[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

8 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Haha, that is just what I was thinking. Spontaneous combustion.

He seems like the type of guy who, once he makes his intentions clear to a woman, he is all in. He's not quite there yet, because he's dealing with the messy fallout of his wife's affair and a career-defining job interview the very next day? So he like, "Okay, let's save this for later." He also doesn't know it's the last time he will see her (at least for a while), but she does.

I guess I'm puzzled that there is any debate about whether DH likes JA. Him vigorously defending her in his interview was about as big and meaningful a declaration of love as anything. (I don't know, is it just me that sees it this way?)

I really enjoyed the three brothers' group mourning session about the marriage. The other two brothers sometimes have the maturity of infants, but they sure have a whole lot of feelings, and it's quite sweet.

And Sang-Hoon, as silly as he seems, really does bear the burden of being the oldest son, even feeling responsible for everything that's gone wrong in DH's marriage. It's obviously not his fault in any way, but this is how Korean families tend to be: the head of the household is the one who takes responsibility for everything. And because their father has (apparently) passed on, SH is the head of the family. It was honestly pretty touching to see him apologize to Yoon-Hee, at least acknowledging her contributions and efforts over the years.

By the way, her telling the brothers about it, that's the final nail on the coffin of this marriage. And it is sad. But they're saying farewell to each other with a lot of grace.

Joon-Young, you trash! How dare you.

I veer from feeling some sympathy for JY to just rooting for maximum disgrace. Now I'm just relishing his eventual downfall. You need to burn, Joon-Young!

I do agree with you: if what DH said is true (it's all right if nobody knows), he can't be with her anymore, even for conventions. (unless, the role of JA in DH's life is to change his view about it to enable him accept his wife back :o:angry:). So there are many things against the chances to salvage their marriage: adultery, differents views of life, differents ways to understand family and marriage, different expectations, difficult in communication, family knows about the affair. I can't see how, narratively, they can save their marriage: each episode they add new difficults to make it impossible. (I even thought that YH telling the brother about the affair is a way to push DH to ask for the divorce, but who knows?!!)

BTW, people who thinks that JA is just kindred soul of DH and that he should get back with his wife are in fact creating as impossibility JA staying in his life. If YA is already unhappy with sharing DH with his family, how could she be happy with JA (that only person who really understands, conforts, supports unconditionally him) around DH? Impossible. No woman (rightfully) will be happy that his husband's  kindred soul (who in addition confessed her love to him) stays in his life, sharing his life.  

6 hours ago, Wotad said:

that drama gave me some damn feels , the ending was a hot debate ;p 

My opinion: good drama, terrible ending!!!

Edited by LyraYoo
please do not quote images, thank you.
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, arctichare said:

I think the show knows its mind. I think the ambiguity of their central relationship is the point of the show.

It's just that this is not what you're expecting or want from the show. 

I think in life, we come across and become close to different people for a number reasons. Yes sometimes those relationships can be easily categorized into neat little boxes but a lot of the times, that is simply not possible.

So many folks on this forum are convinced of the romantic nature of their relationship but if you check out Dramabeans or other forums, you'll find people who only see them as platonic partners and are baffled at the thought of romance. People will see what they want to see. 

I hear you but realistically, we can all say we know for sure where we stand with people in our life! Neither his wife nor Ji-An know where they stand in HIS life - and both of them are rooting for him (though I don't care about the backstabbing selfish wife, but she IS his wife of 15 years). That's unrealistic. He's leading Ji-An on and not letting his wife go either. It's almost as if he's having his cake and eating it too. And he's supposed to be the best of the best in people (the 9th wonder of the world!). I don't care what viewers see, but what does he see? Is disappearance supposed to just show more of the same: he's 'longing' for her and 'missing' her and then goes and gets her - all to have another walk and lecture on good job openings?! Or change? Why should it take disappearance of essentially the other woman (Ji-An) for him to decide whether he wants to let go of his wife (IF he lets her go that is) or what status he has with Ji-An? After all, he IS still married in Ep.14 when he punches JY over Ji-An! So it's okay to be married and hunt down a 'little girl' but not okay to give her a straight answer? It's okay to beat up every other guy over her and place her on a mantel where he can eye her regularly, but not okay to not lead her on? This guy's motivations / decisions are all up in the air. And nobody is like that in life. There's a large question-mark on his forehead: what does he want? And we have essentially 2 episodes left to answer where he will be, what will he be doing, and who he'll be with. And he hasn't made a single choice or effort since the beginning! 

