[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

I was watching episode 8, the part where they were celebrating the mother’s birthday, and I found the brief video call with Ji-Seok insightful.

Below is an excerpt of family’s convo with Ji-Seok (after he greets his grandma, said Hi to his mom, and asked his dad about the homework)

Ji-Seok (to Sang-Hoon): Uncle! Don’t be too lonely. I’m sure you’ll find a good woman.

(he soon finds out the aunt is there and so he said sorry)

DH: I heard that you have a girlfriend. Do you like her a lot?

JS: Of course I do.

DH: Oh I see. More than mom?

JS: Come on, Dad.

DH: All right. Is she pretty, or nice? Choose just one. Is she pretty or nice?

JS: She’s nice.

Dong-Hoon: Wow, he must really like her.

JS: What about Mom, then? Is she nice or pretty? Choose just one.

SH: Hey, you have to be sure to choose the correct answer. It’s different when you’re talking to married couples.

JS: Hurry up! Is she nice, or pretty?

DH: Mom (4-second pause)…..is amazing.

SH/KH: Hey come on now, wow. Wow, I can’t believe this.

Sang-Hoon: Yeah, if someone is nice and pretty, then they’re amazing. Yep.

[The next scene immediately after this is when they just finished eating and were about to cut the birthday cake]

My takeaways:

1.       Based from this conversation, I can see that Ji-Seok is a mature kid. He knows the reality that there are couples who separate and that it’s okay to move on and find someone else (based on what he said to his uncle, though it may have been half-jokingly). He also judges and likes people for their personality and not merely for their outward appearance (based on how he described his ‘gf’). I wonder if this conversation is meant to signify that JS would also be cool, in the event that his parents separate, and his Dad finding someone who is not only pretty but also nice, someone who can lift/has lifted DH from his loneliness.

2.       On DH saying that YH is amazing. At this point, he already knows about her affair, so I don’t know which part of YH he still sees as amazing. Since JS also asked him to choose just one, had DH answered ‘pretty’, he risked being perceived as loving her superficially only. If he answered ‘nice’, well just like what DH said to his son, he must still really like YH. Which at that time, even prior to learning about the affair, I don’t think he does. I think ‘amazing’ was a safe answer, and I’m ok with him not offering an explanation about it because I don’t think he even has.

3.       On Sang-Hoon.  SH thinks that DH’s answer ‘amazing’ = ‘pretty and nice’. My answer is no. Because if that’s how DH feels, why didn’t he just say both. Or why didn’t he just answer ‘pretty’, if he’s too shy to admit he really likes his wife by saying ‘nice’. If a couple is truly comfortable with each other, I don’t think a wife would mind hearing the answer ‘pretty’ instead of ‘nice'. She’d be glad her husband still thinks she’s pretty/ appreciate her looks despite being in her 40s, or given the fact that her husband probably gets to interact with much younger and prettier girls at work. I remember DH mom saying, I forgot which ep, that once women reach their 50s, they don’t like looking at themselves in the mirror anymore.       

It sometimes ticks me off whenever Sang-Hoon speaks/decides for DH, and how he always gets it wrong. He told DH to stay at the company for a long time for the sake of their mom’s funeral, not knowing how much unhappiness DH derives from that place. Upon learning about the affair, he told DH to forgive YH, to comfort her, to survive and endure the whole thing, not knowing that DH feels extremely sad about that too. SH even told YH: “The fact that my younger bro didn’t tell anyone about this (affair) and the fact that he was suffering all by himself makes me so sad. But that means that DH loves you that much.” Cue YH and DH in ep 12 flashbacks- YH: “You’re not trying to keep this marriage together because of your love for me. Are you? (coz of mom and JS)” DH: “I don’t want to make you miserable just to make it easier for me. I just don’t how to end this relationship that we’ve maintained for 20 years.”

No wonder (and quite telling) in episode 15, when Sang-Hoon and Ki-Hoon saw JA at JH’s bar and both rushed to call DH, it was KH who got connected to DH first. After all, KH is the one more perceptive of DH’s feelings (as many of you have pointed out already).  

4.       Interestingly, throughout this PRETTY and NICE conversation (from the point DH asked his son if he has a gf, up to the point SH interpreted what DH meant by amazing), we never saw their reaction, all we get to see is Ji-an. As usual, listening on everything that was transpiring, while on her part-time job.

pret1.jpg   pret2.jpg

pret3.jpg  pret4.jpg

pret5.jpg   pret6.jpg

pret7.jpg   pret8.jpg

I don't think it was random, the reason we only see Ji-An, is because as per DH in the prior episodes, who again is both pretty and nice?

[Episode 5]

image.jpg   image.jpg

[Episode 7]

image.jpg  image.jpg

image.jpg

Me: wow, he must really like her. :rolleyes::D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

No matter how much I try to move on from this drama, I just can't. I hate to admit it but I don't think I'm suffering from withdrawal, because fact is, I'm still very much addicted to it LOL. :expressionless:

I've finally managed to start another drama (My Horrible Boss a.k.a. Ms. Temper and Nam Jung Gi), it's light and funny, female lead is strong just like JA, whereas the male lead is uptight and a bit like DH in other aspects. I only started recently and only watch an episode a day. [coz MA still very much owns me XD]    

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

On 6/1/2018 at 1:17 PM, ann04 said:

What do you guys think about Ji-An liking DH? She’s said it a lot in the show, others even said it - Joon Young, Jung Hee, Yoon Hee. Do you think she’s meant it in a platonic way? Like just genuinely liking a person for who they are. 

