Quantcast

[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

8 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

@40somethingahjumma This reader agrees with you in the unmet expectation of Lawyer Wife.  In reality this reader feels sorry for her... They are not suited for each other, but probably by the time she came to realize that, they already has an infant son!  At that point the instinct is to endure...for the next 9 years then...succumbing to temptation.
Unfortunately she does not seem to be able to redirect her needs toward her son either... altogether a rather lonely woman!

In reality, this reader thinks that Lawyer is a more normal person in this relationship than Engineer Dong Hoon.  H has a martyr personality which is quite rare, since most human is innately some what selfish (i.e. we need to think of our self first).  Lawyer wife is such a person.  With her husband who shares everything with everyone, her piece of affection is too little!   So we should not judge her too harshly...everyone make mistakes (this reader included)!
Once they separate (which is almost certain) she should post a wanted add:  Looking for single 40something man...
without a suitcase!!@@@

Where would the fun be in drama watching if we aren't allowed to judge fictional characters harshly? 

:tongue:

But the reality is that even though everyone makes mistakes... some mistakes have more terrible consequences than others. It's the unseen kid I feel for. :wink: And loneliness can't be a blanket justification for doing silly things. In her case the remedy would have been simple... invade his world and the people in it.

I don't think DH's really a martyr... at least not in the way I understand the word. :wink: He has a highly developed sense of responsibility to his family which is apparently not uncommon with middle children. There's some justification for it. Everyone around him is living the way they want to and he can see that it leads to all kinds of nothing good. But there can be a kind of selfishness to his goodness to if he's using to fill up the emptiness in his own life, to feel better about himself when he doesn't know how else to make the people around him happy.

My main issue with him is not that he takes care of people rather too well but that he bottles things up in rather unhealthy fashion. It's a surefire way of shortening one's life and erupting like a volcano some time down the track.

I don't think the show (nor I) place all the blame in the failure of this marriage entirely on YH's shoulders. But adultery does tend to muddy the waters. :wink:

Thanks for the chat. :)

On 5/8/2018 at 2:40 AM, sadiesmith said:

The production knew from the beginning where the relationship would go, but they deliberately said things that were confusing, things like "this is not a romance drama but a human drama."  You saw romantic trajectory, so did many here.  But there are many who see only platonic feelings.  I am tickled pink that 12 episodes done, we are still in the same place as far as this issue is concerned.  Hahaha..  

I see. :wink: I can't disagree.

Well, just because it isn't a romance drama doesn't mean it can't have romance in it. :D

Whether romance between the leads is allowed to flower, or left as a one-sided infatuation, it's still a wonderful drama that speaks volumes to the human condition.

There's no doubt that DH's response to J'A's confession is fascinating. He's not actively discouraging her overtures... neither is he encouraging them. Except that he seems to be when he continues treating her with respect. I love the dynamic and for me, it's the biggest mystery of all... trying to get inside DH's complex headspace.

On 5/7/2018 at 9:22 PM, nearsea said:

Haha I wouldn't mind if the 40 something man was LSK though. :D 

Also about Yoon Hee, ironically the same thing that irks her, is something I think I would be comfortable with. Like Dong Hoon gives her a lot of space, to do her job, to spend times on her own[ which I personally tend to do a lot, either with work or studies or giving time to friends], so for me it would be a comfortable experience, something that would help me in day to day life. The man even does all the household chores and doesn't bother her with the mundane jobs, so isn't that something women would be happy about?

I'm one of those women who has that sort of marriage you've described and it more or less works for us. I've even managed to get the husband to watch K and C dramas over the last few years. :D Although the housework part needs work.

But I like my in-laws and they don't seem to mind me. Admittedly we are not mutually invasive like DH's family tends to be. :tongue:

But I am surprised that YH isn't that way inclined particularly she's a successful career woman. Maybe  that's the reason why DH thought the way he did about his marriage.

