[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

4 hours ago, anipanch said:

ahahah I was reading the first pages of the thread, @sadiesmith sorry I had to quote you! 

Just look how far we've come XD IU outdid herself in MA, she definitely deserves some kind of award for LJA's role and maybe a couple's award with LSK as well :lol:

P.S. "I would be over the moon if they go ahead and produce this with a different actress, someone whose acting better matches LSK, but I am very pessimistic." -  this is my favorite line

{hang head in shame}  Hahaha... how you made me eat my words. :lol:  It's like Ji An in one of the earliest episodes mocking DH, asking him if he thought he was so attractive. 

• LOL 8

Oooohhh. That scene of Dong Hoon and the slippers...LSK didn’t even have to say a single word yet you could feel Dong Hoon’s barely repressed anger and frustration and sadness and confusion and everything in between.  I felt my heart beat fast while watching that clip though he never said anything at all.  This man.  This man. Is. Just. Effin’. Amazing.

I wonder how he internalizes before a take and how he gets out of character afterwards. Must be terribly exhausting.  And I’d love to see his BTS with Lee Ji Eun and how they worked on their characters together. They must have had intense workshops.  

• Like 12

@mujay @miracle525   Please note that the slipper is not the fuzzy hairy type that some people (women) prefer but a rather no nonsense usable type.  But engineer Dong Hoon won't wear the slippers. They're too precious to wear.   He will leave it in the drawers and look at it now and then to give him strength.  But they will torture the poor man some more as a reminder of...someone who in 3 months have changed his whole world and made him dwell for meaning within himself.   Can he stand it or go find the sender to thank her?

This story has the making of TIME JUMP.   Ji-an monitoring him from afar, as they do what they need to do (she better her life, him shaping up the office) so that...they can meet again?

@sadiesmith said:"{hang head in shame}  Hahaha... how you made me eat my words. :lol:  It's like Ji An in one of the earliest episodes mocking DH, asking him if he thought he was so attractive.  """

This reminds the reader of........

Two tortoises greet each other one day in the desert.  T1 stretches her  neck out getting to get the fresh air while for T2, only her nose is visible out side the shell.

T1 ask T2 "hey T2, why is your neck so short?"   T 2 answers "I am not sticking mine out...last time a fox almost grab me by the neck, so I'm just sticking my nose out at this point"!!!

• Like 7
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 1

JiAn had to leave because she's in danger.... but the timing though.  I thought she will only leave after he becomes Director.

Upon seeing the slippers , DH felt panic rising within him. 

:(

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, danielassny said:

He has reached his breaking point. All along, DH has been a time-bomb waiting to explode. 

When his subordinates asked him about the outcome of interview, all he cared to ask about is JA. At times, I wonder if his subordinates actually ignorant or pretended not to know of the fact that DH is in love with JA. 

Yes, all he could see was Jian not there at her desk. He didn't hug her.  It was not because he didn't want to  but DH knows the moment their bodies will touch,  it will be game over. All of his defenses will come down and whatever feelings he is trying to control will come crashing down. It will never be about just a hug with them.. their longing for each other is way too much that one thing will lead to another.. So he must stop that from happening then coldly gave her a response and left. 

36 minutes ago, tiger457_stv said:

@timidjock0819  This reader has not seen episode 13, but for superstitious people, 13 is not a lucky number, nor lucky episode...  Sound like with the CEO knowing that she is his enemy, her nerd computer game friend saying that they are being investigated, office is a mess with her presence, her unrequited love rejected, she knows she has to leave.... the little wild cat back to being a wild cat after staying near a nice warm home for a while!  What no one expects, is that Ajusshi blows his top (the volcano burst through the snow)!!!  What would it take for him to calm down?  or will he rumble repressed then explode again like so many volcano?)

However, the destiny of Ji-an the wild cat and Ajusshi the icy volcano is intertwined.... so we just have to monitor the volcano and everything will become clear!

Agree. DH is the wild card. From Gwang Il to the board room, it was always about defending Jian. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, miracle525 said:

Does Dong-hoon actually know about the wiretapping or not?? It still seems ambiguous at this point, by which I'm referring to the phone sequence, from my limited knowledge right now anyway. more arghhhh

No, nothing that shows he knows. 

Quick preview translation

"Lee Seon Gyun explodes. Where did you take that girl and what did you do to her?"

