[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Hello everyone! How's your drama watching lately? I am naturally watching LSK's new drama, but while I am enjoying it, it does not even begin to fill the hole left by My Ajusshi. I am slowly rewatching My Ajusshi on Viki and the new (improved) subs keep me engaged. The timed comments also had me giggling through many scenes. Many of their reactions mirrored my own when watching it for the first time during live airing. :lol: Wish everyone who's still here a happy 2020!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone watch Lee Sun Gyun at the SAG Awards with the cast of Parasite? (They won the ensemble cast award, the last award of the night, and it was history! The first foreign cast to win this award!)

I loved that when they introduced the movie earlier in the ceremony, the cast just straight up spoke Korean for most of it (with subtitles on the TV screen!) I thought Choi Woo-Shik would just be the one speaking, because he speaks fluent English, but no, everyone had a chance to say something, and it was AWESOME.

And Choi Woo-Shik broke out his English at the end, and it was like... awww, so adorable!

When Lee Sun Gyun spoke, that voice, THAT VOICE, that mellifluous, sonorous voice. You don't have to understand Korean to know that voice is HAWWWT.

He looked very natty, too. Ji-An would be proud.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

53 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Anyone watch Lee Sun Gyun at the SAG Awards with the cast of Parasite? (They won the ensemble cast award, the last award of the night, and it was history! The first foreign cast to win this award!)

I loved that when they introduced the movie earlier in the ceremony, the cast just straight up spoke Korean for most of it (with subtitles on the TV screen!) I thought Choi Woo-Shik would just be the one speaking, because he speaks fluent English, but no, everyone had a chance to say something, and it was AWESOME.

And Choi Woo-Shik broke out his English at the end, and it was like... awww, so adorable!

When Lee Sun Gyun spoke, that voice, THAT VOICE, that mellifluous, sonorous voice. You don't have to understand Korean to know that voice is HAWWWT.

He looked very natty, too. Ji-An would be proud.

Here's the cast and LSK introducing their movie:

And here's LSK commenting on this historic achievement. He is one to never miss an opportunity to crack a joke. :lol:

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, guys!

Haven't visit this thread for ages :sweatingbullets:

Hope you're all well :kiss_wink:

Anyway, I found this MA's fan twitter account.

It's new, their bio said they joined this February.

One of the post is talking about "the important question" : is PDH divorced or not?

If I read the translation correctly, they also thought that PDH is divorced from the way he called KYH "ae Omma" instead of "jibsaram"

I know it's something we've all discussed before (and us shipper adamantly believe :grimace:) but it's just nice to get more validation from Korean :D silly, I know

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I finally marathon this drama these past two days. I was busy with work back when it aired and I knew this was an emotional drama so I have been saving it. It definitely is one of the best modern Kdrama that I have seen. It was so good and deserving of all the praise. I loved the focus on the messy but yet so important relationships are, esp. the contemporary family (even tho sometimes the brothers drove me nuts). Also the theme of how doing good for others is always possible and that it can inspire positive change especially in people that many have written off or given up on themselves. It is hard and messy in helping others but in the end, it can lead to better change/things for everyone. It is a good message for these stressful times to be more empathetic and kinder to all. 

• Like 5

Hi to the last few who still post on this thread!

I've been watching 'A Piece of Your Mind' and it reminds me of our drama MA.

This is a 'quiet' drama. It is shot during the same season as when MA started so the characters are wearing similar clothing.

I could imagine LJE and LSK playing the lead characters in this drama. The male lead even has his hair styled similarly to DH.

The female lead lives in a hilly area like JA. There is a device where you listen to someone's voice similar to JA's wiretapping.

There is talk of 'everything is fine' and 'it's nothing'. Not quite like 'it's not a big deal' but close.

Episodes 2 and 3 really gave me these feelings of similarity. Episode 1 was a bit like 'oh no, not another AI drama' in the beginning

but it was interesting enough to keep me watching although being somewhat confusing. It is not another AI drama if you keep watching.

Well, I wish tvN, the writer and PD had at least considered casting LJE and LSK for the roles. I just picture them instead of the actual actors sometimes in certain scenes (boy am I crazy). The lead actor can be a younger LSK although he doesn't have the voice.

Still hoping for a LJE and LSK reunion in TV drama or film.

Anyhow, stay healthy everyone!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm kicking myself for not watching this drama when it aired two years ago in 2018. A true gem. That year was loaded with lots of tv shows & I only watched Prison Playbook, Mother, Life of Mars, & Mr Sunshine. Yes, I was one of those who was put-off by MM because the idea of romance between the two characters & was skeptical. I actually didn't know what the story was about. I only knew that IU & LSK were the two main actors to lead it. I watched the whole thing on viki the past days & so glad that I did after 2 years lol. Better late than never right. I didn't have any expectation of MM but I knew it was going to make me cry buttload of tears lol. I was pleasantly suprised how good it was & liked it ALOT. 

