[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Goodbye My Princess 东宫

0ly40

4 hours ago, gladiolii said:

This is my first post after lurking for a long time in this thread. I finally decided to delurk to share a bit of the cultural perspective of what the whole "three lives" statement to clear up any lingering confusion. Usually the saying "three lives" is about reincarnation, so it's not literally talking about their amnesia or their second meeting and marriage, at least not directly. The phrase is used to talk about two souls who have such a strong destiny together (whether good or bad) that they can't help changing the course of each other's lives, even past the point of death (aka multiple lifetimes). The number 3 just so happens to be a very significant number in Han Buddhism re: reincarnation, and since it also rhymes with "life," that's why it is often used as a flowery way to talk about reincarnation and destiny. Essentially, to the Chinese audience, the monk in the scene isn't telling them that they will get three chances in THIS lifetime together. Instead, consider it more of a bad omen or the foreshadowing of tragedy in their lives if they were to continue on their predestined paths. When the master (a senior monk) singles them out especially to tell them not to "force" what is not meant to be, and especially makes sure to repeat this warning to LCY not once but multiple times, that's a bold letter warning to him to be careful, or there will be tragedy. To the Chinese audience, this is another way to soften LCY's actions, by also turning him into a victim of a force that he had no control over. If it helps at all, this also implies that since LCY and XF are inexplicably bound together through multiple lifetimes--even if LCY doesn't find her or have a HE with her in this lifetime, he will repay the debt he owes her in a future lifetime somehow. This is his karmic debt to her and imo the way they end the series seems to have this intent as well. Hope that helps!

Ahhh yes, that makes a lot of sense! There have been a few Chinese dramas with the 'three' in their title like Three lives, Three worlds, Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms (which is one of my top 3 fav Chinese dramas btw) so that explains a lot. Thanks for clarifying! I did initially think it meant another life for them but then my mind went a-wall overthinking everything hahaha probably because I didn't see them reunite in a new life in the end but maybe that's why she was seen 'waiting' at the end. I always thought she was waiting in the afterlife for him so maybe she was waiting so they could move into the next life together. Ok I'm overthinking again haha this drama will be the death of me!

And welcome! This drama also brought me out of lurker mode :D

• Like 5
  • Love 1

@J13

A fellow 3310 fan! I see you have great taste haha. Thanks for the warm welcome! :) I actually wanted to mention 3310 in the previous clarification, but thought it might seem strange since these fictional immortals treat reincarnation so casually (it's like going to a spa retreat for them lmao), whereas our very mortal characters here only had this one chance to get it right.

I like that the writers/director for GMP left the ending open to interpretation in this way tbh. I personally thought the scenes of her sitting on the sand to be a figment of his imagination, that he was always seeing her just at the edge of the horizon and so he will roam the desert forever looking for her. That scene of him deluding himself into thinking that she's still alive in his convo with Pei Zhao resonated so strongly with me that I chose to interpret it this way, as his desperation and longing to see her. But if we go with your interpretation, it would tie in really well with the "xiao hu li" song with their roles being reciprocal now. There is beauty in the idea of the shepherd girl sitting on the sand dunes, biding her time now that death has released her from their transgressions. Her last lines quoting the song could also be interpreted as a sign of true forgiveness as she acknowledged that she understood him in her own way. Either way, I thought that the juxtaposition was beautifully shot and certainly showed a sense of longing across a great distance/divide.

Who's overthinking now? :D It's fascinating to me that your and my interpretations are like two sides of the same coin, with respect to who these characters were. They were that real. It's masterfully done on the writers' part, and the director did an amazing job bringing all of it to life. I will be paying a lot of attention to this director's work in the future for sure. But, for my own personal closure to this drama, I would like to think that since he spends the remainder of this lifetime looking for her, his soul will go on seeking her even after his body stops. This way, I can imagine that his soul will still remember this sense of longing at their next meeting, even if hers would not. The second he sees her, he would know. For me, that would be a true and final redemption, to release him from the weight of all his previous mistakes. Edit: Then again, at this point it would be pretty strange for a drama so grounded in reality to break that atmosphere entirely, so I'm satisfied with the way things ended. Sorry for the essay! :sweatingbullets:

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1

@gladiolii haha so true about how the immortals treat reincarnation like a spa retreat :lol: if only it were that easy for us mere mortals haha

Oh gosh your interpretation just kills my heart even more.. that never even crossed my mind but I can really picture him just imagining her looking out at him like the first time they met because that it is the exact same scene from episode 1. For him to long for her so much that he searches the desert hoping to get closer to his imagination of her. Wow just heartbreaking :bawling: 

I wrote on one of my previous posts that my ideal ending would be that they would cross eachothers paths in their next life and smile shyly at eachother because even though they might not recall their previous lives, they would still feel attraction and a connection to eachother. This aligns closely to your thoughts on his soul still remembering that longing for her so he would feel that longing in the next life, even if he didn't have the outright memories. Hopefully they just make a season 2 and give us something similar haha

