[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Goodbye My Princess 东宫

0ly40

1 hour ago, vintage_chutzpah said:

I'm thinking of watching this. Before I get highly invested, what kind of ending is this? Happy, Sad or Open?

So happy to hear you are considering this drama because I enjoyed it (even though it was a roller coaster and had some gaps)!! Mmm...depending on a person's interpretation, the ending could be sad or open. I think the ending fell more towards the sad/tragic category for me. However, I accepted the ending/knew long before that it wasn't going to end well. On a flip side, they did do a 3 or 4 mini short episodes that focus more on a happy ending/another (modern) life. Hope this helps you decide!!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 1 month later...

Good News! Viki has liscensed the Extended 55 Episode version! Yes, there will be subs! I hope that the original team can work on this one as well. Hopefully, they will be able to just reload the files and then make a few tweaks for the new scenes, so that it won't be like starting from scratch and won't take a lot of time to finish. I'll be ready for a rewatch!

https://www.viki.com/tv/36758c-goodbye-my-princess-directors-cut

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

So I realize everyone is over the critiquing of this drama but as I just watched it recently I am trying to get it out of my system. 

Spoiler

So overall, it bugs me that when XF was watching GJ get killed before her eyes by LCY, all she had to do to halt that was really just confess to LCY that he was actually Gu Xiaowu. Just her physically reaching out to him to shake him out of his crazy state would have probably gotten through to him. So I felt like some of that tragedy could have been easily avoided and maybe their love could have even been saved somehow. All it needed was more honest communication between each other and the fact they both were being manipulative about their feelings annoyed the hell out of me. 

I also don’t understand how XF so quickly forgave GJ at that point when she was so over it before the memory wipe and how could she forgive his slight on faking as GXW even though he was taking her away it was still a horrible move on his part. Luckily the drama kept it clean, but I could have easily imagined he would take advantage of that situation. 

So overall my being too much of a realist kills this drama for me and I can’t help but keep playing out all the scenarios to fix it. Like LCY being an expert bowsman could have easily knocked the sword out of XF’s hand before she committed suicide. The ending was too hasty for me so I wasn’t satisfied with it. 

Bleh. 

And to to add another point, for those that hated LCY, I kind of felt sympathy for him. He really just had an intense need to connect with a female in his life, since his real mother who was quite opposite of the adopted one who raised him, could have provided him a  loving and nurturing environment. But instead he was raised by a deceiver who taught him he has to grasp what he wants by devious and underhanded means. So he lacked that aspect he craved and thus became obsessed with how pure it was coming from XF who cared nothing for those kinds of tricks. 

He should have just been more open and honest with her from the beginning which was his fault, but he was always taught to keep things under wraps being raised in the scheming palace. He even said himself that he was taught to be that way from his Dad who is pretty bad himself. 

Yes his adopted mother loved him but she had a selfish pursuit and would get cold when it came down to it. She did try to kill him after all. XF is perhaps too simple minded at times which is why she failed to see that he was suffering in his own way. I thought that was a total flaw on her part because in some ways it made Sese better than her. I think you need to truly try to understand your partner if you want to say that you really love them. Not just be happy when they do certain things for you and only consider your feelings instead of asking them why they did what they did to you and try to understand their choice of action. How else can you truly know them? 

Im saying too much here. 

I found myself adoring the two leads together very much. I thought the actor who plays LCY to be very cute but too young for me to be that attracted to lol.. It’s amazing how good the female lead looks for her age to pull off looking so young so well with her cheerful charms. They both are great actors and I really enjoyed their chemistry and would love for them to do another period drama together but hopefully a happier ending. It’s like my love for the pairing of Alyssa Chia and Vincent Zhao. It’s been that long since I’ve seen a couple I just need to see more of together. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

Me encantooo este cdrama. Por lejos lo mejor que vi. Escenarios, vestuario, actores, todo. Yo le hubiera cambiado el final. Una pareja tan maravillosa merecía otro final. Se que hubieron cosas terribles entre ellos pero hay que interpretarlo en la epoca y en el contexto de las intrigas palaciegas. 

Aunque algún día quisieran hacer una remake difícilmente lograrian una pareja como esta.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just finished watching this series. I rarely watch Chinese drama because I often cringe with those flying scenes (martial arts scenes), this series have those scenes too but I was able to overlook it because of the story.

This drama is one of the best I have ever seen!!! Although it also has lots of flaws but still I love it.
The first 12 episodes was so intense. I got bored around episode 40 because I felt that not much is happening but I already got too attached with the characters so I wanted to see how things will end for them.

I only wished that they gave more scenes for the prince and princess. The prince fell for her but didn't really showed it to her properly (even if he is doing it to protect her) still it made her sad.
Then suddenly he acted so crazy in love with her.

