[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

"Ji An, please call"

Sports Choseon

http://sports.chosun.com/news/ntype.htm?id=201805120100099650007450&servicedate=20180511

It was an unprecedented twist of an ending. Lee Seon Gyun  (LSG) turns Lee Ji Eun's (LJE) wiretapping program into a communication device in a dramatic, unconventional ending. How will this change the relationship between LJE, whose past history and wiretapping has all been exposed, and the LSG, who has just assumed the tough role of director.

In episode 14, LJE falls in greater jeopardy as her wiretapping surveillance of LSG is exposed.

On the same day that LSG is appointed director, LJE leaves the company for fear of harming his future and reveals her long supressed emotions.

Upon hearing LSG apologise, LJE answers. "Ahjussi, but why? It's the first time someone has helped me out more than four times. Someone that I like," confessing her longing while tearing. "It's fine if I'm reborn. I think I can be reborn, it's going to be fine. If we were to meet again by chance..." to which LSG asks her "please call me when your grandmas passes on".

Do Joon Yeon starts sweating buckets when he realises the wiretapping backups are all gone. He thinks they are with the police. (Summarised)

Dong Hoon (they switch to his character name here) hears from Jeong Hee about Ji An's feelings. "She said she really likes this neighbourhood. But it sounded like she was talking about you."

He hears again about Ji An's feelings for him from DJY. After leaving his phone in the cinema, he drags DJY out demanding he reveal LJA's whereabouts. "She started everything! She fooled me ... Sunbae you were the one who picked her....She came to my place demanding that I never talk about the affair. The thing she worried about most was that you'd be humiliated!" (truncated for brevity)

Returning to the cinema, PDH picks up his phone again. "Lee Ji An,' he calls. "Lee Ji An, please call me." After thinking he might never see her again and their relationship has ended, PDH discovers he can use the wiretapping program to communicate with her again.

It's a provocative ending that was well-received by audiences. "Every episode is a legend." "Every hair on my body stood up when he used the phone to communicate with her." "This is a really perfect drama, a really well made work", "a spellbinding drama that gives me hope that I (pronoun unclear) can become a good person"--these were some of the praise that came flooding in after the show aired.

(ends with a comment about how titillating the preview is, yes, we all know...)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

Kookje News

http://www.kookje.co.kr/news2011/asp/newsbody.asp?code=0500&key=20180511.99099004680

One of many reviews that commented on how Lee Seung Jae's "Faraway Place" represented Dong Hoon's feelings for Ji An

"Park Dong Hoon may have risen to director, but Ji An's departure weighs heavily on his mind

After their parting, Ji An tries to conceal her true feelings, but Dong Hoon sees through them. 'You must call me', he tells her, making her promise to contact him.

The same day, we hear Lee Seung Jae's "From a faraway place", recorded in his album in 1984.

Its lyrics seem to come straight from Dong Hoon's heart 'Sometimes I remember / a person I miss through the night / thinking hard it's a faraway place / in my hollow empty heart the tears fall endlessly' -- words that ring deep in the audience's hearts."

(me: we aren't the only delulu shippers out there!)

@sadiesmith he doesn't even appear very much in the BTS. The last 2 months I've only seen Park Dong Hoon and not Lee Seon Gyun the actor...

@Kimchi Sweet Potato I love your FMVs!! You have a great music sense and always put the right scenes at the right moments :heart:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Finally.  I have finally watched Episode 14 in all its angsty, gut-wrenching goodness!  :)

There's too much to say I don't know where to start.  So much to take in from just one single episode of this drama.  Nothing is ever wasted.  Not prior scenes from early episodes.  Not one line of dialogue.  Everything is cohesive.  Some people might think the drama is going too slowly or maybe there's too much exposition.  What I can say to those who feel impatient about the development is to hold on because there is method in this madness.  This is a character-driven story and as such, the characters need to be developed well so how the story turns out will make sense. 

For now, while I'm still trying to make sense of my jumbled thoughts, I will just do a shout-out to my new favorite leads, Lee Sun Kyun and Lee Ji Eun.  

