[Drama 2018] Misty 미스티

Go Seung Ji

@triplem For me the lesson is to avoid any melodrama in the future... because so far many of them have quite disappointing endings. Besides, the sypnosis was not correct: they were supposed to fall in love again, but was there any love at all? I question the existence of love coming from TW. It was more a possession. You are right: TW was acting like a saint on the surface, he never really protected her. It was just his pride.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow, I'm not upset with ending.

It's hard to see TW chose this 'ending' but it must be hard for him pretending to be Ok with accepting MW's decision to go to prison for GHR's happiness.

MW's decision to kill KL's manager and attacked reporter Yoon were too cruel even though he wanted to protect GHR.

We started with 3 hot guys and ended up, none stayed behind to be with GHR. 

At least I can 'see' GHR 'recovering' and will be look after by her 'family' in JBC.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their precious times here. 

(Now, waiting to watch Noona. Unfortunately, current dramas are unwatchable)

@triplem @bebebisous33

I should know better by now than to take Kdrama synopsis at face value but I never seem to learn. :wink: 

But I was genuinely enthused about watching a show featuring acting veterans in the lead... that was the biggest selling point for me. Actors around my age strutting their stuff in a serious, mature drama which had serious things to say about relationships. Apparently what passess off as serious these days is twisted dysfunctional obsession. I was hoping that this would be a darker version of Sly and Single but sadly it was not to be. 

Overall it was an entertaining show for the most part, although it wouldn't have been in my top 10 but it was still immensely watchable television. If only we could wish the last couple of episodes out of existence...

If I have the urge to venture into melodrama territory any time this year, somebody stop me please. Yelling out "Misty" will be enough.

I feel a bit bad though @bebebisous33 that you started watching this because of us. :(

I watched the drama, and was so dedicated for 14 episodes, I even watched them in marathon last week before the finale week. Because my friends said the drama is GOOD..... and I agree to them while watching episode 1 to 14. but for the finale.... I'm not going to say something harsh to the writer, I just want to ask the writer and REAAALLLYYY hope the writer read this,

"Writer-nim you must be drunk and wasted while writing episode 15 and 16 right???? Just say yes and I will understand the disaster that you create in the finale..."

............ The writer is crazy................. No.......... it's me who crazy to continue watch the ending while everyone say crap about that.......... I should save good memory and create my own hallucination ending........right...it's me who crazy panda 11panda 11panda 11panda 11panda 11

17 hours ago, jd50 said:

The reason I am irked that JJH played TW was not that TW died in the end or killed Kevin. It's fine for any actor whether I love their hair and biceps or not, to play a villain, a loser or a gray character. It was the trajectory of TW or the weird disintegration of the character into someone who first panics and doesn't know what to do and then is too cowardly to turn himself in and allows another man to get a death penalty. TW was a badly written character.

thanks for raising this point. 

it made me question whether we or rather I understood TW character at all in the first place.

i did not detect any huge character flaw in him but you got me thinking.

i was actually a tad unnerved during the courting stages when tw was so cocksure that he could make ghr happy. he appeared expectant and hopeful but he was so unprepared for a marriage with ghr. even the audience knows this. he pledged that his everything be hers but immediately after their marriage, he failed to let ghr meet his parents. it showed that his connections weren't his to give in the first place. his parents made sure of that. 

when he was living in his office, he looked less of a man that we made him out to be.  if the scenes dragged out longer of him wallowing and giving ghr the silent treatment instead of following kl and ghr affairs, i think we would have accepted or even be super sure tw was the killer. 

i think i can accept tw ending. he didn't intent to kill kl. but he dealt the final blow. he didn't speak up. just like how he didn't speak up enough for ghr to his parents. she needed to do something to prove her worth instead of him providing. 

in the end, in their marriage, he provided nothing for her. his parents accepted her in her own rights. 

tw's character was shaped by his parents. the sheltered one. he got mw to do the dirty work with kl manager. the only time he showed some strength was  in the courtroom. but then it was because he knew the truth. 

i wonder if anyone of us tried to recall tw scenes after he turned up as ghr lawyer in the interrogation room. Whether his scenes made better sense if he was the culprit. were there any clues or expected behaviour that we ought to see from TW from the earlier episodes such that they are aligned to this outcome?

i'm glad jjh played tw character. if not i'll definitely won't watch the show and hate tw even more and i should. 

i am able to withstand tw character only because of jjh! the producers are certainly smart in their casting. 