And another thing I was actually curious or wanted to see was, how the story would've been if the prince didn't forget.
If they didn't forget, how are they going to live?

The prince was begging her not to leave his side. Just stay with him even if she will just vent out her anger on him or take revenge on him. But he wasn't the crown prince then.
I wanted to see how is he going to take all the hatred that the princess have for him.

Pretty sure he will do everything in order to become the crown prince that will marry her. Sese wouldn't be there. He wouldn't act like he hate her just to protect her.
Just curious about that "what if".

I actually liked that the princess stayed as she is. She didn't let everything fill her with hatred and vengeance. She didn't close her heart to those people who kept everything a secret to her. It's refreshing to see a female lead who doesn't beat guys in fight or doesn't come out too strong but still strong in her own way.

• Like 5

They are never meant to be togethe, because what LCY did as GCW was very unforgivable. Although they did forget but that doesn't change the history.

They were given another chance when they both forget their past. That was a new start for them. He wasn't the crown prince and his sole purpose was to avenge his mother and his clan. With his new life, he pretended to act differently as part of his revenge and make a new start in love with another woman. But still, the heart remembers, like a magnet he was attracted to her even though he do not know why; he always felt something when he's around her.
The same goes for her, she was attracted to him. Curious about him and for whatever reasons - wanted to get close to him. And they did, she became closer to him than her supposedly fiance, and slowly, they were starting to fall for each other again.
And things happened, things that changed him and his view in life. But still he kept falling for her and her for him. Then he became the Crown Prince - he was fine marrying her, he was happy, because he's already in love with her. But she found out about what he did to his clan. She found out but she doesn't remember, so the pain and hatred wasn't as deep. And so, as time goes by, she was able to forget and forgive. They started to get closer and became friends - but his vegeance is still there - along with the plan of knowing that she could be in danger and they could use her against him.
They already fell for each other; but the guilt was still there. She loves him but couldn't really show it. He loves her but couldn't show it in order to protect her.

And when he thought that he is near in achieving his vengeance and that he can finally show his love for her without any worries; the real problem begun. The woman she loved was taken by someone else and he could lose her. What's going to happen to her when she's gone. There he realized how lonely and empty his life will be without her. He tried to fill that void using Sese but still it wasn't the same.
The problem is, she didn't think he loved her and thought that he loved Sese the whole time, she didn't really want to leave but thinking that she will just block his happiness to love, she decided to leave.
When he saw her leaving, he lost his mind. All that's on his mind was to take her back. He cannot lose her.
And that's where the new problem started. SHE REMEMBERS - and when she did, the pain and betrayal that she felt back then also returned. She wasn't able to heal them before. But he still doesn't remember.

For him, everything was fine before she was kidnapped. They were sweet, she was happy and they are in love even without saying anything. So what happened while she was away? Suddenly, she hates him and doesn't even want to look at him and saying she loved someone else. That's why he kept asking, why does she hate him? If it's about Danchi she already found out about it before they got married but still everything went fine. So why?
But she couldn't tell him anything. Why? Because she knew, he doesn't remember. Even if she tells him, what would change? This problem was already dealt with before. And she knew how it feels to know something that you don't really remember - the feeling and it's effect is not as strong.

Now this is where the prince made a mistake. He completely lost his mind and his calm. He let his jealous and pain get the best of him. He couldn't understand why she hates him. All he knew was that she has changed after being kidnapped. But instead of being calm about it, instead of being kind and understanding about it - he choose to do what he believe will work - using force and his power in order to make sure she will stay. But that just made her realized how scary he truly is. Killing GJ and then eventually throwing Sese in the worst way possible made her realize how hopeless it is for him.
That the old him is gone. The man she loved is gone.

Only after his memory came back, did he realized everything. But it is way too late.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up rewatching some of my fav scenes but then ended up rewatching some of the terribly sad scenes too and now I’m crying all over again :bawling: My goodness, this drama really took me on a crazy roller coaster of emotions and watching again just brought back all of that! It’s really not very often that a drama just makes me sooo addicted and leaves me analysing basically every part.

Watching the ending and I still think they should have kept the mixed background music with the tribal song, it just brought the emotions out more. The last scene of XF and LCY was just devastating wasn’t it. So much pain and longing and just still that glimmer of hope that everything will be ok and they will still miraculously get their happily ever after. Rewatching the last scene also made me realise that the ‘fox’ in the song could refer to either XF or LCY. Neither of them could wait for the other given everything that had happened.