Although by the end, I think JA’s feelings developed romantically - seeing the way he was looking at DH.

I think she knows what it is to like someone in a non-platonic way. She’s very insightful and intelligent. She saw that KI liked her and that he was torn up about it. She admitted to YH that she was envious and jealous of her. Also, she would wander around at night for just a glimpse of DH and run to him desperately when he just wanted a drink with her.

She definitely started liking him first when he was the first one to move her to tears. When he defended his brother and said if you were to humiliate me in front of my family, I could possibly kill you, she realized, here is someone who might understand my actions, my greatest shame of murdering someone for my family. Then she got teary-eyed again when he said there is someone who understands me and I understand her, and I’m sad that someone understands me. She feels exactly the same way. She had a full-on breakdown when he straight up said he would have murdered him too, that he would murder anyone who hurt his family. Not only does he understand her, he absolved her of all her guilt. He set her spirit free. 

She was willing to risk going to jail for him by erasing the parts of the wiretapping having to do with the affair. She would rather keep running forever or risk jail time just so he could avoid humiliation. She would break herself into pieces to protect him. That is love.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

I just finished my rewatch, and... What can I say? This drama is magic.

Anyway... I wonder about the translation of what Ki Hoon starts writing in the last episode: "They are at the Grand Canyon."  What on earth could that mean? I'm sure there must be a mistake. Isn't "Grand Canyon" the nickname of Yoo Ra, a.k.a. Dorky Actress?

OK. Tomorrow, I shall have a look at Yoona's Street...

• Like 8

11 hours ago, anipanch said:

not really :D they watch with subs, like the majority of international fans

@anipanch said not really Russian watch with subs, like the majority of international fans...

Bet it warms those Russian fans up at night too!.... Long winter is in Russia... My Mister is better than Vodka!

Who knows they may start drinking Soju instead!!!

@mushroomsoupie and @kdramafanlsk was talking about moon and hoon rhymes together.  so LJE/LJA song actually said:

1st verse (JA -> DH)

Dear Hoon my moon
Why can’t I get closer to you?
Though I trail behind you with quick steps
You’re like the moon that I can’t reach

Oh moon like Hoon
Why is it that you don’t disappear?
Though I try to turn around and run away
You’re like the moon that follows me

You

Could it be fate?
The moment our eyes met
I thought I heard you talk to me
with your low voice

I replied you

A hesitant answer
Vaguely over there where you are
I said I think I understand why now

2nd verse (DH -> JA)
Oh moon
My moon

It’s not like I don’t want to hug you
But I know you’re much too large for me
to hold in my arms

Oh moon
My moon

It’s not like I don’t want to have you
But it’s because you’re so dazzling to me
And I am such a dark night

Could it be fate?
On your pale face
I think I saw a shadowy smudge
that doesn’t suit you
Waving my hands at you
Signalling you to come over
I said there’s a loner here
who’s very much like you
that won’t disappear

3rd verse (JA)
My only Hoon
Just as it’s unreachable
Deep into the night
The silence of the white moonlight
I’ll stay awake tonight as well

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

7 hours ago, kdramafanlsk said:

It is a huge departure from a drama so I dont have to evaluate it based on MA standards

17 hours ago, chickfactor said:

- Bap-Noona - I watched the 1st 4 episodes or so, and I liked it. But then I read some reviews that the second half is terrible? So... pass.

This is from the Dramabeans recap of the final episodes:

COMMENTS

You know what? I’m so relieved this show is over right now. That unnecessarily bloated, navel-gazing finale was just exhausting, and directorially self-indulgent to the point that I’ve decided never to watch another Ahn Pan-seok drama.

Yikes.

- Come and Hug Me - Starring the actor who played Kwang-Il! And Jae-Chul is also in it!

This one is actually pretty good, it's the best thing I'm watching right now. Normally I avoid shows like this, about serial killers - I just don't love this genre that much. But the storyline is interesting enough and the actors are all doing great.

@kdramafanlsk HAHA!  The husband and I have been trying new shows and I keep criticising so much that even he gets turned off. Maybe a variety show would help me snap out of this, because I need to, pronto! I have been neglecting real life for too long!

@chickfactor yes oddly enough Come and Hug Me is the most tempting of the bunch! It's got actors I loved from two of my favourite dramas so far this year, Misty and My Ahjussi! And they are such a gorgeous lead couple.

I tried Children of the Lesser Gods (too much paranormal, not for me), and Suits (OMG such weak characterisation) and couldn't finish the first episodes. I also watched the first four of Bap Noona and couldn't continue which is odd for me because I loved every other one of Ahn Pan Seok's dramas! I am glad he finally found mainstream success, but I really thought his other shows were much better. Is it the show or has Kim Won Suk changed the way I look at dramas, forever and ever?

7 hours ago, anipanch said:

"This is the best thing I have ever watch in my entire life! A masterpiece with capital letters! A big respect to the writer, director and the actors! As for IU, she just grew in my eyes as an actress so much"

@anipanch This is such high praise coming from Russia, which to me is the home of classic modern literature and some of the finest story tellers that have ever lived! Is K drama widely watched there?

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Sakari said:

I just finished my rewatch, and... What can I say? This drama is magic.

Anyway... I wonder about the translation of what Ki Hoon starts writing in the last episode: "They are at the Grand Canyon."  What on earth could that mean? I'm sure there must be a mistake. Isn't "Grand Canyon" the nickname of Yoo Ra, a.k.a. Dorky Actress?