JH: She left the office? She said this neighbourhood is great.

Gossip Girl: Lee Ji An. She killed someone!

Chairman: And so? (something something) Find that girl and bring her back.

JA: So, do you think the police will arrest you?

They vote on PDH's director appointment

PDH: Where did you take that girl and what did you do to her?

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

54 minutes ago, mujay said:

Watching this part, we knew this man lost his precious soul.:bawling:

@mujay. At least he got himself a new pair of slippers. Hahaha. Just joking.  :)

but really. I watched this clip and the first one when they were walking together coz i couldn’t help myself.  I really don’t know why but my heart was beating fast in both cases, like I was nervous or something. It’s like Ji An was saying goodbye and making one last request of Dong Hoon when she asked for hug.  I mean, did you see her face in that scene?  She looked so sad.:(

I’m beginning to think this drama will have a bittersweet ending. Maybe not tragic, but bittersweet in its realism. I think we all need to be ready emotionally for where the last three episodes will take us.

Here’s another quote that I read that fits these two lonely souls who found each other:

The best kiss is the one that has been exchanged a thousand times between the eyes before it reaches the lips.

In their case, with the way they look at each other, then you can say that Dong Hoon and Ji An have already made love so many times. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

Goodness I'm so worried now, what will DH do when he find out that JA does knows everything? It's another betrayal I don't want DH to think that defending her is just a waste ottokee :bawling:  on the other hand I love it when DH walking in slowmo  the feels gosh LSK acting is topnotch.

• Like 6

Haven't seen the entire episode but have seen the clips shared by @mujay

All the scenes with the brothers got me crying so hard!

And that scene at the office was funny (Yoon telling JA if she wanted to go team dinner so much, next time tell him?) and heartwarming (DH about to confront Yoon about picking on JA; Song begging him to stop) at the same time. 

And the ending. YUMMY. 

15 minutes ago, justamom said:

@danielassny totally off topic but following the election news and oh my! Can it be? Can it be! Fingers crossed.

Esok cuti? :ph34r:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mujay said:

tree brothers bonding they suffer ofer the reveal of YH secret.

Please girl you are in danger, are you martir of love:cry:

can the police please go away we dont need you right now

1 hour ago, tiger457_stv said:

I think a time jump could happen either she gets arrested and they timejump and DH is waiting outside and they hug each other and it ends there or shes on the run and watches him from afar , he knows shes listening and always is with him but they meet up and embrace or something? 

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, maryofbethany said:

understanding.
acceptance .
compassion.

these 3 elements were what touches me deep each ep between Dh and JA.. selfless acceptance,  selfless understanding. selfless ocmpassion. 

every week it choked me at my throat watching DH suppressing himself.

DH experienced a deep never regreting love, at least for once, in his life. whatever one ask for some times, is to have at least a 'Once' raw, honest, selfless, surrendering, commiting --- love.

(ok, yes, i ship both of them, painfully.

back to my rabbit hole.)

watching JA walked away.. is like a part of DH life slipping away. can he breathe again, without her?

I am going to go on a rant right about now and I don't care how it sounds.......

- DH just debunked theory of every shipper out there: he and Ji-An are just each other's anchors who met at a difficult time in their lives and he needs or cares for her just as a support system, not a woman. Either that or he is a big moron still in denial. Writer needs to make up her mind, instead of fishing the net for ratings. This whole 'do they / don't they, will they / won't they' is getting on my nerves now. @maryofbethany I agree with you on the selfless part and it's a great, life-affirming trope. I just think that's all there is to it post-Ep.13 - at least as far as this guy is concerned! (he's complicating everything - so what is he going to do when he sees her again? Give her another lecture? A hug? Thank her for the slippers? More healing?) He's just going round in circles. Maybe it's important for him to realize his 'non-platonic feelings' for Ji-An and that can only happen if she is 'missing' even if it is for 3 days. We already know DH will run, like crazy, to her (once he knows she is back at her place) - SO WHAT?! - I don't care anymore! I don't even care whether he gets a divorce from that b**** of a wife of his! I'm also getting tired of this whole 'Ji-An, Ji-An conversation' at work. Writers, turn a freaking page! There's more to life than a supposed non-starter of an affair (which IS an actual emotional affair) with an intern! And those stupid endless 'healing' walks through shabby, bad neighborhood! FGS! Grow Up, DH and Ji-An and writing team!

