[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

5 hours ago, akhenaten said:

I just read now that the Korea Communications Standard Commission issued an official warning to My Ahjussi for the violence in the scene between Kwang Il and Lee Ji An.  The article claims that “many viewers” found it oo gruesome.

I honestly don’t understand this.  That scene was not gratuitous in any way.  It was meant to establish a key point in the story: the psychology and dynamics of Kwang Il and his relationship with Ji An.  And it also underscored the extent of the emotional and psychological trauma that Ji An has suffered, to allow this man to beat her up because it alleviates her guilt for the murder of his father.  And because she thinks she deserves it as punishment for her crime.  

My goodness! Talk about narrowmindedness! Thank god this wasn’t shown on the mass networks like MBC or KBS. Or else we’ll probably get that father-daughter ending and Kwang Il will miraculously transform into a docile loverboy. Guh.

@akhenaten 

Yeah totally agree with you. 

BTW I PMed you about 12 hours ago but you haven’t read the message. 

• Like 2

About dying as an ending and interpretations of rebirth

Reborn, rebirth, what does that mean.... let us put into context how viewers have been interpreting the drama differently according to their views of marriage, age gap, romance etc. and here I am going to include the view of rebirth. Rebirth could mean different things to different people that rebirth does not necessarily mean dying physically and being reborn physically, but it could mean psychological, mental, experiential, mindset death to a new way of seeing and therefore leading to new experiences and a new way of life, renewal. For example, the bar scene celebration of DH promotion. Here occurred some rebirths. When sister in law shocked Jung Hee into moving on. When Jung Hee finally sung the thick lipstick song is a kind of rebirth for her.  A new beginning, new possibilities. The death of an old clinging. YH realizing that DH has moved on emotionally, that he loved JA and time for her to move on, the tears she shed as she was driving away from the old neighborhood to somewhere new were the tears of farewell and letting go of a dead marriage, a dead alliance. DH has his dose of rebirths from the time he found out of his wife's marital cheating, the time he had encountered Ji An, to his talk with his monk friend in the mountain, Ji An had many such moments with DH as she is slowly realizing her self-worth. The movie train tracks where the main character commits suicide and says he wants to go back but he can't go back but that moment he realizes that is a moment of rebirth like being struck by lightning.... an epiphany. It is also said that the movie depicts the many changes in the history of Korea which to me represent change and renewal such as changes in the mores, beliefs and attitudes of a neighborhood. DH once said to the monk, everybody lives that way, and whatever "that way" is defined, will also be changing. So it could be that the writer is clueing to a change, renewal and new way of thinking and living an inspired life for all the characters without physically dying. I might be very wrong, but I just hope death will not be and is not the ending resolution. Because.....

At the bar, DH sings the song expressing his longing for a love that seemed so unreachable it breaks the heart but at the ending of episode 14 at the movie theater and at the ending of the movie he is holding on to his phone for dear life, he speaks to Ji An directly and calls her name and there we go... THAT IS TRAIN MOWING, THE LIGHTNING STRIKING, THE BIG REBIRTH....he  had made a decision and is going all the way for his love and there is your ALL or NOTHING...(my interpretation). Yet the ending is still unsure... if it ends with Ji An and Dong Hoon togetherness 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

qPW2CS.jpg

Lee Seung Jae - Far Away

이승재 - 아득히 먼곳

Where the cold wind blows away

I have not left my heart

Where the clouds are dark

I did not leave my fears

Ah When you think about it

There's someone I missed

It's far from the point of view

I'm tearful in my heart

Where the golden evening glows

Love does not stay, either.

A lakeside green forest in a cozy place

I do not stay.

There's someone I missed.

It's far from the point of view.

I'm tearful in my heart

This song has been haunting my mind ever since Dong Hoon sang it... My heart is broken for these two souls. I can't imagine the pain that Ji An feels, hearing the love of her life singing this song, as if portraying the reality that they're not fated to be together in this lifetime.  :(

• Like 9
  • Sad 5
  • Thanks 2

A news article from earlier today. I'm glad it's only a warning and not anything more severe. 

'My Mister' receives warning for the controversial IU-Jang Ki Yong violent scene

The Korea Communications Standards Commission officially issued a warning for the controversial scene in tvN drama 'My Mister'.

In the first episode of 'My Mister', the main character named Lee Ji An played by IU was seen severely getting beat up by the character named Gwang Il played by Jang Ki Yong. Many viewers filed complaints, stating the scene was too gruesome. 