Lee Ji Eun, a.k.a.  IU.  Ah, how far you seem to have come!  Lee Ji An seems a long way away from Hae Soo.   And your idol persona seems but a candy-fueled dream.  Your Lee Ji An is everything that's dark and sad and hopeless and I felt all of that.  And I also felt how Ji An started to come alive because of Dong Hoon in the way your face brightened and your eyes started to shine when you looked at him. I could almost feel that dark shroud being lifted slowly from Ji An.  As you fell for Dong Hoon, I felt myself falling with you.  And my own heart ached with your longing.  

And Lee Sun Kyun.  I will always be thankful that I gave this drama a try because in doing so, I discovered your brilliance.  No, you're certainly not oppa material, if by oppa we mean those lead actors whose faces have been so beautified to the point that they no longer seem real.  I will never define you as handsome, not in the conventional sense.  Yet you are so compelling when you're onscreen that I can't take my eyes away from you.  Because of you, Park Dong Hoon became real.  In every little nuance, you made me feel the pain and anguish that Dong Hoon is going through.  Even the slightest movement of your fingers as you hold your phone, or that slight hitch in your breath, even when your back is turned to the camera, I can feel Dong Hoon's emotions radiating from you.

Lee Ji Eun and Lee Sun Kyun.  What you did wasn't acting.  It was becoming.  You didn't portray Lee Ji An and Park Dong Hoon anymore.  You became them and so they became real.  Thank you for choosing to do this drama together.  I wish you well and I really do hope that you get to work together again in much bigger projects soon.  :)       

Hello @justamom  I'm no screenwriter but I can appreciate the sheer brilliance of how this story was written.  It's the very first work of Park Hae-young that I've watched and I bow to her greatness.  :)

Methinks Lee Sun Kyun might be a method actor.  Perhaps he's like Daniel Day-Lewis who immerses himself totally in a character.  In which case, that would explain why he doesn't want to be seen as himself throughout the drama's run so he can keep within character and people only see Park Dong Hoon and not him.  From what I've heard, his real personality is the total opposite of Park Dong Hoon.  I can only imagine how stressful it must be for him to inhabit the character of Park Dong Hoon for how many months.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

I'd be happy with a open-ending after a time jump something like the one in Money Flower. Considering that J'A has done a number of illegal things, I wouldn't be surprised if a short stint in jail is on the cards if she gets caught. For me that's a more likely scenario than a real physical death. 

After what happened in Misty, I'm loathed to make predictions. :wink: But I am wondering what it is about the show that we've seen so far that leads some to believe that impending death is on the horizon. Aside from the obvious candidates like Grandma, Mother Park, or the chairman that is.

Other random thoughts...

For me to accept any kind of reconciliation between DH and YH and a restoration of their marriage, would require me to be far more sympathetic towards YH than I am. In all honesty I can't cheer them on, not while knowing that she was actively engaged in an affair with a man who was her husband's rival. It wasn't as if she'd been sleeping with some random guy she met at a bar to get her physical needs met or a colleague even. But she was involved in undermining DH's position in the company even while on the surface attempting to mitigate things. She was (literally) in bed with the enemy. He can forgive her but can he forget how she was barracking for his biggest rival? I have my doubts. She picked a side and it wasn't his. Is she capable of a repeat performance? Who knows... she seems to be repentant but I'm sure that'll be at the back of his mind.

Of course they can always move on and have an amicable relationship but a marriage repaired?... It would take a miracle of biblical proportions.

The role that Gwang Il plays in the episodes to come will be determinative. What will he do with the evidence? He could erase all the sound files or use it as leverage. In his own savage, dysfunctional way, he probably feels a pang or two for J'A. Will he have the wherewithal to do the right thing by her at last?

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, filmstrip said:

Haha this is totally me right now too. I've just been listening to IU's music nonstop for several days now.

I'm 100% in love with her at this point. I'm also very guilty of putting Lee Sun Kyun's Coffee Prince OST on loop. LO

If a second season isn't possible, and if a LJE-LSK movie isn't gonna happen anytime soon, can we please please PLEASE with cherries on top, at least get an IU music video with Lee Sun Kyun in it. Oh my gosh imagine the chemistry. And they won't even need to be in the same space together :bawling: 

The whole MV could just be them talking over the phone or something oh wait--we have @Kimchi Sweet Potato FMVs for that ❤️.

