[Drama 2017-2018] I am not a Robot, 로봇이 아니

Admin

Pre-order period is only 10 days. if the number of buyers fail to meet the required number for  production of the blue-rays, we  will fail to buy it. If you want to get the BlueRay for I'm Not A Robot, please don't hesitate.

• 1 year later...

Started watching this yesterday and I'm beginning to see why the ratings were on the low side. The acting of the lead male could be considered over acting and irritating. The early jokes about breast size and the placement of Aji 3's battery pack was most probably not well received by many people. But having said that I like Chae Soo Bin as Cho Ji-ah.

Binge watched the final 8 episodes and while I still find the lead male irritating, I find the drama quite entertaining and honestly surprised why it did not do well in South Korea. I checked and it has quite a high rating in Viki. My favorite scene was when Ji-a spoke her heart out to the guy after the guy was in the process of leaving her for good. The power of saying I love you has been proven time and time again and this wasn’t an exception. I also find the kiss much better than most kdramas I’ve watched. 

• 5 months later...

Hello. This is my first post here.  I watched this this Spring during covid lockdown because of Yoo Seung Ho, and became even a bigger fan of his.  

I watched most of his adult works and I must say that I like him most in IANAR.

Hi  @Bojun you wrote that you found him overacting,  which I am surprise to hear.  He started acting when he was 7 so he is a natural. He used to be called Korea's little brother.  Can you specify which scene felt overacting?

As for me, after reading dramabeans commentaries and viewer reviews,  I realized all the more why I love IANAR so much, and more specifically, why I became fascinated by the depth of emotions I witnessed through YSH's acting in this drama. 

On the surface, this drama sounds silly and UNREALISTIC.   About a man falling in love with a robot???  But the more you watch,  you realize its not about a robot.   No, this drama is about a human monster who falls in love  with a robot-like woman and starts healing.  Sounds familiar?  Yes, like Beauty and the Beast. 

Like that Beast, MK was imprisoned in his castle unable to interact with others for 15 years.  YSH portrayed such a character.   A child like monster.  Socially awkward and scared to show his weakness to others.  This monster,  after meeting Jia, starts opening up. But the process isn't easy.(SPOILER)

When the truth comes out (epu 25): that all the new found freedom and love were based on lies, the monster returns ever so furiously.  Rawwrring in pain, bleeding tears (literally). Next episode, we witness a Shakespearean type of monologue.  He was baring his soul: I am angry because I love you.

For me, he deserves standing ovation for that kind of acting. 

And slowly,  through much love,  open dialogue and forgiveness,  true healing begins.   I watched in total awe at this transformation.   It was a true metamorphosis.   The monster became a prince charming.

And Jia, she truly was like Bell,  independent and assertive.   This drama at first, felt like diminishing women to robot like relationships.  But in the end,  it was about women's power,  and how they are able, through dialogue,  to fix and change the world 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't usually re-watch kdramas except for Hotel del Luna, but 2 years after first watching I Am Not A Robot I'm watching it again because of Chae Soo-bin. I'm actually surprised why I previously said I didn't like the overacting of the male lead. Maybe because this was one of the first kdramas I've watched and not used to it yet. The chemistry between the two leads is quite good and having watched maybe 50 kdramas I can say it has one of the best dialogues I've seen. 

Kim Min-kyu's angry dialogue before throwing the glass to the glass display and injuring Ji-a was gut-wrenching while Ji-a's dialogue when Kim Min-kyu was about to leave her for good in the mountain was heart-warming. Watching it the second time around, I'm surprised that it bombed out in South Korea.