[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

So instead of watching another Korean drama I went back to watch one of my favourites, In the Mood For Love. And more than ever, I'm convinced that Oh Hae Young / PD Kim were inspired by In the Mood For Love. 

What is the one memento that Chow Mo Wan keeps to remind him of Su Li Zhen? The one 'love gift' PD Kim uses in his shows?

bHTrlkR.png

Her slippers. Left in his room while she was "trapped" by the arrival of outside guests for an all-night mahjong session.

Many years later, after they part, she somehow finds her way to Singapore where he has moved, and ends up in his room. Chow returns and the room is empty - but he knows someone has called. He sees a single lit cigarette still burning on an ashtray and starts searching his room--the slippers are nowhere to be found.

It's been a couple of years since I watched the show, maybe even a decade, and watching it again--this truly is a masterpiece. My Ahjussi reminded me so much of the feelings I experienced watching In the Mood for Love and I wanted to watch it again to remember why.

Here's another memorable scene with parallels to My Ahjussi. While Chow and Su have been meeting over dinner, discussing writing, books, they each keep reminding themselves they are different from their cheating spouses. They will not even go anywhere near the line.

But this moment, three quarters in, Chow's mask falls away:

jH1pJfy.png

Here's the particular dialogue. Tony Leung - Chow Mo Wan, Maggie Cheung - Su Li Zhen. 

SLZ: You looked for me?

CMW: I thought your colleague didn't pass my message. I wanted to buy a boat ticket. 

SLZ: You have to go somewhere?

CMW: Ah Beng sent me many letters. He doesn't have enough people, he wants me to go over and help.

SLZ: How long are you planning to go? 

CMW: I don't know. Let's see when I get there.

SLZ: Why did you suddenly think of going to Singapore? (Dong Hoon: Why do you have to go that far?)

CMW: I want a change of environment ... rather than listen to everyone talk (about us)  (Ji An: I want to try and live as a different person & Ji An in the phone booth scene: Why, so they can throw a farewell party for a murderer?")

SLZ: It's fine as long as we know nothing happened.

CMW: That's what I thought as well before...that's why I wasn't scared about what people said. I believed I wouldn't be like them ... but I was. (pause) I know you won't leave your husband. I want to go away for a while. (Ji An: A person who can be happy without me has no attraction to me & Ji An: I didn't want to be lingering around like a fool hoping to catch a glimpse of you)

SLZ: I didn't think you would really like me.

CMW: I didn't think of it either. (pause) Back then we kept wondering how they started. Now I know. It turns out a lot of things are like that. I thought I would be fine...then I started to worry about what time your husband would return. Best if he didn't. I know, it's not right of me to think like that. 

----

The gender roles are reversed here. Su Li Zhen (Maggie Cheung) is like Park Dong Hoon, unable to extricate herself from society's expectations of her - "I know you won't leave your husband." Ji An knows too, that Dong Hoon won't leave Yeon Hee. Not with all the rumours swirling about her and Do Joon Young and their marriage. He will stay just to prove them all wrong. And so, like Chow Mo Wan came to realise, she must go. And so to save Dong Hoon's goodness, to save the integrity of their relationship, she sacrifices herself. Just like Chow Mo Wan sacrifices himself -- so they will never, can never cross the line, and to protect Su Li Zhen's goodness. To protect her good name as a married woman.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I rewatched episode 11 and first part of 12 last night.  So many things happen in episode 11, but for now, can someone tell me what to think of this?

It's the famous scene: the heart sign "opening the curtain" to reveal Ji An on the other side.  But just before that DH sees a white car with a sleeping passenger in the back, followed by a red car with another sleeping passenger in the back?  What the heck?  These can't be random?

