[Drama 2017-2018] Just Between Lovers 그냥 사랑하는 사이

Go Seung Ji

@ktcjdrama  Thank you for your views and welcome to the thread and this drama. This wonder beautiful drama!  the story, the  pain the trauma, how damaged GD was and feeling the misery of horrible accident.  It's not just GD it's everyone of the leads has been affected. GD MS JW.. and even MS father and the mother to the point that  parents separated and the father wanting a divorce. Again and again the mood, t cinematography and camera work, framing of the scenes and the music and the writing, and the sentiments of this drama all beautiful done wonderfully acted by the actors. That's what makes this drama  high quality.

@Mau_Cherry thanks for recap w/ screen caps.

To all chingus here thanks for recaps  updates and translations. I'll share my thoughts  later. Like Caroline,  am also busy with real life stuff s i haven't actually watched the ep 12 but TGIF so.. gonna have time.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Welcome on board dear. Loved your analysis but is it possible for JW and YJ  to be a couple when their parents are a couple already unless such is recognised in korea.They actually liked each other but the circumstance they found themselves made them drift apart especially JW. YJ want them to be secret lovers though. Also that family caused him his father. Even if his mum didn't marry the chairman,he wouldn't have continued after witnessing what happened to his father. He recently disowned his mother thanks to the family. So much pain and entanglement. 

U know,despite the fact that he presented a calm front, I feel for him a lot. He might not be involved in the accident but he bears the weight of everybody involved on behalf of his father. As if that wasn't enough, the only person he has went ahead to marry his enemy citing one useless reason of not wanting to be alone. He don't have anybody. So virtually alone. I was even hoping he will look towards the direction  of that his female staff that is going crazy cos of him. Just that the babe is too vain. Aish.  Or develop interest in GD sis. He is already in a bromance with GD. And eventually when daddy and mummy MS comes around,they can be parents to all of them. (I'm day dreaming a lot). This drama makes one to be so emotional. 

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Just Between Lovers" Episode 11

photo933476.jpg

Kang-doo has been forced to acknowledge the death of someone he genuinely, deeply cared about. Kang-doo does not take the news very well, and most of this episode is just an exercise in the other characters trying their best to calm him down. Which works, sort of. After an initial violent outburst Kang-doo is quite subdued, and seems willing to accept that which was always inevitable. But one way or another, Kang-doo always twists the situation around so as to maximize the self-hatred.

This is something all the other characters have long since figured out. Even the deceased Na Moon-hee character puts it pretty bluntly in her final letter, ordering Kang-doo to be happy. That really is what it takes to even get Kang-doo to try and think in terms of self-interest. Anything more subtle than that and Kang-doo's just too thick-headed to get the point. The Na Moon-hee character was important mainly because she was the only character willing to be that direct with him.

Contrast Moon-soo, who keeps trying to get Kang-doo to open up by being nice to him, to which he responds by pushing her away. Moon-soo's main virtue is her near infinite sense of patience. Well, it helps that Moon-soo knows what Kang-doo does to people he really sincerely hates, but what's really sweet about Moon-soo is that she believes in Kang-doo. Moon-soo knows that Kang-doo is a good person, and can see how much he has improved since they first met.

The problem, and really all of the conflict, comes from the fact that Kang-doo refuses to believe that he is a good person. Logic really isn't at issue her. There was no way Kang-doo could have stopped the Na Moon-hee character from dying, and he knows that. The real issue is that Kang-doo doesn't have any way of coping with grief except to dip into self-hatred, because that was the main critical traumatic memory he received from the accident. Self-hatred is his immediate response to everything.

As great as "Just Between Lovers" is as a character study, I have to admit it was with relief that by the end writer Yoo Bo-ra has gotten back to the drama's original enemy- capitalism. Although admittedly the construction project is quite a bit more ambiguous now, since we've had so many scenes reminding us that the people there, too, are in the end just people. Not necessarily noble ones but still, flawed, in somewhat sympathetic ways.

Review by William Schwartz

Source: https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-just-between-lovers-episode-11-114446.html

"You can't just dismiss happiness as a concept simply because inevitably, the day will come when you are sad again."

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Just Between Lovers" Episode 12

photo934018.jpg

At long last Kang-doo has come to the conclusion that he is in fact an idiot and badly underrating himself. Not only does he allow Moon-soo to start caring about him without needlessly pushing her away, Kang-doo goes even farther than that and admits that he cares about her, and wants their relationship to go back to the way it was. As in, they just make a point of seeing each other on a regular basis, sometimes with a specific goal, and other times just for fun.

