[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

@popai5 said: So, wanted to thank tiger457 for padding my suggestion for the ending about IU's photos substituting for Jian and making it funnier and better! Also, I knew you would comment on my 94....% of engineer comment. You fell for my trap!

This reader says:  You are one tricky person!  Knew I couldn't resist the odd percentage! The reason I wrote it that way, is that it is doubtful that Ajusshi would even know who is IU.    This reader has never heard of such a person either...until now because of the forum.  Good work in reading so fast!

Here is a logical puzzle  for you.

Engineer in episode 15 said (paraphrase):  I will be happy, because if I'm sad you Ji-an will be sad, and you being sad makes it hard for me to breathe feeling sadness for you...So I shall be happy!

Ji-an said:  I like very sound you make, your footsteps, your breathing....everything...Ajusshi!

Later in episode 16 after they parted for the 2nd time  and the house is empty with his wife going abroad for a few weeks to look for some courses to study, he ate ramen, washes dishes, try to watch TV in barefoot,  then broke down and cry...

At the end of episode 16 Engineer said:  I don't work at Salman anymore,...I formed my company..... come visit us.

He then held Ji-an hand for 30 seconds during which she said I'll buy you delicious food.... I'll call you.

Then Engineer said (after grinning ear to ear when the pair accidentally met at the caffee):  Ji-an, have you find peace with yourself?

Ji-an said with a little smile on her face:  Yes...YES...!

Logically what does the above mean?

• Confused 2

20 minutes ago, justamom said:

"Oh Nara - 'Our My Ahjussi chat is just as hot as ever."

Actress Oh Nara praises the teamwork in My Ahjussi.

It's been ten days since the drama ended. But "it still feels like we're filming", everyone in the My Ahjussi chatroom still addresses each other by their character names, engaging in active discussion. It feels like "we're in an extension" (of the drama).

Oh passionately portrayed Park Jeong Hee, owner of Jeong Hee's bar in the drama. Forming strong bonds with of course Dong Hoon, his brothers Sang Hoon & Ki Hoon, their mother and Lee Ji An, she displayed an irreplaceable presence.

My Ahjussi has been called a healing story where people learn how to overcome life's burdens, discovering the meaning of life through one another. Oh agrees.

"My Ahjussi was my 'insaeng drama' for audiences as well as for me. I was startled to see how immersed I was when I came out ( 제가 나오면 깜짝 놀랄 정도로 몰입해서 봤죠. not sure I translated this line correctly) The truth is, there haven't been many dramas recently with the scent of humanity, have there? It was great to have encountered such a drama after such a long time. It's not just about humanity, it healed and comforted us. Before I knew it my tears were falling. Even the cinematography was excellent, the scenes in Jeong Hee's bar were like appearing in a fantasy. It was very satisfying."

The tight teamwork of My Ahjussi is also well-known. Not just among the actors but PD Kim Won Suk and his team. Oh says, "the team work was truly great." It felt like we were a family while filming. Because of that we started calling each other by our character's names very naturally. Lee Seon Gyun became "Do Hoon-ah", Lee Ji Eun became "Ji An-ah". "We're still calling each other like that. It seems like no one wants to let go of the show. It's the same for me," she says.

The teamwork of My Ahjussi continues even after the final broadcast. Following the reward trip, they've decided to meet this Friday. Everyone from Kim Won Suk to Park Hae Young is coming.

"We decided to have a really big gathering. We're planning to eat sea snails in a restaurant like Jeong Hee's. It was Lee Seon Gyun's idea. Everyone from the production team to the cast is coming. A lot of us won't be taking part in the reward trip due to our schedules. I think this will be the first time that we feel so empty."

Me: HAHAHA! They are having just as hard a time getting out of character as us!! Still calling each other Do Hoon-ah and Ji An-ah....:lol::lol:

ME: can everyone who cant get over this drama yet join the dinner??? :lol::lol::lol: i am taking the earliest flight to seoul if we can. :lol:

• LOL 10

5 hours ago, mushroomsoupie said:

http://abk.kcforum.co.kr/2018/research/

My Mister was not even nominated for the best drama category in the 2018 Brand of the Year Awards.. (Annual award held by Korean Consumer Forum, which celebrate the best brand that has been brightening the year in a variety of different industries.) 

Nominations: tvN's Secret Forest, KBS's Mysterious Personal Shopper, tvN's Mother, tvN's Live, KBS2's Shall We Live Together, and JTBC's Pretty Noona Who Buys Me Food

If we're just talking about the ratings, even TvN's mother was lower than My Mister's... Wondering if this is because of the controversy surrounding the drama. :(  Hopefully this will not be the case in next year's Baeksang awards. They deserve to at least be nominated and even win.. 

