[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

I believe they were saying 'Zutto! Motto! Mnet!' -> 'Always! More! Mnet!' (the channel's slogan)

That aside...

OMFG THAT IS SO CUTE!!! The Japanese are a godsend ;___;

There should be a ban of some sort against people looking this cute when smiling...I feel like I lost a few years of my age looking at that...

• Like 10
  • LOL 5

14 minutes ago, andius said:

I believe they were saying 'Zutto! Motto! Mnet!' -> 'Always! More! Mnet!' (the channel's slogan)

That aside...

OMFG THAT IS SO CUTE!!! The Japanese are a godsend ;___;

There should be a ban of some sort against people looking this cute when smiling...I feel like I lost a few years of my age looking at that...

I know!  Thank goodness for Japanese release.  Hope they have prepared to give viewers little goodies like this every week until the very end.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, andius said:

That was quick! Thank you!

Next question: do you know how the drama is aired in Japan? I mean – is it subtitled in Japanese? Or dubbed?

And, more generally: are Korean dramas often aired this soon in Japan after being shown in Korea?

• Like 4

@Sakari Based on their trailer here:

I believe it's subtitled in Japanese. Which is good, because I'm not a fan of dubs in general, and no dubs could've done LSK and IU's performance justice.

Unfortunately I don't follow that many dramas either Korean or Japanese, so can't answer your second question...does anyone know?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sakari said:

Next question: do you know how the drama is aired in Japan? I mean – is it subtitled in Japanese? Or dubbed?

And, more generally: are Korean dramas often aired this soon in Japan after being shown in Korea?

Not sure about MA, but when I was in Japan last year, I saw a Korean drama on TV. In Korean, with Japanese subtitles. 

• Like 4

On 7/6/2018 at 4:02 PM, justamom said:

Those of you who ordered the OST, did you order through Yes24? It's been more than a month and I haven't received mine

I ordered through Yes24, and it arrived in 35 days.

yes I did count per day since I was a bit anxious waiting for the CD, a newbie here, hehe..My much younger workmates who are veteran for kpop goodies were reassuring me that it should be normal for anything ordered from korea to arrive to our country in 1 or 1,5 month.

so hopefully yours will arrive in no time,  a month or so is normal for goodies delivery time. otherwise you can just check with their cust service through email, I heard their service is quite good.

All the best!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sakari said:

I’ve seen ‘Black’  ,played by song seung heon and go ara,  a year ago also aired in Japan but few months after its ended  , not this soon though like ‘my mister’ 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, justamom said:

A couple of thoughts on re-watching Episode 16.

1) Dong Hoon waits at Omma's place for Yoon Hee and Ji An to finish their interviews at the police station.

Sang Hoon asks, what are you waiting for?

"Chib-saram" (my wife)

"Why?"

The subtext: what, or who he's really waiting for is Ji An. But he can't say that, obviously, so he says, my wife. Is he waiting for his wife? No, he's waiting to find out the outcome of the investigation and if Ji An will be okay.

2) Dong Hoon and Ji An sitting on the steps of the funeral parlour. She thanks him.

"It wasn't me, it was my older brother."

But that moment when Sang Hoon's face crumples up in the lonely funeral parlour, is it purely because he pities this poor girl whom he has no connection with? NO! It's because this young girl, who has been so important in his brother's life, the girl who kept his brother alive - is not even able to hold a proper funeral. And so this funeral is Sang Hoon thanking Ji An, for everything she has done for Dong Hoon.

3) Funeral parlour. Yoon Hee and Ki Beom say goodbye, Dong Hoon sends them off with a bow-->thank you for coming to my concubine's grandma's funeral :ph34r: I mean, aren't the husband and wife supposed to attend funerals and weddings together? That's what your spouse is for...and the fact that he is sending her off, as the chief mourner at the funeral of someone who is not family--but more important than family

@ccl82 I'm with you. I know @mushroomsoupie and @sadiesmith thought he looked like a slob but really I thought that was his ahjussi get up and that was the new Ji An post time lapse...hmm that gives me some ideas lol

I totally agree about your thoughts,  especially -  the sang hoon thank ji an - part , the actor who played sang hoon ( omg I forgot his name..) also thank IU in her birthday fan meeting, where they watched the last episode together, in the video he said “thank you Ji eun for taking care of our dong hoon.. “, I didn’t really take that seriously but when I rewatched episode 16, I feel that sang hoon as dong hoon’s big brother really  know how he had suffer a lot, and he knows how Ji An has been watching over him, he really thanks her so much, it’s awesome how the actors were totally inmersed in their characters, even after the show ended. 

• Like 10

Thanks @mylovelystar for the post...