I love this forum and how everyone has come together to share their thoughts and opinions. It's really intriguing reading everyones different interpretations and makes the excitement of this drama continue. Really goes to show just how much thought was given to all aspects of the show that we are able to sit and ponder about everything. Throw in some insanely good leads who went above and beyond to bring their characters to life and you have the perfect recipe for an addictive drama lol 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, pad-hari said:

Omg!!! He is so handsome and who are all the followers of his beautiful hand, it's in close-up,  calling @nuttyz, coz I only remember her:tounge_wink:

:kiss_wink::wub:

Cr: as tagged

@pad-hari I'm so obsessed with him that I have been stalking on weibo refreshing for new updates. Such a cutie! :wub:

Worse I'm a married ahjumma in her 30s, this just feels so wrong crushing on such a young boy.... My hubby calls me mad hahaha.. I just hope this phase tide over soon.. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, nuttyz said:

@pad-hari I'm so obsessed with him that I have been stalking on weibo refreshing for new updates. Such a cutie! :wub:

Worse I'm a married ahjumma in her 30s, this just feels so wrong crushing on such a young boy.... My hubby calls me mad hahaha.. I just hope this phase tide over soon.. 

You're not alone. I think CXX has gained a legion of loyal fans through Goodbye my princess. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Lindadrama said:

So sad .... was hoping they jump into the river together again n start all over lol 

anyway about the ending , 

so they combined the original ending from the novel as well as the alternate ending to make a third ending? I watched the drama and she died differently. She did cut her throat but it was not right after she jumped off the gate wall. 

Also can someone explain  why in the end it show that after he gave the throne to his brother’s son, he was walking to to the dessert? It also show the beautiful young XF sitting and looking out, could it be either it’s saying they meet in the after life or it could be that girl is their biological daughter ? ( wishful thinking ) but they did slept together once , and maybe she didn’t died after the she cut her throat since her brother took her body away from him. 

The novel ending: XF fell off the gate and was protected by AD, who died. She then killed herself immediately with AhDu's sword. There was no exchange between XF and LCY between her fall and her killing herself while LCY regained his memories. My personal opinion is that this is an even more painful ending for LCY because there was no closure for LCY at all. 

Drama ending: XF escaped unharmed, went back to XiZhou then killed herself when both countries are at war. She said before she killed herself that whichever side she picked would have felt wrong. At least there was some exchange between her and LCY and her death had a greater purpose served. 

He passed on his throne to his nephew because he wanted a first peaceful succession without the plotting and killings that he went through. As to the jump into the river of oblivion, i think it was implied that he had looked for it but never found it. My interpretation of the final scene was that after LCY was done with serving his life to the Li kingdom with a successful handover, he just went back to the desert and killed himself to be finally reunited with XF. 

As to other comments in this forum regarding why Pei Zhao doesn't just tell off LCY. I think we really need to understand the ancient chinese concept of king and servant (君臣). Its a very delicate situation to just tell your king off without having sufficient facts, especially considering LCY had no recollectionbof his memories. If Pei Zhao had said that, it is very hard to predict if LCY may interpret it as Pei Zhao taking sides with Gu Jian. Hence the best servant is just to obey the masters order. 

I agree that LCY is being very cruel to force XF watch Gu Jian being killed to death. But he was born in a palace with a golden spoon, he has always had things his way while navigating through palace life amidst all this political tension behind the scene. His background made him a character who feels very entitled, calculative and my way or the high way kind of personality. When he poured out his heart to XF (all the hidden protection) and does not see her reciprocating, it just made him crazy. Like how CXX put it, what he does is logical for his character, but it just made it glaringly obvious how he is not suitable for XF who is a lot more gentle and straightforward in nature. 

Anyways, loved this drama for the realistic portrayal of love, where it does not necessarily conquer all and compatibility and responsibility matters over fluffy love that can overcome all problems. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, nuttyz said:

Haha don't even worry! I'm also an ahjumma, 30 this year with two small children and every night when the kids are asleep, I obsess over this drama and Chen Xing Xu all over again :joy: then I rant on about the drama to my partner all weekend and he just pretends to listen :joy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

3 minutes ago, J13 said:

Haha don't even worry! I'm also an ahjumma, 30 this year with two small children and every night when the kids are asleep, I obsess over this drama and Chen Xing Xu all over again :joy: then I rant on about the drama to my partner all weekend and he just pretends to listen :joy:

Omg, high 5 fellow ahjumma!! :glasses:

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, nuttyz said:

The novel ending: XF fell off the gate and was protected by AD, who died. She then killed herself immediately with AhDu's sword. There was no exchange between XF and LCY between her fall and her killing herself while LCY regained his memories. My personal opinion is that this is an even more painful ending for LCY because there was no closure for LCY at all. 

Drama ending: XF escaped unharmed, went back to XiZhou then killed herself when both countries are at war. She said before she killed herself that whichever side she picked would have felt wrong. At least there was some exchange between her and LCY and her death had a greater purpose served. 

He passed on his throne to his nephew because he wanted a first peaceful succession without the plotting and killings that he went through. As to the jump into the river of oblivion, i think it was implied that he had looked for it but never found it. My interpretation of the final scene was that after LCY was done with serving his life to the Li kingdom with a successful handover, he just went back to the desert and killed himself to be finally reunited with XF. 

