[Drama 2017-2018] Just Between Lovers 그냥 사랑하는 사이

Go Seung Ji

Hi! This is my first time doing something like this. But since I managed to finally find a forum while a show that I like has just started airing, I thought I might take advantage of this space to actually conversate with other people about the thoughts that I have on it.I'm really enjoying this show so far! I knew Junho from "Twenty" but I don't remember seeing any of Won Jin ah's projects. But they are doing such a great job so far.

The only scene I didn't like was the destruction of the memorial scene. I don't know...it felt kind of wrong somehow. But other than that, the writing has been pretty solid.

Several quotes that I loved from the episodes that we've gotten so far:

"How is he lacking? He's normal.No one acts their age anyway."

"To me, what you're going to do in the future is more important"

"What a naive thing to say.Don't feel easy thinking you're at the rock bottom."

" Knowing ignorance is bliss, there lies the power"

"The world sucks because it can't do what's obvious and simple."

I'm also really liking the music. It's probably all just coincidence, but I love how certain movements made by the character match the music that's playing in the background. Like the piano playing as KD paused and turned. Thinking he recognized MS and MS hands going along with the music when she's searching at KD's pants in episode 1. Maybe I'm just really nutty, but I like stuff like that, even if it wasn't planned. It's fun to watch.

Anyway, hope this drama keeps up with storytelling for the next 12 episode, I'm looking forward to it!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, carolinedl said:

Salut @bebebisous33! Glad to see you here! :)

So I finally managed to watch episode 4 with subs. A lot of little things I liked, even though I felt that the episode was a bit slower than the previous ones.

@Mau_Cherry Yep, I also thonight that the grandmother was the landowner. I also think she had intented to pass it to GD like @qynn said. I also thought it might have been GD too. Anyway, I think that, at the end, that piece of land will be in GD's hands. Or maybe JW?... There is still a dark side of him; I felt in episode 4 that he was a lot more similar to GD than I first thought. I also think he wants revenge but he is not direct about it...

I don't think Yoo Jin cannot control her heart... I mean the situation is such that there is not much she can do because (1) her father and his mother are married and (2) JW is using that as an 'excuse.' I also think that her father's past actions might have made things complicated and she might also feel a certain guilt/responsability connected to that. So, like @penelop3 (Hey!! :) ),  I also hoped she won't turn into a bad guy...

Like a lot of you mentioned, I am so intrigued by GD's memories in this episode. Who is that guy that grabs him? He mocked GD then, asking him if he thought GD could date her? Was he referring to MS? Was he the date that was supposed to meet with MS at the mall?

My main question is what is GD's responsability in his death:

- he might have abadon him in order to save himself.

- that guy might have tried to prevent GD from being saved.

Both scenarii would go well with GD's comment at the end of episode 2, that people only think of themselves when faced with death.

@Wotad - interesting idea... I love those kind of plots but doesn't the memory seem too 'clear' (in the sense that the guy is dirty, seems to be a guy from the ice cream shop, etc.) to be fabricated?

I also like GD's little obsession with ice cream, still today...

even if the guy was real those thoughts are clearly something else , asking him if he could date her etc.. is clearly his own thoughts against him thats why i suggest schizophrenia it makes the most sense to me. 

This is my favorite drama of 2017 though ive watched quite a few and im loving this the most , i think the romance will be done in a sweet natural way. 

1 hour ago, Wotad said:

even if the guy was real those thoughts are clearly something else , asking him if he could date her etc.. is clearly his own thoughts against him thats why i suggest schizophrenia it makes the most sense to me. 

This is my favorite drama of 2017 though ive watched quite a few and im loving this the most , i think the romance will be done in a sweet natural way. 

When was the asking him if he thought he could date her comment? I missed that, I think.

I agree that it's his own thoughts but it seems like survivors guilt to me. Like if he allows himself to be a little happy that inner voice pipes up. I haven't went through a traumatic event like GD, but I've had an inner voice kind of like that after losing somebody close to me. 

1 hour ago, qynn said:

When was the asking him if he thought he could date her comment? I missed that, I think.

I agree that it's his own thoughts but it seems like survivors guilt to me. Like if he allows himself to be a little happy that inner voice pipes up. I haven't went through a traumatic event like GD, but I've had an inner voice kind of like that after losing somebody close to me. 

pretty sure the line was do you think you can date her? or something. 

bdxevo3z.png

Spoiler

jzkkq8do.png

5wslgyzz.png

5rkpqzhb.png

docif6qm.png

@qynn This was the scene

GD clearly heard the voice (memory or not - he can hear it now). He even checked if the other Guy said something or heard something - but it was just him. I fear - again.