From a technical standpoint, fantastic. The directing style, camera work, & editing.

Spoiler

Love the tone & setting. It's very grounded & realistic tone. The comic relief wasnt over the top but definitely enjoyable to watch. It almost gave me a Prison Playbook kind of humor. There was a thriller vibe too with the slight shakey camera work. MM had a pleasnt soundtrack from ost to the bgm but the way it was incorporated throughout the show was good. I also liked the parts where it lacked music when everything was surrounded by natural sounds from the surrounding. Kudos to the music directors & production team involved.

The editing is on point. Such an organic flow of storytelling with smooth transitions. It was almost like a long 16 plus hour movie than a show.

Spoiler

The writing was consistent from start to finish. Liked how contained & grounded it was. A solid-strong screenplay, in terms of it's dialogue which is one of my favorite thing about the show. There's a level of maturity in it & its reflected in its characters onscreen. The interactions between the characters was so good & charming. Lots of personality without it being loud or bolstering. The writer & director knows how to portray such nuance & subtlety, along with all the actors portraying their respective characters, from the way they spoke to the their movements/actions within their setting/situation. The thing that struck me was the storytelling. Impeccable. I liked that the viewers are dropped immediately into the setting without any info of the main characters other than they both work at a company together. The juxtaposition between PDH & LJA in the first few minutes in the 1st episode with the ladybug & how they react to it was so spot on the characterization. That moment, I knew what kind of characters they were going to be. I love those kinds of little things. It really makes the characters. 

About the characters themselves, in regards to LJA & PDH. Really great characterization throughout & liked how super flawed they were. I could relate to them whether it be personal or people I know with similar experiences.

Spoiler

LJA was such a fascinating character. I enjoyed her a whole lot. Her movements, posture, & tone in voice & the way she carried herself both physically & mentally. Her character development & how the progression unfolds was so well done. The nuance & her change in attitude was just so fascinating to watch. I loved her relationship with her grandma, so endearing. I liked that she wasn't presented as someone who was pitiful but quite resilient & headstrong even though she was cynical & poor. Loved her intuitiveness, keen observation, & street smarts. I also liked that even though she was young in contrast to the PDH, LJA was never presented as someone who was naive. The thing that I like about PDH is that he physically & mentally, onscreen & in screenplay, feels like an actual middle aged man. It's not just his appearance, but the way he carried himself. He's like an actual adult male character. The way the show highlighted his burden to keep it together whether it be his own personal struggle with himself, his marital problems, or family affairs, was good. I like that his good nature was also his downfall & his passitivity to his problems was also the core of it, besides his self-esteem. Just like LJA, I enjoyed his character too. Well written main characters. I like how different they were but had a deep connection & mutual understanding of eachother. 

I love their character development. Their personality was intact but the change in attitude towards themselves & eachother was present. It never felt like a 180 degree drastic change. Everything is so subtle.

So many lines exchanged between the PDH & LJA were fantastic. There are too many scenes that I enjoyed. The one that stuck with me was in regards to these two were -

Spoiler

- PDH telling LJA that she is good & listening to the recording on repeat by the staircase.

- LJA telling PDH that he's a very good person at their dinner out.

- The confession at the train tracks when he hits her on the back of her head.

- The 30000 year old - reborn comment & how she'll like to be reborn again at that neighborhood.

- PDH's "I would have killed him to If I were her" & gave GI a classic @$$ whooping that he deserved.

- Grandma's notes to PDH at the senior hospital care.

- LJA signing to her grandma that she is happy she met someone like PDH when she cried. So much crying lol.

- Can I hug you once? That was the most precious thing the second time around she said asked for it when they had to part ways.

- PDH calling LJA pretty because she is pretty lol. I mean IU is just pretty no matter what. 

- PDH at the cinema speaking to LJA through the phone after knowing about the wiretapping. 

-  'Its nothing'.

- PDH telling LJA the meaning of her name & if she found comfort at the end.

- LJA telling PDH the reasons why she likes him at the hospital bed.

- the after funeral procession when PDH lifts LJA grandma's ashes away between her hands & watching her run with grandma's photo to the bus from behind.

- PDH's meaning why he chose LJA because of the 'running' on her resume

- when LJA erased the wiretapping program from her phone & cuts to PDH walking at night, his steps silent. This was just a good scene. 

- Handshake initation in the last scene.

- the whole 10 or 20 years later speech if when they meet again, hell greet her warmly.

