[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

6 minutes ago, Thomas Zhang said:

I also have an idea about "Busan".

Maybe it symbolizes  "punishment" or "jail“ in the drama.

JA had committed a crime with no doubt.  She didn't go to jail due to the contribution of YH.

But she must receive some kind of punishment. 

So the writer sent her to Busan the "jail" with the agony of separation from her beloved Ahjussi.

And it is something like the "trial" I mentioned.

Ohh very good insight! Busan can indeed be a metaphor for punishment! And it applied to both PDU and JA! 

@Thomas Zhang and @YukawaCattle  you keep on giving us fresh insights! So good!!

Your post on the other characters’ interaction with JA got me thinking about YR’s brief dialogues with JA.. And now I noticed the significance of this line she said to JA:

i0nMwDC.png

If she’s not aware how pretty she is, then that would have made DH calling her pretty all the more significant for her. And since we know YR is JA’s spokesperson, then we are sure that was indeed JA’s mindset before hearing DH's pretty remark. And that somehow made me appreciate more the furious run to the restaurant she did in ep 7.

You guys noticed the brief epilogue after ep 1? I’m sure that is a metaphor for something.. It felt out-of-place as well since only ep 1 carried an epilogue. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, actionscript said:

If she’s not aware how pretty she is, then that would have made DH calling her pretty all the more significant for her. And since we know YR is JA’s spokesperson, then we are sure that was indeed JA’s mindset before hearing DH's pretty remark. And that somehow made me appreciate more the furious run to the restaurant she did in ep 7.

I used to asked a question in an article : Why does people always say DH & JA heal each other? 

What did they actually do? 

JA paid her debt with DJY's money.  It depends on her own experience of living. Without these unfair debt she can live better even her grandmother still be with her. 

And DH still can get a  promotion without JA. DJY can not find any fault of DH.  Actually their rumor was the only weakness of DH.

DH did not suicide not because of JA but he make it himself.

To be honest, they both have strong inner force to make it themselves.

After thinking a lot I answered this question myself. 

They mutually let each other has the ability to recognize themselves accurately. They like a pair of mirrors reflecting each other's true face : They are kind, brave, smart, pretty, intelligent.  They are both good people with high value.

The mirror's name is LOVE. That is why they could be the soulmates / air to breathe

At the beginning of drama, they both had low valuation to themselves.  

YH judged and humiliated DH. It is JA who let DH know he himself is a good man.

GI beat and humiliated JA. It is DH let JA know she won’t self-punish for the murder.

Because they met and fell in love each other, they eventually recognized  themselves are good people. They deserve better life.

That is the true healing for them.

Not money, not high position or any other things.

And I am eager to translate this article for you.

Edited by Thomas Zhang
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, YukawaCattle said:

I think what he means is, "Wow, JA, just as I always imagined, you are so beautiful after makeup."
And JA knows what he means, so she feels very shy:

My wife does not want to watch this drama for its beginning is so depressed.  She likes comedy.

So I just show her the last five minutes to her and ask her what the relationship between the two is.

She answers me that they two are not couples but gonna be together for sure. Because the girl is so shy in front of the man and the man is so ... charming.

What a amazing insight:surprisedwut:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

13 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

My wife does not want to watch this drama for its beginning is so depressed.  She likes comedy.

So I just show her the last five minutes to her and ask her what the relationship between the two is.

She answers me that they two are not couples but gonna be together for sure. Because the girl is so shy in front of the man and the man is so ... charming.

I actually have a theory why many people would tend to see the love line only at least after one complete watch.

Before the time skip, JA was 21, but in so many scenes, she looked like she was only a little kid, like 16 or 17-ish. Some prominent samples:

wakItEd.png

KeM8Mz5.png

rUfP8rF.png

However, post time skip, she’s 22, but can pass on for a more mature 25-ish, which was IU’s age at that time:

Spoiler

NCSWDCZ.png

So before having seen the time skip, the thought that this 17-ish looking kid might have something beyond platonic with DH is indeed cringe-worthy. But having finished the show and having witnessed the more mature-looking JA at the end, then the thought of them moving forward to something more romantic would have been more palatable then. So now once you re-watch, despite seeing JA looking 17-ish again, the fact that you are now aware the romance would not happen until she looks a more mature 25-ish at the end made the possibility of seeing the love line more acceptable. I’m not saying this is exactly the case for most viewers, but I won’t be surprised it played a huge factor in why many could only fathom the romance after at least one watch.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1

9 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

I also have an idea about "Busan".