After review, KCSC stated that dramas, unlike movies need to be more cautious in their portrayal of violence. KCSC also pointed out 'My Mister's poor depiction of a woman in danger and how it could cause fear in society.

Ultimately, tvN received an official warning for violating broadcast rules. Meanwhile, 'My Mister' is scheduled to air its last episode next week on May 17.

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2018/05/my-mister-receives-warning-for-the-controversial-iu-jang-ki-yong-violent-scene

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, not1but3 said:

:blush:

Ok I have to agree he's actually 'fondling' the phone!!! :tounge_wink:

@justamom said He can’t even hug his mom but he can caress his phone with such desire and longing 

@not1but3 said:  Ok I have to agree he's actually "fondling the phone!!!".... 

what you both  means is 50 Shades of Samsung!

• LOL 12

31 minutes ago, berny said:

I HAVE A QUESTION..

Does tvN also have a year-end drama awards night? like MBC, SBS, KBS

I think there is an year-end drama awards night for TVN

On my wish list :

Daesang for Best Actor - Kim Sun-Kyun

Daesang for Best Actress - IU

Best Supporting Actor - Song Sae Byeok (Ki Hoon)

Best Supporting Actress - Nara (Yura)

Best Drama Serial - My Mister

Best Director

Best Screenplay

Best cinematography

Best Sound Editing (for all the heavy sensual  breathing & the busy footsteps)

Best Song : There's A Rainbow

Special Award for the cast ensemble

• Like 8

1 hour ago, berny said:

I HAVE A QUESTION..

Does tvN also have a year-end drama awards night? like MBC, SBS, KBS

Correct me if I'm wrong but year 2016  they have when reply series got lots of awards but last year they don't I think don't know why? :( i don't know this year though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Random thought.

I got hit with a bad cold this morning and haven't been able to be awake and have coherent ideas most of the day.

I watch episode 13, fully awake (I think) and episode 14 during fitful sleep.

Ki-Hoon is just awful.  If the drama had ended at #13 he would have been the character I disliked the most, even more than DY.

KH is that friend you never share your challenges with because they will make it about them and you will have to spend your time comforting them over how much pain YOUR illness is causing them.  You only tell them things when you have gotten over it. Even then they will berate you for hiding your pain from them, because it is always about them.

KH refusal to respect people's boundary just make me want to reach into the screen and shake him.  His continued questioning of YH regarding the details of his brother marital life was one of the rudest things I've ever seen.  KH lack of respect fo DongHoon's boundaries was unbearable.  I was glad when DH hit him.  I wish he'd hit him more. 

**side note: the fight choreography and the filming of it was well done, especially during the beatdown of DY in fourteen.

SH was shown well.  His response and KH's response was tied to their temperament and experiences.He's been married, and I think unfaithful, He understand how hard marriage is Whether or not DH should forgive YH is up to him, but at least SH is making him aware that option is available while not pushing his view with the aggression of KH.

Ae-Ryun was marvelous today.  The closest to happy I've seen her as she took her place in the social life.  Everyone must be surprised when DH admitted it was hard not to have access to his best friend and not to be able to talk about his loss because JH's loss took up so much space. 

I still don't see romance, but I don't quite know exactly how to categorize the relationship between JiAn and DH.  I'll know by #16.  I do think that JiAn loves DH.  What exactly is her love I can't say.  It may be romantic or a duckling for a duck, who knows.  I definitely don't see romance from DH. But maybe he's showing it in a particularly Korean way that I don't understand.

I don't usually have issues with age gaps in romance.  What I have issues with is if one person in the relationship isn't a fully formed adult or when there is an asymmetrical power dynamics. 

#13 really showed the advantage and drawbacks of small town living, 1) everybody knows your name, keep track of your activity and worries when you are not where you should be, 2) no freaking privacy.

I'm not sure what will happen to DongHoon marriage.  The celebration was a reminder that YH has never found her footing in the neighborhood community.  I think SoYoon has shown YH respect in way that has alienated YH from the community and YH has not has the skills or spirit to fight for a place. Perhaps DH doesn't know how to help YH integrate and isn't interested in having her do so

I really don't know what happen in #14.  I think it strengthened my admiration for Chief Song.  I like him.

From the previews I wondered if the healing is about Donghoon coming out into the light and sharing his pain until it doesn't matter if folk know the details of stuff that is embarrassing.   If that is the lesson he might be able to reconcile with YH.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, tiger457_stv said:

@mujay

You're not the only one.... Some other engineer also choked up seeing Engineer Dong Hoon barely able to say Yeah, when asked if they will greet each other warmly when they meet again!   Thank god that farewell turns out to be premature because that was supposed to be the end for them!   this reader won't tell you who is the engineer who choked up with that scene and the last scene, though!