Aigoo. I'm gonna have a hard time getting over this pairing. Or really more like these two characters. Looks like I'll really have to get that My Ahjussi DVD :lol: 

@filmstrip YESSSS!!!! I want an IU song that's inspired by the drama and LSK in it.  Or it doesn't have to be inspired by the drama but he's still in it with her.

Crap.  I don't know what kind of magic these two actors have employed.  I usually just move on from an onscreen pairing but theirs is just so...I can't describe it, really.  Their chemistry - this is such an overused word but I don't know what else to call it - is off the charts.  I think it's the main reason why this became a hit and why many viewers were convinced that Park Dong Hoon and Lee Ji An should be together, despite the utter lack of romantic scenes between them.   The writing is stellar and the directing and editing is amazing but all of that will come to nothing if the actors are lousy and have no connection onscreen.  LSK and LJE have it in spades!  I read a comment somewhere that said if LSK weren't already married, he/she would ship them in real life so bad and I understood where the comment was coming from.  Not that I would condone LSK (or anyone married for that matter) to leave his family and go with LJE.  But the point I'm driving at is that such reaction from viewers is very telling.  That only goes to show that the difference in ages of these two actors doesn't even factor into the minds of those who think that they're perfect together onscreen.   Chemistry is chemistry.  If you have it, you have it and no matter what others may say, it will show.  You don't even have to say anything onscreen together. You just stand alongside each other and walk in silence.  If you don't have it, then no amount of skinship or romantic scenes onscreen can convince people that you're perfect for each other.   :) 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, akhenaten said:

Eh?  How do I delete a post?  :blink:

Only the moderator can :ph34r:.

Wow, all the heavy stuff in the thread...  What an amazing thing that a drama can do to us... :)  Everyone has his or her own perspective of thing that has happened and thing that is going to happen.  Some might agree and some might disagree with each perspective and by understanding both sides we  are able to enrich our own perspective.   :ph34r:  

Credit to the owner.

One more week... in order for us to know what the writer has planned.   Looking forward to the finale...

• Like 6

8 hours ago, justamom said:

He can’t even hug his mom but he can caress his phone with such desire and longing :huh:

@justamom Someone mentioned here before that DH is not a hugger. I don't think this is true, as he didn't hesitate to hug his teammates. I feel what might be the case here is: if I hug her, she will know I'm still unhappy. Silly ahjussi. Mothers know just by looking at your face! Try as he might by putting up a facade, and a fort between him and his mom, we know that it is him she's constantly worried about. Not weird KH, not childish SH. 

7 hours ago, loveandpeace09 said:

@ccl82 This is a nice thought :)... I also thought could GI be jealous of JA sweet talking to Ahjussi and realised that it should have been GI in the first place when things were better and he loved her. Or was it a kind of screwed up admiration he had for JA for how good she can be in moving her ahjussi with her words after all she has gone through in GI's hands...it was actually difficult to decipher the exact emotion in his expression when he was listening to the recordings. :mellow:

Let ahjussi's voice recording (or just his voice, haha) do its magic, and heal this child! Let's not forget that like JA, GI too had a rough childhood. And maybe GI will play that part where DH was talking about troubled kids who grow up too fast. 

Actually I'd like to correct myself: I meant to say mentorship, not parent-child relationship. 

5 hours ago, dhplsa said:

Did anyone notice that at the end of Ep 14 when DH told JA to call him, the camera pans out and we see that water is boiling in the jug??? Nice touch there, I must say!!

I noticed it too! Someone pointed out the electricity sign's meaning, which is great coz I had no idea why they showed us that shot. I thought maybe she had waited for him there once.... 

-- Regarding the brothers, I love their dynamics. Both SH & KH are helping DH in their own way. The latter gets DH to open up and lay his feelings bare (while DH half-jokingly said yeah he's sad he can't mention the monk, I don't think the old DH would even acknowledge JH's question). KH's method may seem OTT, but unless DH's shaken to the core, someone like him will just continue to live his miserable life. As for SH, I think he will be the one to say to DH: "It's ok. If giving up your position/ marriage will make you happy, please do it. I'll take care of the family from now on." This is the greenlight DH needs. 