Maybe it symbolizes  "punishment" or "jail“ in the drama.

JA had committed a crime with no doubt.  She didn't go to jail due to the contribution of YH.

But she must receive some kind of punishment. 

So the writer sent her to Busan the "jail" with the agony of separation from her beloved Ahjussi.

And it is something like the "trial" I mentioned.

Wow, great point! Yes, Busan does seem to be a kind of jail in the show, doesn't it. I think they used the word "demoted" or "exile" for PDW in the show...and it does turn out to be that way for him.

For Ji An, not only is Busan a place of separation from PDH, but I just had the thought that Busan is like a cocoon for her as well....letting her rest and re-form, before re-emerging as a beautiful mature woman.

9 hours ago, actionscript said:

You guys noticed the brief epilogue after ep 1? I’m sure that is a metaphor for something.. It felt out-of-place as well since only ep 1 carried an epilogue. 

I totally forgot about that! Just watched it again. Sang Hoon just seems sick of women, doesn't he? :lol:He wants a place that's just ahjussis and to eat ramen. And in Ep 12, didn't all the guys at the bar eat ramen before they went to play soccer? They didn't show them eating ramen...but someone mentioned cleaning it up, or paying for it or something. I need to go back and check.

2 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

Thanks for sharing your idea here and discussing this idea.
Actually, I am still thinking about "YR is JA's spokesperson" is true or not.
Because the idea of Chekhov's gun only tells us notice "the same elements."
I mean, if some character's dialogues or plot is similar to JA's, then we can directly use Chekhov's gun to analyze JA by this character.
But it doesn't mean that this character will always be her spokesperson.
So I still check this is true or not.

Agreed! I don't think YR is always a spokesperson for JA, just like Ki Hoon isn't always a mouthpiece for DH. YR and KH have their own issues to work through, after all. :D

7 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

They mutually let each other has the ability to recognize themselves accurately. They like a pair of mirrors reflecting each other's true face : They are kind, brave, smart, pretty, intelligent.  They are both good people with high value.

Great point! You can tell that the things they say to each other are so important and meaningful to the hearer.  Dong Hoon really needed to hear that he was a decent person, "good luck on your interview", and "it's not a big deal." Ji An needed to hear that she was "nice", that "your past doesn't matter, what you think is the most important," and "When you know someone, really know them, it doesn't matter what they do." Etc. They loved each other, and were able to speak truth to each other in a way the other person deeply needed to hear.

25 minutes ago, actionscript said:

So before having seen the time skip, the thought that this 17-ish looking kid might have something beyond platonic with DH is indeed cringe-worthy. But having finished the show and having witnessed the more mature-looking JA at the end, then the thought of them moving forward to something more romantic would have been more palatable then. So now once you re-watch, despite seeing JA looking 17-ish again, the fact that you are now aware the romance would not happen until she looks a more mature 25-ish at the end made the possibility of seeing the love line more acceptable.

Very true! When I watch the show now, I have in my mind the independent, mature Ji An of the ending scene! I know what she "becomes" and I can see roots/ elements of that in her during the rest of the show. Good insight!!

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, actionscript said:

So before having seen the time skip, the thought that this 17-ish looking kid might have something beyond platonic with DH is indeed cringe-worthy. But having finished the show and having witnessed the more mature-looking JA at the end, then the thought of them moving forward to something more romantic would have been more palatable then. So now once you re-watch, despite seeing JA looking 17-ish again, the fact that you are now aware the romance would not happen until she looks a more mature 25-ish at the end made the possibility of seeing the love line more acceptable. I’m not saying this is exactly the case for most viewers, but I won’t be surprised it played a huge factor in why many could only fathom the romance after at least one watch.

Wow I really never thought about this and it does make sense. I remember that in EP9 Director Kim wanted IU to cry like a child. Indeed JA looked like a teenager before the last scene.   And that is may be the reason the Director choose IU to act JA. I always think that IU is looked younger than her age. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

I had also thought about "Busan" before and had the same idea as yours.

"It seems like work in Busan is loser than work in Seoul?  Or why it seems like going to Busan is a bad thing?"

But I didn't continue to think about it because I didn't know about Korea.

