[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Goodbye My Princess 东宫

0ly40

@Le_Amarant, thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights! I definitely think your argument/perspective makes sense! GJ being killed, although was wrong for me, I didn’t feel too bad for him because he was asking for it/knew that his actions would eventually make LCY kill him. LCY even forewarned him. Hahaha and I didn’t really like GJ’s character since I was so invested in our leads. I know GJ wanted the best for XF, but I couldn’t come to truly like him due to some of his actions in the drama (if anything, the person who I truly felt bad for was XF because she was the victim throughout the whole story). I agree with the point that LCY had to do what he had to do with GJ due to political factors. I have some buy-in; however, I’m not completely sold.

I’m going to start by first defining what I mean by “monster.” In this case, I see the monster as a greater being who has the power to control human beings, and this greater being is jealousy, revenge, and selfishness. It’s the so called “bad/evil” part of humans. When jealousy, revenge, and selfishness devours a person, that person will ultimately turn into “that monster”. I actually think all humans are capable of becoming a monster because it lives within us. We have flaws. The important part is whether we let that caged monster out of us or not.

Just out of curiosity, how do you all define what it means to be a monster and or what does it take to be a monster?

With all that said, when LCY decided to kill GJ, that “good” human part of him was devoured. The moment LCY decided to kill GJ, he opened the cage for this monster to come out, and in place came the “evil/bad” part of being a human.  If there were more evidence shown in the drama that LCY was concerned about his status/kingdom/empire during this particular plot of the story (GJ’s death), then I would have been more convinced. Again, I’m not saying that I don’t agree; I just wasn’t completely sold. In my perspective, the political side that drove LCY’s actions were lacking. Most of the scenes dedicated to show LCY’s order to kill GJ were more so due to being jealous of “GXW” since GXW had the luxury of being loved by XF when LCY didn’t. For example, even at the last breaths of GJ when XF put his hairpin on her head, LCY’s face was filled with jealousy and hate. He wasn’t concerned about his political status. He was concerned about not having XF’s heart. He believed that XF didn’t love him anymore/never loved him. Because of that belief, he slowly let the caged monster within him out, all of which eventually overtook him and led to GJ’s death.

A part of me thinks that some of us are unable to label LCY as a monster because we are too attached to his character; we want to like him and can’t bear to hate him because as the viewers, we have seen the whole story from a third person perspective. We empathize and feel bad for LCY. Although XF didn’t see the whole story from a third person view, at the end of the story, she too was someone who couldn’t hate him although he has done a lot of horrible things. Why? Because a part of her may have also felt guilty for the baggage he had to carry as someone who wanted to be the crown prince/get his revenge. Just because LCY’s actions may have been “justifiable due to political reasons,” that doesn’t mean that killing GJ was “right.”

Therefore, I think it’s understandable that LCY was jealous, but he was a little too extreme for me to the point that he was obsessed; there could’ve been other ways to punish GJ. LCY killing GJ on one end was to prevent the political side from becoming unbalanced, but on the other end, I truly think it was more due to making sure that XF would be tied to him completely. Plus, if you really love someone, wouldn’t you let them go if that’ll make them happier despite the fact that you will be unhappy? A huge part of love for me means sacrifice; you sacrifice a part of yourself (happiness) so that your loved one will be happy. I am not confident to say that LCY let XF go;he's always wanted her for himself. LCY’s is a genius/that’s a characteristic of his character; he was able to get his “third wife” out of the palace, and so I think if he really was willing to make a sacrifice and let XF go (even though she's the crown princess/9th princess), he could’ve made arrangements.

• Love 1

I've been camping at CXX's thread after GMP ended, but so good to see all this POVs on the characters. 