I really like the way Junho smiles, by the way. It's special because we almost never see Kang-doo smile because he never wants to be happy. That's the big part of his realization here that's so important. Being happy first requires that you want to be happy. This is admittedly not an easy task when a nasty flashback can come up at any time and bring Kang-doo back into self-hatred mode but still, he needs to start with that effort.

This is something that Moon-soo has largely mastered. Her scene with Wan-jin at the sauna is great, even as it reminds us of why Moon-soo's mother has been unable to make a recovery. Like Kang-doo, Yoon-ok doesn't really believe she has the right to be happy. It's the main source of friction between Yoon-ok, her husband, and daughter, is that they were willing to move on. Yoon-ok has never really thought in those terms.

Bear in mind that moving on is not the same thing as forgetting it. Aside from being together with Kang-doo, Moon-soo's main motivation has been to erect a proper memorial. Even Dong-cheol, for all his limited screentime and even more limited vocabulary, has a big moment here when another character inadvertently reminds him of the factors that led to the death of his second daughter. Essential as trauma is to Moon-soo and Dong-cheol, it does not define them.

It's against this backdrop that the romantic scenes between Kang-doo and Moon-soo are so powerful. We see them from the context of all the difficulties they've been through in life, and see that for all that, they can still be happy. Even the prospect of a suitably tragic ending isn't enough to dampen these moments of happiness, because that's a lot of what Kang-doo's character journey has been about. You can't just dismiss happiness as a concept simply because inevitably, the day will come when you are sad again.

Review by William Schwartz

Source: https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-just-between-lovers-episode-12-114502.html

Could someone translate the episode 13 description? ^^ :

문수(원진아)와 강두(이준호)를 위해 소미(박규영)는 새로운 장소들을 추천하고, 당황하는 강두와 달리 문수는 큰 관심을 보인다. 윤옥(윤유선)은 동철(안내상)에게 과거의 기억에 대해 얘기하면서 서로에 대한 원망을 하기 시작한다. 진행되는 프로젝트와 관련하여 원치 않은 일을 마주하게 된 유진(강한나)은 냉정한 주원(이기우)의 태도에 큰 충격을 받게 된다. 한편, 문수와 윤옥의 갈등이 최고조에 도달하게 되고, 결국 문수는 집을 뛰쳐나오게 되는데....

1 hour ago, sadaham said:

Could someone translate the episode 13 description? ^^ :

문수(원진아)와 강두(이준호)를 위해 소미(박규영)는 새로운 장소들을 추천하고, 당황하는 강두와 달리 문수는 큰 관심을 보인다. 윤옥(윤유선)은 동철(안내상)에게 과거의 기억에 대해 얘기하면서 서로에 대한 원망을 하기 시작한다. 진행되는 프로젝트와 관련하여 원치 않은 일을 마주하게 된 유진(강한나)은 냉정한 주원(이기우)의 태도에 큰 충격을 받게 된다. 한편, 문수와 윤옥의 갈등이 최고조에 도달하게 되고, 결국 문수는 집을 뛰쳐나오게 되는데....

I tried google translate because I so wish to know - first I was not sure if I should lay on the floor laughing or just hit my head. Fact is - using it makes it comlicated..

@stroppyse can you help out?

I am sorry - I can´t recall right now all the people who might be of help.

I will try to find some clues in that mess.

Spoiler
For Mundo (Won Jin-a) and Kang-do (Lee Jun-ho), Sommy (Park Gyu-young) recommends new places. Yun-ok (Yun Yu-sun) starts to grumble against each other as he talks about Dong-chul's (tentative) memories of the past. Eugene (Strongna) faced with unexpected things in relation to the ongoing project is greatly shocked by the attitude of the cold-hearted leader (Lee Ki-woo). On the other hand, the conflict between Munsu and Yoonok reaches a peak, and Matsuo comes out of the house.

For Moon Soo and Gang Do - So Mi recommends new places (I guess that is about the hotel Situation :D )

Yoon Ok - MS Mother strats to grumble against each other as she talks about the memories with Dong Chul - MS Fahter.

So it seems there will be a fight with the parents - or not. Looks like finaly Father will speak.

Next is I guess about Yoo Jin faced with unexpected things in relation to the ongoing project and is geatly shocked by attitude of the cold hearted leader.

There is something going on with Joo Won - looks like he turns to be stupid for a while - not able to manage his lingering feelings of anger.

And FINALY - what I was waiting for ...

On the other hand - the conflict between Moon Soo and her Mother reaches a peak (yeah - we needed that) and Moon Soo left the house. (wow)

Soooo - this is the evidence MS will always chose now GD. YEAH!!! PARTY!! I guess Wan Jin will get a new roommate. MS can´t move in the motel right. :wink:

1 hour ago, zvahl said:
  Hide contents

Why are they doing this.... :bawling::bawling: I cant for another week to finally know the reason, pls. It's too much....