57 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

Wow, great point! Yes, Busan does seem to be a kind of jail in the show, doesn't it.

We should have known earlier. There's a reason why the movie is called "Train to Busan" and not "Train to Seoul." :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

12 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

Ahjussis in JH's bar all know?

This question made me think.... interesting question. I think the ahjussis all do think it's a special relationship, since they had already all walked Ji An home with Dong Hoon. Then in Ep 14 at the DH's party, they all heard Jung Hee tell Je Cheol that the one Ji An "didn't hate" was DH.  And at the end of Ep 15, when the ahjussis enter Jung Hee's bar, they are all surprised by Ji An's presence. After Ki Hoon calls Dong Hoon to tell him that JA is there (which DH already knows, of course), Ki Hoon walks back to the table and tells the other ahjussis, "He already knows." 

So it's an interesting point that @Thomas Zhangbrought up...but based on this, yes! I think the ahjussis all know that Ji An likes Dong Hoon at least, and they might suspect DH has some tenderness toward her as well. To me, it's interesting that Ki Hoon told the rest of them at the table that Dong Hoon "already knew" Ji An was there. Why bother telling them, right? Something to think about more...hmm...

26 minutes ago, actionscript said:

There's a reason why the movie is called "Train to Busan" and not "Train to Seoul." 

Good thing she came back to Seoul unscathed! :D

@YukawaCattle and @Thomas Zhang: What is the mood like on the Chinese-speaking sites like douban? Is it split half/half between those who see a romantic connection between DH and JA and those who don't? Or are you in the minority??

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

12 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

What is the mood like on the Chinese-speaking sites like douban? Is it split half/half between those who see a romantic connection between DH and JA and those who don't? Or are you in the minority??

spacer.png

There was a vote on douban.

Here it is https://www.douban.com/group/topic/202388640/?_dtcc=1&_i=3040221vzGdfif

According to the result Shipper is in the majority.

(In Chinese online community we  "Shipper“  is called "CP"   from the word "couple")

But I think age is a key factor which influence the result. 

Many users from douban is around 30s or 40s  ( I am 40).  The older people get, the more they think it is a romance.

On the contrary,  more younger people like Bilibili. 

There was another vote on a video played in Bilibili. 

"Do you wish it is to be a Romance or a friendship?"

It is almost even. 

spacer.png

What puzzles me most is that many youths did not talk about what the relationship LOOKS LIKE.

They always talk about they WISH it or even ASK FOR it to be a "friendship".  Oh, I am so upset when I heard it.

12 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

So it's an interesting point that @Thomas Zhangbrought up...but based on this, yes! I think the ahjussis all know that Ji An likes Dong Hoon at least, and they might suspect DH has some tenderness toward her as well. To me, it's interesting that Ki Hoon told the rest of them at the table that Dong Hoon "already knew" Ji An was there. Why bother telling them, right? Something to think about more...hmm...

These Ajhussis were all well educated and used to be a manager or even senior position. So I think they are all seasoned enough to know what an office affair looks like. And they were also sophisticated enough to keep silent and just watch.

When your friends or siblings keep talking about a man/woman, or the man/woman keeps being with your friends or siblings, you would have a feeling that there is something to them.

For SH and KH, I think they were always like an “I knew how it would be" face and an "I told you, right?" face.

Edited by Thomas Zhang
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/22/2022 at 9:36 PM, YukawaCattle said:

I think your idea makes sense.

Because three in Korea seems to have meaning is "complete."

So after these three trials, they will together.
And I also notice that PDH facing three-time LJA's firm farewell.

I think you also mentioned that in the morgue, JA told halmeoni “Let’s meet again” 3 times (with DH in the same frame, standing in the background). And I think I have read somewhere else that was both a metaphor for the total of times DH and JA will meet, and a foreshadowing of their final separation and reunion.

(In Chinese online community we  "Shipper“  is called "CP"   from the word "couple")

Many users from douban is around 30s or 40s  ( I am 40).  The older people get, the more they think it is a romance.

It is almost even. 

My mandarin is very limited, but aren’t 大愛 and  甚愛 just different degrees of love and not necessarily romantic vs platonic?

Is Douban the equivalent of soompi, and bilibili is like youtube? If yes, interesting that I suppose both douban and soompi would have a majority seemingly for the shippers’ camp, while in bilibili, similar to ManvsDrama’s youtube channel, the results are almost even.