I'm not sure what was the writer's intent but I liked that the relationship between LJA & PDH was not romanticized. I'm not sure how to describe PDH & LJA's relationship because it's a mixture of alot of things. So much layer & complexities, cant really put a label on it. One of the better if not best relationship written between two characters I've come across in a show. 

Spoiler

I do view their relationship to eachother as something very precious that transcends/goes

beyond romantic love. It is the experience of human love that of kindness/compassion & understanding. Although LJA liked PDH, I think it stems alot from admiration & respect because PDH saw her as a human being whom others would have scoffed away her as a nuisance & he was someone she could relate to on a personal level because the love for their family vice versa. Family is both very important to LJA & PDH. The attraction & obvious emotional attachment they both have for eachother is there. There is no denying that. Their relationship is one of my favorite thing, from interactions to dialogue. The depth & level of understanding they have for eachother was so deep & touching, albeit the whole wiretapping issue lol. Alot of great tension & tender moments too. 

SH & GH - the brothers 

Spoiler

These two were very hilarious to the point they were unbearable sometimes lol. Not in a bad way though. GH is just a drama queen which makes sense since he was a former director lol. I did enjoy watching them. Although I wasnt a huge fan of GH & neither did he really had an overarching personal arch in the show. Would have like to see more of him trying to get his groove back into directing/writing instead of him being in a relationship with YR & cleaning. SH spending his money to help with the funeral procession was such nice gesture/big thing to do not just for LJA but for PDH too. It just shows how important LJA has been apart of PDH's life now & ultimately their's.

PDH & YH and marital problems.

I liked how the show illustrate it as not a simplistic as most tv show presents marriage problems to be.

Spoiler

It's more complex than just signing away divorce papers from the get go & that be all/said & done. They both were at fault. These two definitely were so out of touch from eachother. The lack of communication. I honestly didnt hate YH as much as I should but I hate her decisions/

guts though. These two were just not on the same page. He's family/community man while YH is more secluded/individualistic. They both were not going to compromise to make it work so ultimately it wasnt going to last after a 20 year streak. The toxicity was strong.

Btw, DJY can go eat a cactus lol. 

The age gap issue.

Spoiler

Before watching the show, I read that there was not any romance, therefore the age gap was not an issue to me. The imbalance of power was never present either. MM seemed like a drama I could watch without worrying there'll be any cheesy or corny stuff. To me the age gap worked within the context of the story because LJA is presented as young & troubled who still has alot to learn. PDH being an older person with life experiences, in which he guides her in terms of the social sphere of people & community. And vice versa too, since PDH learned from LJA. There is so much nuance & depth in the progression and development between PDH & LJA relationship to eachother. It felt so organic & smooth like butter the way it unfolds.

MM isnt a romance but the relationship between PDH & LJA is profound & unique. Way better written than any romance I've seen between two characters, but then again I dont watch romance drama much. I get bored easily lol. It's funny because I watched Mr. Sunshine that year too which had a huge age gap between the main characters, not as big as MM though. I'd say the romance in MS was overtly heavy handed & way too on the nose. It lacked depth & nuance, atleast to me. I actually dropped the show halfway. Also, not huge fan of the writer. I could never get into her stuff. She wrote Goblin too, which also had a huge age gap, a show that I didnt care for as well. 

IU & LSK acting

Spoiler

Really great chemistry onscreen. Everything from dialogue to interaction felt super organic. Love the nuance performance from both. I was suprised how well they both acted together onscreen since LSK was so much older than IU. I liked that IU was given alot to do physically & emotionally. This is actually the second drama I've watched IU in besides You're the Best LSS. I know who LSK is, never seen his work. But I do remember watching him in Coffee Prince so many years ago lol. It helps when the show has great director & a solid writer/script to pull off great performances throughout. The whole cast/production was consistent throughout. The both were befitting of LJA & PDH.

Overall, MM was a solid great show from directing to script, strong from beginning to end. MM has a very unconventional storytelling so it really peaked my interest from the get-go.

Spoiler

I cried like 3 or 4 times watching the last episode alone. I lost count how many times I cried watching MM throughout lol. Because of the subtlety in its storytelling, would have loved to see PDH & LJA's transition from their current life to their new life within the 1+ year time span instead it being a quick montage/straight cut at the end. Would love to know more what happen to KB (LJA's friend). There's so much meaning within MM & its characters, it'll be a long essay to pinpoint everything about it lol. But the one takeaway, the the thing that stuck out to me the most was PDH's kindness & openess to LJA, who probably saw herself as temporary & nothing whereever she went & the fact that he open himself and his community of people to her is such an important & pivotal point within the story in MM. I like the juxtaposition of PDH & LJA at the end from how they were always eating in dark enclosed spaces to more bright open areas. LJA transition from a cynical impoverished person who holds the whole weight of the world on her shoulder & always on the run into someone who found a sense comfort at the end was such a joy to see. Him reaching out for a handshake is a nice call back to when he said he would greet her even after years past.