-- Pretty sure DH continues to look all doom and gloom @ home, and me thinks it is YH who will bring up JA.

-- I love the give and take nature of DH-JA's relationship. "Buy me food", check; "buy me slippers", check, "lemme give you a hug", can't check this yet, but it will happen, believe! ("I'm already energized, thank you" Read: Coz all I need is to see you, thank you very much)  :glasses: 

-- Interesting that DH's first instinct is to call JH (to check on JA), and it's revealed later in the day, indeed JA did drop by the bar. 

-- Can someone help me with this scene: 

One translation reads: She took my money, betrayed me and she was on your side.
But another reads: She took my money, betrayed me, and flirted with you. 

Which is the correct one? I would think the second option, based on DH's reaction, i.e. punching JY. 

• Like 13

@akhenaten

I am so loving your posts and comments.   Two actors of different generations, an unlikely pair, but together they are so amazing. so beautiful and sweet.

I have seen a movie and drama of LSK before so i kinda have an idea how he is as an actor. Yes truly brilliant.

It is LJE that really, really surprised me this time.  I have been a fan of her for the longest time, i've watched all the drama she's been in, but my goodness her improvement in MA in terms of acting is so amazing.  That telephone booth scene where non-stop her tears are flowing, and she had to pause because of the pain in her heart ( really so emotional moment, that made me think really hard, who hurt you IU? or what happened that you are like this? and i kinda hurt in my heart too).

Anyway, really hoping for a "reasonable" ending so that all the awesomeness of this drama will not go to waste.

And it would be really, really wonderful if LSK and LJE will be able to work together on another project soon.

• Like 13

about DH not a hugger, the scene with the mom actually does not give him the chance to hug back as the mom wrapped all her hands into his entire body and hands, his hands actually rising 45 degree before the mom push the hand down with the hug angle.. although there are some grown up son/daughter who really likes hug n kiss their parents all the time..

i dont know, i rather man not to be so clingy huggy kissy to their parents especially when they already grown up.. :) 

so i approve DH action of not being too huggy2... haha.. whatever just posting all the nonsense till next wednesday i guess, what else... 

• Like 7
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

About the scenes when Dong Hoon was holding on to his phone after he found out that he was being bugged through it, I don't know but I didn't see it as him holding that phone lovingly in any way.  What I felt was betrayal and a deep sadness.  He actually cried while he was thinking about all the times he thought Lee Ji An just seemed to read his thoughts and feelings, not realizing that she was listening to every word he said and reading every message he sent or received.  And then they showed him remembering what he said to Yoon Hee the night she admitted to the affair.  To me, it seemed like the scene was showing how hurt and confused Dong Hoon was when he realized that Ji An (who had become his pillar, much like what Yoon Hee was to him once) also betrayed him, and to Do Joon Young as well. Even at the movie theater when he was holding on to that phone, before he said her name into it, what I saw on his face was confusion and anger and sadness because he had given his trust to Ji An completely.  His eyes were still shining with tears then, which shows how deeply hurt he was by what she did.  (One can also say that the depth of his hurt is evidence of how deeply he feels for Ji An.  We are, after all, most hurt by those whom we love best.)

I don't think he's at the stage yet where he can forgive Ji An for what she did because he's not yet cognizant of the full picture behind it.  He's only been made aware of the truth by Joon Young because slimy, manipulating bastard that he is, Joon Young wouldn't have any qualms about ruining Ji An in Dong Hoon's eyes.  Anyway, regardless of her change of heart, Ji An in the beginning did have every intention of using him to get the money that she needed from Joon Young.  He was just a means to an end for her then and if she hadn't fallen for him, she would have gone through with the blackmail because she didn't really care one way or the other.  She just needed Joon Young's money.  But as Seo Choon Dae the garbage man said to him previously, "what's so important about the truth?...our hearts aren't ruled by reason after all".  Dong Hoon will process the facts rationally, but ultimately he must decide with his heart on this one.  

• Like 13

16 hours ago, popai5 said:

For those wishing to see 'more' of LSK look for the film 'Paju'. In the early scenes you get to see his bare behind as he makes love. Don't know if it is him or a body double though. I don't remember him from 'Coffee Prince' but I enjoyed him in 'Pasta' and 'Miss Korea'. I watched 'Paju' because he was in it. Good performance. Similar dark, gritty and realistic setting. He has a relationship with his dead wife's younger sister. Strange plot/relationship but an interesting film.

