[Drama 2017-2018] Just Between Lovers 그냥 사랑하는 사이

Go Seung Ji

9 minutes ago, jongski said:

@darr Oh nooooo.  Mentioned previous pages, worried of of how GD will take it if grandma dies. She is like his rock. granny is his conscience.. Confidant. I'm sad for GD. And yes.. that big husky like voice of Won Jin Ah. We all like  it.

I'm going off topic. I have that feeling that junho like that babe. She looks so pure. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

I was loving this preview with the kiss between GD and MS (finally!), but then Grandma's death scene hit me. And, GD reassuring her on her death bed that when she dies, she'll look as she did when she was prettiest because she had been worried that she might meet her husband in heaven looking like a Grandma when he was going to look his handsome 30 year old self. That GD remembered their conversation and reassured her about it caused the tears to flood.

Oh wow.. her husband died when he was 30 yo? That makes her around 30yo too or younger. 

And she has never been married and stay faithful to her husband's memory? Whoaaaa... #respect

Just now, penelop3 said:

Oh wow.. her husband died when he was 30 yo? That makes her around 30yo too or younger. 

And she has never been married and stay faithful to her husband's memory? Whoaaaa... #respect

Perhaps that is why she understands GD so much? Maybe she focused on her work in an attempt to forget and to survive alone. She had her own way of dealing with th epain so she understands that he has his own way too.

@stroppyse Thanks for the translations! You rock!!

1 minute ago, stroppyse said:

GD: Look at all this nagging. Are you like this with just anyone?
MS: Are you just anyone?!

Sorry to cut your post - and extremly thank you (I am still frustrated - but you help me a lot)

THIS IS SIMPLE WONDERFUL!!!

He is not just anyone!!! He is a great person for her and not anyone. I love that.

Review is out for ep 9. Thanks Hancinema

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Just Between Lovers" Episode 9

2018/01/08

photo930063.jpg

So Kang-doo and Moon-soo appears to have broken up, or are at least fighting in such a way that they seem headed for a break-up. The actual reason for the fight is not important. This was just one of those dumb petty fights that couples get into because they have an emotionally charged moment and separate on bad terms. Then, unwilling to imply in even the vaguest way that they might have been wrong, they stubbornly refuse to make up.

The ongoing fight is difficult to watch, but not for any direct reason. Rather, the scarier part is that we can see Kang-doo and Moon-soo both thinking, well, would a break-up really be so bad? I got along without this person before, surely I can do it again. They see the placidity of their current situation and confuse that for what their life is like in general. In reality we can remember what Kang-doo and Moon-soo were doing before they met each other. It was nothing all that fun.

But the other characters don't realize that. And for the most part they don't especially care either. Note how the only characters who have seen much of Kang-doo and Moon-soo together are Moon-soo's best friend Wan-jin and Kang-doo's best friend Sang-man (played by Kim Kang-hyun). Both of these characters are themselves quite isolated in the overall cast, though, having no friends we see besides the leads.

So it's not their imminently sensible judgment that Kang-doo and Moon-soo turn to. Instead, they think in the broader perspective. They think of other characters who "know" the most because they have the most life experience. Kang-doo and Moon-soo are ultimately driven apart because they keep trying to think of their relationship in too logical a manner. Even minor attempts at reconciliation are ultimately simply too minor to come off as the sincere emotional plea that's necessary right now.

I was actually quite relieved when melodramatic backstory was used to force one of our normally soft-spoken leads into drastic action. The whole episode was just one giant painful mistake being made in slow motion. It's all too easy to look at Kang-doo and Moon-soo being stubborn, and seeing that reflected in our own life experiences. Even on the boat we can see it reflected on their faces, the sudden realization that everything Kang-doo and Moon-soo had thought was important, just wasn't, and why did they spend so much effort lying to themselves about that?

