[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Just had a crazy thought.....what if, while in college, YH became pregnant with JY’s baby.  Then at the same time she finds out she is pregnant then JY goes and announces his marriage to someone else.  With YH’s dilemma, DH helps her out by marrying her and raising her son as his.

JY doesn’t know the child is his son and is oblivious about what YH went through.  Now a year ago he shows up and starts up an affair.  She thinks she finally gets the biological father of her son so her family is complete.

DH’s reaction to YH & JY is like...not again....you hurt her then and now you are back to damage her further.  DH’s reaction is like a friend or brother toward YH for the affair, he wants to minimize the pain YH will go through.  JY’s family most likely abruptly brought in a marriage partner and he had to do what the families arranged.   Though it’s almost as if he fooled around with YH in college just to get back at DH because he was jealous of his self-confidence and popularity.  It a brain tease.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

27 minutes ago, desertflower said:

Just had a crazy thought.....what if, while in college, YH became pregnant with JY’s baby.  Then at the same time she finds out she is pregnant then JY goes and announces his marriage to someone else.  With YH’s dilemma, DH helps her out by marrying her and raising her son as his.

JY doesn’t know the child is his son and is oblivious about what YH went through.  Now a year ago he shows up and starts up an affair.  She thinks she finally gets the biological father of her son so her family is complete.

DH’s reaction to YH & JY is like...not again....you hurt her then and now you are back to damage her further.  DH’s reaction is like a friend or brother toward YH for the affair, he wants to minimize the pain YH will go through.  JY’s family most likely abruptly brought in a marriage partner and he had to do what the families arranged.   Though it’s almost as if he fooled around with YH in college just to get back at DH because he was jealous of his self-confidence and popularity.  It a brain tease.

What a strange idea:lol:

Let see what the mine reason their mariagge can't completed their evolution be happy grown up people then.

• Like 2

On 4/14/2018 at 1:49 PM, bedifferent said:

I learn a lot about Buddhism from you guys.  Thanks!  Question:  Nowhere did I hear mentioning of a higher being that DH can turn to for spiritual guidance.   It's all about inner strength and self reliance. I welcome your thoughts on this please.

@bedifferent not easy to answer, maybe we should text the monk, LOL,  but what he said in his text bout "you are just your weight" is deep. "self" is the cause of the problem. But to answer your question, in some sects of Buddhism, there are practices where one calls on the Buddha or a saint such as Guanyin but as a form of meditation. There are malas  such as bracelets made of wood and one recites the Buddhha's  or the saint's name with each bead, to calm the mind, concentrate to "just be". There is also the practice of chanting the Buddha''s name as a form of meditation.

I messaged you. Hope you don't mind

• Like 4

Pretty Noona has been the most discussed drama two weeks in a row now, but My Mister is still sitting comfortably in number 2 spot four weeks into airing. 

2018041701001442900106612.jpg

In the actor category, the two leads from Pretty Noona are occupying top two spots, followed by IU at number 3 (same as last week), and ... (drumroll please)... Lee Sun Kyun at number 4, with a jump of 6 spots!!  Yay!  But most comical is PD Kim Won Seuk making the chart at number 10.  Hahaha... I guess the press conference was effective after all.

2018041701001442900106613.jpg

http://sports.chosun.com/news/news.htm?id=201804170100144290010661&ServiceDate=20180416

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Something keeps playing on mind, maybe from years of watching kdrama.

That scene where JA plays the recording to YH is it really as it seemed? Or was it to also show us that JA records the conversations she has with JY? I am hoping for the latter because that is one way for JA to keep seeing DH without the impending threat of JY. She can just expose the recording and bring him down. But there is also the backlash to her...my head hurts :( I want JA and DH to be happy even if not together but by themselves.

As hard as it is to admit, DH is not the kind of guy that inspires passion--well not the sort that YH wants. They should bid each other adieu. The pain of watching a love one pine over someone else was palpable to us viewers at least. I would like to see DH leave YH. At least, on his terms. What makes her unforgivable was she was ok to ruin him, sure she had guilt trips but her sin is too great for me to wish them happiness.

Is it Wednesday yet?

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Kimchi Sweet Potato said:

Something keeps playing on mind, maybe from years of watching kdrama.

That scene where JA plays the recording to YH is it really as it seemed? Or was it to also show us that JA records the conversations she has with JY? I am hoping for the latter because that is one way for JA to keep seeing DH without the impending threat of JY. She can just expose the recording and bring him down. But there is also the backlash to her...my head hurts :( I want JA and DH to be happy even if not together but by themselves.

