[Drama 2017-2018] Just Between Lovers 그냥 사랑하는 사이

Go Seung Ji

I will bet my money on..

CM was goign to meet our hero in the mall..

her sister was pointing out the guy to her.. who was standing behind..the boy she were to meet aka hero

sister is not dead..but rather adopted by hero :) ( dead give away -- "how diff can you be when you are from same mother.." but what if you are not :tongue: .. then it is established that the girl is pretty..like sister was and was reigning child artist)

just give me hot kisses

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Just Lovers" Episode 1

2017/12/11

photo919287.jpg

At first glance, "Just Lovers" is a typical romance. You've got the woman, Moon-soo (played by Won Jin-ah), who suffered through a horrible tragedy in her teen years, and now struggles to keep her family together economically and emotionally. Then you've got the man, Kang-doo (played by Junho), with a similar tragic backstory who is...wait, he's not rich? Kang-doo is just a working class construction worker who lives in constant rage about how the world is fundamentally unjust? And he hangs out in the foreigner districts?

"Just Lovers" has something I have not seen in a drama in quite some time - class consciousness. I mean sure, "Awl" was literally a drama about union organizing, but then that was the focus. On the job. Kang-doo doesn't think in terms like that. To Kang-doo, the job is functional. He makes money, and maybe can prevent future tragedies from happening. But the people who run the operation should never be trusted. Especially if he doesn't like their attitude.

There's an obvious metaphor in the backstory about how the building was structurally unsound. Actually, the entire system, specifically the system that constructed the building in the first place, was structurally unsound. Kang-doo has no faith in his capitalist overseers to treat workers or consumers as anything except disposable commodities and his actions, however self-destructive, reflect an essential belief that it's better to destroy himself than let others destroy him.

Now, Moon-soo, she's nowhere near as far gone. As an architect, Moon-soo believes that the system is sound- even as she struggles through poverty because architecture is not a high demand profession. Moon-soo understands fear as being inherently irrational- not that this ever stops her from always taking the stairs. Fear, once learned, is nearly impossible to unlearn. It always comes back in nightmares after all. That much, Moon-soo and Kang-doo have in common.

I really liked how "Just Lovers" starts out by making Moon-soo seem miserable, and then Kang-doo shows up and we see almost immediately that he has it even worse. Yet for all its tragic undercurrents, "Just Lovers" is never anywhere near maudlin. It's characters are just too well-drawn and easy to relate to for that. We want them to succeed but neither we nor they have any idea what success means. We may know from the title alone that Moon-soo and Kang-doo will get together romantically, but it's unclear whether even that happy ending can solve any of their problems.

Review by William Schwartz

"Just Lovers" is directed by Kim Jin-won-I, written by Yoo Bo-ra, and features Junho, Won Jin-ah, Lee Ki-woo, and Kang Han-na

Source: https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-just-lovers-episode-1-113234.html

Cr: hancinema.net

Okay.  I watched  ep 1 and 2 not understanding raw.  I will correct myself and my post ( see previous page) because of the building collapsing wasn't any explosion/implosion.  Just wasn't structurally sound.. when they built it.

In ep 1 she saved him. In ep 2 he save her.  Two wounded souls emotional physically scarred.

Credit as tagged on pic.

1 hour ago, itgirl said:

It seems like Viki posted the full version (1hr 15min 23 sec) for the Episode 2. 

i'm so glad to hear they don't cut more scenes! <3

Hyoo Joo also likes the drama ^^

Seems they still keep in touch after Cold Eyes <3

1 hour ago, itgirl said:

It seems like Viki posted the full version (1hr 15min 23 sec) for the Episode 2. 

Thank goodness! I hope we continue to get the full episodes. I was having flashbacks to Scarlet Heart Ryeo where there were 2 versions and each had different scenes. Don't want to go through that again.

Thanks to everyone for the info on missing scenes, episode recaps/impressions, gifs, etc. I'm waiting for full subs before watching the episodes to comment. I'm looking forward to this drama and hope that it will be a good story with a happy ending. Like others here, I hope that we don't have any love triangles. Separate lovelines between the main and second leads would be great. I like it when the second leads find their own "happy ending" instead of just pining after the main leads until the end. And 2 love stories instead of just one-yes! I guess we'll see.

Spoiler
17 hours ago, turtleaxis said:

It seems like the big accident was based on a real life event, the collapse of Sompoong mall in 95. I wonder if they'll be some of the legal controversies from that, for now everything seems to still very much revolve around the two main leads. I'm hoping to watch with subs soon. 

I've found one link, but haven't checked it out yet :

same as Black on OCN.. they also based it one sompong

For everyone hooked after two episodes. Saw someone uploaded this on Twitter: 8 minutes of recaps and Spoliers, of scenes to come.:love:

http://tv.naver.com/v/2399912

6 hours ago, enigmatic_zephy said:

CM was goign to meet our hero in the mall..

her sister was pointing out the guy to her.. who was standing behind..the boy she were to meet aka hero

sister is not dead..but rather adopted by hero :) ( dead give away -- "how diff can you be when you are from same mother.." but what if you are not :tongue: .. then it is established that the girl is pretty..like sister was and was reigning child artist)

I don't think they were. I think he just liked her at first sight. She didn't recognize him in passing and he looked too surprised when he saw her through the window. And he had plans with his dad, that fell through, before the accident. 

