[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

9 minutes ago, nearsea said:

Do you mean ep 14? 

Oops! Yes, have amended. (Obviously still not sleeping)

24 minutes ago, arctichare said:

But good god, he literally spent the rest of the episode reacting to her/thinking about her.

This!!  This, my friend, is first class scriptwriting.

Not “보고 싶어 보고 싶어” (I miss you) on repeat. 

• Like 8
  • LOL 2

English translation from www.bah-doo.com

JH – Did that girl stop working at your company? She liked our neighborhood a lot.
Affair woman – Lee Ji-ahn killed a woman.
Wang – You made her quit her job? Find her and bring her here.
VO – Even if we catch her, she won’t die by herself.
JY – Before the police find her, we have to catch her ourselves.
JA – I don’t want to get caught, I am going to run away.
JA – Until you get fired by DH safely.
VO – Whoever agrees to promote DH to a director, raise your hand.
Director Park – Come to me quietly and turn off your cell phone first.
DH – What did you do with Lee Ji-ahn? Where is she!

• Like 11

@aisling Were you the one who asked me about my story earlier? So what happens is I decided to leave the company, to pursue other interests among other things. But one consideration I had was that I felt I was too close to him, people at the company knew, and I didn’t want to hold back his success. The job (and the company) meant more to him than it did to me. In a way, I think Ji An felt the same. On my last day though, when we said goodbye. I didn’t ask for it, but he gave me a warm hug. In public :ph34r:

• Like 11

56 minutes ago, berny said:

So in this recent episode, two will be tracking down and wanting to catch JiAn and her friend? first Director Park and also JY who deployed a goon.

It's interesting what GI did in this episode though..He was asked by JY's goon if he knows who that computer-geek friend of JA is ? and did he avoid answering or pretended he doesn't know him? I think if i remember it right, some epidodes back, GI already met him and he even beat up the poor boy.

And also GI getting the boy's computer files before the investigators/goons arrive and access it... why did he? 

Is he turning a new leaf? or does he want to have control of it and give them to JY in exchange for money?

I had a hunch at the beginning of the show that somehow GI would save JA in the end, not DH. She's super smart, but not much of a literal richard simmons-kicker, and if JY is desperate enough to hurt her, GI would definitely take the beatings for her. I dunno, just a hunch. 

• Like 6

http://program.tving.com/tvn/mymister/10/Board/List

Ep. 14 Text Preview

After Director Candidate interview, the fact that Ji-An has killed someone in the past begins to spread throughout the company.

Dong-Hoon realizes that Ji-An has cut off all contact, so he begins looking for her everywhere, but no trace of her can be found.

Jung-Hee tells DH that she saw Ji-An.

Then he gets a phone call... it's Ji-An!

--

Just saw Ep. 13.

One thing I wanted to point out is that when Ji-An killed that guy, she was found innocent, because it was self-defense. That was what DH said during his interview.

I think some of us had assumed that she was found guilty because she did stay for two years in a juvenile facility, based on records that Yoon-Hee had found, and we thought that was the time she served as her sentence? (I did, anyway.)

Anyway, just wanted to clear that up.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

19 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

http://program.tving.com/tvn/mymister/10/Board/List

Ep. 14 Text Preview

After Director Candidate interview, the fact that Ji-An has killed someone in the past begins to spread throughout the company.

Dong-Hoon realizes that Ji-An has cut off all contact, so he begins looking for her everywhere, but no trace of her can be found.

Jung-Hee tells DH that she saw Ji-An.

Then he gets a phone call... it's Ji-An!

Thanks for the translation! I don’t dare to hope that JA’s absence will wake something in him... 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, timidjock0819 said:

Yes, all he could see was Jian not there at her desk. He didn't hug her.  It was not because he didn't want to  but DH knows the moment their bodies will touch,  it will be game over. All of his defenses will come down and whatever feelings he is trying to control will come crashing down. It will never be about just a hug with them.. their longing for each other is way too much that one thing will lead to another.. So he must stop that from happening then coldly gave her a response and left. 

Agree. DH is the wild card. From Gwang Il to the board room, it was always about defending Jian. 