Theres so much more to say but it'll be a whole book if I go on lol.

@stella77

I watched & finished it a few days ago too. I'm 2 years late but MM is definitely one of the better dramas that I watched in a while. All the praises that was given to the MM is well deserved. The show really captures the essence what it means to reach out to people & the simple act of kindness & how much impact it can change someone's life. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

@sadiesmith

I found out it was on VIKI just recently so I decided to give it a watch. The first episode immediately hooked me in. When I reached the last episode, I didnt want MM to end. I wouldn't have mind if MM was a longer show lol. I just wanted to see more. You're welcome. MM is definitely those shows that sticks with you. It may not be for everyone but I enjoyed it whole-heartedly. 

There's many great things about MM. Wished I watched the show when it aired lol. LJA & PDH's were so inseparable throughout the show. When they had to part ways near the tracks & LJA asked to hug PDH once, it was so precious. I teared up lol. I love their unconventional comaraderie. They have a kindred spirit in eachother. A strong bond. I loved all their moments. Her relationship with grandma & PDH were two of my favorite things about the show, besides everything else that I mentioned above lol. The use of sign language when she communicates with her grandma is so touching. The relationship LJA & PDH have is definitely one of the stronger & well written relationship between two characters in a while in a drama. Kudos to the screenwriter because the dialogue/conversation & interactions were always engaging onscreen. Never a dull moment. I liked how she could easily recognize PDH by his voice at the end. 

Also, LJA is so witty & tactical in the way she speaks & thinks. I loved how she fiddled DYJ like a fool, or well almost everyone around her lol. She's so great. Loved her overall characterization. As well as PDH. It's really nice to see a male character who physically/mentally

talks & acts like an adult. Loved that he had the upmost respect for LJA's wellbeing & treated her with so much care. The total awareness & maturity they both have in eachother's presence. Also the internal & external conflicts on the show was *chef kiss*. Liked how everything played out. Another note, I like how the

characters dont feel superficial/2-D. They genuinely feel like people I'd meet or see in the streets or

neighborhood. The writer does a great job at avoiding typical cliche/tropes too.

Btw, is there a physical copy of MM's soundtrack or official DVD release of the show with ENG sub?  

• Like 6

On 4/6/2020 at 9:45 PM, greenwatch08 said:

Btw, is there a physical copy of MM's soundtrack or official DVD release of the show with ENG sub?  

VIKI subs really are the best. Glad you were able to watch it on that platform although I also wish you had watched with the rest of us during the initial airing. There were so many good discussions coming from all perspectives. Come check out the fansite if you like. You can find the link below.

I don't think there is an official DVD release with English sub yet. My wish is for it to be available on Netflix just so more people would have easier access to it. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched this drama for the first time and omg it was so good. There's too much to say so I'll just say this. There seems to be two types of people who've seen MM. The romantic and non-romantic.

I'm firmly in the romantic camp. :wub: Their chemistry was so amazing. Every moment they were on screen together - even standing on opposite sides of the street was oozing with chemistry. However the relationship was so complex it can be taken in different ways.

Most of the time in dramas, when the main couple gets together I lose interest because the tension is gone. In MM, they never "get together" in that sense so the tension was there until the very end. This drama was everything I never knew I needed. 

• Like 7

Suddenly missing this drama again and Im happy a lot more people get to see it too! And it’s also amusing the different views we have towards the relationship between PDH and LJA but that we all agree, whatever it is, is that its a beautiful and unique one. 

I also stumbled upon this article, again showcasing how we have different views in regards to their relationship. 
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.scmp.com/magazines/style/celebrity/article/3074258/mr-sunshine-goblin-and-3-other-korean-may-december

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Keep your mask on and keep your distance, guys! Stay Safe: a message brought to you by our beloved couple.

From the DCInside My Mister Gallery: https://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=mymister&no=63965&_rk=urT&page=1

Ji An: Can I hug you once?

Dong Hoon: No!

Click on the image for a better view:

uLLEFs1pV8jxQr5ncwIFE0s8u-4XBWDdTh5L7zke1lj9AINi54UiNPQrdvMeZYAj2L4ZaCiUkbXmwUnqU0i5Sie2L2H5zjQcuwFYNuDWQKqkZkupb5Zlg0nv_JEBScIWJZy5QWAi

So how do you keep your loved one close when you have to be physically apart?

That's what wiretapping is for. :lol:

• LOL 7