What puzzles me most is that many youths did not talk about what the relationship LOOKS LIKE.

They always talk about they WISH it or even ASK FOR it to be a "friendship".  Oh, I am so upset when I heard it.

I've notice the same pattern as well. 

I think it boils down to the following scenarios for all viewers:

Pre-time skip:

1. Both JA and DH's feelings are platonic

2. JA has romantic feelings, but DH's is platonic

3. JA has romantic feelings, while DH's is romantic but is restraining them

4. JA has romantic feelings, while DH's is romantic but restrained, yet they would label this as platonic nevertheless, as they identify platonic not with feelings but with the outcome

Post time skip:

1. DH is still married, so DH and JA will be besties forever.

2. The ending is open, given both are now in a better place, both free and healed, the show left open the possibility of romance.

3. DH and JA going for a romantic relationship is hinted upon.

4. DH and JA going for a romantic relationship is heavily implied.

I have a friend who was a 1 pre-time skip, but believed it was a 4 post time skip. I can live with that. ^_^ 

And the point is that while it can be platonic at one time, it doesn't mean it will remain that way forever. 

2 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

And that's why shippers are the minority in my hometown.
(And that's why I want to write a blog to preach, lol.)

Kudos to you for hoisting the shippers’ flag in your hometown! :hwaiting:

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

1 hour ago, actionscript said:

Is Douban the equivalent of soompi, and bilibili is like youtube?

That's Right! 

My mandarin is very limited, but aren’t 大愛 and  甚愛 just different degrees of love and not necessarily romantic vs platonic?

"大爱“ literally means " Great Love" or "Transcendent Love".

It is often used to describe a kind of abstract love without any sexual meaning.

It is more like God's love for humankind, Buddha's blessing to followers, or an Emperor's love to the people he rules.

So I think it is unbelievable for those non-shippers to use this word to describe DH's love for JA. 

And it could be an explanation to the age factor.   Some youths do not experience love.

In China's mainland, there is a strange phenomenon that is popular among the youth.

They want the hero and heroine in a novel or a drama both to be virgins without any love experience. 

If not they would fiercely criticize the author. 

That's maybe another reason many youths would "wish it is not to be a romantic story"  for DH was an aged and love-experienced man.

And maybe some fans of IU would also think that LSK did not match her.

Unbelievable thoughts.

3 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

Oh, it makes sense.
I didn't think about that.
But if so, I am curious why they don't feel weird.
Because DH had married.
Don't they think DH will betray YH?

There is a kind of people, even if they do something out of the ordinary, we will think that there must be an understandable reason. Because this person's reputation and character are too good.  I think DH is such a person.

Edited by Thomas Zhang
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

5 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

"大爱“ literally means " Great Love" or "Transcendent Love".

It is often used to describe a kind of abstract love without any sexual meaning.

It is more like God's love for humankind, Buddha's blessing to followers, or an Emperor's love to the people he rules.

Oh thanks for the explanation! I guess it is equivalent to what they call agape love. 

5 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

In China's mainland, there is a strange phenomenon that is popular among the youth.

They want the hero and heroine in a novel or a drama both to be virgins without any love experience. 

If not they would fiercely criticize the author. 

That's maybe another reason many youths would "wish it is not to be a romantic story"  for DH was an aged and love-experienced man.

And maybe some fans of IU would also think that LSK did not match her.

Well, I would assume these youths you are referring to, most of them would be virgins themselves (Well, at least their parents would hope so! :sweatingbullets:) I guess it's natural for everyone to project his/her own reality to the heroes and heroines they see on movies. So I guess it is also natural for them to also prefer inexperienced protagonists. 

But I get your point, on how many viewers would project their own preferences -- wishing the relationship to be platonic, etc. -- to the leads despite so many scenes that show otherwise. And that's for both the oldies and the young ones. :D

• Like 4

8 hours ago, actionscript said:

I think it boils down to the following scenarios for all viewers:

Pre-time skip:

1. Both JA and DH's feelings are platonic

2. JA has romantic feelings, but DH's is platonic

3. JA has romantic feelings, while DH's is romantic but is restraining them

4. JA has romantic feelings, while DH's is romantic but restrained, yet they would label this as platonic nevertheless, as they identify platonic not with feelings but with the outcome

Post time skip:

1. DH is still married, so DH and JA will be besties forever.

2. The ending is open, given both are now in a better place, both free and healed, the show left open the possibility of romance.