The reason why I don't actively recommend inter-generational relationships in RL isn't just about age necessarily but more about life experiences and the gulf that potentially exists. The maturity of the individuals involved play a part as well. But all the issues that exist in inter-generational relationships also exist in a cross-cultural one.

However, you've noted, in the drama the leads seem to have a lot more in common in terms of values and needs than not.

Okay, I need to do some real work now. Thanks for the chat!

• Like 8
  • Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This scene still makes me tear up whenever I rewatch it. I hope IU, LSK and My Ajushhi team will win many deserving awards for this gem of a drama.          

Detailed analysis - Last scene   If Dong Hoon was still being the old Dong Hoon, he would just say "가 / Go on "   Before the time skip, every time DH and JA had to part ways, he al

The moment he learned that she killed a man...   The moment she turned around because she was sure he would be disgusted and abandon her...   The moment he said he would

Finally the day we wait is come.

Wednesday,-_-

Another heartbroken scene

Revealation and revival?

Anguist and relief?

Or another crime and judgment?

Would we saw they'll less miserable by the end of the story?

Happiness seems closed to embrace them

que sera sera

• Like 8

Annyeong, everyone! It’s Wednesday now in my part of the world. :)

I don’t normally watch livestream but I would be ever so glad if someone will share the livestream link later when Episode 13 airs. I plan to leave work early for it. Meetings be da***d.  Hahahah! :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
8 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@anipanch and everyone else who are restless with the prospect of an open ending, may I suggest you read the fanfics posted upstairs when the pain gets too deep?  I did and it was definitely a healing experience. :lol:

Seeing how this show turns us into obsessive souls, can everyone share with me which other dramas you have similarly obsessed over?  Any other dramas where you just could not stand it anymore if the OTP don't move toward each other, where you root for their happiness so hard your heart hurts, where you fear they won't/will be together in the end?  Where you hunt down fanfics to ease the anxiety?  Maybe I will watch them when this show is over because I will not know how else to pass the days.  

@sadiesmith No other for this reader, although I don't watch many.  a few does give me quite an impact:  Yoona Street, Dae Jang Geum, Mother, Marriage Contract.

Why don't we take a poll before episode 13.... What does Soompi members thinks of the chance for the following endings:

1) Happy ending  2) Unhappy ending  3) Cannot tell.

This reader vote for 70% of happy ending 10% of unhappy ending  20% cannot tell open end.

• Like 6
8 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@anipanch and everyone else who are restless with the prospect of an open ending, may I suggest you read the fanfics posted upstairs when the pain gets too deep?  I did and it was definitely a healing experience. :lol:

Seeing how this show turns us into obsessive souls, can everyone share with me which other dramas you have similarly obsessed over?  Any other dramas where you just could not stand it anymore if the OTP don't move toward each other, where you root for their happiness so hard your heart hurts, where you fear they won't/will be together in the end?  Where you hunt down fanfics to ease the anxiety?  Maybe I will watch them when this show is over because I will not know how else to pass the days.  

My list for you.

The lighty-miss Temper & Nam jung i or the reply series.

The desperate yet satisfied -Secret forest or Signal.

The whole packed is DEAR MY FRIEND my lifetime drama.

That' all  healing drama,  the writer point of view was genuinely to reveal the human life and the society as it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, mujay said:

My list for you.

The lighty-miss Temper & Nam jung i or the reply series.

The desperate yet satisfied -Secret forest or Signal.

That' all  healing drama,  the writer point of view was genuinely to reveal the human life and the society as it.

@mujay  will try to get secret forest/signal.  sound interesting.

• Like 4

@sadiesmith Can be just lightly obsessed? And not only romance too?

- Arang and the Magistrate

- Last

- My love Eun Dong

- Tunnel

- Missing noir M

- My spring day

- Forest of secrets

@tiger457_stv For me: happy ending - 50%; sad ending 40%; don't know (or in my book terrible end lol) 10%. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, aisling said:

Now, I’m most curious about DH’s reaction to wiretapping. This is something they need to resolve this week. Something tells me he won’t react the way most of us expect.

