[Drama 2018] Misty 미스티

Go Seung Ji

14 minutes ago, triplem said:

@justamom can you tell me what you think and saw? I'm confused and is this an open ending???

I'm just as lost as you, still waiting for the raw. 

But on Naver they're all talking about Kang Tae Wook ending his life, and Go Joon, Ji Jin Hee etc all said this was a closed ending.

So my guess is he confessed to the murder before Myung Woo's trial and then ended his life to take responsibility. And that it wasn't an easy year that whole time with Hye Ran, living with his guilt.

That's my best hope - that he resolved things so Myung Woo could come out a free man and take care of Hye Ran.

Edit: raw is up! going to watch now

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, I was fine with TW being the killer. It made sense to me. MW taking the fall made sense too. Not thrilled with HR accepting it or TW committing suicide. HR was all about truth and justice in the news and TW couldn't live with what he'd done so I would have liked her and TW to do an interview exposing what really happened and it ending with that. 

40 minutes ago, triplem said:

But isn't Myung Woo guilty for the manager's murder? Or did the manager really killed himself? So how could Myung Woo come out and take care of HR? 

Just my wishful thinking :cold_sweat:

Just finished the first scene. Well what can I say. Kevin Lee really provoked him.

"My wife? My family? That's just business. Hye Ran wants love. To be missed, to be wanted, to be held. My wife? You've got to be kidding me."

If you go back to the start of the show....that's exactly what their marriage was like, cold, estranged, and loveless. Kevin Lee hit right at Kang Tae Wook's sore spot - his guilt about their marriage and how he had treated Hye Ran, like a business arrangement, when deep inside he still loved her, he'd just forgotten about it, forgotten to show it, forgotten that it was possible to love her. That's why he erupted.

Whether he could have taken down a mighty sportsman, like many Korean viewers have also said, I am highly skeptical. Perhaps it could have been better choreographed.

So I just skipped to the ending because it's way past my bedtime, but...WTF!!!!

Spoiler

KTW ending his life, and the final line is GHR turning to the camera with tears in her eyes, and KTW asking

"Go Hye Ran, are you happy?"

I don't get it, I really don't. Why did the writer go out on such a pessimistic note? I'd rather he turn himself in than kill himself. 

Myself, and many other women have worshipped GHR in this show because she dared to do, dared to go where no other woman has gone.

And the lesson, moral of the story, is that this is the cost? This isn't worth it? The fight will only end in sorrow? WTF?!?!

I don't what that ending was. Myung Woo taking the blame for Tae Wook and Hye Ran. Kang Tae Wook and Hye Ran suffered till the end. Only if Hye Ran would have been upfront with Tae Wook from the start. Also if Tae wook would have continued treating Hye Ran like he used to, but I understand that it would have been difficult for him. He thought he could make her fall in love, but she remained cold. Also am happy about that he didn't keep the brooch intentionally. He really did love her. And he killed Kevin Lee accidentally. Also he wanted to die with him. That he did in the end. 

As far as Myung Woo is concerned I think he would have stayed in jail, even if none of this message would have happened. He deliberately created trouble delaying his release.

I just finished watching episode 16 raw. 

Well. 

When will I learn to lower my expectations? I definitely expected Misty to pull something more impressive for the ending. 

I thank the team behind Misty for giving me weeks of entertainment. I thank the cast for their excellent performance. 

But I just don’t have anything good to say about the finale! Nothing felt “right.” 

Tae Wook, no redemption there. I mean I guess it’s nice to know that he didn’t exactly intend to kill Kevin. But I can’t believe him? I can’t believe they just suicided him off at the end? 

Myung Woo - gosh where do I even start? I absolutely hate how he turned himself in for TW. Like no, you turn yourself in for Dong Hyun (that’s assuming MW truly killed Dong Hyun) and let TW turn himself in for Kevin. 

And when he said that “start of everything = Eunju,” I didn’t understand. So MW killed the jewelry store dude because EJ said the money borrowing thing was suspicious, that the jewelry store man was a Bad Fellow who hits on girls a lot? (I believe this is what she says) 

Eun Joo didn’t say anything... wrong? It didn’t seem like she was full of malice or jealousy? She didn’t exaggerate anything?! Sure, maybe she had a huge crush on MW and was jealous of HR, but on that night, I don’t see how she purposely made it so that MW killed the store owner/worker. MW did that to himself. I canNot believe that MW said that if Eun Joo hadn’t said that that night, he and Hye Ran might be living completely different lives. Excuse me, MW, Eun Joo’s words were not an OK signal for you to go and kipp the store owner/worker. That should never have been your first reaction. You barely even spoke to Hye Ran before barging in there... 

