[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Just finished episode 2. Holy moly! This drama is so good with everything. It’s shaping to be that kind of drama that will be with you for a long time.

First of all, IU is amazing in this. I never encountered any female lead like her. She’s street smart, tough and ruthless. I’m loving it. She will do whatever it takes to make it through a life. I can’t praise both IU and the writer enough.

I love plot reversal in this show. Usually it’s a man who seduces a woman but abandons his intention because he falls in love with her. I’m not saying Ji An will seduce him, but she’s clearly targeting him, getting closer and waiting for the opportunity to strike. I’m very curious what method she’ll use ti get rid of them.

@maddymappo

The reason why she didn’t blackmail the CEO and instead chose to work for him it’s because she’s really smart. It’s always better to show that she’s useful, so he might need her and give her another job in the future. Whereas if she blackmailed him, he might want to get rid of her at any time.

The CEO needs to get rid of both Director Park and Park Dong Hoon. Director Park is standing in his way to become the next Chairman and he doesn’t want to work in the same company as Park Dong Hoon because he doesn’t want to see a husband of a woman he’s having an affair with. Even if she divorced Dong Hoon, it’d be extremely awkward to meet him at work.

• Like 13

5 hours ago, maddymappo said:

Can someone help me out - I don't understand :

• how did Ji An get a hold of Do Joon-Young's cell phone numbers and knows that he set up the bribe scam.
  • why would Joon-Young pay her 10 million to get PDH fired? Wasn't it  just a mistake that the bribe was sent to him and not Director Park?

It is a bit weird that Ji An would show some principles, and say she will "work" to get the money instead of lowering herself and accepting blackmail.  Uh, so in her book of crimes she feels it is more noble/ethical to get two men fired from their livelihood than just taking money for keeping silent? Why? she has even stolen money?  I guess, she she said "oh you haven't had someone kill me" - she fears if she blackmails him he may go after her. But he may still try to kill her after she does her job for him anyway- to keep her silent.

She swiped it while riding in the elevator with Director Park and the CEO. She coincidentally saw that the cell phone number for "wife" on DH's phone and the only cell phone number on the 2G phone are the same. She probably put two and two together and thinks that the CEO must want to get DH fired because he is having an affair with his wife. I don't think she knew (at the time) the bigger picture of the CEO actually wanting to fire Director Park.

I think JA is blackmailing the CEO. He can either pay her $10,000/each for getting those people fired, or she will reveal his affair. I think she wants to be practical with the blackmail (ie. pay me and I will do this for you) so that she doesn't make any additional enemies. He would probably try to get rid of her somehow if she didn't make a deal like that. For instance, he could just fire her and sue her for blackmail. But since she is offering him something, and because he is desperate for help on the inside, he is more willing to take this offer.

I don't really think she is ethical, I think she is more pragmatic+ruthless. She took the money, but when it looked like it wasn't going to work out for her, she returned it. But I don't think she returned it because she was being nice to DH, i think she just returned it otherwise DH would implicate her in the theft and her life might be more difficult. If she paid off all her debts then it would be worth it. But since she couldn't pay off her debt, it wasn't worth it.

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, V said:

I don't really think she is ethical, I think she is more pragmatic+ruthless. She took the money, but when it looked like it wasn't going to work out for her, she returned it. But I don't think she returned it because she was being nice to DH, i think she just returned it otherwise DH would implicate her in the theft and her life might be more difficult. If she paid off all her debts then it would be worth it. But since she couldn't pay off her debt, it wasn't worth it.

That’s why it’s so funny. The brothers made an assumption she did it because she liked Dong Hoon but the truth is she just did what needed to be done to save herself. That’s why Ji An is a heroine like no other. I’m going to laugh my butt off when she’ll screw with everyone on the show.

• Like 11

I actually got scared about this scene. Half covered my eyes. It was brief but he was waiting for her. Flickering the lamp light.

Because this drama is dark and gloomy,  I like the scenes whenever the 3 brothers  are together.  It's gives that lightness in typical bickering bros.  At least DH knows he can count on  the two if he's in bind. Like when they were trying  spot JA when the 50 million won was missing.  They bicker in fond way. Also the scene when brothers are around their mother. The mother is  so worried for the oldest even asking DH permission if she could collateral the house he bought for her so she can give it to the oldest bro SH

• Like 8

@jongski I’m really curious where the writer is going with Jang Ki Yong aka Handsome Loan Shark character. Is he really such a psycho? JKY was such a sweetheart in Go Back Couple, it’s refreshing to see him like this, he does look intimidating.

