Kim Won Seok / Signal

Writer

Park Hae Young / Oh Hae Young Again

Episodes:  16

Broadcast Period

2018-Mar-21 to 2018-May-17, Wed. and Thu. 21:30 KST

Official Site

About the Show

My Ajusshi will follow a man in his forties who has had to endure the weight of life’s burdens, and a woman in her twenties who lives a very different life but is also enduring that same weight. They will look to each other and find healing in the process.

Production Information

"My Ajusshi" took over the tvN Wed. and Thu. slot previously occupied by "Mother."

Cast

Lee Sun-Kyun - Park Dong-Hoon

Lee Sun Gyun will play Park Dong Hoon, the second oldest of the three brothers. He works as an engineer at an architectural firm and always has a safety-first approach to life. He is quiet and stoic, but also goes all in for the people he loves.

IU - Lee Ji-An

IU will play Lee Ji An, who is enduring many hardships in life. She is tasked with finding out Park Dong Hoon’s weaknesses at the command of her boss, who runs a company she is temporarily working for, but soon ends up falling for his warm charms and learns to trust someone for the first time. 

Park Ho San - Park Sang-Hoon

Oh Dal Soo will play Park Sang Hoon, the eldest brother. He is a middle-aged man who was fired from his job and then ran two failing businesses, which ended up in him being chased out of his own home. Though he has to live under his mother’s roof, Park Sang Hoon is a romanticist at heart who always thinks about ways to find happiness.

Song Sae-Byeok - Park Gi-Hoon

The youngest brother, Park Ki Hoon, will be played by Song Sae Byuk. He was once seen as a genius director because an independent film he shot when he was twenty was invited to the Cannes Film Festival. However, 20 years have passed since his glory days and he has yet to successfully launch his career as a movie director.

Lee Ji-Ah - Kang Yoon-Hee

Lee Ji Ah will play Kang Yoon Hee, the wife of Park Dong Hoon.

Go Doo Shim - Byeon Yo-Soon

Na Moon Hee will play Byun Yo Sun, the mother of the three brothers. She will play the role of a loving mother who worries about her eldest living apart from his family and her youngest, who has yet to get married despite being over 40.

Jung Young Joo as Jo Ae Ryun (Sang Hoon’s wife)

??? as Ji Suk (Dong Hoon and Yoon Hee’s son)

Ji Ahn’s Family

Son Sook as Bong Ae (Ji Ahn’s grandmother)

Other people around Ji Ahn

Jang Ki Yong as Lee Gwang Il

Ahn Seung Kyun as Song Ki Bum (Ji Ahn’s friend)

Lee Young Suk as Chun Dae

People at the company

Kim Young Min as Do Joon Young

Shin Goo as President Jang

Jun Gook Hwan as Managing Director Wang

Jung Hae Kyun as Executive Director Park

Jung Jae Sung as Executive Director Yoon

Others

Nara as Choi Yoo Ra

Park Hae Joon as Kyum Duk (Dong Hoon’s friend)

Oh Na Ra as Jung Hee (Owner of Jung Hee’s Bar)

Ryu Sun Young as Jung Chae Ryung
Hong In as Jong Soo
Chae Dong Hyun

Source: Asianwiki | Dramawiki | Koreandrama 

01.Soompi code of conduct SOOMPI RULES FOR KDRAMA | MOVIES | ACTORS' & ACTRESS' SECTION

Don't post any requests for subs!

Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. 

Don't quote images.

01.Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately.02.Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.03.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, Etc.. should be report to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here.04.Those who are caught breaking the soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their Id/IDs reported the mods. 05.Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs ( those without permission from the orginal subbers and doesn't have copyrights like, Viki, Dramafever, Kdrama.com or Crunchyroll) will have their ID's reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions.

PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

• Like 17

Confirmed? Thanks for the thread. I get excited when I see new drama and casting news. The question now is who would be  the woman in her 20's?  Too bad  Kim Yoo Jung at 18 is still too young  for the role but I can just imagine...excellent acting. But whoever will be the chosen female lead, so long as it's well written, good acting,  high quality drama, I'm gonna watch. My Ajusshi looks to be something I'm going to like.  It's  human drama of love, life  living, and healing.

• Like 6

Any updates? Or is it to early? Already adding this to my 2018 drama list. For the woman in her 20 s character and the female lead I'm thinking...oooh there's a lot. Nam Ji Hyun (22) Chae Soo Bin (23) Kim Ji Won (24) Park So Dam (26) Shin Hye Sun (28) Or maybe non of them.

• Like 6

On 9/22/2017 at 12:55 PM, jongski said:

Any updates? Or is it to early? Already adding this to my 2018 drama list. For the woman in her 20 s character and the female lead I'm thinking...oooh there's a lot. Nam Ji Hyun (22) Chae Soo Bin (23) Kim Ji Won (24) Park So Dam (26) Shin Hye Sun (28) Or maybe non of them.

No updates on the leading lady, but there is some forward movement in casting.  This guy 송새벽 has been cast as Lee Sun Kyun's younger brother. He's a film actor who's never done a drama before, so this will be his first TV role.  My wish for the leading lady is a good actress who is not too young and green.  Someone in late 20s would be even better.

20170924113400293.jpg

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, sadiesmith said:

No updates on the leading lady, but there is some forward movement in casting.  This guy 송새벽 has been cast as Lee Sun Kyun's younger brother. He's a film actor who's never done a drama before, so this will be his first TV role.  My wish for the leading lady is a good actress who is not too young and green.  Someone in late 20s would be even better.

Thanks for sharing, Sadie.  I agree has to be good actress.  Don't mind who. who as long as she can match up with the main lead. A drama is good if story is good , well written,  and well acted. Wouldn't matter who the actors are.  There's bound to be huge age gap based from the plot.  The ones mentioned  previous post and now are the ones I'm familiar with.  How about Ko Sung Hee? (27)  She was good in the My Beautiful Bride. She was also in Jealousy Incarnate. (she''ll be in pre produced While You Were Sleeping). Or how about Park Bo Young (27). Or Kim  So Eun (28)  Park Shin Hye (29) or Oh Yeon Seo (30) Or again maybe none of them.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, jongski said:

Thanks for sharing, Sadie.  I agree has to be good actress.  Don't mind who. who as long as she can match up with the main lead. A drama is good if story is good , well written,  and well acted. Wouldn't matter who the actors are.  There's bound to be huge age gap based from the plot.  The ones mentioned  previous post and now are the ones I'm familiar with.  How about Ko Sung Hee? (27)  She was good in the My Beautiful Bride. She was also in Jealousy Incarnate. (she''ll be in pre produced While You Were Sleeping). Or how about Park Bo Young (27). Or Kim  So Eun (28)  Park Shin Hye (29) or Oh Yeon Seo (30) Or again maybe none of them.

I like all your ideas for the ladies except Ko Sung Hee.  I've only seen her in Miss Korea (and she is good there), but most comments about her subsequent roles have not been positive at all.  But like you said, it is likely to be none of them.  There was an article that came out today about the search for the female counterpart to LSK.  It seems that they are looking hard to make sure that they get a strong actor for the role, even if played by a rookie.  It may be a while yet before there is any confirmation.  Here's the article in Korean if anyone feels up to the challenge of translating the words.  

http://sports.donga.com/home/3/all/20170925/86523582/3

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Just to say  I remember this upcoming drama because I just finished watching an old Han Hyo Joo drama. Guess I thought of female lead in her 20's. Maybe a fresh new face that can surprise us with  acting skills.

