[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

2 hours ago, justamom said:

She needs to come and hang out here!

Can someone enlighten me, since when was Jung Hee married to Sang Woo? I only remembered her being referred to as his lover. Another case of bad subs??

@justamom probably misunderstood the subs. Even the “official” DF subs that are available in all sites say that Jung Hee was once Sang Won’s lover and bride.  Bride, not wife. So the blogger might have missed that one.  

She seems very disappointed with the open ending.  I do understand how she feels because when I first saw that while watching it livestreaming, I had PM&I deja vu and felt so bad.  I had to pull back and re-examine the whole scene in the context of the whole story and the way its plot was developed all throughout before I could convince myself that things aren’t as bad as they seem and such an ending is in keeping with the way the whole story played out.  But there’s still a little part of me that wishes the writer and director gave a more definitive hint on where this story is supposed to go.  And I guess what made it worse for this blogger and other viewers was the fact that Yoon Hee still appeared in the photos on Dong Hoon’s desk as CEO. And of course, the lousy translations of his lines at the cafe. And that sort of sad look he had on his face when he turned back to look at Ji An. In all honesty, there were ambiguities in the way the story was told that could make the story go either way and it would still be within its context.  Again, I give credit to the genius of the writing in that the story essentially leaves it to the viewer to make his or her own conclusions, but this can sometimes make for some frustrated viewers. :)

• Like 11

6 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

Please post.  I am really curious if a strong case can be made for reconciliation of that marriage without ignoring all the little details planted by the director.

And you did not read my post on page 214!! Read it, tell me what you think! I hope it's a new beginning for DH and Ji-An, despite all the 'hanging in the air' elements regarding DH - and if this drama has told me anything, DH can be brought to the well, but cannot be made to drink!

I think DH loves her but not as a woman with whom he wants to be a couple, but as a best friend he is totally in sync with, a compadre', a worldly friend he can hang around, chat and have a drink and a meal with, while his monk friend is up in the mountains, and is glad and grateful Ji-An is back in town and wants to see him again. That's why he held that hand so tightly and didn't want to let it go - because he didn't know she would still want to see him beyond that point and he just wanted to say his thanks again. It also shows he thinks of her as his equal. Did he consider that she may still 'like' him that way - no! He thought it was fixation and admiration by a lonely pretty girl. He met her warmly (as promised and as he meets everyone) and then he went a step ahead and met her very warmly (tight handshake) because he missed her. We are not shown their meal, so I don't know how he'd be at it, but can anyone imagine DH making any sort of move on Ji-An? He may love her but he does think she's too young - as he kept reminding her and everyone else- and he does not think of her as a woman, just as a kindred spirit he connected with. I doubt Ji-An will repeat her love confessions again, but she'll be glad she can still see him every now and then, and he'll be glad to see her casually too, and hang out alone or with all the gangs and neighborhoods all over again, and that's that.

At least he did not call her A LITTLE GIRL / KID (!) and knowing DH, that was also a possibility!!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, mylovelystar said:

“TvN My Mister is #1 in Content Power Index for the third week of May, MBC King of Mask Singer is 2nd and MBC Come And Hug Me is 3rd.”

Source

https://twitter.com/iubiscuit/status/1000995445580161024

http://m.entertain.naver.com/read?oid=117&aid=0003054921&lfrom=twitter

Source http://news.nate.com/view/20180528n26838

Our show did that?  It regained top spot almost two weeks after its airing?  I guess part of South Korea can't quite exactly move on either. :D

2 hours ago, mylovelystar said:

She has Ji-an on her iPhone case:glasses:

Source IU's Instagram  https://www.instagram.com/dlwlrma/
Ohhh am watching Hyori B&B Season 1 again:lol:

@mylovelystar, that is the same phone case as this one from back in January.  Can someone translate the following short article about the phone case? http://www.sedaily.com/NewsView/1RUCKVOG0B/GL01

