Quantcast
Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, corey said:

You are not watching Money FLower?

Too much on your plate, I suppose.

 

Yes, unfortunately at the moment it's like this. :(  If I am able to finish Empress Ki more quickly or if I drop any of the new dramas, I might try to catch up on Money Flower later.... :kiss_wink:

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Congrats “Money Flower” ratings crosses the 20% mark!    Ep 19: AGB National = 17.0% AGB Seoul = 17.1%   Ep 20: AGB National = 20.7% AGB Seoul = 20.6%

Written preview episodes 21 and 22:   Jung Mal Ran reveals Pil joo's real identity to Jang Sung Man! Doubting Boo cheon's lineage, Sung-man attempts another DNA test! Meanwhile, Boo Cheon re

Location of Mooshimwon revealed :   MBC's weekend drama 'Money Flower' is attracting attention being labelled as a 'masterpiece'. Main location shots are held at 'Mooshimwon' , translated as

Posted Images

Here are my thoughts on the first 2 episodes. 

 

Started the episode seeing the ML literally stalking the FL. Then we come to know, he already has got her schedule, and all this is part of the big painted by him. At first when I saw him getting arrested and going to prison in place of Chairman's son, I thought, now his revenge starts after being betrayed like this, but no, it was more of a voluntary thing. Anyway, Kang Pil Joo, the ML seems to be having a twisted sort of personality here. From the looks of it, he does love or at least like the girl, who he wants the chairman's grandson marry. Now, this girl named Na Mo Hyun herself might look ordinary, but she is actually daughter of a congressman who wants to be a President. 

 

Time to time we see Kang Pil Joo being trusted and looked upon by the chairman, his daughter-in law to whom he really looks to be loyal and has sort of special relationship with. Also her son, Jang Boo Cheon, who might be a crazy guy and slight dumb, overall not so fit to run a company, who on one side does not really like Pil Joo, is jealous of him, but also does rely on him and knows without Pil Joo, he might not really survive in the company. 


There is a serious power struggle going on, chairman seems to be favoring Jang Yeo Chun, his younger grandson and cousin of Jang Boo Cheon as his heir, taking power away from Jung Boo Cheon and his mom. As I said, Kang Pil Joo is actually Jung Mal Lan and son's person. They trust him, and even the chairman does it, both party know how important he actually is for the company. 

 

Now after watching 2 episodes, I am still clueless to which direction this drama will go. By the end of episode 2, it does look like everything is part of big picture drawn by Pil Joo and he does have grudges against people for whom he is working. But what makes him really good is, how he makes others want him, knows his place but also his value, time to time we see Boo Cheon actually begging to him, like not leaving him for Yeo Cheon. 

 

But what I have seen is, he really does love or has feelings for Mo Hyun, but looks like his revenge is larger than his feelings for her, making her a piece or a pawn in his board game of revenge. Will be interesting to see how things happen. But I really love how calculative Pil Joo is. How he gets things done, how he knows his value and makes people want him. Plus Jang Hyuk's portrayal of him as a cold, silent person, is amazing. 

  • Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, corey said:

I was actually trying to write notes on Money Flower in a similar manner as for The Innocent Man, and it turned out that I could not. Again, when re-watching this drama I am awed by Jang Hyuk to the point that I cannot come up with any witty comments. :(

 

 

 

 

You will not believe my disappointment! After seeing your comments over there I came to see your witty remarks here and bummer! :lol:

 

Anywho, I’m delayed. I think I’ll participate more next week. 

  • Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

So, here's what I thought after having watched the first 2 episodes :

