[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Goodbye My Princess 东宫

0ly40

1 hour ago, visiopeia said:

So the drama ends .. there won't be another ending right??? B'cos i heard that they will release another version of ending.... will they???

I hope so but the recent China restrictions might prevent it. Too bad.. :-(

• Like 2

Sorry for my long post everyone, but I have just been so moved by this drama that I had to write down my thoughts and share it to you all!

I haven’t completed watching this drama yet because I’m waiting for eng subs. However, I am in tune with all of the spoilers haha! All I can say is…Wow. Despite some gaps, overall, this drama has been breathtaking. The storyline and characters are beautiful in a very ugly way that a lot of viewers are not familiar with/used to, and I think that is phenomenal. Most importantly, I honestly think this storyline and the leads are what kept pulling the viewers to continue investing their time in this drama. Because at least for me, I never really cared that much about the political parts of the story. I was solely invested in the leads and I was curious to see how the storyline would unfold regardless of knowing how tragic it was going to end. I also think this ugliness is reflective of reality; the reality of what happens in life. Humans don’t possess the ability to be flawless and life isn’t always a box that is nicely wrapped up.

On the other hand, while watching the spoilers, I was also wondered why XF decided to say what she said to LCY/XW as her last words: “In the end, the fox was unable to wait for the girl.” I have a thought about this, but I wanted to share my interpretation of the ost song “Little Fox” first. I found parts of the song with eng subs from viki’s translation in one of the drama’s teasers.

A fox sitting on top of the sand dune

Sitting on top of the sand dune, looking at the moon

But actually, it’s not watching the moon

It’s waiting for the shepherd girl to come back

The fox represents LCY/XW while the shepherd girl represents XF. I wasn’t sure if foxes attack sheep, and so I looked it up. Not too surprising, it turned out that foxes do attack sheep. The main duty of a shepherd is to protect the sheep from predators. With all of that in mind, I interpreted the sheep as XF’s clan/people/family/friends, all of which she deeply loves and wanted to protect throughout the whole story. However, LCY/XW who is the fox, ends up attacking her sheep which signifies the destruction of XF’s clan/people/family/friends, and ultimately, herself.

The lyrics also had “moon” within it, which is super interesting to me, especially when I think about LCY/XW. Similar to what  @bluesunny3 noted previously, I also see LCY/XW as one person; he has two parts within him the coexist to make who he is as a character. The moon is a part of the night time and yet sometimes show up during sunset. When it appears during the night time, I think about coldness and darkness, all of which represents LCY/XW’s revenge, obsession, and greed. On the other hand, the moon that appears during sunset represents warmth and light, which could also represent LCY/XW’s love and protection for XF. Thus I see LCY/XW as the same person who has two sides to himself…just like how the moon could coexist during the sunset and night time, living in the same sky.

Aside from moon, the song also mentions how the fox is sitting by the sand dunes and waiting for the shepherd girl. I wanted to also gain a better understanding of sand dunes, and so I looked it up: “Dunes form where the beach is wide enough to allow for the accumulation of wind-blown sand, and where prevailing onshore winds tend to blow sand inland.” I think Xiao Feng’s name means small wind and or breeze, all of which is also very symbolic to the lyrics, “A fox is sitting on top of the sand dune, sitting on top of the sand dune, looking at the moon, but actually, it’s not watching the moon, it’s waiting for the shepherd girl to come back.” LCY/XW is the fox who has done wrong to the shepherd and is now waiting for the shepherd to come back…it’s waiting by the sand dune which is created by the wind, and that wind could be seen as XF.

Lastly, I think the ost song “Little Fox” is sung in LCY/XW’s perspective. Perhaps XF’s last words for LCY/XW is from her view point in the “Little Fox” song. Her last words to LCY/XW is, “In the end, the fox was unable to wait for the girl.” To me, I think she felt like her existence wasn’t needed/isn’t worthy anymore since she, the shepherd girl, doesn’t have a reason to live anymore…no matter how much she may be intrigued by and or love the fox, her sheep has been devoured by the fox. LCY/XW killed XF’s love, hope, and happiness. Since the fox was unable to wait for the girl (the fox was sly and didn’t wait for the girl to protect her sheep), he will be punished by never being able to unite with her. He will only be able to continue waiting and hoping that he will one day reunite with her. And so… “A fox sitting on top of the sand dune. Sitting on top of the sand dune, looking at the moon. But actually, it’s not watching the moon. It’s waiting for the shepherd girl to come back.”