As hard as it is to admit, DH is not the kind of guy that inspires passion--well not the sort that YH wants. They should bid each other adieu. The pain of watching a love one pine over someone else was palpable to us viewers at least. I would like to see DH leave YH. At least, on his terms. What makes her unforgivable was she was ok to ruin him, sure she had guilt trips but her sin is too great for me to wish them happiness.

Is it Wednesday yet?

@Kimchi Sweet Potato oh yes, and I also think that's the way she'll bring JY down and restore DH's honor who will find himself utterly trapped by the affair-accusation. I don't think DH will ever find out she (spied) listened to him - rather just that she was asked to lay a trap for DH by JY and here is so and so evidence. (If he finds out, then he'll either shrug it off or never see her again!). Of course, in this way, the girl becomes the knight in shining armor for the guy (and repays his kindness towards her), JY will find it difficult to find a job anywhere else (because who wants a CEO who plans seduction games to oust employees? Trust and respect are important in leadership), and YH will also lose more respect for her former lover, DH will be apologized to by his company, praised, appraised and get his 'planning' job as he wanted all along.

Of course, this means DH does not do anything to save himself - and he seriously needs to be more proactive! (like lollypip says on dramabeans, 'hope Ji-An's moxy rubs off on him'). 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Were you talking about Gong Yoo and Goblin by any chance?  So popularity matters.  Do you also think that Kim Go Eun, not being an idol, just did not bring out the antis/overprotective immature fans the way IU's idol status did?

Lol yes I am, I really think it got blown up soo much more due to these factors: 1) the actors popularity( no disrespect to LSK btw bc he’s an excellent actor!! And a sexy one at that), 2) metoo movement, 3) IUs crazy antis 

• Like 6

19 hours ago, nearsea said:

Lol I agree! Man and woman only get friend zoned when there is no possibility of any romance happening...or when they don't feel the spark.

Yes, lol my philosophy professor once said that man and woman behave very differently in this situation bc when a woman’s mind is made up the guy becomes a non-sexual entity like a lamp lol but a man can always change his mind 

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

On 4/15/2018 at 8:42 AM, joowonie said:

I completely agree that KWS isn’t some push over and I’ve realized all of the backlash stems from knetz’s double standards and biases towards certain actors. Another popular actor ( my other hot ajusshi) was in a drama that had a love line with a much younger girl but it didn’t seem to garner any backlash due to that fact that the story was done in a tasteful way and the actor was very beloved by knetz.

MA is a perfect example of why you shouldn’t judge a book by its covers! Honestly, it’s so hard not to look at the romantic/relationship aspect between the two leads bc they have this quiet understanding of one another that is imho more romantic than any back hugs in any dramas bc it’s more realistic and endearing. 

Also, imo there is no such thing as a platonic relationship between a man and a women. There’s either attraction or no attraction, that’s what I’ve learned a long time ago.

KWS will end this drama as he sees it and not because of the pressure. He is the golden boy of TVN and has free reigns in his production. People can count in one hand k-drama directors that have a cult following and KWS is one of them. MA will be done in a tasteful way just like Secret Affair  that's why I couldn't blame IU and LSG for signing up despite the backlash. If you are offered a lead to a KWS drama, you could never refused the opportunity. IU had to halt her music comeback because of this great opportunity. She made the right decision imo coz the character of Jian is just an incredible acting piece. She garnered respect within the k-drama communities which I think she is craving for especially after criticisms from Scarlet Heart.

All of us here have dated, currently in a relationship, single but looking, or even married - honestly do we run or wait for someone like the way DH and Jian does for each other if we only have platonic feelings? The behavior also has to make sense right and not just the words being said. They are clearly uncomfortable with each other and that does not scream being friendzoned. 

• Like 13

Love this fanart from My Mister DC so I want to share it here (As a fan of anime I always think My Ajusshi would make a really good anime with its tone and how the characters are styled :tongue:)

Spoiler

ySxcaRP.gif

xRN8FqE.gif

New Stills (Cr. tvN twitter)

Da4tQE7VwAA_Bs8.jpg

Da5Po80UwAAOJEi.jpg

Spoiler

Da5Po8_UQAAo-xy.jpg

Waiting for Wednesday is torturing......