(c) @leejunhawt

oh no! writer-nim we don't need another dead person in this story ,especially not the OTP.

1 hour ago, zvahl said:
  Reveal hidden contents

DT2WDooVMAArDAZ.jpgDT2WES0V4AAMODj.jpgDT2WFMtUQAAeeKN.jpgDT2WF01VoAAhTZh.jpg

Why are they doing this.... :bawling::bawling: I cant for another week to finally know the reason, pls. It's too much....

(c) @leejunhawt

I already prepared myself for any possibility. I got a feeling that something is wrong with him but still I'm hoping for it to be a treatable illness. 

I watched the 2pm VLive video raw so I need to watch again with the sub. They did talk about JBL but I didn't understand. I knew that Junho lost a lot of weight for this drama but I only realise it after he gathered together with his members. He used to have the same built with Wooyoung but now he shrink a lot. Looks so tiny amongst his members.. 

16 hours ago, stroppyse said:

For the benefit of Moon Soo (Won Jin Ah) and Gang Doo (Lee Jun Ho), So Mi (Park Gyu Young) introduces some new places, Gang Doo is dumbfounded, but Moon Soo shows great interest. Yoon Ok (Yoon Yoo Sun) tells what she remembers of the past to Dong Chul (Ahn Nae Sang), and starts blaming out of her sorrow. With the ongoing project which keeps developing unwanted issues, Yoo Jin (Kang Han Na) is shocked at Joo Won's (Lee Ki Woo) indifferent attitude. Meanwhile, the conflict between Moon Soo and Yoon Ok reaches a climax, and ultimately Moon Soo runs out of the house...

@Mau_Cherry, you pretty much got the translation anyway.  So, I guess this is just confirmation that you're right. :)

Thank you!

So it is not Father who finaly start to open up but first Mother. They are years behind.

I am really waiting fot the conflict between Mother and Daughter. So she will not really leave home (no roommate - sorry WJ) but runs out just on that point. She knows where to find GD right. I hoped for a scene he can comfort her.

Actually it is good when he can clearly find out how much she needs him too - otherwise the one with issues is always him.

(on a Sidenote - I needed a while to understand that Eugene is Yoo Jin in the World of google translate - tststs)

11 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

To be fair, Eugene and Yoo Jin have very similar pronunciations, especially to a Korean ear. :)

I'm just going to keep myself happy that there will be more MS and GD scenes. Plus, it's actually making me giggle a little bit that MS would be all big-eyed and interested in a private suite at a motel while GD is the one who is shocked and a bit prudish. :lol:

So, I would think that next week's episodes would be full of more reveals, recriminations, and accusations, right? Since it won't be peace and love until the final week? As long as neither GD nor MS are hurt, and as long as they can hold onto each other, I'm happy to watch the rest of the ride. :)

It happen before that when a lot is to solve for a Drama the happy moments get to much in the background - so I am so with you - we need to see them happy - and even when not happy - still in love.

I guess they need to go on now with a lot. The problems of the parend (review told us it will start), JW own History, of course what happen in the past for GD and MS - and what is with the second Couple - there is something to find too.

I can imagine that in the end YT have to give up his position and maybe his sister will become the new CEO. Why do I kinda started to like YT when he is around Ma Ri? She can make a human out of him. (give him a coffee bar at the seaside).

I still believe (and always thought so) that the writer will give us a situation in the end we have to fear about GD. I would have done that too. But to be honest - the nosebleed... I understand and like it that they made clear that its not a good idea to take so much medicin. But I really hope it will be a treatable issue. And I will trust my feeling about that until the last minute.

A Drama about healing should never end with the death of one of the OTP. They can bury MS beside him than. That would really break her heart. No - I don´t think they will do this. But maybe he needs a surgery like Granny. But he of course will survive in the end.

It makes sense if they build up a situation where GD needs rescue again - and this time MS will rescue him. In the end - all Dramas are somehow a kind of fairy tale - because it is just a story out of fantasy and - somtimes very close to natural - it never happen like this. Okay - History Drama can be a bit different - and I don´t like them in the most cases because in the history there are not so many happy ends. But for JbL - getting us in a wringer - let us suffer with them - hope with them - cry with them - and giggle with them -

it will all be fine in the end.

I loved to see the preview - not for the last bang - moment. But just because they are still happy together. And just to see they will give us a lot more good moments.