OK. Tomorrow, I shall have a look at Yoona's Street...

@Sakari  great choice is Yoona's street.  very lay back story.  Lots of running too!...although no heavy breathing!  There is even a spider man climbing scene up a 3 story building by a girl with a back pack!  Plus these people like scissors! @h2ogirl

@Sakari also said "My rewatch has progressed to E13. Regarding the oft-quoted OhmyStar article, I strongly disagree about the drama's supposed portrayal of Yoon Hee – Cheating Wife – as supremely bad (and of Dong Hoon, as supremely good.) Even before Dong Hoon learns about the adultery, there is ample evidence of the insensitive way he treats his wife, of how he essentially has given up on the marriage.

I think I have said this before... My explanation for the breakdown of their relationship is the decision to send the son off to school and the resulting emptiness of the "new" family home – which leads to Dong Hoon returning to his "old" home. But I admit, this is never spelled out in the drama. Is it just my non-Korean imagination? Does this point ever come up in the DC Inside discussion? What little Korean I know is not enough to find out for myself...::"

You are referring to the "empty nest syndrome" where middle age couple get divorced when their children move out.... up to then they endure each others for the sake of the children.... then the house is empty and each parent does his/her own thing.

• Like 6

I've been meaning to translate this great interview I found with Oh Nara. It's long and in two parts, so I'll just translate the parts I found interesting.

http://star.mk.co.kr/new/view.php?mc=ST&year=2018&no=350452

http://star.mk.co.kr/new/view.php?mc=ST&year=2018&no=350453 

The filming of My Ahjussi started off mired in controversy. "It was really discouraging. But we continued acting believing that viewers would be able to understand our hearts. We consoled each other saying we would tenaciously prove what we wanted to prove. The misunderstanding was resolved in the most beautiful way possible. There is some regret that perhaps it could have gone even better if there was not so much controversy."

There was enormous interest in Jeong Hee and Gyeon Duk's love story, with much speculation about what exactly could have happened between Jeong Hee and Gyeong Duk, to the extent that multiple theories were created. "When I asked the writer, she just said, 'he became a monk because it was his destiny.' She told me that for many monks, it is like a calling, they are pulled by their destiny'."

"For the man she loved passionately in her 20s to suddenly become a monk must have been a really huge shock for Jeong Hee. If he had died or she could no longer see him she might have moved on, but because he was still living it was impossible. I wanted to try touching Gyeon Dok just once while filming. But as much as Jeong Hee wants to hug Gyeon Dok, she can't because he's a monk, isn't it? It must have been so devastating, to be unable to even hold him."

"The description of Jeong Hee in the synopsis was very brief. Only four lines. The Girl Who Loves A Monk. When I saw that I knew I had to take up the role. As difficult as it may be, I knew I had to take on the challenge. Because there's not going to be another role like this in the next ten years. Who's going to be able to come up with such a character again?"

The second part of the interview talks about Oh Nara's background in musical theater. Apparently she's also a professor in the music department at Baek Seok Arts University! Apparently PD Kim watched her in Yong Pal, and the writer herself saw her in Yoona's Street ( @tiger457_stv @Sakari Your show!) So she said she hopes she can keep on encountering and taking on meaningful shows, because you never know who's going to see you in what.

I thought this was a great interview, one of the best! She's absolutely right. The Girl Who Loves A Monk. That's like the title of a novel! SO SO MUCH in that one line. And the thought that we might never ever come across a character like that again...makes me sad, but at the same time energised to come up with something as meaningful as her in my stories! ( @africandramalover Looking at you right there) And I am SO SO pleased with the PD team for casting solid, REAL, character actors with a background in theater, I think it made all the difference!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, kerfuffle_95 said:

I was watching episode 8, the part where they were celebrating the mother’s birthday, and I found the brief video call with Ji-Seok insightful.

My takeaways:

2.       On DH saying that YH is amazing. At this point, he already knows about her affair, so I don’t know which part of YH he still sees as amazing. Since JS also asked him to choose just one, had DH answered ‘pretty’, he risked being perceived as loving her superficially only. If he answered ‘nice’, well just like what DH said to his son, he must still really like YH. Which at that time, even prior to learning about the affair, I don’t think he does. I think ‘amazing’ was a safe answer, and I’m ok with him not offering an explanation about it because I don’t think he even has.

What he said in Korean is 훌륭해 - which the Naver dictionary translates as "excellent." It is a safe answer but also truthful. It's something you would say about someone who has accomplished a lot, which she has. So it's a fair answer, but deliberately avoids "pretty" or "nice" which are more like personal endearments, which he can't bring himself to say (understandably).

3.       On Sang-Hoon.  SH thinks that DH’s answer ‘amazing’ = ‘pretty and nice’. My answer is no. Because if that’s how DH feels, why didn’t he just say both. Or why didn’t he just answer ‘pretty’, if he’s too shy to admit he really likes his wife by saying ‘nice’. If a couple is truly comfortable with each other, I don’t think a wife would mind hearing the answer ‘pretty’ instead of ‘nice'. She’d be glad her husband still thinks she’s pretty/ appreciate her looks despite being in her 40s, or given the fact that her husband probably gets to interact with much younger and prettier girls at work. I remember DH mom saying, I forgot which ep, that once women reach their 50s, they don’t like looking at themselves in the mirror anymore.       