'ëì ìì ì¨' ìì´ì , ì´ì ê· ì´ ì¤ ì ë¬¼ ê³µê° 'ì¬íí´ì ìë»'

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

Our show did that?  It regained top spot almost two weeks after its airing?  I guess part of South Korea can't quite exactly move on either. :D

@mylovelystar, that is the same phone case as this one from back in January.  Can someone translate the following short article about the phone case? http://www.sedaily.com/NewsView/1RUCKVOG0B/GL01

Please correct me if I am wrong. But that phone case was given by her sunbae LSG during the start of filming. I read it on SNS a while back. A lot of IU fans at that time were confirming that it was from Lee Sun Gyun given to her as a gift. IU is so sweet that even with a broken side she still hangs on to the case. She even had a sticker of Jian at the back.. (btw I freaking want that sticker!). @mylovelystar do you know where can we get that sticker? 

Edit: My Ajusshi topping the charts again? Is there any other new dramas out? Seriously I think the show shook Korea and was very influential in many topic of discussions among 30-40's working class people. And I agree @sadiesmith, I think whole Korea is also in withdrawal just like us:lol:

• Like 10

6 hours ago, justamom said:

Haha! I'm not Christian, is it rude to question a pastor like that? :ph34r:

They may still be married. But their marriage is beyond irrecoverable. (That's the basis of my fanfic as well)

@Joseph Lim Thanks!! I believe that's how she was able to convey Lee Ji An with so much emotional depth. You can see the sorrow in the depths of her soul in those scenes.

lol You were so polite!!! Maybe because I'm Christian I will feel myself freeler to be more "rude" lol. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

6 hours ago, justamom said:

She needs to come and hang out here!

Can someone enlighten me, since when was Jung Hee married to Sang Woo? I only remembered her being referred to as his lover. Another case of bad subs??

@justamom  Married a....MONK!!!  That would be quite something!  hahaha

@akhenaten  wrote:

@justamom probably misunderstood the subs. Even the “official” DF subs that are available in all sites say that Jung Hee was once Sang Won’s lover and bride.  Bride, not wife. So the blogger might have missed that one.  

She seems very disappointed with the open ending.  I do understand how she feels because when I first saw that while watching it livestreaming, I had PM&I deja vu and felt so bad.  I had to pull back and re-examine the whole scene in the context of the whole story and the way its plot was developed all throughout before I could convince myself that things aren’t as bad as they seem and such an ending is in keeping with the way the whole story played out.  But there’s still a little part of me that wishes the writer and director gave a more definitive hint on where this story is supposed to go.  And I guess what made it worse for this blogger and other viewers was the fact that Yoon Hee still appeared in the photos on Dong Hoon’s desk as CEO. And of course, the lousy translations of his lines at the cafe. And that sort of sad look he had on his face when he turned back to look at Ji An. In all honesty, there were ambiguities in the way the story was told that could make the story go either way and it would still be within its context.  Again, I give credit to the genius of the writing in that the story essentially leaves it to the viewer to make his or her own conclusions, but this can sometimes make for some frustrated viewers. :)""""

This reader says:  The reason there is open ending in Korean drama is because: 1) the writer does not want to offend anyone, what ever their thought or prejudice AND 2) the audience doesn't mind not knowing for sure what is a conclusion.  In the occidental world, patience is generally not a virtue... we want a quick simple answer, for good or bad.  in the oriental world, ambiguity is acceptable.

Look at the way Japanese and Korean business people negotiate.  They first go out with each other and drink, then after a while a business relationship is made, ...THEN and only then will they start talking about business.    One become friends first then business partner.  At the ending, Engineer Dong Hoon could have been chatting with one of his client when he was interrupted by a strange girl in pony tail who was buying  coffee!

In the occidental world, people introduce, shake hand and dive into the business.   One become business partners then may be friends later

This tendency to delay gratification, indirectness is interesting... not sure why it is like that?  Is it because of generations of hardships that people in the East went through?   But the occidental in previous centuries lived in difficulty also.... so this reader is not sure.

