[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

10 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

I have two questions for our MA detectives:

1. In this Ep 14 scene, starting at ~ 0:22, what's the song playing in the background? Please post the lyrics here if you figure it out. I can't help but think this has some significance after all the mindblowing commentary on Dong Hoon & Yoon Hee's soundtrack, Joon Young & Yoon Hee's soundtrack and Dong Hoon's Yearning to be Free.

2. At Halmeoni's funeral, why does Choon Dae (the custodian guardian) hesitate to hug / comfort Ji An (at the 0:32 mark)? I still can't figure it out after multiple rewatches.

---

For future reference / rewatches, here are the episode-by-episode playlists of all the official tvN clips for MA, courtesy of uri @miracle525 

hallo! I'm a lurker for quite awhile...

with my incredible hearings I've figured what the song was....it's Janis Ian - at seventeen

the song lyric fits really well for this series' theme, specially for DH, JH & JA (love) life. reading the song lyric, it make me think and have more understanding of why DH married YH and why his life was so pitiful at this point.

I'm still mad at people comments at dramabeans, blamming DH's Mom for YH unhappiness and feeling outcasted from the Hoogye neighbourhood (watching this series from my east asian's social norms POV, YH annoyed me so much)

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks! :)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

46 minutes ago, jujurose said:

hallo! I'm a lurker for quite awhile...

with my incredible hearings I've figured what the song was....it's Janis Ian - at seventeen

the song lyric fits really well for this series' theme, specially for DH, JH & JA (love) life. reading the song lyric, it make me think and have more understanding of why DH married YH and why his life was so pitiful at this point.

I'm still mad at people comments at dramabeans, blamming DH's Mom for YH unhappiness and feeling outcasted from the Hoogye neighbourhood (watching this series from my east asian's social norms POV, YH annoyed me so much)

Welcome!! And thank you! This is such a beautiful song.

I actually thought the lyrics seemed more fitting for Ji An, who’s felt unwanted most of her life:

At Seventeen

I learned the truth at seventeen
That love was meant for beauty queens
And high school girls with clear skinned smiles
Who married young and then retired

The valentines I never knew
The Friday night charades of youth
Were spent on one more beautiful
At seventeen I learned the truth

And those of us with ravaged faces
Lacking in the social graces
Desperately remained at home
Inventing lovers on the phone

Who called to say "come dance with me"
And murmured vague obscenities
It isn't all it seems at seventeen
A brown eyed girl in hand me downs

Whose name I never could pronounce
Said: "pity please the ones who serve
They only get what they deserve"
The rich relationed hometown queen

Marries into what she needs
With a guarantee of company
And haven for the elderly 
So remember those who win the game

Lose the love they sought to gain
In debitures of quality and dubious integrity
Their small-town eyes will gape at you
In dull surprise when payment due

Exceeds accounts received at seventeen
To those of us who knew the pain
Of valentines that never came

And those whose names were never called
When choosing sides for basketball
It was long ago and far away
The world was younger than today
When dreams were all they gave for free

To ugly duckling girls like me...
We all play the game, and when we dare
We cheat ourselves at solitaire
Inventing lovers on the phone
Repenting other lives unknown
That call and say: "come on, dance with me"
And murmur vague obscenities
At ugly girls like me, at seventeen

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just in case the tweet gets deleted etc.  Plus the naver link

"Best TV dramas of the first half of the year: Online survey company PMI asked 5,000 men and women in their 20s and 50s

1. Prison Playbook (23.7%)
2. Something in the Rain (21.7%)
3. Why Secretary Kim (20.7%)
4. Golden Life (18.5%)
5. My Mister (17.3%)

"

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, mylovelystar said:
Just in case the tweets gets deleted etc.  Plus the naver link

You’re kidding! Golden life was sh—(expletive which will not be uttered). It started out well then descended into makjang melo. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

@justamom

Allkpop has a writeup on the same survey but only listed the top 3 dramas TT

Excerpt:

"Online research platform PMI carried out a survey in partnership with survey website Tillion, in order to see which actor, actress, idol group, and drama received the most love from netizens in the first half of 2018!

Approximately 5,000 males and females from their 20s through their 50s participated in the survey."

https://www.allkpop.com/article/2018/07/netizens-vote-for-their-favorite-actor-actress-idol-group-drama-for-the-first-half-of-2018

Off topic: since you are a fan of Jang Ki Yong, here's casting news just in case you missed it:

https://www.soompi.com/2018/07/25/jang-ki-yong-kang-ye-won-ma-dong-seok-star-bad-guys-movie/

Just in case the tweet gets deleted etc.  Plus the naver link as original source:

"Best actresses of the first half of the year: Online survey with 5,000 men and women from 20s to 50s

1. Son Ye Jin

2. Jung Yumi

3. Kim Namjoo

4. Lee Jieun (IU)

https://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=117&aid=0003083455

"

• Like 8

The above translation is from the same survey posted previously:

Oh Na Ra mention at https://www.soompi.com/2018/07/26/8-celebrity-couples-stood-test-time-without-getting-married/

"Celebrity Couples Who Have Stood The Test Of Time (Without Getting Married)

Oh Na Ra and Kim Do Hoon

oh-na-ra-kim-do-hoon.jpg

This couple has been dating for 18 years! They met through the musical “Empress Myeongseong” in 2000 and have been in a loving relationship in the almost-two-decades since. When asked why they haven’t gotten married, Oh Na Ra said, “We were too busy. While we were working, 18 years flashed by. Our relationship is good even now but other people think that we’re weird.”

