[Drama 2018] Misty 미스티

Go Seung Ji

I have just watched ep 16 and

SPOILER ALERT

Spoiler

I wish I could throw some bricks while yelling, "How DARE you make my Tae Wook that pitiful!!!"

Anyway at the beginning of the drama, I wrote a comment half jokingly if the ending would be like this. But boy I was surprised what it made me feel after it actually came true! *fistpalm*

I think I wont be able to sleep tonight, just thinking of THAT ending.

Or perhaps the whole drama is just to ask one's priority in life, and to say that a marriage shouldnt be just like business card, and to say that you shouldnt marry someone who doesnt love you, and to say that you shouldnt believe your eye, and to say that one should live on. 

If only every single person just move on and live on. Ha Myung Woo, Tae Wook, Eun Joo, Kevin Lee, Hae Ran...

That ending! I guess Tae wook feels like he is in position where he couldnt retreat nor go forward, and hence that ending. Hae Ran wont love him now, and he couldnt return to the past either. Such a tragedy.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, africandramalover said:

I'm terrified of her reaction! After finally wearing her down, episode 16 is what she'll get for her first drama? Pray for me y'all!! 

Blame it on the detective and hope it will work!!!:glasses:

I was thinking earlier today that I shouldn't pan all melodramas :wink: because I've seen ones that I like and have ended with some measure of optimism. Money Flower is an example of a really good melodrama that's well-written, well-acted and has an ending that actually makes sense, leaving one with a feeling of hope.

The second biggest disappointment about a crappy ending for me is that I can't recommend a show which is otherwise quite entertaining. My experiences with Kdrama endings of late causes me to wonder how many writers worship at the altar of unpredictability to the point where the resolution makes little to no sense.

I think I could have accepted TW as Manslaughter Man if he had been allowed to turn himself in, go to prison for a stint and started afresh. That would at least have redeemed the character a smidge. Then it would have been up to HR to work out if she was willing to give him a second chance and find a reason to keep the marriage going. The more I think about MW though, the more terrifying he is. He is a bundle of contradictions. He can be quite insightful... I suppose prison gives one a lot of time to reflect and a broken watch can be right twice a day. Yet the way he attempts to micromanage TW and HR's marriage at the end is the creepy stuff of nightmares. It's his way or no way. *shudders* Initial appearance has him looking like he's achieved martyrdom by insanity but when one looks further, he's playing judge, jury and executioner punishing both TW and HR, entrapping them in this cycle of guilt.

Like @maddymappo said, we got to know TW far too late and he didn't get a chance to properly explain why he acted so wildly out of character. "He loved her too much" rings hollow.

I'm trying not to be too hard on the detective because one can't blame a plot device for doing what it's written to do. His entire purpose in the drama was to misdirect and delay any real investigation. You know, the kind that real cops do: Talk to every single person who knew Kevin, chase up alibis, find out Kevin's timeline etc etc. Most tv cops have a board with a timeline but I don't remember seeing one here. All of this was to buy the writer time because everything hinges on the audience not knowing who killed Kevin.There was plenty of cheating going on... Detective Kang, poor fellow, a case of the tail wagging the dog.

On the "What We're Watching" thread on DB a claim was made that a person on the production team of Misty had publicly said that the actors knew ahead of time who the culprit was. If true, JJH clearly didn't get the memo. Or KNJ for that matter. I seem to recall reading here that the actors only received the scripts for the ending episodes only a few weeks ago and wasn't it KNJ who said that it was surprising? Was "surprising" a euphemism for "nonsensical"... it does beg the question. :wink:

In the long run though, it does seem like this show will struggle to hold up under intense scrutiny despite having enjoyed so much goodwill for most of its run. I'm constantly in awe at how the finale can so easily undermine the narrative, the themes and the moral universe where the story takes place in one fell swoop.

:tongue:

@maddymappo thanks for the recommendation. I also liked Gu Family Book and actually understood the ending.  :)   The way that  K-dramas are now being written, I might have to watch Gu Family Book along with Goblin again.  The last k-drama I actually like was Because This is My First Life and that frustrated me a bit.  However, at least the ending was satisfactory. 

So I was thinking and thinking, and this is how I would have ended the show:

Kang Tae Wook closes his eyes as he drives into the tunnel.

Bright, dazzling light. His eyes open.

CUT to Go Hye Ran in the studio.

