Details:

Original title: 老男孩

• English title: Old Boy
  • Episodes: 48
  • Aired: Mar 4, 2018
  • Aired On: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
  • Network: Hunan TV, IQiyi

Plot:

Oldboy revolves around Wu Zheng, a pilot with a high-flying job and enviable good looks. He is more than capable of taking responsibility for the lives of countless passengers but outside of work, he is tameless and free spirited and basically a child at heart. His son named Xiao Han turns up out of the blue followed by teacher Lin Xiao Ou who’s more than eager to help out. Needless to say, their arrival shakes up the life of a jet setter especially since Pilot and Teacher had met once before, when they were abroad, and it wasn’t pretty

Cast:

Ariel Lin

Liu Ye

source: mydramalist

teasers:

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Currently watching this raw and I enjoy it so far.  While some of the plot points are predictable even this early in the storyline.  I really like the relationship between the 2 leads with their respective friend so I'm tuning just for that.   I really like the laid back feel of the storyline.

5 hours ago, themarchioness said:

It will be released with subs March 9 on DramaFever!

Oh thank you so much for the information! :heart:

On 3/8/2018 at 10:30 AM, themarchioness said:

It will be released with subs March 9 on DramaFever!

Thanks for the great news! I was sure DF were subbing but I didn't know when the subs were coming out.

Currently watched till episode 12. Have to say, good casts but storyline is pretty boring at this point of time & taking quite awhile to pick up. Most of the time you see the male lead doing work on the computer (too many episodes of this scene). Female lead is a good actress but as of now, her screen character is not well liked...pretty quarrelsome for someone who is a teacher - hopefully as the drama unfolds, it will pick up its momentum & the storyline more interesting. 

Agree with budgerie that things are pretty slow going in the first several episodes. Ariel Lin is very pretty and her Arale outfit was so cute! But It’s quite unbelievable that she would turn up at the police station in that outfit in her capacity as a teacher. Anyway, most of the time, her behaviour outside of school is too over the top, although she tones down a lot when she is in school. The actor playing the Son is the young Emperor from NIF2, and he is doing a great job here. Love watching his interactions with his (supposed) birth Father. WZ’s good Friend, Shi, has the funniest lines. I love all the side characters, except for the clingy air stewardess. Seems like the front part of the drama is focusing on the Father and Son reunion situation. The OTPs have yet to develop feelings for each other. At the rate it’s going, I predict the Boyfriend in Australia is going to cheat on her soon, and they will break up. Then our OTP’s relationship can start proper.

Watched till episode 18. The drama is (slowly) picking up. The leads are no longer bickering, they are more cordial towards each other. Love the fact that the female lead has a very good lady friend who stands by her through thick & thin. Male lead also has 2 male friends who stands by him when he was at his most down moments. Thumbs up to true friendship!  Interesting interaction between male lead & his ""son"". 

However, i am just :wacko: about certain parts of the script. No doubt it is just a drama but especially for modern era drama, there must be some ""reality"" in it. Like how the male lead was suspended from work because he agreed to fly the injured boy back to safety. I am not a pilot so i dont know aviation rules but I think it cannot be only 1 person decision right? Won't there be a panel of people to decide something so important??? 

And in another incident, a student is on the verge of being expelled from school just because another student father phoned the Principal...:angry: however, on the whole, the drama is still watchable (hahaha) & we have in episode 18 that female lead found out her oversea bf cheated on her. 

On 3/12/2018 at 1:29 AM, omiki said:

At the rate it’s going, I predict the Boyfriend in Australia is going to cheat on her soon, and they will break up.

So, I just finished watching the first two episodes, and that was the first thing that popped into my head when that other teacher came into Ariel's classroom and asked if she would contact her "friend in Australia" to pick up her daughter at the airport. 

I like what I've seen so far.  I can already tell it's a story that's going to meander as it builds the relationship between the OTP and I'm okay with that.  It reminds me a bit of last year's "Blind Date," which I quite enjoyed -- and by that I mean its tone and tenor, not the story; their underlying plots are nothing alike. 

In any event, I'm definitely looking forward to watching the next two episodes on Thursday.  (Dramafever, FYI, is releasing 2 eps every Tuesday and Thursday.) 

Also, I really really love the songs used for the opening and end credits.

