[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

4 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

By the way, it seems like persimmon has some meaning in Korean?

In EP1, JA has no more money, so she put back the persimmon.

DH sees it and wants to help her, so buy the persimmon and want to take it to her.

But he didn't find her.

In EP4, DH brings the persimmon basket and tells the villa owner to take the basket to apologize to his brother. JA hears the process, and her heart starts close to DH at this scene.

In EP5, DH and JA  finally have a friendly start. 
They can have such a nice opportunity is because DH wants to take persimmon to her, and he chases her.

I guess persimmon has some meaning in Korea, and that's why the writer uses persimmon to connect DH and JA.

Good point! And I love that it's another "3"! Wow.

This comment on the GMS site (https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/11/17/my-mister-locations-1-ji-ans-house/) from commenter svhblogger said:

"Something I noticed: If I’m remembering properly, Ji An leaves red persimmons in the store twice due to outside circumstances to rush home, (the second time leading to a connection between Ji An and PDH). A google search said that red persimmons often symbolize transformation in Korean media. PDH’s determination to bring the persimmons to Ji An is perhaps another way of representing his need to help her reach the potential she’s been having to set aside to survive."

4 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

KH also has one connection point with DH.

KH always cleans YR's vomit, but he still loves her in the end.

I think this can connect with DH's dialogue:

"Once you know someone...once you really get to know someone,

there comes a point where you don't care what they do. And I know you."

Great insight! Does he have to clean it up three times, too? Once before he knows her, once when he meets her, and once when he visits her on purpose? Or am I mis-remembering when the first time was?

20 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

9th re-watch and found a new evidence for Omma's amazing ability of insights and prophecy.

She is so funny. I love her. Reminds me of so many Asian moms I've met (and my own). :lol:

21 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

2. EP16. 

When EP16 SW sat at JH's bar, SW&JH sat on either side of the table. They kept distance.

SW was very calm. And JH accepted the reality. 

That's how a pair of former lovers finally let go.

So how did JA&DH  looked like at the last reunion scene?

They were  both emotional.

They were excited, nervous, curious, with expectation and anxiety, unwilling to part again.
They finally made a breakthrough to approach each other and make a promise.
In contrast, the reunion of these two couples is completely different, proving that Ji-An and Dong-Hoon never let go of each other.

YES!!! Great contrast!!! SW and JH had no future, and they both accepted it somberly.

JA and DH were so happy to see each other and were unwilling to let go. Great point!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YukawaCattle said:

Can I still hold this "three"?
What do you guys think about this?

It makes sense if I hold this "three"?

I think persimmons can be a "motif" of the show without being one of 3. After all, couples in the restaurant/bar show up in 6 episodes, but many more times than 3 times :) . So persimmons can be like that....a motif or theme. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, YukawaCattle said:

All right. Then I just let it go. :bawling:

Goodbye, persimmons

:joy:

16 minutes ago, YukawaCattle said:

Does it seem like if something is a "motif," then it might be a symbol?
And in this situation, such a thing may not only show up three times.

Typically motifs would be symbols or other "recurring" items or themes in a show.

For example:

the couples in the bar

persimmons

fire and candles

reflections in the glass as @Thomas Zhangdetailed previously

....basically, anything we would see more than once that seems to mean something. It could show up only 3 times, but it could show up more often, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:
1 hour ago, YukawaCattle said:

Does it seem like if something is a "motif," then it might be a symbol?
And in this situation, such a thing may not only show up three times.

Typically motifs would be symbols or other "recurring" items or themes in a show.

For example:

the couples in the bar

persimmons

fire and candles

reflections in the glass as @Thomas Zhangdetailed previously

....basically, anything we would see more than once that seems to mean something. It could show up only 3 times, but it could show up more often, too.

Maybe the "3" is related to the three act structure. 

So it could be used for the narrative. And specific symbol could appear more than three times.

In fact, there are "two doors" between three act structure. The "two doors" theory is also from scriptwriting.

When our hero or heroine went through the first door, their fate would be irreversible intertwined. 

So in the MM, the event of "bribery" would be the first door.  

But their relationship would be unstable until they get through the second door. 

Between the "two doors",  many events pushed them forward, some pushed them backward.

And in my opinion, when PDH knew the wiretapping and finally found JA, they went through the "second door" together.

JA did not need to worry about DH knew any darkness about her.

DH had knew almost everything JA done for him and how she loved him. 

Their relationship would no longer be backwards.

Never up.

Then the plot simply moves the remaining obstacles between the hero and heroine.