It is sad that this great drama is overlook for the award but our IU is nominated for 'Female CF Model of the Year' award. Hope those who know how to vote at that site will support her:)

Voting guide.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh-kay, you guys.  So here I am, off early from work, and what do I do?  I re-watch MA!  Mwahahaha!!!  :D

Anyway, I don't really re-watch in sequence but I randomly choose parts of a specific episode and look at them closely.  I'm currently re-watching the beginning of Episode 9, which is one of my most favorite scenes.  That was when Ji An missed her stop coz she was thinking of what Joon Young said about Dong Hoon sharing a meal only with a person he likes.  It never ceases to amaze me how palpable the sexual tension and chemistry are between Dong Hoon and Ji An.  And to think that, in this scene, they were merely standing across the road and just staring at each other.  Yet there seemed to be this indefinable but very strong energy between them in that moment.  And the almost desperate searching for him that manifested in Ji An's whole being, and then that look of relief and longing in her eyes when she finally saw him looking at her from across the road.  It's enough to make me cry from the sheer poetry of it.  And they didn't even have to say anything!     

Another thing that caught my attention was the succeeding scene of them walking together on their way home.  Dong Hoon had asked her why she hated Joon Young and she said it was because Dong Hoon hated Joon Young.  After she said that, you could clearly see how uncomfortable Dong Hoon was.  He suddenly tries to hide behind the shield of detached professionalism by telling her to stop calling him Ahjussi but refer to him as Manager instead.  Then he quickly walks away from her. He does the same thing in Episode 10 after they had brought her grandmother to the assisted living facility after she had asked him about the meaning of his own name.  I think that made him suddenly realize that his relationship with her was really no longer as simple and straightforward as he thought it was.  Not only had he just helped her get her grandmother settled in the nursing home, he even commits himself and his whole neighborhood in protecting her from Kwang Il.  And he was already sharing intimate things about himself with her (because yes, you don't really discuss the meaning of your name with just anyone.  I mean, why would you?  such information has no relevance when dealing with strangers or acquaintances. ).  And I think the fact that her grandmother spoke to him privately and essentially entrusted her granddaughter's future to him, that's already a clear indication that something's going on between him and Ji An that's so much more than mere kindness and concern between two human beings.   And it's starting to become obvious to other people around them.  

What's really funny is that at the beginning of episode 13, Ji An mentioned this behavior to Dong Hoon.  And what does he do?  He walks faster than her again.  There was a look of amusement in Ji An's eyes that moment.  I think she was thinking then "Gotcha, Park Dong Hoon".  They both knew how well she can read him.

@nearsea  About Ji An inviting Dong Hoon for a meal in that last scene, to my mind, she's basically mirroring him.  Remember how she echoed back to him the "it's no big deal" comment because she heard him say to his brothers that it was what their father always said to him, which he in turn said to her?  At the time, he was passing on to her the comfort  and strength that his father's words used to give him.  She decided to pass it back to him by using those same words.  

As for the sharing of meals, Joon Young once told her Dong Hoon only eats with people he likes.  So in effect, by using Dong Hoon's own "language", that was what Ji An was trying to tell him with her own invitation:  I like you.  I still like you.  And now I'm in a better position to act on how I feel towards you.  I am capable now of showing you how much I like you.  :)

• Like 14
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 4

55 minutes ago, nearsea said:

http://m.dcinside.com/view.php?id=mymister&no=53637&page=1

I wish any kind soul could translate this post for us. I was taking a look at Dcinside and although Google translate doesn't help much, but still it seems like something about how Ji An inviting dong hoon for meal has a special meaning . And I think it has a wonderful point. Since it was only during these meals that Ji An would have those in-depth conversations with dong hoon. So her inviting dong hoon for rice/meal again means a new start to their hour long discussions, and connecting again. 

Kind Soul reporting for work...

These DC Inside fans are just as bad as us! She/he analyses the meaning of Ji An and Dong Hoon's dinners.

After Do Joon Yeon's revelation about Dong Hoon (that eating with Ji An means he likes her) in episode 8, their meals start to take on new significance. Ji An starts to reveal her innermost thoughts over their meals.

In episode 9, after Dong Hoon's refusal to buy her a meal, Ji An decides to buy him slippers as a present as a gift from her heart (really? I think they didn't show the link)

After Ji An's interview in episode 12, Ji An reveals her heart again to him while they drink. To a man who has just broken down because of the death sentence his wife cast on him, she tells him you're a good person. Totally.

In the 16th episode, during their final meal before Ji An leaves, she tells him her heart in the same straightforward manner. "Thank you for the ..??. I don't want to hang around here waiting for a glimpse of you." And, "I want to go somewhere where no one knows me. Where I can have a fresh start."

In the ending scene, Ji An could just say, "see you again". Why does she go to the extent of saying "I'll buy you a meal," and even "I'll call you"?

If I didn't have Ji An's conviction and courage, it would be impossible to say what Ji An said to Dong Hoon on their reunion.

It's because her meals with Dong Hoon occupy such a special place in his heart that she is able to convey her feelings so directly.

That's why Ji An's last words to Dong Hoon in the ending have such a resounding impact.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

@justamom @ninaanin  seem puzzle by this reader's  question for @popai5

Here is a logical puzzle  for you.

Engineer in episode 15 said (paraphrase):  I will be happy, because if I'm sad you Ji-an will be sad, and you being sad makes it hard for me to breathe feeling sadness for you...So I shall be happy!

Ji-an said:  I like very sound you make, your footsteps, your breathing....everything...Ajusshi!