@Wotad

I think we have a pretty good hunch who that engineer is ... whi-hi hi teehee-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif

He particularly loves "electricity"...:tongue:

• Like 3
  • LOL 7

I hope Ep. 16 is longer than usual - like the first episode was (1 hr 27min.) unless they plan on having a special episode. Just make the last episode longer than usual. 

There's a bit of a conundrum for the writer / director isn't there? How to end it? What to do? Show that men and women can experience support and acceptance from one another without jumping all over each other or the opposite. Show that men and women can learn from each other and their mistakes and become better people or the opposite. Show that two people with nothing in common on the surface can get together and be happy or the opposite. Show that fractured relationships can be mended or the opposite. Show that love solves all problems or the opposite. Show that selfishness is a good thing or the selflessness. Show that a person can write a new chapter at 44 or re-arrange the old one. Maintain the artistic integrity of ambiguous relationship or give it a name.  

The only thing that gives me hope for a feel-good ending is that these two, i.e. DH and Ji-An, both think they are unlovable creatures and they mean the world to each other. He's a guy, she's a girl. When looked like that, it's a no-brainer.

As these comments on kissasian site for Ep. 14 suggest: 

Sara  19 hours ago 

For Park Dong Ho I can say that he also loves Lee Ji An, maybe as a lover, maybe as a friend or just as a human being. But losing her, she who really understands him, would be a big loss, therefore I hope he stands up and makes things right so they be together again. It would be such a shame if they lost contact so please the writers don't let them lose contact..!!

UnaSpenser  12 hours ago

They each show how readily one will face one's greatest fears if there is just one person in your life that you feel sees you and accepts you as you are.

As long as DH gets to work with Ji-An in the same office or see her regularly (whether he's divorced or not), shippers can continue to hold their fort and non-shippers can see it as they want to. That would also mean the safe route as opposed to the brave unapologetic one. Another conundrum!

Let's see what happens. I think we are all brave enough - like DH and Ji-An - to withstand anything! Dammit!

• Like 14

Cool ! Engineer Park Dong Hoon sang a song in ep 14. i really love his voice so much.

I'd love to introduce him to this brilliant singer/musician, IU. maybe they can do a collaboration.

:tongue::)

• Like 5
  • LOL 8

2 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

Lee Seung Jae - Far Away

이승재 - 아득히 먼곳

Where the cold wind blows away

I have not left my heart

Where the clouds are dark

I did not leave my fears

There's someone I missed

It's far from the point of view

I'm tearful in my heart

Where the golden evening glows

Love does not stay, either.

A lakeside green forest in a cozy place

I do not stay.

There's someone I missed.

It's far from the point of view.

I'm tearful in my heart

This song has been haunting my mind ever since Dong Hoon sang it... My heart is broken for these two souls. I can't imagine the pain that Ji An feels, hearing the love of her life singing this song, as if portraying the reality that they're not fated to be together in this lifetime.  :(

@mushroomsoupie  this reader think that is a public declaration by a man who is too scrupulous to declare formally.  Note that he sang this song after Lawyer wife has gone home.  Before she left he was very restraint in his manner, and when he said goodbye to the wife, he spoke to her as if saying goodbye to a stranger without any emotion.   After wife is gone, then the party get lively and Engineer Dong Hoon decided to sing.   He picked the song, not someone else....and what a song!  It speaks of staying up all night because of someone I miss.  My heart is drenched with tear, since it's a very far away place, I cannot think.   One thing for sure... he did not sing/declare to his wife!  and his wife knew that... when she drove away, she had tear rolling down her cheeks.

48 minutes ago, berny said:

Cool ! Engineer Park Dong Hoon sang a song in ep 14. i really love his voice so much.

I'd love to introduce him to this brilliant singer/musician, IU. maybe they can do a collaboration.

:tongue::)

@berny said:   Cool ! Engineer Park Dong Hoon sang a song in ep 14. i really love his voice so much.

a duet please...on king of mask singers !!! hahaha

• Like 12
  • LOL 1

For those wishing to see 'more' of LSK look for the film 'Paju'. In the early scenes you get to see his bare behind as he makes love. Don't know if it is him or a body double though. I don't remember him from 'Coffee Prince' but I enjoyed him in 'Pasta' and 'Miss Korea'. I watched 'Paju' because he was in it. Good performance. Similar dark, gritty and realistic setting. He has a relationship with his dead wife's younger sister. Strange plot/relationship but an interesting film.