As to other comments in this forum regarding why Pei Zhao doesn't just tell off LCY. I think we really need to understand the ancient chinese concept of king and servant (君臣). Its a very delicate situation to just tell your king off without having sufficient facts, especially considering LCY had no recollectionbof his memories. If Pei Zhao had said that, it is very hard to predict if LCY may interpret it as Pei Zhao taking sides with Gu Jian. Hence the best servant is just to obey the masters order. 

I agree that LCY is being very cruel to force XF watch Gu Jian being killed to death. But he was born in a palace with a golden spoon, he has always had things his way while navigating through palace life amidst all this political tension behind the scene. His background made him a character who feels very entitled, calculative and my way or the high way kind of personality. When he poured out his heart to XF (all the hidden protection) and does not see her reciprocating, it just made him crazy. Like how CXX put it, what he does is logical for his character, but it just made it glaringly obvious how he is not suitable for XF who is a lot more gentle and straightforward in nature. 

Anyways, loved this drama for the realistic portrayal of love, where it does not necessarily conquer all and compatibility and responsibility matters over fluffy love that can overcome all problems. 

Thankyou for the response. Omg the Novel ending is so sad , worst than the drama ending! The novel drama would be a real disaster for me as there is no closure at all. Drama ending is super sad already but at least she said she forgive him and implied that they meet in the afterlife . Anyway so sad and now I can’t sleep. Just wish them two together somehow. Arghhh...

• Like 3

This so cute:heart:

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4354776642331929#&video

acca74b7ly1g1irs12e73j20ku112qv8

Spoiler

acca74b7ly1g1irpyw23rj20ku112kjo

acca74b7ly1g1irokmkhzj20ku112u10

acca74b7ly1g1irq0fc8dj20ku0vgdo4

006EDmN9ly1g1iqbn4g1oj32ls4mob2b

006EDmN9ly1g1iqbon2kwj32ls4mo4qr

I like this 2 prince

acca74b7ly1g1irqbreo5j226o3a81ky

that's why I really happy when found this video

Spoiler

@nuttyz @J13 count me in:lol: usually for c-actor I only watch their project,never watch bts or their interview,but for CXX I watch most all his interviews and video:lol: btw good news

Spoiler

looks like CXX starred in remake of Chinese ghost story (he's really lucky with character )

cr.draco_ccccc

Sr.weibo

• Like 4

Wow!

I’ve seen a lot of MV but this is the best I’ve seen so far!:tears:

A summary of GBMP but with a better ending:bawling:

Thanks to the person who put the video together (that ending was so great!:tears:) and the person who subbed it! I appreciate you both so much:heart:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@yul12n2, @nuttyz, @J13 its ok, at least he's legal & not an underage boy haha

After watch Goodbye My Princess, I like Peng Xiao Ran & Chen Xing Xu acting so I tried watching their other projects. 

In the drama The Mystic Nines/Old Nine Gates, PXR had a supporting role as chieftain & there also scene where she wear kind of cultural outfit but I still think the best cultural outfit she wear is in the Goodbye My Princess.

Spoiler

Her outfit & hairstyle in The Mystic Nine make her looks more matured. 

The+Mystic+Nine+E30.mp4_snapshot_39.28_%

The+Mystic+Nine+E30.mp4_snapshot_26.56_%

8237726962585674024.jpg

1325591508-0.png

11-45-21-25-10.jpg

212918bbzemmxi4vmv4zkz.jpg

But to me she looks beautiful in both outfit of the dramas.

7feb9448b95155a1e7cb6aefccd8027d.jpg

Then I watch The Legend of The Condor Heroes 2017 for Chen Xing Xue. His character also kind of villainish there & the funny thing is his female lead there also jump of the cliff coz of circumstance of his action LOL

Credit to @Pangiaxiong 

I just hope that if he acts in a historical dramas after this, let it be a happy ending without his female lead tried to commit suicide haa:sweatingbullets:

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 1

When I rewatch ep 4,GXW last words when trap into quick sand, "XF you have to live well"

@Andzek

Spoiler

but Chinese Ghost Story he'll not end up together with LF too:lol: (bcos she's ghost and will be reincarnated)but it's movie,looks like we'll see him on screen soon,he have 2 upcoming movie.

Btw Gallen Lo(emperor char)playing Yang Kang char in The Legend Of Condor Heroes 1994,when I first time watch GMP ep 1 (2 Yang Kang bcome father and son:heart:)love their chemistry too.

• Like 3

Actually yest i just started watch condor heroes 2017 cos of cxx. Lol... I din realized that mu nianci will jump.. hahahahaha.. I havent reach the part mu nianci jump yet.. I watch till ep 13. Hahahaha.. lol... why since ten miles all gals like to jump... look like trend..

Anyway.. after watch condor heroes.. I realise the guo jing is the one who play bi yao (noble aspiration) brother.. I din realized guo jing is 199x generation..

Cxx is the youngest actor in condor heroes. I prefer him at goodbye my princess.. in goodbye my princess he look more handsome.. hahaha..

I also ahjumma with 2boys who also adore cxx after watching good bye my princess.. hahahaha :)

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1