Of course we never find out why Eun Joo knows about the heaven knocking song? Even if she did witness something bad happening before, I truly don’t see how she provoked MW to kill the shop owner/worker. If anything, EJ was terrible for not protecting her “friend,” Hye Ran, from the jewelry store man’s... advances, harassment, whatever. I firmly believe she didn’t tell MW with the intention of getting him to do something irreversible and criminal. 

What is even to become of Hye Ran after all of this? Is she not going to be damaged beyond relief? Was her ambition really that much of a sin? For god sake, she never even killed anyone in her pursuit of the blue house position! :angry: She’s far from perfect, but I refuse to believe she “deserves” all of this for her ambitious, calculating ways. If the message of Misty is to not get so caught up in success and work and everything... ugh. HR didn’t ask MW to kill. She was cruel to break up with Kevin the way she did, but honestly? It was up to her anyway. She has all the right to break up with someone. And TW? She didn’t ask him to kill Kevin, she didn’t want him to kill Kevin, and their broken marriage wasn’t solely her fault. 

So when Hye Ran’s mother said that she knew Hye Ran’s secret—what was the secret? Hye Ran didn’t kill the jewelry store dude? Was HR’s mother referring to the entire money exchange? Or was she implying that she knew that “MW killed for HR”? 

So the blue gloves were really just product placement? Did I somehow miss something in the final episode or did they really not answer why Hye Ran was shaking that night and why Eun Joo called Hye Ran the night Kevin was murdered TW? 

Anyway, I don’t think TW ever really tried to frame HR for murder. He just couldn’t confess/own up to his crime. Maybe he was kind to her because of his guilt, but I don’t think his intention was to frame his wife. Bah. So much for his righteous prosecutor -> public defender image. 

On the very bright side, thank you everyone for your wonderful comments each week! I really enjoyed reading everyone’s thoughts. I can’t believe I actually participated in one of these soompi drama discussions! I’m going to miss this discussion :( 

———

Wait! How did Myung Woo ever know that Tae Wook was the guilty one? Intuition from experience? 

1 hour ago, justamom said:

Whether he could have taken down a mighty sportsman, like many Korean viewers have also said, I am highly skeptical. Perhaps it could have been better choreographed.

Reveal hidden contents

KTW ending his life, and the final line is GHR turning to the camera with tears in her eyes, and KTW asking

"Go Hye Ran, are you happy?"

I don't get it, I really don't. Why did the writer go out on such a pessimistic note? I'd rather he turn himself in than kill himself. 

Myself, and many other women have worshipped GHR in this show because she dared to do, dared to go where no other woman has gone.

And the lesson, moral of the story, is that this is the cost? This isn't worth it? The fight will only end in sorrow? WTF?!?!

Hahaha, I was also side-eyeing this scene. 

And what you said in the hidden content thing—I really feel you. :( NOT the kind of message I wanted to get from this drama. NOT the kind of message I wanted Hye Ran to get out of the whole ordeal. 

edit: Maybe the show wasn’t trying to put down ambition/daring women? Perhaps the show was trying say 

1. life is more than just business...

2. love and relationships shouldn’t be the last priority? 

3. do not kill people

4. trust and communication was ridiculously important :angry::angry::angry:

OH NO WHAT DO I DO. I meant for this post to be a part of the post I just created - I meant to edit this into the last post, but I messed up and it posted by itself. WHAT DO I DO

T-there’s no delete option

Put the emotion aside, I am pretty OK with the ending. I still don’t think TW really loves HR, or better to say he loves himself more than HR. No man will take advantage from his loved one by trying to appear as a hero when HR was accused. He knows that by doing so, HR might see him in a different view. So, still all is to satisfy his ego.

Yes, it started from a hurt pride & ego, resulted to argument and ended with KL lost his life. Yet, he let HR took the accusation. 

I see TW killed himself not because the guilt eats him up but because he knows that HR will see him in a different light, he sees that this time he will lost HR totally. Shame takes his life. And if by end of the day HR doesn’t realize how much damage her ambition has caused to the people around her, than wow. With TW taking his own life in the tunnel (so I assumed), this will leave HR with a forever guilty feelings and regret with a if only.....statement for the rest of her life. This alone made me see TW as a sophisticated jerk and redemeed HR a bit in my view.

This has become like unfaithful movie with a tweak at the ending so it looks more dramatic.