It's a bit too makjang-ish for me.
Don't get me wrong. I like it and I'm hooked at this moment (I'm kinda a sucker for office/business-related theme drama)
The story is quite intriguing, it is well-paced ; no unnecesary story-dragging scenes, and the actings are all-around superb.
But.
As I said before ; it is quite "soap opera-ish". There is nothing really new about the story or the plot ; power struggle between chaebol family members, love triangles, political play, the trope of childhood sweethearts meeting again, etc etc.
All in all, I'm entertained, and decided to stìck for next episodes. Despite all the clichés I still must say this is a well-delivered drama (so far).
Subsequently the characters are also mainly depicted in stereotypes. E.g : the good for nothing, only-surviving-thanks-to-lineage-and-connection heir Jang Boo Cheon, the receptionist/mistress (whom I suspect that she won't let go easily and be obliging for very long) Yoon Seo Won, etc.
However there's a slightly different exception for the ML, Kang Pil Joo ; he's no ordinary drama ML who's usually almost flawless. At 2nd episode, we see snippets of events that apparently became the reason why he wants to take the revenge for. From what and how he meticulously prepares and investigates everything (including retaining a secret private assistant cum researcher), we can tell that the wheels are already set on motion long time ago.
It seems that his character is meant to be some kind of antihero ; he's in grey area ; he can't be defined as a bad guy, yet by the way he handles things, it shows that he also has some questionable traits in him and thinks that the means justify the ends ; he's too shady to be defined as good guy either. (Yes...yes.. I know that people bent on revenge usually will forsake all. Still, watching old wuxias gave me hope that revenge can be done without breaking moral codes. LOL sorry for my ramblings).
I still love him anyway. The smart, calculating, très dapper and cool Kang Pil Joo.:love:

83a1875e5fe70c71f091f34b397cba27e320c98c

 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. Now I see what all the fuss is for Money Flower. Such pretty cinematography (I'm coming from watching 2011 dramas so the difference is huge) and I particularly like the wide, open plains in the wildlife "expedition" scenes. It seems the female lead is really likable too. One minor complaint I have is the OST, I feel like the bg music for now is a bit generic (just enough to indicate trepidation or some emotion). Wish there will be moving songs/vocals later on.

 

The opening episodes hooked me in immediately (I was prepared for a slower burn) and it's interesting how I was thinking literally just yesterday that it would be nice if Jang Hyuk had an ex-con role similar to the leads in Padam Padam and lo and behold, I see him in a prison outfit!

 

Kang Pil Joo is my type of lead: mysterious, ambiguous motivations, most definitely hiding a soft spot for Na Mo Hyeon. 

 

Question: At the end of ep 2, did I get it right that Kang Pil Joo is the eldest grandchild of the Jang Family and someone tried to drown him/them after his father's funeral? If yes, does that make Jung Mal Ran his biological mom or stepmom?

 

On 10/6/2020 at 3:27 PM, Sleepy Owl said:

Now after watching 2 episodes, I am still clueless to which direction this drama will go. By the end of episode 2, it does look like everything is part of big picture drawn by Pil Joo and he does have grudges against people for whom he is working. But what makes him really good is, how he makes others want him, knows his place but also his value, time to time we see Boo Cheon actually begging to him, like not leaving him for Yeo Cheon. 

 

But what I have seen is, he really does love or has feelings for Mo Hyun, but looks like his revenge is larger than his feelings for her, making her a piece or a pawn in his board game of revenge. Will be interesting to see how things happen. But I really love how calculative Pil Joo is. How he gets things done, how he knows his value and makes people want him. Plus Jang Hyuk's portrayal of him as a cold, silent person, is amazing. 

Tee hee I think I can see the general direction the drama will go (it's makjang-ish, you're right) but I think it will definitely surprise me here and there.  There were two scenes that stand out in my mind. First was when he was watching from the balcony and declared he'll work with whomever wins the fist-fight between the cousins. Second was when he declared that Na Mo Hyeon is the type of person who will forgive everything once she falls in love, is he talking about himself as early as now?

 

On 10/7/2020 at 3:50 PM, croquembouche2018 said:

From what and how he meticulously prepares and investigates everything (including retaining a secret private assistant cum researcher), we can tell that the wheels are already set on motion long time ago.

I wonder how much his private assistant knows of his plans and what the Jang family thinks of their lawyer having his own assistant (since Kang Pil Joo seemed fine with inviting him inside for a drink). And on another note, is this really how the super rich families are? They treat them their lawyers as executive assistants who happen to have a knowledge of law and need them at all times so much that they have to live in the same house?

 

Edited by Jiyuu
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jiyuu said:

 

 

Question: At the end of ep 2, did I get it right that Kang Pil Joo is the eldest grandchild of the Jang Family and someone tried to drown him/them after his father's funeral? If yes, does that make Jung Mal Ran his biological mom or stepmom?

Yes you’re right he is the eldest grandchild and someone threw his brother into the sea, and his mum and him jumped in to save, but all died except him. 
 

Jung Mal Ran is not really the stepmom. Definitely not biological mum. His mum died. Pil Joo’s mother was the father’s mistress. 