3. DH and JA going for a romantic relationship is hinted upon.

4. DH and JA going for a romantic relationship is heavily implied.

I have a friend who was a 1 pre-time skip, but believed it was a 4 post time skip. I can live with that. ^_^ 

And the point is that while it can be platonic at one time, it doesn't mean it will remain that way forever.

This is a great matrix! B) I love it! Let's see...the first time I watched it I was a 2 pre-time skip and 1 post-time skip (darn Netflix subtitles!!!).

After discovering Give Me Slippers, upon my next watch I was 3 pre-time skip and 4 post time-skip. That remained, but became stronger and stronger, through today. :lol: Especially after hearing you and @Pixaiated talk more about Dong Hoon's narrative arc, and how much logical sense it makes for him to pursue what would make him actually happy at the end, i.e. Ji An.

Would be fun to present this matrix to more people and see how their thoughts evolve with more watches.

10 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

Lee Sun-kyun will always be accepted in my mind. :blush:

(Lee Sun-kyun I love you. :blush:)

:joy::wub:

10 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

That's why I started to search the English websites and finally found GMS and can "survive,"

or I think I will be very upset for a long time.

I'm so glad you found the other sites....I think MM can be something that touches you deeply, and you have to find other people to talk to about it. Especially if you see a loveline there but it's not obvious...other people help you process it for sure.

21 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

There was a vote on douban.

Here it is https://www.douban.com/group/topic/202388640/?_dtcc=1&_i=3040221vzGdfif

It is almost even. 

So interesting! Thanks for posting these voting results. It's fascinating to me how about half of all people - even across cultures and languages - still do see a loveline there. We're not crazy. :lol:

Guys, I think the four of us commenting right now all have some experience with Chinese. Funny, eh? 朋友,大家好!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

agape love.

Learned a new phrase:lol:

So I guess it is also natural for them to also prefer inexperienced protagonists. 

Teenagers and adults watch and comment same movie or drama.
Then divergence emerges.

I argued with those non-shippers that there were many possible directions for the non-romantic storyline.

But Director Kim did not choose any of them.

For example, why did SH's daughter, DH's niece, just appear once in the drama?
If the direction of the plot is so-called redemption without any romance, SH's daughter as a peer may be the more appropriate character  to help JA.

In fact, there were many ways that DH can help JA without generating any rumors.

He could let the three employees with him move JA's grandmother to the nursing home, not all by himself alone.
He could let his niece become a friend of JA.
He could let Hoogye Ahjussis protect her earlier.

He did not do these things at all. 

He chose to help JA alone without letting anyone else know.  Even JA herself knew that those photos of DH helping her alone and being with her alone could be the evidences of attacking DH. 

Did not DH himself know that?

He chose to have dinner with JA late at night. When asked by his wife, he said he was having dinner with "those staff members".  

Why did he lie?

He chose to fight GI but did not dare to say  whom he fought. He would rather let his brother misunderstand that he fought the adulterer.

Why did he hide this fact?

I think his subconsiousness wanted to make JA his own exclusive existence.

And the show could end at their parting dinner.

Or at their only-once hug scene.

Or at JA's new job scene.

That is enough for a redemption drama.

Why did Director Kim want them reunited?

All the choice Director Kim made is to let us know it is indeed a story about a man who cares about a specific and unique woman.

Edited by Thomas Zhang
  • Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

4 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

I argued with those non-shippers that there were many possible directions for the non-romantic storyline.

I agree with all the scenarios you listed. All of DH's actions, most notable those he had chosen to hide, belie his thoughts and feelings for JA.

And also the scenes the PDnim chose to fill the show with, and these are all romantic drama tropes:

-          Ji An’s 5 running scenes to DH, and DH's earth-shattering run to JA

-          Their 8 dinner/drinks scenes, including the first 3 non-friendly ones

-          DH’s 5 neck-stare scenes

-          DH and JA’s 3 walk-home scenes, plus one driving scene

-          Countless longing and pining-for-the-other scenes, most notable is the one in ep 12 with DH in the van

I doubt the show would have employed so much romantic tropes if the end game is just friendship.

I have not watched a lot of K dramas, but are there other K dramas where the protagonists are just friends, yet the show would have so much scenes I listed above between them?

