[Drama 2017-2018] Just Between Lovers 그냥 사랑하는 사이

Go Seung Ji

4 hours ago, babycrayon said:

@darr  Did you try ....  I watched the 2 episodes there and didn't see any problem.

Thank u so much. I watched episode 1 here and checked out d sites u usually use. They are OK.  Annoyance made me abandon the drama after the first day.

I really appreciate.

Wonderful drama. So sad.acting well depicted. I love it. Hope we will hv lots to discuss about the drama as it progresses 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched episode 2 for the second time again. I just finished. It was 12 yrs ago when the accident happened. GD  MS GD were all on the same mall when  it collapsed.

The tragedy that struck MS lingers to the point that  it drove parents  to  wallow on their own. They grieve for the loss  differently. The mother mourning and still cannot forget the daughter who died, drinks  to forget. The father,   has become quiet and withdrawn.  MS, though suffering emotionally because of the tragedy, tries and live  each day hoping  that everything will be alright trying to stay alive and sane. We do see her vulnerability. She covers  the pain inside. with strong bravado. When  co worker insulted her she retorted back... "before you criticized someone else's face, take a look at your own face."  That co worker deserves that!  Good that MS have sense to retort back.

GD approach the trauma is  a nonchalance.  He is angry.  It is hurting him. he masked that pain why being strong outside but inside, the events haunts him.  He dreams about the incident and has to take pain killer/ drugs.

The grandmother who supplies him  with medicines describes his character so aptly during their scene.

Grandma: "You might seem fine on  outside, but  you're not normal. Just because you're young, don't abuse your body. This crazy bstrd!"

GD..."How can I live without going crazy? In this crazy world?"

Grandma: "Hang on to your mind tightly. If your body hurts,  you can take medicine, for that ( mind) medicine doesn't work"

But at some point in the drama  there will be a meltdown.  A  breakdown.  A person suffering from trauma and hurting and having survival guilt, someone who has been in similar situation will understand the years hurt is endured.

I'm liking Won Jin ah more and more.  showing great potential. If you're following the the thread or reason articles, she got the lead part through audition. Thumbs up. to that.  She's got  big voice. Strong one and distinct which I  like.

Le Jun Ho. I prefer him in melodrama rather than rom-com. He's doing  a good job with his acting here. 

Lee Ki Woo. happy he's not a bad guy here!  is character as JW good man.

JW  is caring and thoughtful and considerate.  He knew already it was GD who shattered the marker. He doesn't know why but he knew.  He will not report him but on the condition that he works as like a spy to see how things are.  JW wants to prevent the same thing that happened 12 yrs ago.  His father was the project manager who was over seeing the construction where GD dad was part of. He brought along SJ . I think the father suffered from this disaster.

GD MS JW doesn't know that each was  on the that very same mall. That disaster affected how they see thing at present. How they suffered from that  accident.  JW  who may look so fine outside also dealing with  issues.

I'm mostly interested in GD. he's the one I'm  mostly afraid. Afraid he might do something to himself. if he can't control it anymore. 

GD: "When you're about to die, the only person you care for is yourself"

My choice of dramas to watch hasn't  failed me. This is a good one.

Spots on @jongski!  Things that happened in our lives especially when growing up can make or Mar us. Lee jungsun is a delight to watch. All of them are doing great. At least the lead girl has her mum and dad though their marriage is messed up but he has only the sister. The sister on the other hand is trying so hard to stay focused on the future but it's affecting her. What a broken family. 

Life. The drama should be remained the worst tragedy ever.

On 2017-12-14 at 4:10 PM, blademan said:

So I have a question. Why are there 2 scenarios as to how the incident occurred? The first one we saw was that she was facing her sister when it happened but the other one she was looking at a one-way glass?? 

I was confused by that/those scenes too, but I think it's just cutting/editing of the scenes that seems off. Hopefully:D

@blademan (Hello Chingu! :) ) and @ziarama - Wasn't the first one a dream she kept having? She was then facing her sister and the sister was smiling and waving at her before being swallowed by a cloud of dust.