All in all, I like this drama and appreciate JJH & KNJ and the rest of the cast acting. But I like the actor who plays news director the most.

Now I need to console my mil who can’t accept TW’s death and JJH is too handsome to play a tragic hubby:D

What's with writers these days? Thought this was supposed to be a romance thriller not a tragedy.  Hard not to take the message that strong ambitious beautiful capable women cause heartbreak and death. So irritating. Thought the acting/production was top notch but what a sad disappointing ending for all the characters. Do any of them walk away happy? Have only watched raw so maybe outcome will seem less sad with subs?

Greetings, All...

Chickpea here.  Haven't been following the weekly blogs but I had to log in here to see how the drama ended...  until I just watched the raw...  now, I don't speak Korean but...

They titled this drama wrong.  It should have been titled "Hye Ran of JBC" you know, like Helen of Troy only instead of the woman whose face launched a thousand ships, Hye Ran is the woman who causes every man who gets close to her to commit murder, mayhem and death and who leaves a trail of heartbreak and broken families in her wake in her pursuit for the facts and News Nine.  The result is the same for Hye Ran and Helen... only the magnitude is different but, then, Tae Wook is just a lawyer not a king.  And Helen won't have to deal with TW's mother so... I think she got the better deal...

Really, though, as much as I am disappointed with the ending--it looks like Hye Ran never outgrew her school girl crush for MW and is actually in love with News Nine to the exclusion of all the men in her life--I thoroughly enjoyed the show.  The acting was magnificent and it was good to see JJH in a role so different from others I've seen him in.  And KNJ, as a gorgeous middle-aged professional woman, had me pumping my fist for girl power all throughout the drama.

Other thoughts...  So, did MW come back in to HR's life to "protect" her from TW?  What is that office manager going to tell his wife now?  What's the moral of the story?  That HR ruins the life and family of every man who falls for her?  TW should have listened to his Momma.  I actually thought the culprit was going to the manager who killed when it looked like he lost his meal ticket and that EJ left the broach in KL's car to frame HR.  And, remind me again... who put the black box footage in KL's pocket?  I find it odd that, knowing what was on it, HR would let him take it out of her unit and put it in his pocket that fateful night.  And, sorry, but I just don't like EJ.  She strikes me as just too spiteful for a woman who could have prevented all of this by just keeping her husband on a short leash especially since she knew he was a womanizer.  Can't say the world isn't a better place without KL.  Where, oh where, can I find a man like MW?  Is the moral that upright people do bad things or that the only moral person here is HR... a point I would take issue with.  My favorite character in this drama is HR's boss at JBC...  everyone else, except maybe the young reporter with a crush on HR, seems to not know the difference between the pursuit of facts and the pursuit of truth.  My favorite line in the drama was TW's closing in which he pointed out how everyone was missing the point.. facts can be--and are, especially in the media these days--made up, manufactured and misinterpreted to achieve an end, especially by exceptionally driven and ambitious people.  Facts aren't truth, they're just facts.  Truth is something quieter, larger and more important.  When you focus on the noise--as reporters working with soundbites do--or when you become immersed in your own interpretation of "evidence" (i.e., your opinion of what the evidence means instead of what the evidence shows) as the cop does--then what gets lost is truth and we all pay the cost for that as society fractures.  

I haven't watched the ending yet--don't have the heart--but I did read the spoilers above--thank you by the way from someone who doesn't yet have the heart to watch the ending.  In my mind, I will refuse to believe that TW commits suicide but, then, why else would MW say that once you've committed the first murder each following one is easy.  If TW thinks he killed KL (as opposed to an accident occurred resulting in KL's death), then killing himself is the next, easy logical step.  And if he is just trying to finish what he attempted that fateful night with KL in the car, then this man has been suffering depression for a very long time and it breaks my heart to think someone as good and gifted and decent as TW would be brought low by the likes of KL, EJ and, yes, even HR.

Oh, well, I guess the morals of the drama are:   (1) Mother always knows best;  (2) Only the good die young (in KL's case, the "good for nothing") and (3) that song had it right:  "if you want to be happy for the rest of your life, don't make a pretty woman your wife..."

Cheers.

I am really disappointed with the ending since it sends the wrong message in the end. Indirectly, GHR as a strong, independent and ambitious woman becomes somehow responsible that men became murderers. TW's pride was hurt, he saw GHR as a possession aso as she didn't fall in love with him as expected. If she had loved him and stayed at home... or even if she hadn't hurt KL's ego by breaking up with him, then nothing of it would have never happened. The result is there is an underlying misogynistic message. I liked the drama because of the main character but due the ending, I feel somehow betrayed. No, this drama doesn't show the true meaning of love, quite the opposite...