Haha, that is just what I was thinking. Spontaneous combustion.

thumb image

He seems like the type of guy who, once he makes his intentions clear to a woman, he is all in. He's not quite there yet, because he's dealing with the messy fallout of his wife's affair and a career-defining job interview the very next day? So he like, "Okay, let's save this for later." He also doesn't know it's the last time he will see her (at least for a while), but she does.

I guess I'm puzzled that there is any debate about whether DH likes JA. Him vigorously defending her in his interview was about as big and meaningful a declaration of love as anything. (I don't know, is it just me that sees it this way?)

I really enjoyed the three brothers' group mourning session about the marriage. The other two brothers sometimes have the maturity of infants, but they sure have a whole lot of feelings, and it's quite sweet.

And Sang-Hoon, as silly as he seems, really does bear the burden of being the oldest son, even feeling responsible for everything that's gone wrong in DH's marriage. It's obviously not his fault in any way, but this is how Korean families tend to be: the head of the household is the one who takes responsibility for everything. And because their father has (apparently) passed on, SH is the head of the family. It was honestly pretty touching to see him apologize to Yoon-Hee, at least acknowledging her contributions and efforts over the years.

By the way, her telling the brothers about it, that's the final nail on the coffin of this marriage. And it is sad. But they're saying farewell to each other with a lot of grace.

Joon-Young, you trash! How dare you.

I veer from feeling some sympathy for JY to just rooting for maximum disgrace. Now I'm just relishing his eventual downfall. You need to burn, Joon-Young!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Oh also! Notice how DH has turned on his own words, at least twice in this episode?

"Whatever I hear about you, I'll pretend I didn't hear it."

But he didn't pretend - in fact he wanted to go up to Yoon when he picked on her in front of everyone. And at the interview too, he addressed the 'issue'. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, arctichare said:

I'm surprised to see people were expecting a definitive answer to the relationship conundrum in this episode. It's the thirteenth episode y'all not the sixteenth.

But good god, he literally spent the rest of the episode reacting to her/thinking about her. Even in the scenes with his brothers, she was not far from his mind. He was being so obvious about it, I honestly couldn't believe my eyes. Good lord, someone please help this man to process his emotions in a healthy way.

Why should anyone watch a show that does not know its own mind? I'm not watching Ep.14, despite it being a great show.

Btw, all that 'looking and thinking' (someone called it 'longing') can be explained away as that of a concerned kindred spirit, concerned manager, concerned friend, concerned older adult - and I am sure that is the way DH will describe it unless someone hits HIM over the head for a change! Remember, he told her that he will not allow himself to be uncomfortable around her, and see her doing well, even after 10-20 years. I'm not saying they should be shipping or non-shipping but at least 'whatever it is' should be clear. I also think ending will be open-ended - unless Ep. 15 gives a shocker of an intimacy that clears up the cloud of ambiguity - and they will still be walking neighborhoods at the end of it all, maybe in different jobs (that is of course if one of them does not die or get lost forever!). But it's unrealistic and crazy. 

I am unable to enjoy even the office politics because 'Ji-An, Ji-An / are they, are they not' drama is everywhere! I think this drama has focussed a bit too much on Ji-An's character and too little on DH's - Ji-An has been explained and lifted up into prominence while the guy (around whom the entire drama is focussed) is still a mystery! 

(And regarding Ep. 14 preview: WHEN WILL DH STOP CALLING JI-AN A LITTLE GIRL?????? Unless he actually thinks she's just a girl and he just wants to knows where she is as the concerned older man / manager / kindred spirit? My advice to the writer: MAKE IT CLEAR WHAT THIS MAN THINKS - unless he has been making it clear for 13 episodes and nobody is getting it: that is, he doesn't think he treats Ji-An any differently than the other office employees and is only concerned about her because of her special (unprivileged, tough) background, her affiliation for him, lifting each other up, etc. etc. - which is fine - but make it clear! 

• Like 6

When I see varied comments it brings home to me how people can see the same thing in such a different way. One comment on YouTube said they hope it doesn't turn into a romance because it is suppose to be a healing drama....another said DH is looking for JA so she can finish her contract... so her resume can look good for her next job I guess "before it is too late" and I am over here swooning because of how obvious and frantic he is being about the possibilty of her not being in his life. To each his own I guess.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, noor1 said:

Why should anyone watch a show that does not know its own mind? I'm not watching Ep.14, despite it being a great show.