I took her dream as a symbol which expresses her guilt and also the complexities of how we remember things. Of course, the sister was not waving (I doubt she was smiling and waving just before dying) but it represents her bubbly personnality and expresses more strongly her loss. Moreover, it might have been how she remembers it, the memory she created and built because she does not seem to remember clearly what happened then. Again it's symbolic. The flashbacks are in this way presenting how things really happened: MS was facing GD I would assume.

I’m really curious to what’s the reason behind Kang Doo’s sister to blame and criticise her brother as the bad guy who always do as he pleased and being angry at their sick mother. I’m sure his sister misunderstood him, as we can see Kang Doo isn’t that type who opens up and talks about his emotion and feeling well.

He always try to appear strong towards his sister. Like in ep 1 when she came over to pass back the money to Kang Doo, he kept avoiding to answer all her questions, rejecting the feeling of pity and pushing the concern back to his sister.

12 hours ago, carolinedl said:

Wasn't the first one a dream she kept having? She was then facing her sister and the sister was smiling and waving at her before being swallowed by a cloud of dust.

It was, you're right. But I think her dreams are memories, just as you says. Memories she tells her family-and maybe even herself-she doesn't remember. 

Hello everyone! I'm usually just a lurker around forums and I don't always post on threads but I just want to express my feelings for this series haha! We're only two episodes in but I'm already super hooked! I hope more people find out about the drama 'cause I really sense great potential.

I have a lot of things to gush about. first of all, the cast is perfect imo. I haven't seen our two main leads in their previous projects but they're really amazing here. I can sense how hard they've worked for their roles. Second, I want to talk about the setting. Its really like a breathe of fresh air to see a different side of Korea in a sense. Most kdramas often take place in suburbs or fancys places, hospitals, historical/traditional settings and schools so those are the things I mostly envision when thinking about their country. Being on a seaside I think is not so common, usually they go to places like those for one episode or so. I remember in one of the episodes where JW's ex(?)/step sister arrives, her car goes through this bridge and a huge building was in the background, I was like "wow I don't think I've ever seen this before" maybe its just me but I really like it. As well as the construction site and the fact that they go through this road that seems almost deserted. It makes me feel like its really a different world but its still immersive.

Now I'm really in love with our two main leads so I have some things to talk about them. When MS was younger, you can see that she'd like to prep up especially for a guy she likes but her current self can't seem to be bothered. That doesn't mean she doesn't care tho as we saw her become conscious of her appearance during the meeting. I feel for her so much at that moment and I hope she gest a chance to treat herself because she deserves it! Her relationship with her parents is really complex and I kinda relate to it too. I'm glad her mom doesn't hate her for surviving. I know she(mom) was upset at first but now she's just more like grieving, thinking that its her fault. I think the whole family is thinking that way actually. They all need hugs. BUT THE BIGGEST HUG I THINK SHOULD BE GIVEN TO PRECIOUS HURT BOY KANG DOO. Where do I even start? I'm just- I feel so bad for him. Junho is really doing a fantastic job in portraying the character. KD feels so self destructive but not in the way where you know he's doing it intentionally. He's just really fed up and outspoken and that's the reason why he gets beaten up a lot (poor boy). He's not picking fights because he wants to, he just feels so wronged and expresses it vocally that it triggers the people. But then he's also willing to lose a bit of himself (figuratively speaking) just so he can survive in this crazy world. How forsaken must he have felt to end up this way?

I can't wait for the next episodes to come, I have so many questions like: 'How did KD survive?'

'How did he fall apart with his sister?'

'Where was JW when the mall accident happened?'

'When will MS come to terms with her feelings and tell her mom she wasn't with her sister when the accident happen??'

'Will MS' parents get back together?'

'How will MS react when she sees KD suffering from a trauma attack? Will she even see him having one?'