On to MA. Having the ability to share our ideas here really helps me to survive between episodes. Thanks to all of you so much!!!

These previews are so frustrating. The little tidbits are great since we get some glimpse into the new episodes but we don't get the full picture so we have to guess what is actually happening. The extra preview we got for ep 13 with the 3 brothers in the taxi and JA texting DH was great. It got us thinking whether or not DH had found out about JA's wiretapping. But what made me confused was why she texted 'it's nothing' after she texted 'good luck on your interview tomorrow'. It didn't make sense to me until DH was talking to his brothers and mentioned that their father used to tell them that but DH now has nobody to tell him that. It was so meaningful after learning  that. The previews for ep 15/16 don't make me feel too good. Can't wait for the full episodes to change my feelings (like they usually do).

@ccl82 and I think @timidjock0819 mentioned that DH's mom knows that DH wasn't happy at the celebration at JH's bar. Mom is very intuitive and when she was thanking and apologizing to YH I had a sense that she might suspect that something is off in the marriage.

She was proud of and happy for DH but she also seemed a little sad.

I think it was @chickfactor who mentioned the gang at JH's bar being so excited about YH showing up. I too thought that all the gang yelling 'Mrs. Park' was telling. That reception and mom looking happy for DH and YH emphasized that it would be especially hard for DH to end his marriage to YH. I too believe that the marriage is over but it would take a big bold move from DH for a divorce to happen.

Like @sadiesmith and @aisling both said about having bad feelings about YH's involvement in the search for JA, I too felt that scene was not helpful in terms of DH and JA having a happy ending. But after reading some comments maybe this will be her final act/gift to DH before leaving for the US after separating from DH.

The phone booth conversation was so intense. When JA said she was going to hang up now I so wished that DH said something. Something like 'don't hang up yet' or 'I have something more to say to you' or 'come back'. Something. I know, he was just not ready to say anything more or he isn't the type to say anything but he could have given us even an 'uhm'. Something.

I was going to write something about what @justamom wrote but I don't understand the note that I wrote. Something about 'would P come back' If anyone knows what I might have wanted to say please help me remember. Thanks.

One thing I do want to add is that in many Asian cultures the number 4 is bad luck like the number 13 in Western cultures. I noticed JA talking about 'being nice to her 4 times'. The subway station that DH and JA get off at to go home is station 4 (can see it when JA is running to find DH and he is across the street and she pulls out her earphones). And being born in 1974 would make DH 44 this year in Western age and still 44 is Korean age if it isn't his birthday yet. Plus all the talk about rebirth and not belonging to this world makes me think not good thoughts. But, I will believe in the promotional posters from the show showing the 3 brothers and JA all laughing together. Please don't make posters like that if things like that don't even come close to happening! So, since DH was nice to JA more than 4 times and if they move and live where they get off at station 8 (a lucky number) and DH has a birthday soon and becomes 45 then all will be well!

Regarding the slippers and DH being 'all in' ha-ha. I didn't recognize the slippers in DH's new office being the same ones as the one JA gave him. I had to rewind and make sure they were the same. Also, I thought I saw a little sticky note on the left slipper. Maybe a note JA wrote which made DH run wild looking for her after he read it but alas it was only the manufacturer's tag. I saw the tag when I replayed the scene. I also didn't think he would wear them but was so happy when he did. Too bad JA was not there to see it.

Oh, when DH's son texted back saying he wanted a bigger allowance that was so cute and funny. Something intentionally funny in such a heavy two episodes.

@popai5  Thanks for the information about his previous work.   Will try to see coffee prince (not sure what it is about...a prince who like latte???) but so many people have commented favorably so will see.  this reader greatly enjoys Miss Korea.  Has not tried Pasta, but may be later...at  a restaurant!