Later in episode 16 after they parted for the 2nd time  and the house is empty with his wife going abroad for a few weeks to look for some courses to study, he ate ramen, washes dishes, try to watch TV in barefoot,  then broke down and cry...

At the end of episode 16 Engineer said:  I don't work at Salman anymore,...I formed my company..... come visit us.

He then held Ji-an hand for 30 seconds during which she said I'll buy you delicious food.... I'll call you.

Then Engineer said (after grinning ear to ear when the pair accidentally met at the caffee):  Ji-an, have you find peace with yourself?

Ji-an said with a little smile on her face:  Yes...YES...!

Logically what does the above mean?

………………………………………………………………………………...

THE ABOVE IS A TRAP THAT JI-AN CAN SPRING ON POOR INDECISIVE AJUSSHI AND HE CANNOT EXTRICATE HIMSELF.

What he said in episode 15 was:  I can't be happy or live if you are unhappy because I am unhappy, SO I will be happy .

That is circular logic to say...i.e MY HAPPINESS DEPENDS ON YOU!
then Ji-an said: I like EVERYTHING about you... i.e. being near you MAKES ME HAPPY!

But with all his baggages and hers, both could not be happy and so  she left saying YOU'RE TRYING FOR HAPPINESS EXCLUDED ME SO I'm UNHAPPY and I'm Leaving.... and Ajusshi cried over his ramen since he WASN'T HAPPY EITHER.

Then the reencounter with the pair now not miserable and more confident with little or no baggages...

The HAND SHAKE... (it's more like a hand holding on his part) after he invited her to come to his company and she responded I'll buy you food this time... I'll call...while still holding hand... That is A PROMISE WITH A HANDSHAKE... A BUSINESS DEAL from a girl who has grown up and now is ALMOST on equal footing with him (she is buying).

Then He said: Have you find peace with yourself? and she said YES!....meaning has your life been improved?  are you more happy now?

At their future date, all she has to say is :  AJUSSHI, YOU & ONLY YOU CAN MAKE ME HAPPY!....

SO, MAKE JI-AN HAPPY!!!! ...and Ajusshi is obliged to make her happy so that he can be happy!

• Like 7
  • LOL 6

I just finished my second round of watching MA, yey! Episode 16 really gets to me no matter how many times I've watched it. That scene where JA recalls halmoni's words while the hoogye neighbors were playing soccer is my absolute favorite. I think that scene fed my soul and outlook. And it's also a bonus that they look good playing soccer in suits. :D

Just to share what my eyes caught watching this 2nd round. These may or may not mean anything but given how the director tends to pay attention to details, they could mean something:

1. There was a tall rubber plant in CEO Dong Hoon's new office. It could give a clue how much time has gone by since that scene where he cried and you see a small rubber tree in his home. (Sorry i dont know how to post pics thru URLs)

2. Someone pointed out before that the brothers dont know how to hug. Well look at KH towards yoora and DH even to his mom. Even their mom just kept slapping KH and SH when they brought news of DH's promotion.:lol: Compare that to how DH hugged JA before she left for Busan.

3. DH smoking seems to be a big deal because more than once his friends or brother expressed worry when he smokes. So I checked, he only smoked when (1) ep1 he was accused of taking bribe (only held the cigar); (2) ep4 he confronted the villa owner for humiliating his brother; (3) ep9 when he learned from loan shark that JA really intended to take the money; (4) ep11 after he struck JA and JA took back her gift slippers and he was hoping to catch her passing by outside JH's bar (only held the cigar). Seems like even holding a cigar indicates major event that involves huge emotion for DH. (SH when he saw DH holding a cigar says something like: "why is he smoking. He scares me") Note:  he did not smoke when he learned of YH's infidelity. I think he just got drunk.

4.the first time DH approached his wife for a conversation, it was to talk about JA. Usually it is YH initiating conversation but DH usually just responds in mono syllables.

5. Given how much focus was made on the word "Jib chalam" as reference to YH, even how it was written on his phone, the change in the term used in the ending for sure is meant to give a hint of change in their marital status.

I am just wondering why DH's membership to Korean Engg Assoc is dated 2014 (displayed in his new office as CEO, must be typo).

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Spoiler
On 5/28/2018 at 9:34 PM, tiger457_stv said:

@justamom  Married a....MONK!!!  That would be quite something!  hahaha

@akhenaten  wrote:

@justamom probably misunderstood the subs. Even the “official” DF subs that are available in all sites say that Jung Hee was once Sang Won’s lover and bride.  Bride, not wife. So the blogger might have missed that one.  

