[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Happy new year everyone! Its been great scrolling through the comments one by one, like walking down memory lane.

On 12/22/2018 at 10:25 AM, popai5 said:

Spoiler. Here goes the poem/song. Skip to next post everyone.

This is our beloved Jian's mind wandering, hoping, speaking.

Looking through the subway window at the coat on a slumping frame.

My heart reaches out to touch your soul praying your reflection does the same.

Moon bright this night but through dusty glass can't pierce the gloom from this depressing room.

Cold bite of night, in open air, can't dim the fond glow gleaned from my mated soul.

On the road I spy you engaged, seemingly cozy in your life.

But on another day those eyes can't hide such pent up hurt and strife.

At my reflection I say, "it's no big deal".

But why? Oh my! This longing do I feel.

Oh glass barrier if only it will break.

But your earnestness and morality so impossible to shake.

I long to meet. Long to touch. Long to share.

Shatter this glass barrier and expose your emotions bare.

In our special place we share a meal, a laugh, a drink.

A sanctuary where we don't care what other's think.

At my reflection I say, "it's no big deal".

Oh my. Won't deny. My heart you did steal.

Looking through the subway window at the coat on a comforting frame.

My heart reaches out to hod you tight. We now agree there is no shame.

Whoa.... thanks @popai5 for sharing this poem! No way I'm skipping this. Your poem is personal and heartfelt, so full of longing... I feel that it is such a fitting way to describe their relationship, lyrics for muted roads at night and silent stares. I think you are brave to share creative works in public too. Sometimes I feel I reveal myself so much because of what I write, especially since MA brings out Everything in me . So thanks for being brave!

I truly enjoyed the musical too, read it about 5 times. You melded together so many scenes perfectly. Sometimes JA and DH speak as one, and then complement one another so well as different people. Plus the traffic signals to go together, whoa... you must have given a lot of thought to this. I will keep this to remind me of MA. Yes, DH must sing more songs of longing in unison with JA :wub:

2 hours ago, widala said:

Oldie but goldie...

Ten years ago, Lee Sun Kyun sang the song that would be My Ahjussi OST 

@widala It must be fated! :D

Something reminded me of MA, which is the poster of a movie (have not watched it yet) called Miss Baek starring Han Jimin, about the relationship between a sex worker and a kid. 

Spoiler

Image result for miss baek

Sometimes JA stands this way as well. Isn't this the way some sex workers stand to indicate who they are. Or stand by the roadside.My%20ahjussi%20kdrama%20-%20trailer_zpsoI don't mean this in a vulgar way, but I wonder if KWS wanted to link JA with the image of sex workers. After all she sells herself for money. Asks the CEO if she should strip in front of DH? If she should sleep with DH? (unforgettable lines :mellow:) . In fact the last part of the trailer for MA seems just like that if you do not know the context - a man hesitates in propositioning a woman, then walks away. But I guess this theory doesn't hold because by the time she stood to wait for him to give him the slippers she is in love with him...

Spoiler

My%20ahjussi%20kdrama%20-%20waiting_zpst

She has been waiting since Ep 2

Spoiler

My%20ahjussi%20kdrama%20-%20windswept_zp

And she waits some more...

Spoiler

My%20ahjussi%20kdrama%20-%20morewaiting_

Another thing about the windswept look, isn't it a bit like the orphan from Les Mis?

Spoiler

My%20ahjussi%20kdrama%20-%20orphan_zpsiv

Spoiler

Image result for les miserables

Spoiler

Image result for les mis orphan

Sorry for the random thoughts. I must miss MA so much! 

• Like 5

On 1/11/2019 at 7:58 AM, oldschooler said:

I don't mean this in a vulgar way, but I wonder if KWS wanted to link JA with the image of sex workers. After all she sells herself for money. Asks the CEO if she should strip in front of DH? If she should sleep with DH? (unforgettable lines :mellow:) . In fact the last part of the trailer for MA seems just like that if you do not know the context - a man hesitates in propositioning a woman, then walks away. But I guess this theory doesn't hold because by the time she stood to wait for him to give him the slippers she is in love with him...

@oldschooler, I always love your observations and insights. Thank you for continuing to share them here. I don't think I'd ever get over this drama. 

• Like 4

Is anyone watching Memories of Alhambra? Many viewers are very unhappy with the way Park Sin Hye's character is written as it is severely underdeveloped. In a recent interview, the writer of that drama confessed that she originally pictured that character to be like IU's Lee Ji An. Something obviously went wrong in the writing because that character is nothing like LJA. But I'm so pleased that even drama writers are inspired by My Ajusshi.

Dw_9-r2UUAAt6qV.jpg

• Like 5

On 1/11/2019 at 10:58 PM, oldschooler said:

Another thing about the windswept look, isn't it a bit like the orphan from Les Mis?

Thanks @oldschooler for sharing your thoughts.

That windswept look maybe to symbolize the unprotected state of these orphans...