• Like 8

Almost two weeks after the finale and we still got so much to share with each other. But one thing I don't like is how much confusion the status of DH's marriage left for some of us.

I'll agree with the fact that no matter how much I dislike, no one can be sure if DH and YH actually divorced, but I can still argue about its high possibility.

1. YH knows about how much DH cares for JA and that their relationship is of a special kind. Now, she might feel guilty about her infidelity and out of guilt decide to carry on their marriage, BUT YH is quite a selfish person in nature. She already wrote the marriage off while blindly pursuing her own happiness. I don't think she would actually choose to stay with DH after knowing that DH might have someone more special in his life. Even more, she might have used JA's presence as an excuse to push DH into exiting their marriage

2. YH and DH's marriage was toxic in nature for both sides. The drama is not on redemption as some pointed out. It's about getting rid of all the unnecessary burdens, people and feelings in your life and becoming a better person/seeing life in a new light. In order to heal, both YH and DH needed to cut off their marriage and start life anew. And start they did: YH moves to states and pursues her career, while DH quits his job and starts his own company. Both of them remain as good friends because that's how DH is, he no longer wishes to have more people in his life who he would meet on streets and wouldn't want to say hello. Moreover I don't see how they miraculously repair their marriage, it's not like they married two days ago. Their marriage has been going on for 15 years and if YH's words and some flashbacks indicate it wasn't really a happy one.

3. THE SKINSHIP. No matter how platonic his feelings might be as some would like to think, DH doesn't initiate skinship. Married DH wouldn't have asked JA for a handshake. He is a morally upright person and while in marriage wouldn't go around having 30 seconds long handshakes with young girls and leaving his fingerprints on them.

4. New beggings - we pretty much see all the main characters doing differently and starting over. New life = new relationships, new jobs, new outlook on life. Theoritically speaking, there is no place of their marriage in DH and YH's lives any longer

That is all for now, I might easly find few more arguments about why DH and YH probably divorced and no longer remain in matrimony, but I'll leave it to these 4 main ones, I think are the most important to take into consideration. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

@anipanch Great post! Like you said and some others said previously nothing was shown from which we can derive the conclusion that the couple reconciled. If anything, the gradual course of events only leads to their separation and dong hoon's new beginning. We can argue in our head about dong hoon's feelings fro Ji An, or where it will lead to, but I am quite sure about the fact that Yoon Hee and dong hoon are not going for a second start. 

Also like so many of us have stressed on the fact, I can't think anyone else apart from Ji An making this much impact on dong hoon, so I can't imagine him being happy with someone else. Plus like we know there was never any temptation until now which would make him falter. 

Ji An has already confessed verbally in front of dong hoon, JY, and Yoon Hee that she likes him. She even hissed at JY for ridiculing her love. So I don't think she would ever hesitate to go out with him. 

I know it is frustrating that we never got to see how dong hoon felt for Ji An, but tbh he has been a married man for the whole course of the show, and also the writer[ even the actors] had to face the pressure from the Korean audience, so the writer deliberately kept his feelings more focused on expressions rather than saying things out loud. Most importantly I think dong hoon will rather have deep meaningful conversations with her than having an affair with a pretty model like lady lol. She is his soulmate and vice versa. Noone except her can evoke that much emotion in him so I don't think anyone else is an option here. They are supposed to stay together either married or not, but they will grow old in that neighborhood with the friends and family. So at this point I have no problem envisioning that he will be together with her in some distant future. I don't know. :S Maybe we are supposed to read between the lines and rely on their expressions rather than what they say. 

Spoiler

Do the songwriters decide on the songs based on the progression of the events? The lyrics of the last ost called Forest when dong hoon and Ji An are meeting is quite interesting and such a positive one too.

Maybe it’s hard to bear it.
It may be too painful.

Too much to cover
It’s time to cut the tree of pain now.