@zvahl Thank you for your post. I follow you and watch with sub.
I saw JunHo really appreciate for all review, he listen compliment for this show with honor. That was nice to see. He is really well manner and deserve to hear this compliment.

AAM5yzk.jpg

cr. 2pm VLive

13 hours ago, xcalibur07 said:

I knew that Junho lost a lot of weight for this drama but I only realise it after he gathered together with his members. He used to have the same built with Wooyoung but now he shrink a lot. Looks so tiny amongst his members.. 

@xcalibur07 oh yes, since you mention this I notice too that JunHo lost his weight a lot. I rewatch Ep.1 yesterday and compare with scene in hospital Ep.11,12 boylish face. Really different.

Gj1AcS5.jpg
cr. 2pm VLive

Dear @stroppyse or friends who understand korean language.
Would you please translations the moments of 0:38 and 1:33 in below clip.

0:38 JunHo
The reaction from JunHo after hear Director mention to him is like Whhhhhhhaaaat??
and the room laugh...also later JunHo expression and Won jin ah also very cute.

Spoiler

ao6VcYL.jpg

1:33 Won jin Ah

Spoiler

IpUiqDw.jpg

3 hours ago, Mau_Cherry said:

A Drama about healing should never end with the death of one of the OTP. They can bury MS beside him than. That would really break her heart. No - I don´t think they will do this. But maybe he needs a surgery like Granny. But he of course will survive in the end.

It makes sense if they build up a situation where GD needs rescue again - and this time MS will rescue him.

This! I am thinking the same too.... so I'm holding out hope that all will find enough closure from the incident and be happy by the end of this series. Talking about MS rescuing GD, I know this is quite a twisted guess... but could it be that MS become the one injured in the next episode because she pushed GD away? :crazy: sorry for my crazy mind. But it could be something that wake her parents up from their living the past. They should know to cherish the one daughter still living than keep grieving for the other daughter.

Btw, I don't think that the identity of MS first love will ever be revealed to both of them. I personally don't think it is significant to the growth of their relationship. For one, I don't believe there is any way GD could have described that person to anyone because of the low visibility under the rubble, and since MS had never actually met SJ that day, she wouldn't have known the clothes he was wearing. GD recognized the shoes, and may be able to recall the face, but unless he is shown by MS a photograph of SJ, I doubt they can put two and two together.

Am trying to speculate what are the possible direction of the story with 4 episodes left. --- Can't believe the show is coming to an end in less than 2 weeks, and I've just started it....??

Btw, note the silver words on the gift bag GD handed to MS --- Especially For You (with a heart) :wub:

And I can't help but think of Prosecutor Seo Yool whenever I see GD (or rather JunHo) eats :lol:

Hello @piekeboeboe ... I was wondered too what the PD-nim said at that time. Then, I found news articles in Soompi about Just Between Lovers press conference. I can't read Hangeul, so I have to lurk into English media outlets to understand their words :) Hope it can help you to understand the situation. But, there are some friends who expert in Hangeul here, maybe they can help you more.

Here are the links:

https://www.soompi.com/2017/12/05/just-lovers-pd-shares-decided-cast-2pms-junho-won-jin-ah/

For Junho, the PD explained, “To me, Junho doesn’t feel like an idol, I’ve had a lot of interest in him as an actor. I offered the role to him because I wanted to show people that he’s an actor who can take on a role like this. I’m so happy that he took the offer. Working with him showed me that he’s a good actor and I feel like the viewers will be able to feel the sincerity he put into his role.” He added with a laugh, “And he’s also very handsome, which is a plus.”

Won Jin Ah is a rookie actress who will be making her drama debut through the upcoming project. PD Kim Jin Won said, “From the planning process, the screenwriter and I agreed that we wanted the female lead to be a rookie actress. We wanted someone to bring a fresh and new perspective to the role. We met with approximately 120 rookie actresses, and Won Jin Ah really caught our eye. She really has a wholesome charm that fit the image we were going for.”

https://www.soompi.com/2017/11/29/just-between-lovers-director-reveals-won-jin-ah-chosen-female-lead/

The drama previously gained a lot of attention through the casting of the main leads, particularly Won Jin Ah. A rookie actress, she was able to win the part through fierce competition of 120 people who auditioned for the role. On the casting process, director Kim Ji Won stated, “We chose Won Jin Ah because we wanted viewers to really feel the sincerity of Ha Moon Soo. Won Jin Ah was the actress most like Moon Soo and has a healthy and warm energy to her that makes people feel good. She is portraying Moon Soo well with great acting on set as well. We hope that viewers will be able to see the even more vivid charms of Ha Moon Soo through Won Jin Ah.”

Archived