It's only 7 seconds long, but it filled my heart with so much happiness :D

3 hours ago, andius said:

@Sakari Based on their trailer here:

I believe it's subtitled in Japanese. Which is good, because I'm not a fan of dubs in general, and no dubs could've done LSK and IU's performance justice.

Agreed...

And Lee Sun Kyun's voice also played a big part. Change it with a different voice will take the "feel" from the drama, imho...

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Sakari said:

LSK's last drama This Week My Wife Will Have an Affair aired in Japan two months it ended in Korea.  Coincidentally, it was a remake of a Japanese original.  

• Like 5

Hello! Are all the MA fans on holiday? Or has everyone finally managed to returned to real life :)

I've been reading this awesome book on characterisation (for writers and screenwriters) and it's amazing how Park Hae Young hits every note. I shared some tidbits earlier, here's another one:

Repression, from a writer's point of view, is simply what happens when the concealment of a secret has been rendered habitual by years of deceit. It's fear of exposure that makes what's hidden dramatically interesting, and for both secrets and repressed desires or traits, that fear is fundamentally the same. What's at stake is our public identity, the person others believe us to be, and all we have built by assuming that role.

I kept thinking of Park Dong Hoon here. He's terrified that Yoon Hee will find out that he knows about her affair - because that would be the end of their marriage. He wants to keep everything quiet, to maintain his public identity: a good father, husband, son and brother. He's terrified people will find out the truth about his marriage, which has been shaky for years, and Yoon Hee in particularly feels suffocated from their lack of communication. 

There's one more layer of meaning to this: he's terrified by his love for Ji An. To his brothers he's always been the morally upright one able to resist all temptation, although he says more than once it wasn't because of his morals, its because he wasn't sufficiently tempted. His love for Ji An terrifies him because he realises it would completely rip him apart and expose his inner secret: that his life has been pathetic, his marriage miserable, and that inside he has the very same human desires (and failings) as everyone else. And if this secret is ever exposed -- that would be the end of Park Dong Hoon as everyone knows him.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

@justamom, or anyone who can read Korean, can you translate the parts that compare Mr. Sunshine and My Ajusshi?

http://sports.chosun.com/news/news.htm?id=201807100100077670005995&ServiceDate=20180709

So obviously I am still here. :lol:  Seriously hoping to not be the only one.

58 minutes ago, justamom said:

There's one more layer of meaning to this: he's terrified by his love for Ji An. To his brothers he's always been the morally upright one able to resist all temptation, although he says more than once it wasn't because of his morals, its because he wasn't sufficiently tempted. His love for Ji An terrifies him because he realises it would completely rip him apart and expose his inner secret: that his life has been pathetic, his marriage miserable, and that inside he has the very same human desires (and failings) as everyone else. And if this secret is ever exposed -- that would be the end of Park Dong Hoon as everyone knows him.

Thank you; I really enjoyed your analysis.  I don't think I will ever get tired of reading about Dong Hoon and his repressed feelings.

Edited by Jillia
Please do not post consecutively, edit you previous post instead. Thanks! :)
  • Like 7

I felt super indignant reading this.

TVN's new drama was wrapped up in debate and worries before its release. Kim Eun Suk's writing skills, Lee Eum Beok's production skills, and the actors' acting abilities are all well know but the question was whether the large age gap would become an obstacle. The age gap between Kim Tae Ri and Lee Byeong Heon is twenty years. It was a natural concern following My Ahjussi, which was embroiled in controversy from shooting and even during its release. While Lee Seon Gyun and IU are eighteen years apart, they portrayed an Ahjussi and not yet of age female with an age gap of twenty four years which stirred debate.

Mister Sunshine experienced the same debate. While the actors are twenty years apart in age and twelve years apart onscreen, it is impossible to hide the large age difference. Leaving their actual age gap aside, their onscreen age gap is also a problem, with some viewers expressing discontent. Facing the many questions before filming about their age gap, Kim Tae Ri and Lee Byeong Heon were obviously uncomfortable. But the difference with My Ahjussi was the circumstances and historical period in the show. My Ahjussi, which depicts our modern reality, and Mr Sunshine, which depicts the end of old Korea also became a point of comparison.

Before its release, Lee Byung Heon and Kim Tae Ri also acknowledged views on their age gap. At the production press conference, they also answered such questions. But rather than answering the questions directly they instead commented on each others' acting, both saying that they felt no such age gap, and thus the show began its broadcast, not completely quelling the controversy.

Mr Sunshine began airing with these concerns, but viewers' response has instead been explosive. Because the level of tension and emotional connection between Lee Byeong Heon and Kim Tae Ri has been shown to be on a different level from other dramas. Rather then creating more debate, their tangles gazes and dialogue received much praise, naturally creating much interest in the circumstances of that era and the motivations of the characters going forward.