For example, for those K dramas where the protagonists are a group, Reply 1988 and Hospital Playlist come to mind though I haven’t watched both, I’m sure there would be romantic couples among the protagonists, while there would also be good friends. Among the good friends, did the show also have such scenes I listed above between them, like in the same amount??

And as you mentioned, the fact that the last reunion scene was put in there.. DH and JA would have already been BFF’s prior to JA's departure to Busan. I don’t get the narrative sense of having them meet again after a time skip to resume their being BFF’s. The show could have just shown snippets of their new, happier lives after their healing journeys. And the fact that they had to give each other space while they were apart.. 

Well, sometimes friends do need to give other space.. Friends also run to each other, give each other neck stares, give each other longing looks.. Perhaps one or two items I listed here do happen between friends. But all of the above at the same time? Have any other movie/show devote so much of such scenes between characters that are just meant to be friends? Unless of course the story is that of a tragic, ill-fated love story. 

4 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

After discovering Give Me Slippers, upon my next watch I was 3 pre-time skip and 4 post time-skip. That remained, but became stronger and stronger, through today.

I was a 3 pre-time skip and a 2 post-time skip on my first watch, then it went to 3-3 and now a solid 3-4. :lol:

4 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

朋友,大家好!

大家 恭喜發財 in advance! :D

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

I was a 3 pre-time skip and a 2 post-time skip on my first watch, then it went to 3-3 and now a solid 3-4. 

Ha! You were farther along than I was my first watch. I seriously was so oblivious the first time I saw it!

2 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

And the show could end at their parting dinner.

Or at their only-once hug scene.

Or at JA's new job scene.

That is enough for a redemption drama.

Why did Director Kim want them reunited?

And as you mentioned, the fact that the last reunion scene was put in there.. DH and JA would have already been BFF’s prior to JA's departure to Busan. I don’t get the narrative sense of having them meet again after a time skip to resume their being BFF’s. The show could have just shown snippets of their new, happier lives after their healing journeys. And the fact that they had to give each other space while they were apart.. 

Have any other movie/show devote so much of such scenes between characters that are just meant to be friends? Unless of course the story is that of a tragic, ill-fated love story. 

You guys are so insightful. This is exactly the kind of thing I missed upon my first watch. Sorry to throw so many GMS articles at everyone, but this one echoes what you both are saying and was sooo helpful for me when I read it.

"How Great Love Stories End"  https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/07/12/how-great-love-stories-end/

You all are exactly right. PDnim could have chosen other endings...and he didn't.

Ending excerpt:

"Did they end at any of the above moments? NO!!!

That to me is the clearest sign of the writer and the production team’s intent. How did they choose to end it? With Dong Hoon gripping Ji An’s hand for 30 seconds.

LT4xGRP.gif

GIF credit to https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/07/12/how-great-love-stories-end/

His longing and desire conveyed in his unwillingness to let go, giving her enough confidence to ask him to meet again. For a delicious meal (and we know this means something not expensive, but one of their regular every day meals). How does Dong Hoon answer? With his shy, winsome, Mark Darcy smile. And, and!!! He calls her Ji An! Not Lee Ji An, Lee Ji An sshi, but the very intimate, Ji An.

The writer planted all the seeds for the blossoming of a beautiful, long-lasting love. Their love story lies in what was UNSAID. And that’s the show’s beauty."

Friends also run to each other, give each other neck stares, give each other longing looks.. 

Lol. Ummm....hmmmm....something else is going on if a friend is doing these to another friend. :joy: Which is your point exactly.

2 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

Were you able to convince them? Because your following argument/ points are brilliant. Until Episode 12, Dong Hoon did not really involve anyone else in caring for Ji An.

大家 恭喜發財

Look what I ordered with my Christmas money! The Lego Lunar New Year Ice Festival set. It was delivered to me yesterday:

th?id=OIP.9dMQO4OK8u91ZLYD2sxLqgHaEi%26p

:lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

This clip on Twitter reminded me of what you wrote about Dong Hoon taking medicine because he was sick. Does anyone remember which episode this is from?

Episode 6 :) after he's discovered Yoon Hee's affair at the end of Episode 5 :( .

Btw @sadiesmith are you watching Uncle at all, with Jeon Hye Jin (LSK's wife, as you know)? I've never seen anything with her, and am enjoying it a lot.

• Like 3