8POGSJL1cfyGrd26fPXOTuwG_wiLzlNQpflNyJJD1HZBaZ38EYMdahsNjPecvU1pZoEmZA7fiOPqVvwjT8n4ElIePdkutFtVW0BPDH4dGxVe746L_Fd_Bsm7nhtl2kLmsY8I04wwuKR778towDgyF6w7hNdCgqSvWjZbjlUsEUJ4RDqji56cU70pMwA0UuoEyl-VCPKhNl9qX_xavsaExuonDEE8BswG7u1LR1MSYSHo1V5pgRVTqQQS9BLvuqJaRVnf7a_mNJIhr7w4Ncx4tAqM8Hwz_CKlb9xZyXF1_CjLQmOtCjGBg4fuy4ZEEXVK7JJgCDwOmY5UeXUeTWbBQ-uznvyq_BHM3MENuxD7zucQQn6xF1vgbjXt_sINbQm8j7elVkfj1uSQbZ9Zu6I20TV_

Spoiler

ar2ItWxTOY1ovsFusfwWVWtNm9j22EVsEAP_8yOYlhpNyRxEsnsdPTANNn70jaNr13NUTW88dIAvh3aKzDLviYPzOyOWaihmN0qL4tKDQiPebRvFB377gV8M2IxlWiUMmSWSOsV6

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

I rewatched episode 11 and first part of 12 last night.  So many things happen in episode 11, but for now, can someone tell me what to think of this?

It's the famous scene: the heart sign "opening the curtain" to reveal Ji An on the other side.  But just before that DH sees a white car with a sleeping passenger in the back, followed by a red car with another sleeping passenger in the back?  What the heck?  These can't be random?

The scenes go with the voiceover from Dong Hoon’s flashback.

“After twenty years together...I don’t know what to do.”

The sleeping guys represent Dong Hoon’s state of mind before meeting Ji An, his state of mind in his marriage. Inactive and just going along for the ride. But Ji An’s love for him woke him up, and that is the way out of his twenty something year long slumber.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, justamom said:

The scenes go with the voiceover from Dong Hoon’s flashback.

“After twenty years together...I don’t know what to do.”

The sleeping guys represent Dong Hoon’s state of mind before meeting Ji An, his state of mind in his marriage. Inactive and just going along for the ride. But Ji An’s love for him woke him up, and that is the way out of his twenty something year long slumber.

That's what I thought, too, but that seems obvious so I was wondering if there is more to it.  And two cars, one of them red?  

• Like 4

On 7/22/2018 at 10:32 AM, sadiesmith said:

Right on, @widala.  The best example of that gentle low voice is in episode 4, when he asks her to take medicine for her fever.  

Did I ghostwrite this? I cannot tell you how many times I re-played that scene when the episode first came out. And I also have no idea why I loved that short scene so much. 

@h2ogirl - your post on the traffic signals is kinda incredible! I can't believe how well so many things line up? I'm going to pay attention to this the next time I rewatch any of the episodes.

And I finally checked out the fansite! Wow you guys are truly the MVPs. Thank you so much for putting it together. I can just imagine so many new fans of the show just stumbling onto this treasure trove of goodies.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Didn't realize there are so many traffic signals, and also, it took me a while to realize there is a "caution" sign in many scenes.  Are they all the same sign? 

Haha, I know right? If they were the same sign, then I grouped them under the same heading. By the Stop + Caution signs, I meant the group of three signs by the railway tracks (see below).

The Caution sign in Ep 3 is technically the same, but it appears in a different place, without any other sign. (The little yellow triangle you see as Ji An stomps off.)

K0ZsDmw.gif

All other times, the Caution sign is the one by the railway tracks (I've circled the Caution sign):

WtCSkBD.jpg

Interestingly, in this Ep 6 scene above, the Caution sign doesn't appear at all! But it's shown clearly in the Ep 15 flashback (same scene but from a different perspective) when Ji An remembers Dong Hoon saying the exact same words he told her, and then apologizes over and over. How can I not think that the PD-nim consciously put this sign in?!

On 7/22/2018 at 8:00 PM, t123han said:

The other scene that that had me with the voice tone is when jian tells PDH that she hates winter during one of their long walks. He then tells her that’s not something 20 year old should say.

jian spoke in such a low tone it was almost like a whisper but the talk felt so initimate. They are actually sharing there inner most feelings during their walking rendezvous.

Yes, so intimate. I know this doesn't compare, but the other day I was strolling with my best friend through her neighborhood during sunset, and it felt like such an intimate moment. I can only imagine how much more intimate and cozy it felt for two soulmates to stroll together, in the dead of winter, so late at night.