That's why the plot progressed so quickly after the two were separated in the last episode. Because that's not even the point.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

In fact, there are "two doors" between three act structure. The "two doors" theory is also from scriptwriting.

And in my opinion, when PDH knew the wiretapping and finally found JA, they went through the "second door" together.

I had to read up about the two-door framework. :D So thanks for bringing that up!

Yes, very insightful and I agree! The 2nd door of no-return is the discovery of the wiretapping.

13 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

Then the plot simply moves the remaining obstacles between the hero and heroine.

That's why the plot progressed so quickly after the two were separated in the last episode. Because that's not even the point.

Yes! That has been on my mind but you put it so neatly! 

I interpret it that way as well – that episodes 15 and 16 were all about removing obstacles between DH and JA – initially  JA’s legal issues and then DH and YH agreeing to reveal YH’s affair. Even halmeoni’s passing was a catalyst for JA’s “rebirth,” and the funeral scenes were utilized as an encore to showcase the development of the various characters and their relationships and to reiterate the key messages of the show.

The last half of episode 16 used a typical romance drama trope I've seen a number of times – having the OTP separate, then employ a time skip, then have them meet again to move forward with their relationship. But that’s not to belittle the show. Given the subtle and understated nature of the show, it had to use that format to communicate the message that were not made explicit by the actors, and that for me is part of the genius of the show.

I’ve written in an earlier post about how K Drama Couple (a youtuber) cited the story arc template used by MM is that of a typical romance drama, and then I compared it to a couple of such dramas.

Story arc template used by MM

That way, what’s left unsaid is implied, and the show brilliantly used other means to communicate that message, one of which is the story arc structure utilized.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

After DH brings JA to the police station, he walks back to Hugye.

It means the location of Hugye and the police station he brings JA to is very close.

Or maybe it is exactly located in Hugye.

So I think why police officer always shows up is because KWS director and the writer want to tell us those police officers are one of the Hugye people's life, so they know each other.

And according to the police officer's dialogue, it seems to be true.

Actually YH drove JA back to JH's bar from the police station.  And according to the unofficial subtitle shown, JA was interrogated in the central police station(中央警署), should be different from the local community police station(社区派出所).

Edited by Thomas Zhang
  • Like 5

Today when I made some notes of plots,I found something interesting but strange.

Almost everyone who knew JA likes DH in the drama never criticized their relationship for the age-gap.

SH&KH&JH did not do that.

Board of Saman did not do that.

JY & YH did not do that.

DH’s subordinates didn’t do that.

Even GI didn’t do that.

The only one who once worried about age-gap was DH himself. It was he who was continually saying “child” or “girl” until EP5.

But he never refused JA for age-gap , even in the scene of confession in EP10. 

And JA knew he actually worried about the gossip of office affair so she said to him on subway that she would never show her love in the office.

At this final subway scene, what DH said is that she liked him for pity. He still did not mention the age thing.

This response was still not a refuse but his lack of confidence for accepting a young pretty woman’s love.

And Writer and Director also carefully dealt with the age-gap thing.

They did not let anyone, who may let audience notice the age-gap controversy, met JA.

Such as AR, Omma, and  DH’s niece.

For example,DH’s niece may older than JA. Let her appear too much would emphasize the age-gap between JA and DH.It even creates the feeling of incest. So she just appeared once in EP1, far away from the love development plot.

And also DH‘s son was also young enough to avoid these thing.

So the age-gap was never an obstacle for the couple. 

Their obstacles were DH’s marriage and Relationship between superiors and subordinates.

I heard that the production team was under pressure and fierce criticize for age-gap romance in 2018.

I just do not understand why would those non-shippers  concern it so much.

Edited by Thomas Zhang
  • Like 5

I'm presently surprise to see this topic is still active.

Anyway for those who have not watch this clip by IU, be sure to check it out.

Song intro from IU.

Next Stop

I started writing this song when I was 25, so by the time I was done, I was 26. There are some songs whereby the lyrics and melody come to my mind together, like a piece of music born with the two as one. It had been awhile since I had a song like that and this was one of them.

It can’t be helped that (I am) biased towards such songs.

There wasn’t any format or particular chord work that I worked hard on, but the moment I wrote the first verse as easily as breathing, I was so in love with this song.

But even then, I forgot about it. Heh.

It was a year later when I encountered my character ‘Jian’ in ‘My Mister’ that I naturally took on that character and was able to finish the second verse. While there was no plan cast in stone, it was a song that I definitely wanted to release one day. Beyond being a storyteller, but as a top liner [T/L note: person who composes the main melody of a song], I think this song contains my most central emotions as a creator.