Review by William Schwartz

"Just Lovers" is directed by  Kim Jin-won-I, written by  Yoo Bo-ra, and features Junho, Won Jin-ah, Lee Ki-woo, and Kang Han-na

Watch on Viki

Source:  https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-just-between-lovers-episode-9-114197.html

On 1/2/2018 at 5:43 PM, turtleaxis said:

Also, knowing GD's character, I think we can see from a mile away that he would run if there's even a chance that there's someone better for the one he loves (in his mind). GD hates himself. That's why he constantly dives headfirst into danger because he doesn't really care about what happens to him. He stays away from the people he loves, like his sister, because he thinks he'll only ruin them. It's not just noble idiocy, he doesn't have the self worth to understand that he deserves the love that he wants. I know noble idiocy is a trope in kdrama, but this time around I think it's also attached to a whopping dose of self-hatred and thinking that he's lower than dirt. He was happy to find someone who loves him, until he thinks someone else is better, and having someone confront him basically calling his father a murderer in front of MS certainly didn't help. 

You have really described GD to a T. He does have it in his mind that he is not worthy of happiness.  My brook for him when he was happy on the rooftop during the party only to have that richard simmons vision of the white shirt guy telling him he doesn't deserve to be happy. That is all him, his guilt and self hatred that is so misplaced.  I agree it's not just noble idiocy, it's as you describe a whopping dose of self hatred. My heart goes out to him because no matter what happened between him and the white shirt guy it could not have been so bad that he has to hate himself for it.

Mianhae chingus since I'm commenting on last week's post. I just finished watching 7 and 8 and am catching up from last week.

@stroppyse Thanks so much for the translations:heart:

I’m so sorry guys I couldn’t continue to recap earlier cause of this personal feeling. I lost my grandma just a year ago, she is like my own mother to me, the only person I have. So seeing this circumstance and KD hurting cause of Halmom.... it hits me the same... Forgive me T___T luckily many others are here to recap and even translate. Thanks you guys.. ♥ 

21 minutes ago, aiwa9 said:

I’m so sorry guys I couldn’t continue to recap earlier cause of this personal feeling. I lost my grandma just a year ago, she is like my own mother to me, the only person I have. So seeing this circumstance and KD hurting cause of Halmom.... it hits me the same... Forgive me T___T luckily many others are here to recap and even translate. Thanks you guys.. ♥ 

Thank you so much for telling us. Hey - we are grateful for what you did - no reason to apologize if you can´t . I just hope you are all better now. I feel you - I know how it feels lo loose someone.

1 hour ago, stroppyse said:

I always like the Gang Doo and Grandma scenes, but today's were just especially touching and funny. 

Oh, @stroppyse me too... I found this energetic and positive synergy between them since I watched this drama for the first time. I love them :) and million thanks for translating the clips.

1 hour ago, aiwa9 said:

It's well my dear.  

6 hours ago, glassnokamen said:

Hello, could you tell me please which song is this? 

I'm looking for the name of that song from the first episodes, but I can't find it.

Song in korean, it means it's just a new OST. We just need to wait this release.

I think the kiss and dating happens after grandma dies. In the preview KD crying near grandma wears same shirt as today in the end of ep 10. And also today they show this happy scene of everybody smiling so close up and obvious - in dramas/movies, I believe, that always symbolises the last happy moment to remember.

1 hour ago, aiwa9 said:

I too lost my maternal granny 1.5 years ago, she is like another mother for me but you know what I couldn't even cry properly as I had to be strong to console my mom. These scenes are too similar to my life as we too lost her to cancer and she left us earlier than expected. 

Its ok to not being able to and tysm for the recaps. 

Today was the first Episode I was lost a lot because I needed the words so much. I often have an idea about a scene but today... difficult. At least for the first half.

I already knew that GD choose a Job like he coose torture. Hard work - really hard work - and what can he eat? But I forgot about - how can he sleep? In a small room with all that strangers besides him - dark and cramped... not possible. So he spend all those nights outside. And like that he always remembered Moon Soo.

But there is more - he is always alone. He don´t have much in commen with those other mans. He is doing his job as good as possible. But they even yelled at him - not sure but I guess it was because he stepped on the net... for the nicer version they could yell at him because he could get hurted - but my feelings tells me it was because he could damage the net.