It sometimes ticks me off whenever Sang-Hoon speaks/decides for DH, and how he always gets it wrong. He told DH to stay at the company for a long time for the sake of their mom’s funeral, not knowing how much unhappiness DH derives from that place. Upon learning about the affair, he told DH to forgive YH, to comfort her, to survive and endure the whole thing, not knowing that DH feels extremely sad about that too. SH even told YH: “The fact that my younger bro didn’t tell anyone about this (affair) and the fact that he was suffering all by himself makes me so sad. But that means that DH loves you that much.” Cue YH and DH in ep 12 flashbacks- YH: “You’re not trying to keep this marriage together because of your love for me. Are you? (coz of mom and JS)” DH: “I don’t want to make you miserable just to make it easier for me. I just don’t how to end this relationship that we’ve maintained for 20 years.”

SH thinks that DH’s answer ‘amazing’ = ‘pretty and nice’ --> He said this to cover up for the fact that DH's response was oddly impersonal - and he wanted to make it sound better for Ji-Seok's sake. At this juncture, DH knows about YH's affair, but the brothers do not.

Anyway, what Sang-Hoon did here is actually very sensitive and kind. So I want to defend Sang-Hoon.

One thing that is implicit, but never explicitly mentioned is about the brothers' father. They mention him twice (that I recall). DH talks about him in Ep.1 when he is laughing in the office about the biggest thing that they've killed (after Ji-An kills the ladybug), and he says that the three brothers held down a pig as his father chopped its head off.

The next time he talks about this is that his father would tell him, "It doesn't matter" to comfort him, but that no one is there to tell him that now.

So my point is that their father has probably passed away, and has left behind a huge void, but they never speak of it explicitly.

This is probably why the three brothers are so close, and why DH is unwilling to move away from their mother.

In Korea (as in many other societies, I'm sure), the "head of the household" role is a really big deal, and it is their duty to do whatever it takes to protect their family.

This is partly why Sang-Hoon is so down on himself. After their father's death, he is the de facto "head" of this household, but he failed at this when he was laid off, and when the two businesses he opened with his severance pay failed, too.

This is why he *needs* DH to keep his job at a "big company." He knows what it's like to try and open your own business and fail (twice), so it scares him, and at least one of the brothers needs to have that stability to protect their mother. Although it seems unfair that he is telling DH that he has to remain at a job that's making him miserable, it is the "head of the household's" DUTY to try and think of what is best for the family.

I also see Sang-Hoon fulfilling this role when he counsels DH to try and stay with his wife, and even apologizes to YH. First, it's better in terms of social order that a marriage stay intact if possible, especially in Korea where the social stigma of divorce is still quite strong. He's obviously not going to force them to stay together if they want to divorce, but it's his actual job to at least pay lip service to the idea that they should work it out, if possible.

Also, Sang-Hoon is taking the responsibility upon himself. He is saying that YH cheated because HE failed at his role at being a proper "head of household" so he doesn't blame YH for straying from their marriage - i.e., he doesn't blame YH for being dissatisfied with THE FAMILY and looking elsewhere, because he failed to protect it.

So I don't blame SH. He comes off as a silly person, but he actually feels the great responsibility on his shoulders of being the "head" of this family, and I can see that.

In contrast, Ki-Hoon is the "maknae," so he gets to pursue his artistic dreams and apparently be quite self-indulgent about it. He also doesn't have a wife or child, so he's able to refuse a job and punch people in the face because they don't like his script.

Sang-Hoon never had the luxury to be that way because he became responsible for his family the moment their father died. So I will cut him some slack here.

--

Edited to add: more on this theme of Sang-Hoon is the "head of household" - that he helped Ji-An's grandmother have a grand funeral is exactly the sort of thing that a head of household would do... for his family member.

He's a goofball, but he steps up when it counts.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, justamom said:

I've been meaning to translate this great interview I found with Oh Nara. It's long and in two parts, so I'll just translate the parts I found interesting.

The filming of My Ahjussi started off mired in controversy. "It was really discouraging. But we continued acting believing that viewers would be able to understand our hearts. We consoled each other saying we would tenaciously prove what we wanted to prove. The misunderstanding was resolved in the most beautiful way possible. There is some regret that perhaps it could have gone even better if there was not so much controversy."

There was enormous interest in Jeong Hee and Gyeon Duk's love story, with much speculation about what exactly could have happened between Jeong Hee and Gyeong Duk, to the extent that multiple theories were created. "When I asked the writer, she just said, 'he became a monk because it was his destiny.' She told me that for many monks, it is like a calling, they are pulled by their destiny'."

"For the man she loved passionately in her 20s to suddenly become a monk must have been a really huge shock for Jeong Hee. If he had died or she could no longer see him she might have moved on, but because he was still living it was impossible. I wanted to try touching Gyeon Dok just once while filming. But as much as Jeong Hee wants to hug Gyeon Dok, she can't because he's a monk, isn't it? It must have been so devastating, to be unable to even hold him."

"The description of Jeong Hee in the synopsis was very brief. Only four lines. The Girl Who Loves A Monk. When I saw that I knew I had to take up the role. As difficult as it may be, I knew I had to take on the challenge. Because there's not going to be another role like this in the next ten years. Who's going to be able to come up with such a character again?"

The second part of the interview talks about Oh Nara's background in musical theater. Apparently she's also a professor in the music department at Baek Seok Arts University! Apparently PD Kim watched her in Yong Pal, and the writer herself saw her in Yoona's Street ( @tiger457_stv @Sakari Your show!) So she said she hopes she can keep on encountering and taking on meaningful shows, because you never know who's going to see you in what.