THIS TAPPING of his phone....

Okey it is wrong, it is illegal, and as they say the end does not justify the means....

Her first intention.... was to spy on DH, initially to get money from JY.

Then eventually ..her allegiance transferred to DH.

And as JiAn ..being one of the most who needed  "healing"... this whole wiretapping thing brought her to that journey.

In reality children who had been traumatized and abused should be given counseling and therapy to deal with all those post-traumatic stress.  But none of that was clearly provided for her.   So you see ... "hearing" and monitoring the daily life of this man who have become dear to her... how he himself struggle with life but still has so much kindness to give to others.. and she also learns how he interacts and connects with family and friends... somehow gave her hope that there are still people in this world that are good and kind and really cares.  There's hope, not all is lost.. So in some ways that was the therapy that started the healing for her. 

And as she begins to care for him, she wanted to not just hear him, but also have a means to watch over him.  

There were two instances where she ran to him when she thought he was going to hurt himself, like that time when he fell down on the snow by the railtracks.  And also that one time when she was so worried when he confronted GI, but she ended up crying by the road. 

But much as i don't like her to go to prison because of these...  this wiretapping has got to stop at some point.  Because she's beginning to get too attached to doing it, and that would not be good either.  Maybe once HE BECOMES DIRECTOR ....she would think that by then her mission is over.   And should stop this tapping once and for all. 

• Like 11
8 minutes ago, tiger457_stv said:

@mujay  will try to get secret forest/signal.  sound interesting.

Sure, when you like scifi, thriller or suspend background  that's good choice :)(male favour lol)

for me up now my best list is My Ahjussi

This drama is another level to describe romance, watching MA satisfied  my soul, such kissing, bed scene or trample all rolling here and there felt senseless because when you are already romantic enough you don't need to be even more foolish by such scene. Look what this drama have turned me in to.B)

But yeah PDnim Warmth Hug is nessesary:)

I choose happy ending of course, poor my Jian she need that Hug from our decen Ahjussi. 90%

10 % open ending.

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, mujay said:

Sure, when you like scifi, thriller or suspend background  that's good choice :)(male favour lol)

for me up now my best list is My Ahjussi

This drama is another level to describe romance, watching MA satisfied  my soul, such kissing, bed scene or trample all rolling here and there felt senseless because when you are already romantic enough you don't need to be even more foolish by such scene. Look what this drama have turned me in to.B)

But yeah PDnim Warmth Hug is nessesary:)

I choose happy ending of course, poor my Jian she need that Hug from our decen Ahjussi. 90%

10 % open ending.

am with you on that!!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, berny said:

Okey it is wrong, it is illegal, and as they say the end does not justify the means....

And as JiAn ..being one of the most who needed  "healing"... this whole wiretapping thing brought her to that journey.

In reality children who had been traumatized and abused should be given counseling and therapy to deal with all those post-traumatic stress.  But none of that was clearly provided for her.   So you see ... "hearing" and monitoring the daily life of this man who have became dear to her... how he himself struggle with life but still has so much kindness to give to others.. and she also learns how he interacts and connects with family and friends... somehow gave her hope that there are still people in this world that are kind and really cares.  There's hope, not all is lost.. So in some ways that was the therapy that started the healing for her. 

And as she begins to care for him, she wanted to not just hear him, but also have a means to watch over him.  

There were two instances where she ran to him when she thought he was going to hurt himself, like that time when he fell down on the snow by the railtracks.  And also that one time when she was so worried when he confronted GI, but she ended up crying by the road. 

But much as i don't like her to go to prison because of these...  this wiretapping has got to stop at some point.  Because she's beginning to get too attached to doing it, and that would not be good either.  Maybe once HE BECOMES DIRECTOR ....she would think that by then her mission is over.   And should stop this tapping once and for all. 