Thanks for any updates. I'll wait for this.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Spoiler

Finally, we have another update.  This drama sure takes its sweet time with the casting. That said, I am very pleased with the latest addition of Na Moon Hee.  Although I haven't seen any of her films, she has quite the resume, including main roles in Miss Granny and last year's well-received Dear My Friends, not to mention a Blue Dragon Award nomination for her role in I Can Speak with Lee He Joon.  It looks like this drama is serious about the cast, so I am hopeful that they will find a very good actor to play the female lead.

Anyway, according to the Korean source article, Na Moon Hee will be mother to Lee Sun Kyun.  From what I could gather, she has three sons (the eldest has not been cast), and she seems to agonize a lot over her sons.  I could be completely wrong though.  LOL.

• Like 4

@Go Seung Ji@sadiesmith  Yasss! I've been waiting for updates on this. Oooh I like this veteran actress! I always see her in well made dramas and yes. I'm hoping they find the right one the play opposite Lee Sun Kyun. But wait... 3 sons? a so Lee Sun Kyun + 2 more actors to play the 2 sons. Oh my goodness, wonder who they will be. Hmm. I have someone in mind with good acting skills.  Ohmygosh! I'll be waiting for updates here. Thanks guys.  This is one drama I'm anticipating next 2018.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, jongski said:

@Go Seung Ji@sadiesmith  Yasss! I've been waiting for updates on this. Oooh I like this veteran actress! I always see her in well made dramas and yes. I'm hoping they find the right one the play opposite Lee Sun Kyun. But wait... 3 sons? a so Lee Sun Kyun + 2 more actors to play the 2 sons. Oh my goodness, wonder who they will be. Hmm. I have someone in mind with good acting skills.  Ohmygosh! I'll be waiting for updates here. Thanks guys.  This is one drama I'm anticipating next 2018.

The younger brother was cast awhile ago.  If you scroll up the page you'll see his picture.  He is a stage and movie actor who's not done a drama before.  I hope this means the production team really values acting over popularity.  Here's Hancinema piece on him:

photo892640.jpg

Actor Song Sae-byeok may star in his first drama. He is currently considering the offer for the new tvN drama "My Mister" that has already cast Lee Sun-kyun.

Song Sae-byeok made his debut in 1998 and mostly worked in film and theater.

"My Mister" is a healing drama that centers around a man in his forties and a woman in her twenties who both have the weight of the world on their shoulders. They derive comfort by looking at each others lives.

"My Mister" is directed by Kim Won-seok, written by Park Hae-yeong and stars Lee Sun-kyun.

• Like 4

I am rather shocked with the offer to IU as the female lead; totally didn't see it coming.  I was hoping for someone like Kim Go Eun, who although young seems to have this mature aura about her.  IU seems just young, and green in acting.  I am very very curious what the director's though process is in choosing her.  

• Like 7

7 hours ago, sadiesmith said:

I am rather shocked with the offer to IU as the female lead; totally didn't see it coming.  I was hoping for someone like Kim Go Eun, who although young seems to have this mature aura about her.  IU seems just young, and green in acting.  I am very very curious what the director's though process is in choosing her.  

@sadiesmith  Yeah. As you can see from my previous post where I mentioned several young actress, I didn't even thought of her as well. I thought of Nam Ji Hyun (22) actually, but anyway,  perhaps it has to be a woman in her 20's. I guess  didn't say if it were late or early 20's ( right?) so probably there's that innocence to it?  But the character of the female lead is said to be also carrying burden just like the Ajusshi. They'll turn to each other for comfort and healing. This is like  heavy drama.  Update says "to romance Lee Seon Kyun" so this has the feelz of that Jo Jung Suk IU drama Best of Lee Soon Shin. Something like that.  Also pairing reminds me of that J-dorama I watched couple of years ago   Love Song starring Masaharu Fukuyama and Sakura Fujiwara where characters experience devastation and burden but comfort, help, heal each other. They have more than 20 year age gap IRL.  This early, I'm telling ya, LSK and IU probably won't end up together. We ll I don't know. But lets see. 