• Like 6
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 5

I've seen the last episode completely, I'm quite satisfied even though I'm honestly sad. A memorable moment for me in the last episode:

1. I was very satisfied when LCY realized Sese's position. I was satisfied when LCY was injured and he called XF and broke Sese's heart. But Sese isn't self-conscious and helps XF go with the thought that LCY's heart will come back to her (Oh girl from the beginning you are nothing). I'm not surprised to see Sese turning greedy, this is also because LCY is too real in showing her fake love to Sese so she is above the wind and thinks she can exceed XF position.

2. When XF kissed LCY, I began to be moved to see LCY's happiness expression. I hope XF returns to LCY, but I understand it is very unlikely because of the regrettable reality of XF that the person he loved killed his family, destroyed his country, and became greedy for the throne

3. I cried when XF said goodbye to Yongnian, she was like a mother to XF

4. Cry again during the XF scene in the fort. GPei tried to give way to XF but it was too late. Ohhh, I know your heart is lusting, maybe there is a sense of guilt for not revealing what happened to XF and LCY from the beginning and maybe also because GPei has feelings for XF more than friends. Crying when XF tried to explain what she felt to LCY but LCY did not understand it and in the end XF jumped

5. Crying again when Adu died, remembering all that Adu did with XF made Adu indirectly like XF's sister. I really understand the emptiness of XF after Adu wasn't there

6. Crying loudly in the battlefield scene, I read the translation of what XF said to LCY on several IG accounts. Just like what I thought, the reason why XF had to commit suicide and could not stay on LCY's side. My heart was cut for XF's despair and LCY's cry because he was abandoned by someone he loved. Actually I hope when XF talk with LCY there is one of the troops catching XF from behind so that she cannot commit suicide hehehe (only imagination) 

Over all I really like this drama, during the past few months Cdrama has caught my attention. First Well Intended Love, CEO Ling and Xia Lin's partner made my heart mixed and cheerful. Both Good Bye My Princess, LCY / GXW and XF make my heart happy and sad because their way of life is very extraordinary. In essence, I don't regret joining this drama, the GBMP has a neat storyline with actors and actresses who play it so well that this is a drama that I agree to to end sadly. If I may wish I wanted to have the second season of this drama with the same cast but in the modern era and Happy Ending

#note GJ has been reincarnated hehe

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, ayang23 said:

Sorry for my long post everyone, but I have just been so moved by this drama that I had to write down my thoughts and share it to you all!

I haven’t completed watching this drama yet because I’m waiting for eng subs. However, I am in tune with all of the spoilers haha! All I can say is…Wow. Despite some gaps, overall, this drama has been breathtaking. The storyline and characters are beautiful in a very ugly way that a lot of viewers are not familiar with/used to, and I think that is phenomenal. Most importantly, I honestly think this storyline and the leads are what kept pulling the viewers to continue investing their time in this drama. Because at least for me, I never really cared that much about the political parts of the story. I was solely invested in the leads and I was curious to see how the storyline would unfold regardless of knowing how tragic it was going to end. I also think this ugliness is reflective of reality; the reality of what happens in life. Humans don’t possess the ability to be flawless and life isn’t always a box that is nicely wrapped up.

On the other hand, while watching the spoilers, I was also wondered why XF decided to say what she said to LCY/XW as her last words: “In the end, the fox was unable to wait for the girl.” I have a thought about this, but I wanted to share my interpretation of the ost song “Little Fox” first. I found parts of the song with eng subs from viki’s translation in one of the drama’s teasers.

A fox sitting on top of the sand dune

Sitting on top of the sand dune, looking at the moon

But actually, it’s not watching the moon

It’s waiting for the shepherd girl to come back

The fox represents LCY/XW while the shepherd girl represents XF. I wasn’t sure if foxes attack sheep, and so I looked it up. Not too surprising, it turned out that foxes do attack sheep. The main duty of a shepherd is to protect the sheep from predators. With all of that in mind, I interpreted the sheep as XF’s clan/people/family/friends, all of which she deeply loves and wanted to protect throughout the whole story. However, LCY/XW who is the fox, ends up attacking her sheep which signifies the destruction of XF’s clan/people/family/friends, and ultimately, herself.

The lyrics also had “moon” within it, which is super interesting to me, especially when I think about LCY/XW. Similar to what  @bluesunny3 noted previously, I also see LCY/XW as one person; he has two parts within him the coexist to make who he is as a character. The moon is a part of the night time and yet sometimes show up during sunset. When it appears during the night time, I think about coldness and darkness, all of which represents LCY/XW’s revenge, obsession, and greed. On the other hand, the moon that appears during sunset represents warmth and light, which could also represent LCY/XW’s love and protection for XF. Thus I see LCY/XW as the same person who has two sides to himself…just like how the moon could coexist during the sunset and night time, living in the same sky.