• Like 10
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, maddymappo said:

Yes I agree completely. My suspicion though, based on the interview is that since the producer sees DH as himself and wants to refresh and dignify the more common view of an "ajeossi"   -  that this will end up with romance between the two. Ji An is young and pretty, and smart and tough, but also has such a heavy burden of responsibility, such a dark past and anguish, debts, and she is physically abused.  She becomes a perfect vehicle to justify the good, virtuous, older man who's wife cheats on him, to swoop down and raise her up. He can give her value, meaning, and the affection and protection she has never experienced.  This allows all those ajeossiis in the world to dream and fantasize about having a lover 20 years younger can be virtuous and work.

The producer also said something interesting. He said that in most drama the viewers identify with the heroine.  But in the drama we are supposed to identify with the DH.     

This is why I think the green light is on for a romance.   I also think it is so well written I will not make judgmental statements about that.  This drama is being crafted to avoid stereotypical knee jerk social responses.  They are being careful and the producer even complained that in some parts he feels they are being too conservative by toning down anything that could be interpreted as as being too overtly sensual.  So, what he is saying is that it is concealed,  but it is still there 

I agree. The drama is being shown to tell the story of unconventional relationship that defy expectations. I mean if DH and Jian remains platonic where is the unconventional there? They might as well call MA a family drama. I know there are men that are thrash and preys on younger women. But @sadiesmith is right that we also don't need to make general judgements on decent ajusshis that have respectable lives. Ajummahs are also fantasizing about younger men in their 20's in fact some of it are being shown in public broadcast. So should we also call these women perverted? Same arguments are applicable on both sexes. 

In the case of MA, the situation is completely reversed. DH is the one with the good intentions. He is the one getting played here. It is Jian's intentions that are not pure even from the beginning which I disliked immensely. She is using him to get money off JYD. But as a viewer I am forgiving because of her past that explains this behavior. However, there many people out there who also have a rough life but does not resort to this type of shady behavior. 

Speaking of fantasy. As adults, what is really the general fantasy of both men and women aside from acquiring material things and career?  Isn't it to find that one person that we can connect with that perfectly compliments us? We are yearning for that connection everyday. Heck even the Alien and Goblin are wishing for that person too. It does not really matter what age as long as both are consenting adults. The lesson of MA is adults need to stop living according to other people's standards and societal expectations. At some point, we need to live life according to our own terms that's the only chance we can find inner peace and happiness in adulthood.

• Like 14

So much has happened over the past two episodes, with milestones and turning points in almost every character's life.

After years of monotony and insignificance, PDH is now propelled into the role of rising star in the corporation, his reluctance the confirmation his backers need that he is the right man for them. His reasoning about taking a place that his own superior was framed and booted out of, must have resonated with Dir. Park, and his insistence that PDH strikes before DJY has the chance to retaliate and destroys him totally is his indirect way of giving him his blessing, asking that he delivers justice for both of them. I am definitely cheering for PDH in what could possibly be a breakthrough in his career and financial situation, but I hope that he would be able to hold his own among the sharks, while staying true to his own moral compass. We shall see.

I was unexpectedly affected by the breaking up of the affair, which I can only attribute to all-round excellent performances under KWS' skillful direction, backed by a painfully realistic script and spot-on characterisations. Lee Ji Ah's performance in particular, is truly memorable - her delicately nuanced delivery of a woman who is barely holding it together from the moment she hears the recording, to her confrontation with her lover, and drowning in shattering pain from his betrayal and her own humiliation of having loved someone like him. I find so much realism in the depiction of the birthday party as well, and it is there that I can literally feel her loneliness and isolation in a family who unconsciously keeps her on the outside, because they defer to her achievements as a successful career woman. She brought a depth to what could have been a one-dimensional character, evoking empathy for her character, even if one did not approve of her infidelity.

And in the midst of it, we see PDH seeing her pain, agonised by her grief over another man, yet choosing to continue to support and care for her through it. His shattered gasp as he doubles over in the street after pretending everything is fine, broke my heart, just as his ragged "Fighting" to rally himself once more, and I root desperately for him that one day, he will find true happiness and meaning in his life, after all the storms had died down and the dust settled on the rubble around him. 

LJA smiled the most in these two episodes since we first saw her, which I hope she will have even more reasons to do in the final half of the drama. Much attention is given to the time she smiled at PDH, which LGI was witness to. However, for me, the smile that moved me to tears, is when her grandmother signed her gratitude for the delicious food that PDH bought. In that moment, LJA's broken smile had me aching so much for them - for grandma who found so much to be grateful for in something so small, and for her, to finally have a reason to smile because her grandmother was happy, even if just momentarily. Tears.

