish fulfillment. 

• Like 7

I think the writer isn't playing with foreshadowing, but with metaphors. The many lifes of JA, her 30.000 years is a metaphor of her bleak, hopeless and tired life, her old soul that makes her feels like she has many many years, that she is already an old person; she doesn't wishing to reborn means she is tired of her life, she is already old and doesn't see any future for her, only the same. The "she still reborns because she does it at the wrong place", means to me that she has no home, she is in fact alone; the "she reborns because she don't let go her hatred and has to love" is almost not a metaphor but a depiction of JH's experience of life. I interprete it as the writer saying that when JA learns to love, she won't be tired anymore, she will metaphoricaly "reborn" (or as christians say: have a new birth) to the right place, therefore she will have a home and love. 

So, when JA said that it doesn't matter anymore if she will reborn, I took this as she saying metaphoricaly that she found life, she found love, she isn't tired anymore, she left the hatred go. 

However there is a more important metaphor to me: JA said that she hated the seasons, including spring, and that to me represents her bleak and hopeless life. But now, the drama shows the spring everywhere, and I think this is a metaphor of JA's current state of mind. Spring is season that brings/means/represents hope, love, new possibilities, happiness, future and life. This promesse is one of life, not one of death (this is winter). Therefore, I'm hoping that the drama will give to us a spring ending, full of hope and love :) . 

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

Yeah, but the question is  - why did the writer intentionally make this big age gap. He could be 8 years younger and she could be a few years older, and as you say, no one would blink an eyelash.    Why then?   I am wondering if it is the writer or the PD that made the age so profoundly different?  PD said something about wanting to change the image conjured up by the word "ajoessi" older "uncle" man, which is kind of dodgy and dull.  Perhaps the PD is having a midlife crises.   The story works so well without the big age difference, that it had to be placed there self consciously, either to arouse public interest in the show (no news is bad news) or as a kind of wish fulfillment. 

I think that the intention is to create interest and to challenge prejudices. It was also not without reason that they chose IU, who had a "controversy" due  - if I'm not mistaken - a work making reference to Lolita. I think much that what the director said was to provoque, mislead and arouse interest. They kept the ambiguity as a game. But I think that they are seeing this work as a challenge. Couple with palatable age isn't really a challenge. The question to me is: will they keep challenging people views untill the end, or will they not be up to the challenge? At least, this is as I understand it.

• Like 10

Another interpretation of the movie theater scene by throughtheendlessdaydream on Tumblr

oh my god I didn’t realize this when I first watched the episode but rewatching the last scene I thought the footage of the train tracks was not really anything… BUT IT ACTUALLY HAS A WHOLE MEANING!

2sHwcy.jpg

tjA2i8.jpg

throughout the series we see Dong Hoon and Ji An taking the train and that’s kind of like a thing between those two cause that’s when they really started connecting with each other. Dong Hoon is usually always stalling by the train tracks in his neighbourhood and just has a moment to himself thinking how miserable his life is but needs to keep going (especially that scene when he slipped on snow but said he can’t die yet, not today and pulls himself up)

Ji An confessed her feelings to Dong Hoon and confronted him about them by the train tracks and it was kind of like a symbol that Dong Hoon knows deep down there’s something he feels for her but can’t just cross that line cause he’s scared and values his family and friends and does not want to cause anything to break it apart (though really Ajusshi you need to divorce your wife man lol sorry but she’s just…nope)

but then they show THIS SCENE of Dong Hoon in the movie theatre, a train track but a footage of going along with the train track and Dong Hoon holding onto his phone like his life depends on it now knowing Ji An has been listening to him all this time, calling out her name and asking her to call him.

I think that within the last two episodes we’re gonna see Dong Hoon chase and find Ji An to help her and confront her and tell her his feelings of what she is to him and that he needs her by his side because those two have such a strong emotional connection that no one else can understand. they are the definition of soul mates. but what’s sad is, the fact Ji An keeps saying she will reborn again and that it’s no big deal is like saying maybe in another life time she and Dong Hoon can meet again and be together (wow cue some Goblin feels) and seeing the broken expression on Dong Hoon’s face you can tell he just wishes the same thing. it’s not the right timing, but maybe if they were both to be reborn again they can finally be together.

WkSCFs.gif

• Like 10
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1