Aside from moon, the song also mentions how the fox is sitting by the sand dunes and waiting for the shepherd girl. I wanted to also gain a better understanding of sand dunes, and so I looked it up: “Dunes form where the beach is wide enough to allow for the accumulation of wind-blown sand, and where prevailing onshore winds tend to blow sand inland.” I think Xiao Feng’s name means small wind and or breeze, all of which is also very symbolic to the lyrics, “A fox is sitting on top of the sand dune, sitting on top of the sand dune, looking at the moon, but actually, it’s not watching the moon, it’s waiting for the shepherd girl to come back.” LCY/XW is the fox who has done wrong to the shepherd and is now waiting for the shepherd to come back…it’s waiting by the sand dune which is created by the wind, and that wind could be seen as XF.

Lastly, I think the ost song “Little Fox” is sung in LCY/XW’s perspective. Perhaps XF’s last words for LCY/XW is from her view point in the “Little Fox” song. Her last words to LCY/XW is, “In the end, the fox was unable to wait for the girl.” To me, I think she felt like her existence wasn’t needed/isn’t worthy anymore since she, the shepherd girl, doesn’t have a reason to live anymore…no matter how much she may be intrigued by and or love the fox, her sheep has been devoured by the fox. LCY/XW killed XF’s love, hope, and happiness. Since the fox was unable to wait for the girl (the fox was sly and didn’t wait for the girl to protect her sheep), he will be punished by never being able to unite with her. He will only be able to continue waiting and hoping that he will one day reunite with her. And so… “A fox sitting on top of the sand dune. Sitting on top of the sand dune, looking at the moon. But actually, it’s not watching the moon. It’s waiting for the shepherd girl to come back.”

Wow, loved your interpretation of the song. It’s so sad in so many levels. 

Now, this drama is over so what do we watch now? Lol

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, vlvl1 said:

Wow, loved your interpretation of the song. It’s so sad in so many levels. 

Now, this drama is over so what do we watch now? Lol

Thank you!

And I know, right?! So sad that the drama has ended. I'm going to be feeling empty for the next few weeks. I heard that there has been a new restriction for Chinese costume dramas until June (no airing costume dramas until June)....so we'll see. I don't know what to watch too lol 

• Like 1

I can't wait to see the subbed episodes. It's like waiting forever. I've been like searching everywhere to see if the subs were completed but nada! I feel empty and seems I can't move on. I keep repeating the earlier episodes when XF and XW/LCY were happy together. I need another drama lol. Wish to hear more about these two.

• Like 2

I wish the director would just tell us exactly why she said her last words to him. I'm thankful for all that share their thoughts on the meaning. Just be nice to know for sure lol...almost like getting the exact feeling of what she felt for him at that moment. I hope they can ask the leads this question in an interview.

• Like 3

Still haven't seen the last few epis but my take on the fox song is different.

Allow me to explain my wishful thinking.

I always believed that despite being the wrong gender, XF felt that it was her waiting on the hill.

In the first few epis, she waited for Gu Jian on a hill but in the book,  her Shifu promised her that the best man will come to her on that hill. I guess, she's still waiting in her mind for LCY/GXW to become that man. Which is why she told him to live well. 

She's waiting for the most handsome man who suits her best on the white horse to come. 

I don't know why I feel that she's promising to wait for him, until he's done with his guilt, his repentance, his issues etc.

Oh the suffering that XF had to go through in this series. Breaks my heart so much.

Imagine to love someone whom you cannot entirely trust?

As for LCY, I guess, men in his era were possessive of the women they loved. 

Men during their time were brought up believing they were the alpha and the omega of their house. 

The worldwide revolution regarding women's worth didn't really happen until the the start of 1900's and even then, it was a rough start.

Even up to now, there are still parts of the world where women are at the mercy of their husbands or fathers. 

So, anyway, I believe that XF was telling LCY that she'll wait for him to be the best man for her. 

• Like 7

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4354455597976876

https://m.weibo.cn/detail/4354515266413052

While waiting for sub to make sure:)

I think from the scene XF dying,hold LCY face and said GXW...the end scene is LCY voice when he tell about little prince

"after everything ended,he will definitely make up to that friend,but he just doesn't know if that friend will forgive him in the end"

So I think she finally know he's the little prince and why he do that,and the song I think symbolizes of that friend forgive him(bcos she sing that song too for GJ I think as forgive him too)

please friends who understand abt this explain to us:lol: we only can guessing until the sub out,I wish Jolie vie in dramafever here:)she always have good explanation there(I love her comments abt emperor's love to LCY)

and as her third wish ask him to live well,I dun think that's a punishment but love,in flashback as GSW,he won't let her die with him in the sand and as LCY he will jump with her in the river,is like he better die first than her and he'll die together with her.

