[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Goodbye My Princess 东宫

0ly40

Hi, all. This is my first comment in this thread. Last night after I finished watching ep. 52, I kept repeating the scenes where LCY regained his memory & when XF killed herself. I did that for about an hour until it was almost 3 o’clock in the morning. I couldn’t accept the fact that it ended that way. So I made my own ending wishing that somehow XF survived, lived somewhere outhere & then after a long journey, they finally reunited & lived together happily despites of everything that has happened. At least they deserved that. That way, I could go through last night & slept well. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jayyepeee said:

@pad-hari They call each other "teacher". She calls him 陈老师 (Chen Lao Shi/Teacher Chen). This is what you kinda call people in the industry as a sign of respect. I think he calls her "brother" as a little bit of a joke xD. Like 彭哥 (Peng Ge/Brother Peng). I saw it in one of the interviews if I am not wrong. He also sometimes call her Xiao Feng. Hehehe. 

Just 'teacher'? Yeah they are colleagues but wasn't PXR is six years older than CXX? I mean there is no difference way between addressing your colleague who is older than you and your colleagues who is younger than you like korean way? I'm curious.

And I love the way he sound when he calls her Xiao Feng in the drama & outside the drama:wub:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

After BTS is released, the dialogue "我再给你抓萤火虫 (I will go to catch fireflies for you again)" is trending no.4 on weibo. Unfortunately, they cut this expensive line. From yesterday until now the drama is still really hot heheee

74718c6dgy1g1gbv4gtydj20u01rctfa.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Ok wow.. I just watched the last 4 episodes and it's hard to gather my thoughts into words because I am feeling a whole range of different emotions right now.. for those who haven't watched yet, have a box of tissues ready!

Firstly I need to praise our two amazing leads once again. They literally blew me away right until the last moment, how can these two technically be considered rookie/newbie actors!? They were crazy good, every single emotion was portrayed perfectly. I've said it before and I'll say it again, these two have a VERY bright future ahead of them. That bts clip where she hugs him after the crying scene is so darn sweet too! Their chemistry is clearly obvious on/off screen, perhaps that will be our 'third life story', a real life romance! ;) and yes I get she's older but clearly age has shown no boundaries when it comes to their chemistry!

I have read some negative comments about the storyline in Viki but this story wasn't for the faint hearted to start with and the title being Goodbye (not hello) My Princess and the trailer were a telltale sign of that. Although the drama was bound to be tragic, it certainly didn't stop even the most hopeless romantic of drama watchers (myself included) in being drawn in and mesmerized. The music will have to go down as my favourite in a drama, how truly fitting and captivating, the songs really gave that extra touch and brought out even more emotions!

It was a bitter sweet ending, one that I expected but had hoped would be changed at the last moment. Even though it was actually an ending which could be justified, doesn't make it any easier that it actually happened. 

Although I can justify some of Li Chengyins actions, once he regained his memories, I couldn't help but think "just give her time and space!!". I really wish he could have just given her some time and space, even if it were a few years. I think if he had patiently tried to slowly earn her trust again, she would have eventually been able to slowly trust him again. Her love for him never faltered but she must have felt so trapped because he went to such extreme measures to keep her by his side, it truly must have been so draining for her. The look on Xiaofengs face when she learnt Li Chengyin had been using Sese was so sad too. It would have sunken in for her all over again just how much this man could lie and betray others because he did the same thing to her. I just think it could have all been handled better rather than one exteme to another but I guess that's dramas for ya!

The parts that truly broke my heart were when she kissed him and said "goodbye Gu Xiaowu" with tears in her eyes. He had so much hope in his eyes before he fainted too :bawling: I love that before she left, she brought him a pillow and blankets too, that really cements just how kind and thoughtful Xiaofeng is which makes all of her pain that much more heatbreaking. When Xiaofeng realised Yongniang was coming to find her to give her gold to make it easier to escape also made me cry like a baby. I love Yongniang, she was such a loyal person and really loved our Ninth Princess. Adus ending really upset me but I guess she had to go to add to Xiaofengs final decision. It was so sad that our poor Xiaofeng could only hold her and quietly cry though, it's like she had no more tears left. Xiaofengs confession and then making Li Chengyin promise her to live on at the end killed me though, it was so heartbreaking.. she loved him and could never stop :bawling:

My take on the ending would be that Xiaofeng waited for him in the afterlife. Like in the first episode when she was waiting for Gu Jian, this time she really is waiting for her one true love.