In this scene where he waited for her I couldn’t help but notice his sharp cheekbones haha :D

• Like 7

I couldn't recognise Jang Ki Yong in this drama. There was news that he will be having the lead character role in an upcoming drama so I was happy about that. I'm watching out for him now that I know he's in the drama too! 

• Like 6

I have to say this, after reading all the opinions online all over the net..... what's the big deal if the two leads have a loveline? I don't see any problem! If it works in the story, why not! It's just a drama.

Even the production are falling over themselves to reassure everyone that there's no loveline, to the extent of changing the character chart..... 

We're all adults here.

I would be THRILLED if there was a loveline!! .

• Like 15
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant two opening episodes that drew me irrevocably in from the get go, finally bringing me back to Kdramaland after a long hiatus.

The bleak aesthetics framed by slightly off-kilter cinematography, pervading sense of desolation and desperation, interjected by the odd burst of hijinks - all build up a relentless introduction to the unforgiving universe it is set in. PD Kim Won Suk is in his element, and I know we are in excellent hands as far as direction goes.

The characters are beautifully brought to life by strong performances across the board. IU in particular, truly shines with her nuanced delivery, conveying so much with the minutest of reactions, a flicker of an eyelid, or just the gaze of dead, dead eyes of one who no longer allows herself to feel. Driven by pragmatism and tunnel vision born of her dire circumstances, to break free of the hell that she is living in, to find new life for her and her grandmother, she is currently ruthless and callous, bent on achieving her goal with no regard yet for the collateral damage she may leave in her wake. Her LJA has me aching for her inasmuch as I fear the lengths to which her desperation would take her. LSK is equally convincing as the hapless, bewildered PDH, trapped in drudgery out of responsibility towards his family - his vulnerability and helplessness keeping me in dread and having me root for him so badly, knowing that he will be beaten down even more down the road when his wife's infidelity and LJA's manipulations come to light. While in a better financial situation than LJA, he is perhaps even more an underdog, with far less-honed survival skills than her.

The dynamics of the Park siblings leaves me with mixed emotions. Their affection is clear for all to see, yet the current parasitic nature of their relationship frustrates me as they lay, albeit unintentionally, undue pressure on PDH to be the cornerstone of the family, without bothering to understand what difficulties he may be facing. It is clear that PDH himself takes on all expectations laid upon him without a dissenting word, but I have to wonder how long before even his stoic facade finally cracks.

LJA's relationship with her grandmother is one that moves me to tears. Her gruffness belie her love, and her very actions - springing out her grandmother, caring for her when she herself could barely survive - scream that love which she no longer has the capacity to express verbally. Where her grandmother is physically mute, LJA herself is now emotionally mute, fortifying herself with a hardened hide, so that she need not hurt more by feeling. Yet, the sad, compassionate eyes of her grandmother sees it all and aches for her grandchild, just as I hurt for this family who has no one else to rely on apart from a young gamer.

The office politics are a fascinating part of this story. I am particularly glad to see Shin Goo (aka Thank You's Mr. Lee!) as the Chairman, as well as Jung Hae Kyun from the Signal alumni here as the targeted Director PDW. The previews indicate that Director Park will be trapped by LJA, but I hope this will be a temporary setback in what is currently a thrilling standoff in the company. Either way, can't wait to see how this unfolds.

As for the arc which has been the source of so much mind-boggling controversy, I do not believe we have seen the last of our resident loan shark LGI. LJA is not out of the woods yet as far as he is concerned, and it is merely a matter of time before he finally tracks her down again, be it at her workplace or otherwise. It remains to be seen why he is particularly vindictive towards her and I wonder how she could ever extricate herself from his clutches. We shall see.

So far, this drama has hit every note and then some - be it direction, performances or script, and I am absolutely absolutely on board. May this winning streak continue without losing steam, giving us one of the most outstanding dramas of 2018, if not the most. Please let it be so.

• Like 18

31 minutes ago, africandramalover said:

I have to say this, after reading all the opinions online..... what's the big deal if the two leads have a loveline? I don't see any problem! If it works in the story, why not! It's just a drama.

Even the production are falling over themselves to reassure everyone that there's no loveline, to the extent of changing the character chart..... 

We're all adults here.

I would be THRILLED if there was a loveline!! .

This 100%.  I hate it so much that production has to send the actors out to tell everyone that this is not a romance.  Even if they never intended for it to have romance, let the show take us there, and let us guess all the way and be sad/relieved or whatever.  That's half the fun.  If it's natural for them to fall in love, then why not?  PDH is not a predator, there is no power imbalance here as far as I can tell.  

