[Mainland Chinese Drama 2018] Old Boy, 老男孩

0ly40

11 hours ago, kokodus said:

I'm really enjoying this drama. Just got caught up with all the subbed eps. It has a nice laid back feel to it. I'm currently in a phase where none of the ongoing dramas are holding my interest. I started this for Ariel Lin, but I'm so surprised at how little I care about the romance, I'm definitely more interested in the Father and son bickering relationship. Haha. I also like how all the characters are nice and sweet. No evil characters and no one annoys me. You know how in every C drama you have one character that you want to go and slap hardly in the face. No such characters in this drama. Okay except for that douchebag foster father. Lol. Regardless, I'm enjoying it, I love the opening song a lot. Hoping that it maintains this feel good tone throughout. 

Eh its the opposite for me. I watched up to episodes 5 and 6 (subbed) and found that it is sooo boring so far that I had to FF a lot of scenes. While the father and son should spend some quality time together they shouldn't take up the majority of the episode(s). A lot of us came for Ariel Lin so we expect to see more of her and her interactions with the other lead (the pilot). I hate to admit this but we need evil characters in dramas so that there is some excitement or something that has us on the edge of our seats. Also the world isn't peaches and cream so having everyone be all nice and sweet is unrealistic. I'm still hanging in there for Ariel Lin...starting to lose my patience though. I wonder how the Chinese audience/viewers is responding?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ppanda0421 said:

Eh its the opposite for me. I watched up to episodes 5 and 6 (subbed) and found that it is sooo boring so far that I had to FF a lot of scenes. While the father and son should spend some quality time together they shouldn't take up the majority of the episode(s). A lot of us came for Ariel Lin so we expect to see more of her and her interactions with the other lead (the pilot). I hate to admit this but we need evil characters in dramas so that there is some excitement or something that has us on the edge of our seats. Also the world isn't peaches and cream so having everyone be all nice and sweet is unrealistic. I'm still hanging in there for Ariel Lin...starting to lose my patience though. I wonder how the Chinese audience/viewers is responding?

Haha. You sound so much like me on normal days. I always tell that drama has to have "dramas", if it's too realistic then what is the point in watching the dramas, we have our real lives to look into. Lol. A friend warned me that I probably won't like it because of the slice of life vibe.... it all depends on my mood, I guess. Haha. But I think it's unfair to complain about the father and son taking up more screentime, from the premise it's clear that they would focus more on the father son relationship than the romance. It's not like they promised some epic romance and are giving us something else. It is what it is. That's why I didn't have much expectations for this show before it aired. I don't know how the C- audience feel about it, I hope they are enjoying it. There is something really genuine about this show. 

@ppanda0421i know what you mean. This is a really ""slow"" drama. Until episode 24, it still hasn't picked up, it hasnt reached the stage where I feel interested to know ""what's next"" . You know some drama will make you excited what's next. This one doesn't (for me). 

While there are no evil characters yet, but definitely have annoying characters that will make me FF - 1 such character is the flight stewardess (shouldn't her job be busy flying (hahaha)but she seems to be clinging onto the pilot). Although he has rejected her many times but she's not taking in. Why not come a harsh one so that she will back off. His mouth tells her NO but he allows her to lean on him or sit very close to him. Aiya! This is annoying character. :angry:

This is one of those dramas where, if you're only watching for the romance, you're going to be bored out of your gourds.  It's just not that kind of a drama.  Rather, it's the whole package.  I'm interested in the OTP, the father-son, and the relationships of those around them as well, be it friendship, family, or romance.  There's just something very engaging about it all. 

Of course, I get impatient to see the OTP together but that's only because their chemistry is so engaging whenever they're on screen together.  But I also enjoy watching the journey that they're currently on.  It's kind of like getting a reward when we see them together, so I don't mind if the story takes its time in that regard.  There is so much going on in and around them, after all.