... She doesn't understand him for always being haunted and chained by the past. ...

that was said about his sister - so I fear meeting MS brings back more memories and nightmares - but he still can´t avoid her. His Time in the Hospital after waking up from the coma - I sense he had a terrible time there. Oh and the time he was in Coma too...

That guy brings real and fabricated memories I think. I do think he met him/saw him after the building collapsed. But he became his ghost - the comments he hears now are fabricated by his mind (you should have died with me, etc.), before there is some kind of traumatic link between the two. Is it guilt or anger?... We don't know yet and that will be the interesting aspect to develop in the upcoming episodes.

15 hours ago, Wotad said:

It might be that he is a friend of that guy who she was about to go and meet before the tragedy happened. The guy must have told him that he want to meet a girl. I don't know o. So many thoughts. 

And somehow he got to know that she was the one. Maybe the guy died and now this is happening. So many angles to this. Or it can be his mind making him feel guilty. But why?

Wow, I'm glad to see this thread picking up in the last few days! Hopefully so will the ratings. I know it's a cable drama, and it airs at 11pm on a weekday at that, but it's such a beautifully told story, I can't help but want more and more people to watch it. I'm still impressed at how they've managed to portray such dramatic and traumatised characters in such a muted and subtle way. Although episode 4 really left us hanging, I have no idea what was happening there at the end and it's keeping me on the edge of my seat. Kudos to Junho with that hallucination scene, I was honestly a bit scared myself watching it. That said, I noticed this guy from the 2nd episode and I wondered if he would play a bigger part:DRqBPz_VoAA2AFi.jpg:large

Could he be the one haunting GD's mind? At first I thought hallucination was just an awkwardly interpreted sub, but I guess he really does see things and is suffering from survivor's guilt as well. Although he was already losing blood with that metal bar still pierced through his thigh so what could he have done to help anyway.. But seeing GD's daily life, he does look like a people helper, so I see where the guilt is coming from. Our poor he:ro is already suffering from losing his parents and the perpetual pain his leg causes, now he has survivor's guilt too? Poor kid.

Interesting to note too that MS really has blacked out her mind to the events on that day. I guess it's the way her mind copes with the situation but maybe it's also preventing her from truly moving on. Now her dreams/ memories make more sense. They're disjointed because her brain can't seem to connect the moments together. But like granny said, she doesn't suffer any less because of it. I love that GD wasn't hell-bent on making her remember him too, and that he consulted his closest advisor about it (This foreshadowing of granny's death is really messing with me, please leave her alone show :bawling:).

But onto our couple: So. Freaking. Cute. I love them so much. Their back and forth banter and the way they seem to be truly comfortable in each other's presence.  MS just opens up whenever she's around him. She's always so meek and careful around people and it's really wonderful seeing her be so at ease with GD, even shamelessly following him around. If GD is like a street cat, then MS is like an adorable little puppy around him and this dynamic is truly giving me life. The way she's constantly using his words against him makes me laugh, and I LOVED her calling him out on his bull about only looking out for yourself, because we all know GD is a helper at heart. And don't think I didn't notice her non-denial both times he teased her about being interested in him. I see you, show. I love how you can clearly see how she overwhelms him sometimes. They're already so whipped for each other and they don't even know it yet. Please give me more of this, I can take the ptsd and the pain if only this adorable dynamic between them remains.

One interaction that I didn't know I would like this much is YJ and GD. I lol-ed at him thinking she's actually seeking him out for love advice lmao, but YJ is so much more interesting when they give her something to do other than just pining after JW trying to get him back. I hope they keep giving her more agency and let her be a well-rounded character in her own right. JW is still a blank slate to me, they need to give me more motive or insight on his end. Right now he's starting to come off as a supervisor with increasingly alarming boundary issues, if only because MS has given no indication of her interest and in some cases even seemed to be uncomfortable with the attention. Idk if it's intentional, probably not, but the guy needs to chill.

Also GD saying that badgering a person until you get the answer you want is a form of violence? LOVED that line. Suffice it to say, I've fallen for this show hook, line and sinker lol

Hey  y'all chingus here. Like reading thoughts. Thanks for sharing. I really cannot eloquently  put into words what I think, so reading them help to understand. Thanks.