I just really wish the sweet scenes weren't cut between our leads and more sweet scenes were added to make up for all of the heartache but nonetheless, a very addictive tragically heartbreaking drama which will go down as one of my favourites. I will have to binge watch from the start now while I wait for all the episodes to be released with subs. Thank you everyone for making this drama even more enjoyable!

P.s. sorry for the long post! Didn't realise it was this long till after I submitted it :sweatingbullets:

• Like 9
  • Love 7

I love reading about every post on this heart-wrenching drama!!

The scene where he spits blood tugs at my heart soo much, that moment of his memories coming back to him, makes him recalled all the good and bad things that happened between him and XF.....so bittersweet!! I knew that Ahdu would save XF from the fall because she couldn't die at that time. Ahdu is truly our MVP in this drama, her loyalty and protection of XF are more than a guard, they are practically sisters and bff:).....Still waiting for Eng subs to be done. Will come back to post more questions, and comments :). In the meantime, the ost is sooo good!!! 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Andzek said:

Just 'teacher'? Yeah they are colleagues but wasn't PXR is six years older than CXX? I mean there is no difference way between addressing your colleague who is older than you and your colleagues who is younger than you like korean way? I'm curious.

And I love the way he sound when he calls her Xiao Feng in the drama & outside the drama:wub:

I don't think 6 years is that much older.  They aren't a generation apart, but within the same age bracket....

• Like 3

Not happy with all the unnecessary editings and scenes being cut. It was bad enough to watch the drama without the subs and waiting patiently for the subs... Is there a way to get the production to release a director's cut DVDs? 

• Like 2

I don't know what you guys think, but i like gu xiaowu more than chengyi. Eventho they are the same person, gu xiaowu was being himself around xiaofeng, and that's how they both fall in love and getting married so fast. On the other hand, chengyi loved xiaofeng too, but he wasn't being himself around her because he still had another agenda at that time, which is why it took times for them to have the kind of relationship gu xiaowu and xiaofeng had. I was hoping gu xiaowu is another person and this story end with gu xiaowu's arc not chengyi 

• Like 5

From yesterday's batch of episodes, two of the most compelling people to watch were Yong Niang and General Pei. Yong Niang's anguish when she heard XF blaming Ah Du for not telling her the truth (a few episodes ago) - for watching silently as XF fell in love with her enemy once again. YN cried because she probably knew the truth too. And at the end, YN prepared a bag of money for XF at the place she knew where XF would be. She knows and loves XF too well to ask her to stay. 

General Pei. Oh, General Pei. Loyal to a fault. The shock on his face when he realised that XF remembered her past at Yu Men Gate. He knew then that he could not and did not want to stop XF from leaving. And then during the confrontation scene between XF and LCY atop the gate - his expression was one of heartbreak and pain for the both of them. It was like watching a impending train crash he could not stop - the two of them were coming at each other from such different perspectives. His (LCY's) confusion and her desolateness and resoluteness in leaving. Ahhhhhhh. 

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, HuanHuan Dong said:

I don't know what you guys think, but i like gu xiaowu more than chengyi. Eventho they are the same person, gu xiaowu was being himself around xiaofeng, and that's how they both fall in love and getting married so fast. On the other hand, chengyi loved xiaofeng too, but he wasn't being himself around her because he still had another agenda at that time, which is why it took times for them to have the kind of relationship gu xiaowu and xiaofeng had. I was hoping gu xiaowu is another person and this story end with gu xiaowu's arc not chengyi 

There are many essays on this but the general consensus on Weibo is that GXW is hated while they like LCY more, I guess it is because GXW killed her whole clan while LCY didnt. I think LCY loved XF more than GXW and made sure to discreetly protect her from the cruelties of the Eastern Palace. Although GXW was more special to her bc he was her first love, he also had a hidden agenda and hid his identity from her, while LCY didn’t really have to, hence was more truthful on their first meeting (except the liking Sese part and hating her) imo. While both personas manipulated and betrayed her, I feel like LCY showed more guilt (regarding the coins) from the very beginning. But then at the end of the day, they’re the same person and part of who he is, and both willingly jumped after XF lol. 

• Like 6

Question: why did she spoke about the fox as her last words? What is the significance in that tied into one of their special moments? Curious why director decided on that.  Thanks in advance for any input.

Also glad they were able to exchange some love confessions before she died. I think that would make the ending sucks if they weren't able to at least speak their truths.