I like your psychologie wiretaping analize.

@berny, thank you.

• Like 5
17 minutes ago, berny said:

In reality children who had been traumatized and abused should be given counseling and therapy to deal with all those post-traumatic stress.  But none of that was clearly provided for her.   So you see ... "hearing" and monitoring the daily life of this man who have become dear to her... how he himself struggle with life but still has so much kindness to give to others.. and she also learns how he interacts and connects with family and friends... somehow gave her hope that there are still people in this world that are kind and really cares.  There's hope, not all is lost.. So in some ways that was the therapy that started the healing for her. 

@berny  this reader doesn't think the whole sordid mess will get to the police.  that scandal could destroy the company.  Everything will be done quietly...  Maybe they will send the CEO and director Yoon to....Afghanistan or Syria to open a new construction office!  Hahaha.  that way there is no jail for anyone and the CEO can have fun dodging car bomb and bullets and run around with married women there.... Let see what they do to him!

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

@zenya22   You are right about the need for Engineer Dong Hoon to step in and steer the company ship in the right direction.  As is, this reader doubts that the company will survive the death of the Chairman, with the poisonous infighting at the top level of the company.  If working there, this reader would freshen up his resume and vote with his feet, given the opportunity.  Infighting destroys relations and push the good people to leave... then the company folds.

For Engineer Dong Hoon to take on the big task of cleaning up the company, he will need his undivided attention and help from the rank and file (they almost all seem to like him... Director Yoon could not find one person who worked with him would speak badly about him). 

Oddly enough, the one woman who would support him unconditionally is... Ji-an.  She would not complain if he works late, come home tired and go to bed, has no time to converse even by phone.  She would not demand, only support theman in his task.

Unfortunately she is also his biggest liability with the harm she has done to the company (the Director Park drugging incidence with the lost of the Chinese Contract).

How will this be reconcile so that they can be together, is not clear... it probably will require a significant time jump with her leaving the company.

• Like 9
9 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

It's Wednesday, YAHOOOOOO! 

Just for fun, I wanna share how obsessed I am about MA, and how I've certainly leveled up! 

Early 2000s: Regularly watched some Korean dramas on TV but was not super obsessed or anything (Winter Sonata, Autumn in My Heart, Jewel in the Palace, Successful Story of A Bright Girl, Stairway to Heaven)

2005: Obsessed over My Name is Kim Sam Soon. It was my #1 Kdrama. Even now, I still like to re-watch some of the more memorable scenes.  

Between 2005 - 2018: Periodically watched Kdramas, but nothing outstanding. I did enjoy Marriage Not Dating, and for some strange reason, I watched Habaek. It was so bad, but I soldiered on. 

Jan 2018: Decided to watch Goblin to see what the fuss is all about. Binge-watched the entire show in almost 1 seating. Did not stop talking about Goblin (and Gong Yoo) for 2 weeks. 

Jan 2018: Watched Mother. Did not like it at first, but the show grew on me, and I found myself eagerly anticipating new episodes. I think it was Mother that changed my Kdrama preference.

March 2018 onwards:

• Started watching MA on tvN 
  • A few weeks in, I could no longer wait for new episodes to arrive on Thu/Fri nights, so on Wed/ Thu nights I read Drama Milk's live recaps first around 10pm my time, and stream new episodes around midnight, without English subs. After work Thu/Fri,  I'd watch with subs, and then re-watch on tvN. I've never been this desperate enough to watch new episodes online/ read live recaps (in fact, I didn't even know live recap is a thing!)
  • Check IG / YT constantly for new MA posts/ OST, but that's no longer sufficient, so I decided to join Soompi for like-minded souls
  • Can not stop talking/thinking about the show (trying to get as many colleagues to watch it; I have become a walking ad for MA), and constantly worry DH & JA would not end up together

Also while I'm much more particular about Kdramas, I'm flexible with Korean movies, and watch them on daily basis. I really enjoy violent ones, with underworld theme :) 

• Like 7
  • LOL 4

Koreans Vote On Which Singers They Think Are The Best At Acting

The Korean public has voiced their thoughts on the best singer-turned-actors!