17 hours ago, jd50 said:

Thank you (there were a couple of you) for your analysis of the drama's message not being about HR's ambition necessarily, but her choices and her lack of regard for others in making her choices. I still don't think she's responsible for how people react to her choices, but she is the catalyst.

Thank you. I agree. Everyone has ambition/goals/desires/dreams, call it how one wants it. It is how and what one does to get there. 

Cast Of “Misty” Shares Their Thoughts On Drama Coming To An End

misty2.jpg

he JTBC drama “Misty” recently came to an end on March 24 with a new personal viewership ratings record of 8.452 percent.

Kim Nam Joo, for whom “Misty” was her first drama in six years, said, “This was a project I will never forget for as long as I live, and I was able to gain strength through the love that the viewers showed us. I will always remember the past five months that I lived as Go Hye Ran.”

Ji Jin Hee, who shocked audiences with the revelations surrounding his character, said, “I was happy and grateful to be able to work on such an amazing project like ‘Misty.’ I was moved by the cast and crew on set, who respected each other and focused on the work.”

Jeon Hye Jin said, “I will miss the set of ‘Misty.’ All of the crew worked really hard and I am already starting to miss them. Thank you to the viewers for their love.”

Im Tae Kyung, who tried his hand at dramas for the first time through “Misty,” said, “The production staff went through a lot, and the extras and supporting cast especially worked hard through the cold weather. I applaud them.”

Go Joon said, “I am happy and grateful to those who showed ‘Misty’ their support and interest. Thank you for loving the character Kevin Lee. I will return with an even better performance and character next time.”

Jin Ki Joo said, “I am grateful that ‘Misty’ received so much love. When we realized that, we were able to gain the strength to do better and focus harder. This was a never-to-be-forgotten project that will remain in my memories for a long time. I hope that it will be a drama that lingers on in the viewers’ minds as well.”

The chief producer (CP) of “Misty” concluded by saying, “Thank you for the love. I am thinking of it as an incentive to put in more effort. ‘Misty’ had good results because of good writers, good direction, and good acting. Kim Nam Joo carried this drama through, and I think many people came to understand why she was so good. She is someone who knows exactly the weight her name carries. There was no one else who could play the role of Go Hye Ran.”

https://www.soompi.com/2018/03/26/cast-misty-shares-thoughts-drama-coming-end/

Have had tech problems with Soompi and unable to participate for 10 days or more!!:bawling:  Here’s what I  posted on Bah-Doo, our intrepid re-capper's site.  Nice posting there, too!  Read all your Soompi posts and wanted to like, etc.  So frustrating!!  :crazy:

Have enjoyed the weeks with all of you!  Now on for some JJH viewing of other dramas where he isn’t Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde…:tongue:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I kind of agree. I was once again appalled in ep 15 at how completely inconsiderate (putting it mildly) HR was when TW gave her back the brooch telling her KL gave it to him in the bar…and you don’t EXPLAIN to your husband???? Her complete lack of aware concern caused TW so much suffering and it ended in KL’s accidental death and eventually TW’s too (sounds like he commits suicide at the end of 16). HR, you’re a top anchorwoman and great fun to watch but a miserable partner.

________________________________________________________________________________­­_____________________

Yeah, why make the HR character such a flop in so many important ways…I’ve met many powerful women (maybe not at the HR level) but who also are great communicators about feelings, are empathetic, verbally responsible in difficult situations. The writer “murdered” both HR and TW characters, at least for me. Sends a negative message about women and power and their effect “on their men.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I’m nominating HR and TW for the Worst-Communicating Couple in Kdramaland!