My take was LCY did whatever he thought was necessary to keep his throne and his woman. We had the privilege of seeing things at all sides and could empathize with him but XF only saw his cruel, cunning and heartless side. To XF, he is a monster that she cannot comprehend and cannot love. So their love was really not meant to be. And to those who mentioned LCY forcing himself on XF as being monstrous/evil, I think we need to take things in the olden day context where women were always second to men. They are both married, for years too, and it is already amazing that LCY basically just celibate himself (on XF) all this while, while being in love with XF. He completely lost it when XF said she hates him after coming back from being kidnapped and wanted to make sure that she knows her position. I don't think its fair to her, but women at that time (some even now) will not be able to say no to sex if the husband wants it. If we are going to impose modern values on a historical drama, then we need to start critiquing why LCY had 2 other wives etc etc. 

I did not like GJ at all from the start because he just felt like a really lame guy who couldn't decide whether he wants love or revenge. He flip flops his decision and then gets angry at LCY/GXW for something he also had a hand in doing, which is just bizarre to me. I just find his character really annoying especially when he acted like it was his duty/right to "rescue" XF from LCY after all that he has done to her? It's just seriously WTF for me... 

I also understood why LCY wanted and had to kill GJ. To the palace, GJ was the kidnapper of the crown princess and also the assassin who attacked the emperor. I think LCY already gave him an option when he warned Chai Mu to ask GJ not to stir up more trouble and just return XF. However, GJ went ahead to pretend to be GXW and kinda manipulated XF into regaining her memories and then coaxing her to leave the palace even after knowing how much LCY and XF love each other. To me that was the most cruel thing to do, because  I have no idea what he wants to achieve by invoking those really bad memories in XF unless he just wants her to suffer. 

My favourite side characters are Ah Du and Mi Luo. Ah Du took in all the pain and had to pretend to be mute so that XF can live a carefree life in the palace while Mi Luo never judges and just provide good help and advise. 

I miss all these characters already, except GJ of course. Hoping for a new unedited version of GMP to be out so that I can start binge watching again! 

• Like 2
  • Love 3

This is my opinion abt LCY (but you all know I always be his side:lol:)

For me he's pitiful character,always alone(unlike XF,she have AD,GJ, YN even PZ sometimes) like queen dowager said he always keep everything by himself,I think the one he close the most is his first brother,and as he know DC kill him (this first reason why he hate DC)

This second reason,both DC and Central plains hate each other, as royal prince,that's his duty to free his people from DC (we know how cruel DC to his people) and this is the only way to get him CP position,for revenge,for me not bcos greedy with power,if king the one greedy with power,he won't be a good emperor(but we all know in the end he devoted all his life to his country)

it's normal that they try find a way to take down their enemy (just this is his first guilty he use XF and his big mistake is he's falling love with her).

When he killed king of DC (king of DC sacrifice to save his people) that's why even he's forget after jump from the river,he still make funeral for XF grandfather,bcos all he knows DC king is a hero for his people)

Did he feel guilty with XF? of course he did,he almost kill himself twice (with sword before mr chai prevent it,he said he dunno how to face her anymore,and than he jump together with her)

and dun blame him abt XF parents,we all know the one destroy them is General Gao,not LCY.

Abt GJ death,I think I have the same opinion with @Le_Amarant , remember GJ the one provoke him,will take her from him,and he can't remember (all he know XF hate him bcos he's the one destroy DC but bcos of war,not bcos he betray her) and XF is not just woman,she's his wife,crown princess too,and both keep provoking him like nothing. man have some pride,especially he's a crown prince,and at least a wife must have honor too,especially she's a princess(sorry I really dun like XF when she decide go with GJ bcos she thinks he's GXW,and than it worst bcos her crying and hairpin:sweatingbullets: hairpin means your true love and she's wear it in front of many people:sweatingbullets: I still keep skip this scene :lol: )

@ayang23 about sacrifice to the one you love,their relationship is alliance marriage,it's not about themself,about 2 country,and finally XF see it,she's comeback and there's a war.

and finally she understands her duty as 9th princess. but I believe if LCY the one remember first,he'll find a way to let her go back to her country,but not with other man:sweatingbullets:

And as LCY said that he can't face her anymore bcos his guilt,we can see after he remember everything,he really feel guilty and take everything she said to him,and everything is too late for them,they have a greatest love but they can't be together (bcos I believe if XF still alive,she won't forgive him and LCY will let her go) they just can't be together in this life.