For example, I already know ZZ's mom is going to be the bane of my existence.  (And don't even get me started on all the ethical violations that went on with the whole divorce business. :tongue: )  She's probably the one thing I could do without!  :lol:

I like the little things like how he is living in a slum like area even though he is supposedly a top notch pilot. Because he believes his mom's scent is there. I went 'awwww' when his friend mentioned that and said he is sentimental like that. He is a good hearted grumpy cat. Haha. He behaves like a kid himself hence I'm more excited at the thought of him shacking up with his teenage son. I can't wait for all the hijinks to start. They are going to grow up together. Hehehe. 

@themarchioness Where have we seen ZZ's mom before??? I distinctly remember that irritating nasal voice. Haha. 

Watching up till episode 25, I like it. I got attracted by these 2 leads and I like their works so far. I never think that both of them will pair up in a drama. And of course both Lin Yi Chen and Liu Ye did not disappoint me. 

I like how they bring up the relationship of the OTP and now they are starting to have a little nice feeling towards each other. Hehe.... 

7 hours ago, kokodus said:

I like the little things like how he is living in a slum like area even though he is supposedly a top notch pilot. Because he believes his mom's scent is there. I went 'awwww' when his friend mentioned that and said he is sentimental like that.

Agreed!  I love the little details as well, and I had the same reaction to that scene.  

7 hours ago, kokodus said:

@themarchioness Where have we seen ZZ's mom before??? I distinctly remember that irritating nasal voice. Haha. 

I have no idea.  I've never seen her in anything before.  You can check her filmography.

Don’t forget the effort they put into the wardrobe so we don’t get confuse on how much time passed, ie. the same outfit in a few episodes to let us know it's still the same day. 

I can’t express how much I love this series as it progressed.  I am for once so glad that they’re dealing with all type of relationship and not just focusing on the romance.  I like how they showcase each character flaw and strength but most of all, they talked to each other rather letting the misunderstanding carry on. 

I really love the father-daughter relationship between Xiao Ou and her dad in the latest episodes. Eventhough he was strict but he still spoil her and giving her space to get herself together.   However, I'm not crazy with the latest development of her character.  A little bit too plot convenience so OTP can have more interaction. 

So far, I have watched 8 episodes on DF and I'm loving it! As one user said here, there is just something so engaging about this drama. It has a slice of life vibe, yet at the same time it's not boring. I really like that they are taking everything slowly and putting enough time in building relationships, between father and son, and even in the potential romance between the two adults. I like that slow burn treatment of relationships. There is authenticity to this drama that keeps you watching. It's like the characters are taking you on a journey and you don't know where you will wind up alongside them after the 45 episodes, but you are willing to go along. Basically, it's my go to relaxing drama! 

Am at episode 28. The father-son relationship is really :D. I shifted my attention to the lady lawyer. Maybe it's just me but i find she has more ""chemistry"" with the male lead. What makes me jump is that irritating flight stewardess. Obviously she hasn't got many flights to fly as she's always (lately in past few episodes) showing up at his door. Haiz! 

On 3/13/2018 at 9:06 PM, budgerie said:

Watched till episode 18. The drama is (slowly) picking up. The leads are no longer bickering, they are more cordial towards each other. Love the fact that the female lead has a very good lady friend who stands by her through thick & thin. Male lead also has 2 male friends who stands by him when he was at his most down moments. Thumbs up to true friendship!  Interesting interaction between male lead & his ""son"". 

However, i am just :wacko: about certain parts of the script. No doubt it is just a drama but especially for modern era drama, there must be some ""reality"" in it. Like how the male lead was suspended from work because he agreed to fly the injured boy back to safety. I am not a pilot so i dont know aviation rules but I think it cannot be only 1 person decision right? Won't there be a panel of people to decide something so important??? 

And in another incident, a student is on the verge of being expelled from school just because another student father phoned the Principal...:angry: however, on the whole, the drama is still watchable (hahaha) & we have in episode 18 that female lead found out her oversea bf cheated on her. 