Given their obvious intelligence and professional-yet communications skills, I feel the writer went too far. I can never get over HR not communicating with TW to clear things up immediately when he gave her the brooch KL had given him in the bar. Didn’t she care about TW’s feelings?? Wouldn’t anyone be out of their minds if someone like KL gives them their wife’s brooch? And HR’s “I love you let’s end it” was handled like an ingenue, which didn’t ring true to me. Sure, she’d have big intimacy issues, etc. but laying it on her mother being used by men and remaining poor was over the top for me given HR was nearing 40, had made loads of money herself and married someone who was loaded and wouldn’t leave no matter what she did.

Then there’s TW: you accidentally kill someone and the brooch you had implicates your wife (though unintended) and you don’t immediately explain everything? Nah, not good enough. The writer made them “too far gone” to ever work things out. I’d have preferred the reveal about TW in ep 15 and some attempts between the couple to come to grips together about the situation after MW turned himself in.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Final thoughts after 16 w/subs.

Feel like the writer was trying to sound profound and “make messages” but didn’t pull it off. IMO came off somewhat nihilistic and not deep. Examples: “There is nothing but falsehood.” EJ “People just live day to day thinking it’s the right thing to do.” Dir. Jang “Nobody’s fault just living our lives.” MW. Forget who delivered these: “So, you need to live for the day that was given to you.” “Our lives continue on we don’t know what the end brings us, what lies ahead.” “Perhaps we try to catch things that are impossible to catch. Is that why we live life like we’re crazy?” Not exactly Hallmark cards, but meh.  For me, last line of the show was lame: “So are you happy?”

I wonder if TW would have suicided if Detective hadn’t stopped him just before with “I can’t stand to see a criminal living well,” after telling TW that MW will get life at least.

Though I didn’t care for how the writer steered Misty in last eps, just loved most of Misty. :D

Let's for argument sake say that the writer has been clever and it was TW all along and someone like me missed the bleating obvious. This was her big twist: TW was a weasel in disguise and he was making himself seem like the noble hubby but in actual fact he was just trying to impress the lady. Of course he's not that bad because he didn't mean to kill Kevin but he was too fixated on trying to be wonderful (it wasn't enough to have perfect hair apparently) that he couldn't bring himself to look bad to the wife he loved and utter the truth when he had many opportunities to spill his guts.

Ta-da... the truth is now revealed. Loads of people know he's the one who killed Kev. The worst kept secret in the history of worst kept secrets. TW is all about to confess and voila... a scapegoat in the shape of MW emerges because he wants HR to be happy. TW is prevented from confessing because someone manages to convince him that well... it's the only way that HR can be protected. 

"Yes, TW... just keep on being the weasel we know you are. But at least you're HR's weasel."

But what about all the people who know that TW is Kev's killer... Chief Jang, HR, MW, Office Manager, Reporter Yoon... they're all keeping their lips sealed presumably to protect the couple.

What about truth? Justice? All the things that were important for 15 episodes... Journalistic integrity and all that jazz. I mean that's why they went after the big wigs in government, Hwanil Steel, Kang Yool and JBC... right? So it was just all empty words to impress?

No justice for Kev? No answers for Mrs Kev? Who care about them right? They're mean people... they don't matter. Mean people have no rights, right?

But it's okay to lie about because it means that HR can go on to become SK's answer to Oprah Winfrey and be really happy while living with the secret that er... hubby actually killed someone but someone else has gone to prison in his stead.

On the first day of HR's big Oprah Winfrey moment, hubby's conscience gets the better of him and he steps on it until he collides violently with eternity

And his ghost can be heard saying to the wife he left behind, "Are you happy?"

*Facepalm*  *Cringe*

16 hours ago, meiazza said:

But with TW action in the end got me thinking that the writer really wanted to push to the limit that “ambitious women will end up unhappy” I was like, why though?? I thought she/he wrote this to give some hope especially for korean women out there. To me, HR ambition is still in a healthy mode, she’s calculated in her action and she knows how to play the game but also she can be wise and thoughtful at the same time, just look what she did to Han Ji Won, as for KL, MW and TW’s act, like MW said, it’s their own choice cause HR already said very clear about her goal. I thought the writer aware of this from beginning and that makes HR different from Joo Da Hae (Soo Ae), the female character in Queen of Ambition/Yawang. I just don't get it. HR doesn't deserve this. KNJ doesn't deserve this. With the #MeToo campaign right now, this drama could've been perfect example, but now, It's like back to pointless zero again.