Btw, all that 'looking and thinking' (someone called it 'longing') can be explained away as that of a concerned kindred spirit, concerned manager, concerned friend, concerned older adult - and I am sure that is the way DH will describe it unless someone hits HIM over the head for a change! Remember, he told her that he will not allow himself to be uncomfortable around her, and see her doing well, even after 10-20 years. I'm not saying they should be shipping or non-shipping but at least 'whatever it is' should be clear. I also think ending will be open-ended - unless Ep. 15 gives a shocker of an intimacy that clears up the cloud of ambiguity - and they will still be walking neighborhoods at the end of it all, maybe in different jobs (that is of course if one of them does not die or get lost forever!). But it's unrealistic and crazy. 

I think the show knows its mind. I think the ambiguity of their central relationship is the point of the show.

It's just that this is not what you're expecting or want from the show. 

Yes, exactly. Their interactions can be explained away. Different people will look at their relationship through different lenses. I think this is very much intentional by the writer/director. Remember when Kwang-il couldn't describe what their relationship was like - were they dating? was she his mistress?

I don't find this relationship unrealistic at all, in fact quite the opposite. I think in life, we come across and become close to different people for a number reasons. Yes sometimes those relationships can be easily categorized into neat little boxes but a lot of the times, that is simply not possible.

I believe this show is about the latter. Obviously not everyone enjoys this kind of ambiguity and that's absolutely fine but a piece of art being ambiguous does not negate its value. Isn't that what art is? It's subjective. So many folks on this forum are convinced of the romantic nature of their relationship but if you check out Dramabeans or other forums, you'll find people who only see them as platonic partners and are baffled at the thought of romance. People will see what they want to see. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 7

6 hours ago, MsMinnieFran said:

When I see varied comments it brings home to me how people can see the same thing in such a different way. One comment on YouTube said they hope it doesn't turn into a romance because it is suppose to be a healing drama....another said DH is looking for JA so she can finish her contract... so her resume can look good for her next job I guess "before it is too late" and I am over here swooning because of how obvious and frantic he is being about the possibilty of her not being in his life. To each his own I guess.

who is saying that because that is some delusion.. people really think that hes thinking about her damn contract like what??

I also hate the argument that if they find romance or like each other that it would be a romance drama? im sorry but romance for like a few mins out of 16 episodes does not make it a romance drama. 

he really need's her and is getting angry and panicky i mean that is so damn obvious , i do think some people are expecting a little to much . I think we will get a conformation of his like for her but that will be last episode and maybe last 30mins. 

Edited by LyraYoo
Please do not circumvent the swear filter. Thank you. https://forums.soompi.com/en/topic/489-soompi-forum-rules-updated-042017/
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, MsMinnieFran said:

Yeah, I saw those comments. And was :huh:!!! lol. If you doesn't think it is romance ok, but to say that his worries is related to her work and "welfare" is too much! Really delusional lol.  But in Youtube the majority of comments are for romance, and think that DH likes JA too. 

Edited by ninaanin
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, arctichare said:

I think the show knows its mind. I think the ambiguity of their central relationship is the point of the show.

It's just that this is not what you're expecting or want from the show. 

Yes, exactly. Their interactions can be explained away. Different people will look at their relationship through different lenses. I think this is very much intentional by the writer/director. Remember when Kwang-il couldn't describe what their relationship was like - were they dating? was she his mistress?

I don't find this relationship unrealistic at all, in fact quite the opposite. I think in life, we come across and become close to different people for a number reasons. Yes sometimes those relationships can be easily categorized into neat little boxes but a lot of the times, that is simply not possible.

I believe this show is about the latter. Obviously not everyone enjoys this kind of ambiguity and that's absolutely fine but a piece of art being ambiguous does not negate its value. Isn't that what art is? It's subjective. So many folks on this forum are convinced of the romantic nature of their relationship but if you check out Dramabeans or other forums, you'll find people who only see them as platonic partners and are baffled at the thought of romance. People will see what they want to see. 

If we follow KI as the writer/pd-nim voices, then we will have at the first moment, the ambiguity of their relationship vocalized; but at the second, the certainty that JA is in love with DH is stablished, for KI more than one time (I think twice) said that she was in love, and he was pissed because she was being happy with that. So, there is only a half ambiguity, at least we can say for sure that we have an unrequited love from JA's side. 

• Like 7