Gang Doo is suffering all by his own again...

But he could not run away from the memory he had with Moon Soo.

Same for Moon Soo. She is like haunted now too - by Gang Doos Image. She visit all those places and understands now so much better why Gang Doo was like he was - why he said was he said - how meaningful his words where. It must hurt a lot to find out that Gang Doo knows all the time about her. I am so thankful for Grannys words. How much he tries to push you away from him is how much he cares for you. That changed everything - and Moon Soo really understood it now.

He is a women who is sooo lovesick  and its all about Missing. Sleeping in GDs Room after she could not hold on to him - i liked it a lot.

And thats how she found out about Yae Young and I guess a bit more about GDs Situation too. Sang Mans Mother freely told her what she knew. I wonder what kind of woman that was who tried to talk with MS - was it something about relegion? MS gave the flyer back. I felt like the MS before she met GD would never do that - act polite to not harm anybody. Thank you I will read it.... But this time she told this woman how she felt about that flyer. Whatever it was.

They changed the Scene from GD to MS and back to GD - and i again just can praise the JbL Team. Camera, Light, everything - the Scenes on the Boat - wow. Why do i like GD with that cap so much. He looked so lost - but still i liked him so much. I feel guilty.

Meanwhile JW was on the construction Side - and I had to smile - Team Leader tries to get his Gang Doo back. Thats the strange thing - whenever someone start to know more about GD they must start to respect and like him. They find out that he is reliable and loyal and capable to do a lot of things. Even Team Leader knows - thats how I see it - that Gang Doo is a great Guy.

Gang Doo trinks soju - and remembers Moon Soo. He still don´t seem to understand what she likes about it. He remember her kissing him. That will not help...

Moon Soo is working - but her mind is absent - and she cuts herself. (so thats why she always have the band aid set in her bag). Just good for MS that she at least has someone to talk to. I really like her friend Wan Jin.

Yoo Taek goes out to see Ma Ri again - but if I understood it right - even she blames him because he fired Gang Doo. YT did not liked that and Ma Ri left him after she got a call. Not working out very well for YT too.

And we are back on the Boat - in the Night - Gang Doo of course outside. Some Guy came to him and they talked - or at least the Guy told GD something I had the feeling was importend. Maybe a lesson.

I liked it a lot that Granny came to see Moon Soo. Honestly I felt like seeing Granny MS was smiling for the first time since GD left. What was Grannys plan. She likes MS but i sense she wonted to fing out how MS felt about GD now after he left and how is she doing. I was surprised that it was MS Mother Yoon Ok who was more sensible about Granny this time.

And i wondered how MS really will find out about Grannys illness. So she collapsed at the Bath and they had to send her to hospital. Good way writer.

-that GD fall and get hurted the same time nearly Granny collapsed was a strike to me - like they are bounded so heavily - so if she will not fall but die... what will happen to GD...

Typical for Granny she did not plan to stay in the Hospital - so the moment she felt okay again she was on her way out - and just good - Moon Soo found her right in time - same for Jae Young.

I am a bit lost on this topic - I thought there was more between MS and JY. But it did not looks like that today. But I liked it a lot that again MS lectured YJ about how importend it is for GD to know about Grannys situation.

On 1/6/2018 at 10:17 AM, turtleaxis said:

On another note, I had hopes that MS's father wouldn't disappoint me, but sad to see I've been let down. I feel really awful for GD when her father point blank told him to stay away from MS. Seeing her with JW right after her dad told him she should be with someone better must be the worst, especially because it's easy to see the almost hero-worship GD has for the guy. MS's parents are still dealing with their grief yes, but they're also so selfish sometimes they frustrate me. They never take the time to actually talk with their daughter or even consider what she wants most of the time, only deciding they should be parenting at whim. 