OMG, I was thinking along these lines since TW said he killed KL.  There are a small group of women that I know who also love Asian dramas and we watched and discussed Misty each week.  I told the group yesterday how I upset was because I felt that the writer was telling women, if you are ambitious and go for what you want, do not expect to have it all, HR's last lines really hit me hard.  HR, " I thought I had it all when I had nothing." How sad;  why couldn't she have it all, a successful career and a happy home?  I also agree that this drama could have been the perfect example of women having it all, the successful career and a loving, happy marriage. 

I am still miffed at the ending.    The one thing that is missing in most K-dramas is communications.  It is rare to find one where the couple actually talk to each other.  I understand, as a one time romance novel addict, that misunderstandings are used as a way to move the story forward; however, when we could have had a dynamic duo, we had a dysfunctional couple who did not know how to talk to each other.  A good drama could have been so much better if HR and TW had each other's backs.  As crazy as MW was, he had great insight.  Now I fully understand what he meant when he said, (paraphrasing) After being in jail for 19 years I realize once you feel you have to protect love, it is not love but obsession.  TW asked MW what he meant, MW answered, I think you know what I mean.  I think MW knew from the beginning TW killed KL.   I am still stewing....I chose this drama after being disappointed with the Black Knight ending and they've done it to me again with Misty.  Perhaps it is time for me to give K-dramas a break.  

I will admit that up to episode 15 the writing was great.  I think the actors, regardless of the ending, were outstanding.  I loved this acting team, all of them were fantastic.  

2 hours ago, xoxobleach said:

i wonder if anyone of us tried to recall tw scenes after he turned up as ghr lawyer in the interrogation room. Whether his scenes made better sense if he was the culprit. were there any clues or expected behaviour that we ought to see from TW from the earlier episodes such that they are aligned to this outcome?

i'm glad jjh played tw character. if not i'll definitely won't watch the show and hate tw even more and i should. 

i am able to withstand tw character only because of jjh! the producers are certainly smart in their casting. 

There was a lot of discussion when TW first turned up in the interrogation room that his appearance was too fast, too smooth and a great cover for someone who murdered the corpse in question.  He switched "overnight" from disaffected, kind of remote to supportive, etc.  This came up several other times...like when TW broke the glass with one hand and we discussed how he could have caused the bruise on KL's wrist.  But the collapse of TW the character? I don't recall any of us thinking the writer would murder TW's character -- and wield quite the hatchet to HR's too.  So dismal.  In my opinion, eps 15/16 seem like they come from another drama.   

I don't think that's the message you are all interpreting. Not every career minded female will have a husband who killed your former lover. These circumstances are particular to this drama. How can a blanket "woman should not be ambitious" message be taken from that set of circumstances.

In fact it showed a very strong woman facing very trying difficulties and in spite of all that persevering. Surely you all don't think the writer was trying to dissuade woman from being ambitious. How many women do you know were in the circumstances that HR found herself in. This was just a story don''t read too much into it.

Success has a price and even men pay it.

So many great thoughts!

10 hours ago, xoxobleach said:

Sorry to cut your post, it made me really think about why I was so mad. Fundamentally, I started watching Misty because of JJH and after the show sucked me in and let me down, I blamed him! Like you, I was able to withstand TW (for most of the show) because JJH was well cast as the loving, handsome husband that turned out to have a very dark secret. JJH is getting acclaim for playing the role, so I should be happy for him as an ahjumma fan girl.