She seems very disappointed with the open ending.  I do understand how she feels because when I first saw that while watching it livestreaming, I had PM&I deja vu and felt so bad.  I had to pull back and re-examine the whole scene in the context of the whole story and the way its plot was developed all throughout before I could convince myself that things aren’t as bad as they seem and such an ending is in keeping with the way the whole story played out.  But there’s still a little part of me that wishes the writer and director gave a more definitive hint on where this story is supposed to go.  And I guess what made it worse for this blogger and other viewers was the fact that Yoon Hee still appeared in the photos on Dong Hoon’s desk as CEO. And of course, the lousy translations of his lines at the cafe. And that sort of sad look he had on his face when he turned back to look at Ji An. In all honesty, there were ambiguities in the way the story was told that could make the story go either way and it would still be within its context.  Again, I give credit to the genius of the writing in that the story essentially leaves it to the viewer to make his or her own conclusions, but this can sometimes make for some frustrated viewers. :)""""

This reader says:  The reason there is open ending in Korean drama is because: 1) the writer does not want to offend anyone, what ever their thought or prejudice AND 2) the audience doesn't mind not knowing for sure what is a conclusion.  In the occidental world, patience is generally not a virtue... we want a quick simple answer, for good or bad.  in the oriental world, ambiguity is acceptable.

Look at the way Japanese and Korean business people negotiate.  They first go out with each other and drink, then after a while a business relationship is made, ...THEN and only then will they start talking about business.    One become friends first then business partner.  At the ending, Engineer Dong Hoon could have been chatting with one of his client when he was interrupted by a strange girl in pony tail who was buying  coffee!

In the occidental world, people introduce, shake hand and dive into the business.   One become business partners then may be friends later

This tendency to delay gratification, indirectness is interesting... not sure why it is like that?  Is it because of generations of hardships that people in the East went through?   But the occidental in previous centuries lived in difficulty also.... so this reader is not sure.

@tiger457_stv You’re right about oriental culture being fond of ambiguities, as opposed to the western culture of being straightforward and direct.  Also on how it is considered good manners first to Interact socially before you get down to business.  I’m Asian so that ending is something I can appreciate, but having been exposed to the Western culture, I kind of feel frustrated about it as well.  I’ve become a cultural schizo! Hahaha! :D

But true.  I think the drama decided to straddle the middle ground here when it came to the outcome of the relationship between Dong Hoon and Ji An.  I do echo the sentiments of the others here who wonder how it would have really ended had those controversies not been brought up.  Would Park Dong Hoon have openly declared his feelings for Lee Ji An?  Would they have entered into a romantic relationship during the drama?  Would they have shared a real, honest-to-goodness kiss? (Heck.  I’ve seen photos of LSK in his other film projects and he’s done MORE than just kissing. I don’t think it would be so hard for him to kiss LJE passionately if the script calls for it.). Would the viewers have survived watching that kiss, seeing as how explosive their onscreen chemistry is? Hahahaha!!!!:D

On 5/29/2018 at 4:09 AM, sadiesmith said:

Is it just me or does this article not paint My Ajusshi in a good light?

http://star.ohmynews.com/NWS_Web/OhmyStar/at_pg.aspx?CNTN_CD=A0002438555

I find it weird and a bit paranoid of the author to ascribe misogynistic or sexist undertones to Dong Hoon’s question on whether or not the act not wearing socks is considered sexy or his description of Ji An as the girl with the pretty face. Firstly, he was asking the question of the socks in a very matter-of-fact way.  Being a 45-year-old man who’s remotely aware of the strange trends that young people tend to follow nowadays, he thinks it’s just another trend that a 21-year-old woman like Ji An is following. At the time, he didn’t know her well yet so he probably thought she had a similar mindset as other people her age. As for being called pretty, he was just stating a fact as far as he’s concerned.  And he didn’t even say it to her directly.  Like the other soompiers have said, Ji An wouldn’t have even known if she hadn’t been wiretapping him.  so what has he done that smacks of being sexist?

• Like 11
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, akhenaten said:
  Reveal hidden contents

@tiger457_stv You’re right about oriental culture being fond of ambiguities, as opposed to the western culture of being straightforward and direct.  Also on how it is considered good manners first to Interact socially before you get down to business.  I’m Asian so that ending is something I can appreciate, but having been exposed to the Western culture, I kind of feel frustrated about it as well.  I’ve become a cultural schizo! Hahaha! :D

But true.  I think the drama decided to straddle the middle ground here when it came to the outcome of the relationship between Dong Hoon and Ji An.  I do echo the sentiments of the others here who wonder how it would have really ended had those controversies not been brought up.  Would Park Dong Hoon have openly declared his feelings for Lee Ji An?  Would they have entered into a romantic relationship during the drama?  Would they have shared a real, honest-to-goodness kiss? (Heck.  I’ve seen photos of LSK in his other film projects and he’s done MORE than just kissing. I don’t think it would be so hard for him to kiss LJE passionately if the script calls for it.). Would the viewers have survived watching that kiss, seeing as how explosive their onscreen chemistry is? Hahahaha!!!!:D

I find it weird and a bit paranoid of the author to ascribe misogynistic or sexist undertones to Dong Hoon’s question on whether or not the act not wearing socks is considered sexy or his description of Ji An as the girl with the pretty face. Firstly, he was asking the question of the socks in a very matter-of-fact way.  Being a 45-year-old man who’s remotely aware of the strange trends that young people tend to follow nowadays, he thinks it’s just another trend that a 21-year-old woman like Ji An is following. At the time, he didn’t know her well yet so he probably thought she had a similar mindset as other people her age. As for being called pretty, he was just stating a fact as far as he’s concerned.  And he didn’t even say it to her directly.  Like the other soompiers have said, Ji An wouldn’t have even known if she hadn’t been wiretapping him.  so what has he done that smacks of being sexist?