The sister being Ha Moon-Soo's real sister, I don't know, it wouldn't make sense for a child to adopt a child. I really hope they don't make a "dead-sister-isn't-dead'but-lost-and-has-only-lost-her-memory-all-those-years" story line.

Why r subs so slow??? :(...anyway...even with half raw 2nd ep i really loved it...it was sad and it will be sad but i love it 

2 deeply hurt characters but both really strong indviduals...it would be easier to give in to the pain like girl's mother do (btw i loved scene when our girl got mad then crushed infront of the mother, hope things will go a bit better from now on)  but they both prefer to fight...each on is own way

Second lead guy is ok but what can i say way to late for the girl...just like his ex for him...or he might have change of heart at the end

Can't wait for next eps...and more OTP scenes....they do have good chemistry...hope our guy won't be beat up again so soon...let us see his face without bruises and cuts for a change :wink:

@ziarama tnx for sharing the clip :)

20 minutes ago, zagigirl said:

Second lead guy is ok but what can i say way to late for the girl...just like his ex for him...or he might have change of heart at the end

h

I get the feeling that the second lead is going to turn out to be more of a big brother, supporter than a love interest/rival. Like Yoo Ji-Tae's character in Healer-type. 

I think some of the deleted scenes in ep 1 are flashbacks for ep 2. It's unfortunate that they cut those scenes tho, having seen the raw version it does make that episode feel a little jarring.

I have to say, I'm more invested than I thought I would be, the first episode was a bit slow but it didn't feel boring. Both Junho and Won Jinah are doing amazing with their roles, Junho's face is so ridiculously expressive, even if he doesn't say much we can feel the anger and frustration he's holding in. I LOVE the whole scene when he woke up from a nightmare and picked a fight with the man who fired him, that anger is so palpable. Likewise, WJA's breakdown scene with her mom in episode 2 is also great, it made me tear up lol. We haven't really seen much of our two leads together, but the chemistry looks good so far.

This Drama deserves more Attention.

I am back after watching Ep. 2 with subs. Only two or three sentences are missing - sadly I feel like those words are importend.

I get a picture now. The Engenier who was on the field and stopped Gang Doos Father from leaving - I guess he was Joo Wons Father and the Son who helped was Joo Won himself. Like that - Joo Won was there too when the Mall collapsed.

The Engenier later took the blame and his life - when I am right it had to be some kind of deal. Someone must take the blame - and like this The Engeniers Wife became the new Wife from the rich in real responsible old CEO. Like this the two fathers had to clean up the mess - and to give his son influence and power the Father sacrificed himself. Not only he - the Mother too - she don´t like the old CEO. Joo Won liked Yoo Jin - but he is talking in the past. For her - the Feelings are still the same.

I feel sooooo sad - so terrible sad - no wonder Gang Doo can´t believe in others anymore. Moon Soo was rescued right in front of his Eyes - and noone came for him. He needed to move the stone with the bar to rescue himself and that must hurt a lot. I wonder who came to rescue him in the end - the person (from the Hand I would say a Man) wears a white sleave.

Moon Soo is of course not to blame - sure it would be wonderful if she had told the man about the Boy - but she was in Shock. They share a Nightmare - but Gang Doos situation got even worst.

When he was in Hospital his Mother died - she was ill. He is only left with his Sister and he tries everything to help her out. She is not happy too. Her Life is difficult too.

In Ep. 1 some of the Womand had said that Moon Soos Mother bought the Bathhouse with the Money she got to sold out her DAughter. I guess the Builder from the Mall paid 48 Persons Money to cover it all up. Joo Won knows all about it and he for sure will not happen that again but he knows his "new" Family too well.

I fear the Love Triangle is about to come. Right now Joo Won shows Moon Soo his concern and can easily fall for him. Gang Doo hides his true self - he dont waist his breath to explain anything - noone will really care or - in the case of his sister she will just be worried.

The Medicine Seller seams to be the only Person Gang Doo open up a bit. She knows him since very long. Since the time he tried hard to get Money for the Hospital Bills of his Mother. Gosh - when was that... right after he came out of Reha... Hmm - not sure when his Mother died. Maybe not when he was in Hospital but later.

I love the Preview! I hate to wait one Week now! I hope she will not misunderstand Gang Doo for long.

As in the Past Gang Doo is atraccted by Moon Soo. Just he is not the innocent Kid anymore. Can´t wait for the Lovestory to beging. And I really really really hope the Writer will not take the stupid path to seperate them after they found each other - I hope when they start to trust each other and love each other - this can be stronger.

We need a lot of Healing in that Drama.

I feel like I watch a Movie in a lot of Scenes. I wish to find the wonderful Music.