9 hours ago, arctichare said:

@h2ogirl - your post on the traffic signals is kinda incredible! I can't believe how well so many things line up? I'm going to pay attention to this the next time I rewatch any of the episodes.

Wow, this is such an honor. I seriously think you're one of THE wisest posters here.

Like @sadiesmith said, it's amazing how well this show is holding up no matter how much scrutiny we put it through. Just goes to show it's A+++++ quality.

• Like 11

14 hours ago, riazni said:

I also wondered on how DH has (un?)consciously chose JA over chairman, ep 3/4 where  chairman invited DH to eat together..DH said he already had dinner plan (while gazing to JA). I was actually amused on how JA steely gazed could be part of DH’s rejection to chairman’s invitation, but my shipper heart could not resist to think that DH has actually wanted to know more about this young lady through a dinner date, hahaa..(I should say that I only approved this slight leaning into emotional affair of DH and JA in early episode because I couldn’t be more confused and upset on how YH could be so calm on having emotional and physical affair with JY :crazy:)

In the same scene, when chairman asks DH for dinner , I must admire PDH guts to blantantly gaze at jian in front of all those people and refuse chairman. It was at this moment that the camera spans over Do Joon Young for a split second where he gives side eyes which kind of was following in the direction PDH looked. He must have guessed it there itself who PDH gave a look to. 

This was after jian had agreed to get PDH fired. So I have a feeling DJY had enough clues like this in beginning to think that PDH was also in some way falling for jian. He was the only character no matter happy pathetic funny he was, to openly tell jian and PDH that they really do love each other . But of course he had to be a prick by bringing in the sleazy part, but nevertheless he did mention what all of us here wanted to scream out. PDH you fool , you are hopelessly in love with jian!!!!! 

During my rewatch, I was trying to analyse different kind of relation that PDH and jian might be having , and one of the common one was being just close friends. Now I am not that close minded of a person to think that a man and woman can’t be friends. 

Of course you can be friends with a guy. I have guy friends. We meet and have a chat and we go on with our lives.and if it’s workplace we have lunch, occasional chats and are basically comfortable around each other. With me being married I won’t actively seek them out to tell my family problems, and if I know if anyone of those guy friend loves me like jian loves PDH either I will straighten him( PDH style) or stay away from him making it clear that 

I am not interested. From this point it becomes difficult to be friends with ur guy friend knowing they love you . You get uncomfortable around them fearing that any of your action could lead them on and give a false impression. That’s how real world works!! 

But our beloved PDH actively seeks out jian even after knowing how the poor girl feels for him. Either he is foolish or selfish. I think he is foolish selfish man who still doesn’t acknowledge his feelings and doesn’t want to let go of her because she helps him breathe. 

And can you guys imagine telling your partner that there is someone in your life who gives you strength and helps you breathe and is of opposite sex and  pretty/handsome one at that too. And expect them to understand your feelings about them... ha... try that in real world. Thanks PD-nim for giving us a passive aggressive  drama which has left us with a big heartache and terrible longing which we are not able to shake off. And PDH how dare you not choose a romantic movie/ drama as your next act with that smexy walk/ talk of yours !! You are our McDreamy and are just wasting your charms doing endless action movies !!! 

Pick up something romantic or just produce one for yourself for our damn sake!!! 

Now let me get back to real world and let go off my virtual love for PDH and serve breakfast to my real world spouse !!!!! 

• Like 4
  • LOL 10
  • Thanks 1

I have almost forgotten about this observation by @noor1 until I put up this latest post on the fan site today.  Quoting her: 

I have to add one thing: the drama DID use sexual / sensual suggestive innuendos to frame Dong Hoon and Ji-An scenes together. For e.g. the first time she eats in front of him, she picks a long nugget topped with white sauce and puts it in her mouth while he looks on. 