I thought this was a great interview, one of the best! She's absolutely right. The Girl Who Loves A Monk. That's like the title of a novel! SO SO MUCH in that one line. And the thought that we might never ever come across a character like that again...makes me sad, but at the same time energised to come up with something as meaningful as her in my stories! ( @africandramalover Looking at you right there) And I am SO SO pleased with the PD team for casting solid, REAL, character actors with a background in theater, I think it made all the difference!

Thank you for translating.  Echoing your sentiment about the director using actors with background in theater.  Lee Seon Kyun, Park Ho San, Song Sae Byeok, Oh Nara all had such background and what a powerful combination of talents.  And just like us viewers, I guess the cast also have lingering thoughts of how much better the show could have been if they were able to tell their story without having to walk on eggshells.

Edited to add: Even IU has background "on stage." :D

• Like 6

11 hours ago, nearsea said:

I hope Netflix buys this drama sometime in future. At least they have paid subbers and better ones than dramafever, so the original message won't be lost in the transition. 

Seriously Netflix should pick up My Ajusshi,  I should probably bother them now and make a request. I am really enjoying Hyori BnB season 1 right now because JTBC happened to have a good relationship with Netflix.  Plus the picture quality is just way better when Netflix does digital streaming at 1080p so I can clearly gawk at the sexy chemistry of LJE and LSG :D like its nobody's business. 

11 hours ago, kdramafanlsk said:

And seriously, the translation of last scene was an epic fail. :lol: I wish I could sue for the emotional distress I felt when I read reference to "wife" in that scene in coffee shop. :lol::lol::lol:that alone brought me to soompi :lol: i was so glad someone explained the change in terminologies used to refer to YH. 

If tvn will correct the subs in their release, it will be another reason to buy it despite the cost. I am just wondering if an english version of the script is too farfetched to hope for? Id really love to get hold of the script or even just the sequence treatment with director/writer's notes on how to execute the scene (but I can only read it if it is translated to english).

I am always grateful for Soompi and everyone of the Korean speaking posters here for clarifying some things for us. It really made such a big difference in my understanding of the ending. The Dramafever translation is just crap:wacko:. I am hoping the official TVN       Blu ray release will have a correct english translation of the ending the same way that the TVN Malaysia had a correct translation. Yes TVN Malaysia please release your Blu ray version , I will be happy to buy it any day. 

Viki should have fought hard for the streaming rights of My Ajusshi. I am subscriber of Viki for years and I can't believe this streaming company is sleeping on Kim Won Suk quality dramas:angry:

6 hours ago, fauna said:

I think she knows what it is to like someone in a non-platonic way. She’s very insightful and intelligent. She saw that KI liked her and that he was torn up about it. She admitted to YH that she was envious and jealous of her. Also, she would wander around at night for just a glimpse of DH and run to him desperately when he just wanted a drink with her.

She definitely started liking him first when he was the first one to move her to tears. When he defended his brother and said if you were to humiliate me in front of my family, I could possibly kill you, she realized, here is someone who might understand my actions, my greatest shame of murdering someone for my family. Then she got teary-eyed again when he said there is someone who understands me and I understand her, and I’m sad that someone understands me. She feels exactly the same way. She had a full-on breakdown when he straight up said he would have murdered him too, that he would murder anyone who hurt his family. Not only does he understand her, he absolved her of all her guilt. He set her spirit free. 

She was willing to risk going to jail for him by erasing the parts of the wiretapping having to do with the affair. She would rather keep running forever or risk jail time just so he could avoid humiliation. She would break herself into pieces to protect him. That is love.

Episode 9 was the turning point for Jian when the line was crossed from a simple admiration to her falling in love with DH.  Again, I don't understand the brother-sister assumptions, platonic, or hero worship type of theories behind Jian's feelings. The woman is clear  since episodes 10-16 from her multiple love confessions. Then we have episode 15 where Jian practically called YH a big beeyoch and was envious because she have DH as a husband. After rewatching episode 15, Jian using the word "envy"  on that scene equates to the intensity of her feelings towards DH, more like a  possessive nature and desire of her heart. There is a big difference between jealousy and envy.

In my opinion, the more acceptable theory about Jian's feelings that it could be unrequited just like what the Russian viewers were saying. I could accept that argument because DH never really admitted his feelings verbally but at the same time he didn't have to do it.  YH despite being a self centered character already knew that finding Jian was so important for DH's sanity. Everything was falling apart in their marriage but DH never cared instead he was fixated on finding Jian. Even more troubling on episode 15, YH didn't seem to care and question about DH's "over the top" caring behavior towards Jian. I think YH didn't need to ask the questions because the answers were already showing in his actions.  No wonder the one thing she asked for was that "beer" right after criminal case was resolved. YH is also a smart perceptive woman and likely knows beforehand that Jian will be leaving DH and head to Busan for another job. She clearly does not have anymore patience to stick around and watch DH silently pine for Jian everyday. No woman in her right mind wants to stay in that marriage and experience that type of torture.

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Thank you for translating.  Echoing your sentiment about the director using actors with background in theater.  Lee Seon Kyun, Park Ho San, Song Sae Byeok, Oh Nara all had such background and what a powerful combination of talents.  And just like us viewers, I guess the cast also have lingering thoughts of how much better the show could have been if they were able to tell their story without having to walk on eggshells.