I loved the drama. I have not seen it subbed yet but I think the message is that women are strong, capable ambitious and successful but a balanced life is important. Relationships add value to one's life. True valuable relationships are built on love, trust, honesty and openness.  Relationships are not built on using one another for greed, ambition, or vanity. Jealousy, mistrust, confrontations and day to day problems happen in any marriage but deception, half truths and denial will not foster a sustaining healthy relationship. I like the fact that our lead actress was not a meek, clueless female but a complicated flawed human who was exceptional at what she did professionally. HR is not every female, but she represents a large segment of women in the world. Is this drama misogynistic? If anything it portrayed men in a negative light. Rushing in an protecting the female like she does not have brains of her own. Women can think, run corporations, be housewives or not,  love who they want and have children and families too if they choose. Life is complicated. Can't wait to see it subbed.

Why does it feel like they wanted to do a different ending but chickened out? And if this is REALLY the ending they plan for, it truly is a bad case of edit. The show managed to turn all of its characters into pathetic people.

I suppose the plan was to have TW as the murderer all along. I'm fine with that. But why give him THAT ending? SK already has the highest suicide rate in the world. Why give an ending (no matter how ambiguous) that glorifies that? Why not just send him to jail? At least that is a little more honourable.

@seaaple  HR did kill someone her unborn child. She didn't even talk to TW that she was going to do that,  just because she did'n want to be sick. It was in the way of her career:wink:. In a curtain way they were all a bunch of selfish people.

Ep. 15:- If It's Too Good To Be True, It Probably Is.

This quote immediately came to mind upon watching this mind numbing ep. Can't say I was surprised tbh since Myung-Woo dropped the bombshell in an earlier ep. Still I am like Hye-Ran, very much in denial.... I did think Tae-Wook's insistence in helping Hye-Ran a tad fishy, given their relationship history but I just dismissed it as a noble act of love or whatever. When really he was looking to cover up his tracks! UGH Damn you Jin-Hee misleading me with your fine physique & charm LoL! Again I pity Hye-Ran in all this I really do... and that ***** Eun-Joo oh my Lord. She just loves playing that Victim Card to the MAX I tell ya! 

As usual Eun-Joo will NEVER admit to ANYTHING well..because she's screwed up. I'd say she was the instigator in all this. If she only made the right choices, played her part right, did the right thing maybe there wouldn't be such a mess & maybe she wouldn't be such a spiteful, bitter *****. But then we wouldn't have a drama I guess LoL?!?! 

Wow with reading the posts above me, the majority seem pretty heated over the finale LoL. Hmm I've come too far to drop this, I need to see this through no matter how painfully ridiculous it may be...    

Just done watching the finale & aish tsk. I'm not sure what to make of it. I think the Drama is sending out the message that women shouldn't aim far higher than they should and that they should all just remain docile and perfect spouses to the very end OY. If that isn't sexist I don't know what is LoL. And that damn idiotic Detective! IF he had done his job right, IF he hadn't gone round cornering everyone, IF he didn't force down everyone's throats with made-up assumptions etc, would that have saved Tae-Wook?? Would Myung-Woo not have to be the sacrificial lamb?? Would Eun-Joo grow a conscience? Would I gain my sanity back? I don't know....  In the end we all live with our choices, mine for choosing to stick to the end with this Drama. No matter how much a derailment it was...it is still a K-Drama after all. What was I expecting LoL? 

Anyway, Adios to all here. It has been fun. XO.

53 minutes ago, dramaninja said:

Not a good start for drama endings this year yeessh! :unsure:

I agree completely. I feel like this year in particular there’s been a row of bad endings for kdramas. It’s as if there’s a talent needed in simply the making of a good ending.

Ghr worked so hard to help maintain tw and his family honour.

tw ruined it for both of them. 

There can be no impressive ending when the culprit is tw. 

I’ve accepted the ending. Mw taking a life and absorbing another is the same to him. 

Ej got to see ghr pitiful face, i think she is the only one who walks away gaining from everything because that was her prize. 

How ghr will continue living is a question. But her newsroom is her family. She has a legacy. Tw even though it was a marriage it was almost like a fling. 

She will continue to move on. Director jang  despite knowing the truth will bury it with him since ghr is family. 

I believe ghr will get over tw death somehow. 

Archived