Can anyone still see this scene as purely innocent now? :D

cMFFkf2a9SVocNXY2Wx3JaukzYt4Z-P2dqDtOe_mPlpzcs_ppN1lWiKd1hUmUsXZ7DayxuO_3IG17G8S_Fty1oK9V2-upWmhtDEvJTV3iYiAsLaI8O4cUOhzbergRwvVG-DVUUxR

DuYyNGBP5cRY4Q291TZYPAvN4uijKUEbOQt-wfM22NSGOzeQ6bqD9w4MTbdh-DmiqPh-eAVdQPqALyg17ExFVeWKE5QPj_42_9o2ccrYueSgIxPOzF60pnN2QrF_YXTpiAfDl6No

wanm7rQ6Ec_RfH0v_xGD6EPkRYfUWVcAvOggzec76d7-CCic3FzxMEQUbAvZ25Yt_VMzrmM53wx_WKaTdv1yrRqUy7D9-r1QZx_5pKWNrMhi5ducfNPmu4khsroMHAWPfELBvCes

Spoiler

RHUadVuubjLA4gftJszZtPPm_htPDAFRZ_cN6hjpheVGqG7qxt7IiSw-PNXRgFJyWear7mTZOdfAp8U_rZX569Z-fqKi-fHkEK-pPNntPJUIR5RyimPci2WMZFuF5g5JOU0umxe2

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 2
  • LOL 10

Oh my eyes !!!!!! I can not unsee this now !!!

i would like to get into PDH mind at that exact moment. 

What was jacket pulling all about ? Did it mean she was hot because of what she ate just now which in turn can mean other kind of hot if you look it in sexual way !! 

And during their initial two meals DH just stares at her till she completes the meal. Geez... PDH let her have meal in peace without your curious glare piercing right through her.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

1 hour ago, useranon2244 said:

Did anyone else notice that the only time DH smoked was when he found out the truth about the bribe money? It was when JA ignored him bc he turned down her invitation to buy her a meal?

Welcome @useranon2244!  You're right that this seems to be the only time that he actually does inhale (exhale).  There are a few other scenes where he thinks of smoking, or just holds the cigarette in his hand but never smokes it.  But here, he is either letting himself enjoy some pleasure or the stress has finally gotten the better of him.

_s7ouJJ8bmgIhGaPVVfCTMA_whDT-NRUivwpa6xcP0eL3K98qyQDRjCjZFDdOxX6w9zJXwBpFPvo_Ltfg1uMgsvsSTYLO8sd1H668ErWCrYHBXQmh0UkT9MppvrzYcyGILPCpLZV

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I have almost forgotten about this observation by @noor1 until I put up this latest post on the fan site today.  Quoting her: 

I have to add one thing: the drama DID use sexual / sensual suggestive innuendos to frame Dong Hoon and Ji-An scenes together. For e.g. the first time she eats in front of him, she picks a long nugget topped with white sauce and puts it in her mouth while he looks on. 

Wow, I never even thought about that.

My take for that scene is always innocent, "The food looks delicious" and "Poor Ji An, she rarely eat this much of food..."

Thanks, for putting my mind in the gutter :sweatingbullets:

Now, I can't watch that scene without giggling like a teenager :lol:

From that dinner scene, I was amused by this part

yoF7TaX.jpg

It was very rude and I love it!

I think it shows that Ji An had the upper hand because she knows his secret. And she kind of revels in having a power over these older more powerful men (PDH and DJY), because she's been powerless most of her life...

• Like 10
  • LOL 3

@sadiesmith OMG that is some hot stuff. Thanks for clarifying the suggestive part. :lol:

Speaking of hot stuff, check out @justamom's fanfic update. My pervy mind can totally imagine them.

@ccl82 Odiyaaa? I've compiled Ahjussi's longing looks, like you suggested sometime back.

Here are two of my favorites:

Their sexiness kills me

BucCPWJ.gif

Dong Hoon’s had it with subtle stares. Cue blatant stares.

mCdjV9V.gif

More eye-candy: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/07/24/gif-ahjussis-longing-looks/

• Like 10
  • LOL 3
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, h2ogirl said:

@ccl82 Odiyaaa? I've compiled Ahjussi's longing looks, like you suggested sometime back.

Here are two of my favorites:

Their sexiness kills me

Dong Hoon’s had it with subtle stares. Cue blatant stares.