Online survey company PMI recently conducted a survey asking, “Among all the singer-turned-actors, who do you think is the best at acting?” 2,400 respondents of both genders from the ages of 20-50 years old participated in the survey.

.........IU won first place for female singers with 21.7 percent of the votes.

[..................]

IU made her acting debut through the drama “Dream High” in 2011. She went on to star in “You’re the Best, Lee Soon Shin,” “Producer,” and more. She is currently starring as the main lead Lee Ji An in tvN’s “My Ahjussi.”

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, popai5 said:

I also wanted to mention the observations of @tiger457_stv and @h2ogirl regarding how 'the gang' at Jung Hee's bar interacted with JA when they all met. Right away 'the gang' seemed to accept JA and were nice, friendly and joked with her. You get the sense that they would be friendly and accepting to most anyone. JA also accepted their kindness with an out of the ordinary reaction from her, a 'thank you'.

So, you can imagine that 'the gang' was also very welcoming to YH whenever they met. But YH does not like DH's friends. She doesn't want him to hang out with them so much. JA met them once (although she has heard them countless times) and she seems to appreciate them already and may learn to genuinely like them one day (mainly because DH likes and cares for them). Another contrast between YH and JA.

Just something I noticed in one of the episodes after DH found out that JA had actually taken the envelope with the gift certificates and DH was acting a bit cold to her. It was a scene where JA was eating some leftover scraps during her P.T. job at the restaurant. We hadn't seen her eating scraps for a while before this. It made me think that JA was starting to believe that she was more human. That she was better than having to eat someone's left over food. But after DH found out the truth about what she did she felt that she was not human and deserved to eat only the table scraps. I felt so sad for her.

I hope if/when DH finds out about the wiretapping that JH will know or is told that DH still thinks of her as a special person in his life and that she will still feel as if she is a worthy person.

About Yoon-Hee: I agree that she probably doesn't fit in with the Jung-Hee Gang. I don't know if she dislikes them, but I definitely can't picture her hanging out with them drinking soju bombs. Her idea of a good time seems to be drinking wine and listening to jazz with Joon-Young.

And about the Park brothers' mother's birthday scene: some interpreted that sequence as how Yoon-Hee got along pretty well with them, while some thought that it made her seem like an outsider, because her mother-in-law asked her to not cook and seemed to hold her at arm's length.

Also, Dong-Hoon mentioned to Ji-An later that Sang-Hoon's wife was his classmate during school. So maybe they all had their own inside jokes or something that Yoon-Hee felt like she couldn't be part of.

Anyway, it seems like an open question: whether she felt lonely because his family and friends never fully embraced her, or vice versa.

--

About Ji-An: that is an amazing observation, and I think you are right. And I think it goes both ways, too. DH being in Ji-An's life has made her care about herself more. And Ji-An being in his life has made DH care about himself more, too, more in tune with what he wants for himself.

(And what he wants is a new pair of slippers!)

• Like 9
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Yeah, I think he will accept it.

He will, otherwise this drama doesn't need to continue. I think we mostly agree on this site that JA MUST tell DH about it, or it must be revealed somehow.

If, as per  someone's observation in older posts, that DH is consciously talking to JA when she's texting him is true, I think that is a brilliant way to resolve their issue.

9 hours ago, aisling said:

Now, I’m most curious about DH’s reaction to wiretapping. This is something they need to resolve this week. Something tells me he won’t react the way most of us expect.

This writer will definitely not resolve it in the way we want. That's why I'm waiting another 18 hours for the subbed episode today to see what she's gonna do to us.

On 5/6/2018 at 9:18 PM, popai5 said:

@africandramalover I did watch 'The Lunchbox' at the theater when it came out! I really loved the film too! I won't spoil the ending

but for me I understand why it was done that way and I have my own ideas of what happened next. I'm hoping to get the film on dvd.