So why was my reaction so visceral? I've started other shows with JJH and not been able to finish. Second to Last Love was a very mediocre drama especially as a fan of the original J-drama and you couldn't pay me to watch Blood. I liken watching Misty to having been through a car crash. In the beginning, I couldn't believe my good luck to be cruising along in a luxury sports car, then the investigative and legal errors kept cropping up and the car began to rattle and shake, next came the nonsense and logic holes about Kevin's death and the car started to smoke, and lastly TW refusing to confess and committing suicide made the car explode and burst into flames with me in it!:lol:

So my problem is with the writing being both very compelling and awful. I take issue with a number of the characters, but because JJH is my favorite, TW's character arc or reveal or whatever really pissed me off. @kdyes (I wondered where you went!). @40somethingahjumma and @Carmarie have well articulated many of the reasons why. Chief among them, TW seemed to have a drastic change and exhibited a lack of character that doesn't comport with him being a righteous lawyer and decent person. TW gave up being a prosecutor and the riches of big firm private practice to serve the poor and came from a family of Supreme Court justices. It may seem laughable, but the first rule of professional responsibility for American lawyers is: "A lawyer, as a member of the legal profession, is a representative of clients, an officer of the legal system and a public citizen having special responsibility for the quality of justice." For TW with his background and moral code to ignore this and many, many other things, like basic human decency to Kevin's life or MW's potential execution to keep HR by his side, doesn't make sense and renders TW completely awful to me.

I've been thinking about where my line was with TW. Earlier on, I also noticed that he had an explosive anger and was emotionally shut down with an upbringing that was likely the cause. I also thought that that he might be the killer and kept watching as it didn't bother me that much. I think the show crossed the line for me when we finally see how Kevin died. First, it is irrelevant, but watching TW shove Kevin into the wall and accidentally kill him was not believable and even looked cartoonish (Kevin had a very fragile skull!). After 15 episodes of speculating, I would have preferred it if TW had bashed him in the head or drove him off the road. It was the wimpy result of a jealous man fight and TW's response of freaking out, driving aimlessly and driving Kevin's car into the pole just added to the pile. I can't even understand why that was TW's response. There are many other things he should have done then (call 911, or if he's truly an richard simmons, leave the scene) and later on (talk to HR, confess). And to cap it all off with suicide made TW especially pathetic. 

The writer spent so much time and energy on keeping us guessing and throwing out those various profundities. I would have preferred that we found out earlier that TW was the killer. We could have seen his struggle with his conscience. Or his realization that HR cared more about whether he remained a fighter for truth and justice than whether he seemed "perfect" to her. For him to do the painful thing and turn himself in, whether they faced public embarrassment or not.

BTW, way to destroy HR's character for me too when she is hesitating about TW turning himself in and allows MW to take the blame. I guess TW and HR are both shown suffering for that choice, but blech!

Edit: My last sentence makes me wonder. Someone else may have already asked, but why was TW going to appear on HR's show? Are we to guess that he may have been appearing to confess? To save MW's life? Or was he just going to appear as her super popular husband?

2 hours ago, pompyavi said:

Can anyone tell me how is this drama called 'Love me if you dare'?

I liked it a lot but some found the part in America jarring. Try Soompi Entertainment Mainland China for more on the drama.

For me there are 4 main sections of this drama.  Hr past life relations, KL and MW, Hr News Nine reporter extraordinaire and station ensemble, the crime itself investigation and justice system, Hr and Tw. Subsections, were the Hwanil Steel, Golden Door, and Hr's inlaws. 

The story is given huge strength by the wonderful powerful acting of KNJ.  I was mesmerized by her portrayal of a fabulous and exceptional individual.

The strongest section is in my view the New Nine team and all the interactions between these reporters. The jealousy, bacl stabbing, trust and bonds, comaraderie.

The weakest section was for me the investigation and justice system.  The detective starts out as an interesting character. He instinctively knows that KL's death was not accidental but a murder, which turns out is correct, but the suspicions about his ability to objectively and fairly investigate is immediately felt by us because he just jumps to the conclusion that it was Hr who murdered him based on a brooch in the car, and that he didn't like her because she was somehow involved with the death of a jeweler 19 years before.    He then pursues her, and her alone, doesn't do any of the tedious meticulous background checking of what was going at the time of the crime, doesn't check cell phone records, cctv pictures etc.  Just one track obsessed focus on Hr.   He even leaks to the news that the death was a murder before an autopsy was even done, and it was assumed an accident, but even goes further to leak HR was the prime suspect.  Crazy. Then the prosecutor's office is given its marching papers by the exclusive Golden Door club, to have Hr charged with murder, no matter what the evidence.  Then we are given a confusing path, when  Hr is offered the station manager job, and she accepts as long as she gets off at the trial.  This was never explained. Was the witness a shill?  And so obviously lying to get Hr off?  Could a brilliant and ambitious prosecutor really be dumb enough not to background check his own witness?   Why would a detective ask the prosecutor to ask the witness if he saw a man or a woman arguing when it is so obvious part of questioning in the first place!!!!  It appears this witness or someone else did see the fight but this witness adds on that he saw Hr there too because it just so happens he had a grudge against her. Oy, this was difficult to take.  I could go on and on about this section of the drama because it was all so FRUSTRATING MISDIRECTING and even IDIOTIC .