17 hours ago, ziarama said:

For everyone hooked after two episodes. Saw someone uploaded this on Twitter: 8 minutes of recaps and Spoliers, of scenes to come.:love:

http://tv.naver.com/v/2399912

I don't think they were. I think he just liked her at first sight. She didn't recognize him in passing and he looked too surprised when he saw her through the window. And he had plans with his dad, that fell through, before the accident. 

The sister being Ha Moon-Soo's real sister, I don't know, it wouldn't make sense for a child to adopt a child. I really hope they don't make a "dead-sister-isn't-dead'but-lost-and-has-only-lost-her-memory-all-those-years" story line.

yup watching ep2  now.. looks like he indeed has a sister

Kang Doo and Moon Soo way of handling frustration seems totally the opposite. MS would just try to swallow them, and put up a smile to cover her pain. While KD is being all expressive and letting them all go - channeling them by fighting injust things around him.

The actors aren't crying but watching them I feel like crying... accidents do happen and people keep dying accidentally everyday around the world, survivors might either turn into fighters or miserable looking forward only to the end of their lives. 

Its a good shot that the show makers decided to show both the versions, leads as fighters and few others like FL's mom as miserable. I'm still conversing myseelf to watch further as i know its in for all the viewers to shed lots of tears.

Love the sea-side city and its locations, giving a different vibe to the show altogether, in awe with all the technical details of the show like OST, direction, cinematography, acting, needless to act that it has a good story 

Ah I really like this show. I came for Junho (I am a big fan of his acting, I love "Memory") but I discovered Won Jin-A in this show. I LOVE her voice, like wow!! Really looking forward to seeing more of her. So you add him and her, and the chemistry is just off the roof!

Anyway, there is so much more than the leads here.

First, I kinda like how they are treating this whole trauma thing, especially how mess-up both their lives are because of the accident. And yet, it's not overtly melodramatic. LIke @Amulya Kolusu said, there is not much actual crying, but you feel this overwhelming sadness or uneasiness around them. It's subtle, and I like that.

The chemistry is great like I said. They are curious and yet awkward around each other. I dunno... it's like totally realistic in a sense. And they are adults and don't try to avoid each other either. Again, it's all in the subtilities, how they react to one another. No? It's really hard to explain... Nothing is too over the top which makes it so agreable to watch.

@aiwa9 - very true. I should become interesting once she lets go a bit...

A few character notes, now that I've watched both episodes with subs, I guess KD has some untreated anxiety? It makes sense now why we've only been getting glimpses of his incident while we've pretty much gone over MS. While it's always a sad memory she can't ever forget, for him it's more like a trauma he still can't get over. Rather than confront his memories he seems to try his best to just 'get over it' which we all know is the worst way to handle your anxiety. He seems to be trying his best to live without troubling anyone he cares about, and it's heartening to see his attempts to provide for his sister (he pocketed her student loan notice) when they both know he's the one worse off, no doubt there must be some misplaced guilt from his end that they ended up this way.  

I also really loved that nightclub scene, and how KD taking money to get hit juxtaposed with the call girl selling herself for money, that sense of exploitation and indignity was so strong and I really love how this drama doesn't seem to be romanticising the issue (yet), it was not an easy scene to watch. Also, yay for rough and tough male leads who respect women! Two episodes in and we've seen him pick fights, get beaten up and curse up a storm, but still no female manhandling and I seriously hope this is going to be a character trait.

MS's story is more straightforward, there's not much analysis there, but her relationship with her parents is definitely complex, and it seems like she's taken it upon herself to 'save' her family but some broken things just can't be fixed and I don't think her parents' relationship is salvageable. JW is very much a second lead, rich guy trope so far lol, hopefully we'll get a more fleshed out characterisation is the episodes to come.

27 minutes ago, turtleaxis said:

I also really loved that nightclub scene, and how KD taking money to get hit juxtaposed with the call girl selling herself for money, that sense of exploitation and indignity was so strong and I really love how this drama doesn't seem to be romanticising the issue (yet), it was not an easy scene to watch. Also, yay for rough and tough male leads who respect women! Two episodes in and we've seen him pick fights, get beaten up and curse up a storm, but still no female manhandling and I seriously hope this is going to be a character trait.

Ah yes, very true!!! I totally love that! That makes it so refreshing!

28 minutes ago, turtleaxis said:

MS's story is more straightforward, there's not much analysis there, but her relationship with her parents is definitely complex, and it seems like she's taken it upon herself to 'save' her family but some broken things just can't be fixed and I don't think her parents' relationship is salvageable.

I think that is because she feels guilty too, for having survived, but also for not remembering/lying about not remembering. Hence the guilt... If she had protected her sister by staying with her or allowing her to follow, then her parents would still be together and she would not be scared that her mother might take her own life, etc. She does not express it as much as KD but I think that is why she is probably more anxious than he is, because she keeps it all inside. I think there might be some more guilt to be developped too, as she got out the rumbles before KD did.

Archived