'Will our two leads find out they were near each other when the accident occured?'

'Where is the guy that MS was suppose to meet at the mall?'

Sorry for the long post, its been a long week waiting for JBL episodes.

11 hours ago, aiwa9 said:

I’m really curious to what’s the reason behind Kang Doo’s sister to blame and criticise her brother as the bad guy who always do as he pleased and being angry at their sick mother. I’m sure his sister misunderstood him, as we can see Kang Doo isn’t that type who opens up and talks about his emotion and feeling well.

He always try to appear strong towards his sister. Like in ep 1 when she came over to pass back the money to Kang Doo, he kept avoiding to answer all her questions, rejecting the feeling of pity and pushing the concern back to his sister.

On the day the sister's birthday the building collapsed and the father died.  He's now the the one trying to be the father and brother at the same time.  He must think it's his fault for what happened. The same way, that Moon Soo also has that survivalist guilt. The mother blamed her. for not being with the younger sister.

@meguna thank you for your thoughts.  Yes the cinematography is a beauty. Good camera work as well.  It adds up to the tone and  mood of the drama.  and  how you described  Gang  Doo and Moon Soo, I couldn't agree more.   They're both surviving and don't care much for appearance or how they go about their daily lives. If they stop and think and remember 12 yrs ago and how they were as family as  Gang Foo and Moon Soo,  it will trigger more of depressive state of mind.

7 hours ago, ziarama said:

It was, you're right. But I think her dreams are memories, just as you says. Memories she tells her family-and maybe even herself-she doesn't remember. 

Yeah but what I meant is that this particular memory is constructed. No? I cannot imagine the sister was waving and smiling just before the mall collapsed...

@jongski GD feels responsible for what happened? I did not get that impression personally. I feel more like he is angry at the system, at the higher ups who still wanted to open the mall despite its problems, etc. And that is why he is leading that type of life... I don't think he thinks it is his fault...

28 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

Yeah but what I meant is that this particular memory is constructed. No? I cannot imagine the sister was waving and smiling just before the mall collapsed...

@jongski GD feels responsible for what happened? I did not get that impression personally. I feel more like he is angry at the system, at the higher ups who still wanted to open the mall despite its problems, etc. And that is why he is leading that type of life... I don't think he things it is his fault...

Agree!!! With every word. She is the one who feels guilty for leaving her Sister behind but GD is a different case.

For the Dreams - I believe it is importend to find out what the sister will show us - but I too believe this is just a scene from the Dream - not a real Memory. Like there is a hidden Message for MS.

49 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

@jongski GD feels responsible for what happened? I did not get that impression personally. I feel more like he is angry at the system, at the higher ups who still wanted to open the mall despite its problems, etc. And that is why he is leading that type of life... I don't think he things it is his fault...

@carolinedl @Mau_Cherry  Thanks. Yes. You're right wasn't able to express that sentiment. He is angry at the system.  I read the Hancinema review again. It's the system and the practice and how it could have been prevented.

I also admire Lee Ki Woo's  character here. He wanted to prevent the same mistake again. I wonder if his father was blamed and suffered because of that tragedy.

Hello everyone!

I'm also really liking this drama :)  I didn't expect Lee Ki Woo having such great chemistry with Won Jin ah, i really liked their interactions...but i can't handle any more second lead syndrome this year, Namgil in Go back couple destroyed me haha...Luckily Junho is great in the drama too, looking forward to the otp scenes next week~ 

4 hours ago, jongski said:

@carolinedl @Mau_Cherry  Thanks. Yes. You're right wasn't able to express that sentiment. He is angry at the system.  I read the Hancinema review again. It's the system and the practice and how it could have been prevented.

I also admire Lee Ki Woo's  character here. He wanted to prevent the same mistake again. I wonder if his father was blamed and suffered because of that tragedy.

Yeah, his father committed suicide because he was the one blamed for the accident. Hence he tells MS that it was not 48 people who died, but 49. He also includes his father in the death toll. 