The next section Hr's history and KL  and Mw:   From the start, Hr is in a cold marriage and she is day dreaming about the heat and passion of a past lover.  That turns out to be KL, and we learn she dumped him because she felt he had no future and would somehow burden her and hold her back from her goals.  We see her visit a young man in prison who we learn goes to jail because he killed a jeweler and we are given murky info about the crime, it  very much appears that Hr could have been the murderer and we don't know. That theory is impressed on us because her mother speaks about "Your secret".   HUGE MISDIRECTION because we are never at any point given to understand what that "secret" was that her mother was speaking about.

Finally MW, we know he killed for Hr and or went to jail for her crime.  We know he passed up opptys to get out of jail earlier and only takes the oppty to leave when hears about the investigation of KL's death.  We don't know much else about him. Gave his school money to Hr, eventually became a lawyer in prison.  A very strange character.  We only learn very late in the series that Hr's mother had several boyfriends who used and abused her because she thought they "loved" her and Hr was suspicious of all love. That was revealed I think MUCH  TO LATE in show, to explain Hr's odd relations with men in her past.  Was that the real reason she left KL? or his lack of ambition?  Was that the real reason she married Tw? because she didn't love him?   How could she mistrust love when Mw went to jail for her?  Not consistent and confusing, I think.  Mw was crazy. He was to the point of lunacy obsessed with Hr.  Whether he left all those pictures or not  purposely or not - didn't matter, he obviously was a homicidal nut case, killing, bashing and threatening for Hr and Hr alone.  Handsome brilliant and charming, perhaps, but ultimately a psycho.

EJ knew men adored Hr from their youth. But she liked Hr herself. The worm turns when she realizes that her husband and Hr were lovers in the past. But as pointed out in this thread when EJ threatens Hr with the blackbox video, she knows that that the video was proof that HR DID NOT DO THE MURDER - so why the signage and the statements in the trial?  I can only suppose she believed the "witness". 

The section about Hr and Tw relationship.  I would say second to the investigation about the weakest section, although always intriguing to watch.   We see that Tw was entranced by a young ambitious reporter.  He waits a very very long time to see her, and even after she says she doesn't love him, tells her to use him and his influence as she wished, just to marry him.    So this man pretty much says "I will be your slave".   She accepts.   But at the very least these two who started out their marriage in such a harsh type of contract - you be my adored trophy and I will back you with money and power -  these two should have remained brutally honest and open about what went on.    Tw is hurt when he gives his wife a beautiful brooch because she is pregnant and she announces the baby was a burden considering her career aspiration, so instead I will take the brooch as a further token of your unconditional love!   But their marriage appears to sour at this point and gets colder and colder.  Tw even prepares divorce papers.    BUT THEN THE CRIME

Apparently Tw's ego cannot take it anymore. Perhaps he followed Hr to Thailand to patch things up and help her blue house aspirations, and wanted to give it one more try.  But because he and Hr have no communications whatsoever he is kept in the dark about KL and Hr in the past -   why?  She told him she had many other men in her life before they married!  Why did she keep in secret from him?  Couldn't he at least be a confident???  Perhaps because of the coldness, but really difficult plot point.