Mister Sunshine's debut has surpassed Goblin, with episode 2 clearly garnering higher ratings than episode 1, writing a new tale. Cable ratings averaged 9.7% with a peak of 10.8%, showing great momentum. Amongst tvN's target audience of male/females in their 20s-40s, it reached an average of 6% and a high of 7%, showing an upward trend. And amongst all channels, it's the number one drama in its time slot, proving that it's a drama with great momentum.

---

I call hypocrisy, discrimination, injustice!

I haven't watched Mr Sunshine (planning to wait a bit) but I do love Kim Tae Ri.

But I find it very strange that the same morals/values don't apply as long as its not happening in our time period, in the world that we know.

I had a chat with the hubby about this. He said of course, in the past child brides and polygamy and men taking in much younger concubines was normal, especially during our grandparents generation. So we can suspend our moral judgement in historical dramas, because this was the social norm then. But it's not accepted today so of course once you change the time period, people's moral mores would be offended.

I feel seriously conflicted about the My Ahjussi controversy. On one hand women are more empowered and yet, we are unable to appreciate a work of art that explores the problems of middle-aged men. We are still susceptible to our own internal gender biases and moral judgement, rather than being able to appreciate a work of art for what it is (and MA is without doubt a work of art). Does it mean we have progressed as a society or not? (although really, this is a question for Koreans, not outsiders like us to answer)

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 3

@chaghada posted 

the public reaction to pbg's new drama compared to my ahjussi is... quite baffling. older woman x younger man romance is warmly supported but older man x younger woman non-romance plot is not ok because it's gross? smh”

Responding to the following news

https://twitter.com/kdrama_news/status/1016097634568712192

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, justamom said:

I had a chat with the hubby about this. He said of course, in the past child brides and polygamy and men taking in much younger concubines was normal, especially during our grandparents generation. So we can suspend our moral judgement in historical dramas, because this was the social norm then. But it's not accepted today so of course once you change the time period, people's moral mores would be offended.

I feel seriously conflicted about the My Ahjussi controversy. On one hand women are more empowered and yet, we are unable to appreciate a work of art that explores the problems of middle-aged men. We are still susceptible to our own internal gender biases and moral judgement, rather than being able to appreciate a work of art for what it is (and MA is without doubt a work of art). Does it mean we have progressed as a society or not? (although really, this is a question for Koreans, not outsiders like us to answer)

I don't know.  This sensitivity that you talked about not long ago is still a relatively fresh thing, but I figure eventually it will calm down and find a new comfortable place. It's just too bad our show happened at the height of it. :( I don't know if you saw my earlier post about the show addressing this issue, so here it is in case you didn't:

In episode 7, Dong Hoon comes home from crashing JY and chairman's camping trip.  Yoon Hee tells him that Ji Seok needs him to send over a recording of DH performing a special skill, and she suggests magic trick.  The next scene we see him and his brothers talking about this.

AzPsamO8WY_1R59RluLdvlKwxrla4YOCCJNzH3AI0QRyMjLBkCO5XBj4UxBtImsK96TPTmf3TjAzKCi_CY3kavobiQEM5cpIgfFZoLN0HBFbPAhGqMk_3fgWsSl6P4_qTqADQ1Et

SH: Magic trick? I don't understand people who are impressed by that.  An old woman goes in, but a young woman comes out.  It's only magic if that were actually real.  They just do a little switcheroo, so how is that magic?

KH: Why do you cry when you watch TV shows then?  It's all just acting. 

SH: But they're so good at it.  I get deceived into thinking that it's real.

KH: The same goes for magic.  People fall for it because it's so convincing.

They are basically saying what you said, this is just a piece of fiction.  A beautifully told one, yes, but please just enjoy it as a work of art.

I want to piggyback @mylovelystar's post above. It seems everything else is better than a realistic story between an older man and a younger woman. Reverse gender age gap, fantasy story age gap, historical story age gap. Heck, even actors with women scandals seem to be making comeback  left and right.

• Like 7

@justamom That article pissed me off so much! Grrr...

"Not yet of age female"? Lee Ji An? :blink: You're kidding me.

I know LBH and KTR are awesome actors, so I believe that their connection has been palpable from the start. If that's what calmed down the prejudiced Korean audience, why wasn't MA perceived the same way? Our OTP had explosive chemistry from the very start!

Like you said @justamom, this is hypocrisy, discrimination, injustice!

--

Thanks for being our Miss Sunshine, @mylovelystar! You un-pissed me off with those cute little clips. ❤_❤

• Like 7