@akhenaten  Older folks don't tolerate cold as well as younger ones, so he noticed her sneakers without socks and will comment on it.  Note that if he has been a lecherous old man he would look further up, rather than at someone's feet.  He is a polite man so when observing some young female would look away or at the feet. She is pretty and unconsciously he was drawn to her in a mild attraction (at that point) but did not think any more than that.  What eventually drawn him in, was her life story...with grandma which parallel his relation with his family!

This reader is oriental too, so does not mind in the least bit the open ending.  In fact it was a GREAT ENDING since there is no way for others to successfully reproach the story!  please note the controversy here in Soompi due to an article written by a Kim and how many pages soompians have written defending My Ajusshi.   What is funny is that the defense is based on the fact that Ajusshi is so conservative, so straight-laced that he wouldn't even accept hugging Ji-an, even when the right opportunity came.... which gave so many Soompians anguish!  Yet it was this trait that was used by Soompians to defend My Ajusshi!!! 

So we Soompians also show emotional schizo by vacillating back and forth between skinship for our personal satisfaction, but with the same breath using the lack of skinship to defend Ajusshi!!!

That shows foresight on the part of the writer/director in steering the ship toward the middle ground so ...no possible LOGICAL reproach!!! hahaha

• Like 12
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, justamom said:

"Oh Nara - 'Our My Ahjussi chat is just as hot as ever."

Actress Oh Nara praises the teamwork in My Ahjussi.

It's been ten days since the drama ended. But "it still feels like we're filming", everyone in the My Ahjussi chatroom still addresses each other by their character names, engaging in active discussion. It feels like "we're in an extension" (of the drama).

Oh passionately portrayed Park Jeong Hee, owner of Jeong Hee's bar in the drama. Forming strong bonds with of course Dong Hoon, his brothers Sang Hoon & Ki Hoon, their mother and Lee Ji An, she displayed an irreplaceable presence.

My Ahjussi has been called a healing story where people learn how to overcome life's burdens, discovering the meaning of life through one another. Oh agrees.

"My Ahjussi was my 'insaeng drama' for audiences as well as for me. I was startled to see how immersed I was when I came out ( 제가 나오면 깜짝 놀랄 정도로 몰입해서 봤죠. not sure I translated this line correctly) The truth is, there haven't been many dramas recently with the scent of humanity, have there? It was great to have encountered such a drama after such a long time. It's not just about humanity, it healed and comforted us. Before I knew it my tears were falling. Even the cinematography was excellent, the scenes in Jeong Hee's bar were like appearing in a fantasy. It was very satisfying."

The tight teamwork of My Ahjussi is also well-known. Not just among the actors but PD Kim Won Suk and his team. Oh says, "the team work was truly great." It felt like we were a family while filming. Because of that we started calling each other by our character's names very naturally. Lee Seon Gyun became "Do Hoon-ah", Lee Ji Eun became "Ji An-ah". "We're still calling each other like that. It seems like no one wants to let go of the show. It's the same for me," she says.

The teamwork of My Ahjussi continues even after the final broadcast. Following the reward trip, they've decided to meet this Friday. Everyone from Kim Won Suk to Park Hae Young is coming.

"We decided to have a really big gathering. We're planning to eat sea snails in a restaurant like Jeong Hee's. It was Lee Seon Gyun's idea. Everyone from the production team to the cast is coming. A lot of us won't be taking part in the reward trip due to our schedules. I think this will be the first time that we feel so empty."

Me: HAHAHA! They are having just as hard a time getting out of character as us!! Still calling each other Do Hoon-ah and Ji An-ah....:lol:

Thank you, @justamom for translating.  Hahaha ... So they, too, feel empty and can't move on, even when she said they have busy schedules.  I read that LSK's new movie with Song Kang Ho has already started filming.  I hope his hanging on to his DH is not affecting that project, especially considering how big profile it is. :lol:

Anyway, I don't know who have the worse case of withdrawal, we viewers who can only talk about it amongst ourselves, or the cast and crew, the very people making the show happen in the first place.   

• Like 9

1 hour ago, sadiesmith said:

Thank you, @justamom for translating.  Hahaha ... So they, too, feel empty and can't move on, even when she said they have busy schedules.  I read that LSK's new movie with Song Kang Ho has already started filming.  I hope his hanging on to his DH is not affecting that project, especially considering how big profile it is. :lol:

Anyway, I don't know who have the worse case of withdrawal, we viewers who can only talk about it amongst ourselves, or the cast and crew, the very people making the show happen in the first place.   

@sadiesmith  They get double personality too!

• LOL 4

Just thinking

When i was a little girl (a long long time ago), there was a tv show called Zoro, about the old Mexican dashing robin hood hero. Needless to say, I loved that show, origins of my kdrama escapism. 