MS's parents just are too much, I understand they lost a child and that is the worse thing that can happen to a parent but I just can't with the selfishness of these two. They seem to wallow in their sadness. It's all about them, they do just seem to ignore the child who went through her own trauma.  It's like all they seem to care about is their own grief. They forget they have a responsibility to MS as parents to look out for her wellbeing.  MS has been forced to be a parent to care of her mother.  I'm sure the only time she see's her father is when she seeks him out. 

Gang Doo just happen to hear his phone when JY called him. Today I liked his sister a bit more. Her Attitude was different.

And in a later scene.. but later... right...

Gang Doo found out about Granny being sick - and there was no way for him to stay longer. The Boat just at that time met another boat who needs to bring the fish back to land - and GD just decide to come back like that. On jump and he was on the other boat. I guess he explained his situation - and it was okay.

We know that GD often has trouble with his leg - but damn.. he can run!

And he runs direct to the hospital to meet his sister. He don´t want the difficult way to explain him - just the simple question - will she die or not - or what can they do - thats how I understood it.

And Sis is not ashamed to meet GD in the Hospital - i think she finaly cares for her brother and is sad to see how hurted he is. I needed that.

Gang Doos next Stop is of course Grannys Shop. The way those two war talking is great. They really are one of a kind.

And Moon Soo became a Stalker.
Gosh I love that - she is waiting - she follows him like a shadow. I wish to know if MS Mother told GD that MS slept in his room and waited for him. The way he turned back and looked to the door - what was it he heart before.

And finaly MSs Mother is the first person who told GD to take a shower. Sure he worked with fish all those time - he must smell a lot - but noone cared about that before.

The Shower Scene... my poor Heart...

And MS did not left - she waited on the roof - she knows GD well to wait there. And she

told him about her remembering. She is hurted when he hurts her - and left but she thinks about it - understands - and came back. Wow - she really knows now what she want and she will go all the way to get it. When she told GD she will come back again and again and again - until she hates him - I only could hear - until you will not let me go.

I so loved to see that change from - go away to - is she here somewhere - why is she not here - to his cute smile. He missed her and tried to not show - but I guess he did not await that MS can be so stubborn.

In the meantime JW was visited by his Mother - need words to understand and MS met her Dad in front of there house - but he did not came in. But - what where they talking about. MS again is the one who cares for her mum - it should have been the other way around. I guess mum did not even noticed how sad MS was for a time.

So - MS is waiting for GD the next Day... and she made up her mind. What can I say - i can just love the writer. In older Dramas - the couple would look at each other but miss the point to know about and the misunderstanding can go on - but here - she turn around to look to the roof and just saw that GD was hiding. He was mean and used harsh word to push her back again - but what did Granny said... he must like her a lot. MS trust that feeling and waits for GD outside. Thank you!

I loved the Scene - already translated here - with the Ice and the wounded hands - and that GD is not just someone. :wub:

I extremly loved it to see GDs Reaction when MS said she need to go. Oh he tries hard not to show it but damn - he wants her to stay.

I need translation for the next scene. MS at work and YJ came and they had a talk. I felt like YJ tricked MS to speak her mind about GD and what she feels about him - because she wanted JW to hear it. I am twisted - on one side that is good - JW needs to understand that on the other hand I am not sure if YJ is the right person to act like that. JW can think about that in a different way. MS was not really surprised to see JS after the chat - looks like she did not say anything what - in her mind - he should not hear.

GD comes to Grannys Shop and she is not around. GD tries to call her and the phone is on the table. Where is Granny (my guess - she visit a lawyer or something like that). GD in panik. He calls Ma Ri and visit her after searching for Granny. But she did not know where Granny is too. My feeling about this scene was GD found out that Ma Ri already know or had an idea about what is going on with Granny and he felt so sad and frustrated that only he did not know. (if i am right about that - i don´t want to think about what would happen if he found out too late and noone told him...)

Dark outside and GD is still searching - and finaly he sees Granny on the swing. She really likes this spot. The talk is bittersweet for all of us i guess. I love those two together - but the pain is tangible.

A old women - surgery - I understand GDs fear - but in the end - what if - and we know that will happen - than she could have more time and more peaceful time... damn...