I think Ji-An's role is more fleshed out than his and given more prominence and forward-momentum. The office politics has turned into 'Ji-An Ji-An' (and now 'Find Ji-An' circus as per the chairman!) and DH would like nothing better than to have Ji-An back at the office where he can gaze upon her and explain away the 'connection'! It's all nonsensical.

He's literally like the guy whose ship is on fire but refuses to see the flames! ('It's nothing, It's nothing!')

• Like 8

Hi guys! It's almost 7pm where I live :).

I'm sorry! I said I was going to do some backreading yesterday, but I couldn't. Life happens, right? :). I'm going to try to some backreading right now. 

On 5/8/2018 at 3:29 PM, sadiesmith said:

Aww, don't be sorry.  I am probably THE biggest LSK fan on this earth and I was not offended in the least.  But are serious that many people think Eun Chan had more chemistry with Han Sung? :wub:  But anyway, difference of opinions is a good thing.  For example, I hope the non-shippers do not feel silenced by the shippers on this thread and go elsewhere.  We're glad you're here and contributing to the discussions.  The more diverse, the better, as long as we all continue to love the drama.

Thank you. You're so kind. I'm glad you weren't offended :).

About HanSung's chemistry with Eunchan :)

Spoiler

So here is an article:

https://www.dramafever.com/news/10-reasons-you-should-re-watch-coffee-prince

It says,

"There were definitely times in Coffee Prince when it seems like Choi Han Sung (Lee Sun Gyun) would be a better choice for Eun Chan. He's so nice and sweet to her and really wants her to be happy. They make fantastic friends and would have been great together if things had turned out differently."

So you said you're glad that I'm here? Thank you :). I wish I met you sooner because I still don't think I'm good enough to join the discussions. I think the discussions are too hard for me. I don't think I understand them. So I think I'm going to read your comments and the other comments :). It's not your fault. I know the drama is ending soon. And I can't wait to read your thoughts. I love reading your thoughts. I'm glad I got the chance to watch this drama with you :). I hope we meet in another thread someday :)

Edit:

@justamom Ok. Thank you.

Spoiler

You hurt my feelings :(.

I am so sad. I don't want this drama to end. I'm going to miss DH and Ji-An and the rest of the cast! I feel like it is the perfect drama for me. :bawling:

I'm going to go back to backreading. Bye! :wub:

Edited by 2handsintertwined
  • Like 3

Episode 13

The brothers are grieving his marriage trouble more that DH is now that they know.  The pain of his wife's affair and the aftermath is too much for the brothers as they are feeling that pain as if she cheated on them personally.   DH still has not fully come to terms with all the emotions in real time and grieved the possibility of the death of his relationship with Yoon Hee.  The brothers knowing about Yoon Hee’s affair has DH reeling..with feelings he doesn’t know how to put back in the box.  

DH is just trying to keep all the balls in the air that he has always carried.  At some point his heart or his spirit may break and he may have to begin to let some of those balls drop.  This would take a major shift in his ability, no his propensity, to hide and shove down his feelings to maintain his perfect son, perfect brother, perfect neighborhood friend facade.

JA is his comfort.  She finally sent him a text.  DH says out loud...”Thank you..” as she listens.

DH, as he is walking along with his brothers who are trying to get him to tell LJA how he appreciates her.  DH says out loud what he can’t say to LJA...something about gaining strength and comfort from her and ...”because of her I could breath” and later “Thank you for being by my side”.    The feelings felt so deep.  Yes, longing.

He then arrives home and goes directly into the bedroom and shuts the door....completely bypassing a sleeping Yoon Hee on the couch (who was not really asleep).  As human nature would dictate..DH has to have some very raw feeling that were further stirred up by his brothers knowing of Yoon Hee’s affair.

JA hurts for DH...as she listens in.  JA sets out at dawn..hair down..with backpack.....  DH later that day discovers that she left new slippers in his drawer....he runs after her.  