I would literally daydream about him lifting me up onto his horse and riding off with him into the sunset in the silliest cliche way 8510.png?w=150&h=150

But this idea of the man and woman riding off into the sunset together is a embedded in our psyche somehow. It must be necessary in order for the world of humans to go on. How would a girl child ever leave the parents who love and adore them, if the desire to run off with a man wasn't that strong?  The desire to have a family of one's own.    This drama is about all kinds of love and desire, and the pain and joy we experience from our relationships.  The need to see that couple break away and start a new family, a new life together is very strong.   Reading now about actress Oh Na-Ra in the link from the All Kpop tweet that @mylovelystar just posted,  I  can see that in the real world of today, there are many types of love and commitment and family. 

We are breaking free of so many old traditions, and taboos that kept society bonded together and kept people together to care for one another throughout their lives.  What happens when we break free to follow our own paths like the monk?   Where are we going?  "O brave new world that has such people in 't!"

• Like 6

3 hours ago, justamom said:

Kind Soul reporting for work...

These DC Inside fans are just as bad as us! She/he analyses the meaning of Ji An and Dong Hoon's dinners.

After Do Joon Yeon's revelation about Dong Hoon (that eating with Ji An means he likes her) in episode 8, their meals start to take on new significance. Ji An starts to reveal her innermost thoughts over their meals.

In episode 9, after Dong Hoon's refusal to buy her a meal, Ji An decides to buy him slippers as a present as a gift from her heart (really? I think they didn't show the link)

After Ji An's interview in episode 12, Ji An reveals her heart again to him while they drink. To a man who has just broken down because of the death sentence his wife cast on him, she tells him you're a good person. Totally.

In the 16th episode, during their final meal before Ji An leaves, she tells him her heart in the same straightforward manner. "Thank you for the ..??. I don't want to hang around here waiting for a glimpse of you." And, "I want to go somewhere where no one knows me. Where I can have a fresh start."

In the ending scene, Ji An could just say, "see you again". Why does she go to the extent of saying "I'll buy you a meal," and even "I'll call you"?

If I didn't have Ji An's conviction and courage, it would be impossible to say what Ji An said to Dong Hoon on their reunion.

It's because her meals with Dong Hoon occupy such a special place in his heart that she is able to convey her feelings so directly.

That's why Ji An's last words to Dong Hoon in the ending have such a resounding impact.

Thank you dear kind soul. :D:wub: I can't thank you and @chickfactor enough for all the wonderful contributions you kept showering us with. And there are some others as well like @brose_stv and @rellea who have shared so much more which helped us to understand the drama better. 

I think the poster really made a good point since this was something I have not thought of much until now. They only got to have the one to one conversation during these midnight meals and where else do we connect more than when we are in a cozy space and sharing warm food. Also ironically at the beginning dong hoon would force himself to be in the same place with her, doing something that he would only do with people he likes. So from there to ep 16, when he had this large grin on his face when she says she will call him. It speaks volumes. 

The Dcinside people really are as much or more invested than we are it seems! I wish I could share more from that site, especially the gif collections. I particularly like the one where the poster shares last scenes of all the episodes and which are mostly stares, either from DH or JA. I feel like a lot of thoughts and artistic expressions/ concept were in progress before the drama even started. Or else we wouldn't find so many similarities or deja vu moments.  I also want to give a shout out to the actor who played Kwang Gil. I think he's one of us, [only on the other side lol] like he's the only one who was able to figure out, the special thread, the thread of fate [at least that's what I think lol] that connects them. 

• Like 8

4 hours ago, akhenaten said:

About Ji An inviting Dong Hoon for a meal in that last scene, to my mind, she's basically mirroring him.  Remember how she echoed back to him the "it's no big deal" comment because she heard him say to his brothers that it was what their father always said to him, which he in turn said to her?  At the time, he was passing on to her the comfort  and strength that his father's words used to give him.  She decided to pass it back to him by using those same words.  

As for the sharing of meals, Joon Young once told her Dong Hoon only eats with people he likes.  So in effect, by using Dong Hoon's own "language", that was what Ji An was trying to tell him with her own invitation:  I like you.  I still like you.  And now I'm in a better position to act on how I feel towards you.  I am capable now of showing you how much I like you

Beautifully said. I think if we could get to see the script, there must be at least 3 lines written on how Ji An should give expressions, when she was saying this to dong hoon, and mostly for the whole 5 minutes when they see each other, talk and look back. So it seems to me that the writer was strongly trying to give us the message that it's a happy ending, not a sad one.

• Like 7

I've finally caught up to you guys!

@tiger457_stv  I am more emotional than logical and I was crafting a semi-logical answer but you beat me to the punch but here is my lame answers.

1) DH says to himself that 'I will be happy so that you will be happy. Then I can breathe. Then I will be truly happy.' Typical engineer logic.

2) JA says she likes everything about me (even when I'm not happy) so, if I'm happy then she will like me more! Yup, more engineer logic here.

3) I'm not doing anything to be happy just sitting here eating instant noodles so I will be sad for one last time with a cry so hard that it will ruin the carpets and furniture and I'm

not going to clean up the mess! He's starting to break free!

4) DH says to JA,  'I left Saman, that place that made us unhappy. Come visit me at my company. I am the boss. I make the decisions. I'll show you how happy I am there. You can even kick the copy machine if you want. That will make us both happy.  This is not our DH. Illogical.