33 minutes ago, babycrayon said:

I think the kiss and dating happens after grandma dies. In the preview KD crying near grandma wears same shirt as today in the end of ep 10. And also today they show this happy scene of everybody smiling so close up and obvious - in dramas/movies, I believe, that always symbolises the last happy moment to remember.

Yeah that's my guess as well. KD looks so broken in the Grandma part of he promo. I don't know how we get to dating, but maybe Grandma's letter? 

And again - MS is waiting for GD - caring for him - is he okay after meeting Granny... so cute telling him she saw it that he is happy to see her.

And indeed he is - His wall starts to break down.

I will come back...

How great is Moon Soo...

And how great is Sang Man - but honesty - I don´t want him to be in the room - reading out loud - when I wish to sleep too.

And the Details again - don´t switch off the light - GD needs it to be able to sleep. How difficult was the time on the boat for him....

JW alone at home - standing in front of his window with the beautiful view. What he heard MS saying today was not pleasent for his ears. Maybe he hoped her to become to sun to his life - he too - is in pain. But he choosed it to be dark. Sadly he closed the curtain again.

What happend to Wan Jin? Why must the Assistent bring her to the hospital? Something with her face. And is my feeling right that Cuty told her something like she don´t have to be afraid the car is big and safe. He really cares for her. I like that.

Granny is now in the Hospital. I am sure - she is only there for GDs Sake. And again the Stalker is near. Moon Soo visit Granny too - haha - why are you here. (GD) I called her (GRanny) YES (me).

Sang Man meets Wan Jin and Cuty  - ( and I love how all pieces fall together - that could only happen because they had the party on the roof) and they all visit Granny now. I was confused because of the pictures before - now it makes sense.

This Scene is so powerful too me. On one Side - because of Granny who must felt very nice to have to many nice people around her suddenly. On the other side - there is Gang Doo - who tries to not loose his face - but he sees all those happy people - like a family meeting - and he soften too - even needs to fight the tear. (But he still step back when MS smiles at him beautifully - grrr). Oh I forgot - Ma Ri is there too of course.

But there is one more person - who looks surprised and moved. That was not what Jae Young expected as I guess. Around her brother there are so many people - caring for each other - having fun and lighten up the room so much. Her looser Brother have friends - and people who cares about him - and somehow - I might be wrong - but somehow I felt like - she start to see him in a different light too.

Sometimes its could to try to see a person from another perspective - she is so bounded in all that personal tragedies... so to see how other people sees him - might be a big help for brother and sister. I hope so.

Soon after the happy moments - the situation changed...

It was kinda a sad picture how Granny lays in Bed and GD looks at her...

and than he take the pill and goes to the bathroom and the nosebleed started... What made me even more sad was he did not act like that was new for him - he more act like he already knew that... I hope not. But - and thats my light for next week...

if he had to fear he could be ill - he would never dare to start something with Moon Soo. So I will go with my believe it is about the medication - and it will get better once he start to minimize that.

The last Part is the Preview... and I am surprised again.

Normaly we can try to find out from a preview - if there will maybe a kiss next week. I am not used to see a Kiss and a nearly Kiss in a preview. Again JbL is different.

What comes first... I don´t know...

The Suit - can that be for the funeral. THan they are way to happy.

But - the surgery will be soon. Granny is already ready for it. It will not take too long - so i fear Granny will die soon now. But okay - i will deal with that next week. For now I will concentrate on the happy fact that - yeah - they are together at least. MS made it possible for GD. He can´t push her away anmore. I will be happy with this - and I try to not think about what comes next.

Because - Granny is one sad story - but there is still a lot hidden in the past. What happen to Choi Sung Jae.... Did GD knew that MS was there to meet him? I am really curious about the Days in the ruins. But first - I need and wish for some happy Times for GD and MS.

Holding Hands, Hugs, Kisses - and EXTREMLY MS Parents to understand that this man is the great Person her Daughter loves deeply. And I wish her parents to acept him and start so see him differently.

Sorry - I couldn´t stop myself...

Archived