Yeah, I am bummed about the controversy, but I have actually seen a Korean drama buried (Valid Love) because of controversy, so it is what it is. For what it's worth, I thought they handled it really well훌륭해! (Excellent!)

First thing I give this show's team kudos for is that they were confident about their storytelling. They began with a press conference saying, "Hey, it's not a love story, it's a healing drama!" And they seemed to know that the audience would be convinced by the end, that these two *needed* to be together. And I think they successfully convinced enough people, but also left room for the skeptics, too, to enjoy the show on their own terms. Rather brilliant, I say.

I don't really know what to say about netizens who believe it's their job to police TV shows, because without them society would collapse, I guess? It's... a bit to intense for me, and this is why I'm happy to usually just tune it out and pretend it doesn't exist. But yeah... it's sad.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

@Sakari  great choice is Yoona's street.  very lay back story.  Lots of running too!...although no heavy breathing!  There is even a spider man climbing scene up a 3 story building by a girl with a back pack!  Plus these people like scissors! @h2ogirl

@Sakari also said "My rewatch has progressed to E13. Regarding the oft-quoted OhmyStar article, I strongly disagree about the drama's supposed portrayal of Yoon Hee – Cheating Wife – as supremely bad (and of Dong Hoon, as supremely good.) Even before Dong Hoon learns about the adultery, there is ample evidence of the insensitive way he treats his wife, of how he essentially has given up on the marriage.

I think I have said this before... My explanation for the breakdown of their relationship is the decision to send the son off to school and the resulting emptiness of the "new" family home – which leads to Dong Hoon returning to his "old" home. But I admit, this is never spelled out in the drama. Is it just my non-Korean imagination? Does this point ever come up in the DC Inside discussion? What little Korean I know is not enough to find out for myself...::"

You are referring to the "empty nest syndrome" where middle age couple get divorced when their children move out.... up to then they endure each others for the sake of the children.... then the house is empty and each parent does his/her own thing.

@tiger457_stv I’ve been meaning to touch on this particular aspect of their marriage because I’ve read a lot of comments about how Ji Seok’s leaving might have caused the breakdown.  I don’t see it as being the reason but more of a lynchpin.  There was already something wrong with their relationship at the onset, an internal weakness (if we will use Dong Hoon’s engineering terminologies) that wasn’t reinforced.  Ji Seok’s leaving was the trigger that further weakened the structure of their marriage.  

Many times in a marriage, the parents’ common love for their children mask whatever issues they may have with each other.  Oftentimes, the partners agree to compromise, to set aside differences for the sake of the children.  That’s why as you said, once the children leave and there’s just the two of them, the masks drop and they’re left with the reality of a marriage that has long since disintegrated.  Some separate but others, especially those from conservative cultures, stay together for the sake of appearances or because the devil they know is better than the devil they don’t know.  And they’re already too old for a radical change.

In the case of Dong Hoon and Yoon Hee, the “empty nest” syndrome just set in a lot earlier coz they sent their son away.  

• Like 10

I was also wondering about that... why their son was made to study overseas so early.

I mean i understand the quality of education they are after or for him to learn English, for him to be independent? or learn the western culture/way of life.   But why at a very young age? he's practically still a baby.. still in his formative years, when the parents' presence is most important?? shouldn't they have waited until he was already in High School or College?

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, berny said:

I was also wondering about that... why their son was made to study overseas so early.

I mean i understand the quality of education they are after or for him to learn English, for him to be independent? or learn the western culture/way of life.   But why at a very young age? he's practically still a baby.. still in his formative years, when the parents' presence is most important?? shouldn't they have waited until he was already in High School or College?

At first i thought it was just a plot device, but this situation actually happens a lot in SK.

"Such relocations, known as early study abroad, have surged in popularity in South Korea, where a rigid, test-driven education system, combined with intense social pressure to succeed in an English-first global economy, often means breaking up families for the sake of school.

Unlike American students who usually wait until high school or college to study abroad -- and generally limit the experience to a semester or two -- 77 percent of Korean students in the U.S. in 2009 were in elementary or middle school, a time when they are seen as best able to learn English."

you can read more here http://archive.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2012/04/01/in_south_korea_us_education_means_split_families/

I feel like the one that pushes their son to study abroad the most is Yoon Hee, as we could see in the series that she's portrayed as ambitious and career-driven. 

• Like 11

On 6/3/2018 at 5:55 AM, africandramalover said:

At the beginning of Ep8, DH and JA are drinking and the howling wind starts blowing down the door of the bar. If I'm not mistaken, this is the bar owner who is also divorced. Wind/breeze in Korean uses the same word as affair... param. 

The three of them go out to check the stress measuring equipment that DH had put a while back. DH looks at a gadget on the wall that's tracking a crack.

DH: it's the same.

Bar owner:that's weird.

they go over to the plumb line which is spinning.

DH: this part is just as it was. It hasn't gotten any worse.

Bar owner: really? That's so weird. Honestly,  it looks like it's leaning a bit more this way now.

DH: seeing how there aren't issues with the frame, it must be an internal problem. But it could stabilise later, so I'll keep an eye on it.

Bar owner: but why is it that buildings nowadays always have issues?

this is right after JA makes YH listen to the recording of what JY really thinks of her and the affair. (YH then goes to the campsite and doesn't find JY who'd said that they couldn't meet up because he was there.)

The conversation was definitely put there as a mirror of their dead marriages. When the bar owner says that the already cracking building is leaning a bit more; that's DH, leaning more now from the additional strain that the revelation of the affair has caused.  The building is the marriage and the cracks can be the affairs their wives had.