It will be a tree that sprouts will grow.
The wind blows and you can lean against it
Heavy shoulder strapped down
I can not help it now.
It’s not your fault.

Maybe I’m afraid.
May the tree of pain grow again

I can not help it now.
It’s not your fault.

The trees will grow and become your forest.
The wind blows and you can run all the way
Heavy shoulder stools are left to throw
Now you can just laugh.
Yes, this is your forest.

• Like 14

Was re-watching the clip in Episode 16 when Dong Hoon was driving Ji An back from visiting her grandmother.  She was sitting at the back of the car and watching him drive.  She was focused on how one hand lightly held the steering wheel while the other was just resting on his thigh and she commented on how he was a totally different person when he drives, which I take to mean that he’s more confident and relaxed.  It drove home to me again that her awareness of him is so acute it’s almost preternatural.  

Suddenly occurred to me that when Park Dong hoon dies, Lee Ji An will feel it wherever she may be, even if they’re far apart.  (sorry for the morbid thought :) ).

• Like 12
  • Sad 2

Just saw this comment on YT at the tvN clip of last scene:

Dong-hoon and his wife are separated and live in different countries. They're as good as divorced. Whether or not they are legally divorced is irrelevant, because their relationship as lovers has 100% ended. They still keep in touch, but only as the parents of their child, nothing more. Dong-hoon even refers to her as "my kid's mom" now instead of "wife". Throughout the drama, the two things that were making him unhappy were his marriage and his job. He finally gained freedom from both and found personal happiness. Dong-hoon is 100% single now.

Just because this drama isn't a romance GENRE drama doesn't mean that it doesn't have love. This drama has tons of love, all kinds of love, just not necessarily romance. In the end, Ji-an is still deeply in love with Dong-hoon. In return, Dong-hoon (who is no longer chained by unhappiness) offers his hand to Ji-an which signals the beginning of a new relationship. It also shows that he sees her as an adult. But most importantly it means that Dong-hoon opened up to Ji-an. Ji-an realized it immediately which is why she brightened up and promised to buy him a meal and call him. By holding hands, Dong-hoon and Ji-an reconnected. They reentered each other's lives and none of the barriers that existed before exist anymore. Unless you're a strict literalist who refuses to read between the lines and chooses to ignore all the signs and clues given throughout the drama, you can envision what will happen next between Dong-hoon and Ji-an.

Even though I'm still having a hard time reconciling the bread crumbs (for and against) thrown by the writer in the last episode regarding DH's personal life status and his stance and nature of feelings towards Ji-An (I think he thinks of her only as his non-monk female best friend, but would anyone else look at his female non-monk best friend, checking out her face all over, like he does in the last scene??), I'll accept the comment above, just for my peace of mind! 
  • Like 11
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 5

15 minutes ago, nearsea said:

@anipanch Great post! Like you said and some others said previously nothing was shown from which we can derive the conclusion that the couple reconciled. If anything, the gradual course of events only leads to their separation and dong hoon's new beginning. We can argue in our head about dong hoon's feelings fro Ji An, or where it will lead to, but I am quite sure about the fact that Yoon Hee and dong hoon are not going for a second start. 

Also like so many of us have stressed on the fact, I can't think anyone else apart from Ji An making this much impact on dong hoon, so I can't imagine him being happy with someone else. Plus like we know there was never any temptation until now which would make him falter. 

Ji An has already confessed verbally in front of dong hoon, JY, and Yoon Hee that she likes him. She even hissed at JY for ridiculing her love. So I don't think she would ever hesitate to go out with him. 

I know it is frustrating that we never got to see how dong hoon felt for Ji An, but tbh he has been a married man for the whole course of the show, and also the writer[ even the actors] had to face the pressure from the Korean audience, so the writer deliberately kept his feelings more focused on expressions rather than saying things out loud. Most importantly I think dong hoon will rather have deep meaningful conversations with her than having an affair with a pretty model like lady lol. She is his soulmate and vice versa. Noone except her can evoke that much emotion in him so I don't think anyone else is an option here. They are supposed to stay together either married or not, but they will grow old in that neighborhood with the friends and family. So at this point I have no problem envisioning that he will be together with her in some distant future. I don't know. :S Maybe we are supposed to read between the lines and rely on their expressions rather than what they say. 