GHR: "I'm not usually at a loss for words. But when it comes to Kang Tae Wook (pause ...)"

Sound of audience applause

GHR's face crinkles. Her eyes well with tears. The audience continues clapping.

CUT to KTW

KTW: "It's me. Did you have a good look?" (same words that Kevin Lee said)

GHR and KTW exchange a knowing look

We could either end here, or continue a little more and have a more redemptive ending for Tae Wook and Myung- Woo.

GHR: "Many of our audience, even myself, have trouble understanding you. Does such a good man really exist? "

KTW: "He doesn't."

GHR blinks. This wasn't planned.

KTW: "Kevin Lee died ... because of me."

GHR forces a smile, tries to save the situation.

GHR: "Would you like to clarify ..."

KTW: "My wife, Go Hye Ran is known for the truth and only the truth. So I think it's only appropriate that I tell the truth, and only the truth on this show."

GHR is unable to speak, her eyes widen with horror but at the same time, relief, that this madness will finally end.

THE END.

@40somethingahjumma @pompyavi @jd50

@Carmarie @africandramalover @zenya22 what do you think? HAHA

@justamom

(Hope I can say something even though I wasn’t tagged!)

Brilliant! I love it! Tae Wook using the same words as Kevin? :lol: Hilarious. 

Now that I’ve read your alternate ending, all the disappointment I felt towards Misty is rushing back. :mellow: In the Misty world, the truth was never revealed... ugh. ...ugh 

Even Director Jang... I know people wanted to protect Hye Ran, but she was all about the truth! What! happened!!!! I know I know, it wasn’t the same. Revealing the truth about corruption and crime and whatnot about others is not the same as revealing the truth about your husband killing someone. STILL. Maybe I’m way too dramatic, but it felt like justice died in the last episode. ugh... I realize that the show is not obligated to provide us with the SWEET TASTE OF JUSTICE but still. 

At least Misty gave us incredible OSTs. I love Lee Seung Chul’s voice~~~~ To think he sang not one but two songs for Misty! Hallelujah! 

45 minutes ago, seaapple said:

(Hope I can say something even though I wasn’t tagged!)

Yes of course! I just tagged those on this page :)

I agree. Absolutely. The whole show is like a fight for justice...then the last episode, oh sorry, you know reality sucks and all :bawling:

1 hour ago, justamom said:

GHR: "I'm not usually at a loss for words. But when it comes to Kang Tae Wook (pause ...)"

CUT to KTW

We could either end here, or continue a little more and have a more redemptive ending for Tae Wook and Myung- Woo.

GHR: "Many of our audience, even myself, have trouble understanding you. Does such a good man really exist? "

KTW: "My wife, Go Hye Ran is known for the truth and only the truth. So I think it's only appropriate that I tell the truth, and only the truth on this show."

GHR is unable to speak, her eyes widen with horror but at the same time, relief, that this madness will finally end.

THE END.

Thank you for turning the last five minutes of the show around!  Maybe TW did another illegal U-turn in the middle of the tunnel or TW was in a self-driving car and got to the studio on time. :D To nitpick as usual, HR didn't seem to be panicking that her star guest wasn't on time for the show. Maybe the effects of her famous yellow pills.

1 hour ago, seaapple said:

At least Misty gave us incredible OSTs. I love Lee Seung Chul’s voice~~~~ To think he sang not one but two songs for Misty! Hallelujah! 

Yes, the OSTs were outstanding. It helps that I don't understand Korean and can listen to them relatively pain-free!

2 hours ago, justamom said:

CUT to KTW

THE END.

You should have been the writer for the last 5 minutes. :D Thanks for the tag chingu. Also in future am open to any bizarre kind of endings. ( Got enough experience with Black and Misty)

Btw started watching money flower. Waiting for jtbc's Life. 

Misty: Episodes 15-16 (Final Open Thread)

by mary

misty1516-cover.jpg

mary: Misty didn’t manage to beat Woman of Dignity in ratings, but what it lacked in finale numbers it made up for in… staying power? No one’s going to forget this show soon.

odilettante: 8.4% isn’t too shabby, especially for cable, and it’s now the third highest-rated JTBC drama (just after Strong Woman Do Bong-soon).

mary: I’m sure all the Misty beanies are itching to share their thoughts in detail, so here’s what happened this week, to help us make sense of the last few minutes.