• Like 2

@Andzek Uh there really isn't a way to address older people/younger people in Chinese culture the way it is done in the Korean culture. At least there isn't much differentiation if you are from the same generation. I guess people generally call the people younger than them by their names (without the surname so it is more casual). I know people in China sometimes ask older people to refer to them as "小 + your surname" (Xiao/small + surname). So PXR can technically call CXX "Xiao Chen". You can also address someone that way if you are close to them no matter the age. But that isnt so common with Chinese speakers outside of China. 

Haha. At least there isn't a Chinese equivalent of "oppa" or "noona", if that is what you are asking. People who are unrelated can technically call each other "哥哥/gege/older brother" or "姐姐/jiejie/older sister" or "弟弟/didi/younger brother" or "妹妹/meimei/younger sister", but you generally only call people that if you are close like family/grew up together or see them as a respected senior (if you add 姐/jie or 哥/ge behind their names) or if you are part of a group (like a gang/brotherhood/sect - I am talking about those old martial arts stories hahaha).

I wouldn't call a romantic partner 哥/ge or 姐/jie. That kinda kills the romantic feelings i think. :PI think an indication of romantic feelings is if they have nicknames for each other. Or like condense their names or something. Like if he calls her Ran Ran and that nickname isn't common at all or known among her friends. xD

Edit: Tagged the wrong person. Thanks for pointing that out, @biancardi !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jayyepeee said:

@biancardi Uh there really isn't a way to address older people/younger people in Chinese culture the way it is done in the Korean culture. At least there isn't much differentiation if you are from the same generation. I guess people generally call the people younger than them by their names (without the surname so it is more casual). I know people in China sometimes ask older people to refer to them as "小 + your surname" (Xiao/small + surname). So PXR can technically call CXX "Xiao Chen". You can also address someone that way if you are close to them no matter the age. But that isnt so common with Chinese speakers outside of China. 

Haha. At least there isn't a Chinese equivalent of "oppa" or "noona", if that is what you are asking. People who are unrelated can technically call each other "哥哥/gege/older brother" or "姐姐/jiejie/older sister" or "弟弟/didi/younger brother" or "妹妹/meimei/younger sister", but you generally only call people that if you are close like family/grew up together or see them as a respected senior (if you add 姐/jie or 哥/ge behind their names) or if you are part of a group (like a gang/brotherhood/sect - I am talking about those old martial arts stories hahaha).

I wouldn't call a romantic partner 哥/ge or 姐/jie. That kinda kills the romantic feelings i think. :PI think an indication of romantic feelings is if they have nicknames for each other. Or like condense their names or something. Like if he calls her Ran Ran and that nickname isn't common at all or known among her friends. xD

@jayyepeee  Uh that wasn't me complaining about how they addressed each other

You might want to tag the proper person who was asking about the generational older gap. 

• Like 1

Hace 3 horas, alli dijo:

Hay muchos ensayos sobre esto, pero los resultados generales sobre Weibo es que GXW es odiado mientras les gusta más a LCY, supongo que es porque GXW mató a todo su clan mientras que a LCY no. Creo que LCY amaba a XF más que a GXW y se aseguró de protegerla discretamente de las crueldades del Palacio Oriental. Aunque GXW era más especial para ella porque él era su primer amor, también tenía una agenda oculta y le ocultaba su identidad, mientras que LCY no tenía que hacerlo, por lo tanto, era más veraz en su primera reunión (excepto la parte de gusto de Sese y odiándola) imo. Aunque ambas personas la manipulación y la traición, siento que LCY mostró más culpa (con respecto a las monedas) desde el principio.Pero al final del día, son la misma persona y parte de lo que él es, y ambos saltaron voluntariamente después de XF lol. 

Me gusta LCY más que GXW. No porque él mató a su abuelo, porque siempre creí que esto era un acto de guerra. Pide la rendición al abuelo para salvar a la ciudad de la masacre. Y él tiene que llevar su cabeza al Emperador para salvar a la gente de Danchi.

GXW fue a Xi State para hacer algo y lo hizo sin dudarlo. Y a pesar de lo deslumbrado que estaba por ella. Creo que estaba enamorado de ella pero su amor no era tan profundo. Fue más un enamoramiento. Se entendieron, se divirtieron juntos y él quedó deslumbrado.

Pero LCY realmente amaba a XF. Tal vez mal su forma de cuidarla, siempre la protegió y creo que terminó cegado por los celos. Pero no tengo dudas de que su amor fue más profundo y más intenso que el de GXW. 