@budgerie Hi, just started watching the show...been really looking for a good C Drama lately with not much luck..tried "Negotiators" and couldn't finish.  So, keeping my fingers crossed for this show.  Since I'm watching it on a paid service (DF) I'm not further along than Ep 10 so have 8 more episodes to go until 18 when the "cheating Australian boyfriend" happens.  Shame, 'cause I thought for sure that it would be sooner in the series to allow for "competition" between Ariel and the would be wanna be flight attendant girlfriend which I am looking forward to seeing more of.  Guess it's a no brainer that Ariel's boyfriend would cheat on her since they have a very relaxed type of relationship....

@kismet22Hi to you too! Hope you're enjoying the drama. I'm at 32 and tbh, what i enjoy most aren't the leads, i enjoy the brotherhood (the 3 men) & the father-son relationship. The story is unfolding lots of other mysteries but between the leads, is still very slow moving & at this point of time, uninteresting. :wacko:

I take back what I said about this show not having any annoying characters. The clingy flight attendant drives me crazy. What is really wrong with her?? Doesn't she have any self respect?? He already rejected her so many times. Sighhhh. And ZZ's mother is again someone who is just very irritating to watch. ZZ deserves better. 

I'm waiting for the next eps eagerly to see how WZ convinces Xiao Han to come back home. And please please please please, let him get Oscar back as well. I legit cried in the scene where he had to give him away. Not just because I'm a pet lover, but that scene is very emotional because he thought he only had Oscar at the end when everyone started abandoning him, and now he had to part with him too, it was soooo sad. Sighhhhhhh. I so wish they bring Oscar back. :bawling:

On 3/22/2018 at 11:27 PM, themarchioness said:

Does anyone else want Ariel’s wardrobe?! :lol:

Jisf finished Ep 12 with subs, and now I’ve got to wait until next week again. Sigh.  

I do like her wardrobe.   While it's still early for you but in the later episode, she has on a cape jacket.  I really want to own that one and probably very expensive too.  

I think they have a good budget amount for the casts wardrobe because they're are still wearing new clothes eventhough the series is coming to end soon.  

SPOILER ALERT

Ep 13 and 14 were the best! So many great bonding scenes between Xiao han and Wu zheng and even Shi fei. And Ms. lin is finally finding out how neurotic zhou zhou's mom is, I genuinely feel bad for her having to be stuck with that lady. PLUS THAT BACKSTABBER GIRL who stole her man! And that richard simmons boyfriend who is cheating on her. She is going to be so heartbroken when she finds out. Though I love that her bestie has her back and gave it straight to that girl! Plus also loved that hilarious interactions between Wu zheng and Ms. lin and also between Shi fei and Ms. lin with Shi fei trying to hit on her! LOLLLLL :lol: I hope Wu zheng doesn't regret his decision to leave the company! Can't wait for tomorrow. Two episodes are not enough! 

P.s. Was I the only one slightly cracking up at Wu zheng's turtle story? I felt bad for laughing, but it was somehow funny? turtle soup?! lol.

30 minutes ago, angelangie said:

@tigro maybe you can look at the positive sides...... @dekaron is only stating that for him / her  that the turtle story is depressing, he wasnt attacking your statement but just replying to your statement in kind.........

Thank you for clarifying. I don't know what I was thinking but I took it to mean Dekaron saying I need long term therapy for finding it amusing. Well, that was my bad. I will edit the earlier comment. 

Just caught up on the drama.  Agree with many that the show is "engaging" like a happy glass of sweet lemonade.  The relationship between the father and son is really interesting considering Ye Zi didn't grow up with a father and has a fear of engaging in a relationship he has very little frame of reference to draw from as well as Wu Zheng overcoming the betrayal and abandonment from his "stepfather" for another woman. Even though he lost a stepfather/mother/Oscar (hope he comes back :bawling:) Wu Zheng has gained a father and 2 "uncles" as well as a "chef/grandfather" and a new step Mom in the making - I wonder, if it will come out later in the show that his stepfather took Wu Zheng's college money to start this shop for his latest girlfriend.  Karma can be unleashed on certain folks in this show including ZZ mom.  Seriously, the actress is doing a great job because her voice alone is driving me straight to a bottle of Zoloft!