Reveal hidden contents

Do the songwriters decide on the songs based on the progression of the events? The lyrics of the last ost called Forest when dong hoon and Ji An are meeting is quite interesting and such a positive one too.

Maybe it’s hard to bear it.
It may be too painful.

Too much to cover
It’s time to cut the tree of pain now.

I can not help it now.
It’s not your fault.

Maybe I’m afraid.
May the tree of pain grow again

I can not help it now.
It’s not your fault.

The trees will grow and become your forest.
The wind blows and you can run all the way
Heavy shoulder stools are left to throw
Now you can just laugh.
Yes, this is your forest.

I agree with you! Just looking at the last scene, there were long seconds where they just stood looking at each other. Their eyes were doing the talking. 

• Like 7

7 hours ago, anipanch said:

Almost two weeks after the finale and we still got so much to share with each other. But one thing I don't like is how much confusion the status of DH's marriage left for some of us.

I'll agree with the fact that no matter how much I dislike, no one can be sure if DH and YH actually divorced, but I can still argue about its high possibility.

1. YH knows about how much DH cares for JA and that their relationship is of a special kind. Now, she might feel guilty about her infidelity and out of guilt decide to carry on their marriage, BUT YH is quite a selfish person in nature. She already wrote the marriage off while blindly pursuing her own happiness. I don't think she would actually choose to stay with DH after knowing that DH might have someone more special in his life. Even more, she might have used JA's presence as an excuse to push DH into exiting their marriage

2. YH and DH's marriage was toxic in nature for both sides. The drama is not on redemption as some pointed out. It's about getting rid of all the unnecessary burdens, people and feelings in your life and becoming a better person/seeing life in a new light. In order to heal, both YH and DH needed to cut off their marriage and start life anew. And start they did: YH moves to states and pursues her career, while DH quits his job and starts his own company. Both of them remain as good friends because that's how DH is, he no longer wishes to have more people in his life who he would meet on streets and wouldn't want to say hello. Moreover I don't see how they miraculously repair their marriage, it's not like they married two days ago. Their marriage has been going on for 15 minutes and if YH's words and some flashbacks indicate it wasn't really a happy one.

3. THE SKINSHIP. No matter how platonic his feelings might be as some would like to think, DH doesn't initiate skinship. Married DH wouldn't have asked JA for a handshake. He is a morally upright person and while in marriage wouldn't go around having 30 seconds long handshakes with young girls and leaving his fingerprints on them.

4. New beggings - we pretty much see all the main characters doing differently and starting over. New life = new relationships, new jobs, new outlook on life. Theoritically speaking, there is no place of their marriage in DH and YH's lives any longer

That is all for now, I might easly find few more arguments about why DH and YH probably divorced and no longer remain in matrimony, but I'll leave it to these 4 main ones, I think are the most important to take into consideration. 

@anipanch @nearsea  you both agree that that stale marriage is gone... whether the divorce is finalized or not...and that the bond between Ajusshi and Ji-an was and is very strong and unique (for them).

To continue with anipanch analysis as to why the marriage is gone:

5) Ajusshi's behaviors.  His desperation when he could not contact Ji-an, his pretense standing outside the caffee scanning the neighborhood in case she walks by, his acceptance in eating with her which he won't do with any other female (saved mother and wife), his running when he heard that she was hurt (this reader has never seen him running so hard, or with such grim concern on his face).  he is generally a person who does not show emotion,....but because of Ji-an he shows so much on his face, with his actions.... and time jump, he seems to feel the same for her....the wide grin on his face and he looks sideway when she offers to buy him food tells everything.  They won't be apart (romance or otherwise).