I rant a lots:lol: sorry it will be my last rant,I'll just post pics after this, @J13 I still have many pics:lol:

thank you everyone in this forum,no matter we've different perspective and argument but it shows how much we love this drama.

bb52cdf7ly1g236rd9i2qj20dw0dwgng

Spoiler

bb52cdf7ly1g236rcbb0bj20zk0zkaes

6d0338b1gy1g23i5s2rwlj20qo14y0zv

6d0338b1gy1g23i5lggn1j20qo1620yz

bc19a52dgy1g238li1vaoj20zs1ra7ez

Sr.weibo 

• Love 4

I feel the plot is quite justified as I'm a big fan of tragedy :P.

I enjoyed the drama a lot, but I like they rush everything up in the last ep. They spent lots of eps on Danchi and so many stuff... If they slowly deliver the last part, I think it's going to be a lot more tragic.

I like the knot about Gu Jian but in the drama the story doesn't revolve around him that much, especially after he was revived. Really impressed by how Ah Du pren

tened to be mute just to conceal the truth. She's so loyal and lovely.

To me Zhao liangdi character doesn't quite make sense in some ways...

Does anyone agree this is quite similar to the Kings women?

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

no, I do not find this similar at all to the king's woman.  Li'er in TKW was a masochist - she never forgot memories yet she still ran back to the king, despite his cruel treatment of her. 

Li Chengyin is nothing like the Emperor in TKW and Xiaofeng is nothing like Li'er.

I must be the only one who loathed A'du for being a hypocritical sanctimonious character, who left Xiaofeng in the lurch at the end when she went off on her own revenge tangent.  If A'du hadn't of went on a suicide mission, Xiaofeng might not have killed herself - but she did and XF was all alone.   

There was a scene where XF was doubting her actions on leaving LCY.  I wish she had continued to doubt it

• Like 3

The character of Li Chengyin is intriguing because he is unconventional and defies expectations of a classic male protagonist who is heroic, just/do no wrong, and self sacrificing.  Many questionable characters who steer off into the deep end are almost always convinced they're doing the right thing even if they're carrying about it in the wrong way, but not Li Chengyin.  He is fully self aware, of his actions and impact but embraces it all.  Embracing in the sense he doesn't personalize any of it, and sees himself a product of the times/environment he's in rather than a victim or who he is.  While It's hell for LCY to see what he puts XF through, he is neither apologetic nor regrets what he's done. Contrast that to Gu Jian, burdened with guilt/shame and living out rest of those days divided between regret, compensating and love for XF.  It's interesting people grow to love LCY, but very indifferent towards GJ despite his best efforts. 

LCY is definitely one of those characters you either love to hate, or hate to love.  

• Like 5

I think there are some small similarities between GMP and TKW but mostly because of the time in which they were set and that both male leads could generally be seen as not your typical male lead. The storylines were different though and I much rather prefer LCY's complex character and XF's character as a female lead. Both were gorgeous dramas though (with handsome male leads :wub:) and I'm a big fan of ZBB and now CXX too of course!

I love discussing the character of LCY, he is such a complex character and unlike any males leads I've encountered before. I agree that he accepts the predicament he is in and embraces it but in my opinion, he certainly feels apologetic and regretful to XF. He doesn't entirely defend himself though because he knows it's common practice for these types of incidents to occur e.g. killing her grandpa to avenge his brother and earn military merits but he certainly regretted it hence why he jumped in the river of forgetfullness with her. When he acts indifferent to XF after forgetting his memories, he does little things to make up for his actions because he feels apologetic to her and because he truly cares about her.