• Like 6

@chickfactor @ninaanin  Once a woman tell her husband's family, that's it!  Irrevocably!  It is THE END!  No question mark!  So now wife is gone... what's next?  Some people wants absolute unambiguity... that is not possible since Engineer still has to sort through his baggages and find his treasure.  but it is quite obvious to many, albeit not yet to him which way is the wind blowing.   Before this reader voted for 70% happy ending... now I vote for a 90% happy ending!

• Like 7

My favorite part of being in a forum are the mental health providers who are here to diagnose folk that don't see the world as they do as crazy.

My second favorite are the story consultants who threaten the writer for not writing the story they want to watch.

#funtimesinforumland

I do hope JiAn finishes her contract before she messes up her work history.

Has anyone considered paying for KH much needed therapy.  The entertainment industry is truly lucky he was not successful.  The amount of misery he would create on a film set is astronomical.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, arctichare said:

I'm surprised to see people were expecting a definitive answer to the relationship conundrum in this episode. It's the thirteenth episode y'all not the sixteenth. As someone said in this thread earlier, that's the game. The writer is not about to give it away in the penultimate week of the show.

And even at the end we may not get a definite answer, as an open ending is very much in the cards. I know most of the folks here do not want an open ending but personally I would not have a problem with it. In some instances, I might even prefer it.

Speaking of the episode, all the scenes involving the three brothers were A++++. All three actors just hit it out of the park!

Dong Hoon was literally killing me in this episode. I obviously didn't expect him to hug Ji An. Ji An didn't expect him to hug her either. No one, who knows anything about Dong Hoon would expect that from him at that moment.

But good god, he literally spent the rest of the episode reacting to her/thinking about her. Even in the scenes with his brothers, she was not far from his mind. He was being so obvious about it, I honestly couldn't believe my eyes. Good lord, someone please help this man to process his emotions in a healthy way.

@artichare  a life time of scruples is hard to break

11 hours ago, akhenaten said:

If you’re not exactly feeling very brotherly/fatherly/friendly towards her. :rolleyes:

@ninaanin @akhenaten  This reader has female colleagues and staffs..  This reader would often do neck and shoulder massages to the staffs male or female while we talk in a friendly way while we chat...staffs like that....., but this reader would NEVER touch a female colleague that this reader feel some degree of attraction for! 

Ajusshi is afraid to get too close to Ji-an, so no huggy at this point.  Not until his mind is made up as to what to do with his life, work, end his marriage etc... If he hug her he may be forced to declare... what is he going to say?  let's get together the we'll figure out what to do tomorrow?   He is not the kind of person who jumps in head first then sort out the mess later.... typical engineer.

Edited by LyraYoo
  • Like 13

5 hours ago, arctichare said:

I think the show knows its mind. I think the ambiguity of their central relationship is the point of the show.

It's just that this is not what you're expecting or want from the show. 

Yes, exactly. Their interactions can be explained away. Different people will look at their relationship through different lenses. I think this is very much intentional by the writer/director. Remember when Kwang-il couldn't describe what their relationship was like - were they dating? was she his mistress?

I don't find this relationship unrealistic at all, in fact quite the opposite. I think in life, we come across and become close to different people for a number reasons. Yes sometimes those relationships can be easily categorized into neat little boxes but a lot of the times, that is simply not possible.

I believe this show is about the latter. Obviously not everyone enjoys this kind of ambiguity and that's absolutely fine but a piece of art being ambiguous does not negate its value. Isn't that what art is? It's subjective. So many folks on this forum are convinced of the romantic nature of their relationship but if you check out Dramabeans or other forums, you'll find people who only see them as platonic partners and are baffled at the thought of romance. People will see what they want to see. 

I also think that people will see what their education, exposure, and life experience have led them to expect. 

It is frustrating when people start denigrating folks for not experiencing what their lives have prepared them to respond to.

I'm all for disagreements; disagreements create opportunities for learning. But not for the denigration of people you don't agree with.  The posture spoils the drama, and if not that is spoils the forum.

@Noor1

I hear you but realistically, we can all say we know for sure where we stand with people in our life!

I don't think that is true.  So many people have come home to empty houses to find their seemingly happy spouse has left them. So many parents have been surprised to find their children have run away with goodness knows who they met on the internet. One hopes to know one's near and dear but there is no guarantee that you do.

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, hushhh said:

I also think that people will see what their education, exposure, and life experience have led them to expect. 

It is frustrating when people start denigrating folks for not experiencing what their lives have prepared them to respond to.