4 hours ago, Jiyuu said:

. And on another note, is this really how the super rich families are? They treat them their lawyers as executive assistants who happen to have a knowledge of law and need them at all times so much that they have to live in the same house?

I think KPJ is an exception here. It’s also because he is very close to Bu Cheon, and I think there is some other background story to why they value him so much and make him part of the “family”. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2018 at 6:43 PM, BaiZiHua said:

Thanks for replying I will check it out then. I really love Jang Hyuk. I was so curious about this drama but since it has finished airing I was afraid to read comments because I'm scared I might see a spoiler. :rolleyes:

Hi @BaiZiHuaGlad to see you here! The last we 'communicated' was in The Journey Of Flower. :D

 

Am I late to reply this? Please watch Money Flower (if you haven't). Won't tell you more in order not to give the drama away. :D

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, corey said:

how do you like the soundtrack? MF soundtrack is my number one favourite (followed closely by Misaeng, though). And it contributes so much to the tone of the drama....I do not think I would have liked it so much without this OST.

For now I find it bland... or maybe even lacking? Only bg music for ep 1-2, no songs yet. Maybe because I'm coming from watching two other kdramas with very noticeable bg music and OST (Suits and Padam Padam). I'm looking forward to be proven wrong in the coming episodes though.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, corey said:

Ok, I cannot resist, here is my favourite piece which will be played later in the show, but I do not think this is considered a spoiler, right?

Wow @corey i actually don’t remember this bgm at all haha.

 

there are a few OSTs from the show that I like below

 

Spoiler

I remember a few vividly. The famous Death Star (classic music for every ending of that show) and My Way by Isu. Another one by Hyolyn “Dreamy Love” is also nice. 

 

21 hours ago, Jiyuu said:

For now I find it bland... or maybe even lacking? Only bg music for ep 1-2, no songs yet. Maybe because I'm coming from watching two other kdramas with very noticeable bg music and OST (Suits and Padam Padam). I'm looking forward to be proven wrong in the coming episodes though.

It get much better, no doubt! Like @corey said, I would even consider that MF’s music played a big part in getting viewers immersed in the plot itself. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites


I just finished watching 4th episode. What a ride :thumbsup:

Our KPJ is so cunning and smooth. I don't know whether I should be impressed or sad that he finally sticks to his original plans and let the woman he likes getting married to another man for the sake of his revenge's grand design. That marriage plan itself likely wouldn't be proceeding smoothly, now that the mistress receptionist came back (as predicted) ; with something up her sleeve.

That Jang patriarch doesn't have any conscience at all. KPJ's earlier assessment about him was spot on. There are only two kind of people in this world for Jang Kook Hwan ; those who are beneficial for his company and those who aren't. He ruthlessly pits his family members against each other and takes advantage of them for a single purpose : more profit for Cheong A Group . It's never about which progeny he loves more or less.

@Jiyuu
You mentioned your curiosity about whether rich families really treat their company lawyer almost equally to an assistant, and let them live in the same house too. I don't think that kind of treatment is common ; at least not from what I saw in kdrama land.
For me, there's one thing that I'm curious. Is the Jang clan really clueless about the existence of secret room where KPJ and his assistant do their planning, analyzing and storing the secret information ; including comprehensive data about all Jang family members. Do Jung Mal Ran and her children believe in KPJ completely that they don't have any suspicion about him whatsoever.

I mean, even if that part of the house is assigned as KPJ's private quarter, wouldn't the house owners would want to know the ongoings in their household. E.g ; can the delivery and installation for that many metal safety boxes really be done stealthily that the Jangs and their staff weren't aware of that.

  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 9:53 PM, croquembouche2018 said:

I just finished watching 4th episode. What a ride

Is this your 1st time watching MF? If you see my profile pic, it's a pic of Pil Joo. I love him with sleeve rolled up! Hahaha! And MF is my top fav drama. 1 always have one question, is it the drama is designed like this - as in people walk in & out of Pil Joo's bedroom as they please. I don't recall many people ever knocking the door first.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, budgerie said:

Is this your 1st time watching MF? If you see my profile pic, it's a pic of Pil Joo. I love him with sleeve rolled up! Hahaha! And MF is my top fav drama. 1 always have one question, is it the drama is designed like this - as in people walk in & out of Pil Joo's bedroom as they please. I don't recall many people ever knocking the door first.