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2018/03/misty-episodes-15-16-final-open-thread/

9 hours ago, justamom said:

I love your ending.

As you said GHR was about truth and TW was supposed to be about justice, which is why he left the prosecutor's office to work as a defense attorney.  If he told the truth, especially about being taunted by KL and his love for his wife and not being about to stand by while her name was being tarnished, how he pushed him and he accidentally hit his head.    People would have respected him and when he came out of jail, his business would have really taken off, because he would have been known for being truthful even if it hurt him. 

Adding to your last scene:  (after serving his time) HR and TW at the Hans river again, this time walking hand-in-hand, stopping and sharing a kiss...fade to black.  

Sill haunted by the horrible ending.  One thing that struck me is that I never felt sorry about KL's  untimely death, until the very end when we are shown what happened. He walked up to Tw and got in his face with his taunting and Tw shoved him with great force back.  But then just like Tw, we expected him to get up - but he doesn't. I think that is the moment I realized the full depths of the tragedy of a life lost in such a trivial way.  Eun Joo, also a tragic figure at the end, she really does lose everything, hollowed out, and filled up again with anger, rage, need for revenge.    

The next disappointment and tragedy is Mw.  At first I thought he may have gone to prison for Hr's crime. But that is not the case. He did kill that man, took a life and never regretted it. Granted the man was vile, but still. He goes to jail and becomes a lawyer but cares nothing about pursuing a life on his own. He only follows the successes of his adored Hr. He obsesses over her his entire life and finally murders again, beats and threatens people ad ultimately takes blame for KL's as death, not accidental, but as  a planned, premeditated act. He is given the death sentence.  Yet, Tw does not speak up, does not take blame for the accident. And all the people in his life know. His father, wife, his dedicated paralegal, his wife's friend reporter Yoon, Eun Joo, the station director.  He cannot live with this, so instead of accepting the public shame, ad embarrassing his wife -  he takes his own life.   This was a terrible tragedy after all.

I have gone back and watched some of the pre-KL's death parts.  Hr was very cold to Tw.  Using his case  she takes the file from his desk)  regarding the cheated immigrant, for her own fame and ego, without even giving him a heads up - was truly obnoxious, insulting. Personally I would be furious.  Hr posed as a truth seeker, fighting for a just society, but her action was narcissistic, she showed no interest or concern about her husband's professional obligation, commitment to privacy, and just no common courtesy or sharing that would normally occur between two people who are engaged, married, friends or a professional associate.  I think at that point, he really should have dumped her. It is one thing to marry someone who does not love you but quite another to be shown disrespect. instead he follows her and that led to his ultimate downfall.   

I am thinking of that scene when Hr tells Tw about how Mw didn't listen to her 19 years before, when she told him that nothing happened and went into the shop anyway and killed the jeweler.  She kept saying "why didn't he listen to me, nothing happened, why didn't he believe me, why" (or words to that effect).

Mw, then KL, then Tw - all obsessed with her and that obsession led to their deaths.  Why? why couldn't they just walk away?  She would have been just fine without any of them.

I did have great admiration for HR but as the show progresses I have some conflicts with some of her decisions and I now feel bad because I blamed her for her husband suicide.  I know I am being unfair.  :cry:

3 hours ago, maddymappo said:

Mw, then KL, then Tw - all obsessed with her and that obsession led to their deaths.  Why? why couldn't they just walk away?  She would have been just fine without any of them.

I've wondered about this myself. In the first episode, we see the policemen looking at HR through the one way glass. They are all objectifying her beauty and sexy body. I like KNJ a lot, but I didn't understand their reaction. Maybe that was to set us up for HR's incredible allure to men? My guess with KL and TW is add in her prioritizing her career over love.  But it still doesn't really add up.

The ending also haunts me. I don't find it misty, but rather sad and with a cynicism about human nature that I don't share.

This drama is very successful because people just cannot stop talking about it. They continue to dissect and try to extrapolate all the possible meaning and messages they can get and this in itself is a testimony to good writing. If people cannot get over a drama the writer has done a good job. 

Even if you dislike how it ended you're so invested you cannot let go. 

Personally I don't look for lessons or messages in dramas because they are just stories I enjoy and my life does not mirror most of the happenings in dramas like this one that involves murder and thankfully so. Family and slice of life dramas apply more to my own life and has more of a personal impact. This drama was entertaining. It can be entertaining even if the ending made me sad.