The internal problem DH talks about must be his internal strength... his overwhelming stress that is also causing "cracks" in his "building", what with his breathing and draggy walking. He's not a "fit structure" due to these problems straining him. 

So I've started my rewatch as well. And after reading what @rellea shared from DC Inside and @africandramalover's post above I couldn't help noticing the significance of another incident in Episode 1:

(I don't know how to do gifs so we'll just have to be content with my descriptions)

The safety inspection team needs to check the water tower. But it's too cold: the drone won't work.

Dong Hoon starts climbing the tower. It's cold, icy and dangerous. One slip -- the only thing holding him to the ladder is a carabiner hook.

He measures the crack. Then he takes out the scanner (it's called a Ferro scanner, I checked! Or concrete reinforcement detector. It checks the size and depth of steel bars in concrete).

He scans it once. He scans it twice.

And then it slips out of his hand.

We see the scanner fall in slow motion. Everyone's faces agape.

A loud crash as the scanner hits the ground at top speed.

The impact breaks the scanner completely, wires, nuts, bolts all flying into the air.

If the tower is Dong Hoon's life/marriage, what does this mean? He's completely lost his ability to assess the cracks/flaws in his life! He's unable to look clearly at himself, his life, and his marriage anymore, because his scanner has completely broken apart.

I just thought this was amazing use of symbolism and foreshadowing. On my first watch I had no idea, just a foreboding sense from seeing something come crashing from so high up and breaking into pieces.

@sadiesmith when I first read your post I thought epilogue? What epilogue? OMG I missed that whole conversation about the Ahjussi Village the first time!! Thanks!!

And Ki Hoon says, "the b***** who get a woman and leave will be killed." Ha ha!

• Like 11

And so i have been reading some random blogs about couple relationships... to past away the time.
Some have happy stories, some not... some mind-boggling.

But one couple "profile" who both partners have a hard time letting go (when they were breaking up) left me stunned...Hahhha

because strangely, it seems to remind me of the DH-JA dynamics..

Spoiler

Profile of A & B

YOU HAVE THE MOST  INTENSE ,LIFE CHANGING RELATIONSHIP 

Clearly what you have is karmic, the most life changing relationship that you will experience, and this  kind of relationship, even if not brought to a physical level, will leave a mark on you for the rest of your life.

From intense desire, obsession, acting completely out of the norm, something is triggered by each of you and  you  are never the same again.
The bond is felt like something beyond your control, and, especially in the beginning of the relationship, this might be frightening.

First, you feel this unspeakable attraction towards the person in front of you and you’re drawn to that person like a moth to flame. You surrender. And start interacting, talking and, from the first words, you feel like there was something meant to be. Things usually evolve very fast and, before you even realize what’s happening to you, you wake up one morning with an obsessive, compulsive and oh, so incredibly beautiful and intense relationship. You feel the depth of what’s lying in front of you and, scared, you try to run....but alas, it’s not possible. It really isn’t. You’re stuck.

With growing awareness... there’s a feeling of intensity in the air  bringing intense feelings and issues right up to the surface but not quite through it. There’s a lot of unconscious behavior...  you feel and sense this  but can’t articulate it, much less direct or utilize it. 

Still you were not able to resist...cannot resist...for your connection cannot be avoided. It was meant to be lived, consumed down to your last living cell.  The need to be with one another is simply irrepressible.

Your innermost psyche is going to be laid bare... all secrets and the subconscious will be pried open.  Like how the most hidden feelings and obsessions could be coming to light for the very first time.  Like you never thought you are capable of feeling.

Usually when these kind of relationships end, it might be very hard for you to be just friends, and sometimes these relationships ten years down the line can still bond the two of you and just the thought of that relationship can trigger an emotional response so intensely.

A helps B change , like a powerful transformation. A have triggered buttons in B he may have never thought were there and purge out things that have been hiding deep inside him.

The arguments in these kind of relationships can make one literally feel like they will die or breakdown is the relationship should end. It is as if they cannot live without the other person. One can get so fearful that one argument can be the end of the relationship.

This strong emotional reaction can be new, this can really happen to anyone, even to the calmest and to the sweetest....explosions galore like a volcano can happen over and over again to the person who is being triggered and transformed.

Even the nicest of people, all of a sudden can display the most aggravated and frustrated emotions from this awakening when their buttons are pushed by their partner. They can go their entire life not reacting that way in relationships, but then someone with a powerful connection to them comes along and literally reveals like a mirror the shadow self of the other person, the side that we keep hidden!  Dark energies that need to be transformed, things we bury and suppress. We deny our dark side our desires, and this person comes along and pow! 
The energies aroused are almost uncontainable.

(hahhhahaha...whatever :tongue:

A brings it out in B and force him to deal with it.  It can be a painful process but these relationships can be very healing for both.

This can work if the other person is ready to recognise their weaknesses and work on them. 
A relationship that cannot be taken lightly, and the passion and union will be very hard to forget.

Oh wow... so who pushes the button of whom... hahhaa
Well they both definitely pushed my buttons...:tongue:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, justamom said:

@justamom No wonder.  You could really see the difference in their skills compared to the stars in other more popular dramas.  Jung Hee would have been a forgettable secondary character in the hands of a lesser-skilled actress but Oh Na Ra made her so interesting and three-dimensional despite the fact that her screen time wasn’t as much.  She really imbued her character with so much pathos. 