I'm all for disagreements; disagreements create opportunities for learning. But not for the denigration of people you don't agree with.  The posture spoils the drama, and if not that is spoils the forum.

@Noor1

I hear you but realistically, we can all say we know for sure where we stand with people in our life!

I don't think that is true.  So many people have come home to empty houses to find their seemingly happy spouse has left them. So many parents have been surprised to find their children have run away with goodness knows who they met on the internet. One hopes to know one's near and dear but there is no guarantee that you do.

Yup, correct. People you thought you knew inside out, and then one day they do something unexpected, and you realise: you don't know them at all. 

People you thought you hate, but then you hear their story or they make you laugh out of the blue, and you find yourself  not knowing which box they should be in. 

Like someone else mentioned, ambiguity is the name of the game for this show. And I for one, thinks it's refreshing, albeit agonizing as heck. 

• Like 13

Brief translation:

With 3 episodes left, the cast and crew have of My Ahjussi have been rewarded with a post-filming trip to Hainan Island, China.

(description about the show and Kim Won Suk)

Lee Ji Eun is receiving praise for performing "the role of her life". All previous criticism of her has disappeared as she completely disappears into her character on which the story is based. As a result, My Mister is achieving high ratings - 5.8% highest rating thus far, and even after a one week's break 5.6% for episode 13. It looks like they will break 6% soon, much higher than initially anticipated.

Kim Won Suk spoke earlier about the show's ratings. The ratings are even higher than for Signal or Misaeng. The truth is this was a very difficult show to put together at TVN. (Maybe that's why) To him, the ratings feel much higher. He's gotten much more feedback and response about this show than his previous ones. He's been receiving many positive feedback about the show from audiences.

About Lee Ji Eun's casting, PD Kim said he can't express it in words. He'll just say one thing: The Lee Ji An that Lee Ji Eun imagines, is always something more than what he expects, he praised with tears in his eyes. (what he says is what he imagines is always something  a little less than what she imagines)

It is with such emotions that the show is being completed. To thank the staff and crew....(not so important stuff after that)

The last episode will be screened on May 17th.

Edited by LyraYoo
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 6

I’ve  only seen the unsubbed clips on YT and I just want to say the one where Dong Hoon was talking to his brothers just broke my heart.  The emotions were so deep and heartfelt and raw.  No over-the-top reactions but everything was so in keeping with their respective personalities: Sang Hoon being all weepy and sad and guilty because he sees his failure as one of the major reasons for Dong Hoon’s own difficulties; Ki Hoon’s violent outbursts and immediate dissipation of anger leaving him sad and frustrated because he thinks Dong Hoon should just let it all out; and Dong Hoon who sits and feels everything deeply while trying to control his tears, but suddenly exploding in such a way that the others around him become fearful because he never loses control.

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!  And yes, that’s one bravo for each of the three brothers.  I so love you now, Lee Sun Kyun, Park Ho San and Song Sae Byeok. :)

• Like 20

Here is what we know so far: Jian is his source of strength, otherwise he would have died from the pain of losing his soul. DH does not want to say it to her because of the fear of how will that sound. Why is he so afraid if those words don't mean anything else:huh:? He is fine as long as Jian is in the confines of his world and workplace. It is selfish but that is DH's personality. The same way that he keeps YH in the state of purgatory. Always the safe approach and too afraid to take a step. I could understand the frustration of some people here because of the ambiguity but what else is new? This show has been walking that fine line of grey area since episode 7. DH's character frustrates me a lot in this episode but I could forgive him a little because his brothers found out about the affair. So, the whole family dynamic needs to be shown and fleshed out. I really hate the fact that Dong Hoon still choose to remain a spectator in his own life. He would rather just suffer instead of dealing the hard choice of a crumbling marriage. I agree with @ninaanin that YH revealed the affair to Ki Hoon because she is also tired of pretending like everything is ok and keep on suffocating in that apartment. YH also wants to expedite the process of her punishment so that she can move on from living in hell. It is very hard for me to root for a male lead that does not directly say what he means. Words are important too. He again loves to mope around and walk in circles. This is 85% of the drama and our Ajusshi still remains ambiguous. He also have moments of pure courage like with Gwang Il and in that boardroom. I just wish the show focuses more on his strengths rather than his indecisiveness. There is a clear lack of development in DH's character. Come on PDnim give me something here so that I can root for him! Dong Hoon is the male lead for goodness sake! How can you make this character so apathetic:rolleyes:

The longing never stops.. in fact DH never bothered to hide it anymore around the office. What a shocker! :rolleyes:The restlessness, agitation, and annoyance from the knowledge Jian is not there. Those are the feelings that DH is exhibiting because he could not breathe from the emptiness without her. So it makes me wonder when his actual anger will start? All that breathlessness is not good for the brain. We all know DH is capable of such rage particularly JYD and Gwang Il are both trying to trap Jian into submission. He will erupt soon enough especially if she keeps on hiding like that.. DH will find Jian even in the depths of hell because she is the reason for him to keep on breathing and staying alive. Jian seems unaffected by the separation because of the phone tap. Wait until she will lose that ability. I guess another round of restlessness, agitation, heavy breathing, and panic? We already seen the glimpse of her behavior on episode 7 when she forgot to get off the train and was hurrying back to find him. The only time she took a deep breath was when she saw DH across the street. Viewers   may have different definitions about their connection but in my opinion their relationship never really fits into any mold or label. Jian is his reason to breathe and DH is her reason not to fall into the abyss. They unknowingly try to save each other from dying. This is a matter of life and death for them. And there is nothing more romantic than that:wub:.. but of course this is just my own humble opinion. 

Jung Hee is my favorite character in episode 13. It took her a long time but she put on her best clothes, heels, straighten her hair, and brought a lighter to see an ex-lover at the temple. She proudly wear her heart in her sleeves. Pour her feelings and resentment towards the man she loved all her life. The monk was shook for a moment there. Say what you mean and to hell with it! I hope DH can learn from Jung Hee and stop being pitiful. It is you alone that can pick yourself up and seek your own happiness.   

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7

On 5/3/2018 at 2:17 PM, sadiesmith said:

Episode # Original broadcast date Average audience share
AGB Nielsen Ratings[17] TNmS Ratings[18]
Nationwide Seoul
1 March 21, 2018 3.923% 4.467% 4.6%
2 March 22, 2018 4.133% 4.786% 4.1%
3 March 28, 2018 3.373% 4.102% 3.9%
4 March 29, 2018 3.611% 3.851% 4.3%
5 April 4, 2018 3.936% 4.838% 3.7%
6 April 5, 2018 4.038% 4.468% 4.6%
7 April 11, 2018 4.487% 5.234% 4.7%
8 April 12, 2018 5.313% 5.671% 4.6%
9 April 18, 2018 4.803% 5.413% 3.8%
10 April 19, 2018 5.824% 6.472% 5.6%
11 April 25, 2018 4.965% 5.926% 4.6%
12 April 26, 2018 6.035% 6.572% 5.5%
13 May 9, 2018      
14 May 10, 2018      
15 May 16, 2018      
16 May 17, 2018      
Average % % %
Special (Commentary) May 3, 2018 3.187% 4.008%  

Ratings for WEDNESDAY May 9th (yesterday) is the HIGHEST for a WEDNESDAY at 5.6%

Ratings for THURSDAY generally higher, so anticipate a record or above 6% tonight 

Am referring to *Nationwide* Nielsen Korea ratings only

Please see the above and  

https://twitter.com/kdrama_news/status/994357552220549121

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

I’ve  only seen the unsubbed clips on YT and I just want to say the one where Dong Hoon was talking to his brothers just broke my heart.  The emotions were so deep and heartfelt and raw.  No over-the-top reactions but everything was so in keeping with their respective personalities: Sang Hoon being all weepy and sad and guilty because he sees his failure as one of the major reasons for Dong Hoon’s own difficulties; Ki Hoon’s violent outbursts and immediate dissipation of anger leaving him sad and frustrated because he thinks Dong Hoon should just let it all out; and Dong Hoon who sits and feels everything deeply while trying to control his tears, but suddenly exploding in such a way that the others around him become fearful because he never loses control.

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!  And yes, that’s one bravo for each of the three brothers.  I so love you now, Lee Sun Kyun, Park Ho San and Song Sae Byeok. :)

This episode gave me an 'aha' moment: that potentially, DH's main reason for asking JY to keep quiet about the affair, was so that his family would not find out. Because he knows this would hurt them, maybe more than him. SH is constantly apologizing and crying, while KH is angry and restless. We can only guess what this would do this mother. 