Many years ago I avoided dramas like "What Happened in Bali'' after reading it ended badly . As I grew older I realised that dramas like that are dramas that stay in your mind for a long time in spite of how rotten they might make you feel at the time you watched it. My tastes have changed and I don't think dramas have to impart values or even try to preach or teach social values. First and foremost for me they must be entertaining. 'Misty' achieved that in spite of how it ended.

Very well said indeed.  Some endings of dramas make me sad and feel all bumped out but once I discover another new show I moved on.  Or in the case of Misty which is still a great show, I just watch previous dramas of Ji Jin Hee.  It is for pure entertainment and nothing else.

2 hours ago, hyall said:

This drama is very successful because people just cannot stop talking about it. They continue to dissect and try to extrapolate all the possible meaning and messages they can get and this in itself is a testimony to good writing. If people cannot get over a drama the writer has done a good job. 

<edited>

My tastes have changed and I don't think dramas have to impart values or even try to preach or teach social values. First and foremost for me they must be entertaining

This and this! Yes! Yes! Someone was asking me if I'd still recommend Misty despite the crap ending. Yes, absolutely! To me the best drama, art, fiction, is when you lose yourself completely in the story, days, months and even years on. I'm a writer myself so I know how difficult it is to achieve that effect! 

I spoke to a Korean writer friend yesterday, who has friends in the TV industry and this is what she had to say:

"We're all talking about it. It left us all feeling empty with a meaningless ending and all the unresolved hints she scattered throughout the show. Even though it's definitely a good drama, couldn't it have told a better message? She tore down a character that audiences loved for no particular meaning...to be honest I'm still upset about it."

I think every piece of fiction has a message. Even when I don't watch a drama or film for the message, it has one. In my case they more or less pop out at me. Of course every one may interpret things differently depending on their worldview and their experience of life and this is what a forum like this is for to share those thoughts. Others may feel free to agree or disagree.

It's also quite a different experience for those of us who followed the show very early on. Although I personally always thought that the truth behind Kevin's death would be quite anticlimactic... and that turned out to be the case... many people were theorizing and speculating over the course of the  weeks. So I can understand their consternation at the lack of answers regarding the night that Kevin died.

Misty was undeniably a lot of fun from 1-14 but in the end I don't think the writer was able to bring together what I believe were the three main elements...  1) the reverse harem, 2) the murder "investigation" and 3) the investigative journalism side of things. It would take quite a bit of skill weaving all of those elements together in a way that doesn't compromise the integrity of any particular strand. For me, at the end of the day, the show was definitely at its strongest when it was about GHR, the complex anchor of News Nine and her relationship with the truth. 

To me this is why the wheels fell off the wagon when the POV switched to TW because let's face it, he was hitherto a largely undeveloped support act to his extremely charismatic, famous wife and suddenly he's the important one and his motivations, everything is what was really driving everything. Now, of course there is no reason why that can't work if the actual police and prosecutorial investigation was actually half decent and that while HR was busy trying to hang on to her job, we got into TW's headspace watching him trying to cover his tracks. What we could have got then was not only a complex woman but a complex man (who wanted to appear to be the perfect husband) who were attracted to each other because they could sense each other's dark edges. If the show wanted to be really existential and do a Dostoevsky on us... then it should have from the word go. Not just in the last episode.

I agree with @maddymappo that the investigation into Kevin's death was the weakest part and on hindsight, really wasn't needed. GHR was already making waves with some big guns in politics, big business and legal circles. She made a lot of enemies and it wouldn't be hard for these people to make her life a nightmare with the power that they have. The fake detention, fake trial... all that was unnecessary. It would have been just as interesting... or more so... just for everyone to think that Kevin really died in an accident and then for TW to gradually crack under the strain of the guilt of knowing what he did while keeping up appearances in public as the good husband.

I'm just hanging around here nattering with everyone because I enjoy the company here. :D And I enjoy bashing a bad ending. :tongue: Thankfully it's not a show I was especially addicted to, otherwise I would be throwing molotov cocktails.

@justamom Even that last minute confession would have been better than what we got. It would certainly have salvaged TW's character for me. 

@triplem Agree with you on your assessment of MF and PP. To me, PP just outclasses so many other shows with the gamut of emotions it elicits from the viewer. It's really one of the best K dramas I've ever seen. I adore MF for Hyukkie's incredible performance but everything else works too.

Archived