• Like 10

I can't believe I watched WWWSK. Down to last episode, yo! Also enjoying Stranger aka Secret Forest. 

Not super related to the show, but, has anyone visited My Mister filming sites? I'm heading to Seoul in Sep, just wondering how easy it is to make your way to the locations. 

20 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

I have two questions for our MA detectives:

1. In this Ep 14 scene, starting at ~ 0:22, what's the song playing in the background? Please post the lyrics here if you figure it out. I can't help but think this has some significance after all the mindblowing commentary on Dong Hoon & Yoon Hee's soundtrack, Joon Young & Yoon Hee's soundtrack and Dong Hoon's Yearning to be Free.

I've noted before that there were 2 different songs played for different platforms. On tvN channel itself, this was a Korean song with a male singer; online & in this tvN clip you shared, it's an English song with a female singer. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ccl82 said:

Not super related to the show, but, has anyone visited My Mister filming sites? I'm heading to Seoul in Sep, just wondering how easy it is to make your way to the locations. 

@ccl82, what a timely question.  I just came across this awesome blog a few days ago:

https://koreandramaland.com/jobs/?search_keywords=my+mister&submit=

https://koreandramaland.com/my-mister-2018-all-filming-locations-overview/

Hopefully we'll include something like this on the fan site some day.  But you asked about how easy it is to get there, and I have no idea. The owners of that blog are super nice though, so you may want post your question there.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2018 at 7:58 PM, h2ogirl said:

This post is my kryptonite.

tumblr_inline_ov7al6_N96l1stzu3e_540.gif

Another of my favourites is this scene in ep 9.

image.png

image.png

The fact that Dong Hoon purposely didn't go home cause he was hoping to run into Ji An still gets me. The few moments where he's just watching her before she notices him. She's the one being observed now instead of him (even if just for a moment). The look on their faces when they finally see each other, the background music, the fact that the traffic light has to turn green before he can join her.

Why is this show so good?!!

• Like 14

57 minutes ago, arctichare said:

Another of my favourites is this scene in ep 9.

The fact that Dong Hoon purposely didn't go home cause he was hoping to run into Ji An still gets me. The few moments where he's just watching her before she notices him. She's the one being observed now instead of him (even if just for a moment). The look on their faces when they finally see each other, the background music, the fact that the traffic light has to turn green before he can join her.

Why is this show so good?!!

Same here!!! I was meaning to post a few screenshots of this one a long while ago. I remember a few people posting about chinese numbers and their meaning. In this scene, number 4 was highlighted a lot. It was the first thing they show when DH was coming out of the station. The analysation was that number 4 signifies death and for DH, this means like the death of his old, passive self? I dont know if anyone else noticed, but when DH was about to cross the road to get to JA, there was a poster with a number 4 in it. 

When they met eyes, it was then that the lights turned green indicating “You may now cross” or something to that effect. 

Whether intentional or not by the director/writer, this remains to be one of my favourite scenes. DH also had that look  on his face. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 10

49 minutes ago, arctichare said:

LOL. Bruhhh, you're welcome.

I finished another rewatch session today with my cousin today. When I showed her DH's un-platonic imprints on JA's hand afterward, she said it reminded her of the way Indian PM Modi shakes people's hands.

giphy.gif

No worries, though. She's a 100% shipper hahaha.

@arctichare @ann04 That scene we love, GIF-ified. And yup! Traffic lights changing from red to green! Signaling they can be together. Ahhh.

I think the look in his eyes is more curiosity than longing here. The longing gets intense just before the confession and afterwards.

9807Wqq.gif

319BV7w.gif

I absolutely love their visuals in the walk after this scene. *heart eyes*

Spoiler

CUxyi7O.png

NWKcbCG.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ann04 said:

Same here!!! I was meaning to post a few screenshots of this one a long while ago. I remember a few people posting about chinese numbers and their meaning. In this scene, number 4 was highlighted a lot. It was the first thing they show when DH was coming out of the station. The analysation was that number 4 signifies death and for DH, this means like the death of his old, passive self? I dont know if anyone else noticed, but when DH was about to cross the road to get to JA, there was a poster with a number 4 in it. 

One day someone will have to write a post analyzing all the different numbers we see in the show and their meanings.  