This is the only song that we mixed in the vocals from the guide version. It contains both my voice from 3 years ago, as well as my current voice. I sang it calmly back then, but now I sing it in a way that appeals (to emotions). Ironically, it might be because it’s all in the past now.

Between Jieun and Jian is a ‘station’.

The two are connected by the distance of a station.

[T/L note: literal translation of the Korean song title is ‘The Station’.]

Lyrics

정거장 (Next Stop)

Lyrics by IU
Composed by IU
Arranged by IU
Whistle by IU
Chorus by IU

Will I get to meet them at the next station?
The faces I have missed
Will I get to meet them at the next green light?
The sceneries I have yearned for

The sun sets at a fixed timing
and the streets become empty
Yet only one person remains at the same spot as yesterday
unable to leave

Pitter-patter, the rain pours nonchalantly in straight lines
and a heavy sigh follows at the same angle

The people I have yearned for
The faces I have missed

The red glow of the setting sun spreads gradually over my head
and the dancing shadows become longer as it turns to dusk

The winds I have missed
The memories I have yearned for

Or will I get to reach it in the next world?
This place that I have never left

[T/L Notes: There is a change in the lyrics compared to the version IU sang during her 2018 dlwlrma and 2019 Love, poem concerts. For the last verse, instead of “will I get to meet it in the next world”, the version in the 'Pieces’ album is “will I get to reach it in the next world”. ]

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, Joseph Lim said:

I'm presently surprise to see this topic is still active.

Yes, it's come alive again! :D

2 hours ago, Joseph Lim said:

Anyway for those who have not watch this clip by IU, be sure to check it out.

Thanks for posting this! So nice to see some of what IU was thinking as she played Ji An, and how that made it into her songs and creative process.

It's still so funny to me how different IU is from Ji An, her voice and demeanor.

11 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

And Writer and Director also carefully dealt with the age-gap thing.

They did not let anyone, who may let audience notice the age-gap controversy, met JA.

Such as AR, Omma, and  DH’s niece.

For example,DH’s niece may older than JA. Let her appear too much would emphasize the age-gap between JA and DH.It even creates the feeling of incest. So she just appeared once in EP1, far away from the love development plot.

And also DH‘s son was also young enough to avoid these thing.

So interesting, right? The age-gap issue really was never brought up by anyone around DH.

6 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

After a "three," it seems that some big results always show us.

I think you're on to something again, @YukawaCattle!

Thanks for confirming that KH had to clean up YR's vomit three times. :joy:

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

Quick Poll: Participating in the Winter Olympics (Beijing - 2022)

•  

Dear Chingus, we are back with an exciting Quick Poll!:wow1:

Many of our favourite dramas will be on a hiatus. While we wait for our dramas to air, let us experience the thrill of Winter Olympics. Do participate in the poll and let us know about your favourite events that never fail to give you the adrenalin rush. :highonflowers:

re: @partyon @Sleepy Owl @agenth @confusedheart

On 1/31/2022 at 7:01 AM, Thomas Zhang said:

So the age-gap was never an obstacle for the couple. 

Their obstacles were DH’s marriage and Relationship between superiors and subordinates.

I agree, the age gap was never brought up as an issue in the show. So the only hurdles between DH and JA have always been DH being married and JA being his subordinate at work.

Both were resolved post time skip, and I have mentioned before that if the show would remove hurdles to a possible outcome, that outcome would have been implied even if it was not explicitly shown. Otherwise, those perceived hurdles would have turned into red herrings for me. 

On 1/31/2022 at 12:02 PM, YukawaCattle said:

After a "three," it seems that some big results always show us.

I have a couple more 3s for you:

The number of times DH and JA had dinner in still “unfriendly” terms, that is, JA was still scheming for something. In ep 1 she was planning to steal the bribe money. In ep 2 and 3, she was planning to setup DH for a scandal. There was a 4th at the tail end of ep 3, but it was cut abruptly when DH walked out before any drinks or food was ordered.

Afterwards, all their dinner and drinks occasions were now on friendly terms. 

Then also the number of times grandma was piggybacked -- the first one by Ki Bum in ep 1, and then twice by DH.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 3

22 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

So in my opinion, according to this list, EP16 is actually the EP1 of DH and JA's new start. :blush:

And yes, they definitely will have a new start. :blush:

Wow very nice juxtaposition of events in ep 1 and in ep 16! Very insightful!! :thumbsup:

And I just realized what their pose is intended to look like in this picture.. :lol:

D0SePi7.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1