He becomes suspicious of her and follows her.  He sees KL get into Hr's car in the garage scene.  Did he think they made love in the front seat of the car?  He could not see into the car in the darkness there, so what?  There was rendez-vous but he becomes super distressed and goes nuts.  He finds her stretched out asleep on the sofa  - WHY DIDN"T HE WAKE HER UP AND ASK HER WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH YOU AND KL???    No instead he takes her brooch and runs out and gets in his car.  Where was he going?  To KL's house for a showdown there?  Why take the brooch with him?  But on the road he saw KL driving somewhere to meet someoine(SOMETHING THE WRITER NEVER TELLS US - WHERE  K WAS GOING AND  WHO WAS HE GOING TO SEE??). He drives after him and the rest is history. EDIT:  Thinking about it, he may just have been going back to his office, and only took the brooch back out of resentment.

My final analysis.  As much as I admire JJH  - I think it may be combo of his acting and the writer's misdirection that his character was not revealed to us more, just how the worm turned in him.   It was pointed out here by others, that he became very protective of Hr and seemed to shed his coldness as soon as she is brought into the police station for questioning.  WAS THAT HIS PLAN?

We know he took the brooch!   What did he plan to do with it?  Take it back because she didn't deserve it?   WE NEVER ARE SHOWN WHETHER TW DELIBERATELY LEFT THE BROOCH IN THE CAR  - OR -  IF HE LOST IT WHEN HE TRANSFERRED THE BODY THERE AND PLANNED TO DIE WITH KL (that is what he said he was doing when he rammed the car into the lamp post).  

So it is at some point that TW actually decides to help his wife and to win her back with his support and "unconditional" love - even using his connections to the golden door club to protect her, even though he did not like using those connections as a matter of his own ethical standards. He even left the prestige of the prosecutor's office to help the underclass as a defender. Let's remember that HR told him at the dinner, to mention he had been a prosecutor because it was more prestigious. So we do see her using him as a trophy of her own, to maintain social standing.  Was she the fighter for truth and underdog? or really just looking for social prestige and power herself?  Did she just use social standing to fight for the truth?

I think if we saw the inner mechanisms of Tw  and how he thought and felt, and even knew earlier on he was the murderer and could watch his psychology change it would have been a more compelling ending, or at least I could have accepted his final suicide.    Too many unknowns. I think the writer should have let us seen more and then could have more feeling for the characters at the end and their decisions.

OK, I think I have vented enough.  All of this stuff was churning in my mind.   I would like to end with a quote from @40somethingahjumma  who is spot on with the ultimate discordant part of this storyine:

But what about all the people who know that TW is Kev's killer... Chief Jang, HR, MW, Office Manager, Reporter Yoon... they're all keeping their lips sealed presumably to protect the couple.

What about truth? Justice? All the things that were important for 15 episodes... Journalistic integrity and all that jazz. I mean that's why they went after the big wigs in government, Hwanil Steel, Kang Yool and JBC... right? So it was just all empty words to impress?

I do not know if this was the original ending.  Remember part of this drama was pre-produced. This gave the actors and production team time to make a quality product.  That might be why the last few episodes felt different.  I think that writers rushed the last scripts. They probably wanted to gauge the public's reaction before writing the last episodes.  Whatever the reasoning, it did not work and I am left disappointed.

I think I am going to find an historical fantasy drama to watch next.  Then I will not have any expectations and anything that happens is okay because it is a fantasy drama.  I will not have to worry about logic when people are flying, casting spells or using magic to affect outcomes.  If anyone knows of a good one fantasy drama, let me know.  I have already watched Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms.  Right now I have had it with the mediocre endings.  

7 minutes ago, Carmarie said:

I do not know if this was the original ending.  Remember part of this drama was pre-produced. This gave the actors and production team time to make a quality product.  That might be why the last few episodes felt different.  I think that writers rushed the last scripts. They probably wanted to gauge the public's reaction before writing the last episodes.  Whatever the reasoning, it did not work and I am left disappointed.

I think I am going to find an historical fantasy drama to watch next.  Then I will not have any expectations and anything that happens is okay because it is a fantasy drama.  I will not have to worry about logic when people are flying, casting spells or using magic to affect outcomes.  If anyone knows of a good one fantasy drama, let me know.  I have already watched Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms.  Right now I have had it with the mediocre endings.  

I liked Gu Family Book

10 hours ago, Carmarie said:

Feel the same. The synopsis was totally misleading. It said they would fall back in love. Most of the plot holes are already pointed out by people here. Would like to add to that. 