3 hours ago, carolinedl said:

Yeah, his father committed suicide because he was the one blamed for the accident. Hence he tells MS that it was not 48 people who died, but 49. He also includes his father in the death toll. 

I just wanted to answer but you was faster - yes and because of that his entire Family was destroyed and he ended up in that awful Family - knowing that his Mother is treated like a maid.

I will suffer with a triangle Loveline - but I see it coming. A Person like MS who cares and tries to prevent and still remeber and respect the victims...  must feel like warm sunshine for JW. Not greedy or manipulating . Still - I am so in love with the Character of Junho already. Can´t wait to see them fall in Love with each other. I love the Preview.

I have to check the Writer.... he or she can´t have a tendency to sad endings - otherwise I need to turn a few tables. I need a happy end for a story like this - many people suffered a lot.

For GD - he hates the system - can´t believe or trust easily and I guess he hates rich people too who can use money to cover any wrongdoings. I guess thats the reason he like his friend. He is a bit simple minded - but good at heart. He don´t lie  - he seems to not even know about greed. Its not always easy for GD around him - just because of the deep Love the Mother have for her Son but still it seems to be his only real friend.

The Way I see GD - he is the type of man now who will do everything to protect the few people he has left --- when he falls in love he would not hesitate to risk his life for her - if needed.

I am a bit twisted - will I want to find out if i am right. I love rescue scenes. But I don´t want him to suffer more!

edit:

WHAAAA - I checked the Writer - its the Writer from Secret!!! OMG!!! This Drama nearly killed me back than - but I love it.

@Mau_Cherry It warms my heart seeing how GD loves and protects Sang Man/SM <3 Even when SM's mother told GD to correct SM while knowing SM is lacking, GD answered backing up SM "How is he lacking? He's normal" and then added "No one acts their age anyway" which is so true also lol..

a0049082_5a35d9c5b7e82.jpg

a0049082_5a35d9cbd08ce.jpg

a0049082_5a35d9d18ada9.jpg

19 hours ago, meguna said:

'How did he fall apart with his sister?'

'When will MS come to terms with her feelings and tell her mom she wasn't with her sister when the accident happen??'

'Will our two leads find out they were near each other when the accident occured?'

Sorry to cut your post short. But I will try to answer some of your questions. I might have more knowledge since I've read the character description on the drama website and watched the 8 minute highlight of the drama that included scenes from future episodes.

If it's part of the character description, I don't think it's spoiler. If it's part of the highlight clip, I will write *spoiler alert*

1. 'How did he fall apart with his sister?'

KD was a promising soccer player and he was in a coma for three months after the accident. Then he was hospitalized for three years while going through rebab for his leg. During this time, his mother sells the house and started a restaurant. But the restaurant closes down 2 months after because she was conned. When KD is finally able to stand up (I am thinking literally and figuratively), his mom collapses due to cancer. She dies when he's 18 (17 in actual age).  When he gets himself together at age 20 (19 in actual age), he finds himself with bad credit history and no education or skills. He does everything he can because he doesn't want to become a burden to his sister (who is 2 years younger than KD)

From his sister's perspective, according to the character description, it says "KD is just a pathetic older brother who lives as he pleases and unlike her, dispirited. She doesn't understand him for always being haunted and chained by the past. However, he's her only family, at the most decisive moment, she always sides with him."

I am not sure if this is an answer to your question but I think it provides better understanding.

2. When will MS come to terms with her feelings and tell her mom she wasn't with her sister when the accident happen?

*spoiler alert*

It seems like MS suffers from memory loss. So it's possible that MS really doesn't remember this.

3. 'Will our two leads find out they were near each other when the accident occured?'

*spoiler alert*

KD finds out and is initially upset that MS doesn't remember. But he finds out that MS is suffering from a memory loss, so he's divided on whether he should tell her or not. Grandma tells him to keep it a secret. 

Archived