I think I have also finally accepted that perhaps this really was the right ending given everything XF had endured. But then I still can’t help but think how things would have been had they just communicated with one another from the start or if AD or PZ just told LCY and XF the truth earlier on.. or even if they told LCY the truth once XF got her memories back. I actually don’t know if LCY would have believed anyone if they had told him that he was really GXW during the GJ arrow shooting scene, I think he really was so consumed with jealousy and anger at that point that it might not have made a difference until he had calmed down, but perhaps if someone just told him the truth beforehand? Anyways I won’t dwell too much or I’ll be here all night ranting lol

I still can’t believe they released the directors cut which had additional scenes, yet we still didn’t get the full kiss or the sweet scenes we had seen in previews. I think we deserved more sweet scenes given the crazy emotions they put us through  :bawling:

Watching again just made me realise all over again how great CXX and PXR were. Literally their first lead parts in a drama and they absolutely nailed it. Particularly CXX, it’s pretty rare for a newcomer to do what he did. He portrayed LCY so darn well and I felt every single emotion. LCY is a pretty complex character but CXX really done a superb job at bringing him to life and making the majority of us feel for him and side with him. The anger and then anger mixed with slight guilt in his eyes during the GJ arrow scene was just epic. 

Such a great drama. Part two please with them reborn maybe? Too much to ask for? :D

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...

I still listen to the song every now and then-----Love Catastrophe. The song has great meaning to XF and LCY's fate. It's sad listening to it, you can imagined all their sadness, heartache, sorrow, and betrayal all in one song.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 3/22/2019 at 10:07 AM, visiopeia said:

I totally agree with you @qqbr21 .. LCY never says he loves XF... 

i have watch ep 45 - 48 .. i cried so much in the office, thank god my boss is in the meeting room or else he will shock to see his executive with red eyes... hahahhahahahaha

After reading all comments from the past post, i agree with most of you. The ending should follow exactly like the novels. Makes LCY alone, and hurt for the rest of his life .. he deserve it!  i still ship LCY and XF even though i hate him... gosh! what has he turn me to? 

I cried so much for days till I basically threw up from too much tears, I don't know how I survived this show in one piece. Like you, I also cried at work. The last time I cried was maybe 15-16 years ago when I saw a K-drama I'm sorry I love you. And because of that I swore not to watch another sad drama. But here I am, I just never learn my lesson.

I jumped onto the band wagon a bit late. Nonetheless I loved it and are in awe of the great acting, beautiful tribal costumes and scenery. Deep down I wished they were able to meet as normal commoners, and not as pawns of political strife and intrigue. Could never blame GJ and LCY for what they did, because they had a duty to fulfill, an obligation they could not run away from. 

On 4/7/2019 at 2:23 PM, ElleSor said:

I know right? I love that he's still not actually a very good tea merchant...they are using their tea that didn't sell. LOL!

It's now her turn to give him a belt... in the past he gave her the belt.

And the cctv!!! Hahaha...still in the tree!

I wonder who's watching them!!

Actually XF did give GXW her wedding belt right before he went off to "war". Totally agree, I like how the writers/producers added in these little details from the drama into the additional episodes as fan service.

On 9/18/2019 at 4:03 AM, Table122000 said:

Good News! Viki has liscensed the Extended 55 Episode version! Yes, there will be subs! I hope that the original team can work on this one as well. Hopefully, they will be able to just reload the files and then make a few tweaks for the new scenes, so that it won't be like starting from scratch and won't take a lot of time to finish. I'll be ready for a rewatch!

https://www.viki.com/tv/36758c-goodbye-my-princess-directors-cut

Too bad it's restricted in my region. I badly want to see the uncut version. :sad1:

I patiently read the whole thread from the 1st page up to this one and reading all your comments made me understand a few things. Thank you everyone for the valuable insight. This is why I like coming to soompi forums, there's always something you learn from other viewer's observation. I also becamw a new fan of PXR and CXX. Sadly I read that PXR did not film anything for 2 years after GBMP and even thought of quitting as an actress and go back to hosting. Why is this happening to her? She has a new modern drama coming up but generally I only watch costume/period dramas so me watching it is a 50/50. Sorry PXR. :tears:

On 3/29/2020 at 4:07 PM, Fubblez said:

anyone has the ebook novel of this drama? in english?

You can try checking this link http://fantasybooksforever.blogspot.com/2016/02/translations.html?m=1

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, chsaf said:

Too bad it's restricted in my region. I badly want to see the uncut version. 

You can use vpn dear..install it, and change your country.. usually choosing US work for most of the drama on Viki. Hope this helps..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lynne22 said:

You can use vpn dear..install it, and change your country.. usually choosing US work for most of the drama on Viki. Hope this helps..

Thanks. I'll try it :wub:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

54 minutes ago, Lynne said:

@chsaf you're welcome! I did a re-watch on the last 3 episodes last week..and I cried for their tragedy.. :bawling:

I totally understand you. :tears:

I keep rewatching certain scenes till the last and then cry uncontrollably for the gazillionth time. Stop me please! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1