5) DH takes action. I want to hold your hand (see how I initiated the contact this time?) I want to hold it for so long that people will count how long I am holding it. Hold onto it so tightly that I leave my imprints on your precious hands. Since I can't show you how happy I am by hugging you in public, holding your hand will have to do. And have you noticed my smile? I have been practicing smiling in anticipation of this meeting day. Aren't you impressed by my expression that shows I am so happy to have you back in my life? And that I am now able to love you back freely now.

6) JA I am just making sure that you are comfortable now so I can breathe and be happy and be confident that we can start anew. [some people thought I asked you this during our meeting. Others (like someone called popai) thought it was true telepathy while one couple (who was it guys? I forget) thought it was a post-coital response, so naughty but they got it right!!]

Okay, that's it. Not a great answer but I tried.

• Like 1
  • LOL 15

Alway's Something There to Remind Me

I walk along the city streets ..you used to walk along with me
And every step I take reminds me of just how we used to be
Well, how can I forget you, girl?
When there is always something there to remind me
Always something there to remind me

:rolleyes:

Lady bugs
Coffee
Sneakers
Slippers
Electricity poles
Copier machine

Soccer
Traffic lights
Telephone booths
Cellphones
Beer
Persimmons
Moon
Trains

Railroads 

Always something there to remind me
I was born to love her, and I will never be free
You'll always be a part of me

How cool is that... the MA Team has their own chatroom .. Hahha just like us here in Soompi..

Can't let go?

What is moving on? 

:tongue:

Seriously their drama, their bond is epic, as I've said it's going to be a classic and will be remembered for a long, long time.
The team should be friends for life... have a regular meet-ups.. atleast once a month.

Better yet make a new project together.

• Like 12

8 hours ago, nearsea said:

The Dcinside people really are as much or more invested than we are it seems! I wish I could share more from that site, especially the gif collections. I particularly like the one where the poster shares last scenes of all the episodes and which are mostly stares, either from DH or JA. I feel like a lot of thoughts and artistic expressions/ concept were in progress before the drama even started. Or else we wouldn't find so many similarities or deja vu moments.  I also want to give a shout out to the actor who played Kwang Gil. I think he's one of us, [only on the other side lol] like he's the only one who was able to figure out, the special thread, the thread of fate [at least that's what I think lol] that connects them. 

Share share! I don't have time to fall into another rabbit hole :lol: but I'll try and translate if you share the links here. 

I thought Gwang Il represented the general audience, initially skeptical and mocking their relationship...but he came out of it transformed, just like us.

12 hours ago, tiger457_stv said:

THE ABOVE IS A TRAP THAT JI-AN CAN SPRING ON POOR INDECISIVE AJUSSHI AND HE CANNOT EXTRICATE HIMSELF.

What he said in episode 15 was:  I can't be happy or live if you are unhappy because I am unhappy, SO I will be happy .

That is circular logic to say...i.e MY HAPPINESS DEPENDS ON YOU!
then Ji-an said: I like EVERYTHING about you... i.e. being near you MAKES ME HAPPY!

Haha that is the logic of LOVE! Well said!!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

All the right  elements just came together for this creative masterpiece. Maybe all of those involved knew it. But it wont be surprising if some people dont appreciate it. No offense meant, as I have also went through that stage, but there are some viewers who really just want light drama, with lots of eye candy and romantic scenes and are easily turned off by dark tones. I had dinner with a friend and my friend's friend who also like kdramas. My friend's friend said she didnt even get past a few episodes of MA and she brushed it off saying it's too dark so she skips and that she just recalls how the female lead keeps asking for free meals. AND  that the brothers are ugly. Seriously, I just stared at her a full 10 seconds with my mouth open as I couldnt take in what she was saying. I couldnt attack her, she's a lawyer. :confused: i thought to cite some merits of the drama but i decided against it. They were discussing dramas while talking about  So Ji-sub's abs complete with the picture. How can I discuss something deep as MA, it will be lost to them. So, yeah, for as long as the casts and crew are happy and know they were at their best doing this drama, they dont need validation from us (viewers can be petty) or award giving body (which can be too political, or commercial). I hope. I think all artist, real ones, have that sense of accomplishment when they view their own work, regardless of how the public receives it. Even if it's a commercial success, they know if their work is actually forgettable. And even if it is rejected by most viewers, they know if their work is one for the books. =) to me, they should already feel they've won. :)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, popai5 said:

@tiger457_stv  I am more emotional than logical and I was crafting a semi-logical answer but you beat me to the punch but here is my lame answers.

1) DH says to himself that 'I will be happy so that you will be happy. Then I can breathe. Then I will be truly happy.' Typical engineer logic.

2) JA says she likes everything about me (even when I'm not happy) so, if I'm happy then she will like me more! Yup, more engineer logic here.

3) I'm not doing anything to be happy just sitting here eating instant noodles so I will be sad for one last time with a cry so hard that it will ruin the carpets and furniture and I'm

4) DH says to JA,  'I left Saman, that place that made us unhappy. Come visit me at my company. I am the boss. I make the decisions. I'll show you how happy I am there. You can even kick the copy machine if you want. That will make us both happy.  This is not our DH. Illogical.