By the way, I've only watched IU in one drama and that's the one with JJS.  I will watch a drama as long as story is good, high quality, well written script, well acted. It doesn't matter who the actors are.

• Like 6

I am now very very worried that this drama will never see the light of day because of IU's fans' very strong reaction against her casting in a story with an older man.  It seems like many people are strongly opposed of a romance between a man in his 40s and a woman in her 20s, never mind that they are both adults, that this drama never even emphasized the romance, and that there is a strong production team behind it.  Sigh.  I would be over the moon if they go ahead and produce this with a different actress, someone whose acting better matches LSK, but I am very pessimistic.

• Like 4

IU, Na Moon Hee, Oh Dal Su, and Song Saebyeok have all confirmed!

DOfRYi8VoAAk6NE.jpg

I'm really excited for this drama. I loved Na Moon Hee in Goodbye Solo and Dear My Friends. I adore both Lee Sun-gyun and IU too, and the tone of the drama sounds like it will be right up my alley!

I always get a little excited when the core cast isn't just the main leads and their supporting lead romantic interests (i.e. love quadrangle). I hope Na Moon Hee will have a prominent role throughout the show.

I don't have an issue with the age difference, but I understand some people get sick of similar themes, and there are a few dramas with large age gaps airing around the same time. I'm not going to bother with the negative reactions to cast/content this early on, it hasn't aired yet, and so far, it sounds as if they will approach the age difference meditatively.

Edited by liabilities
  • Like 7

My jaw dropped at this latest news.  I almost didn't believe what I was reading because I already convinced myself that IU would not dare take this role due to the recent fans' meltdown, and that LSK and the production team would be too intimidated by the controversies and decide to cancel the whole thing.  My hats are tipped to everyone involved for showing guts to move forward.  Hope this means they have faith in the script and the director.  

@liabilities, Na Mun Hee is a very established actor, so I think she will not be wasted in this.  

Now to sit back and watch IU's fans having the second round of mass meltdown.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I am anticipating this drama. LSK is an excellent actor and I liked IU a lot in Producers. And she has the fresh, young look to her which might suit this drama. The writer/director team is strong. What matters the most is a good script. Lets hope My ajhussi does well:) plus my fave NMH is here too.

• Like 5

After IU confirm as cast, k-net reaction is mostly positive. Translation by NB.

'My Ajusshi' completes line-up with impressive cast list

Monday, November 13, 2017  iu, korean dramas, lee sun gyun, my ajusshi, tv  No comments

ajusshi.jpg

ajusshi2.jpg

Article: [Official] 'My Ajusshi' Lee Sun Kyun, IU, Na Moon Hee, Oh Dal Soo... best line-up completed

Source: OSEN via Naver

1. [+4,037, -382] An Oh Dal Soo drama ㅋㅋㅋㅋ can't wait

2. [+3,507, -515] So it's not going to be a romance drama but a healing one, I'm liking the casting

3. [+1,945, -386] This is looking good, hoping for a daebak!!!

4. [+937, -111] Really loving the cast so please don't make a love line between Lee Sun Kyun and IU

5. [+488, -89] This is a family drama, please don't become fixated on the age gap and call it a makjang romance drama.

6. [+384, -56] So we're sure there's no love line in this, right? I enjoyed IU up till 'Moon Lovers' and I think it's more appropriate for a drama like this to not have a love line ㅜ

7. [+1,028, -294] It's not a romance drama, guys... it's a good line up so fighting IU!!!!

8. [+690, -186] Oh.. hearing that it's not romance but more of a healing, growth drama makes me excited!

9. [+327, -66] As long as it's not a romance drama, it's fine... ㅋ the line up is amazing though ㅋㅋㅋ

10. [+230, -54] It's a healing drama... you can tell just by the producers + cast line up. It definitely won't be another boring love story. Hoping for a daebak!

-

Cr: http://entertain.naver.com/ranking/comment/list?oid=109&aid=0003659932

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...