 

 

@budgerie, yes this is my first time ever watching Money Flower.

 

So far I try to stick to schedule of 2 episodes/week, so I'm only down to 4th episode. I don't really recall the scenes when people going in and out KPJ's bedroom as they please. But one thing I remember in the 3rd or 4th episode, JBC tried to access KPJ's laptop in Piljoo's study room, but he failed due to password protection. Hence my curiosity, whether the Jangs really never investigated and explored KPJ's quarters and his other belongings. Because if I was a Jang, and I find out what he keeps in his secret room, I'll surely suspect him of something untoward.

 

Another thing that I find quite weird, is that sometimes the staff of the house (butler/driver(?), JMR's secretary) treat KPJ way too casually. As if they are also his superior, or at least as if they are on the same level with him in management-structural wise  E.g : remind him to try harder helping JMR and her son maintain their position in the company. CMIIW.

 

And yes... Pil Joo is so irresistable and fascinating, isn't he.  Who won't love him.

img_1509.jpg

He's got this charismatic, commanding and elegant aura befitting a chaebol offspring, more so than the other two grandsons.

  • Like 2
  • Love 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 9:53 PM, croquembouche2018 said:


@Jiyuu
You mentioned your curiosity about whether rich families really treat their company lawyer almost equally to an assistant, and let them live in the same house too. I don't think that kind of treatment is common ; at least not from what I saw in kdrama land.
For me, there's one thing that I'm curious. Is the Jang clan really clueless about the existence of secret room where KPJ and his assistant do their planning, analyzing and storing the secret information ; including comprehensive data about all Jang family members. Do Jung Mal Ran and her children believe in KPJ completely that they don't have any suspicion about him whatsoever.

I mean, even if that part of the house is assigned as KPJ's private quarter, wouldn't the house owners would want to know the ongoings in their household. E.g ; can the delivery and installation for that many metal safety boxes really be done stealthily that the Jangs and their staff weren't aware of that.

My question about lawyers being treated like executive assistants (except for the live in the same house part) is because I'm watching Midas together with Money Flower and Jang Hyuk was a lawyer for a rich family there too.

 

I think the secret room with that awesome wall of security boxes is in a separate place from the main compound where Pil Joo's quarter is. And I agree with that other comment about people coming in and going as they please in Pil Joo's apartment. No one knocks!

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, croquembouche2018 said:

@budgerie, yes this is my first time ever watching Money Flower.

Have a great time watching! I've watched it so many times so I ain't participating in the re-watch.

 

12 hours ago, croquembouche2018 said:

So far I try to stick to schedule of 2 episodes/week, so I'm only down to 4th episode. I don't really recall the scenes when people going in and out KPJ's bedroom as they please.

Maybe you haven't reached those episodes yet. Like JMR will just waltz in. The driver of JMR will just waltz in. Who else?

 

12 hours ago, croquembouche2018 said:

But one thing I remember in the 3rd or 4th episode, JBC tried to access KPJ's laptop in Piljoo's study room, but he failed due to password protection. Hence my curiosity, whether the Jangs really never investigated and explored KPJ's quarters and his other belongings. Because if I was a Jang, and I find out what he keeps in his secret room, I'll surely suspect him of something untoward.

The secret room isn't in the Jang premise. It's a place only PJ & his good friend YG know. From the outside, it looks like a showroom. The secret compartment is within the .......oops, I shall not go further.

 

12 hours ago, croquembouche2018 said:

Another thing that I find quite weird, is that sometimes the staff of the house (butler/driver(?), JMR's secretary) treat KPJ way too casually. As if they are also his superior, or at least as if they are on the same level with him in management-structural wise  E.g : remind him to try harder helping JMR and her son maintain their position in the company. CMIIW.

You'll get your answer as you watched on. Hahaha!!

 

12 hours ago, Jiyuu said:

My question about lawyers being treated like executive assistants (except for the live in the same house part) is because I'm watching Midas together with Money Flower and Jang Hyuk was a lawyer for a rich family there too.

Is this also your 1st time watching Midas & MF? You'll find JH acting in Midas & JH acting in MF so different. I find Kim Do Hyun totally has no chemistry with his girlfriend in Midas. :blink:But you'll find Pil Joo & JMR chemistry in MF sizzling hot! :P

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • partyon changed the title to [Drama 2017-2018] Money Flower 돈 꽃

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...