TBH, It's taken me some time to warm up to Ariel Lin's character, many times I found her too pushy....too bossy....too opinionated that I even felt like interrupting the dialog...."excuse me Ms. Lin, this could be construed as harassment and I am going to report you to the school board.." In the US, her behavior would probably have gotten her suspended or fired - which, looks like may be a problem for her after ep 17 and 18.  However, that being said, I love that she is so passionate about her students and support her - but sometimes she crossed the line and forgot or took for granted the people in her life that she should have put first.  Her boyfriend, although I would argue he's not the right person for her, and her roommate... Ariel's character took for granted that people would do what she wanted, what she said and when and how....I hope that she learns within this drama to have a more balanced approach to her relationships and to guard and treasure the people she should hold closest to her....

Her boyfriend, and his new girlfriend, good riddance.  "May the Karma be with you"  all I would like to see on this pairing is a moment when he realizes how much he "messed up" and is full of regret...we all want to see that from cheating significant others don't we? And I couldn't believe he left and went to the Gold Coast like a coward....seriously!!!

Her roommate, hope she finds a romantic opportunity- those that are farther ahead may know, but perhaps it is with ZZ father? or maybe Ye Zi's friend "godfather".

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to the watching the show and giving my heart a break from serious drama to a happy glass of lemonade.

@kismet22, I think you're a little turned around on character names -- which totally happens.  i don't even bother remembering what they actually are half the time, it seems.  But to clear up any confusion for others reading your post, I thought I'd clarify: Ye Zi is the name of Ariel Lin's roommate friend/lawyer.  Wu Zheng is the pilot, and the one who grew up without a father.  Xiao Han is his son; the one who was betrayed by his (adoptive) father.

I'm glad people (including Zhou Zhou) seem to realize that the mom needs psychiatric help.  I am a little disappointed though that the dad thought the best thing for him to do was to divorce her and get away.  I totally understand that he reached his limits in their marriage, and that he can't force her to get help if she doesn't want to (short of getting a court order or something), but what I can't understand is that he thought it'd be okay to leave Zhou Zhou in her care knowing exactly what she is like.  I don't know, that part kind of bugs me.  Mostly, I'll just be glad when this storyline is wrapped up because I'm not looking forward to watching ZZ's mom wreak havoc on Ariel's career and her whole craziness is starting to drive me batty!  :tongue: 

I have no words for Ariel's boyfriend.  I look forward to watching the confrontation in this week's subbed eps because it's past time.  He is so wimpy for avoiding Ariel -- both in breaking off their relationship and now letting his new girlfriend manipulate him into running away.  Frankly, I don't know why the new girlfriend would want to be with a weakling like him either, but maybe she likes having someone she can manipulate since she's doing it so well.  I don't know.  What I do know is that I can't wait to see how Wu Zheng ends up helping Ariel in Australia because we all know their paths will cross since they're both there. 

As for Ye Zi, the roommate, there was a moment when she ran into Shi Fei (Wu Zheng's best friend) outside her apartment when he came looking for Ariel.  There first meeting went so poorly that I thought to myself then, "Ah, these two will end up together, I know it."  It's how the drama world works . . . :D  If she ended up with ZZ's dad, that'd be one more ethical violation, and I don't even want to begin talking about how she should probably have lost her license already the first time she let her tongue slip about the divorce . . . oh drama worlds *facepalm*

I've peeked at the later eps, including the ending, and all I can say is it's now made me even more impatient to get there.  So glad it's a new week just for new subbed eps!  Hehehe.

Archived