More eye-candy: https://givemeslippers.wordpress.com/2018/07/24/gif-ahjussis-longing-looks/

@h2ogirl, I am ruined.  Couldn't stop grinning like a loon all morning.  platonic: you're doing it wrong indeed!

And that long stare without blinking totally reminded me of this tag: also someone please tell Park Dong Hoon that humans usually BLINK

• Like 7
  • LOL 4

These posts are so amusing :lol: and it’s amusing that we still manage to find these tiny details here and there when it seemed like everything’s been dissected already. Thank you for feeding my MA longing. I don’t know what to say about that not so innocent tempura analysis :sweatingbullets:. I guess Ill pretend I havent seen that haha. 

And a kind request if anyone can oblige, I remember @justamom collected the best links to DC inside posts, hopefully that could all get translated one day and be put on the fansite please. Im really interested to read them with the proper translation. Thank you :wub:

• Like 10

During the episodes initial airing, someone somewhere complained about the lack of continuity in the Dong Hoon-Yoon Hee confrontation ruining the whole impact of that emotional scene.  I now firmly believe that the switching back and forth between the morning events to the confrontation the night before serves a much deeper purpose than just creative editing.

Dong Hoon asks Yoon Hee how she could even think to cheat with Joon Young.  Let’s say he was lacking, even when he tried his best, even if she is so unhappy she wants a divorce, why does it have to be with Joon Young?

Cut to the scene at Jung Hee’s where he has to wash the breakfast dishes.  Never mind that everyone sees his bruised fingers yet not offers to take over, but to add insult to injury, Jung Hee keeps picking at the "incorrect" way he is doing it, nagging him this way and that, and completely frustrates him.

jl4XX7unfChWXCOlwa2zIptobsFDOuIuBI9pEy9GAw3hHZhLKbYG9P6Esg-vUNOUl3jVyvKUMEOsbOESysSauUrjFaRSbA4HTjXChqptfDKPZfEw2mpH8rxTIQaSo0JrfNnowp-L

Jung Hee: No! Your mom will scold me.  (they do things to appease Omma)

Poor Dong Hoon is reminded that his effort is never enough, because this next scene is his telling Yoon Hee that he was afraid she would get mad at him for keeping a messy house, so he always did the laundry and vacuumed the floor before she got home.  But she would come home, retreated to her office, and he wouldn’t even dare turn up the TV volume thinking that she was busy with work.

Back to the morning scene with his brothers and the soccer gang.  Jae Chul complains that Sang Hoon is not taking good care of his cleaning van, which was his “baby once.”  

Sang Hoon: I treat that car 10 times better than you did.  You just parked him wherever, didn’t you? Well, I park him next to a pretty car every night. ‘Have fun.  Don’t do anything foolish.’ If you park him next to a pretty car, he is different the next morning.

cc8KQGA-bvEx-IROi4i35xnyzsZBFAXUyMqDnnT1_CbdSJdPJzo67aiEpj6vOERx7HrneOvr158LPC5bLKl77efRG1zgHAIgkbYcpTuoTniRTwK-yH42-StnL2quK0i103kIHScK

As soon as you turn on the ignition, brrrrmmmm…. He’s all hyped up. (that smirk on DH's face ...)

Ki Hoon: Is that car male?

Sang Hoon: Does it look like a female.  Didn’t you even know its gender? Can’t you feel its masculine nature?

u_NEXrpG65ua1nw4k_-EHDFRm7XRVQvPoI-k_TXWpDhuX4Kmx-zLA5t9D_sLWM4faaEXRuQsniRDve4QB1fpR3qNAjYJZVxPHD3kpC_uHdSuHCdD_weV3pHko855MMdoSvm5uiZs

THAT car’s male.  I never park him next to cars like that.  He gets discouraged.”

Is anyone still thinking they are only talking about detergent and cars?  What Sang Hoon says about the van might as well apply to Dong Hoon. His new owner (Ji An?) is treating him 10 times better than his own wife, who has in many ways stripped him off his masculinity.  DH is now comparing himself to Joon Young, that black car that screams macho to the max. Yet Sang Hoon does say put him next to a “pretty car (Ji An)” and he is (ehem…) different the next morning.