5) DH takes action. I want to hold your hand (see how I initiated the contact this time?) I want to hold it for so long that people will count how long I am holding it. Hold onto it so tightly that I leave my imprints on your precious hands. Since I can't show you how happy I am by hugging you in public, holding your hand will have to do. And have you noticed my smile? I have been practicing smiling in anticipation of this meeting day. Aren't you impressed by my expression that shows I am so happy to have you back in my life? And that I am now able to love you back freely now.

6) JA I am just making sure that you are comfortable now so I can breathe and be happy and be confident that we can start anew. [some people thought I asked you this during our meeting. Others (like someone called popai) thought it was true telepathy while one couple (who was it guys? I forget) thought it was a post-coital response, so naughty but they got it right!!]

Okay, that's it. Not a great answer but I tried.

@popai5  said:

This reader is paraphrasing each of your paragraphs from the conservative, straight lace Ajusshi Engineer Park Dong Hoon standpoint:

1) I said to you Ji-an that I will be happy so that you won't be sad for me, which makes me unable to breath because I will be sad for you....I'm basically telling you that I will happily make you happy...but I'm a conservative, shy Ajusshi so I didn't dare to say it straight out like that!

2) You Ji-an said you like every thing about me.....well I like everything about you but this Ajusshi could not say that to a young pretty girl....Now is not the time with you having legal troubles and I with familial and business problems.  Beside later , who knows, some newsperson may write an article about a "lecherous old Ajusshi lusting for a young girl"... so...it's better that I won't say anything.

Earlier when you asked if I hate you I said If one get to know someone well, nothing that someone does will bother one, and I know you.... I'm saying that I accept you as you are, and won't reject you for liking me.

3) Why is the house so empty.  Now I don't even have the wife to grunt a few monosyllables to... with her gone to study abroad. I promise you Ji-an to be happy so that you can be happy.  But I made a mess of everything. My career, my matrimony...you!  What pathetic Ajusshi!

When you said you're leaving because you can't accept my becoming happy without you, all I can say was do you have to leave so far... I am a conventional coward.  My eyes and noses get irritated and stuffy... must be the allergy...... Why am I eating ramen in this house alone! Why don't I have any one I care about with me?!!  I must be eating too much hot sauce with the ramen.... I'm tearing up!

4) You told me to be happy and that you will try to be happy... so I left Saman and formed this firm.  I did it for me, I did it for you.... I did it because if you ever comes by,  you will be happy that I've succeeded, that I'm not pitiful anymore!
And now that we meet again... I'm happy to show you my firm!
It's kind of small but it is like home with the 3 musketeers whom we ran to catch the midnight train together!  Oh, yes,  you don't have to worry Ms Jung which you always had problem with, ...you know that woman I said always pretends to smile but help no one,.... she doesn't work here!!!  So don't worry about anyone bothering you at my firm! I'm the CEO! 

So what if the firm just have 5 employees, 6 including me!  This is 2 more than when I was manager at Saman!

Oh, you have to put on sneakers before you can kick my copying machine!  I have a large
bank loan to finance the firm, from the mortgage on my house!  In 10 years when I can pay off  the loan, it will be old and you can kick it  in high heels all you want! ...Can't get over you wearing high heels and make up!  But despite all that you look the same... like my... ah..ah... the Ji-an I knew!

5) Those cursed female office workers!  Why do they have to tell Ji-an to leave!  Shouldn't they stay in the coffee shop sipping their Americano/Latte... or whatever.!  I asked Ji-an to come to my office but she just smile and said nothing!

Now there is no time left before she leaves.   "Ji-an let's shake hand".... this is a contract between us, and you must come to see my treasure, my success...my office.
What a soft warm hand!  Come to think about it, have I ever hold any woman's hand?  Not with mother.... I think I dimly remember holding my son's mother hand once before when we got married.. or did I?!

You said "I'll invite you to a delicious meal Ajusshi".... That is great (engineer smiling)... we have a deal!  we have a ...DAT... whatever!  But this time I don't have to pay.  As I said it's only been a year and I'm up to my nose in debt!...but I'll be able to make a success of it I'm sure, since I have to show you Ji-an that I am not a failure. 

Then you said "I'll call you".   Thank you Ji-an for saying that! I'm an Ajusshi, and am rusty and embarrassed as to how to call a girl!

Oh you're pulling your hand...have I held it too long?! Hope I didn't hold your hand too tight!....  Oh time is too short!...and already it's  time to go back....BUT let's have a peek at Ji-an's back (smiling)!

6) I'm happy to see you so poise and mature and well integrated into society and walking confidently with those female workers, like you promised me..that makes me ecstatic.... are you also happy to see me?     "Ji-an have you found comfort in your life?"
I think telepathically you said Yes.... YES!  and I telepathically say YESSS ALSO! (smiling)

• LOL 10

8 hours ago, nearsea said:

Oh, could you please share the link to this gif?  I would so love to see it.

Are people at DCinside trying to decode their relationship as well?  

• Like 3