To add to the controversy, I believe that XF loved GXW more than he did in State Xi and LCY loved XF more than she did in the Li Empire.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, foeversongsong81 said:

Question: why did she spoke about the fox as her last words? What is the significance in that tied into one of their special moments? Curious why director decided on that.  Thanks in advance for any input.

Also glad they were able to exchange some love confessions before she died. I think that would make the ending sucks if they weren't able to at least speak their truths.

I can't understand Chinese but based off the cut subbed part of that scene I saw, she was referring to "in the end, the fox was unable to wait for the girl". So I guess in this instance, Li Chengyin/Gu Xiao Wu is the fox who is sly and cunning but could not wait patiently for his woman. Which brings me back to my thought of wishing he just gave her time and space after he had regained his memories, she had already escaped with Adu at this point too. He could have tried to prevent any warring conflict between his side and Xi State as well while not suffocating Xiaofeng.

In regards to why she sung that particular song, I think it relates back to when he took her on the boat and asked her to sing a song for him. I'm pretty sure this was the song she sang for him and he had said to choose another song so perhaps he hadn't really been listening to the lyrics at the time. They had both enjoyed eachothers company during this outing too which makes it all more heart wrenching.

Anyways I'm also happy they were able to tell eachother they loved eachother, may have been a little too late but glad it happened before it all ended. I'm also happy they didn't cut the last kiss scene. Hopefully we get an uncut version of all the sweet episodes they cut too!

• Like 8
  • Insightful 2

7 hours ago, HuanHuan Dong said:

6 hours ago, therewillbeddl said:

There are many essays on this but the general consensus on Weibo is that GXW is hated while they like LCY more, I guess it is because GXW killed her whole clan while LCY didnt. I think LCY loved XF more than GXW and made sure to discreetly protect her from the cruelties of the Eastern Palace. Although GXW was more special to her bc he was her first love, he also had a hidden agenda and hid his identity from her, while LCY didn’t really have to, hence was more truthful on their first meeting (except the liking Sese part and hating her) imo. While both personas manipulated and betrayed her, I feel like LCY showed more guilt (regarding the coins) from the very beginning. But then at the end of the day, they’re the same person and part of who he is, and both willingly jumped after XF lol. 

It’s so interesting to  see how others interpret the drama. It seems that some people see the (anti) Hero almost as 2 different people: as either GXW vs LCY.

I never saw our main character as either one or the other.......He has always been both.

Figuratively speaking, ”LCY” and “GXU” were representations of his EXTREME personality. 

“LCY” represented the calculating prince.

“GXW” represented the man who loves XF.

Two different sides of the SAME coin that can’t be separated.

In the beginning, when he is GXW, he’s so in love with XF....but “LCY” (his scheming mind) was always there trying to make the next move.

As LCY, the devious Crown Prince, you could see bits of “GXW” and his love for XF (the snow ball fight, the market, the boat rowing, the bed kissing scenes.)

Out of necessity, he was just great at HIDING one when he was the other....but I saw both sides of his persona all through out the drama...

However, XF RARELY got to see both sides at the same time....and I think that’s what confused her about her feelings for him when she was at Eastern Palace....he always flipped from love/being kind at one moment to cruel/mean the next, hence she both liked and disliked him....but what I think is interesting is that she could always handle his personalities separately....(when he loved her as GXW in ep 1-8, she loved him back...in Eastern palace when he treated XF like crap, our girl fought back and gave him what he deserved and more)

(When he finally gets rid of the Gao family and once he regains his memories) The big problem was when his two extreme personalities meet and he was FINALLY able to express his “complete” self, meaning he was both “LCY” and “GXW” at the SAME time...THATS when we see the cold, scheming, obsessive prince THAT is completely, and utterly in love with XF (to the point of disregarding everything, even her feelings to keep her by his side).....now THAT was just too much for XF. He just had no chill....(like seriously...he needed to chill out)...:o

One of the saddest things (besides her suicide) was that XF loved and only wanted his “GXW” side....and she hated his “LCY” side.....but she couldn’t have one without the other....

• Like 5
  • Insightful 3

So the drama ends .. there won't be another ending right??? B'cos i heard that they will release another version of ending.... will they???

------------------------------------------

i rewatch again ep 49 - 52.. i agree with most of you... if LCY able to just let XF go and give her some time .. she won't kill herself for her people and for him.. so now, no matter how much he waited.. XF no longer come back.. but will meet him in after life.. this is sad... 

Listening to LIttle Fox sing by Ye Li (The ost).. now i get the whole meaning of this song

• Like 1