We know what follows next.  Dong Hoon and Yoon Hee talk about the different things she expects him to be to her, how she hates this neighborhood and his circle of friends.  The camera shows us his bonding with his soccer gang. Inevitably the talk leads to their not knowing how to end this thing they have kept for 20 years.  Cue Ji An at the sidewalk as if to say she is the way out of his mess. @justamom already elaborated on this before.  

Spoiler

e5FftGcLbV3ZpINq1B3nWISWuNp6k4EQKP_MmEc1i-5JFrhXdtp8viDktXIuXZ2ce8FN6c5J-9s5MiXz6LLdWI5252YCpDVA0BinwKuIhUJ9ZNCrn_bIywmDCzue0S3yqnxXC5n7

I skipped over a few things, but really, someone can write a whole essay on the juxtaposition of these scenes.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Damn  this drama is made up of so many layers. Few of the recent observations, I couldn’t even figure them

out even if I watched thm multiple times. I guess we can write a thesis on this drama. 

I love how fine PDH looks suited up once he becomes director. His whole form 

gets changed once he got rid of that bag. 

Do do you guys know if there are any fanfic in Korean ? I don’t mind translating them and reading them for my pleasure since I am always more hungry for DOng Hoon awesomeness !!! 

And how how has been the  response in Japan ? 

• Like 6

On 7/24/2018 at 7:51 AM, h2ogirl said:

Wow, this is such an honor. I seriously think you're one of THE wisest posters here.

Whaat. This coming from someone who consistently has some of the most comprehensive and well-researched posts on this forum. Aww I'm blushing.

iu1.pngiu2.png

I'm not sure I can even acknowledge @sadiesmith's restaurant post. You guys are too wild. :ph34r:

iu3.png

• Like 2
  • LOL 11

I have two questions for our MA detectives:

1. In this Ep 14 scene, starting at ~ 0:22, what's the song playing in the background? Please post the lyrics here if you figure it out. I can't help but think this has some significance after all the mindblowing commentary on Dong Hoon & Yoon Hee's soundtrack, Joon Young & Yoon Hee's soundtrack and Dong Hoon's Yearning to be Free.

2. At Halmeoni's funeral, why does Choon Dae (the custodian guardian) hesitate to hug / comfort Ji An (at the 0:32 mark)? I still can't figure it out after multiple rewatches.

---

For future reference / rewatches, here are the episode-by-episode playlists of all the official tvN clips for MA, courtesy of uri @miracle525 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, h2ogirl said:

I have two questions for our MA detectives:

1. In this Ep 14 scene, starting at ~ 0:22, what's the song playing in the background? Please post the lyrics here if you figure it out. I can't help but think this has some significance after all the mindblowing commentary on Dong Hoon & Yoon Hee's soundtrack, Joon Young & Yoon Hee's soundtrack and Dong Hoon's Yearning to be Free.

At Halmeoni's funeral, why does Choon Dae (the custodian guardian) hesitate to hug / comfort Ji An (at the 0:32 mark)? I still can't figure it out after multiple rewatches.

For future reference / rewatches, here are the episode-by-episode playlists of all the official tvN clips for MA, courtesy of uri @miracle525 

Did you try using Shazam?  That's the app @africandramalover uses frequently to identify a mystery tune.  I can't even make out if that song is in English or Korean.

As for why Choon Dae appears to hesitate, I think he sees that JA is not so alone now.  He probably feels watchful and responsible for her all these years, but now she's got a new father-figure/boyfriend/boss or whatever that guy DH is to her taking his place, and he feels relieved.  He is not hesitating as much as just wanting to take it all in.  That's why he surveys the whole room, and keeps coming back to DH.

Here's another person's take on Choon Dae that never fails to make me laugh:

http://parkdonghoons.tumblr.com/tagged/choon-dae

@arctichare, one more for you, darling:

https://anditendshowyoudexpect.tumblr.com/tagged/all-work-and-no-play-makes-a-mind-stray

• Like 8
  • LOL 2