I just finished watching the  episodes 3-4.  Everything about this drama is beautiful. It's quietly beautiful. From the story, the  actors, acting, writing, the music, the mood,  the production. The over all quality of this drama.  It's not a drama that is gloss with actors or production. The opening credits for this drama, they actually show different disaster shots, like broken bridge, rubble, a burned old ship. Like an aftermath of a disaster.   This drama amidst designs, and buildings, and contractors, engineers, construction speaks  how aftermath of tragedy affects a person. Also about hope and healing, surviving while others died. 

The rooftop scene with Sang Man ( the man child friend of GD) explained what one should to heal person hurting inside. You touch a through your hands.  It gives off that comfort.  That physical touch of comfort is effective.  But also the

In ep 3,  I like that manhole scene. We saw their endured pain.  MS trapped shouting for help. Shivering, cold  with bruised ankle while GD  found her. And  even with his legs hurting, tried to lift her out of that

And in episode 4  we learned the reason why GD destroyed that memorial. He found it ridiculous paving names on the stone and asking people to remember an ugly tragedy and in a fit of anger, he destroyed it. I like that MS listened to him and did not berate him for doing so.  Said just okay. After that conversation and brooding alone, he came to decision. GD asked JW he wants the marker rebuild again and wanted to MS  to help him. The scene  when GD and MS talking to ahjussi they contracted to design for the memorial. GD doesn't see the point of  making it special he asked whats the point of  it's just names and said even if they change the design, if it will make any difference.  The explanation as to why there is memorial marker whats it's for, what it symbolizes  was best explain by the ahjussi.

"You just don't just build to remember those who died. The people who survived after sending their loved ones, those who live on because they are unable to die. Memorial is for them to come and be said as their heart allows them to be. We haven't forgotten them.  It's giving comfort to them through this piece of rock".

The words  from the ahjussi they contracted to design the memorial marker resonate in their conversation.

MS:  "making it so people could be as sad as their heart allows them to be. I think he's right. "

GD: Did you see his hands? His hands is like a piece of rock.  People who focused on one thing  all their life, what they say is usually correct.

MS: "If you hadn't destroyed the memorial- ( he cut off her words whilst speaking)

GD: Don't do it. "

MS: "What did I do?"

GD: " Don't say "what if". There is no end. What if I didn't go there? What if I hadn't done that? If you start, there is no end."

Then the MS suddenly humming and   sang the song bulldong mansion- the song he sang to her when they were both trapped. He doesn't want to listen, he doesn't want her to sing it.

GD already seems to have an idea as to who MS is. The rooftop scene with the conversation about healing, GD remembered  the talk with the grandma. He asked what's right. Does he tell or leave it alone to which grandma reply ignorance is bliss. It's like medicine. And GD said "still, it seems some live comfortably forgetting everything that happened."  He doesn't know that  she lost her memory. She lost her sister, that she's not living comfortably, that she suffered too.

The difference  how they deal with the tragedy.....

MS wants to remember.  She wants to remember the sister,  what happened after her rescue,  why father and mother drifted further away from each other.  GD doesn't want to remember. He is angry about what happened. In his mind (the memorial) it's like gloryfing the tragedy, and the ones who survived ( hence he destroyed it)

The scenes with the voice in the head of GD ( you should have died.. etc), I checked my page 7 post.

On 12/12/2017 at 12:36 AM, jongski said:

1.Survivalist guilt.

Our leads, Moon Soo and Lee Kang Doo  were both at the same shopping complex, the day tragedy struck. There was explosion or the building was imploded. I'm not sure yet. MS  younger sister died and the mom basically putting the guilt on her. She has been carrying that guilt ever since then. She is afraid of  of being trapped in an elevator or close space.  She climbed 16 floors and went down same way.   LKD also going down same flight of stairs.

For MS I still say she is dealing with that. For GD, I actually changed my mind because as was explained by chingu,why should GD feel guilty and I thought. yes correct. But looking now perhaps I was thinking guilty because he's alive and others are not. That others suffered while he was rescued. He felt this guilt esp during the scene when two of the construction workers were talking about human remains and bones buried still in that area ( they were to excavate for the new memorial to be rebuilt) he stumbled slowly  workers room and that's when he heard the voice in his head.

So after  episodes3-4,  the comfort, the healing, the easing of  hurt will begin.   It has already began. We can even see GD smiling more often.  If love is the answer to healing then why not. The two of them  still oblivious of each other's real situation but  knowing and getting an idea already, slowly Moon Soo and Gang Doo shows comfort to each other. 