As for Paju????  Maybe too cheeky for me!....Hahaha

you mention @chickfactor mention that the gang was happy that lawyer shows up.  they probably has not seen her since her marriage so sure they would be happy to see her..initially.  But you notice that her interaction with them was awkward, and the party did not truly become lively, until, she left!.... Driving home in her successful lawyer car, she cries knowing that it is all over, that there is nothing to salvage....while the camera panned back to the party where her husband sings about how he miss someone far away with heavy heart while that some one was listening to him, lived!!!  If wify lawyer has listened to that song instead of "that someone far away", she would probably have crashed her car!

This reader's radar says... she will file for divorce, knowing that Engineer Dong Hoon wouldn't/couldn't do so even if his life/love depends on it.  Beside he is boring and only like slippers... who would want to hang around with such a boring engineer???!!!!

Soompi members @aisling @sadiesmith   worry that the Soompi ship won't make it (how do the members phrase it...Delulu island) to the happy paradise that make Soompier jump up and shout with joy.  Don't worry, the ending is likely to be good.  just keep hope...and pray hard!  At minimum, this reader thinks that Ji-an will be able to stay in HER NEIGHBORHOOD with the GANG.  As for (skinship??), hopefully some shipping but no skin please!... This reader would have a stroke or heart attack while other soompier cheer!...

You said number 4 is bad luck...Engineer Dong hoon would say 44 is 11 times worse!

Regarding the slippers... Engineer Dong Hee loves them!  He actually put them on!  If Ji-an is a wild kitten, then he is an overgrown great dane..puppy!

So listen to this reader advice, go get a beer, cheer and ....PRAY HARD for a GREAT ENDING!!!!

PS:  Second thought.  If you don't remember what @justamom said, maybe you should cut out the beer and drink root beer instead!

• Like 5
  • LOL 5
  • Thanks 1

I need you to know that no matter what happens, it was worth it to me. Being with you, loving you. It was all worth it. 
Jenny Han

Perfect for our most romantic, non-romantic non-couple, isn't it?  :)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, akhenaten said:

About the scenes when Dong Hoon was holding on to his phone after he found out that he was being bugged through it, I don't know but I didn't see it as him holding that phone lovingly in any way.  What I felt was betrayal and a deep sadness.  He actually cried while he was thinking about all the times he thought Lee Ji An just seemed to read his thoughts and feelings, not realizing that she was listening to every word he said and reading every message he sent or received.  And then they showed him remembering what he said to Yoon Hee the night she admitted to the affair.  To me, it seemed like the scene was showing how hurt and confused Dong Hoon was when he realized that Ji An (who had become his pillar, much like what Yoon Hee was to him once) also betrayed him, and to Do Joon Young as well. Even at the movie theater when he was holding on to that phone, before he said her name into it, what I saw on his face was confusion and anger and sadness because he had given his trust to Ji An completely.  His eyes were still shining with tears then, which shows how deeply hurt he was by what she did.  (One can also say that the depth of his hurt is evidence of how deeply he feels for Ji An.  We are, after all, most hurt by those whom we love best.)

Here's what I see. 

Holding the phone on the street post-wiretapping discovery: Feeling betrayed, hurt & humiliated, he sheds a tear

Holding the phone pre-JY confrontation: Feeling determined to know the truth

Holding the phone post-JY confrontation: Now that he knows the truth, the way he holds it is different. Wheels are turning in his head... this phone is now confirmed to be his only way to reach JA (number not in the directory? HAH TAKE THAT OPERATOR!). Feeling scared yet determined, he utters her name and urges her to call him. 

Also wanna add, for those who think  DH-JA relationship is that of a father-daughter, I dunno about you but if this was my dad, he wouldn't ask me to call him like this. More likely: 

YOU UNGRATEFUL LITTLE TURD. YOU BUGGED MY PHONE? GET YOUR A** HOME RIGHT THIS INSTANCE! 

• Like 3
  • LOL 9

50 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

I don't think he's at the stage yet where he can forgive Ji An for what she did because he's not yet cognizant of the full picture behind it.  He's only been made aware of the truth by Joon Young because slimy, manipulating bastard that he is, Joon Young wouldn't have any qualms about ruining Ji An in Dong Hoon's eyes.  Anyway, regardless of her change of heart, Ji An in the beginning did have every intention of using him to get the money that she needed from Joon Young.  He was just a means to an end for her then and if she hadn't fallen for him, she would have gone through with the blackmail because she didn't really care one way or the other.  She just needed Joon Young's money.  But as Seo Choon Dae the garbage man said to him previously, "what's so important about the truth?...our hearts aren't ruled by reason after all".  Dong Hoon will process the facts rationally, but ultimately he must decide with his heart on this one.  