That scene where SH told KH to calm down in the van & when he called YH, completely broke my heart. 

SH often appears useless, but when his mom was packing food for DH and KH was complaining non-stop, he looked at his mom with so much kindness and love, I think it showed the kind of brother and son he is, and why he's needed. 

:dissapointed_relieved:

• Like 14

7 minutes ago, timidjock0819 said:

The longing never stops.. in fact DH never bothered to hide it anymore around the office. What a shocker! :rolleyes:The restlessness, agitation, and annoyance from the knowledge Jian is not there.

Yeah, I love the progression.

During their first drinks/meals together, he was nervous and self-conscious. Their conversations were prickly and forced.

Then they grew comfortable around each other. He was no longer afraid to be seen with her. Looked for her, asking "have you seen that pretty girl?" Shared a smile after chugging beers. When people criticized her at work for being rude, he openly defended her.

She kicks him so he doesn't miss his subway stop. She slaps a team member who dares to criticize him. She runs to him when he's fallen in the snow, and she runs to him when he lingers at a bridge for too long. She runs into the path of an oncoming car to stop his wife from hurting him any more. She tells him, "Fighting." She tells his friends, "Thank you." When anyone asks her if she likes him, she answers, "Yes." Kwang-Il, Yoon-Hee, a room full of execs. It doesn't matter who. She tells them the truth.

She loudly and proudly defended him in front of all the executives. He loudly and proudly defended her in the same way, in front of the same people. He will not let anyone talk crap about her. When she's gone, the first thing he does is to go look for her. It's the only thing he cares about right now. His career hangs in the balance and his home life is in shambles. But he sees those slippers in his drawer, and all he can think about is her.

Image result for swoon gif

--

Okay, I feel like I have to talk about Ki-Hoon now.

I really love the completely f-ed up couple that Yu-Ra and Ki-Hoon are. They are so wonderfully loony. Her guileless idiot-savant ways are always entertaining. Her cuss-storm was a joy to behold. (Girl, if you miss Ki-Hoon, just puke outside your door, and he will come to clean it up.)

And while he is quite entertaining to watch usually, he veers into uncomfortable territory sometimes. He is really pretty unstable and needs some sort of anger management classes or something.

I don't know. I worry. If he didn't have two brothers to hold him back, he would be in jail.

--

Jung-Hee. What an awesome lady. You deserve all the love, all the million roses.

I'm sure Mr. Monk will eventually exposit why the heck he did this to you, but girl, you just speak your truth like you did today, then cry as much as you want. Cry it out, girl. And hugs from me.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, timidjock0819 said:

Here is what we know so far: Jian is his source of strength, otherwise he would have died from the pain of losing his soul. DH does not want to say it to her because of the fear of how will that sound. Why is he so afraid if those words don't mean anything else:huh:? He is fine as long as Jian is in the confines of his world and workplace. It is selfish but that is DH's personality. The same way that he keeps YH in the state of purgatory. Always the safe approach and too afraid to take a step. I could understand the frustration of some people here because of the ambiguity but what else is new? This show has been walking that fine line of grey area since episode 7. DH's character frustrates me a lot in this episode but I could forgive him a little because his brothers found out about the affair. So, the whole family dynamic needs to be shown and fleshed out. I really hate the fact that Dong Hoon still choose to remain a spectator in his own life. He would rather just suffer instead of dealing the hard choice of a crumbling marriage. I agree with @ninaanin that YH revealed the affair to Ki Hoon because she is also tired of pretending like everything is ok and keep on suffocating in that apartment. YH also wants to expedite the process of her punishment so that she can move on from living in hell. It is very hard for me to root for a male lead that does not directly say what he means. Words are important too. He again loves to mope around and walk in circles. This is 85% of the drama and our Ajusshi still remains ambiguous. He also have moments of pure courage like with Gwang Il and in that boardroom. I just wish the show focuses more on his strengths rather than his indecisiveness. There is a clear lack of development in DH's character. Come on PDnim give me something here so that I can root for him! Dong Hoon is the male lead for goodness sake! How can you make this character so apathetic:rolleyes:

The longing never stops.. in fact DH never bothered to hide it anymore around the office. What a shocker! :rolleyes:The restlessness, agitation, and annoyance from the knowledge Jian is not there. Those are the feelings that DH is exhibiting because he could not breathe from the emptiness without her. So it makes me wonder when his actual anger will start? All that breathlessness is not good for the brain. We all know DH is capable of such rage particularly JYD and Gwang Il are both trying to trap Jian into submission. He will erupt soon enough especially if she keeps on hiding like that.. DH will find Jian even in the depths of hell because she is the reason for him to keep on breathing and staying alive. Jian seems unaffected by the separation because of the phone tap. Wait until she will lose that ability. I guess another round of restlessness, agitation, heavy breathing, and panic? We already seen the glimpse of her behavior on episode 7 when she forgot to get off the train and was hurrying back to find him. The only time she took a deep breath was when she saw DH across the street. Viewers   may have different definitions about their connection but in my opinion their relationship never really fits into any mold or label. Jian is his reason to breathe and DH is her reason not to fall into the abyss. They unknowingly try to save each other from dying. This is a matter of life and death for them. And there is nothing more romantic than that:wub:.. but of course this is just my own humble opinion. 

Jung Hee is my favorite character in episode 13. It took her a long time but she put on her best clothes, heels, straighten her hair, and brought a lighter to see an ex-lover at the temple. She proudly wear her heart in her sleeves. Pour her feelings and resentment towards the man she loved all her life. The monk was shook for a moment there. Say what you mean and to hell with it! I hope DH can learn from Jung Hee and stop being pitiful. It is you alone that can pick yourself up and seek your own happiness.   

I think JY perfectly described who DH is when they fought on the roof. 

We're constantly bombarded by the perfect male lead, that this pathetic, super-flawed DH is making us terribly impatient and angry. WHY IS HE STILL SO AFRAID??!!!! WHY IS HE STILL NOT IN CONTROL OF HIS LIFE?!!!

But there are many DHs in this world, and while can stand by their side and cheer them on, ultimately they themselves must take the first leap. I too hope DH will learn from JH; that bar scene where it was just the two of them gives me hope. 

• Like 17

6 hours ago, ninaanin said:

If we follow KI as the writer/pd-nim voices, then we will have at the first moment, the ambiguity of their relationship vocalized; but at the second, the certainty that JA is in love with DH is stablished, for KI more than one time (I think twice) said that she was in love, and he was pissed because she was being happy with that. So, there is only a half ambiguity, at least we can say for sure that we have an unrequited love from JA's side. 

I think the Kwang-il scene was just one of the instances where this ambiguity was getting vocalized by the writer, note also the scenes where Dong Hoon is preparing for his interview and how others are going back and forth about his and Ji An's relationship. Ji An at this point in the story is pretty clear and forthright about her feelings so I agree with you that most of the ambiguity is coming from Dong Hoon right now.

6 hours ago, noor1 said:

He's leading Ji-An on and not letting his wife go either. It's almost as if he's having his cake and eating it too. And he's supposed to be the best of the best in people (the 9th wonder of the world!). 

I don't know about your first point. I think two people could be married for twenty years and still withhold a part of themselves from their partners. It's really difficult to know another person completely no matter how close they are to you.

Most definitely agree on your second point. The way Dong Hoon is dealing with his non-relationship with Ji An is actually kind of murky. He is being selfish in a way, isn't he? Ji An has been pretty candid about the way she feels about him but he hasn't said a thing, and yet he wants her to stick around in his life. I wonder if someone not as nice as Dong Hoon was doing something like this, would we be so sympathetic to them? It makes his motivations kind of suspect but story-wise I find it quite interesting. I get your frustrations at the inertia of Dong Hoon's story. It's a kind of torturous but I love angst when it's done well. So I'm gonna enjoy this :D

2 hours ago, hushhh said:

I'm all for disagreements; disagreements create opportunities for learning. But not for the denigration of people you don't agree with.  The posture spoils the drama, and if not that is spoils the forum.

Yes, definitely people's life experiences will shape the way they view the world, I think I was trying to find a short hand way to say that.

As for your second point, I honestly can't tell if you're referring to my post. I don't think I denigrated anyone. I pretty much agree that different people will react differently to this show. That seems to be the only guarantee with this show. That's the beauty and fun of it.

• Like 13