1. When HR dumped KL, he said her to live happily because he would be watching her over. I didn't get the gist of that.

2. Why did Kang yool CEO came to meet TW's father? And what was that how much he should help.

After suspecting it was TW, I did go back and watched his reaction when he heard that KL died. His reaction was like a shock. Totally opposite to what we saw when the witness said that he saw two men fighting. I think the writer did not want to make him as the culprit, initially she might have planned to turn it a accident at the end. But she thought of giving it an unexpected misty kind of ending. Someone here pointed out that last two episodes seems from a different drama. 

The next thing is when he left prosecution office for being righteousness, how can he cover up a murder. Did not make sense to me. It seemed like he's a totally different character from what we saw. And his plan of dying together with him. Common man there are other ways to die. He could have come under a train. Why bash the car on to the pole? In the end the writer just messed up his character.

Now Hye Ran, we saw her as the fierce and courageous woman. Where was her courage when Myung Woo killed for her? She could have said what exactly happened. Instead she kept quiet. Then again, when Eun Joo confronted her, she totally blamed KL saying it was a sexual assault. Then again she did not tell anything about Kl to her husband. We saw her taking on the big aristocats. More or less her character was also wasted.

The only character that was consistent was that detective. He was dumb from the beginning to the end of the show. From pinning Hye Ran as prime suspect to letting Myung Woo take blame. Myung Woo said he hired a henchman to kill for him while he was in jail. Couldn't he enquire about that? But as I said he was dumb so it's okay for me.

I compared this drama to secret forest for a while (till ep 11). But no this no where matches that. Secret forest was a gripping one, we got our answers immediately in that. It didn't complicate the plot by involving all the genres. They stuck to the synopsis and the genre. But here the writer complicated everything by adding all the genres. If it was the story of HR and TW she should have stuck to that, instead of creating unnecessary twists and turns.

Edit: In my opinion the writer definitely wanted to highlight that excess of anything is toxic. But couldn't do it properly. Instead it became the otherwise. Being ambitious doesn't mean that a woman would neglect her husband. But Hye Ran was portrayed as a character who is completely obsessed with success and she would go to any length for that. Tae Wook wanted to be a good man to her. And that's why instead of confronting his wife, he confronted kl. Confronting your partner does not mean you are not a good person. It means you are just clearing misunderstanding. Lastly were both of their mistakes that big that they absolutely did not have any chances to start over? That means anybody who does mistake and also realise that doesn't deserve any second chance? Even if the writer had made TW confessed to his crime and in the trial HR would have come clean about her actions, I would have ignored the plot holes. Yes HR could have lost her job and TW definitely would have got his licence cancelled. But that was the correct price they should have paid. 

I think the experience of we who have followed the show for 8 weeks and bingewatchers seems to be different.....

A friend I recommended MISTY to has just called me up after watching episode 16. After a three day marathon... She's absolutely shookt...... apparently she didn't see it coming.  She had suspicions,  but the end hit her like a ton of bricks. She's a mess. MISTY was the ride of a lifetime for her.

I got her into dramas, and she got others in her office into dramas, so I'm like the drama Unnie in her office. One of these colleagues is on episode 11, and my friend was whispering on the phone because she didn't want her colleague to hear our discussion...:D. She's also smitten with Go Hye Ran. She now wants to watch more Kim Nam Joo dramas. Korea will not let us prosper!! See our lives now!! 

I have not given my opinion of the ending to her. And I WILL NOT!!:blush:. So, being the veteran drama watcher, I have given her a recommendation of what to watch next. But the secret of episode 16 will go to the grave with me.

I guess it's a case of potayto vs potahto...... 

Unfortunately, I have recommended MISTY to another friend who is a ninja viewer of TV. she can smell plot holes and analyse TV like a Hollywood critic. this is her first drama, so I am sure her criticism will burn. I don't know how I'll convince her that dramas are not trash after this!!!:ph34r:. I'm terrified of her reaction! After finally wearing her down, episode 16 is what she'll get for her first drama? Pray for me y'all!! 

Archived