Same with her when he get stabbed she said she won't allow him die before her,and when he dying she said if you die,I'll die with you

even when she's remember and hate him,when she stab him and he ask her to kill him but can't (it's the same in ep 9 when LCY try to push sword on his chest,her expression is shock before Mr chai knock her,or is it just my imagination:D) that's why this time she make him that promise,bcos deep inside her heart there's love for him.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, pad-hari said:

Awwww, CXX is a cry baby, isn't he????:kiss_wink:. The pd is so sweet.

Their last day of filming wasn't it? Understandably an emotional day. After filming the death of XF to the last day of filming.The end seemed real then. 

• Like 1

I made the mistake of watching the last 2 episodes again so the tears are flowing all over again. I couldn't stop thinking about this drama today (when I really should have been working lol) because I keep going from convincing myself that the ending is sufficient because it was expected to feeling so sad and disappointed that we didn't actually get some type of an open ending. I think I really just can't accept the fact that Xiaofeng really died and Li Chengyin lived a long lonely life.. it's just so heartbreaking.. these two need to star together again in another drama asap as some sort of a consolation prize, one with a happy ending please drama gods!

I saw some bts clips of Chen Xing Xu acting and he really gave his all for this role. He got so into character it looks like he actually fainted from crying in the scene where Xiaofeng dies! There's also another clip where he can't stop crying (I think in the scene where she jumps into the river of forgetfulness) and the director gives him a hug then grabs Peng Xiaorans hand to also comfort him. They really do look so comfortable with eachother.

From re-watching, I noticed when Xiaofeng touches Li Chengyins face in their last scene together while he is crying his eyes out, he also smiles from her touch. It's like he can't help but smile from the touch of his beloved and it's these small moments between them that have completely had me hooked. I also quiet liked the mix of the regular OST and the more tribal like music when Xiaofeng actually died, it was a good way of highlighting that her death truly affected and devasted both sides.

Regarding the comments on people liking/disliking Gu Xiao Wu or Li Chengyin, I also have never differentiated between them. They have always been the one person to me. Of course Li Cheng Yin in his Gu Xiao Wu persona was bound to be more caring, this is because he was trying to gain Xiaofengs trust to complete his mission.  Unfortunately he ended up falling in love with the person he had to deceive which obviously was not the initial plan and you could see his pain when she realized the truth. After losing his memories, he was bound to be more harsh on her (even if it was an act) because at first he hadn't gained feelings for her and when he started to, he was already well on the path to becoming the crown prince which unfortunately isn't a crown prince from a Disney movie. If people knew he'd fallen in love with Xiaofeng they would have tried to eliminate her because they wouldn't have been able to control her, just like with his mum. I do think some of his actions to deceive others into believing he didn't love Xiaofeng were extreme but I guess he became more worried as the queen became closer to realizing he knew the truth. I do find it interesting that people have separated the two though, I think Chen Xing Xu's insanely amazing portrayal of the complexity of Li Cheng Yins character certainly added to the different dynamics. Regardless, he wanted to die with her when she first jumped into the river of forgetfulness, when she jumped from the gate (before he regained his memories) and would have killed himself had she not made him promise to live on at the end. He was also willing to give up his life to satisfy her by letting her kill him, first when she realises he decieved her in the earlier episodes and then again after he finally tells her he loves her (before he regains his memoroes). All situations were just one man with no alternate personas, hopelessly in love with one woman.

The fact that this drama also seemed more realistic to that time and age has really intrigued me. I'm used to most dramas sugar coating everything and when dramas touch more on the political side of things, they rarely invest so much time and emotion into the romance side of things too so this was really refreshing. I also saw comments in Viki saying this drama was more of a story of what greed and selfishness does to people but I disagree, it is a tragic romance set in a different time and age and the producer/director wasn't afraid to explore that.

The different interpretations of the song are lovely to read. I haven't read the lyrics but imagine there are a lot of underlying messages in each verse. It's lovely that not only was the music itself perfect for this drama, the lyrics were also quiet cryptic and very fitting. Shows that a lot of thought has gone into all aspects of this drama. The fact they rode real horses and actually filmed some scenes in beautiful outdoor settings also highlights this. It's such a relief knowing this drama and the actors are gaining the praise they deserve.