@akhenaten  This reader agree with your last part.... Dong hoon will process the facts rationally, but ultimately he must decide with his heart on this one... (about forgiving Ji-an).

I think he already forgive her...  He is very rational man.  He truly believe in her, and not knowing the entire conversation between Ji-an and CEO, he would not believe that she offered to take the PARK team (manager and director) down for money.  He believes that CEO, being a weasel lie about that part to make people feel sorry for him.  He knows how desperately she was for money to pay back the loan shark who savagely beat her up times and times again.. so he understood why she did it, but he thinks that she was coerced into it.  Please remember that Engineer Dong Hoon, does not mind sacrificing himself for others, since he think (like the building built at the wrong site) that he shouldn't be born.  Would he feel hurt... of course. but he knows she is sincere when she told him that he is good.. because she saw into his inner thought...his secrets and angst that no other human ever saw...and judged him good.

It is as if she is a mirror where he can see his reflection, and the sound wave of his inner thought can be analyzed by that other in the mirror.. it says "cheer up... you are good".

So this reader thinks he won't throw a massive fit like the wife betrayal episode 11/12.  No door pounding this time, just a few soft questions.... this reader hopes that Ji-an will tell him EVERYTHING, including how she volunteered to take him down!  I'm sure she will...and Engineer admiration for her will increase....  (they are similar, very direct, especially to each other, no held punch).

The hard part is the emotional, limbic side (you call that a heart)... Can he take the leap into the unknown and let his emotion carries the day, or will he analyze it to dead!   this reader feels for him.... If I am in his slippers, this reader doesn't know what to do either!!!

• Like 10

On 5/11/2018 at 3:07 AM, justamom said:

I just caught up on Drama Beans commentary and I’m like what? Are we watching the same show? :confused:

Still backreading and processing my thoughts. Was waiting to finish reading before I shared my comments. But I had to reply to this one: As per my sister, the dramabeans people must be watching a weekend makjang where the leads coincidentally happen to be called Dong Hoon and Ji Ahn.

• LOL 9

8 hours ago, noor1 said:

thats a good way to basically leave it neutral i would be sort of fine with that but i still want some confession from DH.

7 hours ago, nearsea said:

yeah boo to open ending.

3 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

i wont mind a time jump if they meet after the time jump, like she has to go away due to her crimes then hes waiting for when she gets out and they both start crying and hug and thats the end. 

1 hour ago, akhenaten said:

He could be hurting because she listened to all his pains and fears etc.., his confrontation with his wife he could be worried what she thinks.  Also could be moved because shes always been with him?, and she knows him best who really knows what he thinks.

I do think he was holding his phone different post confrontation. 

I think hes already forgiven her , he does not seem that angry yet but maybe he will be angry when they meet.

• Like 6

Just finished watching Ep 13, 14 and I'm sitting in front of my laptop, dumbstruck and blown away by how engaging, emotional and powerful the drama is. The hopeless romantic in me just want to see JiAn throw herself into DH's arms then he hug her as tightly as he can... I'm a bit angry cause the "subtle" romance we have right now is all because of the prejudice about the age gap. If not, I believe DH would have said "JiAn, I like you too!" by now. His acts are so obvious that he is in love!

Can't wait to the final Eps but at the same time I'm so not prepared for it. Sure I will have that weird feeling when my favorite drama ends but this time that feeling seems much harder to cop because of how realistic the drama and the characters are. I'm so not prepared for next week ;_;

On 12/5/2018 at 7:54 PM, akhenaten said:

I have a different take about that scene. I think DH feels moved because he realized JiAn has always been with him when he feels vulnerable and lonely the most, when he thought he was completely alone fighting his own battle.  He feel moved because she actually know him, "see" him. She has been always there beside him and given him courage. And he realized she said he was a good man not because she guessed so but because she actually witnessed how good of a man he is. OFC it's just the thought of a hopeless romantic that is me :DWe only know exactly how he feels when we watch Ep 15. 

• Like 14