I forgot to comment earlier on that foster dad.  UGH.  What a way and what a time to show one's true colors.  I wonder seriously wonder how he would've handled things if the company had not been bankrupt.  I'd like to think there was a shred of decency and it's desperation that's making him act out like this.  I'm sure he stole the money the mom left for the son's college education too.  He looked too shifty eyed in that scene where he found her letter. 

(And I'm sure all of you who are much farther ahead than me are chuckling at my comments because you already know versus me just guessing... :tongue: )

I personally really like how they take the time to develop the OTP relationship rather just let them get together.  While the relationship between the lead have improves a bit in the recent episodes but they still have a lot of prejudice about each other.

@themarchionessYou’ll love the petty comment Wu Zheng make about the foster father in the later episodes.  The boyfriend part are the most predictable part about this series.  I personally glad that it happened because he's such a coward. 

@budgerieI also like the friends’ dynamic between the leads and second leads.  I especially like how Ye Zi looking out for Xiao Ou, you don't see a lot of that in c-drama.  Mostly it'll be very catty between 2 females. 

I actually don't have a problem with suspension or the calling to the principal.  I think they're both very normal and standard stuff that people would do.   However I'm worry for Xiao Ou with the crazy mother.  My gosh, she needs to see a psychiatric. 

On 3/13/2018 at 7:06 PM, budgerie said:

Watched till episode 18. The drama is (slowly) picking up. The leads are no longer bickering, they are more cordial towards each other. Love the fact that the female lead has a very good lady friend who stands by her through thick & thin. Male lead also has 2 male friends who stands by him when he was at his most down moments. Thumbs up to true friendship!  Interesting interaction between male lead & his ""son"". 

However, i am just :wacko: about certain parts of the script. No doubt it is just a drama but especially for modern era drama, there must be some ""reality"" in it. Like how the male lead was suspended from work because he agreed to fly the injured boy back to safety. I am not a pilot so i dont know aviation rules but I think it cannot be only 1 person decision right? Won't there be a panel of people to decide something so important??? 

And in another incident, a student is on the verge of being expelled from school just because another student father phoned the Principal...:angry: however, on the whole, the drama is still watchable (hahaha) & we have in episode 18 that female lead found out her oversea bf cheated on her. 

I noticed the 'reality' issue you were talking about in episode 2 with the troublesome passenger on the plane. The pilot did everything correctly even kicking him off the plane. There was no way the pilot nor airline would have gotten in trouble when the pilot followed the correct procedures. In fact the passenger should've been arrested on the spot for arguing with airline personnel and causing a scene. Being an 'influential' anything doesn't mean squat when you're breaking federal laws at the airport. That said I'm still willing to give this drama a chance due to Ariel Lin being in it.

Considering that the main leads are Ariel Lin and the pilot ( Liu Ye ?) there was no doubt in my mind that something was going to split her and her bf. I was 99% certain he was going to cheat on her. The other 1% was either death, accident, amnesia or break up with her.

Just a friendly reminder that you should avoid spoiling too much in your comments. On that note I kinda spoiled a little bit of episode #2 myself. My bad.

On 3/13/2018 at 10:19 PM, themarchioness said:

(Dramafever, FYI, is releasing 2 eps every Tuesday and Thursday.) 

Wanted to correct my earlier statement.  I misread the other day, sorries! 

It looks like DF will be releasing 2 subbed eps, Tuesday through Thursday.  That was a happy discovery last night.  :wink: 

7 hours ago, budgerie said:

@blueclueblueme too...that crazy mother! But i think she really can act. Not easy to act a role that gets on people nerve...btw, which episode are you at now? I just finished episode 20 but it seems 19 & 20 completely the same. 

I'm at ep 19& 20 like you.  I don't know where you watched it but they're different to me.  It's a good things thing that they kept her scenes to a minimal.  I like everyone acting in here, they feel very natural. 

They bumped into each other in Australia in and then flew back home together

I'm really enjoying this drama. Just got caught up with all the subbed eps. It has a nice laid back feel to it. I'm currently in a phase where none of the ongoing dramas are holding my interest. I started this for Ariel Lin, but I'm so surprised at how little I care about the romance, I'm definitely more interested in the Father and son bickering relationship. Haha. I also like how all the characters are nice and sweet. No evil characters and no one annoys me. You know how in every C drama you have one character that you want to go and slap hardly in the face. No such characters in this drama. Okay except for that douchebag foster father. Lol. Regardless, I'm enjoying it, I love the opening song a lot. Hoping that it maintains this feel good tone throughout. 

Archived