Many soompians mention his melancholy as he walks away at the end, and interpret this as a sign of their impending re-re-re-separation.  He was smiling thinking that he has found his Ji-an again, and is delighted that she has not changed and that she has mature, then thinking back to all the hardships they had gone through together, brings back some sadness,....but THE PAIR walk away confidently, knowing there is a tomorrow (or that evening as @MsMinnieFran would say).... the spaceman/woman will get to go back to his star (finding his heart).

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ann04 said:

I agree with you! Just looking at the last scene, there were long seconds where they just stood looking at each other. Their eyes were doing the talking. 

In ep 2 or 3, in the subway DH asked JA how she knew that he received a bribe. JA answered "how can I not know when we looked each other in the eyes." And how his body was stiffly covering his cabinet. Well, DH did look guilty even to me. But, JA's answer seem to establish early on that she can read him even if he doesnt speak. And he knows it. So taking that thought all the way to episode 16, even if he didnt say anything while holding her hand, maybe she read something in his eyes that prompted her to offer a meal and that encouraged her enough to even add that she'll call. :)

And about the issue of marriage, I dont think DH and YH will live together again after all that. If you watch early episodes you will also feel suffocated by how disconnected these two are. DH just cant respond to her by more than a few syllables. He just doesnt communicate with her. And of course YH betrayed him not just by sleeping with another man but worse knowingly with another man who tried to destroy him. [Edit: In ep 7, in the campsite DH asked the CEO 2 things: did the affair start in Spring, did YH know about the 50million won used to frame him. Those questions are meant to establish how long the betrayal has been and to what extent it has gotten. Which we know is so much worse that a one night impulsive affair which arguably is easier to forgive.]

In any case, when two people connect, in the truest and deepest sense of the word, what does marriage have anything to do with it? Why do we have to put a label to it just to validate that it's a connection that will last? =) and conversely, when two people like YH and DH, do not connect in their core, in its truest and deepest sense, does being married mean anything at all? =) i am a shipper. But i can now forgive the author for leaving it open because afterall she has clearly established what matters in this love story. Deep and unquestionable connection =)

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, kdramafanlsk said:

In ep 2 or 3, in the subway DH asked JA how she knew that he received a bribe. JA answered "how can I not know when we looked each other in the eyes." And how his body was stiffly covering his cabinet. Well, DH did look guilty even to me. But, JA's answer seem to establish early on that she can read him even if he doesnt speak. And he knows it. So taking that thought all the way to episode 16, even if he didnt say anything while holding her hand, maybe she read something in his eyes that prompted her to offer a meal and that encouraged her enough to even add that she'll call. :)

Yes she was definitely faltering at first when her colleagues called her. But after DH initiated the handshake, its as if she received confirmation and gained confidence to take a step forward. I loved the look in her eyes whilst looking at him. She was conveying so much with those eyes

• Like 12

I felt that from the start it was likely going to be an open ending. My only fear back then was what if JA died somehow (cue that last car scene) I am quite okay with the ending - it was expected, lightly bittersweet with a glimpse of hope and what the future might bring.

The kinda future that I wanna peek into and I do that by reading fanfics. *lol*

The worst open ending I have personally ever watched was Big. It's been so many years. And I still feel the sting. Gah.

I'm having a hard time moving on from MA too. I tried watching other kdramas, but the moment the male lead walks in and gets introduced as the chairman of the company, or like maybe the son of the chairman of the company, or some genius I immediately rolled my eyes and go "Pfft yet another chaebol/genius!" Or when they suddenly hug each other to prevent mishaps and cue the slo-mo and music. I rolled my eyes even before I can catch myself rolling my eyes.

I will try to ease myself back to lighter dramas.. slooooowly.

The other shows that I'm watching now are Stranger Things and a jdrama comedy called Ossan's love, literally "Uncle's love" i think. 

1 korean mister serious drama, 1 japanese mister BL drama/comedy.

On another note, I got my mom to watch this! *yay me* She enjoyed it!

• Like 10