I am going to wish that these two work so well together and show such awesome chemistry that all the initial doubters would now wish their relationship would go further. 

• Like 17

Wow, I've been away from Kdrama for quite some time now.... and is "My Mister" gonna lure me back?...hmmm ^_^

Okey... i read over twitter that the drama gets much criticisms for the first two episodes...kinda a controversial start at that...so then I watched it.

And wow... suprisingly... I am actually impressed.:blink:  One word for it... it's really something DIFFERENT (for a Kdrama atleast) or is this a TVN thing? storyline such as this?... or was I  been away for that long and they make Kdrama like this now...WOW...what i meant different is not only the approach and directing , but also the angles of shots... and also the "texture" of the drama...it's something cinematic "like a movie feel" -- something like that. 

But I have to admit, what really surprised me is IU's role in this drama... JiAn's characterization... kinda shocked me there...really...as in...I mean the JiAn that took the money... the JiAn that sneered at they guy who attacked her..my gosh.. the JiAn that wants to joint force with that rotten CEO (right now I dont get that... for money? she's joining his turf??? why??) :crazy:

Well much is still yet to unfold and revealed AS TO WHY ...JiaN is like this?

Where are her parents? what circumstances was she in to be buried in debt ? Why the loan shark guy Gwang Il (who is a sweetie in the Friday vid) seems so obsessed with JiAn what created that hatred and violence toward the poor girl? it's just too much really?

Who and why is that boy who plays too much computer games - follow her commands and requests? are they related?  And the old utility man in the building she work in? why does he help her like that ? you know SO MUCH QUESTIONS....WHICH I HOPE ...the drama answers well in the end.

It is a sinister, thriller kinda drama - but fortunately Dong Hoon's brothers give comedy relief ...and other quirky funny scenes with the CEO of the company...

So I was laughing randomly hahhha...in the middle of some dark scenes, crazy i tell you hahhha...anyway i hope the interest will be sustained it's really good actually. Very interesting.

• Like 16

After watching episode 2, i realized that Ji An has always been honest in the show so far, she never beats around the bush, and she would never tell a joke, which got me thinking...

When Dong Hoon asked what's the worst thing she killed and she answered that she killed a person, that statement was probably true???

Did she (accidentally) kill someone? My guess is either her parents or someone that Gwang Il holds dear.. hence the "revenge" thing that she briefly mentioned during the assault scene.

• Like 11

Aish it's such a waste for IU to "return" the money after going through all that trouble getting it LoL!:tongue: But OK...OK...I get it a innocent person's livelihood is on the line here...(damn you conscience!) 

I really like Ji-An's hustle here, I should learn her ways of getting free food eheheheh. That girl is quick, I guess she has to when you are hanging by a thread...literally. She's street smart & a survivor. Kudos to IU for taking on a challenging role which is more than I can say for most KPop Idols who do the safe route & go for Pretty, Naive type roles - BORING<_<

Another thing, I never understand why most people are up in arms over the age differences between a male-female pairing in dramas like why?!?! It's not like Dong-Hoon is a sugar daddy (he's far from it) and he with Ji-An's statuses are pretty similar. His brothers are annoying but mostly in here for comic relief. Jang Ki-Yong was so dreamy in Go Back Couple but here he's a jerk! I think he has a sick obsession with Ji-An~ As for Dong-Hoon's wife - ugh. What a *****. She's the cause of his misery and she thinks she's not a bad person?!? WoW.  

• Like 10

12 hours ago, berny said:

But I have to admit, what really surprised me is IU's role in this drama... JiAn's characterization... kinda shocked me there...really...as in...I mean the JiAn that took the money... the JiAn that sneered at they guy who attacked her..my gosh.. the JiAn that wants to joint force with that rotten CEO (right now I dont get that... for money? she's joining his turf??? why??) :crazy:

I am with you on that point.  I sympathize with Jian's desperation, and hardness but the scheme to destroy people with the CEO to get money is so ruthless and cold, not sure whether I can take this leap.  Although it has been explained that she stole the CEO's private cellphone and saw the connection to Manager Park's wife, I still cannot really understand how Ji An put it together that the CEO was trying to take down both Manager and Director Parks  at the same time and that the CEO was behind the bribery frame up, or even how she knows it was a frame up?   That isn't common knowledge in the company.    But there is so much detail and things going on at once, that perhaps that got lost in fog of facts going on.  

• Like 3