On to MA. Having the ability to share our ideas here really helps me to survive between episodes. Thanks to all of you so much!!!

These previews are so frustrating. The little tidbits are great since we get some glimpse into the new episodes but we don't get the full picture so we have to guess what is actually happening. The extra preview we got for ep 13 with the 3 brothers in the taxi and JA texting DH was great. It got us thinking whether or not DH had found out about JA's wiretapping. But what made me confused was why she texted 'it's nothing' after she texted 'good luck on your interview tomorrow'. It didn't make sense to me until DH was talking to his brothers and mentioned that their father used to tell them that but DH now has nobody to tell him that. It was so meaningful after learning  that. The previews for ep 15/16 don't make me feel too good. Can't wait for the full episodes to change my feelings (like they usually do).

@ccl82 and I think @timidjock0819 mentioned that DH's mom knows that DH wasn't happy at the celebration at JH's bar. Mom is very intuitive and when she was thanking and apologizing to YH I had a sense that she might suspect that something is off in the marriage.

She was proud of and happy for DH but she also seemed a little sad.

I think it was @chickfactor who mentioned the gang at JH's bar being so excited about YH showing up. I too thought that all the gang yelling 'Mrs. Park' was telling. That reception and mom looking happy for DH and YH emphasized that it would be especially hard for DH to end his marriage to YH. I too believe that the marriage is over but it would take a big bold move from DH for a divorce to happen.

Like @sadiesmith and @aisling both said about having bad feelings about YH's involvement in the search for JA, I too felt that scene was not helpful in terms of DH and JA having a happy ending. But after reading some comments maybe this will be her final act/gift to DH before leaving for the US after separating from DH.

The phone booth conversation was so intense. When JA said she was going to hang up now I so wished that DH said something. Something like 'don't hang up yet' or 'I have something more to say to you' or 'come back'. Something. I know, he was just not ready to say anything more or he isn't the type to say anything but he could have given us even an 'uhm'. Something.

I was going to write something about what @justamom wrote but I don't understand the note that I wrote. Something about 'would P come back' If anyone knows what I might have wanted to say please help me remember. Thanks.

One thing I do want to add is that in many Asian cultures the number 4 is bad luck like the number 13 in Western cultures. I noticed JA talking about 'being nice to her 4 times'. The subway station that DH and JA get off at to go home is station 4 (can see it when JA is running to find DH and he is across the street and she pulls out her earphones). And being born in 1974 would make DH 44 this year in Western age and still 44 is Korean age if it isn't his birthday yet. Plus all the talk about rebirth and not belonging to this world makes me think not good thoughts. But, I will believe in the promotional posters from the show showing the 3 brothers and JA all laughing together. Please don't make posters like that if things like that don't even come close to happening! So, since DH was nice to JA more than 4 times and if they move and live where they get off at station 8 (a lucky number) and DH has a birthday soon and becomes 45 then all will be well!

Regarding the slippers and DH being 'all in' ha-ha. I didn't recognize the slippers in DH's new office being the same ones as the one JA gave him. I had to rewind and make sure they were the same. Also, I thought I saw a little sticky note on the left slipper. Maybe a note JA wrote which made DH run wild looking for her after he read it but alas it was only the manufacturer's tag. I saw the tag when I replayed the scene. I also didn't think he would wear them but was so happy when he did. Too bad JA was not there to see it.

Oh, when DH's son texted back saying he wanted a bigger allowance that was so cute and funny. Something intentionally funny in such a heavy two episodes.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

@berny @not1but3 No, tvN does not have an annual awards specific to tvN only. The tvN awards in 2016 was just a one-time special awards to celebrate the 10th anniversary of tvN, and there hasn't been any awards ceremony since then. The public channels like KBS, MBC and SBS do have, but cable channels like JTBC and tvN do not have any I think. There are other awards ceremonies that include all channels (public and cable channels), including: Asia Artist AwardsBaeksang Arts AwardsAPAN Star AwardsThe Seoul AwardsKorea Drama Awards.

Although out of all those awards, Baeksang Arts Awards are usually in May, so you'll have to wait until May 2019 for that awards. APAN Star Awards didn't have an awards last year, so I'm not sure if it'll have one this year, but I listed that in case.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, popai5 said:

I think it was @chickfactor who mentioned the gang at JH's bar being so excited about YH showing up. I too thought that all the gang yelling 'Mrs. Park' was telling. That reception and mom looking happy for DH and YH emphasized that it would be especially hard for DH to end his marriage to YH. I too believe that the marriage is over but it would take a big bold move from DH for a divorce to happen.