On 1/17/2019 at 3:36 PM, sadiesmith said:

Is anyone watching Memories of Alhambra? Many viewers are very unhappy with the way Park Sin Hye's character is written as it is severely underdeveloped. In a recent interview, the writer of that drama confessed that she originally pictured that character to be like IU's Lee Ji An. Something obviously went wrong in the writing because that character is nothing like LJA. But I'm so pleased that even drama writers are inspired by My Ajusshi.

I watched the first two episodes before dropping it, because I already followed too many on going dramas at the time (Feel Good to Die, Children of Nobody and Sky Castle). I planned to watch it later after it's finished.

But, yes, there are some complaints I found in Twitter about PSH's character... Wow, I never thought her char was originally intended to be similar to our Ji An....

Lee Ji An is really a special character. Writer nim managed to keep her traits and importance intact through out the drama.

Sometimes in a kdrama, a strong female lead is turned into a damsel in distress once she met the male lead. Or, the development of the female lead got sacrifice for the sake of the male lead's arc.

LJA stayed strong. Even after she fell in love with PDH, she stayed as who she is. She wouldn't let PDH be her knight is shining armor (once she knew PDH found out about her debt and he wanted to help her pay for it, she quickly pay for it all)...

It's just too bad we didn't get to see LJA's struggling in Busan...

But since the drama is called My Ahjussi, so no wonder we get to know more about the "Ahjussi".

Maybe, if Studio Dragon would make the spin off, titled My Agassi, we'll get more LJA (wishful thinking :D)

• Like 5

I hate to make the comparison, but does anyone else see the similarities?

James’s new hero Maxim inherits his family’s noble title after a tragedy. “It’s a role he’s not prepared for and one that he struggles to face,” said Arrow. “But his biggest challenge is fighting his desire for an unexpected, enigmatic young woman who’s recently arrived in England, possessing little more than a dangerous and troublesome past. Reticent, beautiful, and musically gifted, she’s an alluring mystery, and Maxim’s longing for her deepens into a passion that he’s never experienced and dares not name.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jan/24/el-james-returns-with-passionate-new-romance-the-mister

• Like 5

On 1/24/2019 at 4:27 PM, justamom said:

Maxim’s longing for her deepens into a passion that he’s never experienced and dares not name.”

This one. 

On 1/17/2019 at 9:36 AM, sadiesmith said:

She was actually doing great with the saviour part in the beginning. I think she let herself get distracted by the casting. Truly opposite to My Mister where the actors became the characters, she tried making a character that fits the actors. I wish she just carried on with what she intended to do in the beginning.

The first few episodes were really great and exciting but the pressure to do more romance might have gotten to her. A shame though. I really liked the subtle but compelling relationship that was developing between them. 

My Mister isn’t labeled as ‘romance’ but it got people saying otherwise. 

Thats why My Ahjussi remains so unparalleled. Really THE best drama. 

And has anyone else been catching up on SKY Castle? Officially the highest rating cable program now. Such an amazing feat. 

Im on episode 9 at the moment but its taking longer for me to get hooked. Im still going to finish this regardless though. 

• Like 6

Found this on Twitter

24 Jan 2019, in the talk show JTBC Movieroom, Lee Sun Kyun was comparing a movie "I, Daniel Blake" with My Ahjussi.

But, I don't know which part of the two projects he saw as similar.

I haven't found any clips or articles about it. Many other clips and articles are about LSK's movie "Helpless"...

Maybe, you guys can help translate what is written in the pic below...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Annyeong, everyone!!!! :D

I can't believe it's already 2019!  It's been a while since I visited this thread.  After so many months of being so hung up on this drama, checking this thread and the fansite almost everyday, I was finally able to go back to my normal self.  HeeHee.

But coming back here, catching up on everyone's posts, getting to listen to IU/LJE's unreleased song for the soundtrack, and seeing that scene again of Lee Ji An standing by the roadside, waiting for Park Dong Hoon so she can give him the slippers...and I'm back where it all started. The ache isn't as acute as it was the first time I watched the drama, but it's still there, and it still lingers.  No wonder even the actors have a special place in their hearts for their characters and this drama.  It really was beautiful!  

I hope they release "The Station" and create an official MV made up of scenes from the drama.  Better yet, maybe the team that created the drama should put together the unreleased scenes and shoot new ones just for this song.  I bet that will be a big hit. 

Thank you, @Joseph Lim for sharing that video.  :) 

• Like 5

On 1/24/2019 at 7:27 AM, justamom said:

I hate to make the comparison, but does anyone else see the similarities?

James’s new hero Maxim inherits his family’s noble title after a tragedy. “It’s a role he’s not prepared for and one that he struggles to face,” said Arrow. “But his biggest challenge is fighting his desire for an unexpected, enigmatic young woman who’s recently arrived in England, possessing little more than a dangerous and troublesome past. Reticent, beautiful, and musically gifted, she’s an alluring mystery, and Maxim’s longing for her deepens into a passion that he’s never experienced and dares not name.”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jan/24/el-james-returns-with-passionate-new-romance-the-mister

What a coincidence, especially in her title "The Mister." 

@ann04, if you go over to the SKY Castle thread, I think you'll find many familiar names there. I haven't started but plan to. Wish it were a little easier to access.

• Like 3