On a brighter note, can I just fist-pump at how awesome our girl is, fearless and resourceful as she confronts the bane of her existence right on his turf, and forces him to relinquish the wallet he had stolen. It is just a temporary victory for sure, but any victory, no matter how small, is worth celebrating, and the fact that she went that far to protect PDH, is yet another glaring testament to just how much she has come to care for him. For him, she would say what is probably her first encouraging word to anyone in years. Funny how a single word "Fighting" can speak volumes, especially coming from her, and is evidence of yet another milestone in her life as she begins to live in hope

Certainly none of them are out of the woods yet, with enemies regrouping for yet another embittered battle to destroy them. However, the PDH and LJA of today, are not quite the same people they were before, and I am eager to see how they would face the upcoming challenges, and extricate themselves from the schemes that are being hatched against them.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, liddi said:

LJA smiled the most in these two episodes since we first saw her, which I hope she will have reason to do in the final half of the drama. Much attention is given to the time she smiled at PDH, which LGI was witness to. However, for me, the smile that moved me to tears, is when her grandmother signed her gratitude for the delicious food that PDH bought. In that moment, LJA's broken smile had me aching so much for them - for grandma who found so much to be grateful for in something so small, and for her, to finally have a reason to smile because her grandmother was happy, even if just momentarily. Tears.

Wow I didn’t even realize the grandma scene until you point it out. So true, I am more touched than I was before now knowing this.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Pretty Noona has been the most discussed drama two weeks in a row now, but My Mister is still sitting comfortably in number 2 spot four weeks into airing. 

In the actor category, the two leads from Pretty Noona are occupying top two spots, followed by IU at number 3 (same as last week), and ... (drumroll please)... Lee Sun Kyun at number 4, with a jump of 6 spots!!  Yay!  But most comical is PD Kim Won Seuk making the chart at number 10.  Hahaha... I guess the press conference was effective after all.

http://sports.chosun.com/news/news.htm?id=201804170100144290010661&ServiceDate=20180416

With Pretty Noona, the fangirls are all over that show and their skinships are making headlines. The top second couple in kdramaland Lee Jieun and LSG is quite impressive - talking about a weird pairing:lol:. No skinship except for heart fluttering glances, running scene, and oh that smile. I guess Koreans like their romance after all. My boy KWS made the list - the guy has his own fanbase.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

On 4/15/2018 at 9:36 AM, noor1 said:

Yes, they keep pointing out 'reincarnation / rebirth' in conversations about their bad circumstances in the present ('what have I done to deserve this life?'). I think it means that in the end, when DH 'forgives' or does not have hate for JY, and Ji-An does not hate Kwang-il or his father, they can live in the present and have one life and guarantee that they are not born again. Something like that. Let go off hate and live an unburdened life and live once. How they do that? I have no idea! How does one forgive or 'un-hate' guys like JY and Kwang-il?

This PD is well known on putting what appears to be insignificant lines but later he will back track and will tie a string to fit his narrative in later episodes. So that's why with KWS dramas it is important to focus on those little things. Everyone in this drama needs some form of redemption but yeah forgiveness for Gwang Il but I could understand his situation either way.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, tsukiazura said:

YES! I relate so much to Gwangil at that time, he couldn't really explain what's going on between Jian and Donghoon, but there is something between them. Jian already said she likes Donghoon, and even DJY stated that Donghoon only eats and have drinks with someone he likes. What DJY said actually reminds me of something my cousin said about guys. He said guys wouldn't bother doing things like buying food for girls they don't like. :lol: This is of course not meant as a generalization for all guys out there, each person has different perspective on how to show their feelings, but it's just funny to think of it. 

What's even funnier is that those perspectives are coming from both villain guys in this drama:lol: - men can talk about things they know about other men

• Like 4

15 hours ago, sanika said:

I don't want to discourage you, but I have been burnt twice by this PD - First during Miseang and later during Signal. He has the talent to always have the premise of having a love line, but NOTHING ever materializes. So until the very end, I am just not going to get my hopes up. 

I agree with Misaeng but Signal had the best love stories in my opinion. The theme of a tragic first love (Lee Jihan) and waiting for love to return despite the odds the person might be dead (Cha Soo Hyun). Just that the love angles were not the focus of the story.

• Like 9