I am wondering whether we will see any update or conclusion to their relationship/ marriage on ep 15-16. There better not be an open ending if anything. Hope we get a closure on their status on the finale. 

Also, ironically I didn't find ki hoon's reaction to the affair frustrating, rather it gave a reason for the brothers to make dong hoon open up about the affair. Tbh until now he didn't have any scope to share his pain with anyone except ji an, and that too in a very vague way, so at least talking to the brothers helped I guess? And when ki hoon tells dong hoon I want you to cry and scream, and don't just keep it all inside, his face kind of gave away that he relaxed for a second? He needed to hear from someone that it's nothing, which he keeps telling to himself, so apart from ji an's message, the fact that his brothers just stayed there by his side and made him talk, it was something he really needed. Ki Hoon also in a way makes dong hoon think that it's okay if you do something that you want to do. Like when dong hoon says it's embarrassing to tell someone that their words gave him strength when everything around him seemed bleak, ki hoon assures him it's okay to do so. Sang Hoon is still a bit defeated in his games and I think the way he deals with his problems in his life, he thought dong hoon should do the same.  So it was puzzling to me when he tells dong hoon to just stay strong, it's no big deal. His advice to his brother was something that will demotivate him rather than giving him hope. But I can see how his own  dejected self is making him act this way. I like the fact that he called up yoon hee and apologized to her for not understanding her better before or for the discomforts but it was kind of weird that he felt it necessary to tell her that dong hoon still loves her. Does he really think that's the case? It is not in his territory to say things on his brother's behalf imo. So compared to that ki hoon is still someone dong hoon can confide in and someone who understands him better probably. 

• Like 14

23 hours ago, africandramalover said:

I must give a bow to the writer.. She worked out the revelation in a way I did not feel insulted (she didnt  treat it lightly). 

IGWE!

IGWE! HOOGYE! IGWE!

From a fellow screenwriter. I am in total awe. Occupational hazard but things kept jumping out at me. All the symbolism and leit motifs (train tracks, electricity), the sparse dialogue, showing instead of telling...this show is a master class in "how to write the love story of a lifetime" and that's why I think film/drama industry people everywhere are studying it. I most certainly am taking notes.

Jeong Hee's line about waking up and hearing footsteps was a classic example. She didn't just say "I wake up and hear footsteps outside which makes me so lonely" (amateur drama). She said, "I wake up in the morning...gu-dok, gu-dok. When I hear the footsteps from under my covers, it makes me feel so lonely."

I found some interesting reviews of 13 and 14 from Korean news sites which I'll post up shortly. What I couldn't find though, was any news on Lee Seon Gyun since the show started?? @sadiesmith any idea why? Maybe because he's deep in his Park Dong Hoon cave and the PD doesn't want to disturb him?

43 minutes ago, popai5 said:

I was going to write something about what @justamom wrote but I don't understand the note that I wrote. Something about 'would P come back' If anyone knows what I might have wanted to say please help me remember. Thanks.

Sorry no idea what you wanted to say...:ph34r:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, justamom said:

I found some interesting reviews of 13 and 14 from Korean news sites which I'll post up shortly. What I couldn't find though, was any news on Lee Seon Gyun since the show started?? @sadiesmith any idea why? Maybe because he's deep in his Park Dong Hoon cave and the PD doesn't want to disturb him?

Can't wait to read these Korean reviews of episodes 13 and 14.

What do you mean news on Lee Seon Gyun?  What kind of news exactly can we expect mid-filming?  I also didn't see anything other than news of his name climbing higher in the last few actors' brand ranking charts, which made me very happy.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, filmstrip said:

The whole MV could just be them talking over the phone or something oh wait--we have @Kimchi Sweet Potato FMVs for that ❤️.

Hahaha, i couldn't help myself.

23 minutes ago, justamom said:

All the symbolism and leit motifs (train tracks, electricity), the sparse dialogue, showing instead of telling...this show is a master class in "how to write the love story of a lifetime" and that's why I think film/drama industry people everywhere are studying it. I most certainly am taking notes.

Completely agree. Definitely a masterpiece. I remember thinking the other day, we are shown the same set each week e.g. the subway, the road home, the bar, the office and yet each scene is a new experience. Hands down to everyone that made this drama happen. I was particularly blown away by the colors of episode 13.

• Like 10