Gosh. I actually have more thoughts ( about SJW and other characters) but this is too long already. I'll share those  with another post.

I wish someone could translate the BTS Clips. Love to watch them but end up all the time wishing to know what was so funny.

@turtleaxis I shared this Picture too - yes - I believe this Guy in the Background is the Man from GDs Memory - and I guess he was MS Date. I found no other person with matching clothes - and the Hairstyle too.

Junho And Won Jin Ah Go On An Adorable Date In “Just Between Lovers”

Spoiler

Junho-Won-Jin-Ah5.jpg

On December 23, JTBC’s “Just Between Lovers” released stills of 2PM’s Junho and Won Jin Ah’s day out at an amusement park.

See Also: 2PM's Nichkhun Discusses His Long Hiatus In Korea, Acting Career, And Hopes For The Future

The last episode of the drama showed Kang Doo (Junho) and Moon Soo (Won Jin Ah) slowly growing closer to each other. Unlike before when they had a certain distance between them, they became comfortable enough with one another to joke around.

It was also revealed that the two had survived the shopping mall collapse together. Although Kang Doo remembered Moon Soo, Moon Soo had lost her memories due to the trauma and failed to recognize Kang Doo. The final scene of the two looking at the construction site in the rain raised the question of how their relationship will unfold in the future.

The released pictures show Kang Doo and Moon Soo at an amusement park, a popular destination for couples. As the two go on a Merry-Go-Round, Kang Doo is seen wearing a cute hairband that stands out from his scarred face. While he is smiling shyly, Moon Soo looks away expressionlessly. Another photo shows Kang Doo unable to take his eyes off Moon Soo with a wide smile.

Junho-Won-Jin-Ah11.jpg

On the upcoming episode of “Just Between Lovers,” Kang Doo and Moon Soo are to become even closer as they work together in reconstructing a memorial stone. The released pictures are from the scene where Kang Doo suggests they take a day off and visit an amusement park together after he senses Moon Soo’s complicated feelings. The two end up going on a date that’s both awkward and adorable.

The production staff of “Just Between Lovers” shared, “The two share the same scars and pain. Please look forward to the scene that’ll show the lovable chemistry between Kang Doo and Moon Soo who feel most at ease when they’re with each other.”

So busy with holiday rush and all but got holiday off.

Thumbs up to JTBC  because 2 of what I consider to be well written, well acted, well directed excellent dramas of 2017 has come from this network. I'm picky when it comes dramas I choose to watch. produced high quality dramas this year and just goes to show excellent  drama doesn't depend on popularity of the stars but how well the story was told, the high quality of the script, the acting skills of unknown/ rookie actors.  And now this drama (plus Untouchable) too... to end the year! Thanks JTBC.

Won Jin Ah. Rookie actress and getting praises as Moon Soo

cr: as tagged.

Really like her voice.  It's not squeaky cutesy, damsel in distress voice.  It's big and strong  which suits her character here MS.  By no means she's able to move on after the tragedy. She dwells on it. She tries to recall the events during the disaster.

If you wan to see video of that scene in the twt post...

Spoiler

If you're watching this drama  then  you know there is social, moral commentary resonating in this drama. From the first episode all the way to most recent  episode 4. From buildings, engineers, architects, and workers, to each of the characters.

We're familiar with the main cast and what they have to deal with,   but there's also the  'paraplegic'  friend of MS. The 'special' friend of GD (not sure how to describe Sang Min), the drunk depressed mother, the  father who keeps to himself and wants divorce, the club owner noona, the grandma who lives alone and supplies meds/painkillers,  the intern sister , the co worker who likes to beautify for self esteem.  All orevolve around  the main characters.  I feel the disaster affected everyone. How they are at present time may have something to do with that.

I shared  episode 1 review from Hancinema (see page 8). The reviewer mentioned even if it's romance drama, "class consciousness" is tackled and presented and I agree.  We can see that from the different characters. 

Gang Doo and  Moon Soo, they survive the tragedy but they're traumatised. 

GD: "But still, Some people seem to live comfortably having forgotten everything. It's not fair

Grandma: "Hey, how would know if that person feels at ease? It doesn't mean someone is in bigger pain just because he cries louder.- Ep 4"

Spoiler

DRpXBvhW4AIuRTf.jpg

DRpXCWpX0AAMzyY.jpgDRpXDCmX0AEvkk4.jpg

Cr hajer ss

Archived