@kdramaqueennn:

On 7/13/2018 at 6:52 AM, kdramaqueennn said:

I was just realized that Ji An’s house was number 1, I saw it several times on that blue rustic door, so I asked myself why did the director chosen that house, while they were actually filming not inside that house, but they shot the scenes at a knock down room, maybe in some kind of studio, I saw it in one of instagram

pictures shared by the production staff a month ago. So, could it be the director wants to give a hint that Ji An is actually Dong Hoon’s first love after all ? And Dong Hoon is also Ji An’s first love, because all of this time, it was Dong Hoon that crazily searched for her to her house, and opened that number one door. 

So this instagram post confirms that the house numbers 1 and 2 as well as the safe sign on the wall were planted by the director himself.  Yoon Hee once asked who is number one in DH's heart, and I think we can safely say the answer is right there on the door.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

My Mister mention 180726. This tweet with the video clip got lots of RT

She is 

actress Oh Yun Soo 오연수. She posted about [My Mister] on her Instagram.

instagram.com/p/Bi6PAfJDR6P/

https://twitter.com/tmtchr69/status/1022534065520406528

Short translation:

She actually said "It's not like I want to act some particular role in that drama, but I really enjoyed this drama so much and even listening to its dialogue one by one, it's My Mister. I really enjoyed it so much"

https://twitter.com/melloviciousiu/status/1022529231618633729

Heechul asked "Perhaps do you want to act as IU's role?" She said "No, ofc not. I don't have that greed. It's definitely not like that. The drama itself is so well written, every dialogue is so well written. While watching that drama, it makes me want to start to work/act again"

https://twitter.com/melloviciousiu/status/1022529302368112640

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

^2 hrs since the above post. J. K of Soompi has finally written about the poll.  Thankfully more detailed than allkpop.

"

Koreans Vote On The Best Idols, Actors, And Dramas Of 1st Half Of 2018

Online statistics company PMI held a poll to find out which idols, actors, and dramas Koreans been loving so far this year!

The survey asked 5,000 men and women from the ages of 20 to 59 about the best idols, actors, and dramas in the first half of 2018, and a report on July 26 showed the top results in each category. The lists below represent the only information available from PMI.

Excerpt

Female Actors

1. Son Ye Jin (25.6 percent of votes)

2. Jung Yu Mi (percentage not stated)

3. Kim Nam Joo (percentage not stated)

4. IU (percentage not stated)

Dramas

1. tvN’s “Prison Playbook” (23.7 percent of votes)

2. JTBC’s “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food” (21.7 percent)

3. tvN’s “What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim” (20.7 percent)

4. KBS2’s “My Golden Life” (18.5 percent)

5. tvN’s “My Ahjussi” (17.3 percent)

"

For the complete list, visit https://www.soompi.com/2018/07/26/koreans-vote-best-idols-actors-dramas-first-half-2018/

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

@ccl82, what a timely question.  I just came across this awesome blog a few days ago:

Hopefully we'll include something like this on the fan site some day.  But you asked about how easy it is to get there, and I have no idea. The owners of that blog are super nice though, so you may want post your question there.

Thank you. Exactly what I'm looking for! :heart:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mylovelystar said:

1. Son Ye Jin (25.6 percent of votes)

2. JTBC’s “Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food” (21.7 percent)

2. Jung Hae In (20.3 percent)

For the complete list, visit https://www.soompi.com/2018/07/26/koreans-vote-best-idols-actors-dramas-first-half-2018/

It seems Pretty Noona can do no wrong.  And Lee Seon Kyun, forever underrated. :tears:

Koala's Playground post:

http://koalasplayground.com/2018/07/26/park-seo-joon-and-son-ye-jin-voted-best-drama-stars-in-first-half-of-2018/

Koala's readers love My Ajusshi a lot.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Thank you. Exactly what I'm looking for! :heart:

• Like 1

The comments on that site felt like I was an extension of this forum. So much of love shown to MA

http://koalasplayground.com/2018/05/19/tvn-drama-my-ahjusshi-ends-with-high-ratings-and-acclaim-from-critics-and-audiences-alike/

between i I don’t know if it’s appropriate to share this here but I stumbled upon below Instagram which is basically MA goldmine. I don’t know who the owner is and I am bi weirded out by the name so let me know if this should not be posted

http://instagram.com/deepsycho77

I was wondering what is about MA that has drawn me to it . I don’t like slow dramas , neither am I fan of melodramas or crying. I can’t even bring myself to watch Mother which so many of you have praised. I used to enjoy cheesy as F dramas like BOF.

Then I realised at the risk of sounding shallow the major reason is PDH. I loved his walk, his words, every sound he made, every breathe he took :) 

then of course there was the sizzling chemistry between lead. Even though in some places the drama felt slow but it added so much of depth. There was never a dull moment even when the leads were on long walk uttering nothing. I do have a tiny complaint , I dint enjoy the brothers scenes in the beginning. I found myself skipping them.

Even though it talked about life, sorrows and all those life talks in general or never felt preachy. 

I will never be able to let go this drama. EVER!!!!!! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1