P.S. the writer of this series has had viewers (and DH) by their balls or whatever since day one: she let Ji-An be seen as a young, pretty but disheveled, always panting, open mouth, eyes averted, totally direct no-filter, strong character - indirectly sexualizing her in front of this naive, straight-laced, boy scout of a guy (who wasn't getting any action at home) - basically a 'dominant' to his 'submissive' - which is part ofJi-An's appeal to DH (the indirect sensual appeal). She's ballsy/ gutsy, he's laidback/ passive. He gets to feel like a romeo without any action; he gets to save her without any medals; he gets to be around her without any commitment / 'labels'. This is not life. This is fantasy. The writer's (and viewers) fantasy. And it's idiotic, not romantic. 

On top of it, there's this emotional connection despite a difference in everything else. And DH keeps explaining it as if it's nothing more than just a support system ('who will understand it?' he says this time around). Unless this drama pulls up its socks and gets real - and DH makes a decision: Ji-An as a road companion or Ji-An as a lover, and then spells it out to her - it's lazy writing. 

- Ji-An has turned into an irritating character all in the span of a single episode! Why is she roaming in JY's hotel room as if she owns the place? Who does she think she is? She's a measly, lowly, 5'2", 40kg girl and anyone else would have broken her neck and thrown her in the river a long time ago! I don't see why JY puts up with her and doesn't just ask one of his goons to get rid of her as soon as she leaves his room or tells someone to come up and do the deed right there and then or at her place?!! No one (other than DH) would even miss or look for her (her friend will be in jail). The drama is a good (adult, serious, strong) author-backed vehicle for the singer IU but the concept of her being alone in rooms / pathways with old, powerful men and calling the shots is very unrealistic. 

- Also, I think the writer has set up the death of either DH or Ji-An at the end - or so it seems from this episode. 

I did not like Ep.13, period (apart from the poor brothers  + DH's desolation).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, justamom said:

@danielassny totally off topic but following the election news and oh my! Can it be? Can it be! Fingers crossed.

Ya. Are you malaysian too? The election commission is playing foul and obviously waiting instruction from caretaker govt. I am super stoked, we are almost there. Just waiting the announcement. Praying hard. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ccl82 said:

Lol. I won't want free holiday from Najib (not likely, he is busy helping Rosmah packing her birkins and diamonds). But it's passed midnight and we still don't know whether we still need to come to work tomorrow. 

So, this give me the chance to stream the raw version of My Ajusshi while waiting for episode 13 to be broadcast later tonight, while refreshing for polling results updates. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

15 minutes ago, noor1 said:

it's lazy writing. 

I disagree. I thought the writing and directing was fascinating. There is so much longing in this episode. He's longing for her. But it's not in his speech. It's on his face. 

The first scene when they walk home. 

JA: "You're taking your time tonight."

DH: (glances at Ji An)

JA: "When you first started walking with me you walked fast. That's because you were uncomfortable with me."

DH: (starts walking very fast away from her)

I'm a scriptwriter myself and this show is amazing on so many counts. I can't even begin to imagine how great this script is. I bet all around Asia actors and directors and scriptwriters are going to study the script. How do you even write something as good as that? I can only imagine the action tags. What would a more plain vanilla drama have done?

(example of lazy scriptwriting)

JA: I wish you didn't have to go tonight. I wish you could spend more time with me.

DH: That makes me uncomfortable. Don't say that. You know that can't happen. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

you said "all characters are so engage & their personal stories mesh with each other lives.  the story of the main characters also tells the story of a whole community. No one character is wasted".....and no character is perfect!

@tiger457_stv  I thank the stars that none of the characters are perfect cause that is what makes this drama a perfect watch.... thank you  

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, danielassny said:
34 minutes ago, ccl82 said:

Lol. I won't want free holiday from Najib (not likely, he is busy helping Rosmah packing her birkins and diamonds). But it's passed midnight and we still don't know whether we still need to come to work tomorrow. 

So, this give me the chance to stream the raw version of My Ajusshi while waiting for episode 13 to be broadcast later tonight, while refreshing for polling results updates. 

No no, just your friendly neighbour over the Causeway feeling excited :)

Why will there be a holiday if they win/lose?