I think the situation with people defending LCY and not GJ is because frankly GJ made a big mistake in pretending to be GXW in the end, manipulated and took advantage of XF and then encouraged LCY's insecurities. I tried to be open minded about it and thought well, he was just trying to get XF home but it's clear that him manipulating XF in the end was for his own benefit. He obviously was aware that XF had already fallen in love with LCY again so if he really wanted to make up for the past, he would have just told her the whole truth and allowed her to make her own decisions but he was more concerned that she would hate him again for lying to her too. Yeah, he felt bad but so did every other character who didn't tell XF the truth but at least they didn't try and twist the situation to their advantage and instead, just allowed things to flow naturally while doing what they could to be there for XF.

I really just wish someone could have told XF and LCY the truth early on.. still makes me so sad at what could have been even though I know it would have been hard for her to forgive him again after having the exact memories ingrained in her mind but maybe she wouldn't have died :bawling:

Anyways off topic but have you guys seen the gorgeous photos of PXR in a recent photoshoot I think for a magazine? I don't know how to post instagram pics (I know, I'm hopeless haha) but my gawd.. she looks STUNNING! 

Anyways sorry for yet another long post from me! :D:sweatingbullets:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2

13 minutes ago, J13 said:

I think the situation with people defending LCY and not GJ is because frankly GJ made a big mistake in pretending to be GXW in the end, manipulated and took advantage of XF and then encouraged LCY's insecurities.

Sorry to cut your post.  I want to add one more point.  He purposefully sent her to LCY knowing the consequences in spite of his love towards her.  That to me is a big NO NO.  How can you push somebody you love as a sacrifice for their family revenge?  It's a big atrocity and that's why I did not feel sorry for GJ at all.  But LCY was so straight forward in what he was doing in spite of him hurting our XF.  From XF POV, she lost her prowess to live after she regained her memories.  But I liked how she made him regret his actions by making him live after her death.  That to me was her win on him even though it was a cowardly act of suicide.

I like how you have penned your words on LCY and these are the same I have in my mind but I am not coherent while writing.  So thanks to ur post and I love each and every word in it.:kiss_wink:

• Like 3

@pad-hari yep that was a big no no for me too! I was mainly referencing when majority of fans started being upset with Gu Jian, it seemed to occur after he pretended to be GXW. I think his first action in pushing XF to LCY at the start was ridiculous too. It was quiet sad that he tried to hide his part in it while allowing LCY to suffer more because LCY was the one who had to do the dirty work when he and XF had already fallen in love. I think I could have put this aside though if GJ had repented by just being a loyal friend and confidant to XF once she lost her memories or by telling her the truth if he really couldn't bear the guilt but he used it to his advantage instead.. I get he didn't have much time left to live but maybe start by being truthful first.. anyways I completely agree with you, he definitely had a hand to play in all of this to start with! 

@Erafera1 yes those ones!! My goodness, she is just stunning! I hope we get to see more photoshoots of her, major girl crush haha and thanks for the tip, I think I can't locate the link because I used the Instagram app? I forgot my password so I don't logon to the actual website and am too lazy to reset it (yes I really am hopeless haha)!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

After looking at those videos of them feeding each other, looking at their chemistry, how they joke around, how they enjoy each other's company (basically how they interact with each other on screen and off screen, really) it would be unfortunate if they dont go out for real.

They clicked!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, marinated_lemon said:

After looking at those videos of them feeding each other, looking at their chemistry, how they joke around, how they enjoy each other's company (basically how they interact with each other on screen and off screen, really) it would be unfortunate if they dont go out for real.

They clicked!

I rarely ship actors together but these two I just do!!  However, I think she has a boyfriend - I thought I heard CXX state her BF was in the audience in one of those clips over the last few pages. 

• LOL 4

Yes just date already please! :joy:

They are so comfortable around eachother and the way they glance at eachother.. just dateeeeeee!! 

Hopefully it was just him joking and referencing the male fans as her 'boyfriend' haha otherwise, who is this man!? :tears:

• LOL 4

I saw the way those 2 acted toward each other is hard for me to not ship them. They look so happy together. CXX said something about PXR's boyfriend? I think is just a joke. No one would mention it on the TV if she has it for real. I hope for modern drama for both of them to work together. Romantic Comedy would be great!!!

• Like 4