Sorry for another long post from me lol this drama is clearly messing with my head haha I think I might need to take up Chinese lessons after this so I don't have to be an anxious fan waiting for subs anymore :D

• Like 5
  • Love 4
  • Thanks 2

@J13 if CXX read your post,his face will blushing red:lol:for insanely amazing:lol:

actually his action triggered after XF get poisoned by 2nd CP and almost dead,bcos LCY defending her abt coin case.

And he more harsh when the empress even kill baby not yet born just to eliminate person he care.

engsub

cr goodbyemyprincess_cdrama

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, J13 said:

I made the mistake of watching the last 2 episodes again so the tears are flowing all over again. I couldn't stop thinking about this drama today (when I really should have been working lol) because I keep going from convincing myself that the ending is sufficient because it was expected to feeling so sad and disappointed that we didn't actually get some type of an open ending. I think I really just can't accept the fact that Xiaofeng really died and Li Chengyin lived a long lonely life.. it's just so heartbreaking.. these two need to star together again in another drama asap as some sort of a consolation prize, one with a happy ending please drama gods!

I saw some bts clips of Chen Xing Xu acting and he really gave his all for this role. He got so into character it looks like he actually fainted from crying in the scene where Xiaofeng dies! There's also another clip where he can't stop crying (I think in the scene where she jumps into the river of forgetfulness) and the director gives him a hug then grabs Peng Xiaorans hand to also comfort him. They really do look so comfortable with eachother.

From re-watching, I noticed when Xiaofeng touches Li Chengyins face in their last scene together while he is crying his eyes out, he also smiles from her touch. It's like he can't help but smile from the touch of his beloved and it's these small moments between them that have completely had me hooked. I also quiet liked the mix of the regular OST and the more tribal like music when Xiaofeng actually died, it was a good way of highlighting that her death truly affected and devasted both sides.

Regarding the comments on people liking/disliking Gu Xiao Wu or Li Chengyin, I also have never differentiated between them. They have always been the one person to me. Of course Li Cheng Yin in his Gu Xiao Wu persona was bound to be more caring, this is because he was trying to gain Xiaofengs trust to complete his mission.  Unfortunately he ended up falling in love with the person he had to deceive which obviously was not the initial plan and you could see his pain when she realized the truth. After losing his memories, he was bound to be more harsh on her (even if it was an act) because at first he hadn't gained feelings for her and when he started to, he was already well on the path to becoming the crown prince which unfortunately isn't a crown prince from a Disney movie. If people knew he'd fallen in love with Xiaofeng they would have tried to eliminate her because they wouldn't have been able to control her, just like with his mum. I do think some of his actions to deceive others into believing he didn't love Xiaofeng were extreme but I guess he became more worried as the queen became closer to realizing he knew the truth. I do find it interesting that people have separated the two though, I think Chen Xing Xu's insanely amazing portrayal of the complexity of Li Cheng Yins character certainly added to the different dynamics. Regardless, he wanted to die with her when she first jumped into the river of forgetfulness, when she jumped from the gate (before he regained his memories) and would have killed himself had she not made him promise to live on at the end. He was also willing to give up his life to satisfy her by letting her kill him, first when she realises he decieved her in the earlier episodes and then again after he finally tells her he loves her (before he regains his memoroes). All situations were just one man with no alternate personas, hopelessly in love with one woman.

The fact that this drama also seemed more realistic to that time and age has really intrigued me. I'm used to most dramas sugar coating everything and when dramas touch more on the political side of things, they rarely invest so much time and emotion into the romance side of things too so this was really refreshing. I also saw comments in Viki saying this drama was more of a story of what greed and selfishness does to people but I disagree, it is a tragic romance set in a different time and age and the producer/director wasn't afraid to explore that.

The different interpretations of the song are lovely to read. I haven't read the lyrics but imagine there are a lot of underlying messages in each verse. It's lovely that not only was the music itself perfect for this drama, the lyrics were also quiet cryptic and very fitting. Shows that a lot of thought has gone into all aspects of this drama. The fact they rode real horses and actually filmed some scenes in beautiful outdoor settings also highlights this. It's such a relief knowing this drama and the actors are gaining the praise they deserve.

Sorry for another long post from me lol this drama is clearly messing with my head haha I think I might need to take up Chinese lessons after this so I don't have to be an anxious fan waiting for subs anymore :D

Exactly!! I thought the same of him. His actions said a lot of how much he love her. Always willing to die with her. So I thought it was unfair when she assumed he wouldn't die with her during the part she drug him with the kiss...if only he had regain his memory sooner:(

• Like 3
  • Sad 2