All of them actually acted with such subtlety and nuance that every emotion, every action, looked so natural.  And you never had the feeling that anyone was trying to overwhelm the others in terms of acting.  And you could see how they allowed the younger, less-experienced actors like LJE and Jang Ki Young to shine.  I’m sure these veterans gave them tips and coached them a lot.  And of course, when you’re with highly-skilled people,  their talent and passion just rubs off on you. 

And she said that the drama would have been better if there hadn’t been any controversy.  My goodness. As it is now, it’s already an excellent drama. How much better could they have possible made it? More exposition on the story of Gyeom Deok and Jung Hee?  More on the background story of Ji An, Ki Beom and Kwang Il?  A more passionate telling of Dong Hoon and Ji An’s relationship?  Maybe we would have gotten a kiss and not just a hug.  Perhaps if they hadn’t compromised a bit, they would probably have left us shell-shocked and traumatized by the end of the drama.  Our hearts would have been totally shattered. :o

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, justamom said:

So I've started my rewatch as well. And after reading what @rellea shared from DC Inside and @africandramalover's post above I couldn't help noticing the significance of another incident in Episode 1:

(I don't know how to do gifs so we'll just have to be content with my descriptions)

The safety inspection team needs to check the water tower. But it's too cold: the drone won't work.

Dong Hoon starts climbing the tower. It's cold, icy and dangerous. One slip -- the only thing holding him to the ladder is a carabiner hook.

He measures the crack. Then he takes out the scanner (it's called a Ferro scanner, I checked! Or concrete reinforcement detector. It checks the size and depth of steel bars in concrete).

He scans it once. He scans it twice.

And then it slips out of his hand.

We see the scanner fall in slow motion. Everyone's faces agape.

A loud crash as the scanner hits the ground at top speed.

The impact breaks the scanner completely, wires, nuts, bolts all flying into the air.

If the tower is Dong Hoon's life/marriage, what does this mean? He's completely lost his ability to assess the cracks/flaws in his life! He's unable to look clearly at himself, his life, and his marriage anymore, because his scanner has completely broken apart.

I just thought this was amazing use of symbolism and foreshadowing. On my first watch I had no idea, just a foreboding sense from seeing something come crashing from so high up and breaking into pieces.

@sadiesmith when I first read your post I thought epilogue? What epilogue? OMG I missed that whole conversation about the Ahjussi Village the first time!! Thanks!!

And Ki Hoon says, "the b***** who get a woman and leave will be killed." Ha ha!

Even when DH first heard from loan shark that JA actually intended to steal the money, the same visual representation was was used by the director. The moment DH was deep in thought about it, his team was inspecting an office and his deputy called his attention to decays in the roof hidden in sight (they opened a board in the ceiling and they saw some cracks). And when DH approached the old janitor to ask about JA, the janitor was shown burdened carrying a sack of items from junkshop, then he puts it down when he saw DH. In a way, that load could represent JA. The director for sure intentionally asked for those visuals. PD-nim certainly reinforces dialogues and plots with visuals and set design. Even boiling kettle or potted plants played a role in setting the mood or conveying deeper meaning in the scene. Well, if you are an intelligent viewer you will appreciate and get joy out of it. Hehe :lol:

• Like 10

27 minutes ago, akhenaten said:

@justamom No wonder.  You could really see the difference in their skills compared to the stars in other more popular dramas.  Jung Hee would have been a forgettable secondary character in the hands of a lesser-skilled actress but Oh Na Ra made her so interesting and three-dimensional despite the fact that her screen time wasn’t as much.  She really imbued her character with so much pathos. 

All of them actually acted with such subtlety and nuance that every emotion, every action, looked so natural.  And you never had the feeling that anyone was trying to overwhelm the others in terms of acting.  And you could see how they allowed the younger, less-experienced actors like LJE and Jang Ki Young to shine.  I’m sure these veterans gave them tips and coached them a lot.  And of course, when you’re with highly-skilled people,  their talent and passion just rubs off on you. 

And she said that the drama would have been better if there hadn’t been any controversy.  My goodness. As it is now, it’s already an excellent drama. How much better could they have possible made it? More exposition on the story of Gyeom Deok and Jung Hee?  More on the background story of Ji An, Ki Beom and Kwang Il?  A more passionate telling of Dong Hoon and Ji An’s relationship?  Maybe we would have gotten a kiss and not just a hug.  Perhaps if they hadn’t compromised a bit, they would probably have left us shell-shocked and traumatized by the end of the drama.  Our hearts would have been totally shattered. :o

For the briefest of moment, I actually thought Jung Hee will be DH's love triangle. Remember that will scene when JH first appears in the drama? When she arrived from Thailand and the hoogye men went to welcome her to the bar? DH approached her while she naps sitting and DH taps her knee (DH comfortably touching a woman!) to wake her up and then she slaps him. And the way JH twirled DH in the next scene (though the scene was blurred) really made me think she might play as possible 3rd party. But of course i later learned she wasnt. Whats with DH, he is so hard to get, even just a small gesture out of character makes me think it's a big deal. :lol:

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

16 hours ago, fauna said:

The way Ji An loves Dong Hoon puts ordinary mortals to shame.  She truly embodies what the Bible describes love to be: 

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”

No wonder Yoon Hee felt so miserable she wanted to die. This girl of twenty-one loves her husband and values him so much more than she, who’s known him for two decades, ever did.  Foolish woman indeed. Throwing pearls to swine, as the Bible also says.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1