That was an  ending done right. There was enough to conclude what will happen next though I love closed endings more:wub:. I keep a copy of the movie in every device I own. If I am ever stranded on a remote island, at least I have my entertainment sorted! 

12 hours ago, justamom said:

Ahn Pan Seok's Secret Love Affair! @africandramalover will surely agree. I think I watched the show at least thirty times. :ph34r:

Ahn Pan Seok's A Wife's Credentials is very good as well, also starring Kim Hee Ae.

And, I also loved Misty to bits, which just ended, although not everyone here may agree. Just ignore the last fifteen minutes. :rolleyes:

Misty!! LOL!! That would have been screenplay of the year at the Baeksang had it not been the ending. It was still brilliant though. I listen to the soundtrack as I work my courage to watching it again.

Secret Love Affair and A Wife's Credentials are obvious choices. :heart: !!! I'll rewatch both after My Ajussi ends.

My other OTP's are:

Marriage Contract - The moment they finally kissed was like fireworks on New Years.... Damn. They're the second Ajussi couple I loved. UEE gave an A* performance here.

My Spring Day - A drama I watched just for the hell of it, but came to love. I'm not interested in older men in real life, but this drama made me think.....hmmmmm!!! I loved the OTP here.

CIty Hall. The GREAT Queen Sun Ah in my gateway drama. When my friends question why I watch "those Korean programs", I dare them to watch this drama and they all fall in love and start "pestering"  me for drama recommendations. Kim Sun Ah and Cha Seung Won had chemistry for the ages. 

I had a little scare last night.... My Internet service was down so you can imagine the strategies I laid down to watch tonights episode (including downloading the RAW while in my evening class and getting the subs when they come out later tonight). It is like they read my mind. they've restored service, so it's me and Episode 13 from around midnight East Africa Time (GMT +3)!!

• Like 9
2 hours ago, ccl82 said:

It's Wednesday, YAHOOOOOO! 

Just for fun, I wanna share how obsessed I am about MA, and how I've certainly leveled up! 

Early 2000s: Regularly watched some Korean dramas on TV but was not super obsessed or anything (Winter Sonata, Autumn in My Heart, Jewel in the Palace, Successful Story of A Bright Girl, Stairway to Heaven)

2005: Obsessed over My Name is Kim Sam Soon. It was my #1 Kdrama. Even now, I still like to re-watch some of the more memorable scenes.  

Between 2005 - 2018: Periodically watched Kdramas, but nothing outstanding. I did enjoy Marriage Not Dating, and for some strange reason, I watched Habaek. It was so bad, but I soldiered on. 

Jan 2018: Decided to watch Goblin to see what the fuss is all about. Binge-watched the entire show in almost 1 seating. Did not stop talking about Goblin (and Gong Yoo) for 2 weeks. 

Jan 2018: Watched Mother. Did not like it at first, but the show grew on me, and I found myself eagerly anticipating new episodes. I think it was Mother that changed my Kdrama preference.

March 2018 onwards:

• Started watching MA on tvN 
  • A few weeks in, I could no longer wait for new episodes to arrive on Thu/Fri nights, so on Wed/ Thu nights I read Drama Milk's live recaps first around 10pm my time, and stream new episodes around midnight, without English subs. After work Thu/Fri,  I'd watch with subs, and then re-watch on tvN. I've never been this desperate enough to watch new episodes online/ read live recaps (in fact, I didn't even know live recap is a thing!)
  • Check IG / YT constantly for new MA posts/ OST, but that's no longer sufficient, so I decided to join Soompi for like-minded souls
  • Can not stop talking/thinking about the show (trying to get as many colleagues to watch it; I have become a walking ad for MA), and constantly worry DH & JA would not end up together

Also while I'm much more particular about Kdramas, I'm flexible with Korean movies, and watch them on daily basis. I really enjoy violent ones, with underworld theme :) 

@ccl82   We are all FISHES......  HOOKED by My Mister!

I decided I am Catfish nosing around every where looking for more information!  If you are a My Mister fish, what would you be??

9 minutes ago, africandramalover said:

He will, otherwise this drama doesn't need to continue. I think we mostly agree on this site that JA MUST tell DH about it, or it must be revealed somehow.

If, as per  someone's observation in older posts, that DH is consciously talking to JA when she's texting him is true, I think that is a brilliant way to resolve their issue.

This writer will definitely not resolve it in the way we want. That's why I'm waiting another 18 hours for the subbed episode today to see what she's gonna do to us.

That was an  ending done right. There was enough to conclude what will happen next. I have a copy of the movie in every device I own. If I am ever stranded on a remote island, I have my entertainment sorted.

Misty!! LOL!! That would have been screenplay of the year at the Baeksang had it not been the ending. It was still brilliant though. I listen to the soundtrack as I work my courage to watching it again.

Secret Love Affair and A Wife's Credentials are obvious choices. :heart: . I'll rewatch both after My Ajussi ends.

My other OTP's are:

Marriage Contract - The moment they finally kissed was like fireworks on New Years.... Damn. They're the second Ajussi couple I loved. UEE gave an A* performance here.

My Spring Day - A drama I watched just for the hell of it, but came to love. I'm not interested in older men in real life, but this drama made me think.....hmmmmm!!! I loved the OTP here.

CIty Hall. The GREAT Queen Sun Ah in my gateway drama. When my friends question why I watch "those Korean programs", I dare them to watch this drama and they all fall in love and start "pestering"  me for drama recommendations. Kim Sun Ah and Cha Seung Won had chemistry for the ages. 

I had a little scare last night.... My Internet service was down so you can imagine the strategies I laid down to watch tonights episode (including downloading the RAW while in my evening class and getting the subs when they come out later tonight). It is like they read my mind. they've restored service, so it's me and Episode 13 from around midnight East Africa Time (GMT +3)!!

@africandramalover  this reader totally agree with you about marriage contract.... the Japanese version of it which came out in 2010 was NAGAREBOSHI (Shooting Star), with different ending that you will like.  It was probably one of the best Japanese show.  Another unusual Japanese show was Mitsu no Aji (a touch of honey)...about difficult to reconcile relationship.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 6
5 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I'm one of those women who has that sort of marriage you've described and it more or less works for us. I've even managed to get the husband to watch K and C dramas over the last few years. :D Although the housework part needs work.

Ahaha high five! I'm also fortunate to have a large degree of independence in my marriage, and have also gotten hubby hooked on K drama. He used to watch only saeguk or action/crime, but now watches 'mature adult' because of me!:lol:

You are absolutely right about Yeon Hee-- shouldn't she have accepted it as part of the deal to be a career woman? But I think the ultimate breaking point is they were both lonely, extremely lonely in the marriage. And their son's departure to the US made it all the more obvious.

4 hours ago, mujay said:

Ooh I heard good things about this one, want to watch it too!

@ccl82 your story sounds like mine! Autumn Love was my first K Drama (as it was for many of us in Asia) but I only started getting hooked after I watched Secret Love Affair in 2016. And I couldn't take Mother, it was too heavy, though I plan to finish watching it soon. I absolutely loved Misty which I followed like a maniac before My Ahjussi, but its been two heavy dramas in a row and I plan on watching something light next!

10 hours ago, 2handsintertwined said:

@justamom I'm sorry. I think I was rude to you. I was a little jealous :).

Haha don't worry. No offense taken at all! In all honesty I think Gong Yoo's more 'feminine' side matched better with Eun Chan's 'masculine' side. But as a woman, personally. I found Lee Seon Gyun's character wayyy hotter. I have a thing for male musicians :wub:

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
  • Go Seung Ji changed the title to [Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards